New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Darkness Rising (PTU)

~So they're all like you?~ Velitus asked Laeo, regarding the other three totem Pokemon. It didn't take him long to notice the wounds on the others, though. "It wasn't a bird for me, but...were you attacked by the Soul Eaters as well?" he hazarded. He was already beginning to retrieve various healing poultices and so on from his belongings, beckoning Hana over so he could treat the lingering aftereffects of the Beautifly's spores.
    "Follow the moonwalking Nosepass!"
    "Can you put the lich in a box?"

2. - Top - End - #362
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

I asked for this, Eira thinks in a resigned sort of bemusement as she listens to Eops speak about the other travelers and herself. She isn't upset at the circumstances, by any means--though the scar on Eops' forehead still bothers her a bit more than she'd be willing to admit--but the messenger of Jirachi's formal language and seeming familiarity with all of the others is throwing her off a little bit. Well, you've got me beat by several centuries, she responds dryly, looking over the group that she's known for roughly a week.

"I don't think you have to worry about whatever you fought, Moghu," she responds to the uncharacteristically excited Paras Clansman, herself appearing more taciturn and withdrawn. "That felt like a vision, or a dream situation, rather than reality; though the wounds remained, more's the pity." She carefully does not touch the frozen gash at her side, ignoring its dulled sting.

"This is Eops," she says to the group, introducing her new Sneasel and half expecting her to bow to them upon introduction. "Looks like she's going to guide me too, but I'm starting to think that Jirachi granting wishes is more of a 'do it yourself' kind of thing.

"The ice it broke into made a shape like Fenris had, but... it was a Sneasel for me,"
    Eira responds to Velitus, her voice growing even more subdued at the memory of the two Sneasel fighting.
    Last edited by Zelphas; 2021-04-27 at 03:44 PM.
    Originally Posted by Xefas:
    "I need the Goblins in phalanx arrangement. Sky Blotters in the back! Swissles? Assume the Swizzle Stick Formation! We're going in!"
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #363
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Jayce follows carefully and remains alert to his surroundings. Still his guide seemed to know where she was going, a virtue of echo location, no doubt. This must be how it feels to be a full clan Zubat guide, effortlessly navigating the dark. Even though he could see better in the dark than most, his guide could "see" around the twists and turns for who knows how far.

That's very impressive... can I call you Sheba? Jayce asks in his head as they depart from the mists. He takes a moment to take stock of everyone and breathe in the fresh air. "Maybe our new guides know more about where we found them. And I really hope it isn't normal for us to be so easily separated. Looking around and not knowing where I went was very scary. Can the Soul Eaters use these hidden paths to get at us unaware?"

"Still, I feel better already with our guides now. I'm just not used to all this Jirachi magic." Jayce looks up at the sky and tries to determine how much time they lost while in some other realm.
    Last edited by CateranEnforcer; 2021-04-28 at 01:56 PM.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Ettin in the Playground

Moghu

It is safe to rest here. We were hundreds of miles away in the Deep Forest. Now we are in the Open Forest. They cannot reach us here. Sinen thought at you. She didn't seem to think her words were anything remarkable, and she skittered off your shoulders to go and greet Jayce's Zubat.

Velitus

Well, not quite like me, Laeo said. I'm probably most like Sinen or Eops, though they both prefer a more blunt approach than me to things. Sheba is ... a ball of energy. Based on the way Jayce's Zubat was zooming around before greeting Moghu's Paras, you assumed it was Sheba. However, when the Sneasel came up to greet Laeo, he quickly floated onto the Icy pokemon's head as if it were totally natural.

Eira

Are you calling me old? Eops though. You were pretty sure the Pokemon was being sarcastic, and he didn't seem mad. Instead he raced over to greet Velitus's Comfey, who had to be the smallest little pokemon you'd ever seen.

Jayce

Oooooohhhhh, I like that name! Sheba gushed as she flew in tight circles around your body, looking a bit like a tornado. And we should be safe for now. As long as they don't get the Crystal, they shouldn't be able to harness Jirachi's magic ... Oh it's Sinen! And without another thought in the world Sheba was off, greeting the Paras and nibbling at one of the insects that had landed on her mushrooms.
    Many thanks to Ceika for the wonderful avatar.

Aatos My medieval pokemon setting.

Games I'm in:
    Spoiler
    Show

Johto: Guardians of Legends as Julius Varro

World at War (PTA) as Francis May

GM of Exploring Aatos a Medieval PTA game.

5. - Top - End - #365
    Ettin in the Playground

~You know each other already?~ Velitus asked, though he didn't actually wait for an answer before another thought struck him. ~Actually, come to think of it, if you can talk to me, can you and the others translate what other Pokemon say for us? Or at least what they mean?~

By this point he'd ground up a few small bits of various berries and leaves into a fairly thin mush, which he was letting drip from his fingers onto Hana, the Milcery almost visibly changing colour as the spores were wiped away as the medicine flowed through her liquid body.

"Oh, um, if any of the rest of you got hurt, I can look at your wounds," he offered - and then paused a moment as he realised that he'd made the same offer, almost word for word, back on the raft. So much had changed since then. "I could do more if we didn't have to worry about conserving supplies," he admitted, "but just what we have around us should be enough to help with minor wounds."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Velitus will drain 1AP to use his First Aid Kit to cure Hana's paralysis, and heal her a little bit: (3d6)[10]
    Last edited by Llyarden; 2021-04-30 at 05:41 AM.

6. - Top - End - #366
    Titan in the Playground

Moghu blinks slowly at Sinen's statement. If Jirachi was capable of sending them that far to meet their guides, why wasn't he teleporting them directly towards the mountain? Or was that magic only possible when they made a wish? Why did none of us wish to get Jirachi to safety? Moghu thought, looking at the crystal with a guilty look. Removing fire was important, but was it more important than defending Jirachi? Sinen certainly didn't seem to think so...

When Sheba landed on Sinen Moghu instinctively moved to defend the Paras, before realizing that they were just playing. When Jayce offered to heal, Moghu simply shook his head. Podax and I are fine, and Sinen has already been healed, Moghu states, looking at the injured party. Sinen says it is safe to rest here, if we wish. It sounds like we were not truly here when we met the Soul Eater's creations, he adds. According to her I was several hundred miles away, within the Deep Forest. They should not be able to find us here.
    Props to Ceika for the new and improved avatar!

Spoiler: Quotes
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by IrnBruAddict
    Yeah, but Arcran is the GM. Can we be sure of anything?
    I always picture Arc as LE, with CE tendancies
    Quote Originally Posted by Espirit15
    Arc is a good GM. Evil, but a good GM

7. - Top - End - #367

RedKnightGirl

Jayce was a little exasperated at Sheba's inability to focus, but he supposed they were safe for the moment. Their excursion still worried him greatly and he hoped that would be the last time he was spirited away without knowing. He shook he head at Moghu's explanation. "Miles away, yet we return here? And had we not arrived, our guides could have died? It's all very strange still, and I wish I could feel safe."

The boy sat down a moment anyways, setting down Ivan, who had been watching the exchange quietly in his arms. "Dao took the brunt of the hurt from my fight with a Whimsur, so I am fine. If we need a moment to rest, now's the time. Our guides seem to be comfortable here, so I'll trust them. And they all seem to know each other. Where did you all come from?"

8. - Top - End - #368
    Ettin in the Playground

You guides seemed incredibly vague about their pasts. Some claimed they were hundreds of years old and others believed themselves to have been birthed into this world at the present moment. It was quickly becoming apparent that Jirachi did not deal in logic and consistency, and her guides likewise followed suit. They accepted each other's experiences as truths even when they seemed to logically be impossible to coincide.

A few tests showed that the Pokemon, while they could serve as translators, weren't significantly better than humans at it. Most pokemon don't have a full capability to use language in a traditional sense, and weren't able to convey complex ideas. Those that did have such understandings of language usually found their own ways of communicating with others. However, they were especially good at communicating with pokemon of their species, who shared body language, pheromone, and other communication patterns with them.

Later
    You continued traveling for a few days, getting to know your guides better. For now, they seemed content with the path you were taking along the river. Most clung to their trainers, or charges. Sinen looked almost like Ivan, spending her time on Moghu’s broad back. Laeo’s favorite spot was nestled in Velitus’s hair, though he’d ride on anyone who would let him, and was by far the most social of all the Guides with the teams of other trainers. Sheba would invariable switch between hanging calmly from Jayce’s jerkin and zooming into the woods to chase after a noise nobody else could hear.

Eops was the only one who didn’t ride along, and he was almost as hard to spot as Eira herself was. However, she rarely strayed more than a few meters from Eira, following the girl like a shadow.

Your journey was relatively uneventful for several days. However, as the river began to snake north about a week into your journey, you encountered human life for the first time since fleeing the Clansmeet.

Eira and Jayce, while scouting paths, saw the smoke from what must have been one of the clans on the plains. The clans sported brightly patterned red and blue communal tents that seemed large enough to house multiple families. The scents of roasting meat wafted through the air, and the Clan didn’t seem to notice your presence in the tree line.

Meanwhile, Moghu and Velitus, while foraging for wild fruits and vegetables, noticed a single kayaker on the river. She was a young woman, maybe only a few years older than the two of you. He boat had fishing nets stashed along the side, and large inflated bladders acting as flotation devices. Her clan tattoos were an ocher band around the neck with blue spikes along the eyes. She was busy gutting fish when you saw her and didn’t notice the two of you in the bushes.

Of course, you could always eschew human contact and hunker down in a hidden grove for the night.

Games I'm in:
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #369
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

Eira is surprised by how quickly she adjusts to Eops serving as her shadow. The varying ages and stories of the Guides, their alternate appearances and wide range of abilities with little explanation besides "Jirachi", unsettle her. She's used to magic being a straightforward tool to achieve certain goals, bound within rules. Her practical side still simply accepts the usefulness of Eops and the other Guides and continues to plan for the next goal, but another part of her simply remains unsettled. The fact that Eops quickly comes to feel like a part of her in her hunting and scouting is... both unsettling and calming, all at once. She really doesn't know what to do with that.

---

Eira's first instinct is to simply turn around upon seeing the village. They have been making progress overland without much hassle; a whole tribe of new people is just a complication, and possibly a deadly one depending on how close Fenris and his lackeys are to their trail. The only reason she hesitates from simply marking and avoiding the spot is the nagging feeling that the others might not be as used to long periods of travel without many people nearby. They might overrule her here, and she doesn't have the leadership of their group. Who does? she thinks a little uneasily. They've been able to avoid that question so far, but now...

Eira turns to Jayce silently, gesturing with her head and small movements of her arms to head back towards the others. Regardless of who's in charge of their group, she can't make this choice herself, and neither should any of the others; they can at least talk it over before deciding whether or not to expose themselves.
    "I need the Goblins in phalanx arrangement. Sky Blotters in the back! Swissles? Assume the Swizzle Stick Formation! We're going in!"
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #370
    Titan in the Playground

Moghu spent the travel pestering Sinen with questions, asking anything and everything that he could think to bother the Paras with. While he didn't learn much, the novelty of being able to speak with a Pokemon that had been so far above him for so long more than made up for it.

The Flame-Hunter was in the process of asking Sinen such questions and, were it not for Podax paying more attention to their surroundings than him, would have likely given their position away. Moghu instantly found appropriate cover, getting low enough that the girl should hopefully not be able to notice him. Moghu's curiosity of the outside world was tempered by the fear of discovery as he looked to Velitus. His theories about the Soul Eaters spreading rumors about them seemed plausible, and the Paras had never been a Clan that trusted outsiders. Getting onto the water would make their journey much easier and their trail harder to follow, but if whatever clan this girl was from either wanted Jirachi for themselves or were working with the Soul Eaters, they were doomed.

What do you think? Moghu asks Sinen, as well as Velitus and Laeo in turn. Do you know anything about that clan Velitus?
    Last edited by Arcran; 2021-05-03 at 03:25 PM.

Show

11. - Top - End - #371

RedKnightGirl

Jayce was surprised at the childlike nature of his guide. He had not expected that Jirachi would send such an immature pokemon to him. Still he couldn't help but smile at her antics. It was nice to be the one that someone looked up to rather than the other way around. Perhaps that was the point.

--

Upon happening on the tribe. Jayce is happy to note that Eira remains hidden. The two of them had a similar, quieter approach to problems and they seemed to agree on this. He really didn't want to alert them to their location, and probably would stay away entirely unless they had no other option. They were still too near the clansmeet. Maybe they'd come back later to see if they could hear anything, but for now, he nodded in agreement at Eira's gestures. They would consult the others before they made a move here. Indulging his curiosity about what clan this was he did not deem worth the risk of discovery so soon.

12. - Top - End - #372
    Ettin in the Playground

~A little. Clan Buizel - they don't really have much of a land presence, and they do a lot of trading with others.~ Velitus hesitated for a couple of moments. ~From what I know of them, they're usually fairly good-natured - they have to be to some extent - but if anyone was going to have heard word of what happened at the Clansmeet, it would likely be a Buizel clan member.~

~I don't like the idea of exposing us when the others don't get a say in it, but I...I want to know what everyone else thinks happened. We won't be able to hide forever, not when we get to the Purelake proper, and if Fenris has turned the Clansmeet against us, the sooner we begin spreading our own side of the story, the better.~

~I don't suppose you can find Jayce via Jirachi and let them know what's going on, Laeo?~
    he added, directing his mental 'voice' towards the Comfey perched on his head.

13. - Top - End - #373
    Ettin in the Playground

At Velitus's persisting, Laeo sent out a small series of chirps that, to the trainers present, sounded much like the chirps of any random bug pokemon. However, Sheba emerged from the woods to your hiding spot a bit later, with Eira, Eops, and Jayce in tow. They'd been coming back to find you when the Zubat had caught Laeo's signals. It wouldn't work for long distances, but when nearby it was a nifty tool.

Games I'm in:
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #374
    Titan in the Playground

As the others caught up with Moghu and Velitus, the large boy quietly gestured towards the Buizel clan member.

Velitus says they are Buizel clan, Moghu says, keeping his voice as low as possible. He says they likely have heard the Clansmeet story, but we need to get our own story out as well, Moghu says, looking at the rest of the group. What do you want to do? I would like to get on the water, but I do not know if we can trust them.

Show

15. - Top - End - #375

RedKnightGirl

Jayce is about to agree, but stops and chooses his words carefully. "On the one hand, I think it doesn't matter if we get the word out right away. That's between us and Jirachi. The truth will be known eventually. And we're still being followed, so keeping a low profile seems important."

He tilts his head to the side, "On the other, a network of allies could be helpful. It's how my clan operates when they are far from home. Having others believe in us may give us help to lose or deter pursuers. They may even offer shelter or trade."

"Do we take a chance with the Buziel?"
    Last edited by CateranEnforcer; 2021-05-06 at 10:32 PM.

16. - Top - End - #376
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

"My vote is no." Eira watches the area around them closely, keeping an eye out for potential dangers. "Any interaction with people who aren't confirmed allies is an unnecessary risk when the enemy is right behind us, and they don't have anything that we need right at this moment--at least, nothing we need that we couldn't steal in the night if need be." She pauses for a long second, then reluctantly adds, "But I will follow along with what the group wants, in this case."
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #377
    Ettin in the Playground

You passed the red and blue clan and the Buziel girl by without interacting, sticking to the shadowy routes and game trails. Eventually though, your stash of supplies ran low, leaving you no choice but to once again restock and prepare for another leg of your journey.

The river remained wide here, and flowed fairly rapidly as the land began to slope upwards as you travelled east. It was beginning to slowly snake north, and Moghu, who had ridden with the Wishiwashi Clan on his way to the clansmeet, remembered Inneq being quite sick on this leg of your journey. The land on the southern side of the river was carved with valleys and gorges where the river had flowed in ages past, and the trees along the river ran thick before opening up into the southern grasslands of the Open Forest. At night you could see the sparks of some of the Zebstrika herds, and the chirps of Starly filled the air during the day.

Spoiler
    Show
    Welcome to the next Rest Day. As a reminder, this is our gameplay 'loop' for this chapter.

1) Rest Days, where you'll have various options on things to pursue (gathering food, scouting the area around for paths etc). These rest days are also your pokemon center visits

2) Pick your route on the map. You'll get food from rest day activities. In general, 1 square of orthagonal movement on the map = 1 day's travel. The open forest is an easier terrain, so light green squares are 2 for the price of 1! Some areas (like the dark brown parts of the mountains) will be more difficult to move through without special gear/preperations/etc.

3) Travel Scenes. These will be things that happen to you on your travels. They might be story events that I want to drop in, wild pokemon encounters so you can capture pokemon, meetings with members of other clans, etc. If you all scout out the area nearby and want to head towards a particular landmark/location, the scene will probably occur there. In general I plan on one travel scene per rotation, but sometimes I may send more your way.

Rest Day Options (or propose your own)
    1) Gather Food. Make a survival roll (or stealth if you're ok stealing food from nearby clans or travellers). Your roll will determine how much food you get.

2) Scout the land. This will give you some insight into map items around your location, which might influence your route. Generally survival or perception are most useful here, but there might be other skills as dependent (for example, charm if you talk with a local about nearby terrain)

4) Scavenge Materials: roll survival to gather materials or construct a project. You might use this to start gathering supplies for a project, to get items like the durianfruit, or even just do this for the money these items would be worth in trade.

5) Work on a project: This one is pretty open ended, but would let you tackle something like, say, stealing or building a boat, gathering intel, or backtracking to see if Fenris is on your tail. Generally you'll need to roll something as with the other options, but it'll vary based on task.

If nobody gathers food, you don't have enough reserves to make sustained travel efficient. You'll stay in the same spot on the map.

Games I'm in:
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #378
    Titan in the Playground

Moghu felt relieved but oddly disappointed that the party didn't try to find an ally in the Buizel or the other clan that Eira and Jayce had found. While this was likely safer, the potential of allies that could get them down the river was hard to pass up. Still, risking Jirachi on the goodwill of another clan would be foolish, especially if Velitus' theory was correct.

Once a camp was found, Moghu spent his time trying to track down game for the group, using Podax's ability to detect tremors in the earth to find hidden game. He also attempted to utilize Sinen's spores using a trick he had seen the Brush-Hunters utilize, where a Paras' paralytic spores were indiscriminately sprayed into the underbrush, making it difficult for prey to flee.

Spoiler
    Show
    Survival for food finding: (3d6+2)[11] (spending AP)

Show

19. - Top - End - #379

RedKnightGirl

Jayce is nervous about being alone out here, but with their guides, he'd hoped this would go easier. He just had to remember that anyone they interacted with may be in danger for even seeing them. It would not be good to put others at risk because they needed help. Jirachi was already helping them, and that should be enough.

"I'm going to scout the land, try and find us a safe path ahead." He left Jirachi at the camp for now, allowing Ivan a chance to ride along again. The poor Psyduck wasn't used to all this walking and had to be carried many times when they weren't close to the water. Dao took point as usual keeping his own eyes out for danger. Let's see what you can do Sheba, have a quick fly around the area.

Spoiler
    Show
    Survival as needed (4d6)[12]
    Perception with stunt to find hidden paths to help locate a safe route (3d6+8)[23]

20. - Top - End - #380
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

Eira is comfortable with the decision to keep moving alone; the farther they can go without drawing direct attention to themselves, the better. Speaking of which.

"I'll check our back trail," she notes when the group makes camp, vanishing back the way they came with Eops at her side. No matter how skilled they may be in other areas, the rest of the group are not of Clan Weavile, and any decent hunter would be able to follow their trail once they picked it up. Eira checks quickly back along their route to make sure that isn't already happening.

Show
    Survival to check our backtrail for threats/signs of pursuit: (4d6)[20]
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #381
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I know Llyarden hasn't posted, but this will at least give you some time to discuss some options. Locations are reflected on the battlemap

Your time on the riverbed had proven rather fruitsome. Since you weren't spending time negotiating with other clans, you were able to accomplish quite a lot. Moghu gathered an impressive mushroom haul ... in fact those of you not accustomed to it might soon grow tired of eating mushrooms if Moghu had his way. It seemed enough for three days travel, which was a fair bit of distance in the relatively calm open forest.

Meanwhile, Jayce spent some time scouting ahead. Working with his team, he was able to surreptitiously find some high ground to observe the surrounding area. A few things were noted. Perhaps most strikingly, was a vast field of flowers nearby that looked very much like what Velitus had described as his meeting spot with Laeo. Further to the east was a gorge from a long-dried up river, snaking its way through the landscape. It would keep your party out of sight, but would be difficult to leave once you entered if something came up.

Further north though, you spotted one of the fords in the river. There was definite evidence of human activity there, even from such a vast distance. It was, after all, one of the few places to cross the river without a boat. Just beyond it, but still to the south of the river, stood what seemed to be a series of hills shrouded in dense mist. You could probably reach it, or the ford, with just Moghu's food supplies.

Eira however, slunk back to search for evidence that your pursuers were on your trail. You noticed no evidence of the tracks of the creatures on the paths you'd walked the past few days. However, when you listened in on a hunting party for the nearby clan, which seemed to be two distinct clans in a similar fashion to Velitus, you heard them discussing strange omens, including copius amounts of smoke from where the clansmeet had been and strange howls as they were hunting the local Zebstrika herds. The creatures were definitely headed east, but they hadn't picked up your scent yet and it didn't seem like the whole pack was nearby.
    Last edited by CosmicOccurence; 2021-05-12 at 08:48 PM.

Games I'm in:
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #382
    Ettin in the Playground

Velitus had been out gathering supplies too, although his were even less appetising than the mushrooms. By the time any of the others came back, he was in the process of carefully threading a smooth, silvery scale onto a string, though he got up when he saw Moghu return, stuffing the half-made necklace into a pouch. "Um, I don't know if it will help you, but I made this." He proffered a woven grass bangle, with what Moghu was fairly sure was dried strips of mushroom reinforcing the structure (though whether the mushrooms were intentionally a reference to his Clan was anyone's guess.) "If I've done it right, it should allow you to draw on the energy of the natural world to amplify your strength, sort of like a mirror to the way my circlet works for me." He sounded...distinctly less sure about whether he'd done it right than might have been preferred.

Show
    Velitus will turn 6 Green Shards into an Attack Booster for Moghu (as an Accessory item), and 4 Orange Shards into a Normal Booster for himself.

23. - Top - End - #383
    Titan in the Playground

Moghu takes the bracelet from Velitus, looking at it intently. While he wasn't an expert in their design, similar bracelets had always seemed to adorn the arms of the Paras' warriors, especially those that were nearest the Great Mother. The Sprout-Shapers seemed to jealously guard their arts, much like the Spore-Speakers, and the art was considered sacred among the Paras.

The bracelets, of course, had never been offered to the Flame-Hunters.

Moghu enveloped Velitus in a quick hug, before awkwardly stepping away and placing the band around his bicep. Thank you Velitus, the large boy states, watching as Sinen crawls across his body to inspect the new item. This means more than you can know.

Feeling rather awkward, Moghu clears his throat to get the attention of the rest of the group.

It looks like we need to make another choice. Do we try to cross at the ford and find a boat, or use the riverbed to get further away from the Clansmeet and find a boat further along? The Wishiwashi are near the ford and have worked with the Paras, so they may be able to assist us in reaching our goal.

Show

24. - Top - End - #384

RedKnightGirl

Jayce takes a stick and draws out a little map of the area he had scouted. "The riverbed is risky. It may keep us safe from prying eyes, but we may be vulnerable to the what lives around there. Without knowing the area, I am not sure we should take that risk. In known caves, my tribe can lay nasty ambushes, but on someone else's land her are no less vulnerable. Well maybe a little less." He looks at Sheba as she hones in on something in the distance with her echolocation.

"Fording is also a bit of a risk, but we're more likely to see something coming." He makes a few lines and circles as he speaks. "If we must speak with a clan, then so be it. We are quite some distance from the Clansmeet, and we may not be recognized. I still think having an ally or two would be useful in the long run."

25. - Top - End - #385
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

Eira returns from her scouting silently, thinking intently for long moments while the others spoke. "We seem to have outrun the stories of the Clansmeet, for now," she states finally. "I heard two tribesmen talking, and they don't know what the smoke from the Clansmeet means. Unfortunately, it seems like we also have the Mightyena-things on our tail; they haven't caught our trail exactly yet, but they know where we're going possibly better than we do so speed is our only ally. We need to do whatever gets us moving the fastest, and I think that's a boat for now. It would be faster to take a boat and leave... but allies would likely be useful," she concedes begrudgingly, ignoring the half-formed guilt that raises its head at her repeated mention of theft. They are not from the North. Survival 'at all costs' means something different to them than it does to me.

"Moghu, you already have some sort of connection near here?" she asks, looking at the bigger Paras tribesman. "That might be our best route, especially if they can get us a boat.
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #386
    Titan in the Playground

We traveled with them to the Clansmeet, Moghu says, nodding at Eira. It is not a strong connection, but unless somebody has a better one in the area, it seems our best. They at least know enough of the Paras to know we would never be party to causing a fire like the one that hit the Clansmeet, which may help us convince them we are innocent, if they have heard the rumors.

Show

27. - Top - End - #387

RedKnightGirl

Jayce stands up and looks around at everyone. "So it's settled then? We cross the river and seek potential help to cross the lake?"

28. - Top - End - #388
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I've moved you six spaces on the battlemap (the food roll gave 3 days food, and travelling on the open forest goes double speed

You hung to the river as you travelled, oftentimes looking down at the mighty winding thing. Over the years it had carved a deep gully into this part of the land, making it easier to travel 100 feet above the water instead of along the banks proper. Aside from curious birds and a small - but distant - pack of Growlithe, you managed to avoid danger until you reached the ford.

The ridge was much lower here, as the river had, at one point, been in the riverbed to the east. With less time to carve out a groove in the landscape, it spread wide and moved at a ponderous pace. The paths down to the ford were well worn. As with most parts of the open forest, this territory was for all to travel freely, and the local clans who traversed the path kept it well maintained. In fact, you eve saw the ruts in the ground from the runners of sleds that some clans used to transport heavy goods.

One such sled was currently pushing its way through the river, passing the same direction you were headed. It was a small group, maybe five or so humans, their sled pulled by a Mudbray, a species all of you had seen at the Clansmeet. Their clothes were of the open forest, but you couldn't see the details of their clan tattoos from this distance. The pokemon - and the group - was in a panic as they were swarmed by what appeared to be highly aggressive fish.

You saw occasional flashes of red and white as the horned aquatic pokemon would ram into the sled, trying to break the device into splinters. The family's two Rockruff were having a difficult time defending against the aggressors, and the three children who travelled with the sled were huddled behind it.

Whether this encounter ended in the family successfully crossing or the fish succeeding in their quest to destroy the sled, it was likely that, in less than half an hour, the river would be clear to ford quietly if you were quick about it.

Games I'm in:
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #389
    Ettin in the Playground

Velitus hesitated for a moment as he took in the scene, the knowledge that the others would prefer they stay hidden warring with his urge to help the stricken sled.

His hesitation lasted right up until he saw the children hiding behind the sled. "Come on!" Whether he was talking to the others or to his own Pokemon wasn't entirely clear, but either way he didn't really wait for a response - or to see how quickly the fish were making progress on destroying the sled to know whether he'd even be able to do anything about it - before setting off down the hill towards the ford.

30. - Top - End - #390
    Titan in the Playground

Moghu was in the process of turning to Eira when Velitus started to make a break for the sled. With a quick curse to the Great Mother Moghu grabbed his spear and shield, racing after Velitus as he hurriedly released Rella, the Poliwag struggling to keep up. Despite his initial caution, Moghu did feel much more comfortable racing to help the sled than hanging back and watch it get attacked and without help Velitus would likely struggle to hold out against so many creatures.

Show