Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Hell's rebels - In Hell's bright shadow [ dnd 5e OOC ]

Wool of Barbatos is an upscale place. It lies in temple district. Rexus says the place is very open and 'not pretentious'. Visiting Big Wicket is easy enough. It's not far from Longshoreman's.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm seeing K'tak and Hep, presumably Rexus and I'm guessing Andvari going to the restaurant and then having a long rest.

Copper already started resting and doesn't really benefit from the restaurant experience, so maybe Copper and Caelin are having a rest first and then going to scout the stable beforehand?

Orion's kind of in severe need of a long rest and would stick out at the restaurant in his street-wear, so maybe he goes with Copper and Caelin to the stable?

Would this be a reasonable assumption for the next scene?

3. - Top - End - #183
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Smilex View Post
    I'm seeing K'tak and Hep, presumably Rexus and I'm guessing Andvari going to the restaurant and then having a long rest.

Copper already started resting and doesn't really benefit from the restaurant experience, so maybe Copper and Caelin are having a rest first and then going to scout the stable beforehand?

Orion's kind of in severe need of a long rest and would stick out at the restaurant in his street-wear, so maybe he goes with Copper and Caelin to the stable?

Works for me if it works for everyone! I can amend my post if needed, or continue per DM acceleration. My only goal at going to the inn first was throwing on a disguise, nothing else important - blond wig done up in a man's ponytail, a bit of makeup to look a bit more flushed and vibrant, less shady clothing.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ogre in the Playground

@StoneSeraph: Now you're being something of a jerk. You continue to needle Caelin, and insult him in an internal monolouge for **not** PvPing you, when we just agreed, as players, that we wouldn't. Caelin is a murderer, and a stone cold killer who told you not to imitate his voice, and you did. And he is a scary, scary person, so the fact that you chose to pretend your character, who would indeed drop to 2d6+4, or at least be seriously injured by it, is entirely non-plussed is very meta, and more than a little irritating.

Would you prefer me to **have** attacked?

5. - Top - End - #185
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Prime View Post
    @StoneSeraph: Now you're being something of a jerk. You continue to needle Caelin, and insult him in an internal monolouge for **not** PvPing you, when we just agreed, as players, that we wouldn't. Caelin is a murderer, and a stone cold killer who told you not to imitate his voice, and you did. And he is a scary, scary person, so the fact that you chose to pretend your character, who would indeed drop to 2d6+4, or at least be seriously injured by it, is entirely non-plussed is very meta, and more than a little irritating.

Would you prefer me to **have** attacked?
    !!

You make good points. I apologize.

I had approached that post from the idea that Hep's own background would have brought about some experience in dealing with other criminals or extortion victims who approach problems with the threat of violence, then fall short when considering it may not pan out in their favor. A more appropriate response would be along the lines of, "Dying in a foreign city over mocking a local is a bad thing. Still learned a lot, but let's play it cautiously," or skipping the internals all together.

I'll amend the post accordingly and be more mindful in the future.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ogre in the Playground

Thank you! There's certainly a balance to playing characters who grate in the fiction without demeaning the impact of that rivalry because we, as players, are respectful enough to not carry through with threats that, in fiction, may not be idle.

I want us, OOC, to work together even if, IC, we grumble about one another. Heh.

If my OOC post came off as harsh, I apologize, woke up after 4 hours sleep to go into work for the sixth day in a row.

Didn't mean to be short if it came off like that.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

@Smilex, your plan of us dividing up makes sense to me, but it seems like Zero/Caelin want to explore the stable now, and that is something Orion cannot do.

@everyone, I feel like all of us meeting for the first time has not gone smoothly, but maybe our characters will have time to sit down and learn more about each other later, like after the livery perhaps.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Continental Op View Post
    @everyone, I feel like all of us meeting for the first time has not gone smoothly, but maybe our characters will have time to sit down and learn more about each other later, like after the livery perhaps.
    I'd actually say this was a good thing. We got to see how the characters act after a rather... stressful situation, tired and possibly hurt after a dangerous battle. The notion that despite some of them having never met each other before, they didn't kill each other or even outright try aside from Caelin's threats I would say was as good as could be expected.

And it's always nice to know what buttons a character may have that one shouldn't push.
    Last edited by Zalphier; 2021-02-26 at 12:57 PM.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ettin in the Playground

I’ll take the rest.

I need to prep my spells. Should I stick with the spells I have, or change any out? In character, I’ll have a “prayer book” I show the other characters and that will justify the “let’s talk about what magic I should use tomorrow” in game.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Yeah, Andvari would give Caelin space and be more comfortable recouping before going out to do more, so restaurant makes sense. Although, he could also go with Orion so that no one would be alone, if @Continental Op wants.

Won't post IC till later tonight, but their option works.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zhentarim View Post
    I’ll take the rest.

I need to prep my spells. Should I stick with the spells I have, or change any out? In character, I’ll have a “prayer book” I show the other characters and that will justify the “let’s talk about what magic I should use tomorrow” in game.
    For OOC discussion, how did the group feel about having 1 healer? I like Copper as an attacking style cleric but extra heals never hurts. I'll keep Cure Wounds and take one of Detect Magic/Disguise Self/Sanctuary.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by CaoimhinTheCape View Post
    For OOC discussion, how did the group feel about having 1 healer? I like Copper as an attacking style cleric but extra heals never hurts. I'll keep Cure Wounds and take one of Detect Magic/Disguise Self/Sanctuary.
    I thought it went alright. Course that was one fight.

K'tak will be going druid later on, spending most fights shapeshifted and raging, but she can help with heals out of combat and in combat should things turn dire
    Last edited by Zalphier; 2021-02-26 at 04:08 PM.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Does Copper have room to take Healing Word? That's good for a battle cleric, right? Since it is a bonus action? I will admit, this suggestion is purely self-centered, Orion being the squishiest target of all of us. The more healing the better for him. :)

And thanks for the offer, Caoimhin, but Andvari can go with the others to dinner. I'm alright if Orion sits out a little while and rests up.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ogre in the Playground

Ok, I'll address the recent events at this point.

There was conflict. There was fault on both sides. I gave a warning. Everybody ignored it but soon after made nice and tried to fix things... but what followed was a character literally leaving the group.
    We had private messages. Based on those messages I have reason to believe that there were going to be further problems in the interplay of the six players we've got. To avoid further problems, the game will for now continue with five players.

I'm quite sad of the turn of events. Yet the adventure runs best with 3to5 players. And frankly, interpersonal conflict tends to severely hurt groups. Even good people aren't immune to bad chemistry. Ultimately such things aren't really anyone's fault so full respect to everyone going forward.
    Stone, Continental, Zhentarim, Caoimhin, Zalphier, please try to have a good game.

I will now progress the IC thread.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground

Your game, your call. I am, however, a little disappointed that I woke up this morning to respond to your DM, to find the decision had been made for me. I apologize that, after a 60+ hour work week, I prioritized family over a game. For what it's worth I felt the issues had been resolved, and was ready to carry on, however that appears to have not been the case.

To those of you, whose characters I was looking forward to interacting with, have a good one, and good gaming! Best of luck and good gaming.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ok, I'll address the recent events at this point.

There was conflict. There was fault on both sides. I gave a warning. Everybody ignored it but soon after made nice and tried to fix things... but what followed was a character literally leaving the group.
    We had private messages. Based on those messages I have reason to believe that there were going to be further problems in the interplay of the six players we've got. To avoid further problems, the game will for now continue with five players.

I'm quite sad of the turn of events. Yet the adventure runs best with 3to5 players. And frankly, interpersonal conflict tends to severely hurt groups. Even good people aren't immune to bad chemistry. Ultimately such things aren't really anyone's fault so full respect to everyone going forward.
    Stone, Continental, Zhentarim, Caoimhin, Zalphier, please try to have a good game.

I will now progress the IC thread.
    All for moving forward, DM. To all, I apologize for my own role in the matter; sidetracking the game with the events that occurred outside of it was impolite of me and thus unfair to you. I will be more mindful of my actions in the future, as I believe that is owed at the very least.

As for the livery, do we have a marching order or anyone who wants to go first inside? I'm still a bit squishy at the moment and better for buffs/debuffs once things hit the fan.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ogre in the Playground

Here's an initial map of the stable. You are of course currently still outside, but this is to make it easier to understand the size of the place. I also prefer to put slightly more map than the currently visible areas in PBP. Cuts down on the number of maps that have to be posted and balances slightly the fact that it's not easy to give as much info in PBP as at tabletop.
    Spoiler: MAP
    Show

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ettin in the Playground

As it stands right now, I have 15 wisdom, which gives me 2 spells plus my level every day to select and change out as I wish.

As a forge cleric, I always have Identify and Searing Strike prepared and this does not count against my limit. Spare the Dying, Light, and Toll the Dead are my cantrips.

After this rest, based on everybody’s suggestions, I will prepare Cure Light Wounds, Shield of Faith, and Bless.

I could trade out Shield of Faith or Bless for Detect Magic, however. Just remember that as a level 1 cleric, I only have 2 spell slots of 1st level to cast, so there is that to consider. I could always opt not to cast my non-cantrip spells to save up to cure who I need to, or to detect whatever magic I need to detect.

I’m leaning towards bless being the one I trade out if that’s what everybody else wants.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ogre in the Playground

@Continental: Some gms would call that a readied spell is lost unless it's cast within a round. I don't. Since you rolled the dice, I say that you've expended the spellslot but you have the spell on hold while you can concentrate on it.

Apparently your intention was to cast on the dogs as they wake up.

Now waking up creatures from sleep takes an action by rules. Let's see how this plays out.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ettin in the Playground

@Continental: Some gms would call that a readied spell is lost unless it's cast within a round. I don't. Since you rolled the dice, I say that you've expended the spellslot but you have the spell on hold while you can concentrate on it.

Apparently your intention was to cast on the dogs as they wake up.

Now waking up creatures from sleep takes an action by rules. Let's see how this plays out.
    I thought it was odd we were casting on already sleeping dogs, but I guess magical sleep is a deeper sleep?

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zhentarim View Post
    I thought it was odd we were casting on already sleeping dogs, but I guess magical sleep is a deeper sleep?
    It's a bit deeper, not THAT much though. It's funny. You start barking in a room full of sleeping dogs, all the dogs wake up.
    You start barking in a room full of magically sleeping dogs, one of them wakes up. Next turn another...

22. - Top - End - #202
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

So if I roll the dice that means the action happens? I was trying to roll just in case, to save everyone time. Especially because I will not be able to post for the next 30 hours. But I will remember that ruling and play accordingly.

And about magical sleep, I've never played that sound can wake someone or something up. The spell description says that it takes damage or an action to shake awake a magical sleeper. Here is the pertinent sentence: "Starting with the creature that has the lowest current hit points, each creature affected by this spell falls unconscious until the spell ends, the sleeper takes damage, or someone uses an action to shake or slap the sleeper awake."

But if you want to play it that way, I again will remember that for future reference.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ogre in the Playground

So if I roll the dice that means the action happens? I was trying to roll just in case, to save everyone time. Especially because I will not be able to post for the next 30 hours. But I will remember that ruling and play accordingly.

And about magical sleep, I've never played that sound can wake someone or something up. The spell description says that it takes damage or an action to shake awake a magical sleeper. Here is the pertinent sentence: "Starting with the creature that has the lowest current hit points, each creature affected by this spell falls unconscious until the spell ends, the sleeper takes damage, or someone uses an action to shake or slap the sleeper awake."

But if you want to play it that way, I again will remember that for future reference.
    In general rolling dice means the action is chosen and committed to. I'm ok if you want to withdraw this one as I suspect you thought the dogs would have already woken up. If dice rolls are required and player isn't doing it, I'll roll the dice. I'll be rolling a lot of dice on behalf of people for stuff like perception, investigation etc. all the time. I'll also assume you're stealthing occasionally, such as in this case I rolled for Hep's stealth even though he didn't call stealth or roll it.

As for the spell description. Unintentional noise doesn't wake people up from magical sleep. Being in a cart that shakes around doesn't wake people up from magical sleep. Game mechanic calls for an action. You stop to yell for a turn into somebody's ear, that will wake them up. Action expended. Even though the spell literally says shake or slap, surely no one thinks that kicking or pouring water over or choking or putting rotting fish up someone's nose doesn't work? It's a game balance issue more than anything.

If you say that you slap someone lightly you can wake them up but its an action. Even if you've got four attacks, you still can't wake up four people without damaging them.

EDIT-add:
    Of course it needs to be somewhat situational and it's not just an action economy thing. If you can't do something that would reasonably wake a deeply sleeping person up, expending the action doesn't help. ... Let's say your friend is on a moving cart in a market square where there's already shaking and noise. Somebody casts sleep on them. If you're yelling at a distance of 50 yards, that probably won't wake them up even if you spend a turn.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

In general rolling dice means the action is chosen and committed to. I'm ok if you want to withdraw this one as I suspect you thought the dogs would have already woken up. If dice rolls are required and player isn't doing it, I'll roll the dice. I'll be rolling a lot of dice on behalf of people for stuff like perception, investigation etc. all the time. I'll also assume you're stealthing occasionally, such as in this case I rolled for Hep's stealth even though he didn't call stealth or roll it.

As for the spell description. Unintentional noise doesn't wake people up from magical sleep. Being in a cart that shakes around doesn't wake people up from magical sleep. Game mechanic calls for an action. You stop to yell for a turn into somebody's ear, that will wake them up. Action expended. Even though the spell literally says shake or slap, surely no one thinks that kicking or pouring water over or choking or putting rotting fish up someone's nose doesn't work? It's a game balance issue more than anything.

If you say that you slap someone lightly you can wake them up but its an action. Even if you've got four attacks, you still can't wake up four people without damaging them.
    Okay, that makes sense. And thanks for the quick explanation. So the dog using an action to bark is equivalent to shaking someone awake, which is why it is one at a time.

Since you were already nice and allowed Orion to "hold" the spell if/until it becomes necessary, I won't change his action. He can hang back and "cover" the group for when (in his mind) the dogs inevitably wake up. He's probably still shaken up from his near-death experience the day before, and is hyper-focused on the apparent danger.

@everyone: enjoy, gang. Catch you all tomorrow.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, that makes sense. And thanks for the quick explanation. So the dog using an action to bark is equivalent to shaking someone awake, which is why it is one at a time.

Since you were already nice and allowed Orion to "hold" the spell if/until it becomes necessary, I won't change his action. He can hang back and "cover" the group for when (in his mind) the dogs inevitably wake up. He's probably still shaken up from his near-death experience the day before, and is hyper-focused on the apparent danger.

@everyone: enjoy, gang. Catch you all tomorrow.
    Bye. Have fun with whatever you're doing!

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ogre in the Playground

@StoneSeraph:
    You can try to pick the lock with disadvantage (for not having the thieves' tools) or you can try to force the gate with athletics.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Dwarf in the Playground

@StoneSeraph:
    You can try to pick the lock with disadvantage (for not having the thieves' tools) or you can try to force the gate with athletics.
    Hmm... Athletics is the better call, then, but I don't want to wake up the dogs (yes, technically, they need to be "shaken or slapped awake").
    Let's go with the Disadvantage roll, then. If my Dexterity bonus (+3) applies, then that should hopefully help, but I won't add that to the rolls in case it's disallowed.
    (1d20)[1]
    (1d20)[13]

EDIT: LOL. Yeah, that's a hard fail.
    Last edited by StoneSeraph; 2021-03-02 at 08:14 AM.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by StoneSeraph View Post
    Hmm... Athletics is the better call, then, but I don't want to wake up the dogs (yes, technically, they need to be "shaken or slapped awake").
    Let's go with the Disadvantage roll, then. If my Dexterity bonus (+3) applies, then that should hopefully help, but I won't add that to the rolls in case it's disallowed.
    [roll0]
    [roll1]

EDIT: LOL. Yeah, that's a hard fail.
    You do of course get your proficiency bonus and you would get the dex bonus for this task as well but that doesn't quite do it.

Edit-add: Coincidentally 1 is also what I rolled for your perception check when you were checking out the offices.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Dwarf in the Playground

You do of course get your proficiency bonus and you would get the dex bonus for this task as well but that doesn't quite do it.

Edit-add: Coincidentally 1 is also what I rolled for your perception check when you were checking out the offices.
    So today is not Hep's day! That's OK, the day is young! which either means things will improve or remain awful throughout, but they cannot get worse!

When you say "external wall" with respect to the room beyond the gate, does that mean we can access the room from the outside of the building? As in, walk around the outside and pry our way in? I do have a crowbar... and as I say this out loud, I realize I am a colossal idiot and should've used that first (this is why the RNG Gods gave me 1's). May I use the crowbar to pry the lock apart? If not, and if the space beyond the gate can be accessed from the outside, may I use my crowbar to pry away more boards to better enter that space?

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by StoneSeraph View Post
    So today is not Hep's day! That's OK, the day is young! which either means things will improve or remain awful throughout, but they cannot get worse!

When you say "external wall" with respect to the room beyond the gate, does that mean we can access the room from the outside of the building? As in, walk around the outside and pry our way in? I do have a crowbar... and as I say this out loud, I realize I am a colossal idiot and should've used that first (this is why the RNG Gods gave me 1's). May I use the crowbar to pry the lock apart? If not, and if the space beyond the gate can be accessed from the outside, may I use my crowbar to pry away more boards to better enter that space?
    From what you're seeing the outer wall would probably give in to a crowbar faster than the gate. The gate looks sturdy. So yes, you can probably walk out and circle round, pry the wall open.