New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Default Re: Silliest Material in 3.5e?

Feats have already been brought up in a general sense, but I'd like to bring special attention to Power Attack. Being able to put a little more "oomph" in an attack, but sacrificing control in doing so makes sense and doesn't seem silly at all to me. But, being a feat, a special technique that you need to dedicate training to in order to pull off, that's just wacky in my book.

While that's one of the biggest offenders to me, so many of the Fighter feats in the Player's Handbook just feel like they took something every fighter should be able to do, like fire an arrow into melee or bull rush someone, then gated them behind feats. It just all feels like padding. And there still aren't enough feats in core for a 20th level Fighter to have anything to be excited over picking for his "capstone".

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

Trying to balance (including the relevant assumptions about its doability or intentionality) the game over 20+ levels between those who can't meaningfully cast and those who can.
    Quote Originally Posted by GPuzzle View Post
    And I do agree that the right answer to the magic/mundane problem is to make everyone badass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    If you're of a philosophical bent, the powergamer is a great example of Heidegger's modern technological man, who treats a game's mechanics as a standing reserve of undifferentiated resources that are to be used for his goals.
    My Complete Tome of Battle Maneuver/Stance/Class Overhaul

Arseplomancy = Fanatic Tarrasque!

3. - Top - End - #63
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGirl

The fact that the Epic Level Handbook mostly just presents "epic" threats and creatures as the same as normal but with bigger numbers. All around the expectation that people have a small tactical fight match in a dungeon even when the players are creating and travelling between planes with epic magics.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ottriman View Post
    The fact that the Epic Level Handbook mostly just presents "epic" threats and creatures as the same as normal but with bigger numbers. All around the expectation that people have a small tactical fight match in a dungeon even when the players are creating and travelling between planes with epic magics.
    Then you get an epic creature or two with epic spells that just devastate a huge section of a country on casting.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

I made a thread precisely about this subject a few years ago.

For starters, this is what I opened the thread with:

Quote Originally Posted by Magic of Incarnum, p13
    In settlements where rilkans are the majority, other races are welcomed with open arms. This extends even to bugbears, orcs, gnolls, and other “monstrous” races, as long as they keep the peace. In one famous rilkan city, the head of the Sewer Workers Guild is an intelligent gelatinous cube.
    That should probably give you the idea of what's in there.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Colossus in the Playground

The Monk's capstone ability seems to be written with the assumption that at level 20 you're only ever going to be fighting ordinary low-level monsters and people with non-magical weaponry.

Also, the alignment and multiclass restrictions on Monk are all kind of stupid.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    The Monk's capstone ability seems to be written with the assumption that at level 20 you're only ever going to be fighting ordinary low-level monsters and people with non-magical weaponry.

Also, the alignment and multiclass restrictions on Monk are all kind of stupid.
    Aside from maybe Flurry of Blows, it feels like they stretched out six levels' worth of abilities across twenty.

You know, I'm not sure how much of the imbalance of some classes was incompetence and how much was intentional.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Firbolg in the Playground

Rogues don't get a capstone at all. In fact, there's almost no reason at all to take rogue 20 that wouldn't be better served in some other class.

And taking wizard or sorcerer 1 is more powerful than monk 20. At least they can "slow fall" (feather fall) without being next to a wall. They can also make their weapons magical via magic weapon. They can also be the recipients of enlarge person (if humanoid), which is more than monk 20s can do. Which is just sad.
    Last edited by MaxiDuRaritry; 2021-02-09 at 12:23 PM.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGirl

How about class skills? It's never made much sense to me why, for example, a fighter who wants to learn Use Rope or Diplomacy can only do so at a severe penalty.

My DM uses a house rule called "skills by character," which gives each character 20 skill slots to choose as personal "class skills," and can be whatever the character wants. So effectively it does away with the "class skill" concept for all but the most extreme players taking the "jack of all trades, master of none" approach to character progression. (The 20 skill slots are supposed to be chosen at character creation, but in practice, the DM doesn't really enforce this.)

I can't really see any downside to this approach. Is there anything game-breaking about letting characters take whatever the hell they want to put skill points in?

10. - Top - End - #70
    Bugbear in the Playground

UMD abuse mostly. But its a tax for martials often enough, and definately for skill monkies, but it lets you remain relevant by being your own primary buff supplier. Or wizards taking skill monkey spotlight time but beguiler does that already. Pushes your tiers further apart because your int based caster classes can even more obliviate the need for a skill monkey, and cha based casters do an ecen better job of being a face. All the SAD classes get better, and it adds more MAD to already MAD classes.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Barbarian in the Playground

Multi-class penalties?
    Spoiler: How to fix T1 classes:
    Show
    There are more posts on the forums about how to nerf T1, than there are posts about T1 characters ruining games. I would say the problem is solved!

Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    This? This isn't a slice of brilliance. This is the whole freaking pie.

When you play the game of pwns, you're either w1n or n00b. There is no middle ground.

12. - Top - End - #72

In my eyes, the Special prerequisites for Swiftblade is one of the silliest things written for that edition.

It makes sense, but they stopped just short of saying "you have an addiction, a need for speed" in that prestige class' description.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RexDart View Post
    How about class skills? It's never made much sense to me why, for example, a fighter who wants to learn Use Rope or Diplomacy can only do so at a severe penalty.

My DM uses a house rule called "skills by character," which gives each character 20 skill slots to choose as personal "class skills," and can be whatever the character wants. So effectively it does away with the "class skill" concept for all but the most extreme players taking the "jack of all trades, master of none" approach to character progression. (The 20 skill slots are supposed to be chosen at character creation, but in practice, the DM doesn't really enforce this.)

I can't really see any downside to this approach. Is there anything game-breaking about letting characters take whatever the hell they want to put skill points in?
    Most such things are there for niche protection, like Trapfinding existing at all -- would it really hurt the game to let a Monk or Ranger find the traps?

Quote Originally Posted by Wildstag View Post
    In my eyes, the Special prerequisites for Swiftblade is one of the silliest things written for that edition.

It makes sense, but they stopped just short of saying "you have an addiction, a need for speed" in that prestige class' description.
    ... a sickness for quickness, a taste for haste ...

14. - Top - End - #74
    Bugbear in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    Most such things are there for niche protection, like Trapfinding existing at all -- would it really hurt the game to let a Monk or Ranger find the traps?
    That's another aspect that bugged me, Track is a feat that anyone can take, but trapfinding is far more niche.

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    ... a sickness for quickness, a taste for haste ...
    A particularity towards alacrity, an agreeability towards agility?
    Longtime lurker, Infrequent poster.

Avalanche in Hell of the Improbability Drive Fan Club

15. - Top - End - #75
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGirl

Can I simply nominate the entire design of the Monk class?

MAD as heck, cannot use a lot of gear all that well, flurry of blows is more flurry of misses and class features in general mostly just seem to compensate for not using equipment without pushing any past that.

Meaning that a fighter can get most of this stuff through gear... But also have bonus feats on top....

It's sad that even core fighter is better than Monk, but Monk was still believed to be strong because its abilities were flashier than fighter ones.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

MAD as heck, cannot use a lot of gear all that well, flurry of blows is more flurry of misses and class features in general mostly just seem to compensate for not using equipment without pushing any past that.

Meaning that a fighter can get most of this stuff through gear... But also have bonus feats on top....

It's sad that even core fighter is better than Monk, but Monk was still believed to be strong because its abilities were flashier than fighter ones.
    Among other things they vastly underestimated everything that wasn't damage; I hear the playtesters were horrible at optimization. The druid did nothing but use their returning throwing scimitar and the wizard didn't do much besides Fireball.

Sometimes I wonder if they intentionally hosed martials, but that's probably not it.

Extended sig here.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGirl

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Among other things they vastly underestimated everything that wasn't damage; I hear the playtesters were horrible at optimization. The druid did nothing but use their returning throwing scimitar and the wizard didn't do much besides Fireball.

Sometimes I wonder if they intentionally hosed martials, but that's probably not it.
    Yeah, lack of playtesting was a huge problem with 3,5 edition in general.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ettin in the Playground

Also the testing team fought a balor with the wizard using only magic weapon, a bow and a quiver full of arrows(like Why???) and somehow for some reason the wizard did more damage than the others.(I believe mostly through luck with critical strikes)
    Last edited by noob; 2021-02-10 at 08:36 AM.

19. - Top - End - #79

One of the reasons I see people liking gestalt so much is that a gestalt monk/fighter is actually semi-capable of what base monk is supposed to be.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ettin in the Playground

One of the reasons I see people liking gestalt so much is that a gestalt monk/fighter is actually semi-capable of what base monk is supposed to be.
    Gestalting monk barbarian probably makes life easier than monk fighter.

21. - Top - End - #81

Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    Gestalting monk barbarian probably makes life easier than monk fighter.
    Only if you ignore alignment restrictions: Barbarians must be non-Lawful while Monks can only be Lawful.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

Also the testing team fought a balor with the wizard using only magic weapon, a bow and a quiver full of arrows(like Why???) and somehow for some reason the wizard did more damage than the others.(I believe mostly through luck with critical strikes)
    This is one of the things that fuel my probably-irrational conspiracy theory that they intentionally tanked martial options to make "jock" type characters suck.

Extended sig here.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ettin in the Playground

Only if you ignore alignment restrictions: Barbarians must be non-Lawful while Monks can only be Lawful.
    use ordered chaos?

Your alignment is not affected by the Abyssal heritor feats you possess. Spells and effects that are keyed to alignment affect you as if you were chaotic, as well as your actual alignment. For example, you become immune to spells such as chaos hammer and word of chaos, you could wield an anarchic weapon without fear of gaining a negative level, and you could take the Primordial Scion feat despite its chaotic alignment prerequisite
    It says spells and effects counts you as if you were both loyal and chaotic but then mentions filling the requirements of a feat needing chaotic alignment as a possibility(so it means it is probably legitimate to use that to fill prerequisites)

I am not sure if that feat should enter the silly category or not.(but it is one more data point toward effect being extremely vague and encompassing)
    Last edited by noob; 2021-02-10 at 09:14 AM.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

Let us meditate on the truths of life in peace and solitude... AFTER I RIP YOUR FACE OFF.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGirl

Gestalt is actually a very good way to make less viable concepts better in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Calthropstu View Post
    Let us meditate on the truths of life in peace and solitude... AFTER I RIP YOUR FACE OFF.
    Now that's something a murderhobo can get behind!

26. - Top - End - #86

The Mountebank class in Dragon Compendium's capstone gives you the half-fiend template for free... but also takes away control of the character.

There's no other class I can think of that actively punishes you for taking it to 20.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by calam View Post
    The fact that longer lived races age slowly rather than just spending more time in their prime so elves take over a century to become an adult.
    Right? This was bothering me recently. If time to adulthood really is retarded, then all long-lived races should have wisdom bonuses and extra skill points, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Deeds View Post
    Caster backstories require a reason as to why they can cast spells. Wizards study hard to learn spells. Sorcerers often learn of their powers and then hone them through traveling. Clerics use piety to find the gift of spells through the gods or their ideals. Druids shun deodorant until a riding dog appears and they learn Entangle.
    Zom, my imaginary hat is off to you. *Horns? *What horns? *It's just an unusual hairstyle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    There are certain advantages to a game being as badly written as 3.5.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

I've worked succesfully with D&D races, and seen others have - but the book expects you to approach them in a way that doesn't make any ****ing sense. They can all gain EXP at the same rate, they all think just as quickly on their feat, but elves have centuries to gather their experiences. Yet they just mingle with humans like it's nothing, and level 1 elves are just walking all over the place instead of being treated by their parents as junior-high students who need to grow up and have basic capabilities before facing the outside world.

The lifespans of Elves and Dwarves are influenced by Tolkien, except his world treated those things as significant, and made sense.

Other than that, another aspect I find silly is the way intimidation works in combat, especially with imperious command. "Oh god, I'm really scared of that guy. I'm going to drop my wepaon, go down to my knees and surrender for 6 seconds before getting back up and fighting like nothing ever happened." Works nothing close to any real world fear reaction I've seen or experienced.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Harrow View Post
    Feats have already been brought up in a general sense, but I'd like to bring special attention to Power Attack. Being able to put a little more "oomph" in an attack, but sacrificing control in doing so makes sense and doesn't seem silly at all to me. But, being a feat, a special technique that you need to dedicate training to in order to pull off, that's just wacky in my book.

While that's one of the biggest offenders to me, so many of the Fighter feats in the Player's Handbook just feel like they took something every fighter should be able to do, like fire an arrow into melee or bull rush someone, then gated them behind feats. It just all feels like padding. And there still aren't enough feats in core for a 20th level Fighter to have anything to be excited over picking for his "capstone".
    Yeah a houserule I currently run in my games is that every full BAB class gets PA for free. Even that may be too restrictive honestly, it should probably just be a choice you can make on melee attacks no matter your class.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deeds View Post
    Caster backstories require a reason as to why they can cast spells. Wizards study hard to learn spells. Sorcerers often learn of their powers and then hone them through traveling. Clerics use piety to find the gift of spells through the gods or their ideals. Druids shun deodorant until a riding dog appears and they learn Entangle.
    Zom, my imaginary hat is off to you. *Horns? *What horns? *It's just an unusual hairstyle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    There are certain advantages to a game being as badly written as 3.5.

30. - Top - End - #90

Yeah, lack of playtesting was a huge problem with 3,5 edition in general.
    The druid example was from the 3.0 playtest, and their build appeared in "Enemies and Allies", which was released in 2001. Also it was a +2 KEEN throwing returning scimitar! Also they took Improved Critical (Scimitar) and Scribe Scroll. At least, that's what was in their level 15 build.

As near as I can tell, that wasn't part of the 3.5 playtest, that was an entirely separate story. It is featured in the article "Tactics in Action" on the WotC archives, specifically in the "Tactics and Tips" line of articles. It is dated to August 2005, which would put it a couple years AFTER 3.5 was released.