New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: Darkness Rising (PTU)

Eira tenses to attack as the Soul Eater looks away, but stops before jumping forwards. Clan Weavile picks their battles; they don't leap into fights they cannot win unless they are forced, and prefer sneak attacks and decisive advantage over a straight fight at all times. From the questions and actions of the three other people she has been traveling with, none of them are ready to do what is needed here and destroy this threat. She and Eops may be able to beat him themselves, but there are also that school of Wishiwashi to consider...

So the Soul Eater continues to speak, and Eira lets loose a noise of disgust by accident. This creature openly admits to working with the people who have been trying to kill us and destroy Jirachi, and now he shows that he consorts with spirits as well, Eira sends through the mental link to everyone, refusing to speak aloud. Why are we still speaking with him?

Another trace of discomfort and dissonance threads through her thoughts, another memory out of line with her actions; she had heard stories about Clan Glalie, the people who fostered her and many of whom she considered friends, consorting with just the same type of spirit. Is there nothing and no one that I can trust?
    Originally Posted by Xefas:
    "I need the Goblins in phalanx arrangement. Sky Blotters in the back! Swissles? Assume the Swizzle Stick Formation! We're going in!"
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #512
    Titan in the Playground

Moghu glares at Narrander, making no effort to conceal his feelings towards the shaman. There was likely nothing Narrander could do to atone for what he did to the Paras, and if it weren't for the precious cargo that the group was carrying, Moghu likely would have left already.

As Narrander explained his story about Spiritomb, Moghu looked at the crystal with some level of doubt. They had already proven they could purge Fenris' influence using Jirachi's power, but if Narrander could be trusted this was something much older and much more dangerous. Even more, there was almost no real way to confirm that this was what Narrander claimed, although it would be an odd way to lay a trap.

Velitus, Moghu says, lowering his voice from a shout at the moment. Is the crystal what he claims?
    Props to Ceika for the new and improved avatar!

Spoiler: Quotes
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by IrnBruAddict
    Yeah, but Arcran is the GM. Can we be sure of anything?
    I always picture Arc as LE, with CE tendancies
    Quote Originally Posted by Espirit15
    Arc is a good GM. Evil, but a good GM

3. - Top - End - #513
    Ettin in the Playground

~Because if we attack him, the people of this tribe will be more than happy to lead Fenris straight to us,~ Velitus replied to Eira. ~The moment we came into this tent our path was set. The only way this doesn't end poorly for us is if Narrander truly is, by some extraordinary circumstance, on our side, and if Fenris doesn't simply have some means of coercing his obedience anyway. And I would rather deal with someone we can make some distance from - and have no qualms attacking if he turns against us - than innocent people who would believe we are every bit the criminals Fenris is painting us to be and who would be on our heels in an instant.~

He turned his attention back to the opal.

"I've heard of Spiritomb before," he said, slowly. "The stories claim it can grant power. But how to identify whether something is a fragment of a myth wasn't exactly something I was taught. Certainly, this could be a fragment of Spiritomb. It would explain the darkness they sensed from it. But the only way to determine it for sure would be to examine it in more detail, which would also make it the perfect story to bait one of us into touching something cursed with malevolent Soul Eater magic." His voice could best be described as cool - not overtly hostile, but Narrander certainly hadn't won any sympathy from the young shaman.

~You have a stronger connection to Jirachi than we do,~ he added telepathically to Laeo. ~What do you make of his claim?~
    "Follow the moonwalking Nosepass!"
    "Can you put the lich in a box?"

4. - Top - End - #514
    Ettin in the Playground

Narrander said nothing as your conversations, both verbal and mental, progressed. He did, however, move closer to the hole in the floor where his Wishiwashi still swarmed, agitated from the raised voices from earlier.

At Velitus's suggestion, Laeo and the other guides moved closer to the stone. Laeo landed ... next to it, which was astounding. Normally he would prefer to sit on whatever he was examining. Sheeba, as always, flitted around rapidly. Slight soundwaves shot through the air as he examined it with sound. Sinen was slower, more deliberate, while Eops stalked the stone like prey.

In a moment, almost like when they healed the Mudbray girl, something changed in the air. Ice crept across the table, and the air rippled with a spun thread of sound. The scent of earth and mushrooms saturated the air, accompanying a boquet of florals. The darkness pulsating in the room wove with strands of light, twining into the stone.

The voices in the air faded, leaving you with nothing but the ghosts of the promise of power and prestige that they filled your ears with. You could almost hear them even now, now that their power was bound, locked away. It was sealed, unable to affect the world. But it was not broken. Not destroyed. Not vanquished back to the realm it came from. Your guides were not powerful enough for that. Not yet at least.

And just like that, the room could breathe again.
    Many thanks to Ceika for the wonderful avatar.

Aatos My medieval pokemon setting.

Games I'm in:
    Spoiler
    Show

Johto: Guardians of Legends as Julius Varro

World at War (PTA) as Francis May

GM of Exploring Aatos a Medieval PTA game.

5. - Top - End - #515
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Jayce felt the change in the air with a shudder. It really was not unlike the way he felt interacting with the the echolocation of Sheba and even the Guru. But his friends added their own power to it as well, and it was different in other ways.

"What does all this mean? Are we meant to do that to all the Soul eaters? Seal their power?"

6. - Top - End - #516
    Titan in the Playground

Moghu instinctively moves to defend Sinen when the air in the room changes, prioritizing her above all else. When the comprehension that they could do little to the crystal at the moment, Moghu glared at Narrander for no particular reason. More than that, Moghu couldn't help but wonder how they were supposed to survive when the four of them couldn't even handle the power of a single Soul Eater. Fenris was already after the four of them and, if word of their Guides spread to the others, there would likely be more than that.

Sinen, what do you need to be able to deal with this crystal? Moghu asks, trying to keep most of the edge out of his voice when talking to his Paras. Could we just shatter the crystal and kill the creature inside?

Show

7. - Top - End - #517
    Ettin in the Playground

I can't say that you're meant to do anything or not. Jirachi grants wishes. The Lati twins supposedly gave quests, but that was long, long ago. I think you were gifted with power, and what you do with it is up to you. He glanced at the stone, and said.

It feels like its been sealed, but I still wouldn't touch it with your bare hands. Some things are better left untested.

Moghu
    Sinen climbed into your lap, clicking contendedly. She seemed quite tired from the exertions, but managed one last message before she began a nap. Don't smash it. When I grow stronger I should be able to handle him, but I am still a baby, remember?

Games I'm in:
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #518
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

Velitus' logical answer irks Eira, more because it is sensible than because she can find anything wrong with it. So we're forced to depend on the charity of others once again, she thinks, more to herself than anyone. I can begin to see why my father is so leery of entanglement beyond family; all it causes is bigger problems than you can solve or run from.

Eira watches the exchange over the Spiritomb fragment warily, approving of Eops' stance towards the rock. Once it is more sealed, however, she looks over the thing again closely, noting the whispers and the old shaman's words of power. This thing is an evil creature, obviously, and if it has control it would wreak havoc, but if they have to carry it anyways... perhaps one day, they can use it.

Moving on an impulse in an effort to burn off the energy she had in her when preparing for a fight, Eira stretches out a hand over the Opal, her palm only about an inch or so away from the stone. Slowly, frost begins to form, coating the rock in a steadily thickening layer of ice as Eira works to push her powers to cover the thing. Once the rock within is all-but-obscured by the lightly-steaming ice, Eira relaxes, her hand reaching down to grab the stone. She nearly touches it before hesitating again. Without taking her eyes away from the Soul Eater, she calls back mentally, Moghu, do you still have the pelt from that Gumshoos? I can keep this thing frozen if it's near me, but I don't know if that makes it actually safe to touch. I can trade you my Victreebel acid for the pelt.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Eira is using the Freezer capability to freeze the Fire Opal, if that's allowed.
    "I need the Goblins in phalanx arrangement. Sky Blotters in the back! Swissles? Assume the Swizzle Stick Formation! We're going in!"
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #519
    Ettin in the Playground

As Eira put her hand over the gem, ice began to creep onto the rock's surface. However, if Eira's power was normally one for making crude and sharp implements of combat, this ice quickly grew beyond her capacity to make. In moments, the gem was encased in a perfectly translucent, cut gemstone of ice, with the fire opal pulsing at its center. It was precise and beautiful, and not at all like what Eira has made in the past.

Eira
    As you worked, you felt a single strand of the darkness reach through your ice to you, and a voice whispered in your ears. It was at once the same and the anthithesis of Eops, a like experience of utterly different sources.

It's voice crooned in your mind, and you felt the tug of its power, calling it to use it. To take what power it might be years or decades before you possessed for your own.

Ahhhhhhh, it has been soooooo looong since someone has useddddd me

Didn't that feel gooooooood? Didn't that feel like sooooooomething new and powerfullll. And that was jusssst a hint of my powerrrr, a single soulllll giving you aid. Imagine what you could dooo with allllll seventeen of usssss at your disposalllll.

Moving statuessss of ice

The power of glacierssss at your fingertipssss

The knowledggggggge of who elsssseee in your clan has used my powwwwerrrrr.

All it takessss is breaking the seallll when we're alone togetherrrrr

Think about it Eirrrrrrrrrrra

Think about itttttttt

Thinkkkkkkkkkk

Games I'm in:
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #520
    Titan in the Playground

Moghu hands over the pelt without question, looking at the perfectly encased opal with no small amount of awe. Even though he'd been traveling with Eira and Velitus for some time, their magic never failed to impress him.

With that, Moghu looks back to Narrander. So what do you propose we do? Take the stone to the Lati Shrine, and see if they can provide further guidance?

Show

11. - Top - End - #521
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

Eira snatches her hand back from the opal, staring at it. She quickly works to school her expression, but her eyes remain shadowed. The rush of power had been... she could walk out in a blizzard with that kind of power and hunt as though it were a summer's day. She could sneak back towards Fenris and freeze him solid, removing the greatest threat to their safety and wiping one of the Soul Eaters off the map. She could hunt down the Soul Eater in her own Clan, facing them where her powers would be strongest, and drag them into the light so that her Clan would know their betrayal before destroying them.

She could rebuild the Scrawl, reinforce it, make sure that the etchings still stand out sharp and clear for centuries to come.

And all of it would come at the cost of trusting a Ghost to grant her its power, to trust it not to betray her to serve its own dark master.

A small, humorless smile flits across Eira's mouth for just a moment before vanishing again. Even though she has been traveling with Jirachi and special spiritual guides, even though she has been pursued by a shapeshifting monster taking the form of a human and coming across twisted amalgamations of Pokemon and human, this is the first time she really feels like she has fallen into one of the ancient stories that her mother used to sing in the darkness when she was young. The Soul Eaters weren't the first to trust in the dubious help of Ghosts, and such stories never ended well. The teaching of years in childhood comes back to her now, and she knows better than to accept the offer of the thing covered in ice in front of her.

Of course, that decision is easy to make in the light of day, in a hut where no true danger seems apparent, surrounded by people who would be horrified by the very thought of what she could be contemplating.

Eira takes the Gumshoos pelt from Moghu when it's offered, wrapping up the eerie ice gem and its dangerous cargo tightly without ever letting any bit of her skin touch the thing. She stashes the bundle deep in her bag, determined in herself not to take the Spiritomb's whispered advice. She would not think about it.

The thoughts came, all the same, though she could push them away for now.
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #522
    Ettin in the Playground

I doubt even those at the Lati Shrine will know what to do about that thing. But they can point you towards the Cave of the World Spirit, where Arceus itself resides. That's why you're looking for them to begin with, correct?

Narrander's tea pot whistled once more and he limped over to it, taking it off the fire. I am sorry for the damage the fire I set caused. Someday, I am sure that I will face justice, perhaps even at your hands. However, I hope today is not that day, for my Clan needs me, and after what I've seen, I don't think I would be able to fight back. Not without killing you in the process, and that would be ... ill advised considering your position as the ones capable of finishing what I was unable to.

And we all know that running isn't exactly an option for me anymore.

So, what will it be? Moghu? Eira? Velitus? Jayce? What's to be done with me?

Games I'm in:
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #523
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

Eira makes sure that the chunk of opal is fully hidden away in her pack, loath to leave even the tiniest thread of her power as a channel between herself and it until she has to reinforce the ice. She carefully does not look at the Soul Eater, locking eyes with Eops and gesturing with her head to come back to her side.

"Come on," she says allowed, unable to trust her mental voice so soon after her... encounter with the beings in the gem. "We have a raft waiting."
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show