New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Question What is the appeal of prepared casting?

Greetings, all!

Aside from the fact that prepared casters (Wizards, Clerics, Druids, Archivists, and similar classes) get or tend to get most spell levels one character level sooner than their prepared counterparts (Sorcerer, Psion, Favored Soul, Spirit Shaman, etc.), and having played prepared and spontaneous casters . Note that not all prepared casters have something close to a 1:1 spontaneous counterpart: Psions and Erudites aren't merely spontaneous, power point-based ("mana") Wizards, though they can use some similar abilities and sometimes fill similar roles. Warlocks aren't just Sorcerers who can use a small number of spells/spell-like abilities known per day but at will, and so on.

Having played various games (tabletop and video), the appeal of spontaneous casting is greater. It's more fun, it's what video gamers have come to expect, it's what WotC put into D&D 5e (sometimes with the ability to switch spell preps between days for spontaneous casting), and it's likely also easier to understand. I understand prepared Vancian casting as a legacy thing of D&D - and later Pathfinder and other D&D offshoots which also sorta included Dark Souls - and that WotC was experimenting with spontaneous casting starting with 3.0's Sorcerer. Maybe there's some niche satisfaction in realizing or/and telling others, "I told you that I was right to prepare/use X in Y situation."

EDIT:
    To clarify, by prepared casting, I mean purely prepared casting instead of the mix of spontaneous casting (like with a Sorcerer) and prepared-plus-spontaneous casting (like with Pathfinder 1e's Arcanist or D&D 5e's prepared casters).

The question remains: What is the appeal of prepared casting?

Thankee!
    Last edited by Endarire; 2021-02-09 at 02:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by GPuzzle View Post
    And I do agree that the right answer to the magic/mundane problem is to make everyone badass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    If you're of a philosophical bent, the powergamer is a great example of Heidegger's modern technological man, who treats a game's mechanics as a standing reserve of undifferentiated resources that are to be used for his goals.
    My Complete Tome of Battle Maneuver/Stance/Class Overhaul

Arseplomancy = Fanatic Tarrasque!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: What is the appeal of prepared casting?

Since you posted this in 3.X....

Spontaneous casters locked you into your spell selection for at least 3 full levels. Wizards and clerics got to switch out spells every single day. As a sorc you took fireball 2 levels ago. Lets hope you can fireball something today, because that is all you have for that spell. The wizard one day preps haste, the next fireball, the next dispel magic, the next .... See where this is going? At least the wizard has to have a copy in his/her spellbook. The cleric has true free reign.

Prepared casters have the ability to be flexible. And got that flexibility earlier.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

Comparing both methods at face value, spontaneous casting is just better to play. You don't have to plan for 'maybes', you just use a slot to cast what you want. It's just stronger than prepared casting. That's why it has the drawbacks it does, you usually know a very very limited assortment of spells, while prepared doesn't care about that. Prepared casting lends itself to better campaign play, just because it doesn't have the strict 'spells known' restriction. That's also why many builds try to get some limited spontaneity to prepared casters, be it as a class feature like Spontaneous Conversion, or a feat like Uncanny Forethought. It's an attempt to get the best of both worlds.

So in short, the appeal of prepared casting is "not having the limitations that plague spontaneous casting". It's really not complicated.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Personally, I enjoy the metagame of trying to predict what spells I will need on a particular day. Or of just generally having a spread of spell choices that will work in most circumstances, if going into a situation blindly. It's like playing a private chess game against the DM.

Playing a wizard gives me the most excuse to really metagame as hard as I can, which is something I ordinarily try to avoid. So it's a nice change of pace.

Edited to Add:

The versatility of prepared casters who have access to many spells means that the challenge is to choose which spells to prepare. This gives the prepared caster the opportunity to generalize or to specialize for a given circumstance. Conversely, when playing a spontaneous caster with limited spells known, the challenge is to develop a spell list that is as broadly useful as possible, because they are stuck with the same spells no matter what happens.
    Last edited by KillianHawkeye; 2021-02-09 at 02:42 PM.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

5e casting wasn't widely available in 3.5e, so it isn't really fair to compare that to Wizard / Cleric / Druid.

The appeal of Wizard / Cleric / Druid is their power.

The Vancian casting is not particularly important, except that it's how those very powerful classes work.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    Personally, I enjoy the metagame of trying to predict what spells I will need on a particular day. Or of just generally having a spread of spell choices that will work in most circumstances, if going into a situation blindly. It's like playing a private chess game against the DM.

Playing a wizard gives me the most excuse to really metagame as hard as I can, which is something I ordinarily try to avoid. So it's a nice change of pace.
    This. I would rather have a wide range of spells that I get to choose from daily rather than a wide range of spells that I get to choose at level up.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Endarire View Post
    WotC was experimenting with spontaneous casting starting with 3.0's Sorcerer.

Thankee!
    WotC may have been experimenting with spontaneous casting starting with 3.0's Sorcerer, but D&D had various spontaneous casting mechanisms back in 2e, possibly earlier.

As a question in the 3e forum, it's kinda difficult to answer… the appeal of playing a Wizard / Cleric / etc? Oh, wait, no - Unearthed Arcana gave us some degree of spontaneous casting on those classes.

So… the only answer I can give for the possible appeal of prepared casting would be… the challenge, the rush of "I picked right!"?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

To put this a different way....

The difference between prepared and spontaneous casting is less important than the number of spells each one gets. The 3.5 sorcerer has relatively few spells known so he may be stuck throwing a bunch of fireballs to use an earlier example. If you compare that with (for example) a human or half elf PF sorcerer, where they get 27 extra spells known over their career, they can cover all probable bases and are really hurt much less by their method of spell preparation than by their delayed spell level access.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Speaking specifically about wizards here, it's planning. It feels very thematically appropriate to have the most intelligent, structured class (at least how wizardry is presented) to be very planning focused. Looking ahead, taking into consideration all information available to "predict" the future and tailor your powers accordingly feels really good for getting into the mindset of a wizard. And, on the other hand, having the genius be thwarted by something they couldn't / didn't foresee is very fitting.

Now, when it comes to clerics, it can be hit or miss. On city based clerics it fits; they leave most of their slots empty, and pray when need occurs. On adventuring clerics though... yeah. Sorry, my god won't intervene to save my life today, but he will offer me the ability to understand any language:P

Druids... it makes no sense at all. Druids always felt more instinctual, which would fit much more into a spontaneous model.
    Chaos is I.
    Evil is Me.
    Good is Us.
    Law is We.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Do you mean as a player for 3.x, or as a game designer?

For the former, it's because prepared casters can change their spells from day to day and spontaneous ones can't. That's worth sometimes having a sub-optimal choice prepared. Also at higher levels, prepared casters can have more versatility even within a day, thanks to high stats giving them a lot of slots.

For the latter, I probably wouldn't. It adds a resource puzzle that could be interesting, but IMO not enough to make up for the overhead. 5E-style casting (prepare X spells per day, cast Y spells per day from the ones you prepared) seems like a nice alternative.

I mean for that matter, if I was rebuilding casting there's a lot of cruft I'd cut. The spells themselves have plenty of tactical and strategic complexity, you don't need to add fiddly stuff like ten different DCs.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGirl

Edited to Add:

The versatility of prepared casters who have access to many spells means that the challenge is to choose which spells to prepare. This gives the prepared caster the opportunity to generalize or to specialize for a given circumstance. Conversely, when playing a spontaneous caster with limited spells known, the challenge is to develop a spell list that is as broadly useful as possible, because they are stuck with the same spells no matter what happens.
    Excellent synopsis, and also an excellent synopsis of why I personally hate all of the above, for precisely the same reasons.

I really dislike the Nostradamus metagame, as well as fiddling bookkeeping with regard to spellbooks and the crafting stuff that many (most?) good wizards occupy themselves with.

But I do enjoy the challenge of finding exactly the right panoply of spells for my particular sorcerer, and being able to easily do stuff like cast a useful spell many, many times if necessary. (If I had to do my sorcerer over again, though, I would have used scrolls and wands and such a lot more often to cover potential gaps. My guy had a merchant background and hated paying retail.)

So it's all up to what you want out of the game and what you want to avoid.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

At least for 3.5, unless building on a theme, most conpotent sorcerers are going to have almost identical spells chosen. Barring cheese, looking at sorc 20, you get so few spells you need to have very broadly applicible selections, especially being playable 1 to 20. Fireball is fine but haste is better. Polymorph is always going to be chosen. Alter Self likely as well. As many of your spells need to be modal so you have answers because you get so little.

Take any 20 sorcerers of players of reasonably similar op fu and you will get very similar lists. Becuase if you do not, you are left being useless if your specific answer spell does not cut it, and it will not.

Whilst a prepared caster can leave a few slots open to fill as needed. With a general adventuring loadout that is likely similar to a sorcerers greatest hits, but with the slots and capabilities to have that silver bullet as needed.

Ease of list expansion as well for prepared; its a scroll away to be permanently yours, or you know everything already.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

Prepared casting is the ultimate "I got this." You can prepare any spell you need given enough time. "Hey look, there's a prismatic wall here. Give me some time to memorize the needed spells to bypass them." Good luck having all the required spells as a sorcerer.

It's also perfect for situations that come up infrequently. "Oh no, the object we're looking for is at the bottom of a lake? I got this." "We're fighting an ice dragon today and a fire dragon tomorrow? I got this." "We need to interrogate a prisoner? I got this."

A sorcerer has to pick spells that are as broad ad possible. When was the last time you saw a sorc take water breathing? Or locate object? Or any other rarely used spells? Prepared casters can solve problems sorcs will never bother to.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Efrate View Post
    At least for 3.5, unless building on a theme, most conpotent sorcerers are going to have almost identical spells chosen. Barring cheese, looking at sorc 20, you get so few spells you need to have very broadly applicible selections, especially being playable 1 to 20. Fireball is fine but haste is better. Polymorph is always going to be chosen. Alter Self likely as well. As many of your spells need to be modal so you have answers because you get so little.

Take any 20 sorcerers of players of reasonably similar op fu and you will get very similar lists. Becuase if you do not, you are left being useless if your specific answer spell does not cut it, and it will not.

Whilst a prepared caster can leave a few slots open to fill as needed. With a general adventuring loadout that is likely similar to a sorcerers greatest hits, but with the slots and capabilities to have that silver bullet as needed.

Ease of list expansion as well for prepared; its a scroll away to be permanently yours, or you know everything already.
    I take none of the spells you mentioned as must haves. I LOVE my illusion based sorc, I also enjoy my cold based sorc, fire based sorc, summon based sorc, luck based sorc...

I have played dozens of sorcs and deliberately avoid having more than 4 or 5 repeats.

I love sorcs. Especially in pf.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

This exactly. A L20 sorc knows 43 spells by default. A wizard knows more cantrips than that, and that is the thinnest level. There are more than 100 9th level spells just in the regular books. Will I ever cast Silent Portal? I have no idea on any particular character, but I have used it in the past. I've used Hunters of Hades (9th) to summon a Retriever, a spell I can't imagine a sorc ever taking.

And if I can't find a spell to do what I want (to pick a random idea - a spell that works like Stoneskin, but ONLY on piercing damage - no I have no idea why I'd want that), I research a new one. Maybe I'll only use it once. Ever. But I have that option. Just shell out 4,000gp (I don't see a reason for it to be any higher level than 4th) and put it in my book.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

1 - The gameplay feels thematic for the studious/scholarly theme of the D&D wizard. Much less so for other classes like druid and cleric. For the cleric in particular it's terrible -- implication of being a miracle working priest is that you ask your god for blessings and miracles as needed. Doesn't feel thematic for clerics to prepare ahead of time. There's room for some "pray at dawn" stuff in their gameplay but it shouldn't dominate. One simple fix is instead of giving them domain slots let them cast their domain spells spontaneously in addition to cure/inflict -- matches the idea that they can ask their god spontaneously for miracles but only in relation to that deity's powers.

2 - It's a way of trying to balance giving a character an unlimited list of spells known.

Personally I think arcanist-style casting is a happy medium -- one of the best things to come from PF and one of the best changes in 5e. IMO it also dissolves the need for sor and wiz to be separate classes, though 5e they didn't go that far. Happy to see Vancian die going forward.
    Join the 3.5e Discord server: https://discord.gg/ehGFz6M3nJ

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Having played plenty of prepared casters, the appeal of "I know this rarely-used spell and can finally cast it usefully!" has been there, but rarely used. Why? Because broadly-applicable spells are the default thoughts of the player after enough practice. You could use water breathing or fly + haste and probably get a similar effect.

I know Pathfinder 1e was generally very kind to spontaneous casters due to more spells per known via favored class bonuses and extra spontaneity via paragon surge, Emergency Attunement, Razmiran Priest, Mnemonic Vestments, and the like.
    Last edited by Endarire; 2021-02-09 at 10:50 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by GPuzzle View Post
    And I do agree that the right answer to the magic/mundane problem is to make everyone badass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    If you're of a philosophical bent, the powergamer is a great example of Heidegger's modern technological man, who treats a game's mechanics as a standing reserve of undifferentiated resources that are to be used for his goals.
    My Complete Tome of Battle Maneuver/Stance/Class Overhaul

Arseplomancy = Fanatic Tarrasque!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

After playing 3.X for so long, and then playing a lot of 5e the last couple years, I have come to appreciate both systems. The chess game as mentioned above is also fun in 3e.

In 3e, prepared casters could always leave a slot or two open each day in case they came across a problem they needed a certain spell for. Spend some time praying/studying, bam cast it.

In 5e we have a similar dynamic, but being able to prepare 1 fireball and cast is 3-4 times is really good. It makes the spontaneous casters have a smaller toolkit, but more versatility with it; while prepared casters have a much bigger toolkit, but less versatility if they guess wrong for any given day.

Remember the strength of wizards/archivists is also their limitation. They only get so many spells from leveling and need scrolls/spellbooks for the rest.

I will be part of a 3.X game soon where half (or more) of the players have ZERO 3e experience, so the DM was toying around with the 5e rules for prepared casters (prepare class level + ability mod spells per day), but remove abilities of clerics/druids to "spontaneously cast a cure/SNA spell" by sacrificing a prepared slot, so they have to prepare one of those spells to cast it. You could always prepare/cast a lower spell in a higher slot in 3e, but you got no benefit from it without metamagic. It will be interesting to see how this works.

Sorcerers/Favored Souls have 15 spells known at 10th, while Wizards/Clerics/Druids would be able to prepare 10+Mod spells per day. This changes to 34 spells known and C/D/W to 20+mod at 20th. However cleric and druid have to dedicate slots to SNA and "cure" spells.
    Last edited by Zaile; 2021-02-09 at 11:30 PM.
    Signature verification required.

Latest Homebrew: The Battledancer 5e Dragonfire Adept 5e

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

I really like the Spirit Shaman approach. You get prepared spell level progression and spell selection per day while keeping the spontaneous ability. The only negative is the number of spells you get to select per day. It is possible to get spell preparation and to increase the number of spells you can select per day though.

20. - Top - End - #20

OldWizardGuy

Well I don't think there is an appeal in general. Its however the better version of the two between wizard and sorcerer, so its relative. In general, the arcanist from the Netherese boxed set would be the most appealing, and the Beholder Mage being second most appealing.

But of the two we generally have as the most dominating, the wizard is better/ more appealing because it has a lot more versatility... Also the Vancian spell system goes way back, so there's that too!
    Last edited by Melcar; 2021-02-10 at 01:06 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by chaotic stupid View Post
    tippy's posted, thread's over now

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Playing an RPG (or really, any game that isn't a sport) is simply a long series of decisions to make.

For a prepared caster, choosing what spells to memorize is part of that long series of decisions.

And it's a part I enjoy. It can be done well or poorly, just like deciding how to fight a melee. And it's a challenge. You are basing your decision on incomplete information. You know your party's plans, and what part of the world you're in, but you don't know the exact encounters.

[In my current game, we're going through a swamp, looking to defeat a fae. So my wizard always has Junglerazer ready. Sometimes that has been a perfect choice, sometimes it has been useless, and I need to get creative with the other spells I have. Either way, that's part of the fun of the game.]

This is similar to poker, where I have to decide to call, raise, or fold knowing my hand but not my opponents' hands.

The challenge of making that decision is part of the fun of the game -- at least for me.

But if it isn't fun for you, then play spontaneous casters. There's no reason you should have to enjoy what I enjoy.

But there's no reason I should have to enjoy what you enjoy, either.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    Playing an RPG (or really, any game that isn't a sport) is simply a long series of decisions to make.

For a prepared caster, choosing what spells to memorize is part of that long series of decisions.

And it's a part I enjoy. It can be done well or poorly, just like deciding how to fight a melee. And it's a challenge. You are basing your decision on incomplete information. You know your party's plans, and what part of the world you're in, but you don't know the exact encounters.

[In my current game, we're going through a swamp, looking to defeat a fae. So my wizard always has Junglerazer ready. Sometimes that has been a perfect choice, sometimes it has been useless, and I need to get creative with the other spells I have. Either way, that's part of the fun of the game.]

This is similar to poker, where I have to decide to call, raise, or fold knowing my hand but not my opponents' hands.

The challenge of making that decision is part of the fun of the game -- at least for me.

But if it isn't fun for you, then play spontaneous casters. There's no reason you should have to enjoy what I enjoy.

But there's no reason I should have to enjoy what you enjoy, either.
    Very well said, and I have to agree even if I don't have the head for it myself. I like the idea that power and versatility should come at cost, effort, and risk. Prepared Vancian casting almost maximizes all of those. To an extent, you can even raise one to reduce the other two. Honestly, it makes it extremely easy to increase the power level of spellcasting without having to turn things into resource sponges. I can't say D&D did a good job balancing, but that has more to do with value tweaks and communication rather than the system as a whole.

23. - Top - End - #23

I love the sheer versatility that comes with prepared casters.

As a wizard, if our party is about to embark upon a sea voyage, I can spend some time to scribe in lots of spells that will be useful in aquatic terrain (allowing people to breathe in water, giving favorable winds to the sails, making sure that the fighter doesn't sink if he falls overboard, etc) and completely tailor my spell-list to those surroundings and likely dangers. If I were a Sorcerer, maybe I picked a spell or two earlier that might be useful, but otherwise I'm stuck with scrolls and trying to solve all problems with a hammer.

As a cleric, I can swap my spell list completely from day to day, having anti-evil outsiders loadout on one day, and switch to anti-undead repertoire the next day. And if the next day we're staying in the city and attending a fancy party, I can probably swap out a lot of spells too to help with that.

Simply put, magic is a tool. A spontaneous caster gets a toolbelt, where the quality depends on their choices. Prepared casters gets the entire toolbox in addition to the toolbelt.
    RHoD: Soah | SC: Green Sparrow | WotBS: Sheliya |RoW: Raani | SA: Ariste | IG: Hemali | RoA: Abelia | WftC: Elize | Zeitgeist: Rutile
    Mystara: Othariel | Vette | Scarlet

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Thematically the prepared caster works better if you sometimes run away from a foe or only partially deal with a group of similar foes or some other situation. Like the 60’s tv cartoon spider man, you can lick your wounds and then be much better prepared the next day with exactly the right (web formula) spells for the job. That is kind of a cool feeling.

Also, it fits lawful characters thematically to prepare things in advance.

Also as stated above it is good for those who don’t scour the internet to choose the best spells via optimization handbooks. If you just “learn as you go” a prepared caster is more forgiving of the “wrong” spell choice than a spontaneous caster. You just switch it out the next day.

Btw, there is a cleric variant in phb II iirc that allows clerics to give up cure/inflict spontaneous casting to instead have spontaneous casting for one domain. They also can prepare cure/inflict spells in the domain slot.
    Last edited by Particle_Man; 2021-02-12 at 12:23 AM.

Light the lamp not the rat LIGHT THE LAMP NOT THE RAT!!!

25. - Top - End - #25

My opinions have been covered pretty well by other posters but I want to touch on utility a little more.
    Barring a few esoteric tricks, a prepared caster, especially a cleric or druid has far more utility than any implementation of spontaneous casting.

You can pick spells that are useful only once and prepare those. You can pick spells that are useful once every few days and prepare those up front. You can prepare just one copy of spells that will only be useful once a day, you can gamble on a few really situational spells that might pay of in a big way.
    And none of this consumes permanent build resources or even daily resources in a meaningful way.

My favored soul never bothered learning celestial brilliance since you only cast it once every week or two.

My sorcerer won't be using illusionary wall to create a safehouse within the dungeon or learning heart of stone for a minor but permanent buff.

Meanwhile my wizard can happily cast 3 or 4 situational buffs every morning on top of the generically useful stuff and still learn the handful of spells that grant you a minor thematic bonus just for learning them.
    I am rel.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

I enjoy the challenge of adapting the slapdash collection of spells I pick at the beginning of a day/session to any situation we encounter.

Grease is brilliant, so damn many uses...not least of which is just dumping all over some snooty bigoted noble and their rediculous finery...
    "There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter."
    ~ Ernest Hemingway

2021 2022 2023 2024

Dwarf Magus (Deep Marshal) spell list

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

I can think of two reasons: 'being true to Vancian spellcasting' or 'the freedom to choose which spells you have each given day' both of which are my reasons.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2021-02-12 at 03:18 AM.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

28. - Top - End - #28

I will say though that I prefer spontaneous casters for my NPCs/enemies as it just makes it easier for me to deal with as a GM. Choose what they have, that's it, cast as many times as desired (or until they run out, but usually they die before running out ).
    RHoD: Soah | SC: Green Sparrow | WotBS: Sheliya |RoW: Raani | SA: Ariste | IG: Hemali | RoA: Abelia | WftC: Elize | Zeitgeist: Rutile
    Mystara: Othariel | Vette | Scarlet

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Endarire View Post
    Greetings, all!

Aside from the fact that prepared casters (Wizards, Clerics, Druids, Archivists, and similar classes) get or tend to get most spell levels one character level sooner than their prepared counterparts (Sorcerer, Psion, Favored Soul, Spirit Shaman, etc.), and having played prepared and spontaneous casters . Note that not all prepared casters have something close to a 1:1 spontaneous counterpart: Psions and Erudites aren't merely spontaneous, power point-based ("mana") Wizards, though they can use some similar abilities and sometimes fill similar roles. Warlocks aren't just Sorcerers who can use a small number of spells/spell-like abilities known per day but at will, and so on.

Having played various games (tabletop and video), the appeal of spontaneous casting is greater. It's more fun, it's what video gamers have come to expect, it's what WotC put into D&D 5e (sometimes with the ability to switch spell preps between days for spontaneous casting), and it's likely also easier to understand. I understand prepared Vancian casting as a legacy thing of D&D - and later Pathfinder and other D&D offshoots which also sorta included Dark Souls - and that WotC was experimenting with spontaneous casting starting with 3.0's Sorcerer. Maybe there's some niche satisfaction in realizing or/and telling others, "I told you that I was right to prepare/use X in Y situation."

EDIT:
    To clarify, by prepared casting, I mean purely prepared casting instead of the mix of spontaneous casting (like with a Sorcerer) and prepared-plus-spontaneous casting (like with Pathfinder 1e's Arcanist or D&D 5e's prepared casters).

Thankee!
    The appeal of prepared casting is the smug look on the gm face when none of your prepared spells helps you.
    Also the fact you can have tons of different spells each day and adapt in one hour to new situations by preparing in your empty slots(ex: you find a magical item and you prepare identify at the last minute).
    Last edited by noob; 2021-02-13 at 09:02 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    The appeal of prepared casting is the smug look on the gm face when none of your prepared spells helps you.
    As opposed to the smug look on the gm face when none of the known spells of a spontaneous caster are helpful?

Light the lamp not the rat LIGHT THE LAMP NOT THE RAT!!!