New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Default Re: Darkness Rising (PTU)

Jayce is mollified by Petra's rebuke and replies sheepishly. "I did not mean to offend. I apologize. If it's never happened before, is it possible this was a sabotage? You say you mark these pits, did anyone see the holly marking the trap?" He stops to think, trying to recall the details. At the same time he didn't want to jump to conclusions.

Again, Jayce closed his eyes and took a breath. Time to calm down. What would Guru Darius say? Something wise and cryptic probably. What would his brother do? Something daring and clever most likely. But what would he do?

Jayce sighs and has little to contribute,"I think our first instinct to make sure this was only a tragic accident and not let it happen again. We should fix the problem with the old trap, make sure there are no more, and check for foul play. Maybe with an expert. We lasped in our job to check the pits, would you see to the kits, Felt?"

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Eira
    Show

You begin to see things in bushes, trees, shadows, that turn out to be nothing. You're constantly seeing something menacing in the side of your vision only for it to end up being something totally innocent. And the worst part is that you suspect that nothing supernatural is causing this, only your own mind.

When Eira mentioned the Absol, Malta and Felt visibly blanched. Uldeen and Yueh both dabbed some ochre in a sign to ward off spirits bearing bad luck. Velitus and Eira have the right of it, Yueh said. Hunting it down would only prevent it from warning from disasters to come. It would be the height of folly. This doesn't make its appearance any less welcome though. The shaman sighed. I do wish it had appeared to me, but I suppose it had its reasons.

When the conversation turned to Petra and questions were asked about the pit, he shared. Most of the tribes nearby know our markings, so that they don't accidentally fall into one while travelling through our lands. It isn't a secret, to be sure.
    Of course, the ones more near our camp are clan secrets, which we don't share with outsiders. The Holly though, is common knowledge in this part of the Open Forest.
    He hadn't quite connected the same dots that you had, and turned to Jayce.

There was holly on this one for sure. But I can take us to the camp. Itek and Puyi, come on, he waved the two children over, who approached him cautiously. He may know their names, but they weren't close. Felt just seemed happy that they no longer clung to her. We can talk more as we walk.

Beshelt sidled up to Jayce. So what do you think? A rival clan decided to cause some chaos, maybe take a few lives?

Yueh took next to Velitus for the walk. You know a thing or two about Absol. More than just the rumors most people spread. I'm glad you spoke up, but an Absol ... she shuddered. Not what I was hoping for at the trials, you know?

Petra seemed content to walk with the two kids hands in his, but if Eira ventured near he said, Sorry that I haven't been more help. I'm not totally sure why I'm even here, to be honest. It's not like I'm anything special in my clan. I mean, I'm just the kid who stirs the soup. You seem ... well powerful and magical. Jayce has eyes like a Fearow. Moghu terrifies me. Velitus is wise. Even Yueh and Beshelt seem more useful than me, and they didn't even save one of the pups.

Kurtack meanwhile, spent a good deal of time observing the Victreebel and Gumshoos, and kept glancing at Moghu, who was the only other contestant that stood at a similar height and build. He didn't say anything unless prompted though.

Uldeen, Felt, and Marta, walked together, furiously debating in whispered voices.

Spoiler
    Show

This walk can go on for as long as wanted, or I can jump straight to the camp! Feel free to branch out to chat with anyone you want to, or nobody.
    Many thanks to Ceika for the wonderful avatar.

Aatos My medieval pokemon setting.

Games I'm in:
    Spoiler
    Show

Johto: Guardians of Legends as Julius Varro

World at War (PTA) as Francis May

GM of Exploring Aatos a Medieval PTA game.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

After about the third time that she jumped at a completely ordinary, unmoving bush, Eira sternly tells herself to calm down. You can't unfreeze the river. It's too late to prevent the disaster now; you can only react to it. She takes a few deep breaths and forces herself as the next simple tree shadow seems to grow fangs and leap towards her.

It doesn't help her inner state of mind, but at least she isn't twitching like a Cubchoo with fleas anymore.

It is perhaps because of this twitchiness that Eira's response to Petra is somewhat terse. "We all use what we're given, or the Land takes it back. Prove you deserve to keep what you have." she glances over to the boy and tries to smile, though it comes out more as a twitch. "You've survived this long, which means you have something keeping you alive. Find out what it is and use it."

Her bouncing eyes flash over Felt and her coterie for a moment, and they narrow slightly before moving on. quietly, Eira slips back to the back of the group, ostensibly to check on Pebble's harness. Once there, she quietly begins moving forwards again, looking to get within earshot of the little group without being noticed by them so she could overhear whatever new thing they are plotting.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Stealth to sneak up on Felt & Co.: (4d6+4)[25]

Perception to eavesdrop: (2d6)[4]
    Last edited by Zelphas; 2021-02-24 at 09:41 PM.
    Originally Posted by Xefas:
    "I need the Goblins in phalanx arrangement. Sky Blotters in the back! Swissles? Assume the Swizzle Stick Formation! We're going in!"
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #124

RedKnightGirl

Jayce takes a measured reply to Beshelt. "Maybe, but that really doesn't explain the Absol omen. I feel like that would have more something to do with natural forces, rather than a tribal dispute. Maybe something is causing pokemon to migrate in an unusual way, some premonition of a disaster. I think my Guru might be able to tell me, but I'm clueless really." He shrugs hopelessly. "Just when I think I have it figured out, I find out I don't. And when you don't know what to do, you have to speak out and listen to the echo. That's kind of a saying for Clan Zubat, but I'm not explaining it very well. It just means we need to look further and don't trust your eyes, your first impression. Find out what is solid and real."

It's comforting to go over the philosophy of his Clan with an outsider. He is usually the quiet one on journeys with others. He's heard many kernels of wisdom from his betters, and finds that some of it must have stuck. Remembering his own words, he turned the question around. "What do you think may have happened?"

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

Moghu walked in silence, pondering his own thoughts. The Absol itself was fine, but just a herald of bad omens? What did that mean? A flood? An earthquake?

A forest fire?

As thoughts of a raging inferno began to fill Moghu's mind he released Rella, the Poliwag quickly obliging in coating the two of them in a Water Sport, providing a protective layer against the flames. It was unlikely, but one could never be too prepared when it came to fire.

We missed something at the pit. Was the Nidoking tracking whoever laid the trap? Did they put special bait in there? Was it to kill the Nidoqueen, or to provoke the King? The outside world is so much more complicated than the warrens...

Eventually, he nodded at Kurtack. As complicated as everything else was, Kurtack at least seemed to have simple motivations, which was a welcome change in the current environment. I like your axe, Moghu said simply, admiring the craftsmanship. What's the blade made of?
    Props to Ceika for the new and improved avatar!

Spoiler: Quotes
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by IrnBruAddict
    Yeah, but Arcran is the GM. Can we be sure of anything?
    I always picture Arc as LE, with CE tendancies
    Quote Originally Posted by Espirit15
    Arc is a good GM. Evil, but a good GM

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ettin in the Playground

Velitus gave Yueh a small smile, slightly embarrassed. "Some shamans in my Clan become omen-readers." He wasn't going to give out the exact details of how the Twin Petals interacted with the Glade (not least because he didn't know them himself), but he didn't really need to anyway. "It's a prestigious role, not one given to a young mediator like me, but still...I always hoped I might be able to one day, and I ended up pestering my master until he got annoyed enough to teach me some of the basic omens. What Absol's presence means and doesn't mean was one of the first lessons."

He sighed, realising that to some extent he'd been saying far more than he needed to just to avoid thinking about what Eira's sighting meant. "I know," he agreed with Yueh, quietly. He tried to push away the selfish part of him that hoped that the fact that the Absol had appeared to Eira meant it was a threat to her Clan alone.
    "Follow the moonwalking Nosepass!"
    "Can you put the lich in a box?"

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ettin in the Playground

Eira

You knew intuitively that your master would be proud of you as you slipped through the trees, looping around to follow near the three girls as they whispered furiously to each other. However, it was difficult to hear all of what was said, as you had to slip past trees and bushes to avoid making sound, occasionally taking you out of range of their whispered conversations.

- know that I can't do that Felt. I'm not trained to - That was Uldeen, who for the first time seemed peeved with Felt.
    - fires last night, it said this trial would reveal who did that to my sister - that was Malta, whose palm tattoos seemed to be connected to her emotional state, were glowing bright with heat.
    - can't be a coincidence that this is happening at the trials. They're acting now for a reason - Felt hissed back after you had to skirt the den of a particularly nasty looking Stunky.
    It doesn't make any sense. Jirachi has been dormant for generations, and the Clansmeet is a horrible time to act. There are just so many people around. Uldeen explained.
    Just don't trust anyone. Felt said. If Malta is right and someone who is part of this trial is part of this, it could be any of them. Kurtakch doesn't seem - ... - even a brute can take orders. The others I don't trust as far as Uldeen - Uldeen grimaced, but Malta laughed at the joke you didn't quite hear the punchline of.

Jayce

That's a weird expression. Why would you listen to your own echo? Beshelt said, clearly not making the connections to the idiom of your clan. But I understand about not trusting your eyes. We use scent more than most clans, and it never lies.

She sighed, spinning one of her knives in her hands. I think it was a dumb place to put a pit, no matter what Petra wants us to think. This was a new Pitmaster, right? So maybe he just made a dumb mistake and got himself, and potentially others in his clan, killed. Or maybe someone was faking this entire thing. Maybe one of the enemies of Chespin Clan? They keep to themselves mostly though.

Moghu

It is Stone. Stone of the Mountain. he said. The axe had a hardwood handle, and the stone was jet black and shiny, looking like nothing you'd seen in your life. The Mountain provides all needed. These forests. They are soft and weak. I do not like it here. Nidoking not be a problem for my clan. Rhyhorn are strong.

He offered the handle of the axe to you to try out. Your shield? He asked. Is not a normal shield. That was not a question. If you picked up the axe, you noticed that it was quite heavy, and clearly meant to be used two-handed in battle.

Velitus

Yueh took a long second to think. The constant jingle of her clothes would really have made her a poor hunter, but you more than anyone here other than Uldeen understood the importance of physical objects to the creation of magic.

I'm no master in omen reading either. I don't think the Absol was related to this trial. One rampaging Nidoking just isn't big enough for it to show up for. No, something's coming. Something bad. But it showed itself to Eira, not anyone at the Clansmeet. Why show yourself to a youth, not even an adult yet? What could Eira do to prevent a calamity? She looked at you. I think it must have something to do with her clan. Or maybe the trials?

As she looked at you, your eyes drifted behind her, where you saw a white form trotting through the trees. It was a form behind the party, further back even than Malta, Uldeen, and Felt's quiet bickering. And it was unmistakably an Absol. The a Stunky dashed across the path you were following and the second your eyes left the Absol, it disappeared.
    Last edited by CosmicOccurence; 2021-02-25 at 01:43 PM.

Games I'm in:
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ettin in the Playground

Velitus paused for a moment. "I...don't think it's just Eira's Clan," he said to Yueh quietly, before raising his voice slightly. "Absol just appeared to me as well," he announced. "It might simply be that I'm overthinking this, but to appear twice to two separate people - making it clear that they are two separate occurrences - who share little similarities besides our current actions...it's as though he's trying to suggest that what comes is more specific than something that threatens the entire Clansmeet; else, why not reveal himself elsewhere as well - and if he were trying to warn everyone, why not appear to us all?"

"So...to me, it seems like he is trying to warn us that something we are doing will lead to disaster...or that we, specifically, are heading towards one."
    Or the site of one.
    With the two Chespin children still with them, he didn't want to bring up that possibility aloud. "Eira, which direction did you see..." He blinked, and looked around. "Uh, where did Eira go?"

9. - Top - End - #129
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

Eira silently curses the forest for having so many new sounds and sights. How am I supposed to guard against calamity if I don't know what to look for? she thinks in exasperation as she dodges around a truly foul-smelling hole in the ground. Still, she gathers enough of Felt, Uldeen, and Malta's conversation to make her intrigued. The three seemed to be expecting something, along with this Trial; some sort of betrayal or discovery. To head that off, Felt is trying to convince Uldeen to do something which she isn't comfortable with.

When Velitus makes his announcement, Eira spins to the small threesome, trying to gauge their reactions carefully. The mention of another Absol sighting doesn't actually bother her overmuch; she's already seen it once, so the calamity's already coming to her. It can't make things worse than they're going to be. Instead, she looks over Felt, Uldeen, and Malta, trying to see if they give anything away in the moment of Velitus' statement.

Then Velitus mentions her, and Eira smiles, pleased that she has vanished from the sight of everyone. Stepping silently around the group, she walks into view out of Velitus' shadow, tapping him on one shoulder with an icy hand. "I saw it from that way," she responds to him, pointing in the direction where she experienced the vision of Absol. Her eyes, however, remain on Felt and her little group.

Show
    Intuition on Felt & Co. for their reaction to Velitus' statement: (2d6)[5]
    "I need the Goblins in phalanx arrangement. Sky Blotters in the back! Swissles? Assume the Swizzle Stick Formation! We're going in!"
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

Somewhat oblivious to the concerns rising around the group, Moghu unstrapped his shield to momentarily hand it to Kurtack, trading it for the other boy's axe. He looked it over carefully, before taking a few practice swings to learn the heft and weight of it. Is this what Inneq meant? Learning how other tribes fight could be valuable, right? And Rhyhorn are herbivores, safe for the Paras. Moghu waited expectantly to see how his tattoos would respond, but, regardless of their answer, began explaining his shield to the Rhyhorn clansman.

Normal for us, Moghu stated. Wood so that spines stick, coated in cured Heatmor hide for toughness and make sure that it does not burn, Moghu explained, pointing out a few dents where he'd repaired previous hits.

You should hunt in the Deep Forest, you might think us less soft then, Moghu says, finally handing over the axe. You do not want to get close to prey there. Using an axe like this would get you poisoned, burned, or worse, Moghu explains as he pulls out one of his hunting spears. You can fight up close or at a distance with these, but you're protected from the poison spines of a Nidoking or a Cyndaquil's flames. Less damage than your axe, but effective, he finishes, strapping his shield back to his arm after Kurtack has had the chance to inspect it.

At the news that another Absol has appeared, Moghu tenses, and has Rella coat him with another layer of water. Have you ever ran into an Absol? he asks, scanning the trees.
    Last edited by Arcran; 2021-02-25 at 07:22 PM.

Show

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ettin in the Playground

"GAH!" Velitus jumped when Eira tapped him on the shoulder, almost turning and trying to club her upside the head with his staff before catching himself. "Did you have to do that..?" he complained - but he very quickly returned his focus to the mysterious appearances and disappearances of Absol. "Hmm...when he appeared before me, had I been able to see through the forests my gaze would've fallen upon the Clansmeet. And if my understanding of our path is correct, then that means the same was true when he appeared before Eira. Once could be a coincidence - though with Absol, even that would be a stretch - but twice..."

"Petra, is there anyone still at the Clansmeet you can send your bird Pokemon to?"

12. - Top - End - #132

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicOccurence View Post
    That's a weird expression. Why would you listen to your own echo? Beshelt said, clearly not making the connections to the idiom of your clan. But I understand about not trusting your eyes. We use scent more than most clans, and it never lies.

She sighed, spinning one of her knives in her hands. I think it was a dumb place to put a pit, no matter what Petra wants us to think. This was a new Pitmaster, right? So maybe he just made a dumb mistake and got himself, and potentially others in his clan, killed. Or maybe someone was faking this entire thing. Maybe one of the enemies of Chespin Clan? They keep to themselves mostly though.
    "Yes well, there's no way to know for sure just talking about it." Jayce sighs. "I do think our trial here is to try and restore some deeper problem. We'll just have to investigate and see what we can find. I think we can start by all working together." He looks at the antics of the others, some getting along, some not, but all divided up into groups.

"Honestly this is not much different than my own clan's organization, or the lack of it. We kind of do a little bit of our own thing, but we know our purpose and role. We only gather up when there is a pressing issue we need to deal with, like an intruder. And to go home when the time comes. The important part is that we work together when it matters."

Jayce hones in on the scattered interactions and listens closely, though he in particular tries to listen to any sign of the Absol, or any clue to why it has arrived. It seems pretty important to them, so he'd try and help. He knows his eyes and especially ears can sometimes pick up things other miss. Though really, he isn't too sure about his ability to make sense of some ill omen and that the answer would come in time.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception just to look around for signs of the Absol
    (4d6+2)[11]

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ettin in the Playground

At Velitus's revelation, most of the group's mood darkened. Yueh and Uldeen added another dab of ochre to their wards. Beshelt's knives never left her hand. Petra was quivering, casting glances constantly into the trees. Malta and Felt said nothing, but their faces were dark and stormy.

If the danger is at the Clansmeet, then we hopefully have nothing to fear at this trial, Yueh said. Which is a blessing, if only a small and temporary one.

Petra shook his head when asked about his Pokemon. I've only gone to the clansmeet this year, and my Pokemon weren't released for most of the journey. However, one of the elders at camp should be able to send a message.

Moghu

Kurtakch hefted the shield lightly in a hand, banging one of the spears against it. Is different. But not bad.
    Lowlander enemies require lowlander weapons. If you visit the mountains, you need big weapon to break through Geodude carapace.
    After a few more test swings of the spear, he handed them back in exchange for his axe.

This Absol creature. I know nothing of it. Lowlanders are scared, but Kurtakch sees no danger. Is just another Pokemon. Is not Aggron, Hydregion, or Garchomp. Is not worry me. Should not worry you. He nodded, clearly believing that his words had been the height of wisdom.

Jayce

As you listened, you could hear the soft pattering of footsteps on stone, but then it was gone. Whether that was the Absol or another creature you were unsure, but you did not hear any immediate danger. In fact, with the Nidoking's rampage ended, the quiet sounds of a forest going about its business had begun again, the tension in the air gone fo the critters of dirt and leaf.

In my clan your pack is family, Beshelt said. We hunt only together, and see each other every day. To go separately would be to forsake the pack. So yes, whatever is coming, we must face it together, at least if we all make it through the trials.

Eira

You could tell that Malta and Felt were quite upset by the sighting of the second Absol. Why, you had no idea. It could be out of fear, superstition, confusion, or even out of a desire for a warning not to go out to the clans.
    Last edited by CosmicOccurence; 2021-02-26 at 09:55 AM.

Games I'm in:
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #134
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

While she won't admit it aloud, Eira feels a mixed jolt of relief and guilt at Velitus' assessment about where the Absol came from. If it's seen by someone else, and it's pointing towards the Clansmeet, the disaster isn't targeted at my Clan. They should be all right.

Eira looks over Felt, Uldeen, and Malta carefully. Upset... but not surprised. What were they already expecting before this Trial began? After a moment, she shrugs to herself, dismissing the concern to join all the other concerns that have popped up since the Absol was first seen. They aren't my family or even my Clan. I can't demand their secrets, only discover them.

"Sounds like we should hurry to camp, then,"
    she says aloud, moving back to Pebble and spurring her onwards. "'Even a Beartic cave's better than nothing in a blizzard,' and the storm clouds are gathering."
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #135

RedKnightGirl

Jayce is not comforted to know the danger may be at the Clansmeet."I agree, we should be quick. I don't want to come back to a disaster. Almost want to make sure things are fine now but we can't let everyone down." He thought about his Guru and hoped he had seen this coming and prepared.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Titan in the Playground

Absol is not dangerous, Moghu says, trying to think how best to explain this. But it is a sign that danger is coming. Storms, fires, earthquakes, fires, big disasters, Moghu says, not even noticing that he had said fire twice. Either way, if the danger is at the meet we should finish this trial quickly. We should be there to help if something happens.

Show

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ettin in the Playground

The Chespin camp looked much like any other Open Forest camp would. It was located near water, but not so close that they had to worry about wild pokemon in the river. The camp was a collection of tents, hides strung out to cure, and the gentle activity of a day in the life of a clan. You didn't see any fires, but smoke coming out of the ground told you that they did their cooking in underground pits covered with leaves and fronds.

The two children were almost immediately greeted by a gleeful greyish cat whose tail spiralled severely. It twined between their legs, and a woman came up behind it, looking at the lot of you, but mostly at her child. I was getting worried about you two, she said, before briefly getting the story, after which she thanked

Here, take these, she said, handing each of you a few berries. It isn't much, but it's what I have. It sounds like you all aren't staying around long enough for the Wooloo to be finished. She was a weaver in the tribe, but pointed you to anyone you needed to see, sending her several cats along with to ensure the locals knew that they should cooperate with you.

Spoiler
    Show
    You each get three Oran Berries!

Feel free to talk to whomever you'd like to (pitmaster, shaman, the raft workers, etc. They'll chat with you and answer your questions, so feel free to invent whatever you'd like about the Chespin camp so we can dive in. Things slowed down a bit this weekend. If you'd like to bring any of the NPCs with you, assume they're willing to come along.

Games I'm in:
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ettin in the Playground

"If you're sure you can spare them, then thank you very much," Velitus said, accepting the berries carefully and adding them to a small hide pouch that was secreted among his garments.

Once pointed towards the clan's pitmasters, he made his way over to the woodsman in question, and introduced himself. "I appreciate it's impolite to ask about your Clan's methods, and I'm sorry for asking this of you, but...would it be normal for a pitmaster to create a pit large and deep enough to entrap a Nidoqueen?"

Show
    Charm to hopefully get the pitmasters to open up about their pits: (3d6)[12]

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

Moghu simply nods as he is given the berries, before following Velitus to speak with the pitmasters. They were their best avenue forward to finding signs of foul play, at least in Moghu's mind.

Show

20. - Top - End - #140
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

Eira accepts the Berries with a nod of thanks; food is all-important, and always worth taking. Seeing that Velitus is already speaking to the pit masters, Eira turns to Petra. "Could you ask around and see if there's been any problems with specific tribes or groups nearby?" she asks him, nodding towards the camp. "They're your Clan, so they'll be more likely to talk to you than to any of us."

While he does that, Eira takes a different approach towards gathering information. Slipping into the woods nearby, Eira begins wandering through the camp as carefully as she can, listening to the conversations between the pitmasters, the raft workers, the shaman if she can find them... anyone who might have heard of the situation and had an opinion on it, That might at least get her some information.

If she is caught snooping around, Eira smiles, explains where she is from and what she is doing, and goes to find Petra, hoping that he has more luck than she does. If she isn't caught, she still goes to find Petra eventually; he is more likely to get some clear information than she is.

Show
    Stealth to snoop around the camp for information: (4d6+4)[13]

Charm to talk her way out of trouble if she gets caught: (3d6)[10]
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #141

RedKnightGirl

Jayce sees the others spilt up to do there own thing, and decides to go out as well. He figures that if anyone knows about something odd going around, it should be the shaman. With some direction he heads out to find them. "Beshelt, I'm going to check in with the shaman. If anyone knows of any strange activity going on, they should be aware of it."

With a bit of uncertainty, Jayce makes his way through the camp, avoiding the eyes of any passers by until he gets to where he is going. He's uncertain how to address the shaman of the tribe, but he does his best to stay formal and respectful. "Excuse me. We're here on our trials and we're investigating the woods a little bit in the wake of the Nidoking attack. We want to make sure it doesn't happen again. Has there been any changes recently? Maybe in tribal relations or the activity of wild pokemon?"

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ettin in the Playground

Velitus & Moghu

The Pitmaster was tall, with broad shoulders and hair that was tied back into a bun. Pit big enough to trap a Nidoqueen? Usually you don't need something so big for a Deerling or Wooloo, and it's rare that we'd try and tackle something so large. If we do build a trap like that, we'd intentionally bait it to attract the pokemon we're hoping to snare and include other scents that other pokemon would be adverse to in the area nearby.

Nidoqueen tend to be fairly peaceful though, so long as you don't get on their bad side. And if we did go after one, it certainly wouldn't have been a newly tilled pitmaster doing that work. Ottik died too young. However, I'm thankful for your service in taming the Nidoking and freeing the Nidoqueen.
    You've done good work for the Forest today, and your clans should count themselves proud to have youngsters like you.

At those words, a sense of deep satisfaction came over Moghu, and a gentle warmth spread across your tattoo. It seemed the Great Mother was indeed proud of the work you had done today, though the faint nausea of being so far from her persisted.

Jayce

The Chespin Clan didn't have many mages, and the one you found was on the younger side for a master shaman of a clan. She was old enough to be an adult, but just barely. Her hair was tied into several braids that hung down her back, and she stirred a bubbling clear liquid that looked like water, but smelled of peaceful glades.

Changes recently? she said. It's certainly been a strange winter and fall for those of us in the eastern parts of the open forest, that's for sure. The Sawsbuck Clan has reported disappearances of some of their clan members, same with the Mightyena. The Fennekin Clan has been on edge too, though they're cagey enough to keep the reasons to themselves. It's been bad omens this whole winter. It left us by until recently though. Now this? We've never had issues with Nidoking in the past.

As far as relations with other clans go, we keep to ourselves, and our hunting grounds don't shift like so many of the others who follow the herds. That said, we're close enough to the Clansmeet that traffic picks up around these times. Lots of strangers passing through that we've had to warn about our pits, but that happens every year. It'd be easy enough to slip in and out without anyone realizing that you were anything more than a passerby. My magic deals with wards and protections, not divination or mind reading, so its times like these that I wish my clan had a talent for some of the other arts.

Eira
    The unfamiliar territory and promise of hidden, unmarked pit traps made your job more difficult. However, you did well considering the circumstances. Certainly since nobody was on the lookout for strangers in their own camp, and the Chespin Clan didn't require the honed senses of a more traditionally trained hunting clan. You didn't think a soul saw you as you slipped through the camp and trees like one of Marshadow's own soldiers.

You didn't hear much of particular interest as you listened in on conversations. The Nidoking's actions, as well as the news that your group brought along with the rescue of the children, was certainly the talk of the camp. There was rampant speculation going around. Some claimed that this entire winter had been cursed, and the same misfortune that had befallen the Mightyena, Sawsbuck, and Fennekin had finally descended on the Chespin. Others thought that spirits were running amuk, and that the Pit of Eternal Dusk needed its wards refreshed. Still others chattered that the Mightyena Clan, large as it was, had finally decided to expand their hunting grounds into Chespin Territory. The people who spoke like that were clearly warriors. It all sounded like rampant gossip and speculation, but even a broken compass would sometimes point north.

Much more interesting was, after about fifteen minutes of snooping, you stumbled upon the carcass of a large blue and white bird. It looked to be the evolution of one of Petra's species. Its tail split into two long points, but the entire bird was a violent mess. The creature's lifeblood had yet to even sink into the soil. Around its leg was tied a birchbark rune message, similar to the one that Petra had sent to warn Felt earlier.
    Last edited by CosmicOccurence; 2021-03-01 at 07:25 PM.

Games I'm in:
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #143
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

Eira stands up slowly from the dead bird, holding the birchbark message carefully in one hand. She looks over the area carefully, keeping herself as hidden as she can in the process. Finally, she takes a step into the woods, and then hesitates. A hunter who hunts alone is prey. Shaking her head silently, Eira turns to find Petra.

---

"I need you to do two things for me," Eira says without preamble to Petra once she arrives, appearing out of his shadow. "First, I need you to come with me." She brings Petra to the site of the dead bird, assuming that such a place is safe and is away from prying eyes and ears. If it is not, she leads Petra to wherever she can find that is out of eyesight and earshot of the camp.

"Second, I need you to read this." Eira holds out the barkskin, but pulls back for a moment before reading it. "Read it aloud; I can't read the runes, and I need to know what they say before you act on them." Only then does Eira finally hand the scroll over, waiting impatiently for the reading.

Show
    Survival to check for tracks around the dead Swellow bird: (4d6)[12]

Pokemon Ed to identify what could have killed the bird by tracks and/or the wounds on the bird: (2d6)[8]
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ettin in the Playground

Eira

A quick look at the body shows that it was clearly killed by fangs, though you weren't enough of an expert on southern species that you had any idea what kind of Pokemon could have done this. There were footsteps, clearly trying to leave no trace and failing, leading to and away from the site. They lead further into the forest, not back into camp. And the footsteps were clearly human. You found no tracks indicating the passage of a pokemon.

Petra followed you without complaint, after briefly introducing you to his parents. At the sight of the dead bird, Petra blanches. This is my father's Pokemon, and the father of my own Twillist. This is the message you all asked me to send to the Clansmeet, warning about the Absol. I went to my dad to send it right away with his messenger bird. What ... what could have done this?
    Last edited by CosmicOccurence; 2021-02-28 at 10:39 PM.

Games I'm in:
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #145
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

Eira nods once, sharply, in response to Petra's statements. "GO to your Clan elder and report what has happened, then meet back here. I'll go get the others. This seems involved with us." Suiting word to action, Eira is immediately away.

Going quickly to the others, Eira simply explains that they all need to meet together as soon as possible, and either brings them with her or (if they refuse to come with) tells them where to meet. Once everyone Who she can reasonably expect to come has gathered, Eira explains what she's found. "...and they went that way," she says, pointing to the direction the tracks are going. "I'm not getting tricked into a plant's gullet twice in one day, but I think we should follow them; this happened recently and we need to move fast. Whoever did this has a Pokemon with strong fangs and they don't want the Clansmeet to know about a catastrophe coming; this seems like something Soul Clan would want to be dealt with."
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ettin in the Playground

"Thank you," Velitus said to the pitmaster, politely. "If you don't mind me asking, then...how many other Clans are there around here with the skill to build a pit trap that could catch a Nidoqueen?"

---

Velitus followed Eira back to the dead bird, frowning as he crouched down to examine it himself. "How would the attacker know to target this bird specifically?" he asked. "To do so would require seeing that it held a message on its leg, to know that it was flying towards the Clansmeet - and even then, there would be no guarantee that the message it held was indeed a warning about the Absol that only our group - and Petra's father - is aware of."

"More than that, how would it be killed? I can't imagine a strong Pokemon being stunned by a stone from a sling and brought down the way some Open Forest Clans hunt birds - and if it was, why need a Pokemon with sharp fangs to kill it? If there are no Pokemon tracks at all here, that suggests that the other Pokemon was flying too...although even then I would have thought a fight would leave some traces, and even if the fight was far up in the air, why would there be human footprints coming here and leaving again? And if the footprints belong to the one that killed it coming to check the kill, why not simply remove the message from its leg when they were here anyway? On the other hand, there are no indications that the bird was killed elsewhere and deposited here - and again the question of why the killer wouldn't remove the message arises."

Velitus sighed. "This entire scene makes no sense. Which suggests that there is a lot more going on here than we're aware of."

Show
    Medicine Edu to examine the bird's wounds to see if it had been, like, snared or something weird: (3d6)[9]
    And I guess I'll try Pkmn Edu as well: (2d6)[9]

And why not, since Intuition can be used to get a hunch and discern connections between clues, let's go ahead and do that because at the moment it feels like this entire scene has been staged to send us off on a wild goose chase: (3d6)[11]

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

Moghu let a huge grin creep over his face as the Great Mother's favor washed over him. He wasn't sure why the Great Mother was invested in aiding the Chespin, but her appreciation was still warranted. Perhaps she, like Inneq, had some inclination to work with other clans?

If you have the time, could we get you to come look at the pit with us? Moghu asked. It is likely nothing, but we want to make sure there is nothing to be concerned about.

It was taken by surprise then, Moghu says, listening to Velitus' concerns. Killed in ambush, before it could strike back.

At the rest of the questions, Moghu's face went slightly blank. Whatever was going on here was schemes within schemes, and Moghu was not a schemer. Even if following the path takes us to a trap, I think we go, Moghu states, applying some healing mushroom salves to his wounds while he pops an Oran Berry into his mouth. If they want a fight, we give them a fight.

Show

28. - Top - End - #148

RedKnightGirl

Jayce excuses himself from the shaman, "Interesting, but not really enough to go on. I must go see what Eira has found, thank you very much for your observations." He hurries off to find the others, dreading what they discovered.

--

Jayce listens closely to the thoughts of the others. He really doesn't like the idea of walking into a trap, but the clues didn't add up. More and more he thought of the Clansmeet and what trouble was happening there. "If we go after these tracks, make sure others know where we go. There's enough of us that maybe we'd be prepared, but Zubats usually set ambushes. Not walk right into them. If only I had my own, it's very hard to catch a more experienced guide by surprise. This land is unfamiliar to me and I don't know if I can sense the trap before we walk into it." Jayce sighs, not happy with the plan, but he tries to think more boldly. "Just be careful and don't be so overconfident."

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ettin in the Playground

Velitus & Moghu

The pits themselves aren't difficult to build. Just a big hole, honestly. Anyone who had a pokemon capable of that could create one. The coverings are a bit more tricky, but not so different than other camoflauge. It's the baiting that's tricky. You gotta make sure that you're only calling the creature you're trying to capture, and pushing away any who you don't want to trigger the trap.

The Pitmaster nodded at to Moghu, saying that he'd be interested in looking at the pit himself. Then Eira came racing in, Beshelt and Yueh in tow, telling you to come with her.

Velitus

A quick look over the body of the Swellow reinforces Eira's assessments that fangs were the cause of death. However, you also noticed that the body seemed to have been squeezed as well, based on a band of broken feathers around its midsection. As you considered the clues, you came to a few conclusions: that this was either one large, elaborate trap, or that they left in a hurry, such a hurry that they didn't have time to untie the message on the bird's leg or disguise their trail.

All

Yer right that this is something the Soul Clan would be interested in, Ithgar said as he emerged from the forest, grabbing Petra before the boy could run back into town. His Mightyena twined between his legs and went up to sniff the Swellow before Ithgar shooed it away.

This trial was meant to test your ability to handle a delicate and tense situation. Do you ensure the Nidoking doesn't cause immediate damage, or do you try and find the root problem? You all did both, though if Felt had her way a lot more of the forest would be destroyed, and she'd be a limp body right now. You've also deduced that there was likely some sort of foul play involved, but dealing with this, he pointed at the human tracks. Felt went red at Ithgar's jab, but was wise enough to say nothing.

This is beyond the scope of what the Trial of the World Soul. If we still did something similar for the trial of the Clan Soul, then maybe. But now we just have you all beat each other up for that one, he grinned wolfishly at that.

We'll report the the Chespin Clan chief, and I'll offer him Soul Clan support in this manner. They offered this to us for a trial, and even the day's delay has led to this. It's our job to ensure that your trials aren't interrupted and that we repair the harm done to their clan.

This was ... not how the first trial was supposed to go,
    he grimaced at that, and his Mightyena whined softly.

Games I'm in:
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #150
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

Eira spins towards Ithgar as he appears, one hand already tipped with icicle claws before she recognizes him. She forces herself to relax, flexing away the claws. "Is the Clansmeet already warned about the omen, then?" she asks him, nodding after his explanation. The fact that this test was obviously more than "stop the Nidoking" has been clear for a while yet, but it's good to hear confirmation... even if it's followed by the fact that the Trial has already gone off the safe path.

"Well... if the next Trial is just us attacking each other, I'm sure nothing will go wrong with that." Eira grins nervously, her eyes still dancing around slightly to look for any sign of Absol.
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show