New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1225 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Are there creatures that can slip through cracks even in an AMF? Might want to make the doors airtight if so, though the only methods I can think of are supernatural or magical anyways.
    Awakened ochre jelly?

Quote Originally Posted by Hotu View Post
    Quick question - why is everyone assuming this character has already appeared? I'm assuming it's a comment that Rich made but, I'm out of the loop on this one.
    Enjoy.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Are there creatures that can slip through cracks even in an AMF? Might want to make the doors airtight if so, though the only methods I can think of are supernatural or magical anyways.
    Epic level escape artist skill let’s you go through some pretty narrow cracks.

And I’m thinking anything in ethereal, incorporeal, ooze, or gaseous form is going to slide right through, door or no door. AMF applies to those in some situations, but not all.

Also, I would point out that even zero level characters can walk through a mundane *secret* door, even in an Anti Magic Field.
    Last edited by Dion; 2021-02-18 at 12:10 PM.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    Awakened ochre jelly?
    Well, there is that Sentry Ooze template... hey Rich worked on that book didn't he?
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

4. - Top - End - #364

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    Epic level escape artist skill let’s you go through some pretty narrow cracks.

And I’m thinking anything in ethereal, incorporeal, ooze, or gaseous form is going to slide right through, door or no door. AMF applies to those in some situations, but not all.

Also, I would point out that even zero level characters can walk through a mundane *secret* door, even in an Anti Magic Field.
    Raises the question: if Redcloak was to have cast Antimagic Shell while leaving the Dungeon, would he just walk into the dead end? (I know AMF has contradictory limitations but I would've thought that Gate travel would be covered somewhere in the errata)

5. - Top - End - #365

Vampires can go mist in an AMF, I think. I've never tried to put one in the other, just wrapped them in an Otiluke's ### Sphere and waited for dawn.

6. - Top - End - #366
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hotu View Post
    Quick question - why is everyone assuming this character has already appeared? I'm assuming it's a comment that Rich made but, I'm out of the loop on this one.
    In the commentary in book 6, Rich mentioned that Book 7 would contain a new ally to the Order, who had previously appeared on one single page of books 1-6 and prequels. There is a thread consisting of speculation who that character might be.

It seems likely that the hooded figure is that person. If so, it's someone we've already met.
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

7. - Top - End - #367
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Vampires can go mist in an AMF, I think. I've never tried to put one in the other, just wrapped them in an Otiluke's ### Sphere and waited for dawn.
    Uh, no actually; vampiric Gaseous Form is (Su). But the sphere(or a Forcecage without the bars) would work though.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

8. - Top - End - #368

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

To play devil's advocate, if there was a door on that cave Lirian could have looked in and seen they were doing the ritual and stopped it ahead of time.
    So maybe being able to see inside the cell has advantages.
    I see those are independent variables. Doors are not related to keeping an eye on prisonners. The lack of doors may dissuade putting the effort and resources into watching the prisoners, but you could just as well have a prison with doors that nobody ever checks on, or a door-less cell that is remotely scried upon.

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    The opposite really. A door can be reinforced or guarded or other stuff. If you're REALLY not keeping small-timers, you want to stop the possibility of NON-door based escapes. Specifically teleporting. Also probably gaseous forms, and stone shape/pass. So Antimagic zones.
    High level casters have the best escape options, but high level barriers are weakest against those that don't rely on magic. An epic rogue or barbarian can do a lot of harm to conventional containment methods, even if reinforced by magic. Extraordinary abilities aren't countered by AMF, and I'm sure there are cheesy prestige classes that would have a few aces up their sleeves for such circumstances.

Also, the presence of doors doesn't really negate all of these non-door based escapes you mention.

I never said "just remove the door and call it a day".
    Attention LotR fans
    Spoiler: LotR
    Show
    The scouring of the Shire never happened. That's right. After reading books I, II, and III, I stopped reading when the One Ring was thrown into Mount Doom. The story ends there. Nothing worthwhile happened afterwards. Middle-Earth was saved.

9. - Top - End - #369

Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    Raises the question: if Redcloak was to have cast Antimagic Shell while leaving the Dungeon, would he just walk into the dead end? (I know AMF has contradictory limitations but I would've thought that Gate travel would be covered somewhere in the errata)
    We don't have enough information about how the dungeon works yet to be able to answer that. Gate, teleporting, variable connectivity in a multidimensional space... ?

Years'n'years ago, when I introduced a friend to hexaflexagons, he thought it would be interesting to use the concept in laying out an RPG. As the characters would progress, certain conditions would cause the layout to "flex" in a higher-dimensional space, beyond the perceptions of the characters and without the knowledge of the players. The regions would change how they were connected, in a pattern that was consistent but non-obvious.
    Last edited by bunsen_h; 2021-02-18 at 11:37 PM.

10. - Top - End - #370
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    Great Jam!

Awakened ochre jelly?
    The name of our next batch of jalapeño jelly home made with Momma Starmast's homegrown Serrano and Jalapeño peppers and such.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2021-02-22 at 03:32 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

11. - Top - End - #371

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Great Jam!

The name of our next batch of jalapeño jelly home made with Momma Starmast's homegrown Serrano and Jalapeño peppers and such.
    Hm. I always thought oozes burn away stuff with acid.

12. - Top - End - #372
    Titan in the Playground

Hm. I always thought oozes burn away stuff with acid.
    Isn't capsicum acid?

Extended sig here.

13. - Top - End - #373

Isn't capsicum acid?
    Nope. It's a humble amide.