New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Darkness Rising (PTU)

Akari barely even seemed to notice Uldeen's attempt to drain her energy, biting at the shaman's other leg before giving her a threatening hiss, as if to warn her off trying to attack her Trainer again.

"I mean, you could have removed this arena from the options. But I understand the logic. I was more meaning..." Velitus kinda shifted awkwardly, pulling the grass flute from his belt and snapping it, causing a wave of verdant energy to flow over his staff and around Akari. "Once your Pokemon were bested, Akari could've just knocked you off the raft to finish the fight instead of having to keep hurting you. Well, and without me having to keep doing this, whatever 'this' is" he muttered under his breath, bringing another ray of light up under Uldeen with one hand that brought with it a strange, hard-to-place scent that could have been vaguely reminiscent of grass after rain as the magic's power was enhanced by the spiritual energy of the broken flute.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I don't recall how much Mega Drain heals compared to the damage it does, but Akari lost 3 hitpoints from the Mega Drain.

Velitus Free: Unbind Improvised Gadgets to regain the AP.
    Velitus Shift: Meh.
    Velitus Standard: Another Struggle with an AP.
    To-hit vs AC5 (+1 for AP): (1d20+1)[18]
    Fairy Special Damage (+5 for SpAtk Focus): (2d6+23)[26]

Akari Shift: Also meh.
    Akari Standard: All you need is love Bug Bite (and AP.)
    To-hit vs AC2 (+1 for AP, +1 for Focused Training): (1d20+2)[5]
    Bug Special Damage (+5 for Bug Booster): (2d8+30)[33]
    Last edited by Llyarden; 2021-03-14 at 04:41 AM.
    "Follow the moonwalking Nosepass!"
    "Can you put the lich in a box?"

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ettin in the Playground

Moghu

While the jet of water didn't seem to hurt the Pokemon terribly, the many small hits were beginning to stack up. It charged at Rella, claws slicing through the air, but the Poliwag ducked down, avoiding the blow deftly despite its awkward land mobility.

Spoiler
    Show

Axew Shifts!
    Axew uses Scratch! It misses

Eira

Pebble was like an earthquake, sending the Torchic flying with so much force that your follow up attack passed through thin air. The pokemon tumbled to the ground, screaming in rage, as it buried its beak in your leg, hunting down a painful nerve.

Spoiler
    Show

Torchic uses Peck on Eira. It deals 14 physical flying damage
    It does not move

Velitus

Uldeen opened her mouth to respond as your blast of energy connected with her chest. Had she not ben anchored to the raft, she would have fallen into the river. Instead, she crumpled to the ground, unable to move due to the roots holding her in place.

Sheketh called the battle in your favor before heading over. He skipped lightly from raft to raft as the crowd cheered for you. You noticed your hunt-mates accepting congratulatory slaps on the back and compliments from some other members of your Clan.

Congratulations Velitus of the Twin Petals Clan, he said. The battle was well-fought. He picked up Uldeen easily before his Cacturne dragged the raft to shore, allowing you to disembark safely. He handed Uldeen off to an assistant, who began caring for her wounds.

Here, he said, handing you some salves and indicating for you to apply them. Any major injuries? he asked, all business as he checked you and Akari over for major wounds. He showed some concern for your slices, but the magic-dampeners had kept them from hitting any arteries.

Many thanks to Ceika for the wonderful avatar.

Aatos My medieval pokemon setting.

Games I'm in:
    Spoiler
    Show

Johto: Guardians of Legends as Julius Varro

World at War (PTA) as Francis May

GM of Exploring Aatos a Medieval PTA game.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

Pebble's response to her mistress falling is eerily silent. She doesn't bellow, doesn't even growl--instead, she simply rips another rock straight out of the ground and kicks it at the little bird.

Show
    Pebble

Move Action: Nope.

Standard Action: Smack Down on the Torchic.
    Accuracy (AP Used): (1d20+1)[15] vs. AC 2
    Damage: (2d6+25)[33] Rock Physical Damage
    Crit: (2d6+10)[14]
    Last edited by Zelphas; 2021-03-14 at 09:17 AM.
    Originally Posted by Xefas:
    "I need the Goblins in phalanx arrangement. Sky Blotters in the back! Swissles? Assume the Swizzle Stick Formation! We're going in!"
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ettin in the Playground

Velitus sighed in relief as the roots anchoring Uldeen to the raft didn't immediately disappear as she lost consciousness. Even knowing Soul Clan was watching, he'd still been worried about the risk of her falling into the river - especially having broken the grass flute that would've been his main method of pulling her back to safety.

It...didn't entirely sink in that he'd won until he was back on dry land (mercifully he managed to keep his footing as the raft was towed back to shore) with Sheketh looking him over. "Nothing that a few salves and a night of rest won't help with," he answered the Soul Clan member, gratefully taking the salves. Akari had slingshotted herself back onto Velitus's raft, and he checked the little Grass-type over before pulling a pinch of some finely-chopped dried berries from his own supplies, mixing the bits with one of the salves that he applied to the bruise Akari had suffered from the Chikorita's tackle - it was her only real wound, since it was the magically-enhanced snarl of the odd little fox that had done the majority of the damage to her, but the berry mixture should help her recover from the effects of the latter.

Velitus himself was, in truth, rather more wounded than Akari, but unless Sheketh explicitly ordered him otherwise he wouldn't start tending to his own wounds until he was satisfied the Swadloon was fine - which, admittedly, didn't take too long; her leafy suit might have been ragged and in places and a little dried-out from Uldeen's magic, but she looked like she was still raring to fight. It was difficult to read the expression of a Swadloon, but she definitely looked more than a little proud. (And deservedly so as far as Velitus was concerned; he was pretty sure she could've won the fight even without him.)

5. - Top - End - #215
    Titan in the Playground

After rolling aside from the green Pokemon's attack, Rella simply fires out another blast of water, using the change in elevation to her advantage.

Spoiler
    Show
    Rella
    Action: Water Gun again!
    AC 2: (1d20+2)[17]
    Damage (Water, Special): (2d6+24)[34]
    Critical: (2d6+8)[17]
    Props to Ceika for the new and improved avatar!

Spoiler: Quotes
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by IrnBruAddict
    Yeah, but Arcran is the GM. Can we be sure of anything?
    I always picture Arc as LE, with CE tendancies
    Quote Originally Posted by Espirit15
    Arc is a good GM. Evil, but a good GM

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ettin in the Playground

Eira

This time Pebble connected, and connected hard. The bird went flying away despite its lack of wings, and Pebble immediately trotted over to your body, nuzzling it with concern.

You woke up to Pebble's giant horn in your vision as the grogginess receded, only to see Ithgar's upside down face. His teeth were bared in a grin. Would you look at that? Ice does beat Fire sometimes. Good work Eira of Weavile Clan. You've passed the Trial of the Clan Soul.

He tried to help you up, but Pebble easily boxed him out in his eagerness to help you. You saw Uldeen, who had lost an earlier match, holding some leaves under Malta's nose, who was beginning to wake up too.

In the crowd, you Reith flitted into the front lines for only a second to place his fore and index finger of his right hand to his forehead tattoo, a sign of congratulations and respect in your clan. He faded away again quickly, but you were fairly certain you'd be able to find him once more if you wanted to go chat with him.

Velitus
    Good, Sheketh said properly. You have passed the Trial of the Clan Soul. He glanced at some of the other fights going on. Sadly it looks like the desert did not have a good showing this year, he grinned at you. His smile was gentler than Ithgars, not seeking to assert dominance constantly.

In any case, you seem in remarkably good shape all things considered. It was probably the most one sided match so far.

Moghu

Rella connected solidly, and the jet of water sent the pokemon tumbling down the hill. Rella allowed himself a moment of pride, his tatoos dancing, before he started waddling over to you.

The Soul Clan Shaman, Hulloth, reached you first. You woke to her tending the worst of your wounds. Moghu of Paras Clan, you have passed the Trial of the Clan Soul. She helped you up, and you saw a pinkish pokemon helping Kurtakh to his feet. He gave you a nod and salute before heading to see to his own pokemon.

Didn't think Paras Clan were made this big, the Shaman commented as she shoved a bundle of herbs under your nose. Usually those who make it this far are so small I could fit them in my pocket. Oh, and you'll want to get that looked at, she prodded the rib that Kurtakh had hit, and it flared up in pain. Make sure you head to the healing tent.

As always, your connection to the Great Mother was fainter than it had been before the fire, but there was minimal nausea, and you could have sworn you felt approval. Inneq was lifting his spear in the air, but didn't shriek like some of the Zubat Clan spectators had.

All

The battles took around two hours to run them all, and you were near the beginning. There was a healing tent where you and your team could be fully healed, and many of the other contestants were busy watching the matches. You had a chance to socialize with them, the Soul Clan members when they weren't busy, or even go chat with your mentors. You could even watch a few of the matches if you cared to.

Spoiler
    Show
    Take a Pokemon Center Healing! Assume that your 4 matches were staggered so that they were close so you could see them fight, but not so close that they happened simultaneously.

Games I'm in:
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #217
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

Eira springs up, unconsciously using Pebble's horn for purchase as she does so; it is only when she's fully on her feet that the fact that the battle is over finally penetrates her consciousness. She sees Reith's gesture and responds with a middle knuckle to her own forehead: acknowledgment of the compliment without personal exultation. It went well, but could've gone better.

She matches Ithgar grin for grin, with roughly the same meaning behind each smile. "How far north have you been?" she retorts, feeling the familiar sensation of frost creeping over her injuries and dulling the pain somewhat. "Eventually, Ice always wins." She glances over to Malta and nods to her in respect, still grinning. If the girl seems to be at least somewhat of a good sport, she'll go over and congratulate her; if not, she'll debate going over just to annoy her, but decide to tend to her own wounds first.

---

Hmm... he might want to keep a watchful eye out after this, Eira thinks, watching Jayce finish off Felt's Spearow. Felt seems like one to hold unnecessary grudges. She flinches back slightly at the screeches from the Zubat Clan, looking over at them in surprise. I thought they were a quieter group; that sound could travel even in the tundra!

---

Eira blinks, watching Velitus shoot down Uldeen with a sudden blast of power from his staff. I didn't get that kind of feeling from him before; good for him for keeping that kind of power hidden away from everyone. She gives a speculative look at Akari, but decides that she and Omen could probably deal with her neatly enough. Still, credit where it's do; he made a better showing than I did purely from a 'people left standing' perspective.

---

Eira's review of Moghu's fight is a fair bit simpler than the others. What a straightforward slugfest, she thinks, watching Kurtakh, Moghu, and their Pokemon trade blows. Then again, add in some ice and fire and I guess my fight probably didn't look much different.

---

Eira settles in to watch the last brawl between the final three contestants, Omen panting happily at her side. Everyone had seen the Houndour at this point, after all, so there was no reason to conceal him any longer. Frankly, she almost would've preferred to fight in a bigger brawl like this; larger fights gave more opportunities to disappear and to spin things to her own advantage.

"I believe I acted more like a Glalie than a Weavile with my opening strikes," she says idly to the air, sure without quite knowing how that Reith is close enough to hear her. "With how flammable the grass was all around us, it seemed foolish to give her the first strike. 'It's easier to defeat a wounded enemy than to fight a healthy one', after all."

Show
    Eira's up for talking with any of the other players, if any of you want to do so.
    "I need the Goblins in phalanx arrangement. Sky Blotters in the back! Swissles? Assume the Swizzle Stick Formation! We're going in!"
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ettin in the Playground

At Sheketh's comment about the one-sided fight, Velitus glanced over to check Uldeen hadn't yet woken up to hear the remark before replying. "I don't think I can take too much credit for that," he remarked drily, nodding down at Akari. Once he'd finished tending to his own wounds, he (somewhat gingerly) got up and made his way over to Uldeen to see if she wanted to talk to him before rejoining the crowd as a whole - she might have lost, but her magic had been incredibly powerful, probably stronger than his even despite the resonance of the items he'd collected, and he had absolutely no objections about asking her for advice and offering his own knowledge in return. It was the role of a storyteller to gain and share knowledge, after all.

---

There are only predators and prey... Velitus frowned as he watched Jayce and his Psyduck take out Felt's last Pokemon in a combined attack, remembering what she'd said to him the night before. I hope she'll be okay after that. He knew all too well that one's own Clan wasn't always welcoming.

---

After seeing that Eira's fight would be situated in the thick grasses, he was a little surprised to see that it had devolved into much more of a brawl than a drawn-out process of hunter and hunted. The fact that they both had fire-spitting Pokemon was probably behind that, of course.

---

The fight between Kurtakh and Moghu was every bit as brutal and primeval as he'd expected it to be when he'd seen that they were going up against each other, and even if from a logical perspective he'd likely have been best-suited to fighting one of them had Uldeen not been his opponent...he was definitely very glad that he'd ended up with Uldeen, rather dramatic type advantage he'd had over her or no.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Titan in the Playground

Moghu blinked back to consciousness with a start, looking around for Rella. When he saw her completely uninjured and waiting beside him, he let out a sigh of relief. They had managed to win. He returned Kuratkh's salute before turning back to Hulloth.

Thank you, Moghu says, touching the spot on his ribs that Hulloth had indicated and wincing. Still, the shaman's words seemed to be coming to Moghu through a haze. He had felt approval from his tattoos! The Great Mother had noticed his deeds, and She had deemed them worthy!

When Hulloth's work was done, Moghu stood, patting Rella on the head as he did so, and made his way to the healing tent, but not before making eye contact with Inneq and raising his spear, allowing himself a victorious grin that quickly turned into a grimace from the pain. He would need to find Kurtakh later and congratulate hte other boy; few had knocked Moghu down like that, and hopefully few would again.

Moghu spent all of Eira's fight standing as far as he could from the ring, watching the flames get slung back and forth. While part of him had selfishly wanted to prove himself against a Fire-mage, he now found himself glad that he wouldn't have to deal with this particular matchup. The flaming bird and hound were both unfamiliar to him, and Moghu found himself studying their styles intently, just in case.

Either way, Eira seemed to handle the fight handily, but Moghu made a note not to keep an eye on her. With her stealth, Fire, and Ice, she was certainly a threat to the Paras, small stature aside.

The battle between Velitus and Uldeen brought a small grin to Moghu's face. Velitus' Pokemon seemed to use many techniques similar to the Paras, and used them to great effect. Even more, Velitus was using the strange power he had displayed against the Gumshoos to great effect, and Uldeen did not seem to stand a chance. While he had a hard time following the magical duel compared to the other battles, Moghu quickly developed a healthy amount of respect for the other boy.

Jayce's battle was perhaps the biggest surprise for Moghu. From the way Felt carried herself, he had expected her to be a great warrior. On the other hand, Moghu had thought Jayce was a simple scout, and not one to be watched. Those initial impressions were crushed as Moghu watched Jayce pummel Felt into the ground with stones with hardly a scratch on him. He tried to not be too overtly pleased with Felt's loss, but the defeat of a Flying-clan, even by another Flying-clan, was always a good thing.

Moghu started at the screeches of the Zubat; were they surprised by the victory as well? Either way, Moghu's mental hierarchy of the contestants shifted considerably after the battle.

After his time at the healing tent was finished, Moghu made his way to find Jayce, intending to congratulate the other boy for his battle against Felt. After eventually finding him, Moghu stood awkwardly in front of him, making too much eye contact. I did not expect you to win. You fought very well, he says simply, before nodding and making his way to find Hulloth. When he eventually finds her Moghu gets her attention, then asks a question.

Can you tell me of the other Paras that have made it this far in the Trials? Moghu asks, simply curious. He knew that he likely didn't fight like the other Paras had, especially the Spore-Speakers. The question was whether the Spore-Speaker's style or that of the Flame-Hunters was superior, which, given his victory here, seemed to have a rather simple way to measure. Does my Clan usually fare well in the battles?
    Last edited by Arcran; 2021-03-15 at 08:37 AM.

Show

10. - Top - End - #220
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Jayce could hardly believe it was over and he was the victor. Felt had seemed so formidable at first, but things were stacked in his favor surely. "Thank you." He says simply, still processing the battle. I only won because I was fighting on favorable ground. And she could have taken a shot while I was still wondering when the fight was starting. Be looks over at his Clan, a little embarrassed but glad they were happy for him.

He decided not to walk over to Felt right now. Her pride would undoubtedly be quite damaged at this point. If she wanted anything to do with him, she'd come herself. He waited around to watch how Beshelt would do in her match, that was the one he was most interested in. The others were a blur in his mind, not feeling strongly one way or the other about the outcomes, save for his own. All of them were impressive in their own way, but given a different terrain, Jayce may have lost just as easily.

So he goes to wish Beshelt luck before her match, before ending up next to Eira. "Hey there, congratulations on the win. I wasn't sure how your opponent would be, but I knife you'd come out strong."

11. - Top - End - #221
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

"You too," Eira acknowledges Jayce with a grin. "I'm only sad that you got to clip Felt's wings instead of me. I was hoping to test her confidence myself." No need to show weakness in front of other Clans. My fight was sloppy, but I won it, and that means I survived.

She stretches out a bit on the grass, still surprised by the feel of a natural substance that's both soft and warm. "So, any ideas about what comes next?" she asks curiously, her eyes on the fight as it warms up. "My Clan doesn't come to this thing often, so we have few stories about what happens here."
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ettin in the Playground

Eira

The Glalie taught you well then, Reith said, materializing seemingly from thin air. Your stay with them broadened your horizons. The clans in the south collaborate more often than we do, which is perhaps a lesson we could learn. The glacier never - he cut off his speech as he noticed Jayce approaching and slipped back into the crowd.

Velitus

Uldeen sighed as you made your way into the healing tent. She looked alright, but both of her pokemon were still in the hands of the apprentice healer who ran the center. Congratulations are in order, she said. I must say this is the trial that I thought I would have the best shot at, not the one I would lose. Scents on the breeze I suppose, the phrase was an Oddish Clan axiom, and while your clans didn't interact a ton, you were close enough in the Open Forest to have met enough to picked up some of their oddities.

Your power doesn't come from the land does it? It comes from the items you collect? I've never met a Shaman like that.

Moghu

Inneq returned your raised spear with a half-howl, half-bellow that shocked Petra, who was standing next to him, Beshelt, and Yueh, anxiously awaiting their match.

When you asked the question of Hulloth, she grinned wickedly. Your clan's quite the odd one, and I'm not talking about the tattoos. The Paras who have come before you are masters of connecting with the natural world, better than me even, though my true strength lies in barriers and protective rites. They find it odd bonding with things that aren't covered in mushrooms, but once they get over that, it's an easy walk through the Trial of the World Soul.

Then they and their Paras simply put to sleep their enemies in this trial. Never seen one of your Paras miss with its spores.
    She sighed, running her hand through her hair. But they're nothing like you. They never get their hands dirty themselves, usually just recusing themselves totally from the fight. You seem to be the opposite. No magic. All muscle. Lots of scars.

It's like your clan specializes its members to the extreme. It's certainly unique, and not something most clans do. Until I met you and your master, I half-figured your whole clan was made of shamans. I assume you're a warrior for your clan? Or at least, you'll become one soon?

In any case, maybe a warrior will succeed in the Trial of the Name Soul. That's usually where your group fails from what I've heard. I'll admit I'm curious based on what I've heard from some of the past examiners.

To Those Watching the Beshelt/Petra/Yueh Match

The match between your final three teammates took place in the berry patch, and ended up being a surprisingly one-sided affair. Petra's bird pokemon quickly went for Yueh, who went toe to toe with them using a small teleporting yellow pokemon and her sonic-based attacks.

Meanwhile, Beshelt took her time, collecting berries and slowly raising the power of her team. When she finally waded into battle, she moved nearly as quickly as Malta and Eira, her twin daggers flashing. Teamed up on, Yueh quickly fell, and Petra didn't pose even a significant challenge to the girl in his weakened state. She and her pokemon showed remarkable teamwork, striking in unison and slipping in quick nips and strikes when an opponent was focused on their other half. It almost felt like watching an entire pack hunt as one.

At the end of the battle, she raced up to anyone watching. Well that was fun! At least this time I got to stretch my muscles a bit. Wish it could've been one of you lot though, then I might've worked up a sweat.
    Last edited by CosmicOccurence; 2021-03-15 at 07:38 PM.

Games I'm in:
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #223
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

The glacier never grew on its own, maybe? Eira ponders the slightly unfamiliar truism that Reith had begun before Jayce arrived. Her elder's reaction drove home to her the difference between her Clan and others here. Clan Weavile truly is... insular. Even my connection to other families within the Clan is strange. She ponders this for a long moment, as she waits for the three-way battle to begin. With our solitary, untrusting nature... will we be able to settle with each other, once we find our Home again? Or will it just become another Great Scrawl, another place where we visit for a moment and then leave, too paranoid and restless to stand next to the fire and rest?

Her thoughts are distracted, thankfully, by the onset of the three-way fight. Eira quickly picks up on Beshelt's strategy and grins to herself. "Well, one of them knows how to hunt," she comments to Jayce once, watching Beshelt slowly strengthen her team and pick her time to enter the fray. This battle ended the moment Yueh and Petra chose only to fight each other.

"Are you sure?"
    Eira responds to Beshelt's comment. "You seemed to enjoy your berry-picking, and I would have demanded that you share your bounty before you were done."
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ettin in the Playground

"Thanks," Velitus said, quietly. "I know this may sound strange given that I was the victor, but...I'm sorry you lost."

He paused for a couple of moments to consider her next question. "I learned to find items that resonated with power and use them to amplify existing power while I was training as a shaman," he answered her, "but that more direct power..." He wasn't going to admit aloud that he only had the vaguest, most instinctive sense of how it worked. "My Clans teach that everything in the world is connected, and that by listening to our Clan Soul we can learn - and do - anything. Our greatest Shamans tap into their Clan Souls to predict what will come by the way flowers bloom and grasses rustle. So...that's where my power comes from, I think."

---

Velitus had drifted over to watch the last fight as well, in the absence of anything else to do, and was not even remotely surprised that Beshelt beat the other two easily. If anything, he was more surprised that Beshelt even needed to take the time collecting berries to be able to best them, though he supposed it gave her something else to do while Petra and Yueh focused on each other. Her fighting style reminded him somewhat of the way Eira had worked with her Pokemon - an entirely different way of fighting to his own.

He did go to check on Yueh and Petra once they'd been tended to by the healers, though.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Titan in the Playground

We defend the others, Moghu says simply in response to Hulloth's question, nodding slightly. Thank you for the help; I've never seen a Spore-Speaker in battle, and was curious, Moghu continued, wincing slightly at the backlash from his tattoos. He had hoped his earlier victory might have earned him some leeway, but it seemed that the secrets of the Paras Clan, no matter how mundane, would need to stay that way. Still, Hulloth had provided him valuable information and Moghu felt odd giving nothing in return. There are many types of mushrooms, and many types of Paras, the boy finally settles on.

The fact that he was as far as any Paras had ever made it in the Trials was not lost on him, and brought him no small amount of selfish pride.

Thank you for your wisdom. Hopefully I can live up to your expectations in the Trial of the World Soul, and bring honor to my Clan, Moghu says, thanking Hulloth again before he left to try to catch the final match.

After watching the one-sided battle between the trio, Moghu grinned slightly. Beshelt's strategy had been simple, but allowing the others to weaken themselves in battle had certainly been effective. Was that how a Shroom-Brewer would have fought? Collecting resources before finally charging into battle? Moghu knew he would have simply fought both which, after watching that battle, likely would have ended in disaster for him.

When she raced up to the group, Moghu nodded at her, grinning with a bit too much of his teeth, as if it was an unfamiliar motion. You make your clan proud, Moghu says, nodding sagely. You and your Pokemon move well, like two spears striking at once, he continues, thinking of how at-odds with his own fighting style it is.

Show

16. - Top - End - #226

RedKnightGirl

Jayce waves away the compliment, "I had a strong advantage with the terrain. It wasn't far off from the mountains of the Spine. In the berry field or river, I wouldn't have done as well."

Then he watches the match and recalls what he heard from the Mightyena Clan. "All I know is that it's no longer a competition between us. The third trial tests your Name Soul and everyone's pretty secretive about it. It all makes me nervous." He pauses and lowers his voice. "You know, I saw Absol again. This time very close. I think it's something to do with Jirachi specifically. Of course this is the year they have me of all people compete. It should have been Garet." He knew he wasn't supposed to think like that, but that was easier than the idea that it was meant to be him. If he was meant to be here, what next would be expected of him?

As Beshelt approaches, "You see? I was most worried about that field and I think I would have tried something similar. I wouldn't have wanted to face you."

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ettin in the Playground

With Beshelt

The girl laughs at Eira's comment, and tossed you a few berries. They looked tasty, but weren't of any of the more useful varieties that enhanced strength in battle.

To Moghu, she replied, Two spears is all I can manage right now. Get me and my pack mates together though, and we're like a rain of arrows. Fighting alone definitely isn't my preference.

To Jayce, the girl merely smiled when he said he wouldn't want to face her in battle. No, you wouldn't, and her teeth-grin looked just like Ithgar's in that moment. Ithgar was not the only Mightyena to revel in the thrill of wildness it seemed.

In any case, you all ready for the third trial? This is the one where they dig around in our heads, right? That's totally going to be enjoyable. I just know it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Feel free to also respond to Jayce's Absol/Jirachi comment if you'd like. We're doing some weird things with time here!

It seems like things are wrapping up, so unless you all have anything you want to do, we'll probably move on afte rthe next round unless you all end up in a longer conversation with each other.

Velitus

That's totally different from us. Uldeen shared. The amount of lectures I got about Be the flower. Become the flower. Feel the flower flowering within the flower of your spirit, I can't even count, she put on a deep voice, clearly mocking one of her teachers in good fun.

Then I went and manifested tree magic ... and that was when everything went crazy. Dad even accused my mother of sleeping with a Shiftry Clan. No, respectable Oddish get flower magic of the Belossom, or poison magic of the Vileplume. I was hoping this would be my redemption, but that's spores in the wind now.

Felt and Malta lost too, so perhaps we were just training wrong this whole time. In any case, congratulations. Think you'll make it all the way?

Games I'm in:
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ettin in the Playground

"I'm sorry to hear that," Velitus said, as Uldeen explained her...complicated...relationship with her own Clan. In truth he'd never really understood the idea behind magic being passed through blood - he was a prime example, neither of his parents having magical power (at least, he didn't think his father did.)

When she asked him if he thought he was going to pass the final trial, he paused for a couple of moments. "Honestly...I have no idea. I'd like to think I'm true to myself, but...I mean, I don't even know that that's what the trial of the Name Soul will be testing. It would be pretty difficult to be sure you could pass a trial when you don't know what the trial is." He'd been about to say that it would take a great deal of arrogance, but Uldeen's remark reminded him in time that she was friends with Felt and he wouldn't have been at all surprised if Felt had confidently declared she'd be able to pass the third trial.

"So...did you, Felt and Malta know each other before the Clansmeet?" he asked, more to move the conversation away from his near-misstep than anything else.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

Before Beshelt

Eira glances over at Jayce, shocked; if she had fur, it would be standing on end. "Absol showed up pointing directly at where Jirachi is, and we're going to be heading there next?! Wonderful." She shakes herself once, taking a deep breath. "Nothing to be done about it now, I guess. I don't think anyone here's willing to withdraw." She skims over Jayce's comments about himself competing; if he's uncomfortable, it's none of her business.

With Beshelt

Eira looks over the Berries suspiciously, then decides that Beshelt has no reason to poison her anymore and eats them quickly; battles are hungry affairs, after all. "Digging around in our heads, huh? Sounds... fun." Her father's voice has started up in her mind again, instantly suspicious of anything that might pry into important secrets or discover weaknesses. Eira tends to agree with it, but as she said before, there's nothing much to be done about things now.
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #230
    Titan in the Playground

I am not excited, Moghu states, missing the sarcasm in Beshelt's tone. Truth be told, Moghu was less concerned with the rooting around his head than with how his tattoos would respond to the probing. Would the third trial temporarily silence the Great Mother, like had happened before? Or would he be juggling with both in his mind at once?

Moghu's tattoos shifted uncomfortably at his continued probing, and he let out an uncomfortable grunt. We will all pass though, discomfort aside. This final trial should be simple compared to taming a Nidoking, no? Moghu stated to reassure the others, not believing it himself. After all, how did one prepare for an inspection of one's soul?
    Last edited by Arcran; 2021-03-18 at 08:46 AM.

Show

21. - Top - End - #231

RedKnightGirl

"In our heads?" Jayce is shocked to hear about that, and more than a little concerned. This would be where he failed. Exactly where he was weak, especially right now. Maybe it would be better that way.

No, it wouldn't. He was a stand in for his brother and anything less than success would be a disservice to him. I have to master these thoughts.

"I don't know if you can ever be ready for that kind of test. Still, we have to try and keep our waits about us. These omens make me think there's something different about this year."

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ettin in the Playground

Velitus

Malta and I fostered in the Fearow Clan at five summers, Uldeen explained. Two summers later they both spent the Fall with me, and it was only last year that Felt and I spent a winter in the Fennekin Clan camp.

We may not be clan, but we're as good as.
    She sighed. Maybe its a good thing that none of us passed. If only one of us had, I certainly would have been jealous. This way we can revel in our sorrow together.

I do hope you make it Velitus,
    she said. If nothing else, you're the only Open Forester left now. With that, she headed over to Felt and Malta, who were waiting for her.

All

It was mid-afternoon when the eight contestants left followed Ithgar, Sheketh, and Hulloth to the Stone Circle. It rose above you, a fang of stone protruding into the open air on which the henge stood. What looked to be a permanent Soul Clan settlement sat at its base. It consisted of seven or so dirt-packed buildings in vaguely domed shapes.

Four of the others were familiar with you, being from your group in the first Trial. Only three joined from the other group: there had been a nasty double elimination from a self-destructing Koffing, which had stunk up the berry arena for almost an entire hour.

Two of the contestants were Islanders. One bore the iconic marks of the Lapras Clan: a neck inked entirely in the blue hues of the ocean. He was tall and lean, like many of the clans who lived on the water, and carried a bundled up net. Another bore the Kaleidescope temple tattoos of the Beautifly Clan. He had fought with a series of poisoned darts, putting foes to sleep before finishing them one at a time. The third came from the mountains. She had a single ring tatooed on her throat, which Jayce recognized as the mark of a child of the Whismur Clan.

Hulloth led the way to a cleared out circle that lay at the very tip of the shadow cast by the Stone Circle. A pot made out of some sort of solid substance that looked almost like rock. Inside it a clear broth bubbled softly. A pinkish pokemon with floral patterns floated above it, drinking in the fumes that wafted skyward.

As you all circled around the area, Hulloth bent, stirring the mixture with a spoon made of the same strange material. You all are to be commended for making it this far, she began. Her voice was not wild like Ithgar's or imperious like Sheketh's. Instead, it reverberated in the space, bouncing off the stones and speaking of eons of time flowing through their ripples. She spoke with the rhythms of tradition.

Welcome to the Trial of the Name Soul. It is the most personal of our souls. It contains within in it all that makes you who you are. And it is the Name Soul which Jirachi has blessed us with. Without our Name Soul, none of us would be individuals with our own thoughts, feelings and emotions. Having it tested is perhaps the most vulnerable action a person can take.

If you pass this trial, then tonight you will make the journey up the Stone Circle to petition a wish from Jirachi. Are you prepared for your Final Trial?

Spoiler: Gen Education DC 7 (4 for Jayce)
    Show

The pot is made of Bronze, a material that is incredibly rare, but some clans in the mountains have learned to work it into usable shapes. It is jealously guarded, and rarely seen outside of those clans' use.

Spoiler: "Pokemon Edu DC 7
    Show

This pokemon is a Musharna, a pokemon capable of producing vivid dreams in victims and 'eating' them. They are rare, but mostly found in the Deep Forest

Games I'm in:
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #233
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

Eira looks around at the dwellings of the Soul Clan curiously, her father's voice still stubbornly speaking in her mind. Even Soul Clan has a permanent place to be attacked; everyone has a target on them but Clan Weavile. Everyone has a home, but Clan Weavile. Distracted by the argument in her own head and the sightings of Absol that have yet to come to fruition, she pays little mind to the other initiates except to note that none are from the Far North. Their world is so different from ours; they gather without weapons, in such large numbers, and have no fear of battle.

Hulloth's question brings Eira back to the present somewhat, though the mention of a wish still catches her by surprise a bit. The elders mentioned something about that, but Clan Weavile is practical; I don't know if any of them truly expect a wish to be granted, or anything to occur. I wasn't even given instruction on what to wish for--that would be my father's right as the head of our family, and he didn't even mention that I was being volunteered until it happened.

Despite her turbulent thoughts, Eira steps forward again, just as she did at the beginning of the Trials. "Prepared or not, I am here," she says simply, "and I will not refuse the Trial."
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #234
    Titan in the Playground

Moghu carefully sized up the other competitors; as they hadn't been in their group initially, he hadn't gotten nearly as good of a look at them. Fortunately, none of the three looked particularly strong, although that was somewhat irrelevant for the current situation.

The Paras Clansman's eyes did go wide when he saw the bronze pot; the Paras didn't work metal due to the flames involved, and something like this would be priceless for the Paras. Metal-tipped spears would allow Moghu to defend the Great Mother far better, and he idly wondered how difficult it would be to get someone from the mountains to give him some; while he doubted Jayce or the Whismur clan member would know, perhaps they could point him in the right direction?

As Hulloth began mixing the mixture Moghu snapped back to attention, focusing on the here and now. The Musharna was familiar enough to Moghu: they were easy prey for a Paras. Hopefully that fact will not hurt me in the Trial, Moghu thought to himself, a hint of fear creeping in before Moghu steeled himself. He had come this far, making it as far as any Paras had before. He deserved to be here, and he would claim a wish for his clan.

I am ready.

Show

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ettin in the Playground

They manage to foster friendships regardless of their Clans, and here I am with a Clan that feels like it's close to tearing itself apart at times.

"Thank you,"
    Velitus said aloud, before taking his leave.

---

A Musharna...is that how they test us? Delve into our deepest dreams?

He wanted to ask what was to be done with their Pokemon, but he couldn't bring himself to interrupt the tradition with such trivial practicalities. So instead he simply pulled Hana's Apricorn Ball from his garments, holding it lightly in one hand so he could place it somewhere or hand it to Hulloth easily if she asked.

He couldn't help but nod slightly in agreement with Eira. How could anyone be truly prepared for something like this?

"I'm ready."

26. - Top - End - #236

RedKnightGirl

This was it, the end of the road. Jayce had no idea how this trial was going to go or how'd he fare. Would he be the same afterwards? Was he in a strong enough mental state to handle it? He'd better be.

Recalling his Guru's encouragement, Jayce steeled himself and took slow, measured breaths. He did not look at the other competitors, they were not against him anymore. At least not directly. There was a lot of pressure to perform well here too, so he took Darius' advice and just listened as the instructions were given.

With closed eyes, Jayce replies simply, "I am ready." Already that felt like lie.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: all
    Show

As a side note, I've been working on a world map that we can fill out as we play/explore. I tried to add a clan that each of you would know, but was having trouble coming up with one for Velitus.

Feel free to shift around your clan marker to a place where you feel is more appropriate if you'd like. For Zubat/Weavile, I marked the sacred spot since you're more mobile with a pretty wide territory. The Jirachi is the location of the clansmeet.

I dont know if this will see a ton of use, but it was something I was interested in doing. Let me know if there's anything you feel like should be on it!

When Beshelt and the others voiced their affirmation, Hulloth nodded. Then we will begin. Your pokemon cannot come with you on your journey, and should not interfere with the trial.

She began to spoon the mixture into small cups made of carved wood. This is essence of Nightberry, a rare fruit from my clan's lands that brings vivid nightmares. With my Dreamflower's assistance, she patted the Musharna, You will enter a dream consisting of your worst fears. Dreamflower will share your dreams with us, allowing us to judge this trial.

The things you see will be disturbing, potentially to the point of mental scarring for the weak of mind. As such, I have brewed in a safety mechanism. At any time, you may choose to wake up. Doing so does not mean that you automatically have failed your trial.

Take a minute to let your pokemon know what will happen, and then we shall begin.
    When you were ready, you lay down on one of the small beds and drank a single cup of the clear liquid. It smelled almost odorless, but the scent carried in it was just out of reach, no matter how hard you tried to grasp at it. Over the course of the next few minutes, your vision began to swirl, tendrils of darkness encroaching on your vision, before you found youself standing in a field of pure black. And from that blackness, shapes began to form.

Jayce

The shadows coalesced into a familiar scene. It was not unusual for your parents to take their meals with their family away from the group every once in a while. This alcove was one of their favorites, located near the southern edge of the Spine.

They appeared, wisps of shadow becoming their living embodiements. Your father handed you a roasted leg of Dubwool, saying nothing. They'd talked much less since news of Garet's death had arrived, and had been nearly silent since you returned from your trials, having brought back shame to your parent's names.

Even worse, you'd been failing at even the most basic of tasks for the clan, unable to keep a single route in your head. You'd failed as a guide, had shown no magical aptitude worth mentioning, and aside from a single fluke with Felt, had yet to demonstrate your ability to protect the tribe from threats. You knew that they were considering making you a water hauler, a job normally reserved as punishment or reserved for pack pokemon.

And so your parents ate in silence, as they had each night these past three months.

Velitus

The shadows spun and wove, creating a multitude of shapes. Scurrying figures with the colorful tattoos of your clan, packs sealed for a long trip, Ponyta chomping at the bit, ready for a journey.

And yet your tent stood upright, as had been ordered. Your performance at the trials, showing off your magic instead of spending more time uplifting the stories of your clan, had led for you to be exiled. Soon a dyemaster would come by to cover as many tattoos as was possible, though the clan feared they wouldn't be able to hide all of them. Even in exile you would bring shame to your clan.

And so they were moving camp, and you would be left behind. Alone. They'd even taken Hana, saying that the rare pokemon was too valuable for you to keep, and she would be better off with a real Shaman, like Resh. You could see them: Resh, Ineya, and Orren, packing their bags and laughing. Skiran was packing his herbs as well, moving slowly in his age. Even your old childhood friends laughed as they tossed bundles of hide and fur into a large pack that would be loaded into a canoe.

And none approached you, avoiding you unconsciously, and avoiding looking at you when possible.

Eira

As the shadows bent into tunnels of darkness, they began to shine a light blue color. Soon, they had formed themselves into an easily recognizable location: the Great Scrawl. Not the actual Scrawl of course, but the tunnels nearby. You'd been here often enough to know them well.

But through these ice-passages, the unmistakable sounds of battle rang out. Cries of pain, screeches from pokemon, and the crashing of powerful attacks in close quarters combat echoed through the halls, reverberating powerfully.

And at your feet, blood slowly flowing into slits in the ice, was the body of a Weavile Clan girl. You didn't recognize her, as she couldn't have been more than seven summer old. She'd been rent by sharp claws reminiscent of a Weavile's.

War had visited the Great Scrawl.

Moghu

The three Spore-Speakers sat cross-legged on the moss covered stumps as the shadows formed bodies. At first they sat in the eternal darkness, staring at you. As time went on, you began to see patches of mushrooms sprout, trees rise into the air, and spores float in front of your face. And behind the Spore Speakers was a cavern, one that you had not set foot in since your birth: the cavern of the Great Mother.

We are here to pass judgement on Moghu Flame Hunter, the central figure said. He was old, even for Paras Clan which lived longer than most. For he has been carless enough to lose the blessing of the Great Mother,

You remember that you'd lost it when the Emberfields to the east of your lands had begun to spread in a windstorm. You'd once again fought the fire with all you had. Inneq had passed. Your tattoo had been burned totally away. You could no longer sense the presence of your other clan members, no longer hear the Great Mother's Voice. You were totally alone in the clan. Even other Flame Hunter's refused to speak or look at you.

It is highly unusual to go into the cavern before your death, he continued. Why should we bother the Great Mother with one such as yourself?

Games I'm in:
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #238
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

Eira simply leaves Omen and Pebble in their Apricorns; Pebble will only be confused, and Omen has found his way into places he shouldn't have been before, so it's best to simply leave them be. She takes the draught of Nightberry essence with trepidation and lays back, uncertain of what exactly her subconscious would show her.

----

Eira almost panics and wakes herself up immediately. Not because of the sounds of battle and bloodshed. Not even because of the corpse of a child lying in front of her. No, she very nearly backs out in panic because she knows this is a dream, and that others can see it. I can't--this is Weavile's alone! No other Clan can ever see this! she thinks more in panic than in anger, looking around at the familiar walls of the Great Scrawl wildly. They can't see this! They can't know about this!

One thing stops her from immediately waking herself up: she is not near the entrance to the cave system. It is already horrible that anyone is seeing her Clan's deepest secret through her, but she convinces herself that so long as they never see either the glacier or the entrance, she can still protect her Clan. It isn't perfect, and she can still feel the edges of a completely different panic in her awareness, but she pushes it back. The Trial will continue.

Grimly, Eira bends down, closing the eyes of the murdered child. This cannot be the future. This will not be my future. This is my fear, not a guarantee. I will not allow it. Straightening up, she listens for a scant moment and then begins to run, her steps silent on the icy rock of the tunnels. First, find my family. Allies as well, if I can. Stop the fight as soon as possible. Then we can start to work through the rest. She thinks it to herself, more to protect herself from what she is about to see than out of any real hope. Now that she is in the nightmare, she knows what her true fear is, and it's too late to stop it.

Her rage at this nightmare shows through despite her rigid, expressionless face and her silent running. Her hands are curled slightly, and each finger is tipped with long, straight, wickedly sharp icicles. To any member of Clan Weavile, her silent run matched with her bared weaponry would send a clear message: she is hunting prey. If you get in her way, you become her prey.

Hoping against herself that the nightmare won't truly contain her greatest fear, Eira runs towards the loudest source of fighting.

Show
    This probably doesn't matter, since it's a nightmare, but just in case it does:

Stealth: (4d6+4)[14]
    Perception: (2d6)[4]
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #239
    Ettin in the Playground

Velitus nodded as Hulloth noted that their Pokemon wouldn't be able to interfere, stepping back from the cauldron a little to beckon Akari over, sending Hana out to join her. "Well, this is it." He knew they couldn't understand him enough to know what he was really staying, wished that Yueh could've been there to translate for him. Absently he reached out and straightened some of Akari's stray foliage, fished a couple of small pieces of dried berry peel to give to the duo as a little treat.

"You two can't come with me for this part. Stay here, and stay calm. I'm just going to be asleep." He didn't even convince himself, never mind whether his Pokemon would believe him, but he was hoping Hana's scent would work to keep Akari calm, and the little Fairy-type was fairly mellow and passive anyway.

---

There was a tiny smile on the corners of Velitus's lips as the memories-that-weren't drifted into his mind. Yes, clearly I should have told Uldeen stories about Resh and the others until she surrendered out of sheer boredom. I'm sure that would've earned my success in the Trial of the Clan Soul. His smile faded. ...of course, the ludicrousness of it in no way stops it being plausible. If Resh and the others decided to claim I hadn't been doing my duties, everyone would believe them regardless of the truth.

Then he realised Hana was missing. No, Hana had been taken from him, the Nightberries whispered. Taken from him by the elders and given to the smirking Resh who hadn't even bothered to school his expression into an appropriately stern one.

There's no way that idiot has the patience to work with Hana. Thank the spirits I managed to procure her an Apricorn Ball, at least, or she'd likely not even survive this migration before becoming the prey of some passing predator Resh didn't bother to worry about.

For a moment the idea came to him to just reclaim Hana. After all, this was a dream, and there was no guarantee its rules followed anything even resembling reality. Maybe it would've been possible - and it wasn't as though he could bring further shame to his Clan. Not when they weren't his Clan any more. It would bring shame to himself, perhaps, but to ensure Hana's safety...perhaps that was worth it.

"...no." He shook his head. "Dream or no, I won't disgrace what Skiran and the elders taught me in the true world."

Akari chirruped up at him, curiously. Had she been there the whole time, or had she merely been conjured up by the Nightberries when he'd started to wonder where she was?

"At least you're still here," he said quietly, reaching down to pet the Swadloon.

Even if the Nightberries only let me keep her so tearing her away will hurt all the more...at least I'm not alone for now.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Titan in the Playground

Moghu releases both Podax and Rella, placing one hand on the densest cluster of tattoos on both of the Pokemon. It wouldn't have any real impact on his ability to do the test, but any connection to the Great Mother, however momentary, would make this next part much easier. Great Mother give us strength, Moghu muttered, before returning both to their balls and drinking the nightberry.

When Moghu first awoke in the dream, he panicked and very nearly pulled himself out of the dream. The sudden sensation of nothing in his mind was unbearable, and worse than any backlash he had ever received from the Great Mother. His hands went to the nape of his neck, fingers desperately clawing as they searching for a ridge, a bump, anything that would indicate the Great Mother was with him. When he finally snapped back to this new reality and realized he was in the presence of the Spore Speakers, Moghu returned his hands to his side, trying to subtly wipe off the blood his frantic clawing had drawn.

Please, Moghu sad simply, pleading. I have always served the Great Mother faithfully. It was not out of carelessness, but devotion that her blessing was burned away, he said, looking at the horrific burns across his body. If She were with me again, I could continue to fight. Continue to keep her safe. Let me keep her safe, Moghu says, voice constantly rising and nearly shrieking at this point. I can still fight, I can still defend Her. Give me that chance!

Show