New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1225 - The Discussion Thread

...Can't Tsukiko teleport?
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

2. - Top - End - #332

Yes she could. If she memorized the spell that day.

3. - Top - End - #333
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Oh, I'm not denying her academic credentials at all but, she had proof that Redcloak was a traitor and when discovered snooping around in his study she decided to confront him right there despite knowing that he had a mind-control-the-undead spell. she was rather foolish.
    In actual fact, Redcloak used his Command Undead ability (which every single Evil cleric has and needs no preparing) rather than a spell, but otherwise yes, Tsukiko is a fine example of how a high INT and WIS score can sometimes have difficulty keeping one from being extremely stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    That room was dimensionally locked?
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2021-02-17 at 09:42 AM.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Titan in the Playground

She tried to (Page 2, 7th panel).
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

5. - Top - End - #335
    Titan in the Playground

So unless the room's under antimagic or a dimensional lock then she'd be able to escape.

That's why the Azure City prison managed to hold her incidentally; like the Empire of Blood it had antimagic.

Wait, how do you make an antimagic field permanent again?

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

6. - Top - End - #336
    Titan in the Playground

So unless the room's under antimagic or a dimensional lock then she'd be able to escape.

That's why the Azure City prison managed to hold her incidentally; like the Empire of Blood it had antimagic.

Regular castings of the spell?
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

7. - Top - End - #337
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    I thought "schmuck" was a negative assesment of someone's mental might. Is it not?
    No, you're thinking of schmendrick. A schmuck is an obnoxious or contemptible person.
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

8. - Top - End - #338
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Homebrewed Permanency also works.

Anyway, the point is, "doors are for schmucks in this world" is not a hard and fast rule at all.

Spoiler: Start of Darkness
    Show
    And the one time we did see a no-door-prison, the prisoners still escaped.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

9. - Top - End - #339
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    No, you're thinking of schmendrick. A schmuck is an obnoxious or contemptible person.
    Merriam-webster says otherwise.

Edit: also I don't speak Yiddish.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2021-02-17 at 10:25 AM.

10. - Top - End - #340

If the forum's nanny filters did, we couldn't use the word schmuck.

11. - Top - End - #341
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

See I thought Schmuck was a gullible person, but that might be my interpretation of a word I don't often encounter outside 80s spoof films.

12. - Top - End - #342

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    See I thought Schmuck was a gullible person, but that might be my interpretation of a word I don't often encounter outside 80s spoof films.
    Is this a spaceballs thread now?
    Last edited by Dion; 2021-02-17 at 01:44 PM.

13. - Top - End - #343

Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    Nah, it's a Spaceballs 2 thread.

14. - Top - End - #344

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    Here's hoping!
    (I've seen Spaceballs maybe twice and read the novelisation as a kid but if it derails another Sequel Trilogy Grumble-Mill I'M ALL FOR IT)

15. - Top - End - #345

Water...water

Oil...oil

Room service...room service

I may have watched that movie an unhealthy amount of times.

16. - Top - End - #346

Well, she got out, didn't she? And having the dungeon in an otherwise remote and inaccessible location would probably have avoided that.

So guess the azurites were kinda schmuks for being so traditional in their detainment conceptions. :P
    Attention LotR fans
    Spoiler: LotR
    Show
    The scouring of the Shire never happened. That's right. After reading books I, II, and III, I stopped reading when the One Ring was thrown into Mount Doom. The story ends there. Nothing worthwhile happened afterwards. Middle-Earth was saved.

17. - Top - End - #347
    Ogre in the Playground

Don't forget the snarl perpetually escapes its prison, which also doesn't come with a door. Coupled with the SoD event, and I think we have multiple data points of prisons without doors failing to contain prisoners, and no data points where it works, suggesting a 100% failure rate.

On the other hand prisons with doors also haven't contained anyone until their agreed upon release date in the comic, so I'm not sure what the takeaway is. Don't try to imprison people?

18. - Top - End - #348

Quote Originally Posted by Goblin_Priest View Post
    Well, she got out, didn't she? And having the dungeon in an otherwise remote and inaccessible location would probably have avoided that.
    By virtue of being asked if she wanted to get out by her captors, yes. That does not make a terribly compelling argument about doors, though. Neither does the "remote and inaccessible location" part.

19. - Top - End - #349
    Titan in the Playground

In this particular scenario, you get out Stronghold Builder's Guidebook and craft sigils of antimagic.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

20. - Top - End - #350

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    Don't forget the snarl perpetually escapes its prison, which also doesn't come with a door. Coupled with the SoD event, and I think we have multiple data points of prisons without doors failing to contain prisoners, and no data points where it works, suggesting a 100% failure rate.

On the other hand prisons with doors also haven't contained anyone until their agreed upon release date in the comic, so I'm not sure what the takeaway is. Don't try to imprison people?
    Survivor bias, maybe. Following characters that are stuck in their prison and never get to escape would make for a boring story.

Dorukan and Lirian could technically be said to be in a door-less prison.

And I guess our sample size of what people in the OotS setting do is rather small. That said, a door means that even a level 1 commoner can potentially escape.

Lirian's prison had an important loophole, though a rather small one. It took a high level caster turning undead via an obscure ritual thanks to the aid of a high level cleric in order to bypass. Pretty much no one else could have pulled off this escape. A more generic anti-magic zone as the azurites did would have solved this issue, though. You cite it as an example of failure, but it took the biggest baddest team in the world to break out, pretty much.

Also, I never meant to imply that the lack of a door was sufficient. Just that the presence of a door is a needless security flaw, once you have the magical means to go without one. Locks can be picked, doors can be broken, schedules of regular door openings can be exploited, etc. It also means that the location of the cell is more or less obvious, easing break-ins, compared to something hidden miles away, buried far from prying eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    By virtue of being asked if she wanted to get out by her captors, yes. That does not make a terribly compelling argument about doors, though. Neither does the "remote and inaccessible location" part.
    Oh, I got mixed up. Was thinking of whoever got released by the boulder hit. I think that was Nale, then?
    Attention LotR fans
    Spoiler: LotR
    Show
    The scouring of the Shire never happened. That's right. After reading books I, II, and III, I stopped reading when the One Ring was thrown into Mount Doom. The story ends there. Nothing worthwhile happened afterwards. Middle-Earth was saved.

21. - Top - End - #351

Yes, followed shortly by Sabine and Thog.

22. - Top - End - #352
    Ogre in the Playground

Also, I never meant to imply that the lack of a door was sufficient. Just that the presence of a door is a needless security flaw, once you have the magical means to go without one. Locks can be picked, doors can be broken, schedules of regular door openings can be exploited, etc. It also means that the location of the cell is more or less obvious, easing break-ins, compared to something hidden miles away, buried far from prying eyes.
    Spoiler
    Show

To play devil's advocate, if there was a door on that cave Lirian could have looked in and seen they were doing the ritual and stopped it ahead of time.
    So maybe being able to see inside the cell has advantages.

23. - Top - End - #353
    Ettin in the Playground

I agree that this room is clearly multi-purpose and that you don't have to be a schmuck not to have a prison with no doors.

I also was idly wondering if Cliffport even *has* the resources to maintain that sort of thing. We've only seen a few prisons, and sure, Azure City has a secret order of paladins and clerics, but how common is that in the Stickverse?

24. - Top - End - #354
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    I agree that this room is clearly multi-purpose and that you don't have to be a schmuck not to have a prison with no doors.

I also was idly wondering if Cliffport even *has* the resources to maintain that sort of thing. We've only seen a few prisons, and sure, Azure City has a secret order of paladins and clerics, but how common is that in the Stickverse?
    Cliffport's jail is easy enough that pre-development Elan and Thog could break out of it with nothing but the prison clothes on their back. Heck, the only reason Elan couldn't do that himself is because he didn't know the right spells(or know how to apply them); someone with proper blasting spells or even Dimension Door could get out faster than it'd take to lock them up.

Extended sig here.

25. - Top - End - #355
    Ettin in the Playground

Cliffport's jail is easy enough that pre-development Elan and Thog could break out of it with nothing but the prison clothes on their back. Heck, the only reason Elan couldn't do that himself is because he didn't know the right spells(or know how to apply them); someone with proper blasting spells or even Dimension Door could get out faster than it'd take to lock them up.
    Yeah, I started thinking about this in relation to the schmuck comment, because I was wondering how many places in the Stickverse would even have anything like the resources necessary to maintain a prison with no doors. Lots of Commoners out there.

26. - Top - End - #356
    Ogre in the Playground

I think Elan would always have found escaping from the Cliffport prison exactly as hard regardless of his level. The universe quite literally adapts itself to the PCs to provide an adequate challenge, that's built into the setting.
    ungelic is us

27. - Top - End - #357
    Ogre in the Playground

In a world like this one, if you want to make a prison, and you aren't a schmuk detaining other smuks, you'd more likely than not avoid having doors.
    The opposite really. A door can be reinforced or guarded or other stuff. If you're REALLY not keeping small-timers, you want to stop the possibility of NON-door based escapes. Specifically teleporting. Also probably gaseous forms, and stone shape/pass. So Antimagic zones.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

28. - Top - End - #358
    Titan in the Playground

Are there creatures that can slip through cracks even in an AMF? Might want to make the doors airtight if so, though the only methods I can think of are supernatural or magical anyways.

Extended sig here.

29. - Top - End - #359
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    With a name like Smuckers, it HAS to be good.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

30. - Top - End - #360
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quick question - why is everyone assuming this character has already appeared? I'm assuming it's a comment that Rich made but, I'm out of the loop on this one.