New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Alice In Borderland

I discovered this on Netflix. It's based on a Japanese manga and has similarities to The Cube, though I don't know which came first. I finished three of eight episodes of the first season as of this posting. It's a horror series. The third episode is where it gets tragic.

Spoiler: Episode 3
    Show
    I did think they would all make it. I thought of a solution as to how to get everyone be a wolf. Look at their reflections. Presuming the helmets used light/laser transfer to signifiy who is the wolf by looking at their reflections the light would continually bounce registering everyone as wolf. There were even scenes of Arisu seeing his reflection, but the idea never came up. If the glass reflections were't strong enough try a mirror.
    Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    Rules existing are a dire threat to the divine power of the DM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Alice In Borderland

REALLY RECOMMEND NOT OPENING SPOILERS UNTIL YOU SEE THE WHOLE THING

I really enjoyed it, with one caveat (that I'll spoiler just in case)

Spoiler: caveat
    Show
    For a few episodic things I've watched on Netflix lately, I get bored near the end of the season when it seems apparent there won't be a satisfying personal ending for the main characters, or at least it seemed unlikely. I guess it's that I'm hoping for something uplifting, but I don't see it happening and reckon that the season will instead end on a depressing cliffhanger, setting up for season 2. And just lose interest.

Once they got close to the final Game of season 1, I just kinda lost interest since I felt season 1 wouldn't resolve in a way I'd like. (I was wrong!)
    Also, I guessed the solution to the final game once it started, which kinda undid some of the tension.

BUT I admit I was surprised by how well the season ended and I'm glad I finished it!

Spoiler: episode 3, and a spoiler about the final couple episodes of season 1
    Show
    How that game ended really surprised me. I did not expect those characters to die. I also think there was a solution, and he was close to figuring it out.

I think the final episodes hint that, in every game (even Hearts), nobody who isn't a gamemaster has to die. E.g., we learn that the taggers in the 2nd Game were gamemasters; and nobody had to die for the final game of season 1.
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2021-02-08 at 02:08 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Ohhhhh, this manga was a favorite of mine. Really scratched the same itch as Liar Game. If someone could toss me a spoiler, about how far in does the first season make it?
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    Ohhhhh, this manga was a favorite of mine. Really scratched the same itch as Liar Game. If someone could toss me a spoiler, about how far in does the first season make it?
    Spoiler: spoiler for endgame
    Show

No idea how the manga went, but here's a quick summary of the situation at the end:
    The last game of Season 1 has the Beach be destroyed. But all the non-face card Games have now been won, and games with face cards are now starting. The main character, female ally, and two others have sorta teamed up and seem to be looking forward to solving the face-card games.
    Also learned that "gamemasters" have been hidden among the "player" population, but it seems that gamemasters die if players win, so they're just as much trapped (or, well, almost as much) as the players. (Gamemaster is probably giving it too much credit, but people recruited to help create game stadiums and facilitate games and player deaths.)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Episode 8
    Show
    I knew who the Witch was as soon as the game was announced. I solved it the same way Arisu did knowing it was a hearts game. It couldn't be a fakeout there was no Witch because the game required a solution. There was only one person it could possibly be to cause the most mayhem easily solved if they were only rational in the beginning, but of course it was intended they be irrational.
    Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    Rules existing are a dire threat to the divine power of the DM.