New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Rise of the Runelords [The Skinsaw Murders] (IC)

Quote Originally Posted by rypt View Post
    Alvor nods to Draegra then looks to Martin and Steingott. "Still want to walk the river tonight? I'm willing if you are."
    Martin Bevuk

Martin listens and nods. "Aye, it sounds good. The poor lass just seems to be wrong place wrong time. Best start some patrols to ward off these undead skulking about." He taps the bow and looks at the dwarf, "What you think, out the north gate, then walk down the river and swing by the manors and in the south gate? Couple laps.
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

2. - Top - End - #182
    Colossus in the Playground

Tonight is the brightest of the nights of the full moon of the month of Neth, called the Black Moon. Near-freezing and drizzling is enough to account for less of a patrol and more of a cursory sweep by those that go, though that is not the whole group.

Night ends.

SUNDAY, 25 NETH 4707 AR (LAST NIGHT OF THE FULL MOON)

Today is a holy day for most, so the party meets together at the Sandpoint Garrison (because you never really defined) about an hour after noon, to make sure everyone spent what extra time was needed for personal religious/ spiritual/ devotional activities.

Per plan, the party traipses out to Habe's Auditorium.

Draegra hands the note to Alvor, recommending Alvor try to sway Habe today. If nothing else, maybe the fact that it is a Sunday will be a weak argument point that Habe shouldn't be that busy.

The bell is run, and Habe again comes to the desk shaking his palms at the two members of the group that could squeeze into the front reception area. "Please, sirs, I am busy and understaffed!"

Alvor, what do you do?
    20MAR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: The Worldwound (2013, Jacobs, Keith, et. al.).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    bcool999: On hiatus through 01APR2024.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ogre in the Playground

Before pulling the cord, Al takes a deep, steadying breath, a brief and surely imperfect effort to set aside his earlier impression of the doctor and give the man an opportunity to prove himself as something other than what Al perceived him to be the day before.

"Dr. Habe, I take it?" He steps forward and offers Hemlock's letter. "From the sheriff. We understand that you're busy, but it's important that we speak with one of your patients. We wouldn't need long. Maybe twenty minutes, thirty at the most. And the sooner it can happen, the sooner we can leave you to your work."
    Last edited by rypt; 2021-04-14 at 01:18 PM.

4. - Top - End - #184

"Alright, let's get this over with," he says. "Otherwise, you'll disturb my work every day until the next Swallowtail Festival.

"I will let you interview my patient Grayst, but only for a few minutes. Just the two of you, right?" he looks nervously at the armed contingent on his front door. "I am not having a whole filthy band of mercenaries slumming in my sanatorium. It's drizzling, so they can join you in the reception room. In the meantime, you will need to hand off that big polearm to your friends staying behind, and either do the same with your shields or put them up. They are weapons. No weapons are to be drawn at any time, and if attacked by someone orderlies - not you - are to take care of it. Just withdraw as best as possible. No spells are to be cast. None ... no, not that one .... not that one either. No spells.

"So, the two of you ... weapons stowed or handed off when they can't be stowed ..... and no spells. Is that acceptable, or am I sending you back out in the freezing Neth drizzle?"
    20MAR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: The Worldwound (2013, Jacobs, Keith, et. al.).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground

Al does not hesitate to answer. "That is acceptable." As he turns to step outside, he glances to Draegra, sharing a look that suggests he was expecting more resistance. Handing his spear, shield and bow to the others waiting on the veranda, he says, "He's agreed to give Dreagra and I a few minutes to question Grayst. We'll try to make 'em count. Gotta leave these here though."

Once the samsaran has likewise stowed or unloaded his weapons, Al nods to the doctor. "No weapons, no spells," he says, affirming the terms of their visit.

6. - Top - End - #186

Draegra, whose shield wasn't out anyway, doesn't hand anything over and goes with Alvor to the waiting area directed to inside.

So, this is less of a reception area, and more of a Workroom, that Dr. Habe unlocks before admitting entrance, and then locking once the three of you are inside. This is a little-used area that serves as a combination kitchen and sewing area. It is an otherwise very large area, taking up most of the first floor. There are two doors in here to the south.

"Please wait here," he says, before going to two orderlies here and ordering them to go upstairs and gather Grayst to bring him down to meet guests.

The two orderlies leave, leaving you here with the doctor, who doesn't try to engage you in any conversation.

A few minutes later, the orderlies bring a man down dressed in very strange clothing that is extremely restrictive to movement that Alvor has never seen before.

"And, here we are. This is Grayst, gentlemen."

Grayst's skin is pale and looks gangrenous, his hair wild and his eyes milky white. Unfortunately, neither Al nor Draegra have any medical training, lacking any understanding of Grayst's affliction.

Alvor, what do you do/ say?
    Show

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ogre in the Playground

Hemlock's description of Grayst had led Alvor to believe that he would be questioning a man of otherwise sound physical health in the throws of some sort of psychological episode. But the man across from him now appears to be decomposing before his very eyes, and for a moment, Al seems unsure if he should be addressing his first question to the patient or to the doctor.

"Grayst Sevilla?" He finally asks somewhat hesitantly, shifting his head sideways as he speaks to see if Grayst's clouded eyes track the motion. He does not immediately follow up with another question, but instead tries to get a sense of the man's faculties based on his response.

In the event there is no response whatsoever, Al tries a slightly different angle. "Hired muscle for Tarch Mortwell, Lener Hask, and Gedwin Tabe?"
    Last edited by rypt; 2021-04-16 at 11:12 PM.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Titan in the Playground

Martin Bevuk

Martin walks happily back to the sanitarium spinning the bow happily. As they get there and Habe issues his demand he hops up and perches on the rail of the balcony. ”Have fun with the crazies my friends, I can keep watch with Steingott, if we hear any screaming we’ll come a running “

9. - Top - End - #189

Grayst does come out of his semi-insensate fit to speak fitfully to Alvor. Unfortunately, he has little to say apart from incoherent mumblings about "razors" and "too many teeth" and how "the Skinsaw Man is coming."

Draegra tries to get Grayst's attention then, but when he does, Grayst's eyes bulge when he sees the blue-skinned man, and Grayst is shocked into some moment of semi-lucidity. “He said. He said you would visit me. His Lordship. The one that unmade me said so. He has a place for you. A precious place. I’m so jealous. He has a message for you. He made me remember it. I hope I haven’t forgotten. The master wouldn’t approve if I forgot. Let me see… let… me… see…”

His eyes roll back into his head as he goes into some kid of trance, his voice becoming very strange...

“He said you should come to the Misgivings soon, to meet the Pack, for they have something wonderful to show you.”

At the climax of his speech, the message delivered, Grayst collapses and issues a low moan. One round later, his moan rises to a shriek, and as he lurches to his feet, his arms tear free of the old straitjacket. He lunges at Draegra, eager to kill the one whom his “master” loves more than him. The orderlies do their best to get Habe to safety before they step in to help, but anyone who tries to protect the targeted PC might be assaulted by the diseased man as well.

Round One ...

R1T20: The crazed man steps forward, chambers and then elbows Draegra's own elbow for 8 ... a powerful blow, indeed.

R1T15: Alvor, what do you do?
    Show

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ogre in the Playground

Alvor curses as Grayst breaks free of his jacket and lunges towards Draegra. "Doctor!?" He calls out, thinking this can't possibly be what Habe had in mind when he contemplated a possible attack. With the orderlies closing in to hopefully get the crazed man under control, Al, for the time being at least, is willing to abide by his agreement not to use a weapon. Lowering his shoulder, Al attempts to disorient Grayst by driving him back against the wall.

Spoiler: Combat Actions
    Show
    At the beginning of the round, Al uses Tactical Flanker to designate the space to his SE as being occupied for the purposes of flanking.

Swift Action: Activate Gatecrasher's Gambit to grant +2 luck bonus to next bull rush attempt.

Standard Action: Initiate Shoulder Rush, making a bull rush attempt with a +4 circumstance bonus.
    Bull rush (+7 base CMB, +2 Powerful Maneuvers, +2 luck bonus, +4 circumstance bonus): (d20+15)[23]
    Al will move with this bull rush if successful. Additionally, if the bull rush is successful, Gatecrasher's Gambit imposes a -4 penalty on all of Grayst's d20 rolls for 1 round.

The first time that Draegra, the orderlies, or Habe is attacked before Alvor's next turn, he will use his immediate action to initiate Warning Roar to attempt to negate the attack.
    Diplomacy: (d20+11)[31]

11. - Top - End - #191

R1T15: Alvor curses as Grayst breaks free of his jacket and lunges towards Draegra. "Doctor!?" He calls out, thinking this can't possibly be what Habe had in mind when he contemplated a possible attack. With the orderlies closing in to hopefully get the crazed man under control, Al, for the time being at least, is willing to abide by his agreement not to use a weapon. Lowering his shoulder, Al attempts to disorient Grayst by driving him back against the wall. Grayst isn't disoriented, but he does get driven back.

R1T12: Draegra steps back a little, and casts a spell, asking that the Godclaw undo what chaos has done (5 healing). He looks to the caretaker. "Doctor Habe, have your orderlies keep back from his man, for he is beyond them. Then go and unlock the northern door that our allies may assist."

He then shouts as loud as he can, "Battle Underway. Nonlethal!"

The two orderlies don't even wait for the order to be passed as they step back. Dr. Habe goes to the northern door and takes out the keys.

End of Round One ... TO THOSE STANDING OUTSIDE: You may have heard screaming inside, and that might spook some, but this is an asylum for the insane, so that is more about a few seconds of confusion. That confusion is quickly dispelled when you do hear Draegra's shout that there is a battle, but it is (or is to be kept, you aren't quite sure) nonlethal.

Begin Round 2 ...

R2T23:
    Norton, you wisely were sure to have Destroyer McGee back in your satchel when you got to the sanatorium, though I do assume on the long walk here you let him stretch his legs again. What do you do?

Grayst on deck ...
    Show

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Norton will crouch down and call out to his familiar to return to him, but won't otherwise leap into action. He moves away from the door to let others go in. "Sorry, but a nonlethal battle is not one that I will be very effective in. Magic, you know."

Spoiler
    Show
    Norton will delay potentially indefinitely. But definitely this round.
    Kitten: *bats around a mini a few times*
    DM: "Ok, it looks like Fluffy...err, 'The Tarrasque'...Full Attacks the Cleric"
    Cleric: "Full attack my a**, that was just two claw attacks!"
    Kitten: *starts gnawing on the mini*
    Cleric: "...nevermind."

13. - Top - End - #193

R2T23: Norton crouches down and looks to his familiar in his familiar's satchel to calm him, but he otherwise doesn't leap into action. He moves away from the door to let others go in. "Sorry, but a nonlethal battle is not one that I will be very effective in. Magic, you know."

R2T20: Inside, Grayst swings at Draegra, but even though Draegra gets into a trained boxing position, Alvor shouts loudly, throwing off Grayst's swing.

R2T19: Zada senses that Granite is alert to danger.

R2T15: Alvor, what do you do? You do see that Draegra is quite "armed" as he is in an obvious fist-fighting pose.
    Show

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ogre in the Playground

"Someone grab my shield!" Al calls towards the open door.

He isn't much of a fist-fighter himself, but seeing Draegra with his hands up, the former watchman slides to his left and tries to grab at Grayst's arms in the hopes of making him an easier target for the samsaran.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Move action: Adopt the indomitable tactical presence.

Free action: 5-ft. step to the south.

Standard action: Aid another to grant Draegra a +2 bonus to his next attack.
    Attack vs. AC 10: (d20+7)[18]

15. - Top - End - #195

R2T15: "Someone grab my shield!" Al calls towards the open door.

He isn't much of a fist-fighter himself, but seeing Draegra with his hands up, the former watchman slides to his left and tries to grab at Grayst's arms in the hopes of making him an easier target for the samsaran.

R2T14: Steingott, you heard that! What do you do?
    Show

16. - Top - End - #196
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Steingott rushes towards the south wall of the porch and picks up Alvor's shield.

17. - Top - End - #197

R2T14: Steingott rushes towards the south wall of the porch and picks up Alvor's shield.

R2T13: Zada, what do you do? The door to A2 is 2 squares to your east and currently closed.

Draegra on deck, Martin in the hole ...
    Show

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ettin in the Playground

Zada quickly made their way to the door, wrenching it open before stepping inside; their teammates were in danger, and their spirit would not let that stand.
    Show
    I think that it'll take me 2 move actions to get the door open, so I can't really rush in just yet, but I'm working on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

19. - Top - End - #199

R2T13: Zada quickly made their way to the door, wrenching it open; their teammates were in danger, and their spirit would not let that stand.

R2T12: Draegra sees Alvor's efforts, steps towards the wall, and takes advantage of the grizzled warrior's help as then expertly grapples Grayst.

R2T10: Martin, Zada has opened the front door. What do you do?

Norton on deck, Grayst in the hole ...
    Show

20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground

Martin Bevuk

Martin looks up as the sounds of fighting and shouting begins, "I was only joking about them shouting for trouble" he mitters and as he bounds up the stairs and barrels into the room, knuckles raised and ready for trouble! As he bursts into the room and see's the strange man he stumbles slightly "What by the gods is wrong with him"

Show

Full: Double move into the room ~10ft from Grayst
    Swift: Enter Pugilist's stance

21. - Top - End - #201

R2T10: Martin looks up as the sounds of fighting and shouting begins. "I was only joking about them shouting for trouble" he mutters and as he bounds up the stairs and barrels into the reception area knuckles raised and ready for trouble! Unfortunately, there is no trouble in this room, and Martin hears the sounds of trouble on the other side of the door to the south.

R2T8: Norton feels that comforting, high-speed rabbit-foot-thump from the familiar satchel that tells him that Destroyer McGee, Berserker Bloodhare of the Hinterlands is ready for action!

End Round 2: Dr. Habe unlocks and then opens the door, facing Martin as he does so. He calls out, "No weapons! Please! He doesn't know what he's doing!"

Begin Round 3 ...

R3T23:
    Norton, what do you do?

Grayst on deck, Alvor in the hole ...
    Show

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Norton continues to just watch the others, staying out of this fight entirely.

Spoiler
    Show
    Continue to delay.
    Kitten: *bats around a mini a few times*
    DM: "Ok, it looks like Fluffy...err, 'The Tarrasque'...Full Attacks the Cleric"
    Cleric: "Full attack my a**, that was just two claw attacks!"
    Kitten: *starts gnawing on the mini*
    Cleric: "...nevermind."

23. - Top - End - #203

R3T23: Norton continues to just watch the others, staying out of this fight entirely.

R3T20: Grayst flails around in Draegra's arms, but can't get out.

R3T15: Alvor, what do you do?

Steingott on deck, Zada in the hole, Norton delaying ...
    Show

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ogre in the Playground

Seeing Dreagra take hold of the madman, Al immediately moves to help him get Grayst under control.

Between grunts and growls of effort, he calls back to the orderlies, "Manacles!"

Spoiler: Combat Actions
    Show
    Standard action: Al will use the aid another action to assist the grapple, granting Draegra a +2 bonus to his next check.
    Last edited by rypt; 2021-04-25 at 09:27 AM.

25. - Top - End - #205

R3T15: Seeing Dreagra take hold of the madman, Al immediately moves to help him get Grayst under control. Between grunts and growls of effort, he calls back to the orderlies, "Manacles!"

R3T14: Steingott, what do you do?

Zada on deck, Draegra in the hole ...
    Show

26. - Top - End - #206
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

With Alvor's shield in hand, Steingott makes his way into the building and heads towards Alvor.
    Last edited by TooterfishPopkn; 2021-04-25 at 06:59 PM.

27. - Top - End - #207

R3T14: With Alvor's shield in hand, Steingott makes his way into the building and heads towards Alvor.

R3T13: Zada? What do you do?

Draegra on hand, Marin in the hole ...
    Show

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ettin in the Playground

Zada rushed inside, following the sound of the commotion.
    Show
    If I can get close enough to the turning guy to see him in one move action, I'll summon my mind blade. If not, double move towards the guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

29. - Top - End - #209

R3T13: Zada rushed inside, following the sound of commotion. As she moves, she does see a guy being wrestled (she thinks by Draegra, but that is harder to see). It is a wild man but at this distance not to be mistaken for anything beyond a habitant of an asylum. Still, she cautiously brings forth a blade of pure psionic force, electricity crackling up and down its length.

Dr. Habe screams when he sees the psychic sword in Zada's hand.

R3T12: Draegra expertly pins Grayst. "Quick, tie him up!"

R3T10: Martin, what do you do?

Orderlies and Habe on deck ...
    Show

30. - Top - End - #210
    Titan in the Playground

Martin Bevuk

Martin skids to a halt then glances around the man in front of him, "Let me past you fool" he snarls and pushes roughly past heading south towards the sounds of struggle and Draegra's voice. "Shout out of you need help, we are a coming" plunging forward he makes his best speed towards the sturggle

Show

Full: Double move towards the sounds of struggles