New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default Finding test readers/editors

I think I like to take a stab at self publishing a fantasy book. I think it's quite good, but unfortunately nothing unique in the theme or focusing on characters or plot types that appear to be in demand right now. I've also read and re-read it a lot on my own so that I know I need some new eyes and points of view to polish it up to its best version.

Do you guys know how I would find some folks willing to be test readers/editors? I really don't have any money to spare right now for a professional service.

Thanks
    I’ve known people who play chess like this. They can’t think their way to a checkmate, so they spend their time trying to clear the board of the little pieces. This eventually reduces the game to a simplicity they can grasp, and they’re happy. The perfect war is a fool’s mate.
    -Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

ranger avitar created from site paladin avatar

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Finding test readers/editors

Honestly your best bet would probably be to ask your close family and friends to look over you and give their opinions. The chances of finding someone who could do it who actually knows how to proofread and edit as skills to do it for free is almost impossible. And the skill level of random people online is most likely not going to be much higher than that of people you already know. So it would probably just be easier to ask for a favor from people you already know in real life. Easier to trust them than Randoms anyway.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Necrowolf View Post
    Honestly your best bet would probably be to ask your close family and friends to look over you and give their opinions.
    Thanks for the advice. Already asked most of the fantasy liking friends I have. I just had hoped there was a resource I hadn't heard of or some folk willing to give feedback that didn't already know me (and as such might be a little biased). Maybe I'll try to hit up my friends who don't like fantasy novels and see what happens.

Thanks again.
    I’ve known people who play chess like this. They can’t think their way to a checkmate, so they spend their time trying to clear the board of the little pieces. This eventually reduces the game to a simplicity they can grasp, and they’re happy. The perfect war is a fool’s mate.
    -Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

ranger avitar created from site paladin avatar

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

Unfortunatley its not a free service but you can go to Fiverr and explore there for proofreaders and editors. Its a freelance website where people offer their varying talents for whatever prices. I am a little hesitant to recommend it since there isn't an absolute guarantee of quality, but there are a couple of cheap options you can find there if you really feel your work needs an outside pair of eyes. Make sure you research a little though, everyone on there is a freelancer and they all have varying degrees of quality on their work