Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 282
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Smilex's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Finland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Hell's rebels - In Hell's bright shadow [ dnd 5e IC ]

    OOC thread
    https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...5#post24918935



    Part 1.1 Silverseeds

    Introduction



    Ten days ago the former caudillo, Jilia Bainilus disappeared. The word on the streets was she'd left on ship to destination unknown.

    Seven nights ago a number of fires started two hours after dark. In those fires disappeared numerous people and groups who were involved in various secret organizations or overt activity against the Torkrests. While many normal people didn't see the connection between the fires, in Kintargo's underground this moment is now callend the Night of Ashes.

    A lot of people started out in denial. Since then, anger has been rising. Every day a new proclamation has appeared to create new outrage. There have already been smaller protests in every city district. Dottari or Knights of the Line have dispersed them quickly so far.

    Now a larger meeting is supposed to happen in Aria Park, right in front of the Opera house where Barzillai Torkrest lives. There's suspense in the air. In a city that often grumbles, actual protests have been rare. The former caudillo's laissez-faire attitude used to be dispiriting rather than rage-inducing. This is something new, different.

    Even with the cobblestones of Argent Avenue and the foliage of Aria Park still wet from the morning's light rain, dozens of Kintargans have gathered along the facade of the opera house to protest the city's new caudillo, Barzillai Torkrest. The city's new leader was appointed by he Infernal Orc-Mauler, Head of clan, All-Father Korin, son of Orin Torkrest, in the wake of the previous caudillo's sudden flight from the city - an event that still has local rumormongers whispering furiously.
    In a scant seven days, Barzillai has instituted martial law, a curfew, and a series of polarizing proclamations. These actions and more have called many of Kintargo's dissatisfied citizens here on this overcast morn. There's been no sign yet of Barzillai Torkrest himself, and the opera house's doors remain tightly closed - as they have since the man chose the landmark as his new home - but judging by the growing sound of the protesters, he surely won't be ignoring the scene on the streets for the whole day. More people are slowly but constantly arriving to join the scene.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    How have you prepared for the day and what do you seek to achieve when you enter the area?
    The first scene has several suggested 'riot actions' that you can pick
    1. Listen for rumors in the crowd
    2. Cut purses
    3. Rabble rouse, try to make YOUR message hear.
    4. Look for the mysterious contact person
    5. Analyze the crowd.
    6. Anything else you want really...
    The riot proceeds in turns, the first turn of activity is roughly the first hour.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Zhentarim's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Shreveport, Louisiana, US
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Hell's rebels - In Hell's bright shadow [ dnd 5e IC ]

    Copper moved through the crowd, her copper metal plating reflecting the overcast sky above. The cold and wet doesn't bother her much, rather, she is looking for a man with a black glove who can help her with anti-government activities. While Copper is an agent of the Church of Howlingstorm, Copper knows Barzillai is bad news and wants to hinder him before he can hurt the people of this town.

    Copper misses being mortal as she looks around the crowd--for she was killed while on church business a few years ago while trying to wipe out an evil cult in Kintargo's sewers associated with the evil god called "The Plot". Back in those days, Copper was a normal tabaxi that many people thought was "cute". Luckily, she was carrying a soulstone made of Jasper, and was resurrected into the body of a wraithguard. Her new body has cosmetic features that resemble her old form, including a feminine frame, a coppery mechanical tail, and coppery cat-like ears, but she can't feel pleasure like her old form was able to, and she feels damaged.

    Regardless, Copper searches very far and wide for the man with the glove, and tries to push her feelings of alienation out of her mind.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2020

    Default Re: Hell's rebels - In Hell's bright shadow [ dnd 5e IC ]

    Hep Rigley
    Human Extortionist, Bard
    AC: 13 HP: 10/10 HD: 1/1d8 BI: 3/3d6
    PPrc: 9 PInv: 13 PIns: 9
    Conditions: - Disguise: - (PDec: 15)
    Concentration: -

    "The theater, / the theater, / What happened to / the theater?"

    Strumming a few chords on his lute, Hep keeps his head low and his hood up, back against a tree at the outskirts of the park, watching a trickle of persons slowly forming a mass of people.

    "You'd think someone would've brought food or something. No mint, though!... Honestly, what kind of dog-brained fool bans mint, of all things?" Directing his attention to K'tak, he continues musing, "Remind me to find a place that can cook us a nice lamb tonight. We'll worry about the mint later."

    As the young man scans the crowd, he catches sight of the copper-plated tabaxi - somewhat of a contrast from the other catfolk and the larger number of ratfolk congregating in the area. "Check that out," Hep says, nudging K'tak again. "I'll bet her scales tarnish green versus your red."

    Past his observation, Hep keeps a lookout for major players within the protest, anyone drumming up sentiment or aggression, with an eye always on the opera house in case "the dog himself", Barzillai Torkrest, shows his face.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Zombie

    Join Date
    Jan 2021

    Default Re: Hell's rebels - In Hell's bright shadow [ dnd 5e IC ]

    K'tak
    Lizardfolk Barbarian
    AC: 15 | Current HP: 14 | Max HP: 14 | Hit Die: 1d12
    Initiative: +0 | Pperception: 15
    Condition(s):
    Active effect(s):


    K'tak shuddered uncomfortably in the damp morning while pulling her cloak tighter, as she too watched the crowd with predatory eyes. Though she was a bit distracted trying to find a sunny enough spot in the overcast morning. "A hot meal would be good," K'tak replied with a nod smiling at the thought of one of the inn's fresh, hot meat pies, or a few to help with the chill. She ended up missing the part about mint due to this distraction, but when Hep picked back up, she snapped back to the scene at hand. "Yes, I will... hold you against that." she replied more certain than she actually felt at the use of the phrase. She was still trying to get used to idioms along with metaphors.

    "What is- that's Copper isn't it? Did you know she would be coming here too?" K'tak asked before starting to wave their metal companion over, but then thinks better about it and lowers her arm. "I will see if she wants to join us, draw less attention" K'tak replies before striding forward, her own long tail lightly dragging across the ground.

    "Hey Copper, we didn't know you would be here as well," K'tak said quietly when she was next to the metallic being, adding a point back over her shoulder towards Hep to explain why she said "we". "Want to join us, or are we hunting and best to spread out?" K'tak asked as she once more looked about the crowd hungrily.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2017

    Default Re: Hell's rebels - In Hell's bright shadow [ dnd 5e IC ]

    Caelin Valaerys, Kintargo Cut Throat
    AC: 14 | MAX HP: 10 | CURRENT: 10 | HIT DIE: 1d8 | CURRENT: 1d8
    INITIATIVE: +3 | PASSIVE PERCEPTION: 16 | PASSIVE INSIGHT: 12
    Active Effects: None.
    Conditions: None.


    The ashen haired young man, clad in a leather jerkin adorned with belts, straps, and numerous buckles, moved through the crowd like a wolf through an unattended flock. He was conscious of the crowd around him, allowing it's ebbs and flows to guide him, sohis own movements didn't stand out against the press and the sway of the gathered protesters. However, he was here with a purpose, he was squatting in a small tenament about a warehouse along the wharfs, paying for the rights to the River Talons. He'd heard rumors from the gang's contact, his landlord, as it were, that a man would be present at the rally, a leather clad right hand, not much information to go on, but given the adbuctions as of late it wasn't unreasonable to keep one's identity concealed, especially from the Order of the Rack. An order devoted, entirely, to quelling uprisings, it wasn't surprising that Caudillo Torkrest granted them admittance to Kintargo after deposing his more moderate predecessor, Caudillo Bainilus.

    The Order of the Torrent had been relatively quiet, after the arrival of their brethren within the city, and that troubled Caelin. The Torrent was known to oppose abductions, kidnappings, and certain, darker, aspects of the slave trade, the fact that they had been diminished in power in light of the Night of Ashes was concerning, and, given the size of the crowd, Caelin wasn't alone in those thoughts.

    Still, he moved through the crowd, looking for the sigil of House Torkrest, informers, or plants among the crowd. He steered clear of any armored Hellknights, who patrolled the area, concerned that they, too, would be scanning the crowd for insurgents, or sympathizers. It would be too easy for Barzillai to label any voice of discontent as a call to arms and sedition, causing the Hellknights to fall upon that voice, and quell it with enthusiastic violence and religious fervor.

    He noted the unusual figure of Copper in the crowd, having never before seen such a creature, the feline styled golem-like wraithguard walked through the crowd, much like the others present. And it seemed to be searching for someone, or something, perhaps? Caelin decided to give the strange construct a wide berth, unaware of it's allegiance. However, while observing the figure, he noted a slender framed form, scales and spines pronouncing it's yaun-ti blood, the repitilian form was adorned with primative totems and charms, curious, he watched as it nodded towards a tree, upon which reclined a minstrel that Caelin had met before, even briefly, Rigley perhaps? His brow furrowed as he tried to remember the name, satisfied that the minstel and his companions posed little threats to his activities here, Caelin continued through the crowd. He nodded to the minstrel as he continued scanning the crowded square to see if he could identify the contact that was rumored to be in attendence.

    Spoiler: Out of Character Actions
    Show
    OOC: Ever the paranoid type, his hand is under his cloak, close to his hand crossbow. Perception to scan the crowd, looking for either the single gloved contact, or anything else suspicious. Perception check, (1d20+6)[20], also, I am not above snagging a purse if it is unattended, or it's owner unaware, and it looks to be full.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2017

    Default Re: Hell's rebels - In Hell's bright shadow [ dnd 5e IC ]

    In his workshop this morning, Andvari did not have any idea that the day would be this eventful. His morning tinkering usually took his mind off of any worries, but the silence of the empty house did nothing to calm him. The recent edicts... surely someone in the government would repeal them, convince the new caudillo that this was too far. If the previous ruler had worried him... Andvari pushed the thought out of his mind. Someone else would take care of it.

    Settling on his morning's project, he imbued a couple simple rings with light, shining out for 5 feet or so. He had toyed with the idea of recording a message... but he couldn't put together a solid thought, much less speak them as words.

    But as Andvari walked his normal route through town, he found himself at the site of a protest, bringing back Andvari's uneasy feelings. Of course others disagreed with some of the new edicts too, but taking matters into their own hands and voicing their own opinions? That was likely to end in trouble.

    Andvari stopped walking and paused for a deep breath. He... he would have to arrive late to work, though the guard was likely to come here anyway. Andvari hoped that being nearby meant he could calm any tensions if necessary. He hoped nothing would get out of hand.

    Standing at the edge of the crowd, Andvari looekd for any familiar faces - he suspected Orion and Caelin maybe interested in this activity, even if he didn't think it very wise. Andvari scanned the crowd, hoping to get a sense of who was here.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    Using my Magical Tinkering ability to make two objects, each shines light in a 5 foot radius. They're both in my bag, so not doing much of anything right now.

    Perception check: (1d20-1)[15]


  7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    SamuraiGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Montana
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Hell's rebels - In Hell's bright shadow [ dnd 5e IC ]

    Orion
    V. Human (Aberrant) Sorcerer 1
    AC: 12 | HP: 8/8 | HD: 1d6
    Initiative: +2 | P. Perception: 13 | P. Investigation: 10
    Active Effects: None
    Conditions: None


    Orion packs up his meager belongings from his makeshift camp site, and takes them with him to the protest. Or what Orion hopes is a protest. He arrives at the square, excited to see so many people here. He keeps his hood up, and stays to the edge of the crowd. Staying aware of the nearest alley in case he needs a quick escape, Orion is looking to see if anyone is in charge here and what the crowd is doing. Are they angry enough to start a riot?

    Orion toys with the idea of using his telepathy to start the crowd shouting - once a person "hears" a shout, they are more likely to join in. All it takes is one...but not yet, he thinks to himself. If the crowd isn't large or angry enough, and Torkrest's goons come in force, then it will just end poorly for everyone. So Orion bides his time, and tries to weigh the situation cautiously before making any moves.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    What roll would it be to analyze the crowd? Insight or Perception? I guess either way it is the same roll for him. (1d20+3)[19]

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Smilex's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Finland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Hell's rebels - In Hell's bright shadow [ dnd 5e IC ]

    Spoiler: Map
    Show
    As you spend a while, you observe the layout of the park and all the major features in the area.



    Copper and Caelin look through the crowd looking for the mysterious one-gloved man. They both come to the same conclusion... the guy isn't in the crowd, at least not yet. They see some people observing the demonstration from windows and a couple from rooftops even but no one looks promising. While moving through the crowd and poking around they get the feel that while the crowd is discontented, it's not aggressive. Most people in the crowd are Pa'aash and most pa'aash are relatively peaceful by their nature.

    Hep doesn't really know the locals well so he's trying to find individuals who look out of place. He notices that it's kind of difficult to tell one ratfolk from another. They seem to purposefully make this worse by dressing in a very similar way. The dwarves probably have similar problems when looking at ratfolk. Makes it easier for the ratfolk to escape scrutiny. Hep does not how some of the ratfolk are simply a lot taller than others. He's heard of various subraces and this must be due to it.

    The single most striking individual Hep finds in the area at this hour is actually this person
    Spoiler: Pic
    Show


    She's standing behind some guards near the opera house's door. While most guards seem uneasy and are kind of ... loitering, she seems alert and watchful.

    K'tak watches the crowd... She notices roughly five types of dishes
    There's those with a sweet disposition... They seem to be happily chatting with each other about how small the crowd is and they feel that Barzillai is doing a good job. They're just kind of laughing and having fun.
    There's the bitter ones, who seem to focus on Barzillai not being properly elected in an election. The locals didn't get a chance to vote or even bribe anyone to affect the choice of the new caudillo. There were no political gifts to the populace to gain initial support before enacting crazy edicts.
    Then there's the sour crowd. Many in the crowd see Barzillai's tightening grip on the city as being 'bad for business'. More taxes, less chances to make a gold piece, either lawfully or unlawfully.
    There's a salty crowd, who seem to think that Pa'aash should not be ruled by dwarves at all. They're quite vocal and seem to desire caudillo's replacement with some kind of ruling group of district representatives.
    Finally there's the umami ones who seem to be carrying more weapons than the others. They're talking about 'getting the guards' and 'having a good bash'.

    Andvari makes roughly the same observations. There's some obvious Rocksolid citizen group members, a few prominent merchants with their retinues, some thugs, a few people who used to work with caudillo Bainilus and some minor cultural figures who are anti-dwarven in general.

    Orion watches the situation from slightly further away. He sees the dottari guards line up at a good distance from the crowd. He sees some members of the crowd interact peacefully with the guards. There's no knights of the line around, probably a good thing. Finally he sees a lone pa'aash do the art... of pickpocketing. The ratling moves at the periphery of the crowd and picks a couple of clasps off people's cloaks...

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    The morning continues to pass into the second hour of the demonstration...
    If Orion wants to do something about the pickpocket, that doesn't take a full hour so he has time enough to have another experience in the second 'turn'.

    More people keep arriving, the crowd is now larger.

    Again:
    The first scene has several suggested 'riot actions' that you can pick
    1. Listen for rumors in the crowd
    2. Cut purses
    3. Rabble rouse, try to make YOUR message hear.
    4. Look for the mysterious contact person
    5. Analyze the crowd.
    6. Anything else you want really...
    The second turn of activity is roughly the second hour.


  9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2020

    Default Re: Hell's rebels - In Hell's bright shadow [ dnd 5e IC ]

    Hep Rigley
    Human Extortionist, Bard
    AC: 13 HP: 10/10 HD: 1/1d8 BI: 3/3d6
    PPrc: 9 PInv: 13 PIns: 9
    Conditions: - Disguise: - (PDec: 15)
    Concentration: -

    A chill runs up Hep's spine as he catches sight of the woman standing behind the guards of the opera house. Yikes, he thought to himself, adjusting the jerkin underneath his cloak. You'd think one axe would be enough, but no, clearly four is the needful number... Jests always eased his mind, but the look of this figure, in addition to her attentiveness and wild look, suggests that she is not meant to be taken lightly.

    As far as everyone else at this "protest", Hep likens the event to more of a picnic in the park thus far. The only people who stand out are... well, taller than a ratperson. K'tak, Copper, a few catpeople, someone else with the same fashion sense I have - dark cloaks are always in season, I don't care who in Sacrament says otherwise - ...where was I? Right. Focus.

    Into the second hour of the gathering, the man continues strumming his lute, doing his best to maintain a good background volume such that others can talk in a way that he could hear. Keeping a close eye on K'tak and Copper, Hep does his best to listen in on any mention of Barzillai... then completely ignores those mentions, as everyone seems to be talking about him. No, his focus is elsewhere. Barzillai is background, no better than my lute, and I'm sure he'd love to hear someone say so. Who else are the people taking about? What other names are being mentioned, and who's brave or dumb enough to say the quiet part out loud?: Who's leading this thing, anyway? Hep quickly gestures to Copper or K'tak if he can get their attention, hoping for better direction as he settles in for another watch of eavesdropping.

    The plectrum finds the notes of a familiar song as the bard strums away...

    "We're following the leader / the leader, the leader / We're following the leader / wherever he may go..."

    Spoiler: OOC/Mechanics
    Show
    Knowing little to nothing about the one-gloved man, Hep won't be looking for him.
    If K'tak or Copper want to have me focus on specific topics based on the last turn, please let me know and consider my focus amended accordingly.
    Regardless, with respect to eavesdropping on rumors, I'd like to apply an Investigation roll (watch, it'll be lower than my Passive...): (1d20+3)[14]

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Zhentarim's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Shreveport, Louisiana, US
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Hell's rebels - In Hell's bright shadow [ dnd 5e IC ]

    Copper turns to Caelin and shrugs, "I don't see our man. We should probably just lay low. Maybe we could go sit at those benches by the river and listen the people who walk by. We may hear some rumors while we sit by the water, and getting a better idea of the talk of the town could be useful."

    Spoiler: Perception
    Show
    1d20+5
    Last edited by Zhentarim; 2021-02-12 at 10:31 AM.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Zhentarim's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Shreveport, Louisiana, US
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Hell's rebels - In Hell's bright shadow [ dnd 5e IC ]

    Spoiler: Perception
    Show
    (1d20+5)[24]

    I used my warforged "specialized design" on perception so I'm proficient in perception. There is a good chance my 4th level feat will also be perception related, so I can double my perception bonus and be really good at noticing my surroundings, which is always good.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Smilex's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Finland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Hell's rebels - In Hell's bright shadow [ dnd 5e IC ]

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Writing conversations takes time so I'm putting the eavesdropping results as a separate update already.


    Hep's ears catch the following conversation...

    A wiry ratfolk urchin says
    Can I get a patty for six silver?

    A short person who could be a dwarf but is constantly dripping water answers
    I don't have a thing for you.

    The urchin asks
    What? You pulling my leg? I got the money.

    The water genasi continues
    No, I'm telling you they rolled over my contact in the Night of Ashes. It's the Torkrests, they've brought these new devild and half-devils into the city. They be a different kind of dottari I tell you.

    The urchin is surprised
    What? Half-devils? Like somebody put their member into a devil and got some ugly-butt infernal kid? And now they're playing with the dottari?

    The genasi points at the lady near the opera house that Hep noticed earlier
    Try saying that to Nox over there. She's one of em cambions.


    ... meanwhile ....

    Copper sits at one of the benches listening and hears a conversation...

    A ratling merchant throws a stone into the water while talking to a dwarf carrying the insignia of a bank.
    All those rocksolid citizens are gonna be so surprised when they find themselves out of a job. That Barzillai is going to make trade so difficult. I'm telling you this is the worst thing ever.

    The dwarf responsds
    You've got short lives and short memories, you ratlings. When I was just starting in the business eighty years ago we had the first horde crisis. All the landroutes were devastated. They still haven't recovered from that one.

    The ratling answers
    Tell me about it. I live next to the old livery stable. I don't know why they haven't torn that barn down. Place is an eyesore and seems to gather unbelievable numbers of rats.

    The dwarf chuckles

    The ratling continues
    Har de har har. I'm talking vermin, pests.

    The dwarf answers
    So was I...

    The ratling sneers
    And just for that you'll pay for lunch.
    ...

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2017

    Default Re: Hell's rebels - In Hell's bright shadow [ dnd 5e IC ]

    Andvari frowns at seeing so many different groups who would, at best, have a few choice words for the other. He walks through the crowd, trying to make pleasant conversation while also calming down members of any group that would talk to him.

    After awkwardly exiting a conversation, Andvari catches sight of Caelin, silently watching the crowd.

    "I hope I'm nah interrupting anything," the Dwarven man says quietly, approaching his friend. Well, truth be told he wasn't sure Caelin would consider him a friend. "Seems like the new caudillo has everyone's attention, for good or ill. I hope you've been doing well? Keeping out of trouble?" Andvari didn't intend such an accusatory question, but he was curious how the boy fared.





    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    Andvari is trying to keep the crowd calm, make sure nothing violent happens.
    Persuasion: (1d20+1)[6]
    Last edited by CaoimhinTheCape; 2021-02-12 at 01:49 PM.

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2017

    Default Re: Hell's rebels - In Hell's bright shadow [ dnd 5e IC ]

    Caelin Valaerys, Kintargo Cut Throat
    AC: 14 | MAX HP: 10 | CURRENT: 10 | HIT DIE: 1d8 | CURRENT: 1d8
    INITIATIVE: +3 | PASSIVE PERCEPTION: 16 | PASSIVE INSIGHT: 12
    Active Effects: None.
    Conditions: None.


    Frustrated with his inability to discover the contact he'd heard rumored to be present, the young man set himself to watching the crowd. His keen eyes, honed by a youth of fearful paranoia, noted several pockets of people beginning to gather, one of which drew his attention for the casual maner in which their sported their weapons. Sheathed knives, naked daggers thrust through belts, even open truncheons, it was towards this crowd that Caelin strode, until he stood behind one of the larger umami. Leaning forward he whispered, "Keep it in yer fookin' pants, you take up arms 'gainst the guards there, and you become the poster boy for an uprising, and this new prick of a Caudillo can claim it was us who started it." He paused, flashing a vicious smile, "You let 'em start it, and we finish it, eh brother?" As he spoke, he patted a blade he had concealed beneath his cloak.

    He walked away quickly, not wanting to draw the umami into a vigorous discussion on the merits of armed insurrection, it was then he heard two voices, one sonorous, with an odd resonance, the other was deep and low, like forge bellows. Both called him by name and his first reaction was to run, especially given his whispered words with the group of umami, he turned, first to the lower voice. It was the mechanical, feline styled, automaton, he raised an eyebrow, "I saw a minstrel by a tree, ya? Might be that's secluded 'nuff fer the likes o' us, ya?" He turned, moving towards the crowd towards where he had last seen Hep, before he spotted the owner of the second voice.

    "Andvari you old bastard," Caelin chuckled to himself, "thought you were with the Jills, those bitches are still pissed at me for ...," he voice trailed off, and he gave the dwarf a knowing smile, "ahhhh, ya almost got me ta spill tha' goods. Doin' well, doin' well, you know, much as one can durin' times like these. Still food on the table, and scraps for me ol' pooch." He nodded towards Copper, "Me and Copper here were 'bout to go take some shade 'neath Hep's tree there, watch the crowd, and avoid what's brewing. Join us?"

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Zombie

    Join Date
    Jan 2021

    Default Re: Hell's rebels - In Hell's bright shadow [ dnd 5e IC ]

    K'tak
    Lizardfolk Barbarian
    AC: 15 | Current HP: 14 | Max HP: 14 | Hit Die: 1d12
    Initiative: +0 | Pperception: 15
    Condition(s):
    Active effect(s):


    With her own words seemingly unheeded or unheard, K'tak was about to start prowling about the crowd for other bits of information but then she caught Hep's gesture. K'tak takes her time getting back to the music maker though, listening about for anything curious from within the middle of the crowd, particularly any mentions of the dwarf Durnan. Only the mention of that name would cause her to linger as she worked her way back over, and even then it would only be for a moment. Afterall, her size and stature made listening discretely difficult, especially if she were to suddenly stop next to an otherwise casual conversation.

    "Must have not been her," K'tak replied as she came to a stop near Hep again and turned about to face the crowd. "There's a lot of different flavors here. Sweet ones came for the show, sours came to complain, and the tasty ones came for a fight." K'tak adds with a point towards corresponding groups in the crowd. "And what have you found?"

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2020

    Default Re: Hell's rebels - In Hell's bright shadow [ dnd 5e IC ]

    Hep Rigley
    Human Extortionist, Bard
    AC: 13 HP: 10/10 HD: 1/1d8 BI: 3/3d6
    PPrc: 9 PInv: 13 PIns: 9
    Conditions: - Disguise: - (PDec: 15)
    Concentration: -

    "Oh, nothing important, really," Hep says coyly in response to K'tak before switching his voice to that of the ratfolk he'd just overheard, "just samplin' the local fare, same as you, eh?"

    Before he could gauge a reaction from the lizardfolk, he smiles and continues. "No, I'm just listening in on a few fun leads, especially about that one," surreptitiously signaling K'tak's attention to the woman called Nox while keeping his voice low, standing on tiptoe to whisper to his taller friend. "She's half-devil, apparently. A bit of spicy news, I'd say..."

    "So, my sandy friend, do you avoid the heat... or do you prefer things spicy?" This time Hep makes sure to see her face as he takes on her voice, savoring the reaction as always. In so doing, he can see more acquaintances heading towards their tree, the makeshift meeting point. "Oh, good! More friends!"

    "So no one told you life was gonna be this way..."

    Spoiler: Actor's Repertoire
    Show
    Voices that Hep can mimic using the Actor feat:
    Ally PC's: K'tak, Copper (presumably)
    Ally NPC's: -
    Enemies:
    Randos: wiry ratfolk urchin

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I'm absolutely tickled that the rabble-rouser faction at this protest are referred to as The Umami.
    Last edited by StoneSeraph; 2021-02-12 at 06:54 PM.

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Zhentarim's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Shreveport, Louisiana, US
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Hell's rebels - In Hell's bright shadow [ dnd 5e IC ]

    Spoiler: Quote
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Smilex View Post
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Writing conversations takes time so I'm putting the eavesdropping results as a separate update already.


    Hep's ears catch the following conversation...

    A wiry ratfolk urchin says
    Can I get a patty for six silver?

    A short person who could be a dwarf but is constantly dripping water answers
    I don't have a thing for you.

    The urchin asks
    What? You pulling my leg? I got the money.

    The water genasi continues
    No, I'm telling you they rolled over my contact in the Night of Ashes. It's the Torkrests, they've brought these new devild and half-devils into the city. They be a different kind of dottari I tell you.

    The urchin is surprised
    What? Half-devils? Like somebody put their member into a devil and got some ugly-butt infernal kid? And now they're playing with the dottari?

    The genasi points at the lady near the opera house that Hep noticed earlier
    Try saying that to Nox over there. She's one of em cambions.


    ... meanwhile ....

    Copper sits at one of the benches listening and hears a conversation...

    A ratling merchant throws a stone into the water while talking to a dwarf carrying the insignia of a bank.
    All those rocksolid citizens are gonna be so surprised when they find themselves out of a job. That Barzillai is going to make trade so difficult. I'm telling you this is the worst thing ever.

    The dwarf responsds
    You've got short lives and short memories, you ratlings. When I was just starting in the business eighty years ago we had the first horde crisis. All the landroutes were devastated. They still haven't recovered from that one.

    The ratling answers
    Tell me about it. I live next to the old livery stable. I don't know why they haven't torn that barn down. Place is an eyesore and seems to gather unbelievable numbers of rats.

    The dwarf chuckles

    The ratling continues
    Har de har har. I'm talking vermin, pests.

    The dwarf answers
    So was I...

    The ratling sneers
    And just for that you'll pay for lunch.
    ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Zero Prime View Post
    Caelin Valaerys, Kintargo Cut Throat
    AC: 14 | MAX HP: 10 | CURRENT: 10 | HIT DIE: 1d8 | CURRENT: 1d8
    INITIATIVE: +3 | PASSIVE PERCEPTION: 16 | PASSIVE INSIGHT: 12
    Active Effects: None.
    Conditions: None.


    Frustrated with his inability to discover the contact he'd heard rumored to be present, the young man set himself to watching the crowd. His keen eyes, honed by a youth of fearful paranoia, noted several pockets of people beginning to gather, one of which drew his attention for the casual maner in which their sported their weapons. Sheathed knives, naked daggers thrust through belts, even open truncheons, it was towards this crowd that Caelin strode, until he stood behind one of the larger umami. Leaning forward he whispered, "Keep it in yer fookin' pants, you take up arms 'gainst the guards there, and you become the poster boy for an uprising, and this new prick of a Caudillo can claim it was us who started it." He paused, flashing a vicious smile, "You let 'em start it, and we finish it, eh brother?" As he spoke, he patted a blade he had concealed beneath his cloak.

    He walked away quickly, not wanting to draw the umami into a vigorous discussion on the merits of armed insurrection, it was then he heard two voices, one sonorous, with an odd resonance, the other was deep and low, like forge bellows. Both called him by name and his first reaction was to run, especially given his whispered words with the group of umami, he turned, first to the lower voice. It was the mechanical, feline styled, automaton, he raised an eyebrow, "I saw a minstrel by a tree, ya? Might be that's secluded 'nuff fer the likes o' us, ya?" He turned, moving towards the crowd towards where he had last seen Hep, before he spotted the owner of the second voice.

    "Andvari you old bastard," Caelin chuckled to himself, "thought you were with the Jills, those bitches are still pissed at me for ...," he voice trailed off, and he gave the dwarf a knowing smile, "ahhhh, ya almost got me ta spill tha' goods. Doin' well, doin' well, you know, much as one can durin' times like these. Still food on the table, and scraps for me ol' pooch." He nodded towards Copper, "Me and Copper here were 'bout to go take some shade 'neath Hep's tree there, watch the crowd, and avoid what's brewing. Join us?"


    Copper sits with her friend(s) on the bench and continues listening in. She wishes she brought duck food.

    "Sound's like Barzillai wants to restrict trade. That's no good."
    Last edited by Zhentarim; 2021-02-13 at 05:48 AM.

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Zombie

    Join Date
    Jan 2021

    Default Re: Hell's rebels - In Hell's bright shadow [ dnd 5e IC ]

    K'tak
    Lizardfolk Barbarian
    AC: 15 | Current HP: 14 | Max HP: 14 | Hit Die: 1d12
    Initiative: +0 | Pperception: 15
    Condition(s):
    Active effect(s):


    "I didn't realize you liked food like that," K'tak replied initially, completely missing the intent of the phrase while giving him a curious look. The expression didn't have a chance to clear as she was directed to the supposed half-devil. She was about to reply to spicy comments and ask if the music man would like a finger as well when he continued, in her voice.

    The reaction was an immediate look of shocked curiosity as her wide reptilian eyes focused on him, only to soften when she sees it as another one of his tricks. She lets out a passive growl, knowing that the halfway threatening sound would only serve to goad him on to more hijinks of that nature, but it was becoming something of a routine anymore. Not like at first when she didn't know what he could or couldn't do and she'd nearly tried biting out his throat to get her stolen voice back.

    "More friends? How is it that all of these people are your friends again?" K'tak asks while looking towards the approaching strangers, though her eyes do occasionally swing back to the half-demon. Between traveler's getting lost in the desert and those who'd decided to attack the tribe, she'd tried at least some of nearly everything in the area but demon was definitely something new.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    OOC actions: K'tak's going to try and keep an eye on the half-demon for as long as she can, and maybe start looking for features that would distinguish them from others.
    @StoneSeraph: Yup, that is what they are going forward to K'tak, kinda hoping for the chance for her to address one with the title and they, without realizing what it means, starts using it for themselves.
    Last edited by Zalphier; 2021-02-13 at 01:11 AM.

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Smilex's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Finland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Hell's rebels - In Hell's bright shadow [ dnd 5e IC ]

    During the second hour of the protest more and more people arrive. Orion, who's hanging at the outside of the area notices that while many of the first to arrive were dwarves, it's now mostly ratfolk who keep arriving. At the same time the voices in the crowd are getting rowdy.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I rolled a roll for Andvari based on the help Caelin is giving. Roll came out low.

    Andvari and Caelin contact many of the anarchists and ratfolk supremacists in the crowd and try to cool their tempers. The success they have is at best limited. It seems the ratfolk anarchists aren't prone to listening to a message of peace from a dwarf.

    Meanwhile K'tak walks around until he catches the following conversation...

    Two dwarves are talking, they're with the rocksolid citizens crowd.
    I bet that Bainilus is spending that sweet bribery gold on some rum and dancing boys right now. Going wild at it on some undine island.

    The other one says
    I don't think so. If her retinue had been at the docks I think I would've seen it. The harbormaster probably would've been blabbing about it if the caudillo was leaving.

    The first one says
    Huh? But isn't that like the message that we're supposed to hold up... that she left because she was corrupt?

    The second one continues
    Don't worry, nobody cares. Bainilus is gone, Torkest has won.

    A third dwarf joins in.
    I hear the real story is that she just drank herself to death finally. Fell down stairs and wrung her neck. A pageboy was hitting the cups strong at the tavern a few nights ago. Claimed to have seen her pale corpse before it was carried away.

    At the end of the second hour a group of yelling artists appears and joins the crowd.
    Spoiler: Screaming choir
    Show

    THey start a screaming performance about a number of cooking recipes that contain mint and are now banned.

    Going into the third hour the groups in the crowd have started to separate more obviously. There's people yelling about the economy, others with a racial message, others with a religious one. Many are protesting against harsh punishments.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    The morning continues to pass into the third hour of the protest...
    The increasing tension suggests that something will start happening soonish.

    Again:
    The first scene has several suggested 'riot actions' that you can pick
    1. Listen for rumors in the crowd
    2. Cut purses
    3. Rabble rouse, or quiet parts of the crowd, try to make YOUR message hear.
    4. Look for the mysterious contact person
    5. Analyze the crowd.
    6. Anything else you want really...
    The third turn of activity is roughly the third hour, and quite possibly the last one before things start happening...

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Smilex's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Finland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Hell's rebels - In Hell's bright shadow [ dnd 5e IC ]

    When K'tak watches Nox, she can't really see anything in particular that really defines the person except for the attitude. She seems to be quite bossy and aggressive even towards other guards. No visible horns or tail or wings.
    Maybe the rumor was untrue?

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Zhentarim's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Shreveport, Louisiana, US
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Hell's rebels - In Hell's bright shadow [ dnd 5e IC ]

    Deciding she had listened to enough rumors, Copper decides to start forming a crowd of her own, by loudly extolling the virtues and tenets of Howlingstorm.

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    SamuraiGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Montana
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Hell's rebels - In Hell's bright shadow [ dnd 5e IC ]

    Orion
    V. Human (Aberrant) Sorcerer 1
    AC: 12 | HP: 8/8 | HD: 1d6
    Initiative: +2 | P. Perception: 13 | P. Investigation: 10
    Active Effects: None
    Conditions: None


    Orion was curious if the cutpurse was with a gang, but then decided to let the thief go when it looked like he was working alone. Orion is here for bigger things today. After waiting through the second hour, he is excited that things are finally heating up. Orion shakes his head at the choir; they sound impressive, but is the ban on mint really what they care about? Oh well, to each their own. Against his better judgment, Orion is drawn into the crowd. He gets closer (within 30') to the group shouting about the harsh punishments, grips his crystal focus in one hand and surreptitiously makes the proper gestures with the other to cast Minor Illusion. For the next minute he concentrates on making different (ratfolk) voices shout about prisoners: "Where are the disappeared ones?" ""Free the prisoners!" "Our people are missing!" "Free the prisoners!" "WHERE ARE THE DISAPPEARED ONES?"

    Orion tries this again, and even adds his own voice if it appears to be working.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I'm not even sure you can cast a spell covertly, but I guess an angry crowd is the place, if anywhere is. He is not burning a metamagic point on subtle spell for this. If a stealth roll is needed, here it is: (1d20+4)[6]

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2020

    Default Re: Hell's rebels - In Hell's bright shadow [ dnd 5e IC ]

    Hep Rigley
    Human Extortionist, Bard
    AC: 13 HP: 10/10 HD: 1/1d8 BI: 3/3d6
    PPrc: 9 PInv: 13 PIns: 9
    Conditions: - Disguise: - (PDec: 15)
    Concentration: -

    Responding to K'tak's inquiry, Hep smiles and replies, "Well, perhaps they're not friends yet - just friends we haven't fully realized yet! We share common interest, like disliking the dog Barzillai. Or enjoying mint! Like those fine folks!" He gestures to the yelling choir who had begun shouting mint-based recipes as part of a performance.

    "Remember earlier when I talked of mint, complaining that it was banned? They're doing the same, but loudly! We share an interest! We could be friends! Also, what was that about 'liking... food... like that...'" Hep's blue eyes grew wide, a grin widening on his face to match the countenance of his compatriot. "You inspire me, Lady. Excuse me a moment - I'll be right back here..."

    Genius!! Let us not be upstaged!! The young man makes his way to the yelling choir, but distances himself a bit, waiting for them to finish their next chant. As it concludes, Hep adopts his new ratfolk voice and taking up his lute, striking a loud chord to gain attention before speaking:

    "The caudillo withholds mint from our possession." A chord follows.
    "And collecting the city's dogs is his obsession." Another chord.
    "He must think they taste great," --louder
    "When they're served on his plate," --louder
    "As he hides inside his house to keep discretion!" A loud gallop of notes followed by a short fanfare concludes the poem and the performance.

    Regardless of the response to his outburst at calling Barzillai Torkrest a dog-eating coward, Hep mingles with the crowd a bit before making his way back to the tree, keeping an eye on Nox in case that quick little show garnered her attention.

    Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    I would like to apply a Performance check in my attempt to help make the caudillo a figure of fun, though I do not know if Actor applies for Advantage as "passing myself off as another person", as I'm using a different voice but not wearing a disguise.
    As such, the top roll would be for a straight roll, and the bottom one would apply if DM allows Advantage from the Actor feat.
    (1d20+5)[20]
    (1d20+5)[14]

    Spoiler: Actor's Repertoire
    Show
    Voices that Hep can mimic using the Actor feat:
    Ally PC's: K'tak, Copper (presumably)
    Ally NPC's: -
    Enemies:
    Randos: wiry ratfolk urchin

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Smilex's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Finland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Hell's rebels - In Hell's bright shadow [ dnd 5e IC ]

    The 'salty' and the 'bitter' groups seem quite sympathetic to Copper's message. The screaming choir even makes a small number on the merits of the divinity of arts and crafts.

    Orion is noticed by the crowd around him. They make a small wall to surround him so that people further away wouldn't notice Orion's magic. He gets several thumbs up signs, pats on the back and a free sandwich from an older lady in the crowd.

    Hep's rabble rousing still has the largest effect. The crowd is completely entertained. From this moment on, most of the people in the crowd just make way for Hep wherever he goes.
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Hep gets advantage to all charisma-related skill rolls until the next long rest from the hype.
    There are two separate reactions of note.
    Nox smiles and waves at Hep. She then points at herself. Then she mimes the gesture of breaking something in two and then points at Hep. Finally she gives another grin and a wave.

    Another reaction is that a the ratfolk who Copper earlier observed tossing rocks into the river... he approaches Hep...
    Hey, you're Hep the bard, right? I've seen you perform up north. Amazing to have you come here. The crowd loves your music. I could really help your career you know. I'm thinking a new bar where you perform regularly. You really make the rabble wild so I'm thinking a bar for the rougher crowd. You, dancing girls, laced strong drinks. I'm thinking of calling it Hepatits, what do you say? Guaranteed winner!

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2017

    Default Re: Hell's rebels - In Hell's bright shadow [ dnd 5e IC ]

    Caelin Valaerys, Kintargo Cut Throat
    AC: 14 | MAX HP: 10 | CURRENT: 10 | HIT DIE: 1d8 | CURRENT: 1d8
    INITIATIVE: +3 | PASSIVE PERCEPTION: 16 | PASSIVE INSIGHT: 12
    Active Effects: None.
    Conditions: None.


    Seeing his companions move into the crowd and begin to provoke the situation, Caelin turned his back and moved away, concerned that their actions would set off the crowd, shift it's mood, push it towards violence. Their foolish, rash actions, having unintended consequences which would threaten the safety and security of hundreds, even thousands of innocent people. The people in this crowd were not prepared for open conflict against the Knights of the Line, and assuredly the Caudillo would summon them if provoked.

    This could end in bloodshed, and his companions seemed oblivious to it, invited it even. He shook his head, losing himself in the press of the crowd, he was well aware of Torkrest's temperment, and how he dealt with those he felt were disloyal, or, even worse, traitors. So he moved through the crowd, keeping an eye out for the rumored contact he had come, expecting to meet, while studying the movements of the crowd, looking for those who appeared to be loyal to Torkrest, houseguards, mercenaries, or sell swords, dressed as commoners, but loyal to the Caudillo. Caelin suspected they were in the crowd, Barzillai's eyes and ears, and, if needed, the point of his blade. He'd done the same among the servants in his own house, so his slaves quickly learned to keep their thoughts to themselves, for fear of whispering thoughts of escape into the ear of their master's spies. That fear, that paranoia, isolated his slaves and made it difficult for any single one to organize with others, for fear of alerting their cruel overseers.

    He suspected the same here, for as much as he hated the man, Barzillai Torkrest was not a fool, and he knew, full well, what this crowd would bring. An opportunity to tighten his grip on the throat of Kintargo.

    Spoiler: Out of Character Actions
    Show
    OOC: Slipping into the crowd, Stealth check, (1d20+5)[17], and looking for two things, the 1st is my single gloved contact, the 2nd is anyone whom I suspect could be 'plants' in the crowd, guards, mercenaries, ready to respond to violence. Perception check, (1d20+6)[26], if I spot the 1st, I will make contact, if I spot the 2nd, I will attempt to relieve them of any written orders them carry, ignore this if they aren't, visibly, carrying orders, scrolls, or proclamations, Sleight of Hand (1d20+5)[13].

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Zhentarim's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Shreveport, Louisiana, US
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Hell's rebels - In Hell's bright shadow [ dnd 5e IC ]

    Copper continues extolling the virtues of her church until/unless somebody stops her.

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Smilex's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Finland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Hell's rebels - In Hell's bright shadow [ dnd 5e IC ]

    Orion, Hep and Copper are near the middle of the crowd, attracting more and more attention near where they are. The crowd is turning increasingly bellicose.

    K'tak and Andvari find themselves slightly peckish and visit a nearby food cart. They have a pleasant enough chat. When they're returning to the park from the west, things start happening.

    The third hour passes with the crowd getting somewhat sizeable, maybe three hundred overall. Suddenly you hear the belltower of Sidonay's temple clang three times.

    A moment later, windows and curtains open in an upper floor. Barzillai Torkrest himself is standing at the window, looking down upon the protesters. He is large for a dwarf, quite imposing in his ornate breastplate and orange-red cloak. He seems middle-aged for a dwarf. He's shaved both his head and beard. He's got a spiky sceptre that looks like it might as well be a mace and on the other hand he's got a goblet.

    The crowd quiet's down.

    Barzillai sneers
    Ah, my adoring hairballs! I am sorry to say I have not yet adapted to your quirky, country ways, being accustomed as I am to the sophistication and learning of Hardward. Nonetheless, know I have heard your concerns, and that I appreciate, even value your feedback. I know we shall eventually find a mutual understanding in the fullness of time. I take pride in updating Kintargo's quaint, outdated laws to the modern standards the city deserves, and strengthening its ties with the Torkrest clan in these cruel times, but obviously I have approached my duties too much straigthforwardly.
    There's a moments pause and a confused, varied reaction from the crowd. The 'sweet' crowd even clap their hands a little.
    You say you chafe at the presence of nonnatives in positions of power? That authorities not of this city have no place as its leaders? That you will not be yoked by intruders? Your caudillo hears you. And so it is with a heavy heart that I issue this proclamation, in response to your demands:
    All ships' captains are hereafter barred from leaving their vessels and setting foot on Kintargo docks or streets, under pain of... let's say... squassation!


    Spoiler: Caelin
    Show
    It is at this precise moment that Caelin, who's been patrolling around the area notices a dwarf in fancy clothes, wearing the single black glove arrive to the scene from the east side of the park.


    Around the crowd, voices rise in anger...

    What do you do?

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2020

    Default Re: Hell's rebels - In Hell's bright shadow [ dnd 5e IC ]

    Hep Rigley
    Human Extortionist, Bard
    AC: 13 HP: 10/10 HD: 1/1d8 BI: 3/3d6
    PPrc: 9 PInv: 13 PIns: 9
    Conditions: - Disguise: - (PDec: 15)
    Concentration: -

    The smile on Hep's face could not have been more broad, nor his eyes more wild with excitement as he studies his fresh role, waiting a minute to soak in the sight and voice. More than I need.

    The actor dares to wink and blow a kiss towards Nox as he backs away from the center of the crowd. Hearing the heated talk rising, Hep hopes a jape will divert that rage to The Dog Himself. The dark hood of a cloak sweeps well over his head before the man dares to maximize his nuisance, taking on the voice of Barzillai Torkrest himself:

    "Yes! 'Squassation'! I shall take away their SQUASHES!!... And their MINT!!"

    Maybe not the best play on words, but today's been all about food, so... let's see how it goes over...

    "I'm goin' hungry... / (I'm goin' hungry...)"


    Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Anyone should be able to tell it's not actually Barzillai talking in that instance, but I would like to apply a Persuasion check to try and turn the crowd's anger into mockery with the rough play on words. Advantage applies owing to:
    Quote Originally Posted by Smilex View Post
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Hep gets advantage to all charisma-related skill rolls until the next long rest from the hype.
    (1d20+5)[14]
    (1d20+5)[11]

    If I'm allowed an Action beyond that, and if Barzillai is less than 60 feet from my position, I'll Ready vicious mockery (WIS DC 13 else (1d4)[1] psychic damage +Disadvantage on next attack roll) to be used as a Reaction in the event he starts leaving his window. I realized I backed away from my spot, which is counter-intuitive, but things are about to hit the fan fast by the look of it. If I can see any of my compatriots, I make sure I can still see them as I move.

    Spoiler: Actor's Repertoire
    Show
    Voices that Hep can mimic using the Actor feat:
    Ally PC's: K'tak, Copper (presumably)
    Ally NPC's: -
    Enemies:
    Randos: wiry ratfolk urchin, skeevy ratfolk merchant, Barzillai Torkrest

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2017

    Default Re: Hell's rebels - In Hell's bright shadow [ dnd 5e IC ]

    Caelin Valaerys, Kintargo Cut Throat
    AC: 14 | MAX HP: 10 | CURRENT: 10 | HIT DIE: 1d8 | CURRENT: 1d8
    INITIATIVE: +3 | PASSIVE PERCEPTION: 16 | PASSIVE INSIGHT: 12
    Active Effects: None.
    Conditions: None.


    "Bloody hell," the rogue whispered to himself as he moved towards their contact, Barzillai, true to Torkrest form, threatened the merchant captains of Kintargo, not with fines, but death by torture? He could only shake his head, frustrated with the situation, Caelin had previously thought that his companions were the ones provoking the Caudillo, instead it was the reverse. Barzillai had organized the event to provoke the citizenry, first with ludicrous decrees and now with outright torture and executions, he'd seen it in taphouses and barrooms, provoking one's opponent so when they went for a belt knife, you could thrust into their stomach and claim self defense when the guard came. Barzillai *wanted* the crowd to protest, for some reason, some display of power ...

    While keeping his eye on his contact, he moved towards the pro-Torkrest crowds, the sweets, and began to mutter, "Free captains are just bringing food and supplies for the bloody Pa'aash. Serves them right, if those vermin have food then they'll begin to breed like the rats they are, and we'll be up to our teats in filth and vermin. Truly, it's strength, law, and order that'll save us from that tide of gutterrats." He let his fist pump the air in support of the man whom he had more reason to hate than half the folks in the crowd, the bile rising in his throat, "PRAISE HOUSE TORKREST!" A wicked smile to the group he surrounded himself with, as he glared at the Umami, "I hope they get what's comin' to 'em."
    Last edited by Zero Prime; 2021-02-14 at 11:53 AM.

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    SamuraiGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Montana
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Hell's rebels - In Hell's bright shadow [ dnd 5e IC ]

    Orion
    V. Human (Aberrant) Sorcerer 1
    AC: 12 | HP: 8/8 | HD: 1d6
    Initiative: +2 | P. Perception: 13 | P. Investigation: 10
    Active Effects: None
    Conditions: None


    Orion finished the sandwich and licked his fingers just as Barzillai showed himself and made his bizarre announcement. "What in the nine hells is going on?" Orion unconsciously utters out loud. When it comes to politics, Orion is less than a neophyte, but he isn't stupid. And he doubts Barzillai is, either. He turns to the ratfolk around him, "This makes no sense, right?" Orion's fight or flight instinct (honed from a life of living beyond the law and on the edge of starvation) kicks in, and he looks around for any guards or other obvious danger closing in.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Perception check: (1d20+3)[6]

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •