New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 50 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Rise of the Runelords [The Skinsaw Murders] (IC)

Martin Bevuk

Martin hearing the sounds of combat fading pauses hesitantly, a hand reaching around in all directions for anyone or anything. "Who is there, did you win. My thanks to you all for saving me from whatever they would have done to me." He finds his feet and carefully listens out for any trouble and if none is present he'll drop to his knees rubbing at his eyes. "Once you have searched inside that dammned asylum I need to get back to the town to see Father Zantus and see if he can help me with my condition."
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

2. - Top - End - #422
    Colossus in the Playground

"Battle must have ended," says Draegra's voice next to Martin, and placing Martin's arm around his shoulder, "for I can understand you now, and expect you can do the same with my words."
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    ClasyCrow: On hiatus through 11MAY2024.

3. - Top - End - #423
    Ogre in the Playground

Looking down at the old man's body, Al sighs deeply, a mixture of relief that the battle is over, and bewilderment that it even began in the first place.

"I think we're in the clear," he calls out to others. "For now, at least. Gods know how many more patients that snake of a doctor is holding in there."

Stepping over the caster's body and heading towards where he figures the stairs ought to be, he gives either a clap on the shoulder or a nod to each of the others he passes on the way. Once out of the fog, he finds a place to set down his shield and spear and then takes out his waterskin. After splashing some water on his face and rinsing off his hands, he takes a moment to look over his wounds and to examine the two new holes in his breastplate courtesy of the giant bat.

"We should burn the dead," he says lowly but resolutely, clearly less than thrilled by the prospect of gathering more than half a dozen corpses, but nevertheless certain of the necessity of the task.
    Last edited by rypt; 2021-09-19 at 04:22 AM.

4. - Top - End - #424

The cloud will last several minutes total (5 min.).

There aren't any bodies related to the zombies destroyed. Mainly scorch marks on the deck and a type of wet ash.

There are two five bodies total ... Carizarlu, his raven, the bat-creature that you determine is a dire bat, and the two orderlies at the south end of the big room.

What now?
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

5. - Top - End - #425
    Ogre in the Playground

As he considers how best to manage the bodies and accessible portions of the sanitarium, Al is reminded of an earlier concern that has taken on new significance in light of recent events -- that is, the proximity of the sanitarium to the creek.

Recalling their keen eyes in their investigation of the mill, Al waves Zada over and asks if they would briefly accompany him to the south side of the building to check for any alternative passageway -- hidden or otherwise -- that might allow one to access the sanitarium from the creek or vice versa.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Perception check to aid another Zada's Perception check: (d20+3)[11]
    Survival check to aid another Zada's Survival check: (d20+4)[12]
    Last edited by rypt; 2021-09-20 at 10:50 PM.

6. - Top - End - #426

They don't notice anything like that.
    Show

7. - Top - End - #427
    Ogre in the Playground

Upon rejoining the group, Al suggests that someone remain here with Martin while the rest head inside. Some can search the already accessed portions of the sanitarium, while the others retrieve the bodies, which can themselves be searched and then burned once they've been brought outside.

Absent any volunteers, he suggests that he and Steingott manage the bodies, while Zada and either Norton or Draegra take a look around.
    Last edited by rypt; 2021-09-22 at 05:46 PM.

8. - Top - End - #428

Draegra wlll remain with Martin.

Zada is willing to take a look around.

That said, I need a specific list of who does what, and for those players to roger up, as compared to be volunTOLD.
    Show

9. - Top - End - #429
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Steingott claps his hands and rubs them together.

"I'll head inside. Going by that little skirmish we may need all the muscle we can spare in there."
    Last edited by TooterfishPopkn; 2021-09-24 at 12:24 AM.

10. - Top - End - #430
    Titan in the Playground

Martin Bevuk

Martin sags and sits on the grass, a hand on his axe, mainly for comfort. "If you have need to explore the building then head inside. It sounds quiet out here now and I should be fine in the short term, or maybe if one could stay out here to be my eyes and raise the alarm."

11. - Top - End - #431

"I am here with you, Martin," says Draegra.
    Show

12. - Top - End - #432
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Steingott thinks about how he might react if he lost his sight. He addresses the rest of the group:

"It might not be imperative we search the whole sanitarium, possible hidden areas and all. We could check the main area and the bodies for any clues we can get now, alert the local authorities and mark the sanitarium as a place of interest, get Martin to a priest, and rest our muscles before we go deeper into this mess."

"I do realize time may be of the essence and I'm willing to go back in with anyone that's ready. Just some food for thought. Martin's blind. That's a bit scary."

13. - Top - End - #433

Zada nods and says, "Honestly, yes. Let Dr. Habe cower in his hole. I have a feeling that what we fought was a completely whack-a-doo convenience. Yes, necromancer. Yes, undead. But it seems like this guy was more of an old crazy man with power protecting what he thought was a safe haven for experimentation. You see the knifework on those patients? And they were just zombies. No ghouls except for the poor bloke upstairs that we really came to see. I say we see if these orderlies are alive, and if so, take them with us ... and take the crazy ghoul-fever guy with us. Dr. Habe will either stay hidden here and get caught by the sheriff. Or, he'll scamper off. Either way, I don't see merit in tossing the asylum because we feel 'entitled.'

"We have a friend who is blind, and therefore in a scary, dark world. He should be our priority."
    Show

14. - Top - End - #434
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Norton nods. "We can leave the mess of this place to the Sheriffs office. Let's go take care of Martin's eyesight."
    Kitten: *bats around a mini a few times*
    DM: "Ok, it looks like Fluffy...err, 'The Tarrasque'...Full Attacks the Cleric"
    Cleric: "Full attack my a**, that was just two claw attacks!"
    Kitten: *starts gnawing on the mini*
    Cleric: "...nevermind."

15. - Top - End - #435
    Titan in the Playground

Martin Bevuk

Martin listens to the swirl of conversation around him with some relief before nodding. "My thanks all of you. When Father Zantus has restored my eyesight as I pray to the Gods he can I wil be happy to return and help delve deeper into it." He smiles around at them all, guessing where they are before reaching out an arm, "Once I'm recovered I will help you all save the town from this ghoulish threat."

16. - Top - End - #436

Quote Originally Posted by DrK View Post
    Martin ... guessing where they are before reaching out an arm...
    He's consistently wrong, though, so it looks like he's dog-paddling in the air.

Okay, Al ... Steingott? How do you feel about the above recommendations?
    Show

17. - Top - End - #437
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

"Yes. Get what info we can from the main floor and alert the sheriff. If we start letting our own fall there could be none of us left to solve this. Let's see the sheriff and get to that priest.

As far as the "battlefield" goes, I agree. Let's round up the orderlies and witness, and definitely pat down that necromancer."
    Last edited by TooterfishPopkn; 2021-09-26 at 05:44 PM.

18. - Top - End - #438
    Ogre in the Playground

Al knows a consensus when he sees one. "Yes, fine. But we should search the orderlies and the necromancer first. I expect at least one of them to have keys to the place that we may need to retrieve Grayst."

He will pick up his shield and spear, and store his waterskin in his pack, before heading inside.
    Last edited by rypt; 2021-09-27 at 11:16 AM.

19. - Top - End - #439

Of the two orderlies, one is still alive ... but comatose. The other one looks like he didn't die of his wounds, but rather seems like he was dessicated!

The party will not find keys on the bodies of the orderlies ... just padded armor and a padded club.

The old necromancer had a fine quality dagger, a few odd-looking sticks, a vial, and a set of keys. The party take the latter.

So, who is going to go upstairs to collect Grayst Sevilla?
    Show

20. - Top - End - #440
    Ogre in the Playground

Al moves near the steps (or near the doorway to the steps) before turning back to the others. "Who's coming with me?"

21. - Top - End - #441
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

"I'll head in."

Steingott walks over to join Al.

22. - Top - End - #442

Is Norton going up with them, or staying behind?
    Show

23. - Top - End - #443
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Norton will stay behind with Martin. More company for the blind man is always a good idea.
    Kitten: *bats around a mini a few times*
    DM: "Ok, it looks like Fluffy...err, 'The Tarrasque'...Full Attacks the Cleric"
    Cleric: "Full attack my a**, that was just two claw attacks!"
    Kitten: *starts gnawing on the mini*
    Cleric: "...nevermind."

24. - Top - End - #444

Alvor, followed by Steingott, go through the southeastern door and then up the stairs. At the top of the stairs, on southeastern corner of the building on the second floor, they get to a locked guardpost (no guards). Steingott probably has the keys to allow Alvor to have weapon and shield, and he finds the key that opens the door to then move into the main cellblock. From the looks of it, the central part of this room is sometimes used as a "common room" for the patients.

Several doors here, and once Alvor and Steingott enter this area, there is shrieking and hollering from behind some of those doors.

What now?
    Show

25. - Top - End - #445
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Keeping as much distance as he can between himself and the bars, Steingott peeks into each cell through the space in the bars.

Spoiler: Action
    Show
    He starts with the most southwest door and looks into each one going clockwise. When/if he see's Grayst he'll still take a look into all four. If he sees Grayst he'll let Alvor know which cell.

26. - Top - End - #446

Three of these cells are occupied. One is occupied by an obviously blind old man. Another is an even old man .... venerable even ... though suprisingly hale. And another is Grayst asleep on a gurney and tied down to it.

What now?
    Show

27. - Top - End - #447
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Steingott looks to Alvor.

"I've got eyes on Grayst. How do you want to get him back into town? I have rope, but that's about it as far as restraining him goes."

28. - Top - End - #448
    Ogre in the Playground

Al steps forward to get his own look into the cell. "I think our best bet may be to leave him tied to the gurney and just carry the gurney. It'll be easier to share the weight and we won't have to deal with him flopping around like a fish when he wakes up. That is unless you think you or one the others you can manage him on your own."

29. - Top - End - #449
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Steingott nods.

"Agreed. Lets keep him on the gurney. I don't want to have to mess with him unless we have to. We can all take turns carrying an end while we head back."

He gives the keys they recovered a couple shakes.

"Get ready. I'm going to start trying keys."

Spoiler: Action
    Show
    He starts trying keys until the lock turns.
    Last edited by TooterfishPopkn; 2021-09-30 at 10:30 PM.

30. - Top - End - #450

Harsk is on the gurney. He is strapped onto the gurney.

You find the keys, and open his cell.
    Show