New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Default Re: Rise of the Runelords [The Skinsaw Murders] (IC)

Steingott stops clenching his stone covered fists and lets them rest at his sides, returning to flesh. His shoulders slump.

"Well gang. I'm what most would call a 'serial murderer enthusiast'. I'm not much in the way of an actual investigator. I might be more help extracting information from Ibor and the main suspect over investigating a crime scene if we were to choose to split up. Otherwise, I say we get to the mill as quickly as possible and put as many eyes on it as we can.

He looks specifically to the 'Heroes of Sandpoint', hoping these brave folk might lend their experience in Sandpoint in getting started.

What do you folks think?
    Last edited by TooterfishPopkn; 2021-02-12 at 09:41 PM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Alvor takes a quick look around the room to count heads. "So a bit more than 70 gold per person, assuming everyone pulls their weight -- well, and survives, I guess." He gives a satisfactory nod. "Sounds fair to me."

He allows a moment for others to share their thoughts before addressing Hemlock again. "Can you clarify something for me, Sheriff? That rune you mentioned, was it found on one of the barnhouse bodies, or on one of the sawmill bodies?"

Once the sheriff has answered, he continues, "And this bodyguard who lost his mind, you have any idea what exactly drove him over the edge. I mean, you hire a man for protection, you don't expect him to be broken by a bit of violence."

3. - Top - End - #33
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TooterfishPopkn View Post
    Steingott ..."...Otherwise, I say we get to the mill as quickly as possible and put as many eyes on it as we can."

He looks specifically to the 'Heroes of Sandpoint', hoping these brave folk might lend their experience in Sandpoint in getting started. "What do you folks think?"
    The blue-skinned man named Draegra simply nods and says, "Agreed. That is the most perishable site of fresh evidence right now."
    Quote Originally Posted by rypt View Post
    He allows a moment for others to share their thoughts before addressing Hemlock again. "Can you clarify something for me, Sheriff? That rune you mentioned, was it found on one of the barnhouse bodies, or on one of the sawmill bodies?"

"Bodies of both murder sites, actually."

Quote Originally Posted by rypt View Post
    Once the sheriff has answered, he continues, "And this bodyguard who lost his mind, you have any idea what exactly drove him over the edge. I mean, you hire a man for protection, you don't expect him to be broken by a bit of violence."

Sheriff Belor ruefully shakes his head.
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    bcool999: On hiatus through 17APR2024.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

Zada nodded. "Yeah, the mill seems like the most pressing of our leads. Once we deal with that, we can inspect the clues from the previous murder and search for similarities." They paused again, their face gave an impression of uncertainty. "One of you will probably want to handle the questioning, though. That... that's not my thing."
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Martin Bevuk

Martin runs a hand through the thick tangle of his beard. "2 murders already. Aye, good to keep that quiet. It'll bring up bad memories for a lot of people. It weren't good when Chopper was about back in the bad times. "

As he listens to the clues he nods and agrees with the strange blue skinned visitor to the town. "The mill sounds good. That and the guard seem the best places to start." As the mention of reward is mentioned Martin shakes his head, "No need for that sheriff, just come to meat market for your next garrison meal."

Looking around the room at the other deputies he nods, "I've not met all of you yet. I'm Martin, I'm a hunter, so hopefully we can find some tracks." Tapping his side's where his belt hangs empty he nods to the door. "I can show you to the lumber mill but will want to go to the shop first, I'll need my bow."
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Norton turns to the others. "Lets get going then. When we get there, I'll make a copy of the rune. If none of us can identify it, can you take it to Brodert and see if he knows, Draegra?" He keeps his gaze on Draegra as he does, knowing that Brodert has yet to warm up to him thus far. If any of the rest of you need to collect some equipment before we head out, I suggest you head out immediately. I will head there directly, I may not be completely ready for combat, but I'm still confident I can defend myself with what I've got. Those who are likewise ready can come with me, while the rest of you can meet up and travel together as soon as you're ready. Does anyone else have anything they want to add?" He addresses the rest of the party, hoping that his attempt at being a leader (as one of the remaining "Heroes of Sandpoint") doesn't bother anyone else.

Spoiler
    Show
    Norton has been in Sandpoint long enough to know where the mill is, right?
    Kitten: *bats around a mini a few times*
    DM: "Ok, it looks like Fluffy...err, 'The Tarrasque'...Full Attacks the Cleric"
    Cleric: "Full attack my a**, that was just two claw attacks!"
    Kitten: *starts gnawing on the mini*
    Cleric: "...nevermind."

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Alvor grunts approvingly at Norton's initiative. "I like this one," he says with an eye towards the tall human. "I'll collect my things and meet you at the mill."

He returns Martin's nod in kind and introduces himself as "Al" without any addition elaboration.

8. - Top - End - #38

Everyone scatters and rendezvouses at the mill after getting whatever they need (that they have on their sheet).

The Sandpoint Lumber Mill stands on the shore of the Turandarok River. A sizeable crowd has gathered outside by the time the PCs arrive, and groups of nervous-looking town guards stand at the mill’s entrances.
    Spoiler: Everyone EXCEPT Steingott
    Show
    The mill was working last night - Harker and Thorn, the two millers, often worked late into the night, which had become a bone of contention around town as the noisy mill and its infernally creaky log splitter kept neighbors awake.

The guards have already been informed by Sheriff Hemlock of his intent to deputize the PCs. The sheriff accompanied those who went directly to the mill. Once everyone gathers, the guards silently step aside to allow the PCs entry.

The mill is a well-built wooden structure with very thick walls. The roof is of wooden shingles, and doors are simple timber and unlocked. The mill machinery has been disengaged, but if it is started again everyone knows that it will be incredibly loud and distracting.

There are several points of interest as the PCs investigate the site. This will assume an initial cursory check, not a complete combing over every splinter in the place.
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    That is to say, the whole group working, looking, talking amongst themselves, and aiding as appropriate .... but not a Take 20. Also, please be advised that I do not normally allow T10 (Take 10) on Perception checks unless you have a special class ability.

It also assumes that nobody is going to play "I have a secret" from their colleagues.

The Timber Pier: Timber is delivered to the mill via a small pier that extends out into the Turandarok River.
    * Zada, with help mainly from Midori notes a set of muddy footprints that lead from one end of the pier up to the mill itself.
    * Zada, this time with help mainly from Martin note that a barefoot human man clambered up from the mud under the pier, crossed over to the mill, and then scaled the wall to an upper-floor window.

The Murder Scene: The mill interior is coated with sawdust strewn with footprints and splashes of blood.
    * Zada, Martin, and pretty much everyone can see what is obvious ... that a desperate struggle took place here several hours ago.
    ** What isn't so obvious except to Zada (again w/ Martin's assistance) is that one set of prints in particular is not only barefoot, but reeks of rotten meat. Harker’s body, Katrine’s body, a suspicious axe, and a lingering stench of rotten flesh constitute the primary clues here.

The Rotten Smell: The lingering scent of decay in the air is curious—it smells almost as if an animal had died somewhere in the room and its remains were allowed to ripen. This smell is strongest on the blade of the suspicious axe and a few of the footprints left behind.

Katrine's Body: The victim is one Katrine Vinder, daughter of local shopkeeper Ven Vinder. Poor Katrine was killed instantly when somebody pushed her into the log splitter. Her mangled, ruined remains lie on the mill’s lower floor amid heaps of bloodstained firewood. A pale-faced, obviously upset guard stands at attention nearby. The log splitter itself is powered by a waterwheel and consists of a chute in the floor with rotating saw blades that cut logs as they are fed in. While there are no clues among Katrine’s mangled remains, it still is a horrible fate delivered by the cruel efficiency of the log splitter as a deadly weapon—a scene that is likely to haunt some of your dreams as it will be hard to forget.

Harker's Body: The second victim is Banny Harker, the penny-pinching proprieter of the mill. Harker’s body has been horribly desecrated. The poor man has been affixed to the wall by several hooks normally used to hang machinery. The body is mutilated, the face carved away and lower jaw missing entirely. His bare chest is defaced as well, bearing a strange rune in the shape of a seven-pointed star. This rune is familiar especially to Norton and Draegra, and Norton wears the Sihedron medallion that was taken from Nualia's body. Its appearance on the chest of the murdered man seems ominous, yet the smartest among you are still at a loss as to what the rune acually means. Even knowing the name of the Norton's medallion - "Sihedron medallion" - meant little previously.
    * However, recent studies' held by Draegra and Norton, and then amplified by Norton's own manic desire to learn more along with his current veil setup allows him to drift into a semi-trance. Norton is able to identify the marking as the Sihedron Rune, an antiquated glyph that symbolizes arcane magic once practiced in ancient Thassilon.
    Spoiler: EVERYONE
    Show
    And that is it, nothing else. It is too easy with all the products that have zoomed around in the past 10+ years to have what is called "player luxury" when players almost have hammered in the sense of something .... kind of like silver hurting vampires. YOU DO NOT HAVE THAT, so please don't BS with ANY helpful inserts that you have not been expressly given.

This check was made with Draegra's historical savvy aiding Norton's amped arcane knowledge.

* Martin is in the lead this time, this time with Zada assisting him with much needed pointers, as they examine the body. There are several additional wounds. Unlike the deeper slashes on the body, these smaller gashes almost seem to have been made by claws—claws on a five-fingered, human-sized hand. The rotten scent seems stronger near these wounds. The body is only recognizable as Harker’s by a faded tattoo of a raven across his lower abdomen.

The Suspicious Axe: A handaxe is embedded in the floor near the log splitter, as if it had been dropped there. The handle is covered with bloody finger-marks, and a close examination of the head reveals two things of note. First, smears of what look like rotten flesh and fragments of bone are caked on its blade, and second, the rotten meat stink is strong on it.
    * As Zada's and Martin's skill are pretty stout at determining signs of passage, they both examine the blade closely. Both of them have a gag reflex the smell is so bad, but they are able to muddle through. It is well beyond Martin's professional butchery skills to identify. Zada might pass it around, for it reminds her of ... something ... but she can't quite put a finger on it. When it gets to Norton, he and Zada discuss the smell together, and he confirms Zada's suspicion .... that the lingering stink of corruption is beyond that which a dead body can normally produce. The axe was likely used within the last 24 hours against some form of corporeal dead. Given the level of smell and his own background and Zada's and Martin's input, Norton is able to deduce that the scent likely came from a "ghast's" flesh.
    Spoiler: ALCON
    Show
    And THAT is what you know, not ... "Oh, a ghast! Can I get a Knowledge...?" The result includes the group's input for now.

So, those are all the clues and deductions that the group made within the site of the Sandpoint Lumber Mill itself.

Are there any other recommendations or intentions for this site?
    Spoiler: ALCON
    Show
    Please note I said "this site," not .... everyone recommend what next site to go to. I want to make sure everybody feels comfortable having gotten whatever information might be gleaned from this area. If you have nothing else, please note as such IC or in Discord.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2021-02-14 at 02:47 AM.
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Martin Bevuk

Meeting the others by the mill on the edge of the mill pond Martin nods to a couple of the guards he recognises and raises a hand to Larz who runs the tannery that lies just up river of the mill. He likes the tanner, a good place to sell the furs and hides of what he hunts. Heading into the mill, the sights and smells leave Martin pale and sweaty. Standing looking at the blood splattered log splitter he glances at the grizzled Alvor, "Seen a lot of things out on the roads but not seen 'owt like that. Poor Katrine. I ain't a fan of Ven but he doesn't deserve to lose one his girls like that."

Shaking his head sadly and offering a prayer to Desna he continues to help Zada investigate. As he paces down the pier following the tracks he nods to Tanner's bridge that stands at the top of the mill pond cutting to the other bank. "What you think about if I take a look on the far side of the pond? Looks like whatever did this crossed the pond, mayhaps I can pick up tis trail on the far side?"

Spoiler: Tracking check
    Show

If needed Survival [tracking] (1d20+11)[20] - or ignore if you make the roll Lostsole31

Aside from checking the far side of the pond he stays with the rest of the deputies shaking his undead its revealed the likley creature was undead. Glancing at Midori and Zada he shrugs in worry, "Not had much truck with the undead, but heard plenty of tales from other caravan guards. Anything we 'ought be worried about." Then pointing towards the road, "You thinking we should head to the see that guard next? Can get going while the light is good. I don't reckon we'll get much from Ven, as he's alive and kicking and don't see him killing his girl."

10. - Top - End - #40

Zada, do you slog across to the marsh on the other side of the Turandurok River to look for tracks with Martin? If not, anyone else?
    Show

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ettin in the Playground

Zada did their best to not get ill; they'd known this would get bad, but the degree of brutality here was more than they were prepared for. Still, the evidence they were able to collect allowed Zada to make a rough sketch about what happened, which they share with the rest of the party:

A group of undead, one of which was a ghast (led?), came from across the river to the mill. There was a fight and someone (probably Harker) fought them off with the axe, but was eventually overpowered and killed. After he died, they desecrated his corpse and strung him up to be found later. How Katrine got to the log splitter and when isn't clear, but since there weren't any screams reported, it's likely that she was killed quickly or was unconscious when she hit the blade. The axe was also likely staged. Adding what they know of the note, it's clear that this was an intentional attack and not something that was added after the fact. Whoever this "lordship" was, he controlled the undead to do this to send a message, though it's not clear if he was physically present for the attack.

Unless anyone else has something else they want to do here, Zada is up for a quick reconnoiter or tracks across the pond.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

After the others have gone over the crime scene, Steingott begins going over the ground very carefully. He he follows the muddy tracks over to the pier and stretches his arms out, grasping out towards the air as if he were going through an invisible wardrobe.

"You all seem to have this figured out, but it never hurts to try. There might be something in the mud we can't easily see."

Spoiler
    Show
    Steingott uses Basic Geokinesis to sift (as the spell) through the mud around the tracks and pier. I would also like to do this at the mill provided it's an exposed earthen floor and not wooden like the roof and walls.
    Last edited by TooterfishPopkn; 2021-02-14 at 06:08 PM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Norton is surprised early once he realizes the rune matches the one on his medallion. He has nothing else to add to the search on this site, but he does tuck his medallion under his shirt. If the knowledge of the rune got out to the general population, that would risk making him a suspect for having it on his gear.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Though Alvor cannot help but cough when the foul air first reaches his lungs, he appears to have a certain tolerance for bloodshed, and does not shy away from the gruesome scenes before him. He briefly closes his eyes when he first catches sight of Katrine's remains, but accompanied by a slight bowing of his head, the gesture seems more a silent expression of compassion than any effort to escape the horrifying reality of what transpired here.

"Aye," he says grimly to Martin. "This is a first. Can only hope her end came quickly." He turns an eye towards Harker. "His certainly did not."

Finding the hunter and Zada together, seemingly two of the most keen-eyed among them, he asks, "We have tracks coming in, but nothing on the way out?"
    Last edited by rypt; 2021-02-14 at 08:35 PM.

15. - Top - End - #45

So Martin is able to cross a footpath in bridge and go around, but the marsh on the other side is dark and has no light source.

Martin is able to borrow a torch from one of the sheriff's guards standing around and go back with light this time. It isn't easy to see, but he does manage to spot a relatively dry spot that bears a number of barefoot human tracks and lingering stink of rotten flesh.

The tracks lead away from the river, but never away from the site. The spot is hidden by several low banks of nettles, but offers a perfect view of the mill to anyone hidden there.

He will find no other tracks or clues on the other side, nor any ingress/egress tracks. Just what I've described ... bringing Martin back to the Mill with the group to share what he found, and giving the torch back to the guard.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Martin Bevuk

Martin rejoins the others after scouring the ground for tracks and shakes his head. "No luck, Desna doesn't smile on me today." pointing to the banks of nettles on the far side of the mill pond he explains, "Tracks go to a little vantage point with a good view. Makes me shiver to think of some sort of undead beast watching the mill... Feels more sinister than just a random beast raid."

At Alvor's comment in the Mill he'd nodded. "Messy aye, but least she wouldn't have suffered. Won't help Ven make his-self feel better but at least it were quick on her path to Pharasma."

He taps his axe and bow to comfort himself before nodding to the others, "You folks happy to press on the Sanitarium? See this crazy guard."
    Last edited by DrK; 2021-02-15 at 08:55 AM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Steingott looks a little embarrassed having just tried to show off and coming up with nothing.

"Heh...I guess that was a bit much. Looks like there's not much else to see here.

He looks to Martin.

"I agree, good sir. Best to continue on and get to the Sanitarium.

18. - Top - End - #48

Remember that you went to the meeting with Sheriff Hemlock at sunset. Had the briefing. Went home to grab stuff (a lot of you) or waited for others to come from getting their stuff. Did a major clues check of a crime scene.

It is now around nine in the evening, just so folks understand current setting.

So, it's a bit for a stroll to the Sanitarium....
    Show

19. - Top - End - #49
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

"That is...maybe after a good nights sleep. It's getting late and we should probably come back to this with rested minds. Not that I personally need the sleep. I'm super tough. But maybe others do? Heh."
    Last edited by TooterfishPopkn; 2021-02-16 at 02:28 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

Martin Bevuk

Martin grins at the dwarf, looking up at the stars he shakes his head. "it ain't far and I's know the way. We can grab some lights and head there and get this ball rolling. I don't like the thought of more of these undead lurking nearby, I'd sooner speak with the madman and then get back ready to sort this nonsense out come the morning"

He looks about, clearly open to other suggestions.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

While Martin and Zada are investigating the far side of the river, Alvor finds a moment to approach Norton not far from Katrine's remains.

"Any idea what might have brought her out here? A working sawmill hardly seems like a place for a young girl."

At the prospect of heading directly to the sanitarium, Al frowns, seeming conflicted. "Much as I'd like to get it done right away, I don't think there's a ghost of a chance we'll be able to see our man tonight. He's likely asleep, if not drugged, and getting him up is sure to raise more of a fuss than the Sheriff would appreciate."

22. - Top - End - #52

"And if we are dealing with undead," says Draegra. "This isn't an invasion, but carefully spaced murders. Still, let's not roam around at night when the undead have the advantage, only to knock on the door of the sanitarum and make everyone unhappy, but when it is less of an issue. There is a crowd here, and a lot of eyes on us."
    Show

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

Martin Bevuk

Listening to the suggestions Martin nods, "Aye, fair enough. The guard may be out for the night. So.. he glances around with a grin.

"Who fancies a jar at the Hagfish? You can see Norah herself."

24. - Top - End - #54

"I'm for that," says Draegra, "I mean, if we are going to be working together, it might be good to get to know each other."

Draegra looks to Norton, "Coming?"
    Show

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ettin in the Playground

Zada nodded. "I mean, I can handle some undead, but, yeah, it's not wise to barge headfirst into their lair in the middle of the night." Zada then followed Martin, as a drink in a well lit pub seems like a much more sensible thing to be doing right now.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Steingott nods.

"The Hagfish sounds great. I haven't experienced the Sandpoint night life since I've been in town."

27. - Top - End - #57

THE HAGFISH

One of Sandpoint’s most popular taverns, especially among fishermen and gamblers, the Hagfish is also Sandpoint’s best bet for a good old-fashioned seafood meal. Owned by a gregarious one-legged man named JARGIE QUINN (male human), the Hagfish gets its name from the large glass aquarium that sits behind the bar, the home of a repellent Varisian hagfish that Jargie affectionately calls Norah (despite the fact that he’s had “Norah” replaced dozens of times—Varisian hagfish don’t live all that long in Quinn’s aquarium). Hanging from a nail next to Norah’s tank is a leather pouch bulging with coins: prize money for anyone who can drink down a single tankard of “water” scooped from Norah’s tank. It costs a single silver coin to try, but the trick is that, since she’s a hagfish, the water in Norah’s tank is thick and horrifically slimy and foultasting. Few can stomach the stuff, but those who do get to keep however many coins have accumulated in the pouch, and then get to carve their names in the ceiling beam above the bar. To date, there are only 28 names carved there, and the Hagfish has been in business for nearly 10 years.

Martin, a regular, has yet to win the bag of coins (and just as likely that he may have never tried .... Martin?). Martin's brother Chod - relaxing here this evening - has tried many times and failed.

But there’s certainly more to this tavern than Norah. Jargie’s game tables are always well attended, with games ranging from cards to checkers to dice to darts. Tall tales are a favorite pastime here, with one popular game called “yarning” involving seeing how long a local can string along an impromptu fable without contradicting himself. The most popular subject of these tales is traditionally Old Murdermaw, a legendary giant red snapper that might or might not dwell in the depths of the Varisian Gulf. Jargie himself is quite an accomplished yarner, with the ever-changing story of how he lost his leg being his favorite starting point for his tales.

Show

28. - Top - End - #58
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Steingott is immediately drawn to the aquarium and reads the sign next to the pouch. He taps the bottom of the pouch to get an idea of how much coin has been accumulated by this point.

"Reeeeeelly? Huh."

He grabs a seat at the bar and waits for the bartender. Once they arrive Steingott asks, "Are you the owner? What exactly is the deal with the Hagfish tank? What happens to the poor saps that fail?"
    Last edited by TooterfishPopkn; 2021-02-18 at 12:53 PM.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground

Zada makes their way to the yarning table. Zada knew all sorts of old stories that might work there.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Norton had readily agreed to join, but did mention that he won't be drinking much. Hangovers suck, and he doesn't like them much.

Norton will take a seat with the rest of the group, and pull out his journal to start jotting some notes into it.