New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: movies that shift genre

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    It's hard to put into words, so let me give a couple examples. If you want to see these movies, I highly recommend you not learn anything about them and watch them first. Not even the summary on Netflix (though even the cover of the movie jacket might ruin the first movie, but it's an old one anyhow)
    Spoiler: From Dusk Til Dawn
    Show

Action/Crime --> Horror
    I had no idea it had vampires or anything like that in it, so the shift took me completely by surprise and was awesome. I think the movie would have been so worse if I saw that coming.
    Funnily, I knew about this movie, and what its broad "real" theme was before I saw it, but when I did first see it, it was because I was randomly changing channels, and the film had started by a couple of minutes, and I just thought "cool, a George Clooney crime film, guess that'll do", and didn't realise what film it actually was. It was only at the turn point did I realise what film it was that I must be watching!

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

Cloud Atlas does this really well imo. It's not really a spoiler but I'll explain
    Spoiler
    Show
    The story follows different people in different times of human history. Each person's arc is told using wildly different genres

3. - Top - End - #33
    Pixie in the Playground

For my first post i would like to mention Howard The Duck movie. It starts with an alien who resembles a humanoid human duck getting teleport harpooned to earth. Fish out of water comedy. In the second act a diffrent alien gets zapped to earth. And this one is straight out of nightmares, he inhibits a human and starts mutating, eventually regaining his own horrible form. And he plans to zap his bretherens out of space(yeah, they dont inhibit a planet, they are from outer space) to really cut loose on earth. That alien, called the Dark Overlord really scared me as a kid, i remember it was awesome thou.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    Spoiler: From Dusk Til Dawn
    Show

Action/Crime --> Horror
    I had no idea it had vampires or anything like that in it, so the shift took me completely by surprise and was awesome. I think the movie would have been so worse if I saw that coming.
    There's action prior to the vampire part? I remember catching the end one day and deciding to watch it from the beginning to see what the setup was but then having to turn it off because the beginning was so boring. What happens in the middle?
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2021-04-03 at 02:12 PM.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

TV Tropes has a page for this; might be worth checking out. EDIT: Although it does not appear to be well-spoilered.

For an example I heartily recommend:

Spoiler: Knives Out
    Show
    Starts as a classic murder mystery. But then, it's revealed who did it, how they did it... and that they're a highly sympathetic character. We then spend most of the rest of the movie rooting for them as the detective works to unravel the case... and then it switches again, as it's revealed that what we knew wasn't the whole story, and there's a murder mystery here after all!
    Last edited by PoeticallyPsyco; 2021-04-03 at 06:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II