New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Rise of the Runelords [The Skinsaw Murders] (IC)

Martin Bevuk

Entering the Inn Martin nods to a few of the regulars and taps gently on the thick slime covered glass. "Evening Norah.", reaching the bar he waves to Jargie, "Evening my friend, the usual please and whatever my friends are having,.. oh and top up Chod aye?" He raises his pint of amber ale when it arrives and nods to his brother happy to let him gossip with the older men.

Joining the other he nods, "So, I'm curious. We heard the stories aye, but what really happened in Thistletop? What did you find in the caves?"
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

Once they've found a place to sit, Alvor makes a point of stepping around to the far side of the table, taking a seat that allows him to put his back to the wall. It's possible that someone else may have been headed for the same seat, in which case he offers a quiet apology and mutters something about "old habits" before sitting down.

This isn't his first visit to the Hagfish, and those who have seen him here before may recall that he often drinks alone, and that they have never seen him participate in any of the activities that might relieve him of his coin. He has been challenged on a number of occasions and has refused each time. He has, however, made a few non-monetary wagers, including the one he lost just two nights ago with the local carpenter Danver Lauson.

Al orders a mug of ale and a glass of cheap whiskey and, for the moment at least, seems content to listen to the others.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Colossus in the Playground

All eyes seem to settle on Norton and Draegra after Martin's question.

Draegra shrugs and says, "I only really went down at the very end, and only as an outside consultant with an expertise in stonemasonry, traps, and a little bit of engineering. This," and with that he gives a hearty slap to Norton's shoulder, "is really the man you need to talk with."

All eyes now zero in on Norton. It might take him a second or two to realize that he would be giving the notes, not taking them.

In fact, as Martin wasn't trying to be conspiratorial or anything, there is a whisper that goes like wildfire, and then EVERY pair of eyes in the Hagfish is on Norton.

Zada also is at the yarning table and hears that one of the "Sandpoint Heroes" is about to tell their tale to the bar, and she looks back to see a surprised and possibly mystified Norton rubbing a shoulder.

The Hagfish, for once in its life, comes to a hush.

Norton, what do you do?
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2021-02-19 at 03:05 AM.
    20MAR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: The Worldwound (2013, Jacobs, Keith, et. al.).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    bcool999: On hiatus through 01APR2024.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Norton is shocked to be put at the center of attention all of a sudden. He hesitates a bit as he closes his book and clears his throat. "As I'm sure you all are aware, the original reason for entering Thistletop was to root out the goblins hiding within. I wasn't a part of the team from the beginning, so all I know about that time is hearsay, and I won't try to repeat it in hopes of not muddling it up. I joined the team alongside a young woman named Drea, and alongside Toros and Keghart Valdemar, Valbard the Velociraptor, Opal, Asher and an elven woman named Shalelu, we went back to continue their mission. At first much of our exploration was of uninhabited area, but for a few leftover goblins.

After encountering the goblins, who we chose to let leave, as they seemed harmless..."
    Norton takes a breath as he chooses to neglect mentioning the one. "We discovered a sturdy warrior who claimed to have previously worked for a woman who had hidden in Thistletop to do her own work. This woman, named Nualia, was the next big threat we had to deal with. See, we ran into her afoul of one of the worst traps I've ever seen. When it triggered, it caged its victim in on both sides, statues on either side came to life and attacked the victim, before finally dropping a pitfall beneath the victim, sealing him up in it. This was what caused us to lose one of our comrades, the Android Asher. After triggering the trap, the woman Nualia revealed herself, and hiding behind the relative safety of this trap, continued to wear us down with a combination of pets and magic, but eventually we won out. However, in addition to the death of an ally, we were emotionally and physically drained, and had to retreat to a safe place, but not before gaining a few prizes among her possessions, and even notes explaining all that she was doing there.

Now, this isn't the end of the story, and in fact, it's where things start to get a little weird. See, one night, there were six of us, as Shalelu had left us by this point, and the next morning, two of us were missing. Drea had returned to her home, traveling as if by magic, and Valbard had chosen to go with her, and her great aunt Leanyi joined us to help us finish her nieces quest. With her as part of our team, we continued further, but came across a hurdle that was nearly as nasty as the trap."
    He lowers his voice for a moment, as if to add dramatic tension. "Shadows." He returns to his normal voice after that. "While not entirely the most dangerous threat, they managed to do a number on enough members of our party that some of us struggled to even carry our own gear, and had to return home to get some restoration done on our strength. Once back to town, we chose to use this time to figure out how we could remove Asher from his pit home, which is how we ended up meeting up with Draegra here.

While he originally chose to come with us to visit Thistletop, which I was eager to allow as a fellow scholar, he carried his weight in helping us to bypass the trap and attempting to recover the body, although there was no body left to be found. With his help, we found our way to the final hurdle. Behind this final door, we discovered the biggest threat we had faced so far. A Greater Barghest. This thing, who I later learned was named Malfeshnikor, made quick work of Keghart, killing him before the man even had a chance to react to it. Meeting him definitely struck fear into us, as not only was he powerful, but he was also dangerously evasive. Even a perfect strike into him did absolutely nothing, and we tried to retreat. He seemed to have lived there for some time, and we were not prepared for a fight like that, so Opal and myself quickly tried to escape, followed by Draegra. Unfortunately, in the time it took to make the decision and call for a retreat, Toros and Leanyi had managed to get blocked in by the Barghest. We tried to urge them to escape, but they refused, urging us to escape while they bought time, as long as we promised to avenge them. Little did we know though, that the two of them, through sheer willpower and a level of grit that I will forever admire, would successfully take him down on their own. I regret leaving them for dead that day, but we can never know how it would have gone if we hadn't fled...."
    Norton goes on to explain the minor exploration afterwards with Draegra and Shalelu, knowing that all the exciting parts of the story have already been finished.
    Kitten: *bats around a mini a few times*
    DM: "Ok, it looks like Fluffy...err, 'The Tarrasque'...Full Attacks the Cleric"
    Cleric: "Full attack my a**, that was just two claw attacks!"
    Kitten: *starts gnawing on the mini*
    Cleric: "...nevermind."

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

Alvor's attention is initially focused on Norton, eying the young scholar over the top of his mug. As the man's tale takes one increasingly tragic turn after another, however, Alvor's attention shifts to the crowd. Uncertain as to how their expectations might compare to the truth of what transpired, he lowers his mug to the table and sits a little bit straighter in his seat as he watches and waits for their reaction.

6. - Top - End - #66

As can be expected, though Norton is a relatively likeable fellow, he doesn't have a clue how to "tell a story." It doesn't outright suck in the telling, but it .... wasn't very good. Patrons nod their head, and lift their glass courteously, and then go back to what they were doing.
    20MAR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: The Worldwound (2013, Jacobs, Keith, et. al.).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

Alvor audibly clears his throat in the moments following the conclusion of the tale. "It's good that you two made it out of there, but if you're planning to tell that one again, you might want to soften the edges a little bit." At that, he takes the rest of his whiskey in a single gulp and then gets up to order another.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ettin in the Playground

Zada nodded approvingly. Stories have power. The telling is an important part, but not the most important. A tale in and of themselves have a power to inspire, to terrify and to inspire. The telling is just the conduit for story to travel on. They will turn to the rest of the party now that Norton has finished his tale. "So, I guess that explains your story. What about the rest of you?"
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

Martin Bevuk

Martin listens quietly to Norton's tale and nods along. "Terrifying stuff my friend," he takes a long sip of the ale, "I've seen a fair few beasts in my time out on the roads and in the woods but ne'er something like that. Your a brave man." He says the last with a tilted salute of the pint glass. At Zada's query he shrugs. "Not much to tell my friend. I'm born and bred here in Sandpoint. Me and my brother Chod" he points across the bar to Chod, "We took on the family business after our parents passed and I spent some time as a caravan guard around Varisan. Not gone as far as the likes of you I'm sure" he adds, looking at Zada, Midori and Draegra's more exotic appearances, "But I learned how to handle myself in a fight."

Finishing his ale he looks round the table, "Another round? You wanting some stews, Jargie may look like a fat drunk but he runs a good kitchen."

10. - Top - End - #70
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Steingott wipes a tear.

"I can't believe you had to leave your friends for dead like that. I can't even imagine what that would feel like...and then to have to face them upon return."

Steingott sniffs and composes himself.

"I don't have a yarn like that quite yet, but it's my hope to collect a few. I've had nothing but good fortune my whole life. Back home in Janderhoff I'm a bit of a local celebrity in the prize fighting circuits. My family also ran a very successful mining operation and forge, bolstered by these strange abilities I have that allow me to control just about anything earthen. My sister had similar gifts and controls the flame.

My family accumulated a bit of wealth and I've retired early, traveling from town to town and trying to increase the quality of life for those less fortunate than I've been. I'm not sure why the gods chose to shine down on me like this, but I'm going to make sure it was deserved by crushing evil, fighting for justice, and bringing fortune to others. My uncle had a lead on a horse through a local stabler here in Sandpoint, so I decided to start here in my quest."

11. - Top - End - #71

"You've asked about others," says Draegra, prodding Zada, "but have said nothing of yourself."
    Show

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ettin in the Playground

Zada nodded. "True. I am Zada of the Stone Tales. I am of the Spire Clan, and I am a servant of Gozreh." They lift their holy symbol for the rest of the table to see. "I specialize in channeling old spirits, and remembering the old tales. I've been in a few scrapes as I used to work as a caravanner for a bit, but I'm better at patching up wounds than inflicting them. I'm in Sandpoint to visit an old friend, and I figure that this is as god a reason as any to help."

"Besides," they added a bit too excitedly, "the mystery is fascinating! Who is this lordship guy? Is he actually a noble, or does he just have delusions of grandeur? What does the rune mean? Why focus on Midori? I mean, she's fine if you're into that, but he's apparently obsessed for some reason. There's so much to piece together!"
    Last edited by digiman619; 2021-02-23 at 02:34 AM.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Steingott's eyes light up at the mention of the rune and he nods his head.

"Yes! The rune! Outside of the bodyguard having been present during the crime, it's the rune that stands out in my mind. I'm very interested into what Brodert might have to say about it. If we can't get through to the possible witness at the Sanitarium, the rune could be our most compelling lead."

Steingott drifts off for a moment as he goes over the clues and leads.

What is everyone's opinion on Ven Vinder and Ibor Thorn? I haven't been in Sandpoint long. Do any of you know anything about them? The Sheriff seems to think they're dead leads."
    Last edited by TooterfishPopkn; 2021-02-23 at 01:29 PM.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

Alvor returns with his drink to find the others discussing their pasts. Sitting and down and feeling expectant eyes turn his way, he sighs. "Well, I was a watchman out in Korvosa for a time, but my superiors and I didn't see things eye-to-eye." He stares into the center of the table as continues. "What's legal and what isn't; who gets arrested and who doesn't -- it's all backwards in that city. I left about a year and a half ago. Been working my way along the coast, selling my shield to whoever's hiring."

When Steingott later asks about Vinder and Thorn, Al shakes his head and replies with notably less enthusiasm, "Never met either of 'em."

15. - Top - End - #75

Everyone listening to Alvor hears a particular bitterness as Al says "... who gets arrested and who doesnt'."
    Show

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Norton looks back at the others, having finished his story. "A storyteller, I am not. I hope to not need to tell this story again." After talk of the rune comes up, Norton absentmindedly grabs the medallion he's hidden under his shirt now, still slightly perturbed by the connection.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

Martin Bevuk

Martin glances at the dwarf. "Ibor and Ven, aye. I agree with the sheriff. Ven is a boor but he's no a bad fellow. Ibor has run the mill for years. We found the undead tracks though, reckon folk at the mill just unlucky opposite that hide they used." Taking a another sip of the foamy beer he shrugs. "Neither of them smart enough to get involved with magic runes and undead types. We can see Broderik in the morn' before we walk to the madhouse."
    Last edited by DrK; 2021-02-24 at 06:20 AM.

18. - Top - End - #78

Any more RP at the Hagfish?
    Show

19. - Top - End - #79
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Steingott downs his last swallow of ale.

"I'm not much of a party animal. Bed-ways is right-ways, so best I head home-ways.

He looks to Martin.

That sounds good.

He addresses the table:

Is that the plan then? Meet at Brodert's in the morning before heading to the Sanitarium?"
    Last edited by TooterfishPopkn; 2021-02-24 at 01:02 PM.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ettin in the Playground

Zada will bid the rest of the party good night and return to their room in the White Deer.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

Alvor nods and grumbles his wordless agreement to the proposed plan. Though others may get up to leave, he stays for one last drink before turning in for the night.

22. - Top - End - #82

The party individually meets outside Brodert Quink's ancient building. There is a sign with no picture, which is backwards from most signs. It simply says "Sage" on the wooden board on both sides.

Draegra is there first to greet everyone.

What now?
    Show

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

Alvor arrives at Brodert's looking like he got dressed in a hurry. And finding only Draegra there before him, he seems the slightest bit irked by the wasted effort. His only greeting is a nod before he pulls a piece of bread from his pocket to finish his breakfast.

"You've met this man before?" he asks, recalling one of Norton's earlier remarks.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

Martin Bevuk

Martin wakes up tired. Beside him Hayliss lies propped up on a elbow watching him carefully. "You were tossing and turning all night. Is it true what people said of the mill?" she asks quietly. Martin, running a hand through his tangled beard rests the other on her shoulder and nods sadly. "Aye, it was a harrowing sight. I've seen some unpleasant things in the past and this was pretty rough." She hugs him softly and slides out the wide bed and pours them both water. "What now?"

Martin rises stretching out his muscular shoulders and looks at the bow and axe propped in the corner of the room. "Well, we'll go and see Brodert first thing, there was an odd rune at the mill, not something I know about then we'll be heading to the sanitorium. Hope that there be no trouble." Then he pauses thinking about the hide they had found and the undead watching people. "Look Hayliss love, if I ain't back by evening, don't be worried. But please head to your brothers, these ain't the nights to be on your own."

After a quiet breakfast he gives her a kiss then with bow slung on his shoulder and axe in hand heads through the bustling morning activity, nodding and smiling to the various folk he knew. Swinging by the Meat Market he heads into the back. "Aye Chod. I'll be out fer the day. Checking on what's occuring and heading to the mad house." , Chod nods, a grin a quick "Be sure they don't lock you in too eh?", then a more serious, "Take care eh. Its rough stuff yesterday." Martin nods and then heads out crossing the few streets to Brodert's.

As he arrives he spies Draegra and Alvor together and nods a greeting. "Morning folks, we waiting for the others then quizzing Brodert on that rune.". He glances at the clouds and the sky, "Not a bad day for a walk to the sanitorium."

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ettin in the Playground

Zada's day started much like the previous one, with prayer and remembering the old stories. They arrived at the sage's house, seeming unusually keen on learning from the man. Was it just an interest in the case, or is there something more? You don't know, but the fact remains that Zada is interested in meeting this expert.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Norton arrives in due time, after having prepared himself for the possible events of the day. He greets Draegra immediately. "Is he expecting us, or is he going to be cranky with me again?" He asks, remembering how annoyed that Brodert before.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Steingott makes his way to Brodert's whistling a cheerful tune.

"Mornin' all! I hope everyone slept well. I'm really hoping Brodert can shine some light on this rune."

He looks at the minimal sign that reads 'Sage'.

"So this is our guy? Huh. Do we just walk on in or give the door a knock?"

28. - Top - End - #88

Draegra, seeing everyon there (and waiting for everyone to arrive so as not to knock too early), raps on the door. "Don't expect friendliness, but I was apprenticed to him as a historian for a few months."

An old, balding, Varisian man steps out, a cat by his legs. He adjusts his spectacles. "Hrmph," he says wordlessly, looking at the seven armed (or at least obviously capable) people arrayed about, including his old apprentice and that annoying scholar Norton he's managed to avoid thus far.

"Well, Draegra, what is it? This have to do with the muders, no doubt?"

Draegra doesn't answer the latter, but holds up a drawn version of the seven-pointed star. "We were looking for insight into this."

"Well, my fee is 10 gp for a week, or any portion of it, for a single, simple answer. More if other expenses and effort are involved. You accept those terms?"

Draegra opens his own purse and puts 10 gp in his hand.

Brodert looks around, quietly judging each of you (and from the looks of it, not for the better). "Alright, you only check on me once a day. Never before 10 in the morning, never later than 6 in the evening. You don't ask searching questions, and I don't entertain you with stories. When I have the answer, I give it, and we're done. Acceptable?"

In this last, he doesn't seem to be talking or even asking Draegra, who was the one to foot the bill, but seems to recognize that the rest of you are in some way vested in his "client's" query.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #89
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Steingott laughs.

Ha! I like this one. Straight to the point! Reminds me of myself during my years in the mines. I accept your terms!"

He composes himself a bit and asks a little more seriously, "Does right now count as our one visit for the day or can we check back before 6?"

30. - Top - End - #90

Brodert cups his hands over the gold covetously and says emphatically with the faintest hiss, "Yess!" to which he goes back into shop, his kitty following, and slams the door.

Okay, gang. What now?
    Show