New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91

Default Re: OOTS #1225 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
    I'd think the second member of the Duo was Serini's kid, (which naturally would make the other one Serini) resulting from a liaison with Draketooth, but Familicide would have killed such a child, right?
    Familicide would kill them both. The kid for being descended from the dragon, and Serini for being related to the kid.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGuy

It might be Serini, due to the fact that there appears to be a journal next to the bed on the stool. Serini does seem to like keeping journals....

3. - Top - End - #93
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    For some reason, my feel was "coziest greenhouse at the North Pole" but then I realized that the walls look like cinder blocks, not glass.
    Whatever the wall material is, the darts that missed the dartboard are sticking into it (or to it).
    Last edited by bunsen_h; 2021-02-08 at 01:00 PM.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    Well duh, you're not the protagonists! Of course you're getting captured
    Elan got captured by bandits/thieves in NCrtPB, and again by Orcs in DStP.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Pilgrim View Post
    No offense, Lien, but O-Chul is out-palading you again.
    Concur.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

5. - Top - End - #95

I can't find the page. How does this cloak compare to the ones worn by the Holey Brotherhood?

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    I can't find the page. How does this cloak compare to the ones worn by the Holey Brotherhood?
    Not a good fit.

I have an idea: the cloak is sized for an adult, but the current creature who is stirring the pot is the child of the adult who is standing on a stool. The child is stirring the concoction in the pot and chose to 'dress up like mom' or 'dress up like dad' and emulate their pot stirring behavior. (Yes, pun intended).

Also, just above the handles on the nearer of the two wardrobes/closets, is a yellow square.

Is that a 'to do' list, a shopping list, or, a window/hatch/opening in that wardrobe? I don't see a matching one on the other wardrobe.

To whomever posited 'that thing on the table near the bed is a diary' - nice one.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2021-02-08 at 01:30 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

7. - Top - End - #97
    Barbarian in the Playground

"I guess we're finally doing this. Fun while it lasted, right?"
    "What was, boss?"
    "Existing."

Assuming the speakers are related to the pot stirrer (not ready to rule out two halflings/kobolds/one of each in a trenchcoat...yet) I'm really interested in hearing their motives right now.

Those lines above, from one year ago? Either they were some kind of strange summon/construct that stops existing after their task is complete, or they're talking about the Snarl winning, or they're talking about what will happen if they get caught helping.

1) Self-aware constructs that are invisible and capable of speech aren't super common. I definitely can't think of one that comes with poison darts.

2) We're back to the IFCC taKing V. Removing Lien and O-Chul could lead to a struggle that, in turn, could destroy the final gate, ending the universe. Again. But in that case, why not kill them? The voice(s) seems clearly up to that option, but it wasn't their first. It also feels risky. As demonstated, the OotS could, for example, just open negotiations with Redcloak. Also, if Redcloak wins, the Dark One doesn't want the gate broken. I have no idea if the Snarl would permakill the Dark One when it escapes, and I don't think the Dark One knows either.

3) The IFCC almost certainly has the power to wipe out the very soul of a minion of theirs that betrays them. Possibly one of them is going behind the backs of the other two, by which I mean, sending minions to do their dirty work. They (or whoever) could be ready to explain everything to the captive paladins. But...why poison them and drag them away to do that? V had a contract to that prevented the IFCC from outright murder, but the paladins have no such arrangement. And what would the IFCC, or again anyone else really, tell the paladins, true or false, that would work in their favor?

None of these really feel like solid options. I'm missing something, and can't wait to see what it is.

Oh, and I suppose
    Spoiler
    Show
    It could be what's left of the Eastern Pantheon, their color is green after all

8. - Top - End - #98
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bunsen_h View Post
    Whatever the wall material is, the darts that missed the dartboard are sticking into it (or to it).
    Well, they're probably not adamantine darts, +3000gp each would get expensive in a hurry.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fitzclowningham View Post
    The cauldron-stirrer could be wearing gloves, so the skin color could be anything

Edit: the darts in the wall, away from the dartboard, indicate that whoever was playing is *not* a halfling
    Who ever was playing ALSO isn't the one who captured the Paladins, since they were dropped with accurate shots.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yanisa View Post
    The middle painting is two symbols. They look like a 2 with a horn and S-shaped tail, and 4 with a 3-shaped tail.
    Maybe it's the numbers 1 2 3 4 5 ?
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

11. - Top - End - #101

HalflingWizardGirl

I’m a bit surprised that only two people (as far as I saw) speculated that the cloaked figure could be wearing gloves, since I think that’s rather probable given that the shade of olive used is a rather glove-y color.

I also think that judging by the contours of the cloak, a halfling on stilts is likely, especially since even if it’s somewhat predictable, the comedic value of the reveal would still have some impact, though it would likely be overshadowed by the dramatic value of the reveal if said halfling happens to be Ms. Toormuck. As for why the figure is wearing stilts, that’s rather simple: they can’t reach the top of the cauldron without them, and a footstool is far less mobile.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ettin in the Playground

Could be the Holey Brotherhood with a redesigned robe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    "I guess we're finally doing this. Fun while it lasted, right?"
    "What was, boss?"
    "Existing."

Assuming the speakers are related to the pot stirrer (not ready to rule out two halflings/kobolds/one of each in a trenchcoat...yet) I'm really interested in hearing their motives right now.

Those lines above, from one year ago? Either they were some kind of strange summon/construct that stops existing after their task is complete, or they're talking about the Snarl winning, or they're talking about what will happen if they get caught helping.

1) Self-aware constructs that are invisible and capable of speech aren't super common. I definitely can't think of one that comes with poison darts.

2) We're back to the IFCC taKing V. Removing Lien and O-Chul could lead to a struggle that, in turn, could destroy the final gate, ending the universe. Again. But in that case, why not kill them? The voice(s) seems clearly up to that option, but it wasn't their first. It also feels risky. As demonstated, the OotS could, for example, just open negotiations with Redcloak. Also, if Redcloak wins, the Dark One doesn't want the gate broken. I have no idea if the Snarl would permakill the Dark One when it escapes, and I don't think the Dark One knows either.

3) The IFCC almost certainly has the power to wipe out the very soul of a minion of theirs that betrays them. Possibly one of them is going behind the backs of the other two, by which I mean, sending minions to do their dirty work. They (or whoever) could be ready to explain everything to the captive paladins. But...why poison them and drag them away to do that? V had a contract to that prevented the IFCC from outright murder, but the paladins have no such arrangement. And what would the IFCC, or again anyone else really, tell the paladins, true or false, that would work in their favor?

None of these really feel like solid options. I'm missing something, and can't wait to see what it is.

Oh, and I suppose
    Spoiler
    Show
    It could be what's left of the Eastern Pantheon, their color is green after all
    Maybe they're aware that the story is reaching its conclusion and every character will cease to exist once it ends.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

13. - Top - End - #103

Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post
    Maybe they're aware that the story is reaching its conclusion and every character will cease to exist once it ends.
    So...a bard, then?

14. - Top - End - #104
    Pixie in the Playground

The bed is "human sized" and the book on the nightstand implies the bed is actually used. However, on the other hand – the wardrobe handles are located quite low, more suiting for a smaller humanoid.

15. - Top - End - #105

Quote Originally Posted by P. G. Macer View Post
    I’m a bit surprised that only two people (as far as I saw) speculated that the cloaked figure could be wearing gloves, since I think that’s rather probable given that the shade of olive used is a rather glove-y color.

I also think that judging by the contours of the cloak, a halfling on stilts is likely, especially since even if it’s somewhat predictable, the comedic value of the reveal would still have some impact, though it would likely be overshadowed by the dramatic value of the reveal if said halfling happens to be Ms. Toormuck. As for why the figure is wearing stilts, that’s rather simple: they can’t reach the top of the cauldron without them, and a footstool is far less mobile.
    I agree about the gloves. I'd want to be wearing gloves if I was stirring a large pot full of liquid that was glooping and bubbling like that.

The background in panel 4 isn't the same as that in panel 3, though the relative positions of the captor and the pot are very similar. This suggests that the captor is circling the pot as they stir it, as borne out by the cloak/coat appearing to drag on the floor.

But wearing a too-long cloak/coat is bad enough when one is on foot. Wearing it while wearing stilts would be very awkward. Doing it while walking would be even worse. Doing it while walking around a boiling cauldron... no thanks.

EDIT: But doing it while levitating wouldn't be so bad.
    Last edited by bunsen_h; 2021-02-08 at 02:14 PM.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Well, they're probably not adamantine darts, +3000gp each would get expensive in a hurry.
    They can probably be reused indefinitely in a game of darts, though. I know that’s not RAW, but it makes sense that throwing them at a dart board would produce much less wear-and-tear than combat would.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

17. - Top - End - #107

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    Who ever was playing ALSO isn't the one who captured the Paladins, since they were dropped with accurate shots.
    Not to mention being strong enough to carry a pair of unconscious Paladins in plate mail. Between that, the fact that one of them addressed the other as "boss", and that cauldron guy doesn't match up physically with what you'd expect, my guess is "larger organization, and the Paladins were found by a scouting party/patrol/whatever".
    Last edited by Ironsmith; 2021-02-08 at 02:42 PM.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    They can probably be reused indefinitely in a game of darts, though. I know that’s not RAW, but it makes sense that throwing them at a dart board would produce much less wear-and-tear than combat would.
    It is RAW, actually; darts are thrown weapons, not ammunition, so they don't break in normal use. Not being ammunition is also why it's +3000gp each instead of +60gp each.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    Maybe it's the numbers 1 2 3 4 5 ?
    Possible, especially if you see it a kids drawing. The spacing is a bit weird, like the 1 being on atop of the 2. Or the 3 being super close against the 4. Or the 5 just hanging in the middle half a line down. Also the the 3 and 5 miss a part of their upper line, the 2 is too angular and the 5 is too round to be called "proper" Arabic numerals. A child doodling/learning numbers can easily explains all these things.

As for the order, it's 1 2 5 4 3, with the 1 being a line higher because it's on the 2. And the 5 being half a line lower. Maybe relevant, maybe we are literally speculating over a child's scribble.
    Last edited by Yanisa; 2021-02-08 at 02:53 PM.
    Proudly addicted to pointing out where exactly rules can be found.

Countdown to Belkar's death and my follow-up count gives us less then 3 weeks left. Poor Belkar.

___

What effects allow a saving throw?
    List of almost all 3.5 skills.
    Old PF Initiative Build

20. - Top - End - #110
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Maybe relevant, maybe we are literally speculating over a child's scribble.
    Are the scribbles connected to the Order of the Scribble? Does the order of the scribbles mean anything? Could the first one be a Scribbler and the other two just scribbles?
    A student by vocation, a D&Der by avocation (a wizard by evocation).

Order of the Stick Trivia XXIII: 50% More Entertaining than Speculating About MitD!

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    It is RAW, actually; darts are thrown weapons, not ammunition, so they don't break in normal use. Not being ammunition is also why it's +3000gp each instead of +60gp each.
    Oh, neat! Whoops, I should have double-checked before posting.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Also the crayon drawings are clearly of Charizard, Venusaur and Blastoise so we know it's a pokemon trainer. Seeing as how the dungeons are full of monsters clearly it is Serini.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

23. - Top - End - #113

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Also the crayon drawings are clearly of Charizard, Venusaur and Blastoise so we know it's a pokemon trainer. Seeing as how the dungeons are full of monsters clearly it is Serini.
    So we know that the entity is some kind of 10yrs old child of Schroedinger gender (collapses into a specific one only after observation), and that he bravely travels the world capturing wild creatures and pitting them in battle against other trainers. I would say that O'Chul makes an excellent specimen of Steel/Fighting type, while Lien, who is probably hard but not as hard as O'Chul, is Rock/Fighting.
    Last edited by Cicciograna; 2021-02-08 at 03:07 PM.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    Oh, neat! Whoops, I should have double-checked before posting.
    I blame shuriken and their "thrown except ammunition except mid-throw" weirdness.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cicciograna View Post
    So we know that the entity is some kind of 10yrs child of Schroedinger gender (collapses into a specific one only after observation), and that he bravley travels the world capturing wild creatures and pitting them in battle against other trainers. I would say that O'Chul makes an excellent specimen of Steel/Fighting type, while Lien, who is probably hard but not as hard as O'Chul, is Rock/Fighting.
    Lien is clearly a Water type, maybe Water/Fighting. (For the record: She summons a shark, breathes underwater and lives near and on boats.)
    Proudly addicted to pointing out where exactly rules can be found.

Countdown to Belkar's death and my follow-up count gives us less then 3 weeks left. Poor Belkar.

___

What effects allow a saving throw?
    List of almost all 3.5 skills.
    Old PF Initiative Build

26. - Top - End - #116

Lien is clearly a Water type, maybe Water/Fighting. (For the record: She summons a shark, breathes underwater and lives near and on boats.)
    You're absolutely right!

27. - Top - End - #117
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    I have an idea: the cloak is sized for an adult, but the current creature who is stirring the pot is the child of the adult who is standing on a stool. The child is stirring the concoction in the pot and chose to 'dress up like mom' or 'dress up like dad' and emulate their pot stirring behavior. (Yes, pun intended).
    Loving this idea. That would explain the drawings as well. And add a comical twist.

But thinking now the child hypothesis would give at least three characters in the new group - the boss, the minion and the child? Or is the child also the boss? Do all three live together in this cozy warehouse?

28. - Top - End - #118
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    I'm going with the "these guys got sent by Tiamat" theory.
    I'll take that bet.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

29. - Top - End - #119
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by bunsen_h View Post
    I agree about the gloves. I'd want to be wearing gloves if I was stirring a large pot full of liquid that was glooping and bubbling like that.

But wearing a too-long cloak/coat is bad enough when one is on foot. Wearing it while wearing stilts would be very awkward. Doing it while walking would be even worse. Doing it while walking around a boiling cauldron... no thanks.

EDIT: But doing it while levitating wouldn't be so bad.
    Hmm I would say the presence of the ladder makes it unlikely that here lives someone who's used to casually flying around the place. But maybe more than one person lives here.

30. - Top - End - #120

GreenSorcererElf

It would be really weird for Tiamat to become a major player now, coming off of an arc with a whole bunch of gods, and the arc before that being one where we were on the Western Continent, where she's widely worshipped. And the arc before that being the one with evil dragons.
    Last edited by TRH; 2021-02-08 at 03:19 PM.