New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

annoyed OOTS #1225 - The Discussion Thread

New comic is up.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1225 - The Discussion Thread

Happened to be inexplicably still awake, lucky me. Looks like those of us who suspected the final panel of #1224 suggested a scene transition were right.

Of course, lots to speculate on the identity of the hooded individual. Maybe this is the unlikely ally!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

The cloaked figure's arm looks short in relation to their height. Could it be two kobolds in a trench coat?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Link for easy future navigation.

The figure at the cauldron looks tall, but the arm looks relatively short. Halfling on a stepladder? Although, looking more closely, the fingers seem to be an olive green color. I dunno.

Edit: Too slow on the arm observation.
    Last edited by Yxylu; 2021-02-08 at 08:14 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Maybe one of the IFCC?
    Edit: Hmmm, cloak's the wrong colour.
    Last edited by carborundum; 2021-02-08 at 08:16 AM. Reason: Changed mind

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

well, this is unexpected... i come to read reactions and virtually no one has reacted yet. hmmm... no one is yet ready after superb owl sunday to make commentaires.
    It's "locksmith of LOVE!" not "LO!"

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

The dartboard is a nice touch, as are the darts sticking in the wall, nowhere near the board. I thought the kids' drawings on the wall near it were cute. Which might explain the tone of the second member of the Invisible Duo

The 'coziest warehouse ever' part makes me think of Hobbits, which is a short skip to Halflings and Serini. Anyone translate the runes on the cauldron yet? (LOL)

No doors or windows makes me think of portals to gain entrance and exit. Which again points to whoever put the maze together in the first place.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Super Longshot theory: Serini wasn't a halfling. Possibly wasn't a rogue.

ETA: Nah, that's definitely a halfling or other small character.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2021-02-08 at 08:20 AM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

Many plants. A Druid of some guise?

EDIT: To be honest I have many plants too, and I am far from a Druid, so...
    Last edited by Cicciograna; 2021-02-08 at 08:18 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Hmmmm... Could that be the Oracle? Short arms, yellow/orange skin... Is he on stilts?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yxylu View Post
    ...The figure at the cauldron looks tall, but the arm looks relatively short. Halfling on a stepladder? Although, looking more closely, the fingers seem to be an olive green color...
    OMG! It's Redcloak's niece! Ahhhhhhhhh!

12. - Top - End - #12

Green hand, very tall but arm short. I call for some kind of fey that can fly or levitate - and turn invisible.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

My theory is that its Sereni, or perhaps someone related to her, but we shall see....

Anyone figure out what is written on the cauldron yet? If I look at the symbols, they look like "Boogers" but i think its actually runes, so it would be similar to figuring out the cypher from the symbol font he used.
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

Anyone have any ideas what's draped on top of the low dresser, or on top of the little piece of furniture near the dartboard? Or what the green thing is on the right side of the top drawer?

There are a ton of plants in there, as noted already. OTOH, it's the Arctic: where else are plants going to grow? If the inhabitant wants a salad, doing it this way is their only choice. Though getting sunlight to them might be tricky... 'Magic', I guess.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't know Lien seems to be reaching to try and make her case let alone call it a draw - I think O-Chul has her solidly beat.

16. - Top - End - #16

O-Chul and Lien are a great duo and one of them is definitely going to die before the end of the strip.
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hmm . . . in terms of hex codes, the fingers (which are on weirdly small arms, as people have pointed out, for a body that tall) are #818C6C, which is a kind of grey-green. Not the usual goblinoid green, and while I was on board with the dragonic origins for the voices, I don't know if we've seen skin that unsaturated for dragon-related creatures so far. The only thing I can think of would maybe be that one green hag? Not quite as desaturated, though. Looking forward to seeing what they are!
    I draw, and I write sometimes! Drow paladin avatar by me. They/Them

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
    OTOH, it's the Arctic: where else are plants going to grow?
    I'm not sure this chamber is in the Arctic. Lien said she couldn't see any doors, which suggests that the chamber is accessed via teleportation. If so, it could be hundreds of miles away from Monster Hollow, or even on another plane of existence.
    I made a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.

19. - Top - End - #19

AssassinGuy

„access by teleport only“ lair, excellent idea.
    * my emphasis

http://dmreference.com/SRD/
    http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

Things that don't kill me make me strong
    Things that do kill me leave me dead

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by locksmith of lo View Post
    ... no one is yet ready after superb owl sunday to make commentaires.
    As owls go, it wasn't that superb unless your name was Bowles: the job he and his guys did was superb.
    Spoiler: what I am alluding to
    Show
    The only team to really solve the problem of the KC offense

The 'coziest warehouse ever' part makes me think of Hobbits, which is a short skip to Halflings and Serini. Anyone translate the runes on the cauldron yet? (LOL)
    For some reason, my feel was "coziest greenhouse at the North Pole" but then I realized that the walls look like cinder blocks, not glass.
    Anyone have any ideas what's draped on top of the low dresser, or on top of the little piece of furniture near the dartboard?
    Beyond the idea of 'hydroponics' via magic, the orange thing seems to me to be a hood, and what's on top of the chest near the ladder seems to me to be squares as I zoom in. Lego, perhaps? I like the 'bean bag chair' look for that couch.
    Quote Originally Posted by dancrilis View Post
    I don't know Lien seems to be reaching to try and make her case let alone call it a draw - I think O-Chul has her solidly beat.
    She knows better than to try and out-paladin him, doesn't she? Maybe not, the exuberance of youth knows no bounds. (I am drawing a little bit on the GDGU Lien story ...)

Heh: O-Chul's punchline in the last frame got a grin out of me.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2021-02-08 at 09:05 AM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

I guess they do have to pass the time somehow.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

I love the on-going Paladin-Off! Also: lots and lots of interesting detail in the room. Anyone translate the runes on the cauldron yet?

Many thanks, Rich!
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2021-02-08 at 08:51 AM.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

23. - Top - End - #23

That is clearly a halfling on stilts.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by deltamire View Post
    Hmm . . . in terms of hex codes, the fingers (which are on weirdly small arms, as people have pointed out, for a body that tall) are #818C6C, which is a kind of grey-green. Not the usual goblinoid green, and while I was on board with the dragonic origins for the voices, I don't know if we've seen skin that unsaturated for dragon-related creatures so far. The only thing I can think of would maybe be that one green hag? Not quite as desaturated, though. Looking forward to seeing what they are!
    Dragon-related origins might fit, if you think one of those drawings near the bean bag couch might be a child's representation of their parent.

My guess for other two drawings: 1) Watering can, tilted to the right, watering a plant. 2) Something wearing a purpleish crown. The more I look at them, they remind me of Rorschach blots.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

It would have been funny if the reason Lien couldn't see a door were because it was under the platform she and O-Chul are standing on.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

O-Chul being funny is great because you never see it coming. That was a legit laugh out loud.
    No doors implies Orange and Green can teleport / ethereal travel / similar no-door-needed ways in and out of the room.
    It's good to see that the captor likes music. Humanizes them. Of course, Xykon hums, too.
    The captors evidently sleep - there is a bed - and like extremely soft sofas.

EDIT:

Didn't spot the arm / height ratio problem, and given the green skin, I'm guessing a goblin, but of a not-supporting-Redcloak faction. A goblin cleric of high level who wasn't totally invested in reverse genocide would be an interesting development, and would make O-Chul and Lien getting out to carry the message to Durkon vitally important.
    Last edited by Shining Wrath; 2021-02-08 at 09:05 AM.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

27. - Top - End - #27
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    Anyone figure out what is written on the cauldron yet? If I look at the symbols, they look like "Boogers" but i think its actually runes, so it would be similar to figuring out the cypher from the symbol font he used.
    Yes, the font is
    Spoiler
    Show
    WizardSpeak
    blambot.com/products/wizardspeak

The words on the cauldron are
    Spoiler
    Show
    magic instant pot
    Last edited by DukeBG; 2021-02-08 at 09:00 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28

Anyone have any ideas what's draped on top of the low dresser, or on top of the little piece of furniture near the dartboard? Or what the green thing is on the right side of the top drawer?
    Note, what follows does not stem from me having great eyesight, but rather from the fact that I'm a Patreon supporter, and Rich sends out high resolution version of his pages.

On the low dresser there is what resembles a green truncated cone, maybe a vase of some sort; some orange rags that could be interpreted as a cloak; and two dun (DUN DUNNNN!!) colored sacks or something like that. Also, as you notice, there's a green thingie coming out of the right side of the top drawer, and that seems to be a plant leaf. Could be a tentacle, though.

On the box under the dartboard there are some sheets of paper and a small, yellowish box; the bottom part of the box seems to be somewhat stained in grey, might be a decoration, some dirt, or just the sign of age.

Now, I'm noticing them only now: there are three drawings on the wall, which seem to be very crude and simple, like the ones a child could make. One of them seems to be just doodles, I can't discern anything specific. Another one seems to depict some sort of draconic figure, it has an ovoidal body, a tail, an elongated head and bat-like wings. The third one is VERY interesting: there's a large pink blob with some spiked thingies on top of it, and a smaller figure on the side. The small figure is very crude, just a green rectangle for the body, and a pink circle for the head, but it really gives me "dad and son" vibes. The pink blob with spiked thingies could be interpreted as a very large head next to a smaller creature? And the spiked things could be hair, or a crest?
    Last edited by Cicciograna; 2021-02-08 at 09:04 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

I'm seconding the two Kobalds in a trench coat theory, although that means all that pedantry about their arm size would go to waste

also obligatory surprised reaction to my first time on the first page

30. - Top - End - #30
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Agi Hammerthief View Post
    „access by teleport only“ lair, excellent idea.
    And it narrows down the possibilities for who's captured them a lot! Ok, who thinks it's Kitty and who thinks it's Kurt?

And, of course, that means the important character from one page is
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cyclops, from #560
    Last edited by Zyzzyva; 2021-02-08 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Typo and link