New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1225 - The Discussion Thread

Also have the sneaking suspicion Trenchcoat Stirrer is two people standing totempole style.

Nice observation by O-Chul though.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

This fits with my expectation that we will cut away to the paladins for a few episodes, and the OOTS team will be able to make ambush preparations without us knowing what they are, preserving dramatic tension.
    Last edited by Hiro Quester; 2021-02-08 at 09:17 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    This. This sooooo much. I wasn't expecting *two* thread wins from you.
    Spoiler: Avatar & Iron Chef Awards
    Show
    Awesome Dragonfire Bard Avatar by Oneris. A detailed version is here.
    Iron Chef awards:
    IC C Swiftblade: Honorable Mention for Pahika Kanikani, the Wardancer
    IC CII Blade Dancer: Silver for Hu Tiaowu, the Jungle Guardian

3. - Top - End - #33
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Random thought:
    If the IFCC or allies thereof have our two noble paladins, then they could be in hell - a very comfy hell, as they don't deserve eternal damnation but are just being kept out of the way for a while, so the universe can be destroyed. That would explain the lack of doors.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

4. - Top - End - #34
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dancrilis View Post
    I don't know Lien seems to be reaching to try and make her case let alone call it a draw - I think O-Chul has her solidly beat.
    I completely agree.

On a different note, those plants look familiar, and I, like the rest of the forum, am desperately hunting out our single-paged ally. Therefore, my bid on the cloaked figure is the dryad indirectly responsible for getting Roy and Celia together.
    Stop using good evidence and logic that makes sense to refute points, that's my job
    Lots of people seem to use blue for sarcasm, I decided I should too
    Quote Originally Posted by nabcif View Post
    Nitpick: I believe you'll find that only our heads explode. Page 43 of Book of Pedantic Forumites, if memory serves.
    I have joined the ranks of the FFRPeople Here is my character.

Thank you to Linkele for creating my avatar!

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

I wanted to dismiss the greenish skin by saying that might be distortion caused by saving the picture due to the hand being so small, but Lien and O-Chul are even smaller and their skin colour shows up perfectly right. And if that's a "magic instant pot", and not just some random stew, that makes Serini even less likely.

At least one of the drawings on the wall seems to be a kind of dragon.
    ungelic is us

6. - Top - End - #36
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hroşila View Post
    I wanted to dismiss the greenish skin by saying that might be distortion caused by saving the picture due to the hand being so small, but Lien and O-Chul are even smaller and their skin colour shows up perfectly right. And if that's a "magic instant pot", and not just some random stew, that makes Serini even less likely.

At least one of the drawings on the wall seems to be a kind of dragon.
    OTOH a "magic instant pot" sounds like some enabling device that would allow people who can't do magic to, well, do magic. Like, you know, "instant coffee" is not really real coffee, but is "as good as". As far as we know Serini is not a spellcaster, but she is a high level rogue, and she might have a very high rank in Use Magic Device. Maybe she can't actually do magic, but the pot allows her to.
    Last edited by Cicciograna; 2021-02-08 at 09:29 AM.

7. - Top - End - #37

SamuraiGuy

Oh, we've now discovered what the wisps floating by the paladins are - they are the fumes of whatever's being stirred. Soup? Potions? Laundry? Your guess is as good as mine.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

8. - Top - End - #38
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Zyzzyva View Post
    And, of course, that means the important character from one page is
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cyclops, from #560
    Unfortunately not. He also appears on page 7 of Start of Darkness.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Halfling in the Playground

Hmm, the way the upper level does seem sort of warehouse-like and the way there are many more manacles than required for our pair of proud paladins, I am going to guess this is the refill point for the dungeons. The manacles are there to hold "monsters" before they get dropped into their new lairs.

Welcome to the back stage area.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I'm interested to learn more about this mysterious hooded figure. Of course, it's also a great question to ask where they are, since clearly this place is set up for holding more people captive, but does not really seem like much of a jail. Then again, not having any way out is a pretty effective method for keeping people locked in.

Peelee’s Lotsey

11. - Top - End - #41
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Anyone have theories as to why there are so many sets of manacles on the wall?

it implies an intention to hold I think up to 6 medium humanoids, which is an oddly specific form of restraint given the diverse nature of creatures and the escape capabilities they might have.

12. - Top - End - #42

BardGuy

The cauldron-stirrer could be wearing gloves, so the skin color could be anything

Edit: the darts in the wall, away from the dartboard, indicate that whoever was playing is *not* a halfling
    Last edited by Fitzclowningham; 2021-02-08 at 09:49 AM.

13. - Top - End - #43

Thanks Giant!
    To find in order to lose; To fall in order to stand up
    To freeze in order to ignite; To find myself within, and not fear the edge
    To die in order to be reborn to the new world

14. - Top - End - #44

Quote Originally Posted by deltamire View Post
    Hmm . . . in terms of hex codes, the fingers (which are on weirdly small arms, as people have pointed out, for a body that tall) are #818C6C, which is a kind of grey-green. Not the usual goblinoid green, and while I was on board with the dragonic origins for the voices, I don't know if we've seen skin that unsaturated for dragon-related creatures so far. The only thing I can think of would maybe be that one green hag? Not quite as desaturated, though. Looking forward to seeing what they are!
    Two theories present themselves to me given the hands—one is the green voice, which has been discussed. The other is that the pot-stirrers' hands may have been stained green by whatever they're stirring. Just judging on sight, that acid color could make pale-to-medium toned skin that shade of green, couldn't it?

I'm reading the contents of the pot itself as being something fairly benign, incidentally. My first instinct, seeing the coziness of the rest of the room, was 'soup.' Albeit a weird color, but the Azurites drink blue wine. The 'instapot' reference in the runes might corroborate that interpretation.
    Spoiler: This signature is a historical relic from a long-ago time of regular forum activity.
    Show
    Aww man! Even all the witty self referencing sigs are gone now!
    Excellent Avatar by CheesePirate, Awesome banners by Pink Haired August

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #45
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

Lightbulb Re: OOTS #1225 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Cicciograna View Post
    Note, what follows does not stem from me having great eyesight, but rather from the fact that I'm a Patreon supporter, and Rich sends out high resolution version of his pages.

[…] there are three drawings on the wall, which seem to be very crude and simple, like the ones a child could make. One of them seems to be just doodles, I can't discern anything specific.
    Similarly based on the high-res version of the panels, those doodles remind me a lot of the Draketooth clan’s facial tattoos, both in colour and style.

But maybe that’s just a coincidence, given that any two sets of scrawly squiggly lines have a fairly good chance of looking similar to each other.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ianm1981 View Post
    Anyone have theories as to why there are so many sets of manacles on the wall?

it implies an intention to hold I think up to 6 medium humanoids, which is an oddly specific form of restraint given the diverse nature of creatures and the escape capabilities they might have.
    Isn’t the usual size of an adventuring party 4-6? The builder of this room is genre-savvy.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

The third one is VERY interesting: there's a large pink blob with some spiked thingies on top of it, and a smaller figure on the side. The small figure is very crude, just a green rectangle for the body, and a pink circle for the head, but it really gives me "dad and son" vibes. The pink blob with spiked thingies could be interpreted as a very large head next to a smaller creature? And the spiked things could be hair, or a crest?
    I only have the low rez version, but it reminded me of this:

-.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

18. - Top - End - #48
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

The one crayon drawing with the big pink blob that has spiky hair made me think of...well, a particular entity that popped up in #32. You know, a big orby guy with one eye and some eyestalks.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Given the dragon drawings, maybe its the black dragon descendant who was a spell caster

The title "chain reaction" could be a clue to the actual chain the familicide spell created. He or she was killed, and since it wasn't in a swamp, the corpse could be revived.

or this is the dragon wizards assistant. mama dragon was somewhat versed in magic herself, so this being a sorcerer or something could make sense.

there were 2 kidnappers involved, so maybe this is related to 1 of the dragon descendants.
    Vae Victus!

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

On the low dresser there is what resembles a green truncated cone, maybe a vase of some sort; some orange rags that could be interpreted as a cloak; and two dun (DUN DUNNNN!!) colored sacks or something like that. Also, as you notice, there's a green thingie coming out of the right side of the top drawer, and that seems to be a plant leaf. Could be a tentacle, though.
    I’m just going off the low-res version, but the orange thing looks to me like a wig or possibly a hood.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    Random thought:
    If the IFCC or allies thereof have our two noble paladins, then they could be in hell - a very comfy hell, as they don't deserve eternal damnation but are just being kept out of the way for a while, so the universe can be destroyed. That would explain the lack of doors.
    The plants suggest to me otherwise, but that's more of a 'feel' thing than any explicit 3.5e lore in re the evil planes.
    OTOH a "magic instant pot" sounds like some enabling device that would allow people who can't do magic to, well, do magic. Like, you know, "instant coffee" is not really real coffee, but is "as good as". As far as we know Serini is not a spellcaster, but she is a high level rogue, and she might have a very high rank in Use Magic Device. Maybe she can't actually do magic, but the pot allows her to.
    That's what I was thinking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fnordius View Post
    ... I am going to guess this is the refill point for the dungeons. The manacles are there to hold "monsters" before they get dropped into their new lairs.
    Hmm, {someone} planning to use the Paladins as "Monsters" defending the gate? Does that mean they try to capture more of the Order as well?
    Quote Originally Posted by ianm1981 View Post
    Might just be a case of "that's how many sets fit on that wall" or "misery loves company" ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Fitzclowningham View Post
    Edit: the darts in the wall, away from the dartboard, indicate that whoever was playing is *not* a halfling
    +1.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post
    Isn’t the usual size of an adventuring party 4-6? The builder of this room is genre-savvy.
    Self aware stick figure parody ... check.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

22. - Top - End - #52

Quote Originally Posted by Agi Hammerthief View Post
    „access by teleport only“ lair, excellent idea.
    Security-wise, maybe. Logistically, it's a nightmare. No ventilation, no naturally-occurring food, and an environment that's hostile to growing your own. Magic can solve most if that, but it'd have some pretty hefty upkeep costs.
    Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? 'Course ya do!

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

*gushes unintelligibly over our cat, Sunshine*

[Nexus characters, grouped by setting:
    Ouroboros: here
    Maesda: here
    Others: here
    ]

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    I only have the low rez version, but it reminded me of this:

High res version here. It could be something like that, the larger reddish shape is a circle with 3-4 triangles. Which could be a beast with spikes. The smaller green and red seems to be a O atop a squarish U. Which could be a basic humanoid body + head shape.

Also the right painting is clearly a dragonlike creature. Batwing, lizardtail, round body and round head with a squiggly line for a jaw (sharp teeth).

The middle painting is two symbols. They look like a 2 with a horn and S-shaped tail, and 4 with a 3-shaped tail.

P.S. Explaining pictures in tekst is hard.
    Last edited by Yanisa; 2021-02-08 at 10:23 AM.
    Proudly addicted to pointing out where exactly rules can be found.

Countdown to Belkar's death and my follow-up count gives us less then 3 weeks left. Poor Belkar.

___

What effects allow a saving throw?
    List of almost all 3.5 skills.
    Old PF Initiative Build

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    Happened to be inexplicably still awake, lucky me. Looks like those of us who suspected the final panel of #1224 suggested a scene transition were right.

Of course, lots to speculate on the identity of the hooded individual. Maybe this is the unlikely ally!
    I'm guessing it is the epic level halfling. That costume has too much costume going on, like a facsimile of a mysterious person.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

25. - Top - End - #55
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Yanisa View Post
    P.S. Explaining pictures in tekst is hard.
    Well, you didn't use a thousand words. There's your problem.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fitzclowningham View Post
    Why do they indicate that?
    I made a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.

27. - Top - End - #57

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleBison View Post
    Because halflings have very good aim with thrown stuff.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleBison View Post
    The board and darts are too high off the floor. If a halfling was using it, it would be closer to the floor.

There are a lot of plants about and in the "close shot" there seems to be a small tree, Whoever this is they came form a place where there was a lot of green and they have all the plants about as a way to make themselves feel a little more at home.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

29. - Top - End - #59
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    The board and darts are too high off the floor. If a halfling was using it, it would be closer to the floor.

There are a lot of plants about and in the "close shot" there seems to be a small tree, Whoever this is they came form a place where there was a lot of green and they have all the plants about as a way to make themselves feel a little more at home.
    I don't think either of those are necessarily supported. The aim thing makes much more sense.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

30. - Top - End - #60
    Dwarf in the Playground

I don't know if I agree with this. An instant pot isn't like an instant coffee maker, it's a vaguely faddish cooking appliance that is a slow-cooker/stockpot with the ability to brown things, but they are more likely to be owned by people who like to cook; it's not like they're for reheating frozen dinners or otherwise not cooking.

So I think this is more of a foodie in-joke than an indication one way or another about whether the pot-stirrer can brew potions or use magic devices.