New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Hell's rebels - In Hell's bright shadow [ dnd 5e IC ]

Quote Originally Posted by Zhentarim View Post
    While her arresters speak, Copper remains silent. They won't get information out of her this easy.
    Sergeant Mashy bends down and looks carefully at Copper's face.
    Silent, eh. That's good. That's good.

He then rises back up and says to the others
    Keep dealing with the crowd. This is just one. You've got work, get to it!

Then he puts a bag over Copper's head
    Sorry about that, there.

Copper is lifter off the ground and carried somewhere. Feels like it's not into the opera house.

The bag is removed once again and Copper finds himself in a closed carriage, staring once again at the sergeant.

The two are alone.

I heard you preach about Howlingstorm. You one of theirs?
    The sergeant says while calmly looking at Copper straight in the eye.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Continental Op View Post
    [COLOR="#800080"]

Orion narrows his eyes at the ratfolk, but responds to the dwarf. "Yes, I was at the riot. And I have no problem with the Jills." He looks at the dwarf. "Or whoever you are. But what do you want with Ann here?"
    Mr seconds says stone-faced
    No problem. That's nice. I don't know why a riot-leader like you would have a problem with a couple of normal upstanding people like us. Thing is, you just magicked one of the rocksolid citizens in that riot. A number of them are walking this way right now.
    He picks a wand out of his pocket and points it at you.

The ratfolk snarls at Orion
    The girl and the family serve mr Seconds... by contract. It's legal, see.

Ann's parents drag her away from Orion. Orion can see Ann pick a knife from his father's? belt but the parents stop her from doing anything with it.

Orion can hear the dwarves approaching.

Mr Seconds yells at them
    Good men of Kintargo, we have apprehended this rebel. We claim no reward, please take care of him.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

K'tak
    Lizardfolk Barbarian
    AC: 15 | Current HP: 6 | Max HP: 14 | Hit Die: 1d12
    Initiative: +0 | Pperception: 15
    Condition(s): Bardic Inspiration.
    Active effect(s):

In the red haze of her rage, K'tak had almost snapped at the ratfolk who'd helped her, but at the last moment, diverted to simply biting the dwarf he'd felled instead. She held the bite for a moment, letting the warm blood coat her mouth before letting go and looking back up at the ratfolk. "Gnarly?" K'tak replied with visible confusion between pants from her exertion as her rage started to fade. Looking about the chaotic crowd of fighting figures, K'tak took a step to find the next one to fight, but then she heard Hep's words and looks at the new arrivals to the fight. She didn't recognize them, but could still see the power they commanded, as well as the score of fresh new guards who bore no injuries, unlike herself who's legs now ached from the beating they'd received.

So with Hep and Andvari, K'tak flees the battle as the red haze slowly lifts to be replaced with the aches and pains of the fight. "I will live music man," K'tak replies on their way through the streets, but when Andvari mentions healing, she nudges him lightly with her snout before looking at the spots on her legs where her scales had been broken and torn. "I do not know this Longshoreman's, or who threw the dagger, but they could be helpful if they were able to inflict such a wound on a half devil that she had to retreat. Music man, what were those beasts you called hell hounds?" K'tak asked. Her own weapon had remained out for now, flight or fight instincts still present in how she carried herself.
    Last edited by Zalphier; 2021-02-21 at 01:38 PM.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hep Rigley
    Human Extortionist, Bard
    AC: 13 HP: 7/10 HD: 1/1d8 BI: 0/3d6
    PPrc: 9 PInv: 13 PIns: 9
    Conditions: - Disguise: - (PDec: 15)
    Concentration: -

The adrenaline of the fight begins to wear off, no longer holding back the pain of a bruise forming on Hep's shoulder. He winces and raises his hand underneath his shirt to the spot. No bleeding, but it'll really hurt tomorrow. I've slept off worse.

"I wouldn't say 'no' to healing magic, but please tend to my friend first. Pleased to meet you, Andvari. It might please you to know that I've met Caelin once before. Not the most savory fellow in the world, but if he and others you know are willing to help Copper, we would greatly appreciate it." Then again, what was Caelin's goal in shouting 'Praise House Torkrest' earlier?... And now we're traveling with a dwarven friend of his?... At least he's offering to help.

The man snaps out of his own thoughts and paranoia as the dwarf looks over the lizardfolk's wounds. Nodding at K'tak's mention of the ratfolk who wounded Nox - he didn't know who it could be, either - Hep's eyes widen at the mention of the hellhounds. "They're... actually fiends, if I recall correctly. An old mark I used to--" He hesitates, not wanting to say too much of his background in front of the dwarf, lest he mistrust him. "Someone my acting troupe did business with tried to purchase one to get out of our business arrangement. Given the state of his home when we found him, it was plain that he was better off dealing with us." Catching himself smiling at his own poor joke, Hep sobers himself. "They're vicious beasts from the Nine Hells themselves. Worse than regular dogs. Worse than regular bears, really, if you've ever seen one... It would be a spicy meal, Lady, that much is true. Andvari, you seem well-educated," Hep said as he turns to the dwarf, "would you happen to know what degree of magical aptitude one would need to summon such a monster?"

The air grows heavy with the scent of salt and sea as the group travels to Longshoreman's.

There's a place off Ocean Avenue...

Spoiler: Actor's Repertoire
    Show
    Voices that Hep can mimic using the Actor feat:
    Ally PC's: K'tak, Copper
    Ally NPC's: -
    Enemies: Barzillai Torkrest
    Randos: wiry ratfolk urchin, skeevy ratfolk merchant

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

It wasn't a moment where the villain kicked a dog. It was a moment when Andvari wished there was somebody to kick the dogs.
    It was a moment when Hep wished life was but a stage and the lifes being snuffed out were just extras.
    K'tak on the other hand... he remembered the smell of burning meat and he felt peckish.

The three turned around and ran. The hellhounds breathed gusts of flame and ignited the front rows of the crowd. Some of the rocksolids were cheering at first but even that quieted down in moments as the events got too gruesome. Even those that moments ago where fighting, bloodied, were turned off by the sight.

The trio ran out of Aria park and into the narrow streets of old town. Longshoreman's is near. If anyone would hate the most recent proclamation, it would be the smugglers that frequent Longshoreman's...

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Smilex View Post
    Sergeant Mashy bends down and looks carefully at Copper's face.
    Silent, eh. That's good. That's good.

He then rises back up and says to the others
    Keep dealing with the crowd. This is just one. You've got work, get to it!

Then he puts a bag over Copper's head
    Sorry about that, there.

Copper is lifter off the ground and carried somewhere. Feels like it's not into the opera house.

The bag is removed once again and Copper finds himself in a closed carriage, staring once again at the sergeant.

The two are alone.

I heard you preach about Howlingstorm. You one of theirs?
    The sergeant says while calmly looking at Copper straight in the eye.
    Copper laconically says "Yes."

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zhentarim View Post
    Copper laconically says "Yes."
    The sergeant nods
    It's a fine faith, cooperation, working for the common good. It's almost what one would hope a guard's work was all about.

The sergeant corrects his sitting position.
    I don't know if you're a golem or if there's a soul somewhere in there but I saw you cast a spell. I'm pretty sure you can think.

He sighs
    I get why you would be at the riot. The Night of Ashes was not something that the guard was involved in. It would never have happened under caudillo Bainilus. When the Thrashing Badger burned down, I'm sure there were a lot of people you knew.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    The temple of Howlingstorm was a place where people could come to eat, spend time together, spend a night. It was registered in the city as an inn as well as a temple. The inn part was called the Thrashing Badger. It was the name of the place before the temple bought it. Copper did not know it was involved in the Night of Ashes. He was busy dealing with a necromancer in the sewers and lived on the opposite side of town at the Big Wicket inn.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ettin in the Playground

The sergeant nods
    It's a fine faith, cooperation, working for the common good. It's almost what one would hope a guard's work was all about.

The sergeant corrects his sitting position.
    I don't know if you're a golem or if there's a soul somewhere in there but I saw you cast a spell. I'm pretty sure you can think.

He sighs
    I get why you would be at the riot. The Night of Ashes was not something that the guard was involved in. It would never have happened under caudillo Bainilus. When the Thrashing Badger burned down, I'm sure there were a lot of people you knew.

Show
    The temple of Howlingstorm was a place where people could come to eat, spend time together, spend a night. It was registered in the city as an inn as well as a temple. The inn part was called the Thrashing Badger. It was the name of the place before the temple bought it. Copper did not know it was involved in the Night of Ashes. He was busy dealing with a necromancer in the sewers and lived on the opposite side of town at the Big Wicket inn.
    Show
    I almost feel sympathy for the sergeant. He seems to show allegiance to Bainilus rather than Barzillai.

"These are trying times for our city. I seek only what is good for the people."

Copper resists the urge to say anything rude or to show too much of a reaction to the burning of the Thrashing Badger. She may have known people there who died, but for all Copper knows, the guard was just doing their job.

Wraithguards don't show much emotion by virtue of being constructed, but Copper is crying inside.
    Last edited by Zhentarim; 2021-02-21 at 07:16 PM.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Barbarian in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Orion
    V. Human (Aberrant) Sorcerer 1
    AC: 12 | HP: 3/8 | HD: 1d6
    Initiative: +2 | P. Perception: 13 | P. Investigation: 10
    Spells: 1st: 0/2 | Sorcery Points: 1/2
    Active Effects: None
    Conditions: None

Orion slowly drops his hands and dejectedly places his left on his belt pouch. Focusing on the crystal within, he then uses his last sorcery point to subtly cast Minor Illusion. He looks up at the dwarf and says to him "Why turn someone in who could be an ally? I could make it worth your while to let me go. This is a short-sighted pl-" He stops in horror, staring behind and between the dwarf and the ratfolk, as he causes the sound of a giant crab's menacing clicking and scraping along the cobblestones to emanate directly behind the pair of them.

If they turn around, or otherwise lower the weapons they have trained on him, Orion runs away from them and the group of rocksolids coming his way (to the south?). As he runs, Orion frantically searches for an alley or side-street to turn down and lose them.

Show
    I wanted to pick a creature that Orion could feasibly know what it actually sounds like. So I thought a giant crab would make some sense, given we are on the coastline and Orion make have actually encountered one in or near the city. Here is Orion's deception check for acting beaten and then terrified: (1d20+5)[22]

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

When Andvari, Hep and K'tak reach Longshoreman's it's a busy place. Somewhere along the way Hep's new ratfriend got separated from the group on the streets.

Here though a number of stormrats that clearly were at the riot are already hanging out in front of the bar. There's an undine who's selling 'something calming' to them. Stormrats are strong and fast, but they're courage tends to only last for as long as they're winning.

The bar itself has a normal lunch crowd but everybody's talking about the riot and the new proclamation. The owner seems very upset and you can see some foreigners with clothing that suggests they're captains. Having their last drinks before heading to their vessels, likely.

On the interior yard there's a brawl going on.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Continental Op View Post

Orion slowly drops his hands and dejectedly places his left on his belt pouch. Focusing on the crystal within, he then uses his last sorcery point to subtly cast Minor Illusion. He looks up at the dwarf and says to him "Why turn someone in who could be an ally? I could make it worth your while to let me go. This is a short-sighted pl-" He stops in horror, staring behind and between the dwarf and the ratfolk, as he causes the sound of a giant crab's menacing clicking and scraping along the cobblestones to emanate directly behind the pair of them.

If they turn around, or otherwise lower the weapons they have trained on him, Orion runs away from them and the group of rocksolids coming his way (to the south?). As he runs, Orion frantically searches for an alley or side-street to turn down and lose them.
    The two do turn around at the strange noise. Orion starts moving to the other direction but the dwarves behind Orion aren't similarly distracted and they dash, where Orion gets a normal move with the illusion taking his action. When Orion is already surrounded by dwarves he feels a crossbow bolt in his shoulder and goes unconscious...

At another time, in another place...

The carriage's door opens and an unconscious Orion is pushed to the floor of the carriage by two dwarves. Orion's got manacles on.

Sergeant Keenwurst looks at the dwarves and says.
    Out cold. That's pretty. That's real pretty.

They answer.
    It's the irregulars. That's the way they brought him in.

Sergeant points at a handcrossbow's bolt on Orion's shoulder. It's got red feathers.
    They fire the same bolts that Red Jills do now?
    He shakes his head
    Get out and drive.

Sergeant Keenwurst has some trouble rising up from his seat but when he's up he has no trouble at all lifting Orion's unconscious body up from the floor. He gives Orion a series of slaps on his cheeks.
    You don't look too bad. You're just a bit tired, aren't you.

Show
    Copper can see through the attempted deception. While he's seemingly slapping Orion, he's using lay on hands to restore two hit points to Orion. Orion is in manacles and restrained.

Orion wakes up in a dimly lit carriage while he's being slapped around by a fat and smelly dwarf guard.
    The doors of the carriage close and moments later the cart starts driving away.

As Orion wakes, the sergeant gives a big smile.
    There now, I knew it was just a flesh wound. Watch the bolt.
    He says while laying Orion on a seat next to Copper.

That's nice. Just three people sitting in a carriage. We live in interesting times.
    He looks at Copper.
    Good of the city you say. That's good. The city would need some good. While caudillo Bainilus wasn't a warcrazy tyrant she wasn't so clean herself. It was under her we got the drug epidemic and it was under her that our funds were shunted to whoknowswhere. Difficult to keep the dottari's morale high when you don't have gear or much pay either. Tabaxi don't seem to have that trouble. That body of yours must have cost a pretty penny.

The carriage moves across the city's streets...

12. - Top - End - #102
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hep Rigley
    Human Extortionist, Bard

When Andvari, Hep and K'tak reach Longshoreman's it's a busy place. Somewhere along the way Hep's new ratfriend got separated from the group on the streets.

Here though a number of stormrats that clearly were at the riot are already hanging out in front of the bar. There's an undine who's selling 'something calming' to them. Stormrats are strong and fast, but they're courage tends to only last for as long as they're winning.

The bar itself has a normal lunch crowd but everybody's talking about the riot and the new proclamation. The owner seems very upset and you can see some foreigners with clothing that suggests they're captains. Having their last drinks before heading to their vessels, likely.

On the interior yard there's a brawl going on.
    Conceal, don't feel, / don't let them know...

Despondency is neither familiar nor comfortable to Hep. Realizing he'd been staring at the cobblestones like a man approaching the gallows, the actor puts on his usual mercurial facade before greeting the Stormrats outside Longshoreman's. I don't see our new friend... I certainly hope he and his made it out alright... Hep leads his friends inside, the smells of stale beer and rank, rotting wood assaulting the senses as his boots stick to the floor with each step. The actor transforms his grimace of disgust into a polite smirk. Lovely as ever...

"Lady, Andvari, if you could please find us an open table, I'll get us the first round." Hep points to a table near the back of the place as he bellies up to the bar, doffing his hood and waiting patiently for the dwarf behind the bar to square away the tab of a patron sitting closer to the exit. The sound of the brawl in the yard draws the man's attention, but he turns away from the unpleasant reminder of what just transpired in the park. The actor smiles broadly as Maxar approaches to take the order. "Good afternoon, Gooddwarf. Three mugs of your strongest ale, please... and a bit of something stronger for myself as well, if you don't mind," letting his mask fall a bit. Hep takes the appropriate amount of coin from his pouch and places it on the bar, keeping his hand over it until the barkeep can take it for himself.

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    I'm assuming mugs of ale are PHB prices, but I don't know what "something stronger" would cost. I'll subtract a price from my character sheet once its given.
    I'm also assuming that, for the amount of gold we started with, we have appropriate denominations of coin to avoid drawing unwanted attention.

Show

13. - Top - End - #103
    Troll in the Playground

Caelin Valaerys, Kintargo Cut Throat
    AC: 14 | MAX HP: 10 | CURRENT: 10 | HIT DIE: 1d8 | CURRENT: 1d8
    INITIATIVE: +3 | PASSIVE PERCEPTION: 16 | PASSIVE INSIGHT: 12
    Active Effects: None.
    Conditions: None.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackglove View Post
    Blackglove answers, There could be money, but it's more important than that, uh. The dwarf raises his eyebrow and taps the beard back agains his cheeks. A meeting? You've got friends of your caliber? That's wonderful. I'd be happy to join you at this... Longshore-thing. There's another meeting that I need to have here first. Meeting you here is fortuitous. I'm exhilarated. Blackglove points toward the smaller park on the opera's east side. Nevertheless I need to be here for a moment. Blackglove wipes sweat from his brow and offers Caelin 10 gp. For your trouble, mr killer. Just bear with me. Someone else needs to come along and I'm meeting them here, at the park.
    Caelin accepted the payment, a cocked smile on his face, he hadn't actually expected payment, but he wasn't going to turn down a handful of coin. "First off, you've hired yourself a blade for the night, so if we need to meet your friend, lay on." With a wave of his hand, the rogue indicated the direction of the park, "As for my friends, I have a man, knows how to survive the streets and the gutters, came up through them, he's got a modicrum of arcane talent, as good with that as I am with a knife. A few more, some o' them were there at the riot, they should meet us wharfside."

He did look around nervously, "We should get the hell out of here, dottari will be rounding up stragglers, and Torkrest sympathizers will be reporting on any suspicious behaviour. Let's go get your friend," and with that said he moved to the mouth of the alley, checking the corners, before plotting a route to the park for Blackglove's companion.

Spoiler: Out of Character Actions
    Show
    OOC: I'll check to make sure we're not being tailed, and avoiding any Dottari patrols, (1d20+6)[10]. Then move us towards the park to meet Blackglove's contact.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Prime View Post
    Caelin accepted the payment, a cocked smile on his face, he hadn't actually expected payment, but he wasn't going to turn down a handful of coin. "First off, you've hired yourself a blade for the night, so if we need to meet your friend, lay on." With a wave of his hand, the rogue indicated the direction of the park, "As for my friends, I have a man, knows how to survive the streets and the gutters, came up through them, he's got a modicrum of arcane talent, as good with that as I am with a knife. A few more, some o' them were there at the riot, they should meet us wharfside."

He did look around nervously, "We should get the hell out of here, dottari will be rounding up stragglers, and Torkrest sympathizers will be reporting on any suspicious behaviour. Let's go get your friend," and with that said he moved to the mouth of the alley, checking the corners, before plotting a route to the park for Blackglove's companion.[/TD][/TR][/TABLE]
    Caelin doesn't see anyone following them. The twosome hide in a bush in the middle of the park and wait. A while later an unmarked carriage drives toward the park and actually into it. The dwarf stands up and moves forward to greet it while whispering.
    You stay here a moment. Better they don't see you.

When the carriage gets closer Caelin notices that the driver and guy on top of it have dottari uniforms poorly hidden by loose robes over the uniform.
    Betrayal!

There's no easy escape route, surely they've blocked the alleys... But before a plan is formulated the carriage halts and it's door opens to a familiar sight...

Inside the cart sergeant Keenwurst says to Orion and Copper
    My orders today were to keep the peace and keeping you out of trouble seems likely to increase that peace. As for actually taking you into a jail, I don't know about that. Seems like one of you was just taken in because of physical resemblance to a person who was shouting in the middle of a protest while the other... not even a living thing, an item really. ... Someone wants you free and who am I to argue with such flimsy reasons to keep you...

He detaches leg cuffs from both Orion and Copper.
    These are pretty expensive. I'll just take them back. Now try to keep out of trouble and out of sight. There's a guy that killed some dottari in the riot and I need to go after them. So... let's just stay out of each others' way, eh?

He removes the handcuffs while the carriage grinds to a halt.

The door is opened and you're in the middle of trees, a park of all things.
    There's a dwarf with fancy clothing and one black glove.

Somebody tosses Copper and Orion's weapons down to the ground from on top of the carriage.

Sergeant Keenwurst says to Blackglove
    You have got to smarten up if you keep doing these things. Next to the boning Opera house? This is the stupidest meeting place ever. I've got you a couple of protest leaders, you better have something for me.

Blackglove tosses a jingling pouch to the sergeant. He vaguely approximates the amount of money.
    Ok. I know a guy who can get me shields for two squads with this. You on the other hand might want to invest on some better clothing. You're visible for miles.

Once Copper and Orion are out of the carriage, the cart drives away.

The dwarf with the single black glove beams with excitement and his hands tremble while addressing Orion and Copper.
    I'm Rexus Victocora and I need your help with a conspiracy.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Troll in the Playground

[/tr][/td]

Show
    OOC: I am good to transition to the bar, but if **** is going to go down, I am ready for that too.
    Last edited by Zero Prime; 2021-02-22 at 06:24 PM.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

K'tak
    Lizardfolk Barbarian
    AC: 15 | Current HP: 6 | Max HP: 14 | Hit Die: 1d12
    Active effect(s):

K'tak listens closely as Hep explains what the beast of fire were and the power it would take to summon them to this world, her features stoic in contemplation. Then however the smells of the sea unleash their assault on her senses, and K'tak perks up a fair bit, raising her head and twisting about one way and then another. Having been born of the desert, K'tak had only seen the sea a few sparse times since coming to the city but those few times were more than enough to have her wanting to always see it. The offensive odors of sea salt and fish didn't seem to faze K'tak as she continued alongside Andvari and Hep, actually it almost seemed to invigorate her as she craned her head to look down streets in hopes of catching a glimpse of it.

As they arrive to Longshoreman's, K'tak finally stows her axe and follows Hep's suggestion. She siits herself at one of the tables towards the back, mindful of her long tail while sitting. Her reptilian eyes look over the crowd, taking in their whispers and murmurs about what had transpired, and she briefly tried to find familiar faces among the crowd. This was quickly given up though as she realized there were very few she committed to memory, and instead her focus fell on the brawl. "Andvari," K'tak spoke up without looking at the dwarf. "This fight looked to be between dwarves and others, why did you fight with us?"

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Prime View Post

Caelin stepped from the bushes, his hand resting loosely on the handle of his crossbow, "Victocora, you want to tell me what the soddin' hell, that was?" While he was relieved to see his friends, he still couldn't help but feel betrayed by the well groomed dwarf.
    Show
    Victocora is a minor noble family. There was some scandal several years ago that had people of the hoity-toity kind talking. It wasn't something that anyone really cared about but they were a laughingstock for a while. Caelin doesn't know sergeant Keenwurst. He's not famous as such and he's not of the Torkrest circle, his career is with the city.

Rexus talks, switching between talking to Caelin and talking to Copper and Orion
    Calm down mr Killer. These are friends, I hope. Uh. Welcome new people. I just rescued you. I bribed the dottari to release you. Uh. This is an assassin I hired. Umm... I'm looking for help myself. The new caudillo, Barzillai Torkrest killed my parents in the Night of Ashes and I can't accept it. Should we go somewhere better though? I don't know much about conspiracies work really, it used to be my parents' thing. I have something I'd like to show you.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Bugbear in the Playground

Andvari Stoneweller
    Mountain Dwarf, Artificer 1
    AC: 16 (Scale Mail) | HP: 10/10 | HD: 1/1d8 | Speed: 25
    Passive Perception 9 | Initiative: +2 | Stealth: Disadvantage (Scale Mail)
    Spell Slots: 1st 0/2
    Magical Tinkering: Ring, 5 ft of light (Andvari) : Ring, 5 ft of light (Andvari)

Andvari pulls out some medicine and applies it to K'tak. "Unfortunately, I cannot do more, at least for today."

Cure Wounds: (1d8+2)[9]

Quote Originally Posted by StoneSeraph View Post
    Andvari, you seem well-educated," Hep said as he turns to the dwarf, "would you happen to know what degree of magical aptitude one would need to summon such a monster?"
    "I know some about the arcane arts, even if I'm a bit more mechanically bent."

Arcana: (1d20+2)[22]

Show

I'll have more time to post tonight, but wanted to get these rolls done. I saw K'tak's question but don't have time for a long response now.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Barbarian in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Orion
    V. Human (Aberrant) Sorcerer 1
    AC: 12 | HP: 2/8 | HD: 1d6
    Initiative: +2 | P. Perception: 13 | P. Investigation: 10
    Spells: 1st: 0/2 | Sorcery Points: 0/2
    Active Effects: None
    Conditions: None

Orion listens to the wealthy nobleman, quite shaken after getting wounded, blacking out, coming to in the sergeant's carriage, and finally getting released. He looks at Caelin. "So this is your contact, Caelin?" He turns to Rexus. "Well, I am grateful for the rescue from the guard. Caelin and I know a place near the wharf that should be good to discuss your proposition. It would be good to get off the street before anything else weird happens today...Although we may want to do something about your outfit before going in there, lest it draw too much attention. I could help with that, if you want."

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    Regarding the source of hellhounds, Andvari knows they might not be even summoned. There's permanent Hellgates in some dwarven holds. Hellhounds might have simply ...walked over. Most likely they were contracted, not summoned. If they were summoned the powers required would be very high indeed...

Andvari has shared a drink with Orion and Caelin here a couple of times. That's not enough to really know the people here but he's seen Scrag, a human sitting at the backroom, scanning the public room. He's seen the azer be feted by the crowd for winning a fight. He's seen Enilka Lei, the undine - she's always outside dealing. Finally he's seen plenty of ratfolk but Barr and Arvin have been here every time, just normal clients apparently...

Spoiler: Clientele
    Show

As Hep is getting drinks... Barr the ratfolk intrudes
    I saw you at the riot today. You did good. My mother used to say... a good turn deserves another. I will pay for those ales.

Maxar looks at Barr, says
    Your money.
    He pours three ales into tin cups and gives them to Hep, refusing Hep's money in turn.

If you're looking for the really strong stuff you can ask Enilka outside. She's got everything including arashni. Strongest I have is Coleopterum, it's 15 gp per bottle or 3 a shot. If you just want a drink of something basic, Hive Whiskey is 2 silver a shot.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hep Rigley
    Human Extortionist, Bard

As Hep is getting drinks... Barr the ratfolk intrudes
    I saw you at the riot today. You did good. My mother used to say... a good turn deserves another. I will pay for those ales.

Maxar looks at Barr, says
    Your money.
    He pours three ales into tin cups and gives them to Hep, refusing Hep's money in turn.

If you're looking for the really strong stuff you can ask Enilka outside. She's got everything including arashni. Strongest I have is Coleopterum, it's 15 gp per bottle or 3 a shot. If you just want a drink of something basic, Hive Whiskey is 2 silver a shot.
    So shines a kind deed in a weary world...

The gesture lifts Hep's spirits more than the spirits he had in mind ever could. "Thank you, Friend," is all he can manage as he shakes Barr's hand before collecting the ales and pocketing the money he had intended to use. He turns to thank the barkeep in kind, "The really strong stuff isn't quite my cup of tea, but I'll come back for some Hive Whiskey before I leave here. And please, hold me to that promise - I have a distinct feeling I'll need a drink for the road..."

The sodden, sticky floors make walking tricky; gauging his steps carefully, Hep delivers the drinks to the table, handing a cup to both K'tak and Andvari before sitting down next to the dwarf, mindful of the lizardfolk's tail opposite him. Hep sets his lute beside him and raises his cup at the center of the group with a toast, "To old times and new friends".

Without wasting a second after his friends' drinks touch his own, the man draws the cup towards him and begins to chug, quaffing its contents in short order. The bottom of the now-empty vessel smacks against the table as Hep brings it down with a tight grip, his eyes closed just as tightly as he exhales, the warmth of the dwarven ale coursing through him before he leans backwards in a long stretch. He shakes his head slowly as he straightens up in his seat, taking another deep breath before speaking. "Forgive me," he began, "I'm not quite myself after... 'that', let's say. I think I'll just sit and rest a while before I decide to go outside and stand watch in case the dottari show up." Staring sidelong at nothing particular, Hep lets his thoughts wander as the buzz sets in.

Show
    Last edited by StoneSeraph; 2021-02-22 at 03:22 PM.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ettin in the Playground

I feel so lucky to be out of that. I guess Sargeant Keenwurst is a double agent then? Also, I agree that we need to decide where we should meet up next--I cleared out a place in the sewers that used to belong to a pretty nasty necromancer. Its pretty secret and secluded, with living quarters big enough for all of us and a dungeon that can hold up to 5 prisoners. I left the Necromancer's books down there, too. It took me a long time to figure out how to open the secret passageway from the sewer into the hideout. As a wraithguard, I no longer need to smell if I don't want to, but you all may not like the smell down there, so maybe we can save that hideout as a secondary option. The temple I serve has accomedations as well and has the benefit of being closer to the markets and not needing to be kept a secret. Where do you guys want to go after we drop Rexus off at the Wharf? I also heard something about a tavern you guys wanted to meet at?"

Copper slowly moves her metal cat-like tail from side to side, and twitches her mechanical ears. Though she is no longer a tabaxi in flesh, she hasn't gotten rid of her old habits.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Troll in the Playground

Caelin nodded, "The Longshoreman's, we should probably meet there," he eyed the Wraithguard up and down, "Thing is those blighters," he nodded in the direction the coach had retreated, "are lookin' for the guy who gave the dottari the red smile." By way of explanation, he drew a finger across his throat, "thing is, they didn't get a good look at me, but you," he turned to Copper, "stand out m'dear." He withdrew his thick cloak, with hood and provided it to his new, mechanical companion, "As for a sewer hideout?" He paused, "Let's see what our friend has to say before we decide."

Show
    OOC: I am good to transition to the bar, but if **** is going to go down, I am ready for that too.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Bugbear in the Playground

Andvari Stoneweller
    Mountain Dwarf, Artificer 1
    AC: 16 (Scale Mail) | HP: 10/10 | HD: 1/1d8 | Speed: 25
    Passive Perception 9 | Initiative: +2 | Stealth: Disadvantage (Scale Mail)
    Spell Slots: 1st 0/2
    Magical Tinkering: Ring, 5 ft of light (Andvari) : Ring, 5 ft of light (Andvari)

Even if the Longshoreman was not quite Andvari's favorite place to get food, being somewhere familiar was a welcome end to the day. The crowded bar that normally Andvari didn't care for was now a chorus of sympathetic voices, all looking to come together over the shocking news of the day. The dwarf kept quiet, feeling as if all eyes were on him after the Dwarven leader's actions today.

Only when he healed K'tak did the Dwarf seem truly comfortable, after that he kept mostly quiet eating his modest meal and conveniently busy drinking whenever there was a lull in the conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Zalphier View Post
    "Andvari," K'tak spoke up without looking at the dwarf. "This fight looked to be between dwarves and others, why did you fight with us?"
    "I... see, this is..." He paused, putting together his words. "I don't think this is a fight between Dwarves and the others. Or, if it is, it shouldn't be.

I've been working with the guard for some time now, and especially lately have seen that. Well, some of their actions go against the morals that we're supposed to believe in. Compassionate to others. There to serve the people and tend to their needs. What the guards are supposed to be doing, serving the community. But. Well, you've seen what the new leader has decided. Not all Dwarves are going to be supportive of that.

In truth, I owe some of this realization to Caelin. He made some claims about what some of the guards were doing, but I guess I never really recognized it until a friendly voice showed just how some Dwarves interacted with other people."

He took a sip of his drink. "I didn't plan on attacking anyone today. Just wanted to keep the people there safe." He indicates the healing he gave to K'tak. "Not exactly sure what my life looks like now. I did make a move against a Rocksolid today, to say nothing of healing you and Copper.

Oh. Thinking back, I may know who to talk to about our friend. There's a man who was with the guard today, he'll likely be able to help us..."

25. - Top - End - #115
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

K'tak
    Lizardfolk Barbarian
    AC: 15 | Current HP: 15 | Max HP: 14 | Hit Die: 1d12
    Active effect(s):

K'tak eyes the drink suspiciously for a few moments after the cheer and gives it a few tentative sniffs at first. She hadn't forgotten the first time the music man had gotten her a drink and how it'd been bitter with no flavor and burned her mouth and throat. Another time she'd nearly had the teeth around his throat. But the smell was familiar enough that she had a guess what she was in for, and prepared appropriately before taking a sip. The grimace to follow though couldn't be fought, nor the shudder that followed.

Then K'tak listened attentively to Andvari even if she wasn't looking at him, though that wasn't for long as she came to fully address him as he went on. The cold reptilian eyes stared as he explained and gave his reasons and only after he stopped did she interject. "In my tribe, the Sandscale, there is only the leader. They are the strongest of us, getting to claim so by defeating the last leader in combat and eating them to take upon them the strength of those before. There are no factions within the tribe, just the tribe, and any who go against it are seen as weakness and banished or eaten," K'tak paused for a moment then to take in a deep breath and slowly exhale before continuing in the same calm voice as before. "When the current leader rose, T'xar, he changed us from wanderers to warriors, forcing all new hatchlings to pick up a weapons and fight as a test to earn life's rite." K'tak's claw shifts the sleeve on her tunic down to where the shoulder was visible, the long faded outline of a scar in the shape of a bite on full display before she lifted it back up.

"T'xar's ways made the tribe stronger but smaller, and when the dwarves attacked the ruin, we were made smaller still. The Sandscale may be the smallest and weakest tribe wandering the deserts now, if they're even still out there. My point Andvari, and I might be using this word wrong, but I think you are called brave?... And I wonder if others in my tribe could have been... brave? Then my tribe might not be almost wiped out," K'tak finishes with an approving nod before taking another breath and downing the rest of the drink in a quick gulp, and letting out a harsh hiss afterwards. None of what she'd said had been with significant emotion, more akin to simply stating fact, except up to the last part. There K'tak's voice had wavered slightly and gone contemplative and maybe actually upset.

"Now who is this man and how could they help?"
    Last edited by Zalphier; 2021-02-23 at 11:40 AM.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ogre in the Playground

The group of Caelin, Copper, Rexus and Orion disguise themselves as best as they can and sneak through the streets to Longshoreman's.
    There's no dottari on the streets to be seen. THey're probably all still dealing with the situation at the park.

Meanwhile the others have time to enjoy their ales. Maxar has some very bad products available but he gave you a good strong ale. Dwarves can do some good brewing. This one is very acceptable even for Andvari.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ettin in the Playground

If Copper is bought drinks, she drinks. Though it is far harder for wraithguards to get drunk than mortals, it is (surprisingly) not impossible. Otherwise, Copper refrains from eating and drinking since she doesn't need food or drink to survive and anything she eats or drinks literally goes right through her new metallic body.

Copper keeps her trenchcoat she was gifted wrapped tightly around her, so she blends in better.

"Some day we've had, eh?"

28. - Top - End - #118
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hep Rigley
    Human Extortionist, Bard

Spoiler: OOC: Timeline
    Show
    I'm under the assumption that Caelin, Copper, and Orion have not yet made it to Longshoreman's.

Hep's fingers drum idly on the table as he listens to his friends speak. With a bit of study, he approximates in his head how he can best mimic Andvari's voice before returning to his own silent musings. Best to spare them my brooding. It's unbecoming... Still, we must find and free Copper... somehow...

In time, the alcohol flushes out the bad humors in Hep's blood, making way for the return of his usual quicksilver. Excusing himself from his friends, restating his plan to stand watch outside, he picks up his lute and makes his way to the bar, ordering a shot of the Hive Whiskey and downing it quickly to deter as much of the harsh sting as possible. After paying the two silver and thanking Maxar with a handshake, the man steps outside to speak with the Stormrats who had also just come from the riot. After some idle chatter, Hep gets to the heart of the matter: "There was one among you with a particular hairstyle," the Stormrat who had felled a Rocksolid that K'tak was fighting. Hep describes the person and continues, "He used the word 'gnarly', quite specifically. I don't know if that's a catchphrase of his or whatever, but given what I've described, do you know him? I should like to find him and thank him for helping my friend. I owe him a drink, at the very least."

Show
    Ally PC's: K'tak, Copper, Andvari
    Last edited by StoneSeraph; 2021-02-23 at 09:50 AM.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Troll in the Playground

Caelin threaded through the alleys and wharfside, leading towards the Longshoreman's. Copper, Orion and likely their benefactor, Victocora, were likely becoming frustrated with the number of double backs and circuitous route to the tavern. Coming up to the backdoor, he turned and growled at the group, "Stay here, stick to the shadows, back in a few." With that he disappeared into the tavern, through a backdoor, sliding up towards the dwarven proprietor, trying to remain unobserved. "Max, listen." He lowered his voice, "****'s gone down in the park, I know there ain't a fight tonight, so how's about I hand you some nobleman's purse," he jingled the pouch of gold he'd been given by Victocora, "and you let me and mine use the basement, yeah?"

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by StoneSeraph View Post

In time, the alcohol flushes out the bad humors in Hep's blood, making way for the return of his usual quicksilver. Excusing himself from his friends, restating his plan to stand watch outside, he picks up his lute and makes his way to the bar, ordering a shot of the Hive Whiskey and downing it quickly to deter as much of the harsh sting as possible. After paying the two silver and thanking Maxar with a handshake, the man steps outside to speak with the Stormrats who had also just come from the riot. After some idle chatter, Hep gets to the heart of the matter: "There was one among you with a particular hairstyle," the Stormrat who had felled a Rocksolid that K'tak was fighting. Hep describes the person and continues, "He used the word 'gnarly', quite specifically. I don't know if that's a catchphrase of his or whatever, but given what I've described, do you know him? I should like to find him and thank him for helping my friend. I owe him a drink, at the very least."
    Hive Whiskey turns out to be a burning experience. It's strong but unpleasant. Probably good for cleaning. After the first gulp the taste kind of disappears and the rest goes down easier. When it hits the gut it makes your churn for a couple of minutes but then the body starts relaxing and everything's ok again.

Outside the crowd is very receptive to you. A few people seem to recognize you and give you pats on the back.

One stormrat who's uncommonly large, almost tall as a human says
    You're talking about lemonheads, those that shave their heads. There's quite a few of them around. Rowdy boys.

Another ratfolk who's smaller and looks like they're suffering from some disease, they've lost a lot of fur and there's scars all over their where they've scratched themselves says
    Yeah, gnarly. It was me. Nice of you to remember me. I could really do with a strong drink. You can give me the coin, I'll save you the trouble of making a purchase.

Enilka has a small laugh.
    Spread the word that you'll buy lemonheads drinks and you'll have quite the party going on soon enough.

The first large rat continues
    Some of em are ok I suppose. They can be a bit too fond of humans though... if you know what I mean.

Enilka says
    Used to be they came here for krrf. Haven't seen any lemonheads for a few days though.

The sick rat keeps whining
    Uh, gimme a coin, why don't you. I saved you at the riot and all.

Another ratling says
    Ey, Voiceman. I could look around for the guy. Maybe there's a silver in it?

At this point Hep hears Caelin's voice from inside the bar.