Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Results 121 to 150 of 282
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Smilex's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Finland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Hell's rebels - In Hell's bright shadow [ dnd 5e IC ]

    Quote Originally Posted by Zero Prime View Post
    Caelin threaded through the alleys and wharfside, leading towards the Longshoreman's. Copper, Orion and likely their benefactor, Victocora, were likely becoming frustrated with the number of double backs and circuitous route to the tavern. Coming up to the backdoor, he turned and growled at the group, "Stay here, stick to the shadows, back in a few." With that he disappeared into the tavern, through a backdoor, sliding up towards the dwarven proprietor, trying to remain unobserved. "Max, listen." He lowered his voice, "****'s gone down in the park, I know there ain't a fight tonight, so how's about I hand you some nobleman's purse," he jingled the pouch of gold he'd been given by Victocora, "and you let me and mine use the basement, yeah?"[/td][/tr][/table]
    Getting to Longshoreman's back yard isn't just a walk. Caelin has to break through a shed but he's picked the lock a dozen times already so he can do it in half a minute. There's a five people on the backyard looking at a couple more who are wrestling. Looks like a friendly match. Not even betting going on.

    When Caelin gets to the main room Maxar acknowledges him with half a nod.
    Maxar is a grouchy sort and not really the best businessman. He answers Caelin
    Who says I got a cellar. What foolery. If you're coming down with something I can give you the backspace. But I'll have Scrag deal with anyone who claims I've got a cellar.

    He grabs the pouch of coin and goes through it.
    It's fair.

    Maxar takes a few steps to the backroom and behind the curtain.
    Out! Out! You've rested enough. You can walk!
    He yells. A little while later a ratling who's semi-conscious shuffles out and falls out the front door.

    Maxar comes back to the front side
    You better not draw any dottari in here whatever you're doing.

    Scrag, the fence / hitman stays seated at the backroom and gives Caelin a courtesy nod
    Sup.

    When Caelin looks behind the curtain there's a space that's usually reserved for people sleeping off something or having a shag. Maxar doesn't sleep in the premises himself. There's two beds, one of them dwarf-sized one fits a humansized person. There's a small table. At the back of the room there's an obvious latch in the floor that takes one to a basement.

    Maxar brings you a tin plate with some crackers on it and a tin jug of water.
    On the house. Regular price for everything else.

  2. - Top - End - #122
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2020

    Default Re: Hell's rebels - In Hell's bright shadow [ dnd 5e IC ]

    Hep Rigley
    Human Extortionist, Bard
    AC: 13 HP: 7/10 HD: 1/1d8 BI: 0/3d6
    PPrc: 9 PInv: 13 PIns: 9
    Conditions: - Disguise: - (PDec: 15)
    Concentration: -

    Quote Originally Posted by Smilex View Post
    -DIALOGUE-
    Hep can't help but smile in the midst of the camaraderie. "Lemonheads - you know, that in of itself sounds like a drink, or a confection, perhaps. Maybe if someone can convince The Dog to refrain from banning lemons, we could make lemonade, put some booze in it, and have a party! I suppose we all know better, though, that rancid slimebag..." Striking a few errant notes on his lute, the man does his best to ignore the sicklier rat when the one who addressed him as "Voiceman" catches his attention. "A silver? Tell me your name and I'll put you down for both a silver and the strong drink this one--" he says, nodding to the addict, "keeps asking me for!" Out of sympathy for picking on him, Hep turns to the sickly one with a raised brow and a smirk, "It's an open offer, you know. If you move quickly, you could beat him to the punch."

    Upon hearing Caelin's voice, Hep stops strumming his lute, his look darkening as he slowly peeks his head inside the bar. Mister 'Praise House Torkrest'... I suppose that's why he's snooping around - if any of the ratfolk recognize him for that shout earlier, then it'll be more than just a fight spilling into the streets.

    Hep gathers the name of the ratfolk willing to find the "gnarly" one before turning back inside, sidestepping the half-drunk ratling and walking to the bar to try and get Maxar's attention. "Pardon me, Gooddwarf - could you please notify the backroom that a certain Mister Andvari and company are here? I believe the two are acquainted."

    After ensuring the message would be sent, Hep heads back to K'tak and Andvari, taking the same seat across from the lizardfolk. "Caelin's here. In the backroom," he muses. For all the aloofness in his tone, he might as well have mentioned that the sky was blue, though his mind was far from wandering.

    Psycho killer / Qu'est-ce que c'est?

    Spoiler: Actor's Repertoire
    Show
    Voices that Hep can mimic using the Actor feat:
    Ally PC's: K'tak, Copper, Andvari
    Ally NPC's: -
    Enemies: Barzillai Torkrest
    Randos: wiry ratfolk urchin, skeevy ratfolk merchant

  3. - Top - End - #123
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Zhentarim's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Shreveport, Louisiana, US
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Hell's rebels - In Hell's bright shadow [ dnd 5e IC ]

    Copper begins listening in on everybody around her, taking a long rest. Wraithguards are able to rest without losing consciousness, so she interrupts the rest should anything catch her attention.

    Spoiler: Sentry's Rest racial feature
    Show
    When you take a long rest, you must spend at least six hours in an inactive, motionless state, rather than sleeping. In this state, you appear inert, but it doesnít render you unconscious, and you can see and hear as normal.

  4. - Top - End - #124
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2017

    Default Re: Hell's rebels - In Hell's bright shadow [ dnd 5e IC ]

    Andvari Stoneweller
    Mountain Dwarf, Artificer 1
    AC: 16 (Scale Mail) | HP: 10/10 | HD: 1/1d8 | Speed: 25
    Passive Perception 9 | Initiative: +2 | Stealth: Disadvantage (Scale Mail)
    Spell Slots: 1st 0/2
    Magical Tinkering: Ring, 5 ft of light (Andvari) : Ring, 5 ft of light (Andvari)


    Quote Originally Posted by Zalphier View Post
    "T'xar's ways made the tribe stronger but smaller, and when the dwarves attacked the ruin, we were made smaller still. The Sandscale may be the smallest and weakest tribe wandering the deserts now, if they're even still out there. My point Andvari, and I might be using this word wrong, but I think you are called brave?... And I wonder if others in my tribe could have been... brave? Then my tribe might not be almost wiped out," K'tak finishes with an approving nod before taking another breath and downing the rest of the drink in a quick gulp, and letting out a harsh hiss afterwards. None of what she'd said had been with significant emotion, more akin to simply stating fact, except up to the last part. There K'tak's voice had wavered slightly and gone contemplative and maybe actually upset.

    "Now who is this man and how could they help?"


    Andvari gives a small smile. "Thank you for the kind words, but I'm not sure brave is the right word to describe me just yet. We'll have a long way to go if we're going to do something about this."

    After hearing that Caelin had arrived, Andvari relaxed slightly. He had just been about to describe Mashy Keenwurst, but he thought it best to have everyone here for the discussion.


    Whenever the groups meet, Andvari seems to be in better spirits than before. "Caelin! Glad to see you were able to make it out safe." Only after a moment does he actually notice Orion and Copper. "You're all here?! How did you manage that?"

  5. - Top - End - #125
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Zhentarim's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Shreveport, Louisiana, US
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Hell's rebels - In Hell's bright shadow [ dnd 5e IC ]

    Quote Originally Posted by CaoimhinTheCape View Post
    Andvari Stoneweller
    Mountain Dwarf, Artificer 1
    AC: 16 (Scale Mail) | HP: 10/10 | HD: 1/1d8 | Speed: 25
    Passive Perception 9 | Initiative: +2 | Stealth: Disadvantage (Scale Mail)
    Spell Slots: 1st 0/2
    Magical Tinkering: Ring, 5 ft of light (Andvari) : Ring, 5 ft of light (Andvari)






    Andvari gives a small smile. "Thank you for the kind words, but I'm not sure brave is the right word to describe me just yet. We'll have a long way to go if we're going to do something about this."

    After hearing that Caelin had arrived, Andvari relaxed slightly. He had just been about to describe Mashy Keenwurst, but he thought it best to have everyone here for the discussion.


    Whenever the groups meet, Andvari seems to be in better spirits than before. "Caelin! Glad to see you were able to make it out safe." Only after a moment does he actually notice Orion and Copper. "You're all here?! How did you manage that?"
    Copper ends her rest prematurely to answer:
    "Our arrester was a double agent. A paladin of some kind. He used Lay on Hands on Orion."

  6. - Top - End - #126
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Zombie

    Join Date
    Jan 2021

    Default Re: Hell's rebels - In Hell's bright shadow [ dnd 5e IC ]

    K'tak
    Lizardfolk Barbarian
    AC: 15 | Current HP: 15 | Max HP: 14 | Hit Die: 1d12
    Initiative: +0 | Pperception: 15
    Condition(s): Bardic Inspiration.
    Active effect(s):


    "It's not? Did I use the wrong word?," K'tak asked with visible confusion on her face. She continued to ponder it as Hep returned and made his announcement and the groups were reunited. She continued to watch and listen as the mentioned party arrived and with others that surprised her. Andvari beat her to asking the obvious and she nodded towards Copper's explanation.

    "Another dwarf who works against our prey, that is good, that he is still trusted by the prey is even better. And if there are two, then there are probably others. Our task looks less impossible with every surprise," K'tak added with a grin. "But would be our next move? And is it safe to talk about it here?" K'tak asked quietly as she looked about the tavern, taking stock of the other patrons.

  7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Smilex's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Finland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Hell's rebels - In Hell's bright shadow [ dnd 5e IC ]

    When Andvari looks at Rexus, he feels there' something ...off.
    After thinking about it for a while, Andvari realizes Rexus is female.
    Spoiler: OOC Dwarven culture
    Show
    It's a lawful evil culture. A part of the culture is to grow up children to accept outlandish oppression, to destroy hope and identity. Parents do it in various ways and schools accentuate the practise. One practise that is sometimes used is to force children towards the gender identity of the opposite sex. Usually when the child grows older the practise is reversed and the opposite role is pushed with equal vigor. The aim is to force a broken identity that's easier to control. Many dwarves are left all kinds of messed up by this. Rexus is a male dwarf name though.


    Rexus seems very excited by the lot of you. He's quite passive in his behaviour but he seems full of energy, though quite confused by everything that's happening at the Longshoreman's. He keeps asking things like
    Is there a secret handshake?

    and

    Are all of these people ...'on the know'?

    When eventually you migrate to the backroom or even to the tunnel. Rexus tries to get more of a word in...


    Thank you again for allowing me in your hideout. I came to the protest today to seek the leaders of the fight against Torkrests and I'm so glad to have found all of you.

    My name is Rexus Victocora, and until last week's Night of Ashes, I was one of the city's nobles. My parents' estate burned to the ground that night - I escaped simply because I was studying at the Alabaster Academy during the fire. There were other fires that night, as you know - fires that many believe were started by Barzillai Torkrest or his agents in an attempt to squash any spirit of rebellion Kintargo might have.

    I can't bow down to this monster and I must do ... something. I need people who are willing to stand against the devil.

    My parents were high-ranking members of a secret society called the Sacred Order of Archivists. The black glove is their sign, this is my mother Porcia's glove. She ... sent me something via one of her contacts.


    Rexus draws out a letter that he shows you.
    It reads

    My dearest son,
    If you are reading this, what I have feared ahs come to pass and I am dead. For many years, I and your father have belonged to the Sacred Order of Archivists and have worked to free Kintargo from Torkrest influence.

    I have learned much about Kintargo's secret history, and fear the time will soon come when the city needs the return of its Silver Horde. You have likely not hear of the Silver Horde - few have. Mentions of them have been redacted by the agents of House Torkrest, but during sequential periods of tumult, the previous one close to hundred years ago the Horde worked to ensure Kintargo's safety. They were heroes in their day, and I fear that Kintargo needs their kind again.

    Do not believe the government's claims that caudillo Bainilus abandoned us. Darker things are afoot, and I fear that all who work against Torkrest may find themselves in danger in the days ahead.

    The Silver Horde maintained numerous hideouts within Kintargo's wall during the times of tumult. I have located one such site - the chambers below a building known today as the Fair Fortune Livery. If you are reading this, I was unable to seek further answers there myself. Gather heroes to your side, my son, and search below the livery. There, if my research is correct, you will find a part of the Silver Horde's legacy and a way forward.

    Do not let my death be in vain. Stand up for Kintargo. Bring the Silver Horde back to life!


    Rexus' hands tremble as he holds the paper. He looks at each of you in turn and asks
    What do you think?

  8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2017

    Default Re: Hell's rebels - In Hell's bright shadow [ dnd 5e IC ]

    Caelin Valaerys, Kintargo Cut Throat
    AC: 14 | MAX HP: 10 | CURRENT: 10 | HIT DIE: 1d8 | CURRENT: 1d8
    INITIATIVE: +3 | PASSIVE PERCEPTION: 16 | PASSIVE INSIGHT: 12
    Active Effects: None.
    Conditions: None.


    Caelin nodded his thanks at Maxar, moving towards the backroom, noting Scrag at the curtain, and returned the killer's nod.

    Quote Originally Posted by Scrag View Post
    Sup.
    At his grunted response, Caelin gave him a half smile, "Storm's comin', clouds gatherin'. You see anyone too curious 'bout me or mine, give 'em the bloody smile, eh?" His grin vanished, "Old time's sake." The man had pulled him out of the gutter that the Torkrest had kicked him to, broken and bloodied. Taught him the trade, set him on a bloody path ...

    His grim thoughts of the past were dispelled when a beautiful looking mastiff came through the curtains, brushing against the rogue's thigh. It's coat a glossy, black, healthy and full, though scars could be seen that hinted at a disturbing litter. The killer grabbed the scruff of it's neck affectionately, "Mjolnir, good boy." He got to one knee, pressing his forehead against the beast's blunt, thick, head, "G'boy."

    He was distracted by a familiar voice from the common room, as it moved to the rear.

    Quote Originally Posted by Andvari View Post
    "Caelin! Glad to see you were able to make it out safe." Only after a moment does he actually notice Orion and Copper. "You're all here?! How did you manage that?"
    He looked up from his place at the curtain, holding a finger to his lips as he ruffled the mastiff's head, "Back room, friend, now." He ushered his companions, Orion, Copper, and Rexus to the small cramped back room, as Andvari lead a group of his own companions through the curtain.

    Quote Originally Posted by K'tak View Post
    "But would be our next move? And is it safe to talk about it here?"
    "Back room!" He hissed in an amplified whisper, once everyone was through he moved there himself, once again nodding his thanks to Scrag. Once he followed his companions through the curtain, scanning the common room again for any Rocksolid, or Dottari agents, he discovered that Victocora was deep into an exposition. His brow furrowed as he listened to this talk of archivist's and secret organizations, "I think we're neck deep in ****, and Barzilla's boot in on our throat." A rough laugh, "'course some 'o us 'ave already felt his boot, the rest 'o you are feelin' it for the first time, ya?" He paused, "As fer what we're goin' ta do? Depends how much these fine folk are willin' ta wager on this? I slit more 'n a couple dottari throats tonight, so I'm all in. Rest o' you got plenty to lose, least of all, yer life. Anyone walk through that curtain, you may feel Torkrest boots on yer necks, but I won't think less o' ya, less'n you talk 'bout this meetin', then we'd haf ta put ya under."

  9. - Top - End - #129
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2020

    Default Re: Hell's rebels - In Hell's bright shadow [ dnd 5e IC ]

    Hep Rigley
    Human Extortionist, Bard
    AC: 13 HP: 7/10 HD: 1/1d8 BI: 0/3d6
    PPrc: 9 PInv: 13 PIns: 9
    Conditions: - Disguise: - (PDec: 15)
    Concentration: -

    Hep takes a few minutes in silence to study his new acquaintances. Rexus here is nervous as all get-out... not a clue what they're doing. Caelin, he's crass, but seems to be genuine, for now-- wait, did he just admit he slew dottari? Guards?! NOT the Rocksolid?! The actor brings a hand to his mouth to cover a low exhale, doing his best to conceal his reaction to that news.

    "Well, first, Rexus, my condolences for your loss," the man begins. "Whatever help you need, I'm in. Secondly, Copper... it is quite good to see you again," he said with a sigh and a warm smile, not sure how else to convey his relief beyond words. "Thirdly..." Hep paused, reforming his thoughts, finding a strange sense of comfort in the ghastly news Caelin had shared. No one will be looking for us. Everyone will be looking for him... "Does anyone happen to know where we can get some lamb for dinner tonight? I made a promise to The Lady here that I would make that happen." With a smirk and a hope of adding some joviality to the conversation, he turns to K'tak, "Moreover, I think we can get away with a nice mint sauce for it - The Dog's proclamation says nothing about sauces, only candies and confections, so we may be in luck if we can find a bold... chef... or something. Whatever-- still, lamb!"

    "Ah, moreover moreover," Hep continues, addressing Rexus, "how soon would you have us visit this 'Fair Fortune Livery' with you? First thing in the morning, perhaps?"

    And every single day is just a fling. / Then the morning comes.

    Spoiler: Actor's Repertoire
    Show
    Voices that Hep can mimic using the Actor feat:
    Ally PC's: K'tak, Copper, Andvari, Caelin
    Ally NPC's: Rexus Victocora
    Enemies: Barzillai Torkrest
    Randos: wiry ratfolk urchin, skeevy ratfolk merchant

  10. - Top - End - #130
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    SamuraiGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Montana
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Hell's rebels - In Hell's bright shadow [ dnd 5e IC ]

    Orion
    V. Human (Aberrant) Sorcerer 1
    AC: 12 | HP: 2/8 | HD: 1d6
    Initiative: +2 | P. Perception: 13 | P. Investigation: 10
    Spells: 1st: 0/2 | Sorcery Points: 0/2
    Active Effects: None
    Conditions: None


    Orion stayed quiet during the entire walk to the Longshoremen, trying to process everything that had happened. Orion was used to seeing death (or so he thought) but not on the scale of the riot. What was bothering him more was being the center of so much attention. His life so far had been spent trying to avoid as much attention as possible. But if he wanted a new life, maybe he needed to carve it for himself? He freind Caelin seemed to be doing fine being bold... So while struggling with these thoughts, he followed Caelin through town and into the Longshoreman's. Though he knew some shortcuts, he knew what Caelin was doing and let him lead.

    He had spent plenty of time at the Longshoreman in the past, but being in its familiar surroundings did not ease his disorientation. He saw the standard crowd of ratfolk and knew that he could not trust any of them. They could be spies for Torkrest, and he could easily find himself in the clutches of the guards again.

    He felt better hidden behind the curtain in the small room, except that it contained several people he did not know. Well, a couple anyway. The strange bard he heard at the riot, and...a lizardfolk. Orion stared at the lizardfolk, trying to see if it was related to the ones who betrayed him earlier today. But his inexperience with their kind and ignorance of their ways left him clueless. He listened closely to Rexus. But that only added to the strange events taking place today, and it did not help alleviate his general sense of bewilderment. His natural distrust rose to the fore. "So you want us to explore tunnels under the livery because of a letter from your dead mother? But first things first. I've lived in this town my entire life, and I don't think I've heard of either the Archivists or this Silver Horde. Has anyone?"

  11. - Top - End - #131
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Zombie

    Join Date
    Jan 2021

    Default Re: Hell's rebels - In Hell's bright shadow [ dnd 5e IC ]

    K'tak
    Lizardfolk Barbarian
    AC: 15 | Current HP: 15 | Max HP: 14 | Hit Die: 1d12
    Initiative: +0 | Pperception: 15
    Condition(s): Bardic Inspiration.
    Active effect(s):


    K'tak hesitated to join them behind the curtain, letting out a quiet but feral hiss in return for Caelin's, but those she did trust more didn't mind and so she followed. A bit cramped for the larger form of a lizardfolk, but K'tak found a spot and settled in as Rexus read her letter. The reptilian eyes watched Rexus's hands carefully, maybe even hungrily as she waited to see if Rexus gave any reason not to be trusted while delivering her speech. After Rexus finished, K'tak still lingered as Caelin proclaimed his willingness to stand by this cause which she supposed was enough reason to stop waiting for Rexus to pull a knife.

    "My own prey stands with yours, I will fight with you until I taste their flesh and blood," K'tak proclaimed simply after Caelin, but then her attention squarely fell on Hep. "We're still going out for lamb?" She asked with an uncharacteristic edge of hopeful eagerness in her voice that was further expressed by her tail twitching in anticipation. It did however not last long as the more pressing matters at hand came back into the spotlight. "I cannot say I have heard of this order either, but I have not been in this town for long. Where is this Livery?"

  12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Smilex's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Finland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Hell's rebels - In Hell's bright shadow [ dnd 5e IC ]

    Scrag seems uncomfortable when Caelin invokes old times.
    That's a lot to assume. Though I suppose I wouldn't like anyone who's after you.
    He reflexively checks that his garrotte isn't tangled.
    Have your meeting and be safe.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Zero, did you plan on Mjolnir being the dog Caelin's got? If your concept is that it stays at Longshoreman's while you're away that works. Maxar hates people but he's fine with dogs.



    A little later while the meeting is going on...

    Rexus answers some comments.
    Fair Fortune Livery is near the south-east edge of the town. Would you like to go tomorrow morning? Would tomorrow be good?

    When the discussion turns to food Rexus suggests
    Would you like the best lamb? There's a place called Wool of Barbatos. It's in temple district.

    When Orion questions the organizations - Silver Horde, Order of Archivists Rexus says
    Eighty years ago the Silver Horde saved the city from the Torkrests, the city avoided citizens being drafted for fights against orcs. The name refers to hordes of rats as well as the hordes of orcs that threatened Torkrest holdings.

    The archivists... The main thing was our family library. There were associated bards that travelled everywhere, Tukuut, Dwarven holds, Yuan-ti holds. They'd come and bring their stories. My parents would record the stories. Is that enough? I don't really know that much.

  13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2017

    Default Re: Hell's rebels - In Hell's bright shadow [ dnd 5e IC ]

    Caelin Valaerys, Kintargo Cut Throat
    AC: 14 | MAX HP: 10 | CURRENT: 10 | HIT DIE: 1d8 | CURRENT: 1d8
    INITIATIVE: +3 | PASSIVE PERCEPTION: 16 | PASSIVE INSIGHT: 12
    Active Effects: None.
    Conditions: None.


    Caelin shook his head, looking to Rexus, "Not goin' to happen, mate." He looked to the others, "Our benefactor here, took great care to conceal himself in the riots, ya? It ain't gonna help us none if he gets nicked by the Dottari while investigatin' this here livery." He looked back to the noble, "'stead he's goin' ta contract out, and we're goin' ta do it on his behalf, ya?"

  14. - Top - End - #134
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2020

    Default Re: Hell's rebels - In Hell's bright shadow [ dnd 5e IC ]

    Hep Rigley
    Human Extortionist, Bard
    AC: 13 HP: 7/10 HD: 1/1d8 BI: 0/3d6
    PPrc: 9 PInv: 13 PIns: 9
    Conditions: - Disguise: - (PDec: 15)
    Concentration: -

    Puzzled, Hep raises an eyebrow at Caelin's remarks. "'Great care to conceal' oneself is by using disguise or magic... you seemed to find Rexus easily enough, and they've implemented neither means. I mean no offense, but I must ask: what is 'great care' when one makes themselves easy to spot? or does something... unforgettable, say?"

    Not bothering with whether his implication landed, Hep turns his eyes on Rexus and continues, "Forgive me if this is impertinent, but I must insist on you joining us tomorrow morning. If there are indeed people in hiding at this livery, and they happen to be friends of yours, they should be quite confused as to who we are and what our intentions are without a familiar face - yours - to bolster our legitimacy. Think of it like a cameo: your face keeps the crowd at ease while the up-and-comers take the stage."

    Mary had a little lamb, little lamb, little lamb... Nine Hells, I'm getting hungry...

    Spoiler: Actor's Repertoire
    Show
    Voices that Hep can mimic using the Actor feat:
    Ally PC's: K'tak, Copper, Andvari, Caelin
    Ally NPC's: Rexus Victocora
    Enemies: Barzillai Torkrest
    Randos: wiry ratfolk urchin, skeevy ratfolk merchant

  15. - Top - End - #135
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Zhentarim's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Shreveport, Louisiana, US
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Hell's rebels - In Hell's bright shadow [ dnd 5e IC ]

    Spoiler: Sorry I havenít been on
    Show
    My internet is still giving me trouble. Itís going in and out. NPC me the next 24 hours if you need to in both games. I have unpleasant work I need to get done, and this forum is too much of a distraction because I would rather be here than doing what Iím supposed to do.


    Copper says ĒI remember the taste of lamb. I guess I can technically still eat as a wraithguard because of how Iíve been constructed, but its always felt like a waste to eat when I donít need to for survival and others are going hungry.Ē

  16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2017

    Default Re: Hell's rebels - In Hell's bright shadow [ dnd 5e IC ]

    Caelin Valaerys, Kintargo Cut Throat
    AC: 14 | MAX HP: 10 | CURRENT: 10 | HIT DIE: 1d8 | CURRENT: 1d8
    INITIATIVE: +3 | PASSIVE PERCEPTION: 16 | PASSIVE INSIGHT: 12
    Active Effects: None.
    Conditions: None.


    Caelin scowled at the scholar, "Dunno what the **** you on about mate," he paused, "I found him with care 'n patience 'n information. His enemies could do the same, ya? I ain't riskin' his neck, or his position on a ****ing chance, someone might be there. If it make's your milk-sop teeth feel better we can get a writ o' passage from the man, but he ain't comin' wif us, ya ken?"

    Spoiler: Out of Character Action
    Show
    OOC: Caelin is unwilling to risk an ear among the nobles in revealing our benefactor to anyone who may be watching the livery, or spot him with us, now, known rebels. It's giving up a long term advantage, for short term gain, which will lead us all to the gallows.

  17. - Top - End - #137
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2017

    Default Re: Hell's rebels - In Hell's bright shadow [ dnd 5e IC ]

    Andvari Stoneweller
    Mountain Dwarf, Artificer 1
    AC: 16 (Scale Mail) | HP: 10/10 | HD: 1/1d8 | Speed: 25
    Passive Perception 9 | Initiative: +2 | Stealth: Disadvantage (Scale Mail)
    Spell Slots: 1st 0/2
    Magical Tinkering: Ring, 5 ft of light (Andvari) : Ring, 5 ft of light (Andvari)




    Quote Originally Posted by Zalphier View Post
    "It's not? Did I use the wrong word?," K'tak asked with visible confusion on her face.
    Andvari is about to explain what he meant when Caelin arrives and the group is brought into the secret meeting. When asked to join the meeting Andvari walked behind the curtain with conviction that surprised even himself. Living with the indecision, not knowing who to believe, was not something he wanted to go back to. If he turned away now, that choice would eat away at him for the rest of his days.



    Quote Originally Posted by Smilex View Post
    When Orion questions the organizations - Silver Horde, Order of Archivists Rexus says
    Eighty years ago the Silver Horde saved the city from the Torkrests, the city avoided citizens being drafted for fights against orcs. The name refers to hordes of rats as well as the hordes of orcs that threatened Torkrest holdings.
    "Eighty years ago... Why, I would have been just a boy. The others around my age were encouraged to learn how to take up arms - I learned how to use the axes and hammers then and my parents encouraged me to learn other arts. I suppose they didn't want me on the front lines. But soon after there wasn't any mention of war or needing to send anyone. I always wondered why the training stopped."



    Andvari tried to stay out of the argument between Caelin and Hep. "Regardless of whether or not Rexus comes with us, I think all of us could use a rest after today's events. I'm not sure I'm quite ready to go yet."

  18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Smilex's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Finland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Hell's rebels - In Hell's bright shadow [ dnd 5e IC ]

    Rexus listens to the discussion, then he turns his skin into what looks like stone in the dim light and says.
    I don't get hurt easily.
    When the argument continues he adds.
    I can defend myself.
    And he casts a spell that shoots a spout of acid at a cracker that dissolves completely.
    His exasperation grows and finally he says...
    It's my parents' will that I see whatever is under there. I'm not rich. Most of my family's money was spent in the pursuit of knowledge. What I had left I already largely spent on getting some of you free. But I can pay you 20 gp each if you can get me to the secret
    of that livery stable. Please! It's everything to me!

  19. - Top - End - #139
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2020

    Default Re: Hell's rebels - In Hell's bright shadow [ dnd 5e IC ]

    Hep Rigley
    Human Extortionist, Bard
    AC: 13 HP: 7/10 HD: 1/1d8 BI: 0/3d6
    PPrc: 9 PInv: 13 PIns: 9
    Conditions: - Disguise: - (PDec: 15)
    Concentration: -

    Puzzled by the stony skin and outright startled at the line of acid, Hep's hand flies to his dagger by instinct as Rexus casts the attacking spell. The cracker dissolves in silence, as does any lingering paranoia in the man's mind. With an exhale of relief and a slow release of his weapon, Hep cracks a smile before breaking the tension. "**** me, mate... Looks like you'll be joinin' us tomorrow, ya?" adopting Caelin's voice with a wink to Rexus before taking on utmost sincerity. "Your parents ought to be proud of you, Gods rest them." Hep's smile broadens. "However you wish to approach the problem, I'm with you. The Dog has to pay somehow, and if helping you helps achieve that, I'm in."

    I won't say 'no' to twenty golds either, but he doesn't need to hear that.


    "Copper," he says, lightening the mood, "it's sad that you can't enjoy the lamb as it is, but you should still be part of the plans. And Andvari is more than right - we'll all need to rest up before investigating anything. When and where should we reconvene tomorrow?"

    Spoiler: Actor's Repertoire
    Show
    Voices that Hep can mimic using the Actor feat:
    Ally PC's: K'tak, Copper, Andvari, Caelin
    Ally NPC's: Rexus Victocora
    Enemies: Barzillai Torkrest
    Randos: wiry ratfolk urchin, skeevy ratfolk merchant

  20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2017

    Default Re: Hell's rebels - In Hell's bright shadow [ dnd 5e IC ]

    Caelin Valaerys, Kintargo Cut Throat
    AC: 14 | MAX HP: 10 | CURRENT: 10 | HIT DIE: 1d8 | CURRENT: 1d8
    INITIATIVE: +3 | PASSIVE PERCEPTION: 16 | PASSIVE INSIGHT: 12
    Active Effects: None.
    Conditions: None.


    Caelin was behind him, a knife to his throat before the smirk was off of Hep's face, "I told you, mate, keep my voice out o' yer mouth, 'fore I cut it out." The dagger, and the malice was gone as quickly as it flared, "If Rexus thinks he can handle his 'self, he can join you. You can find me outside the livery, I'll be makin' sure you blighter's ain't walkin' inta a g'damn trap."

  21. - Top - End - #141
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Zombie

    Join Date
    Jan 2021

    Default Re: Hell's rebels - In Hell's bright shadow [ dnd 5e IC ]

    K'tak
    Lizardfolk Barbarian
    AC: 15 | Current HP: 15 | Max HP: 14 | Hit Die: 1d12
    Initiative: +0 | Pperception: 15
    Condition(s): Bardic Inspiration.
    Active effect(s):


    Having already given her answer on the matter, K'tak resigned to lean back and listen as the other debated. Her reptilian eyes carefully watched the others, especially Rexus as they demonstrated various abilities to the objections to them coming along. K'tak actually started to find it amusing to an extent, though she did let out a sigh at the mention of a coin reward. She understood what the coins were and had rough guesses at their worth anymore, but she still questioned why. Before she could get too lost pondering this, she saw Caelin pull a knife on the Music man for his tricks and games and openly laughed about it.

    "Told you doing that would get you in trouble Music Man," K'tak said between laughs. "I could use a rest as well but dinner first."

  22. - Top - End - #142
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2020

    Default Re: Hell's rebels - In Hell's bright shadow [ dnd 5e IC ]

    Hep Rigley
    Human Extortionist, Bard
    AC: 13 HP: 7/10 HD: 1/1d8 BI: 0/3d6
    PPrc: 9 PInv: 13 PIns: 9
    Conditions: - Disguise: - (PDec: 15)
    Concentration: -

    Quote Originally Posted by Zalphier View Post
    "Told you doing that would get you in trouble Music Man," K'tak said between laughs. "I could use a rest as well but dinner first."
    "Ha! You both act like this is the first time this has happened to me!" The smirk on the actor's face fades as he considers his options - die in a foreign city, or keep the japes to himself - as Caelin withdraws the blade.

    "All the same, dinner!-- after a quick jaunt to the inn so I can change. I can head out and meet you back here if you prefer, since it may be a bit out of the way, or we could just meet at Wool. What do you say?"

    Spoiler: Actor's Repertoire
    Show
    Voices that Hep can mimic using the Actor feat:
    Ally PC's: K'tak, Copper, Andvari, Caelin
    Ally NPC's: Rexus Victocora
    Enemies: Barzillai Torkrest
    Randos: wiry ratfolk urchin, skeevy ratfolk merchant
    Last edited by StoneSeraph; 2021-02-26 at 07:53 AM.

  23. - Top - End - #143
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2017

    Default Re: Hell's rebels - In Hell's bright shadow [ dnd 5e IC ]

    Caelin Valaerys, Kintargo Cut Throat
    AC: 14 | MAX HP: 10 | CURRENT: 10 | HIT DIE: 1d8 | CURRENT: 1d8
    INITIATIVE: +3 | PASSIVE PERCEPTION: 16 | PASSIVE INSIGHT: 12
    Active Effects: None.
    Conditions: None.


    Caelin shook his head, patted his thigh and watched as Mjolnir stirred from under the table. "Yeah, people are dyin' 'neath Dottari blades, families hidin' from Torkrest's treachery, and some secret society is hidin' clues throughout the city. But don't let tha' blood flowin' in tha' gutter spoil yer dinner plans."

    He was seething as he left the room, the massive black coated hound following leisurely behind. Even though the people around the table said they were there to support the downtrodden, they didn't know what it meant, nor would they let it impact their life of leisure. People couldn't handle having their leisure taken from them, he understood, he'd clung on to his for years before it was stripped away, under the Torkrest inquisitor's implements and tools. As he moved towards the Livery, just before leaving Wharfside, Caelin tossed a scrap of jerkey he'd been gnawing on into the alley, prompting a look from the square face of his companion, "Nah, I got this boy, you stay here." The same gesture, pressing his forehead against the mastiff's thick skull, "Watch after folk, you smell any guards, you run, got it?"

    Spoiler: Out of Character Action
    Show
    OOC: Caelin doesn't *want* anyone to investigate, scout out the livery, however, anyone who wants can follow him, and catch up as he says bye to his dog, before hitting the livery. If not he'll continue there alone.
    Last edited by Zero Prime; 2021-02-26 at 08:56 AM.

  24. - Top - End - #144
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    SamuraiGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Montana
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Hell's rebels - In Hell's bright shadow [ dnd 5e IC ]

    Orion
    V. Human (Aberrant) Sorcerer 1
    AC: 12 | HP: 2/8 | HD: 1d6
    Initiative: +2 | P. Perception: 13 | P. Investigation: 10
    Spells: 1st: 0/2 | Sorcery Points: 0/2
    Active Effects: None
    Conditions: None


    Orion shook his head at Rexus's answers to his questions. These secret societies just sounded like games for bored rich people to him. He also didn't see how any of this could help his friends or the city.

    He was tired, so he decided to just watch the ensuing conversation. But when Rexus demonstrated some magical talent (more than Orion himself, truth be told), and especially when Rexus mentioned gold, his interest was caught. He was about to start making a plan to scout the livery with Caelin and rejoin the others in the morning, when he saw with frustration Caelin leave the bar. Well, I guess if he wanted us to join him he would have asked, and he can clearly take care of himself, Orion thought.

    To those remaining, Orion said "Well, I'm in. To help search this Livery, not your dinner plans. I'm not eating at any fancy establishment today, sorry. You all go ahead. Should we pick a time to meet at this Livery? How about just before sunrise?"

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Unless something else happens, Orion's plan is to grab something to eat from a food vendor, and then find a quiet, out-of-the-way spot and sleep this afternoon.

  25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Smilex's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Finland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Hell's rebels - In Hell's bright shadow [ dnd 5e IC ]

    Orion and Copper stayed to rest while Andvari, K'tak and Hep freshened themselves and went out for dinner with Rexus.

    The Wool of Barbatos turned out to have some trouble. The owner of the restaurant had been picked up for questioning based on mint-related offences. To your surprise you were seated in a way that your neighboring tables were full of yuan-ti. They were somewhat snooty and seemed to look down on the troubles of the city. Luckily the left early.

    The rest of the night went pleasantly enough. The lamb was good.

    Later, you tucked in for a good night's sleep. You arranged for a gathering around dawn and then walked to the Fair Fortune livery at the other side of the city. You circled around the stable but Caelin was nowhere to be seen. Instead you found a letter, impaled on a wall with a dagger. It read
    Nothing here but dogs and rats. I'm going to get the leader of the rocksolids.

    Indeed, you hear barking from inside the dilapidated building. Its large double doors are somewhat ajar.

  26. - Top - End - #146
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2020

    Default Re: Hell's rebels - In Hell's bright shadow [ dnd 5e IC ]

    Hep Rigley
    Human Extortionist, Bard
    AC: 13 HP: 10/10 HD: 1/1d8 BI: 3/3d6
    PPrc: 9 PInv: 13 PIns: 9
    Conditions: - Disguise: - (PDec: 15)
    Concentration: -

    After reading the note, Hep pulls the dagger from the door and passes the note to Andvari. Peeking inside the double doors, he retreats his head at the sound of the barking. Well, when you're right, you're right... Best of luck to him, all the same.

    "I suspect there's more than just animals in there, but there's only one way to find out. Who would care to lead?" Hep asks, looking over the group and hoping to hear an eager volunteer. "I'm better in a supporting role when it comes to this sort of production."

    Spoiler: Actor's Repertoire
    Show
    Voices that Hep can mimic using the Actor feat:
    Ally PC's: K'tak, Copper, Andvari, Caelin
    Ally NPC's: Rexus Victocora
    Enemies: Barzillai Torkrest
    Randos: wiry ratfolk urchin, skeevy ratfolk merchant

  27. - Top - End - #147
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2017

    Default Re: Hell's rebels - In Hell's bright shadow [ dnd 5e IC ]

    Andvari Stoneweller
    Mountain Dwarf, Artificer 1
    AC: 16 (Scale Mail) | HP: 10/10 | HD: 1/1d8 | Speed: 25
    Passive Perception 9 | Initiative: +2 | Stealth: Disadvantage (Scale Mail)
    Spell Slots: 1st 2/2
    Magical Tinkering: Ring, 5 ft of light (Andvari) : Stone, 6 seconds of audio "Hey, over here!" (Andvari)



    Andvari reads the note and nods. "Sorry that he won't be joining us. Wish him the best."

    The Dwarf takes a deep breath, peering into the livery. "I'll go in first, if we need." He taps his armor, "Not sure if a Dwarf is the best lead. Though, if Rexus and their family was involved, maybe it is."

    He pulls out the ring emitting 5 feet of light and plans to keep it out, unless someone objects.



    Spoiler: OOC
    Show


    If anyone suggests putting the light away, Andvari is happy to do it.

    Personality wise, he's not exactly ready for a leadership position but would lead the group in if needed. In terms of Armor Class, I think he'd be best either at the front or at the back (in case something comes up from behind).


  28. - Top - End - #148
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    SamuraiGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Montana
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Hell's rebels - In Hell's bright shadow [ dnd 5e IC ]

    Orion
    V. Human (Aberrant) Sorcerer 1
    AC: 12 | HP: 8/8 | HD: 1d6
    Initiative: +2 | P. Perception: 13 | P. Investigation: 10
    Spells: 1st: 2/2 | Sorcery Points: 2/2
    Active Effects: None
    Conditions: None


    Orion nods in thanks to Andvari. "Thanks for offering, Andvari. You know I'm not cut out for it." He looks at the rest of the group. "I guess now's as good a time as any to tell you all that I've survived so far by not drawing attention to myself. And I was born with some magical abilities. But I am not used to combat, and I don't think I would last long as the main target."

  29. - Top - End - #149
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Zombie

    Join Date
    Jan 2021

    Default Re: Hell's rebels - In Hell's bright shadow [ dnd 5e IC ]

    K'tak
    Lizardfolk Barbarian
    AC: 15 | Current HP: 15 | Max HP: 14 | Hit Die: 1d12
    Initiative: +0 | Pperception: 15
    Condition(s): Bardic Inspiration.
    Active effect(s):


    K'tak is silent as the note is passed about and regards it only briefly before looking back up to the livery. She let's the others take their chances peering in, but when it comes time to actually enter the building, she boldly steps forward to take point. "That is good to know Orion, and I can take lead Andvari," she adds while moving to the front of the group. She wastes little time in pushing open the door a bit more to let her larger frame through. "Should we be looking for stairs or something more hidden?" K'tak asks as she continues slowly and warily into the building, her eyes searching for all signs of movement, particularly any not currently locked behind a door or gate.

  30. - Top - End - #150
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Zhentarim's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Shreveport, Louisiana, US
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Hell's rebels - In Hell's bright shadow [ dnd 5e IC ]

    Quote Originally Posted by Continental Op View Post
    Orion
    V. Human (Aberrant) Sorcerer 1
    AC: 12 | HP: 8/8 | HD: 1d6
    Initiative: +2 | P. Perception: 13 | P. Investigation: 10
    Spells: 1st: 2/2 | Sorcery Points: 2/2
    Active Effects: None
    Conditions: None


    Orion nods in thanks to Andvari. "Thanks for offering, Andvari. You know I'm not cut out for it." He looks at the rest of the group. "I guess now's as good a time as any to tell you all that I've survived so far by not drawing attention to myself. And I was born with some magical abilities. But I am not used to combat, and I don't think I would last long as the main target."
    Copper agrees ĒWhile Iím able to stand on the front line, I must say my prayers to Howling Storm, so she will bless me with more spells. Iíd be careful, though, since I wonít be there to heal you if you need it.Ē

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •