New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Do YOU pronounce Sigil with a hard or soft G?

Quote Originally Posted by ezekielraiden View Post
    It's the difference between the j sound in "jam" or "jeopardy" ("soft"), and the g sound in "grab" or "glitter" ("hard").

If you're familiar with the typical English pronunciation of "geography," the first g is soft, while the second is hard. "dzhee-oh-gra-fee."
    What invariably throws me is I think the "jam" is a far harder sound then "grab".
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

If I may ask, how do you pronounce "Caesar," "vacuum," "agenda," and/or "homicide"?
    ...Is there a soft way to pronounce vacuum?

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

If I may ask, how do you pronounce "Caesar," "vacuum," "agenda," and/or "homicide"?
    I am not an English native speaker. I pronounce all four of those words differently depending on the language used. Even if Caesar is a name and shouldn't really change but i don't know anyone using the classical pronounciation in daily conversation.

The difference might be that i kinda lack awareness of vigil and sigil as English words even when they pop up in an English text. They are a bit too obscure in English to be really part of a foreigners vocabulary. But i do recognize them as Latin words so i would pronounce them as Latin words. It is not as if there wasn't a habit to pepper English speach with some Latin to sound more sophisticated. There is also the fast that i never have head them with a soft g (because obscure) and would not get the idea to us it on my own.

Quote Originally Posted by Hytheter View Post
    ...Is there a soft way to pronounce vacuum?
    English likes to insert some i-sound between the c and the first u to make the transition easier.
    Last edited by Satinavian; 2021-02-10 at 03:41 PM.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

To be more specific:

Sigil like vigil
    Drow like prow
    Bulette like roulette
    Tiefling like stifling
    Genasi like... I got nothing. Jen-ah-zee

Flind like blind
    Lamia like narnia
    Merrow like mellow
    Satyr like satire
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

5. - Top - End - #65
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kane0 View Post
    Satyr like satire
    So it rhymes with fire?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.

Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

E6 Iron Chef XXI Shared Second Place: The Shadow's Hand

6. - Top - End - #66
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

You know, D&D Beyond has pronunciation sound files for every monster entry in the manual now. So there are "official" pronunciations.

7. - Top - End - #67

Lizardfolk

To be more specific:

Sigil like vigil
    Drow like prow
    Bulette like roulette
    Tiefling like stifling

Flind like blind
    Lamia like narnia
    Merrow like mellow
    Satyr like satire
    I pronounce the same with most of those, save Satyr which I pronounce "Say-Tier" and Lamia which I pronounce "Lah-Mee-ah"
    Professional Ancient Relic
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdeep Merch View Post
    Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

So, funny thing, it actually changes depending on if I'm using it while speaking in English, or in my native language (Finnish). In English I pronounce it with a soft G, but then when I mention the name as part of a sentence spoken in Finnish, it comes out more often with a hard G.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    So please, by Anthony Bourdain's left nut, do not call gravy blood.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekkin View Post
    the only way to get it into space was to build the atmospheric stages on top of it like a 400-ton hat made of fire and structural inadequacy.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

Sigil like vigil
    Drow like prow
    Bulette like roulette
    Tiefling like stifling

Flind like blind
    Lamia like narnia
    Merrow like mellow
    Satyr like satire
    Sigil = sigg-ill
    Tiefling = teef-ling
    Genasi = Geh-na-see (not jeh)
    Flind like wind (that blows)
    Satyr = Sat-ear.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

Satyr should rhyme with greater.

Scro should rhyme with flow.

Minotaur is pronounced 'my-know-tour'.

The h in Birmingham is silent.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dethkruzer View Post
    So, funny thing, it actually changes depending on if I'm using it while speaking in English, or in my native language (Finnish). In English I pronounce it with a soft G, but then when I mention the name as part of a sentence spoken in Finnish, it comes out more often with a hard G.
    I think that I am going to do the opposite. I like the idea that, in English, the city uses a hard G while the symbol uses a soft G. But in French, the only way it would be a hard G is if it were spelled Siguil, like in guillotine (to use a stereotypical example).

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Minotaur is pronounced 'my-know-tour'.
    Min-o-tar

Heretic! Burn the witch!

13. - Top - End - #73

Lizardfolk

I pronounce Gnome as "Evil little cheating creatures"
    -this post was made by the kobold association.
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wizard_Lizard View Post
    I pronounce Gnome as "Evil little cheating creatures"
    -this post was made by the kobold association.
    Ko-bald or Ko-bowl-d?

15. - Top - End - #75
    Barbarian in the Playground

Beholder

If the apocryphal story I've heard is right and "bulette" being pronounced [boo-LAY] is a gag by the TSR boys about French being pretentious, then I have to conclude that the TSR boys were not very funny. You can spell it "bulette" and pronounce it [BULL-et], or you can spell it "bullet" and pronounce it [boo-LAY], but doing both ruins the joke!

I actually started chuckling at a podcast recently that referred to the city of "Nor-witch" in the UK. I've lived in the Midwestern US all my life; I just really like studying British regional accents.

Quote Originally Posted by Millstone85 View Post
    I think that I am going to do the opposite. I like the idea that, in English, the city uses a hard G while the symbol uses a soft G. But in French, the only way it would be a hard G is if it were spelled Siguil, like in guillotine (to use a stereotypical example).
    Your use of the word "guillotine" is kind of ironic - it tends to be an argument-starter with the native English-speaking neophyte etymologists I've met. When I was younger, I got in at least two arguments about whether the L's are pronounced as L or pronounced as a glide (as in "Guillaume"). Which I think is less an argument over how it's supposed to be pronounced and more over to what degree we should adopt the native pronunciation of loanwords.

As for the usual pronunciation arguments, if it's not something from a real-world language or clearly inspired by one, I typically default to Latin rules: I and E are soft vowels, so if they follow C, G, S, or CH, the consonant becomes soft; stress defaults to the penultimate syllable, and you should treat vowel combinations as single syllables. So "sigil" is [SIJ-əl], "genasi" is [jə-NAH-zi], "Arcadia" is [ar-KA-dya] (though I usually say [ar-KAY-dee-ə] because I'm a Midwesterner), etc.

"Tiefling" seems pretty clearly to come from German tief, "deep," so I pronounce if [TEEF-ling] as it would be in German. Same for "kobold," which is actually originally a German word.
    Last edited by quinron; 2021-02-10 at 08:59 PM.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wizard_Lizard View Post
    save Satyr which I pronounce "Say-Tier"
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanarii View Post
    Satyr = Sat-ear.
    Satyr should rhyme with greater.
    Like I said, intentionally wrong :P
    Largely because when I’m DMing and a Satyr appears, satire is its intended function in the game.
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jinjitsu View Post
    I actually started chuckling at a podcast recently that referred to the city of "Nor-witch" in the UK. I've lived in the Midwestern US all my life; I just really like studying British regional accents.
    Shouldn't it be pronounced 'Norrich'? But yeah, UK accents and slang are interesting just because of how much they vary, it's the 'what do you call the most basic playground game' thing.

Oh, and UK place names, especially Frome (rhymes with 'room') Either they're from languages not spoken any more (like Old English) or have sounds missing for easier pronunciation.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    What invariably throws me is I think the "jam" is a far harder sound then "grab".
    One really has to take the whole hard/soft thing as a 'we need a boolean adjective, and there's no specific reason to give one or the other a given name' situation (completely different example used for illustration: electrons being 'negative' and protons being 'positive' is a completely arbitrary decision). I guess you could say that a 'hard' g is hard because it involves bringing your hard teeth together to help form the sound while a 'soft' g uses just soft tissue to create, but that's completely arbitrary (and fails when you consider hard and soft Cs).
    EDIT: As has been noted below, I got my hard and soft g switched in this example. Which, honestly, considering the overall point being made, is almost perfect!
    Ko-bald or Ko-bowl-d?
    Growing up, we --a group of kids who learned most of these words exclusively from books and the occasional inquiry to adults (who would know how to pronounce words like charisma or chaotic, but probably didn't know kobold or lamassu or the like) -- always thought it was ka-bowl-d (I guess kind of like 'cobbled'). No idea why.

If the apocryphal story I've heard is right and "bulette" being pronounced [boo-LAY] is a gag by the TSR boys about French being pretentious, then I have to conclude that the TSR boys were not very funny. You can spell it "bulette" and pronounce it [BULL-et], or you can spell it "bullet" and pronounce it [boo-LAY], but doing both ruins the joke!
    I've conversed with a few insiders to the early days of gaming and/or TSR, and one thing they all seem to allude to is a general 'look, no one thought that people would be over-analyzing this stuff forty years later, much less taking it seriously. A lot of this stuff is accidental, or was mildly funny at the time, or happened in the playtest gaming and we just ran with it. Who knew it would take on a life of its own.' and I think that shows. The material components for Lightning bolt are a glass rod rubbed with fur because of supposed historic static electricity experiments, and fireball requires guano and Sulphur because those were part of gunpowder creation -- why? Because Gary thought it was funny (those two to me being prime examples of 'jokes' that aren't really jokes at all, so much as just strange allusions). Gelatinous Cube was apparently originally just a giant-ified (as in 'attack of the 50-foot _____'-style) single-celled organism of no particular shape that was squeezing through a square-shaped tunnel and someone thought it would be cool/funny if it retained that shape once it got past the tunnel. None of it was supposed to survive the close scrutiny we later have applied to it any more than comic book continuity or other things the creators didn't know we'd still be thinking about years later.
    Not that that makes the joke suddenly funny, I'm just saying that it is unsurprising.
    Last edited by Willie the Duck; 2021-02-11 at 02:53 PM.

19. - Top - End - #79

Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    One really has to take the whole hard/soft thing as a 'we need a boolean adjective, and there's no specific reason to give one or the other a given name' situation (completely different example used for illustration: electrons being 'negative' and protons being 'positive' is a completely arbitrary decision). I guess you could say that a 'hard' g is hard because it involves bringing your hard teeth together to help form the sound while a 'soft' g uses just soft tissue to create, but that's completely arbitrary (and fails when you consider hard and soft Cs).

Growing up, we --a group of kids who learned most of these words exclusively from books and the occasional inquiry to adults (who would know how to pronounce words like charisma or chaotic, but probably didn't know kobold or lamassu or the like) -- always thought it was ka-bowl-d (I guess kind of like 'cobbled'). No idea why.

I've conversed with a few insiders to the early days of gaming and/or TSR, and one thing they all seem to allude to is a general 'look, no one thought that people would be over-analyzing this stuff forty years later, much less taking it seriously. A lot of this stuff is accidental, or was mildly funny at the time, or happened in the playtest gaming and we just ran with it. Who knew it would take on a life of its own.' and I think that shows. The material components for Lightning bolt are a glass rod rubbed with fur because of supposed historic static electricity experiments, and fireball requires guano and Sulphur because those were part of gunpowder creation -- why? Because Gary thought it was funny (those two to me being prime examples of 'jokes' that aren't really jokes at all, so much as just strange allusions). Gelatinous Cube was apparently originally just a giant-ified (as in 'attack of the 50-foot _____'-style) single-celled organism of no particular shape that was squeezing through a square-shaped tunnel and someone thought it would be cool/funny if it retained that shape once it got past the tunnel. None of it was supposed to survive the close scrutiny we later have applied to it any more than comic book continuity or other things the creators didn't know we'd still be thinking about years later.
    Not that that makes the joke suddenly funny, I'm just saying that it is unsurprising.
    The original humor of the jokes themselves may be gone, but the nerd-rage over such things does put a smile on my face.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

Like I said, intentionally wrong :P
    Largely because when I’m DMing and a Satyr appears, satire is its intended function in the game.
    Given that all three of us you quoted pronounce Satyr wildly differently, I'm not sure your Sa-tire is any more wrong.

Kabbled sounds like a great option for Kobold to me. Although it's considerably different from Ka-bowled.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Ko-bald or Ko-bowl-d?
    kobbld, of course.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

22. - Top - End - #82

COB-old

I first saw the word in allcaps in the NES game Hydlide. My buddy went with the long 'o' for both vowels, but we agreed on the placement of the 'b'.
    “Rule is what lies between what is said and what is understood.”
    ~Raja Rudatha, the Spider Prince
    Golem Arcana

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ettin in the Playground

Whoops, you got that backward. Hard "g" is like grab or giggle. Soft 'g' is like giant or giraffe.

The hard 'g' sound is sharp. You make it by closing your throat. You cannot sustain a hard 'g'; it's a singular sound, like hitting a drum.
    The soft 'g' can be sustained, and it's made by air flowing between your teeth and tongue. It's very similar to the 'sh' sound, with a hum thrown in.
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2021-02-11 at 02:34 PM.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    Whoops, you got that backward. Hard "g" is like grab or giggle. Soft 'g' is like giant or giraffe.

The hard 'g' sound is sharp. You make it by closing your throat. You cannot sustain a hard 'g'; it's a singular sound, like hitting a drum.
    The soft 'g' can be sustained, and it's made by air flowing between your teeth and tongue. It's very similar to the 'sh' sound, with a hum thrown in.
    <checks notes> Hey, you're right! In which case my analogy fails for both hard/soft Cs and Gs.
    That does exemplify my main point, however, that the entire hard/soft thing is fairly arbitrary and you can only get it right by knowing the convention and following it.

25. - Top - End - #85

Lizardfolk

Ko-bald or Ko-bowl-d?
    Koh- Bowl-d.
    The ko-balds are the ones that are unfortunately born without scales...
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

That sight is dynamite.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Barbarian in the Playground

Beholder

Shouldn't it be pronounced 'Norrich'? But yeah, UK accents and slang are interesting just because of how much they vary, it's the 'what do you call the most basic playground game' thing.

Oh, and UK place names, especially Frome (rhymes with 'room') Either they're from languages not spoken any more (like Old English) or have sounds missing for easier pronunciation.
    My go-to's to frustrate people out are always Leicester and Worcester, which both seem to be spelled with one more syllable than they're pronounced with.

I recently moved to Kansas City, and there's a suburb here called Kearney. I figured they might pronounce it either [KEER-nee] or [KAER-nee]; nope, it's pronounced like "carny."

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

My go-to's to frustrate people out are always Leicester and Worcester, which both seem to be spelled with one more syllable than they're pronounced with.

I recently moved to Kansas City, and there's a suburb here called Kearney. I figured they might pronounce it either [KEER-nee] or [KAER-nee]; nope, it's pronounced like "carny."
    It's because the syllable was dropper for easier pronunciation, if I'm remembering correctly.

And oh, there's annoying place names all over, ust the UK seems to have a bit more due to historical reasons.

Family names are even better. Featherstonehaugh, for instance.

Show

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

Family names are even better. Featherstonehaugh, for instance.
    Let me guess: Fetter-stun-hug?

29. - Top - End - #89
    Colossus in the Playground

Let me guess: Fetter-stun-hug?
    Fan-shaw.

For bonus points: try Toolmake, Bagehot, Talliafero, Buccleugh, Cholmondeley or Wriothesley

Spoiler
    Show
    Dolmash, Badjet, Tolliver, Beh-clue, Chum-lee.
    The last one is a trick question and can be pronounced Riz-lee, Rize-lee or Rocks-lee, depending on the family.

I love the English aristocracy, sometimes. I collect these names.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2021-02-12 at 07:03 AM.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Fan-shaw.

Yup.
    Together with all the "Leicester is pronounced Lester" type places this makes me think British names get frail with age so some parts of them just fall of. It's the only logical conclusion.