New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Default Re: Darkness Rising (PTU)

Jayce sets Ivan down next to Dao, releasing him from the back harness he usually sits in while traveling. "I won't be fighting or even traveling where I'm going next. If it looks like I'm having a bad dream, it's because I am. They say I can wake up at any time, so if I'm asleep, it's because I want to be. Just make sure no one interrupts me." With that, Jayce readies himself to take the draught.

---

It took Jayce far longer than he'd care to admit that this was a dream and not a premonition. It echoed his own thoughts and was a highly plausible scenario, one that the boy fully believed to be likely. For a while, he just sat in silence and shame going along with the flow of the nightmare. It's probably better this way, why fight it?

He suddenly remembered that he was being observed, however. Giving into this illusion would be even worse, and then his failure truly would be complete. With some struggle, he shook his head and tried to think clearly. No, submitting himself to failure would be guarantee this level of disappointment in his clan, and he needed to make sure he didn't follow down that path. But how?

Doing the only thing he knew how, Jayce examined the dreamscape, first with his eyes, then closing them to try with his ears. That's what the Guru said was his best talent right?

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception to examine the dream, see if there's anything to potentially help him out.
    (4d6+2)[21]

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ettin in the Playground

Eira

The screams of battle and death ring in your ears as you race through the tunnels. However, it quickly became clear that those you hunted knew this place as well as you, for every time you thought you caught a glimpse of a living being, they slipped away like a ghost. You found plenty of dead bodies though, Pokemon and Weavile Clan, strewn like flakes across an ice river.

You had paused to examine another body, pulling back its hood finding it to be one of your cousins. And that was when Maak Ice Tooth struck. An intense heat bloomed in your side as he sunk an obsidian dagger into you side before slipping out of your reach.

He was hooded at first, but as he stepped back he pulled it off his face, revealing the familiar face. It grinned ferally, showing its teeth in an act of aggression.

And a ritual scar circled the tattoo on his forehead.

Velitus

You waited as your Clan packed their belongings and begun the long trek to their Summer camp. It was a busy time, with people milling all over the place. More than a few Flabebe Clan bumped into you 'accidentally' and the Comfey seemed even more cowed than normal. Things had been changing in the Twin Petals, and the cracks beginning to work their way into the very heart of your structure. You knew that you were a symptom of the disease, but that didn't change the cure the clan had chosen to rid themselves of you.

Only Skiran paused as the Clan began to finally leave. He looked at you for a long second, his pack laden with trinkets of power. He opened his mouth to say something to you, but then closed it. He looked at the ground and continued to walk.

It took about an hour before everyone else had left. It was rare for one of your Clan to be truly alone in the woods. Your hunting party was never far off, or you were part of the bustling camp life. Now the forest had never felt more expansive, and more constricting. The silence was deafening, for the natural sounds of wild pokemon would not return for at least a full moon cycle.

Without a clan. Without companions. You would need to feed yourself, find water, ensure your shelter were kept and mended. Everything was more difficult without a tribe, and you needed to do each job yourself now. After all, that was what the Clanless did.

And now you were Clanless.

Moghu

The three Spore Seekers considered your words. They, like all of their kind, moved and thought slowly. They considered things in the span of the eternal life of the Great Mother, caring little for the lives of mortals like themselves. Members of the clan, Rot Hunters and Shroom Brewers, looked on with ambivalence. Their eyes were all of the Spore Speakers, passing over you as if you simply did not exist. No Flame Hunters were present.

Eventually, the Spore Speaker on the left spoke. She looked like a Morel in her old age, and her skin hung loosely. She was Jenua Spore Speaker, the oldest member of your Clan.

Moghu Flame Hunter, you claim to be able to defend the great mother.

But how could you defend her when you couldn't defend yourself?

How could you defend her when you couldn't defend Inneq?

How could you defend her when you couldn't even pass the trials?

Perhaps the Flame Hunters would be stronger without a weakling like you, she said, her voice flat and emotionless.

Jayce

The sounds of the cave were familiar to you. These tunnels were your home, and the gentle reverberations of conversation in other parts of the tunnel helped you paint a picture of where your Clanmates were. A few tending the large cookfire that vented throughs mall cracks in the tunnels, a few kept watch for Diglett tunnelers, a few wandered talking.

And of course, snippets of their conversation floated back to you.

- got lost in the tunnels a few days ago -
    - wouldn't trust him in a fight to watch my back -
    - waste of food -
    - glad Darius isn't wasting his time with that one anymore -
    - why did he even come back? -

Normally it would seem strange to have all conversations around you, but in this dream it didn't feel odd at all. No matter where you turned, whispers about your inadequacies floated through the air, passed from clanmate to clanmate like beams of the moon through the rippling waves of Starfall Lake.
    Last edited by CosmicOccurence; 2021-03-21 at 08:13 AM.
    Many thanks to Ceika for the wonderful avatar.

Aatos My medieval pokemon setting.

Games I'm in:
    Spoiler
    Show

Johto: Guardians of Legends as Julius Varro

World at War (PTA) as Francis May

GM of Exploring Aatos a Medieval PTA game.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

Instinctively, Eira threw herself back and away from the pain, one hand pressed to the wound in her side. When she moved her hand away, the wound glittered with frozen blood; freezing it didn't reverse any of the damage, but it at least dulled the pain for a time.

Seeing Maak Ice-Tooth grinning in front of her, with that ritual scarring, she forgets for a moment that she is in a dream--a nightmare, in which her worst fears can and will come true. "You idiot!" she roars, a spray of icicles from her hands towards the boy punctuating her words. "How does this help... anyone?! How many have you and yours already lost in your idiotic attack, compared to what you already lose to Winter and her trials? What do you stand to gain from this? You don't want to know what the Great Scrawl says; you don't want to live here, or find a home anywhere! Why not just... leave? Why come after your Clan?"

Eira feels the tears form at the corners of her eyes and freezes them in a burst of anger, ignoring the pain and odd weight of tiny icicles clinging to her eyelids and lashes. She rushes forwards in the odd floaty way of dreams, her icicle claws seeking out Maak's stomach. "Tell me why you're doing this. I don't understand any of this! Tell me why!"
    Originally Posted by Xefas:
    "I need the Goblins in phalanx arrangement. Sky Blotters in the back! Swissles? Assume the Swizzle Stick Formation! We're going in!"
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ettin in the Playground

It was so quiet. Quieter than even the stillest silence could have been in reality, a quiet that was almost deafening, and knowing that it was the Nightberries' work didn't make Velitus feel any better.

Far worse were the divisions that had been growing deeper and darker in the Twin Petals. And they, at least, were not only a product of the Nightberries. They might have been magnified here, but they existed every bit as much in the real Clans. "If this happened in the true world, how many more would be exiled for imagined misdeeds?" he murmured, quietly. He wasn't sure who he was asking.

He knew he couldn't stay here. The surroundings had been picked clean over the past few days, to help round out the supplies of his Clans - not his Clans, he corrected himself - before the migration to the summer camp. And since he couldn't trust that he wouldn't run into a hunting party from the Twin Petals that would decide to use him - or Akari - as hunting practice if he chose a similar path to them, the only real choice would be to go the other direction. It came with its own flaws, of course; there was a reason the Clans migrated. But he didn't have to worry about feeding an entire Clan now. Now it was just...him. And finding enough to feed himself (Akari could easily scavenge for herself) would be far easier, and he could live where the Clans couldn't. Perhaps in time he could find another Clan, one that would be willing to accept him despite his Clanless state - in the true world, such blatant divisions in the Twin Petals would not be confined to him, and the numerous exilings would diminish the impact of being named Clanless to some extent, but he couldn't be confident that the same was true here.

All the same, it was his only hope. He could survive on his own for a time, but not forever. Humans and Pokemon were never made to be alone for eternity.
    "Follow the moonwalking Nosepass!"
    "Can you put the lich in a box?"

5. - Top - End - #245
    Titan in the Playground

Moghu scanned the crowd, wishing that Inneq were here, and, more importantly, that he wasn't dead. He had always known what to say, what to do. Moghu, on the other hand, had never been one for words, just action. Inneq had died for the Great Mother, and Moghu very nearly had, and the Elders questioned their loyalty? Questioned their devotion?

I do not defend myself because I defend Her! Moghu states adamantly, struggling to see how the Spore-Speakers couldn't understand that. I could not defend Inneq because I defended Her! Moghu continues, feeling an unfamiliar rage welling up within him. It is not our role to defend ourselves, it is our role to defend Her! Which every Flame-Hunter has done for generations! Moghu continued, shouting at this point.

When the Spore-Speakers mentioned the trials, that flash of rage mingled with a touch of pride, and Moghu found himself rising to his feet, his voice filling the underground space. I did just as well as any Paras before me in the Trials, if not better. None before me have passed! None of you have fought the flames for Her! Every burn, every scar, is a sign of my devotion to Her!

As he yelled, a small part at the back of Moghu's mind delighted in the new feelings, the new emotions. It was like a haze he had seen his entire life was lifted. His thoughts were his own, and not immediately twisted to how this would serve the Paras, or serve the Great Mother.
    Props to Ceika for the new and improved avatar!

Spoiler: Quotes
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by IrnBruAddict
    Yeah, but Arcran is the GM. Can we be sure of anything?
    I always picture Arc as LE, with CE tendancies
    Quote Originally Posted by Espirit15
    Arc is a good GM. Evil, but a good GM

6. - Top - End - #246

RedKnightGirl

Already this was almost too much for Jayce. The words cut through him deeply, right to his heart. Right to in his insecurities. He had to remind himself over and over that they simply couldn't be true; he couldn't be that disgraceful, right? The sadness and despair he felt threatened to send him into inaction, and wallow in it somewhere dark where no one would find him. Listening hadn't helped he needed somewhere else to be.

Jayce stands up and runs through the dream, trying to leave the voices behind. He needed some time away from those thoughts if he was going to find a purpose in this dream. He clutches at his ears to making his movements awkward and unbalanced as he stumbles on the walls and uneven floors.

I'm not that person, I'm not a failure. I'm not the best, but I'm not...that.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ettin in the Playground

Eira

Maak Ice-Tooth grinned at your anger. The Weavile have become weak. Docile. We send our kits to foster with the Wailren or the Glalie, to learn from them. Learn what? To sit still and wait? To find a home? To become a target for others to sniff out?

He sidled out of reach of your first foray, laughing. We are the storm Eira. We will cleanse the north of weakness. The strong will be left, and then we shall finally be able to fulfill the ancient destiny of our clan. We -

He cut off as a figure dashed into the room. It was Reith, bleeding from a wound to his stomach. Maak cried out in excitement and launched himself at the elder, knives drawn. You couldn't reach in time, but if you released Omen or Pebble, they could. Of course, releasing either of them so near the Scrawl was a dangerous prospect, each for entirely separate reasons.

Velitus

As you left the campsite, you entered the part of the forest where the trees started to grow thicker. It wasn't quite the Deep Forest: light still shone through the branches, but it was tougher travelling than around the Spring Campsite. The sounds of nature bloomed around you, filling in the silence with the chirps of Ledyba and the rattling of Metapod.

Zant! the Pokemon's cry was loud, much louder than the other noises. You spun around to find an Unfezant: a powerful bird type that were rare in these woods. Several hatchlings chirped around its feet, begging for food.

It cawed again, eying Akari hungrily.

Moghu

The Spore Speakers did not answer your questions, nor did they seem to react to your words in any visible way. You'd heard that they could communicate with each other without speech, through their link to the Great Mother. Several in the crowd, however, murmured. Many seemed sympathetic to your cause, but all were agitated by the force in your voice, and your willingness to so publicly and forcefully disagree with another Paras.

We have one, final, query before we make our decision, Moghu Flame Hunter, Jenua Spore Speaker said. After so much time spent with other clans, clans of which you had curiosity in abundance, do you really desire to be Paras? Or were you happier with the others?

Jayce

You ran. You ran and ran and ran. You lost yourself in tunnels until you feet bled and blistered, running for seven days and seven nights. The voices faded, but the shadows remained.

You stopped running when you found yourself at a place you'd only heard whispers of. The tunnel ended at the edge of a vertical cliff face in a mountainside, many hundreds of feet up in the air. It looked out over a canyon filled with jagged teeth and stones. You'd never been here before, but you'd heard of it. This was known simply as The Maw, a place of beginnings and endings. It was a place where the spirits between worlds would sometimes appear, and where those seeking themselves would often find their feet had unknowingly dragged them.

Welcome traveller, said a voice behind you. The figure was tall, wearing the full length robes of one of the Marowak shamans. His face was shrouded in the skull of what must have been a Druddigon, and he wore bone claws over his fingers, curving to sharp points. Welcome to your death. For all who visit this place die: some who reforge their souls into something stronger, and some who lose themselves to the abyss.

He took a seat at the edge of the precipice, looking out over the valley. If you looked closely, you could see the faint shades of the living, the dead, and those yet born here. You sensed that you could call one to you, if you cared to.

Who are you? he asked. You got the sense that he wasn't asking for your name or your clan.
    Last edited by CosmicOccurence; 2021-03-21 at 09:41 PM.

Games I'm in:
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #248
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

Maak's invocation of the word "storm", more than anything else, convinces Eira that the boy and his allies are truly insane. The storm is far more powerful than anything else in the North; a strong blizzard can even kill the dreaded Mamoswine, when the conditions are right. To claim to be a storm, that they had the power to destroy as much as that elemental force, goes against everything that her father taught her... but perhaps not everything that is taught in the Clan. Even in the midst of her pain and confusion, Eira is struck by the terrible feeling that she does not truly know her own Clan. How can she know that her family's teachings were the teachings that the Clan shared, when she spent so little time with her Clan as a whole.

Reith's appearance distracts her from these thoughts, and her hands flash to the Apricorns at her belt. She nearly goes for Omen, but her father's words are suddenly strong in her ear, solemnly forbidding her from ever releasing the Houndour anywhere within a day's radius of the Great Scrawl. Even in this circumstance, that warning is too ingrained in her to break now. She instead grabs Pebble's Apricorn, slinging it desperately at Maak's head. "Stop him!"

Only when the Apricorn is spinning through the air does she suddenly remember two things: this is all a dream, and her Pokemon weren't supposed to help her in this Trial. Maybe... maybe dream-Pebble doesn't count? she thinks, before giving a mental shrug. Clan Weavile's never held 'following the rules' as a high virtue, I guess.
    "I need the Goblins in phalanx arrangement. Sky Blotters in the back! Swissles? Assume the Swizzle Stick Formation! We're going in!"
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ettin in the Playground

Velitus was not even remotely surprised by the fact that the Nightberries had conjured up a threat to Akari. What would they have done if I'd found her a Pokeball as well as Hana?

"Sorry, but she's not your chicks' lunch,"
    he told the Unfezant. A lot of Pokemon were smart enough to not pick fights with humans, knowing the retaliation that would come if they did - and it wasn't as though they could tell he was Clanless - but he wouldn't have been confident in saying that a Pokemon with hungry chicks to feed wouldn't take the risk even in the true world, never mind here.

He reached into his satchel, where he always kept a few berries to toss to distract Pokemon. The food gathered from the campsite was the possessions of the Clan, the Nightberries reminded him, and had been stripped from him in his exile. "Of course." Instead, he simply bent down and scooped Akari up, shielding the little Grass-type as he carefully started to back away.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Titan in the Playground

Moghu blinked at the question, surprised that it even had to be asked. He was a Paras! He had never known anything but the Paras, until he went out to compete in the trials. The Flame-Hunters were his family, and he certainly owed a debt to his mentor. But Inneq was gone, and the other Paras seemed content to besmirch his name and ignore what he had done for the Clan.

Still, Moghu could not help but let his thoughts drift back to his times at the Trials. For the most part, his interactions with other clans had been less than pleasant. The Slowpoke, while a new experience, weren't something he would hope to repeat. Some, like Felt, had been decidedly unpleasant interactions. There were, however, ones that were kind. Ones that Moghu hoped to meet again. Kurtakh had been a great sparring partner, and Hulloth had told him more about the Paras than the Spore-Speakers ever had. Others, like Jayce, Eira, and Velitus had fought alongside him without question; his burns had not been a mark of shame, and they had not cared about how far his tattoo had spread. It had been freeing, in an odd way.

No, Moghu thought to himself, barely managing to not shake his head. The Paras were safe. The Paras were his home. He had given his body, given years of his life to the Paras. Inneq had given everything. If he left now, what did that do to Inneq's memory? Did it mean he had wasted his life? Inneq had wanted Moghu to see the outside world, but only to learn how to better serve the Great Mother. His place was here, and there could be no escape.

I desire nothing more than to return, Moghu says with as much conviction as he can muster, knowing that his hesitation had already spoken for him.

Show

11. - Top - End - #251

RedKnightGirl

Now this was unexpected. Jayce couldn't believe what he'd dreamt up. Yet still, this could be helpful if he was careful. For now, he resisted three urge to call out to the dead, since that would be admitting that Garet was absolutely dead and not just missing. But the question at hand was about him, not his brother, not his vision of himself, not what he thought he should be.

Who was Jayce?

"I'm...unremarkable." Jayce said with sadness. "I'm a guide in training, a scout, sometimes hunter, but I'm not really much alone. I'm always surrounded by my betters. Without them, I'm nothing special." He slumped slightly at the admission. "Is that the answer you want?"

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ettin in the Playground

Eira

Pebble exploded out of his Pokeball, his massive paws shaking the cavern and cracking ice as he landed with a thud. He roared HORN! and slammed a foot into the ground, before charging. He was like an avalanche, slamming into Maak Ice Tooth and tossing him like a snowflake in the wind.

The boy crashed into an ice wall and fell with a thud. He didn't rise.

The ice underneath Pebble was splintering, cracks rapidly expanding from his feet. Reith hobbled towards you, hand held out. Eira. They're everywhere. I don't think we can hold the - he paused, notice the cracks running out from underneath your Rhyhorn.

Arceus bless us, he said as the cracks expanded up the walls. He turned to you.
    Their leader is escaping. You could chase him down and end this forever Eira, but you alone have a connection to Arceus's Ice. You are the only one who can stop the Scrawl from collapsing.

Two options, one choice. The shadows in the corners of your mind twisted, curious as to what would happen next.

Velitus

As you slowly backed away, your foot caught a root. You fell backwards, catching yourself with one hand as Akari tumbled out. She rolled across the glade further than she ever would have in real life.

The Unfezant cawed in excitement, swooping down, claws outstretched, ready to snatch up Akari and retreat to its nest, to feed her to her chicks. You would be completely and utterly alone in the world. Without clan. Without Pokemon. Without a single companion in this life, destined to walk the world alone.

Or you could throw yourself in front of the claws. You knew it would mean death. A slow, painful one of infection, for you had no healing supplies with you and were far from the groves your clan kept. But Akari might have the chance to escape. And then she would be alone. Without clan. Without trainer. Without a single companion in this life, destined to walk the world alone.

Two options, one choice. The shadows in the corners of your mind twisted, curious as to what would happen next.

Moghu

As with before, the Spore Speakers considered your response, and the delay before it, without speaking word. Eventually though, Jenua Spore Speaker extended a single wrinkly arm, pointing at you. If you truly wish to serve the Paras, there is a service that you can provide.

The fires burned away the carcasses that we would hunt for to feed the Great Mother. She has had precious little food this past moon, though you, without a connection to her, would have no way of knowing this.

If you are unable to defend her, you can provide sustenance to her to give her strength for the winter ahead.

She paused. However, as you are not Paras anymore, we cannot force this upon you. You do not bring fire, so we shall not kill you as we do not kill those of other clans who do not bring fire. If you wish to leave here, to join the other clans of the forest, we will not stop you.

Choose Moghu,
    the lack of honorific after your name was, perhaps, the single most significant thing she had said this entire conversation. You were no longer flame hunter, no longer Paras. Would you leave forever to join the open world, or give to the Great Mother even when duty had freed you of responsibility?

Jayce

I want nothing, the man said. I am merely a keeper of this place, a shepherd of lost spirits who find their way here.

The shaman stood, his massive draconic skull helmet casting harsh shadows over your face. As the fangs bared themselves at you, you caught the barest hint of a face before the shadows twisted over it.

Well, Unremarkable One, this is the place to reforge yourself. The world is a harsh place for one such as yourself, and nobody will begrudge you an easy peace, he gestured to the canyon of drifting spirits. But if you are not content to remain as you are, then you should return to the world.
    Humans are things of growth and change. After all, this canyon was once merely an unremarkable crack in the ground.

So the question becomes, do you want to be Unremarkable, Jayce?
    The man's form disappeared, twisting into shadows that faded like fog. In front of you stood The Maw, and behind you the tunnel to reality.

Last edited by CosmicOccurence; 2021-03-23 at 05:36 PM.

Games I'm in:
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #253
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

Eira returns Pebble as fast as she can, but she sees the damage is already done; the cracks are running and widening, threatening to topple the whole cave system and bring down the glacier atop it as well. The tunnels can't be this fragile in reality... right? a small, irrelevant voice in her mind asks as she watches the cracks grow, but she shoves it aside.

The two options stand obviously in front of Eira, and she finds herself forming claws without fully thinking about it. She is a hunter, a killer; everything in her life has been about surviving the dangers of the world around her by eliminating threats as quickly and thoroughly as possible. The choice seems obvious to her; kill the leader, and this whole mess collapses. She can take him by surprise; he's running, foolish, and he obviously doesn't respect Ice like he should. She can hunt him down like prey, slaughter him as an example to the rest, and this whole insane nonsense will finally stop. The Weavile Clan will be whole once more--

And the Great Scrawl, the only hope for a permanent home, for safety and peace for the Clan, will be gone forever.

Eira looks back at Reith and smiles, the grin missing all of the implied menace that the expression normally carries among the Clan. "This is no choice, is it? If he escapes, they might win, or they might lose. If I kill him, then I win and lose at the same time. They want Clan Weavile to be forever without a home, a place to return to. If I kill the leader, I'm agreeing with him; the home doesn't matter."

Bending down, Eira shoves her claws deep into the cracks nearest to her. This isn't something she's trained in doing, but the cracks are still small; if she just overwhelms them, then hopefully that will fix the problem. Either way, I won't have to worry about it for too long, hopefully. Taking in one deep breath, Eira pours out as much Ice magic as she can muster all at once, sending it screaming through the cracks to seal them as quickly and strongly as she can.
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ettin in the Playground

Velitus had hardly even landed on the ground before somehow he found himself on his feet again, an implausible display of agility that he'd have never managed in the real world.

There were, perhaps, dozens of arguments that could have been made for one side or the other. In reality, Akari had been wild before he'd befriended her, and she could easily survive out in the wild on her own again without him. And equally, Pokemon were far stronger than humans, and even the Unfezant might not have been able to kill her in a single blow, and they both might have had the chance to escape so long as he left Akari to defend herself.

But fundamentally, none of that mattered.

The boy sat, crouched, looking into the bush, a few pieces of berry he'd scrounged from the Clan's detritus held out in his hands. "These are for you."

A thin line of silk whipped out and snatched one of the pieces, retreating with its prize back into the bush. The boy managed to avoid jumping at the sudden movement.

The first couple of days the Pokemon in the bush had refused to take the food from his hand directly, and would only snag it with a silk thread once he put it down. This was a definite improvement.

The bush rustled, and a little yellow head peered curiously through the leaves at him. The boy beamed. "Hello, there!"

A curious Growlithe padded closer, snuffling at the bush and drooling a little. The boy reached out and pushed its snout away. "No, this isn't your dinner. Here, have this instead." It licked the offered berry piece out of his hand, but gave something of a disappointed look to the bush before obeying him and padding away.

The boy looked back to the bush to see the yellow head had vanished again. "It's okay, he's gone now. You don't need to worry."

"I'll protect you."

Somehow Velitus was between Akari and the Unfezant without actually crossing the space between, in the strange way of dreams. "GET AWAY!" he yelled at her - and then the yell became a scream as the Unfezant's claws sank into him instead of the Swadloon, the powerful Flying-type lifting him off the ground like he weighed nothing as it arced back into the air from its swoop before dropping him, and Akari was suddenly nowhere to be seen -

And then he was awake, in the clearing by the stone circle, jolting upright, crying.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Titan in the Playground

Moghu blinked slowly as he processed the question. Was this some final, twisted test? The Spore-Speakers wouldn't feed him to the Great Mother, would they? Even if they no longer treated him as Paras, it was an insult to everything he had done, everything that Inneq had done. Was that how lowly they thought of the Flame-Hunters? When they outlived their usefulness, feed them to the Great Mother?

Die for the Paras, or live among the other clans, Moghu thought. He knew serving the Great Mother was the right choice but, for some reason, it didn't seem quite as compulsory as it used to. Why had he served the Paras? They had never treated him well, never shared the secret knowledge. Even Inneq's death was more of an inconvenience than a tragedy for them.

As the possibilities raced through his mind, Moghu was treated to his first experience with raw fear, not filtered through the Great Mother's loving embrace. Still, fear has a way of sharpening the mind, and every sleight he had ever received from his clan came into focus, as well as his conversation with Hulloth. If none of the Paras had passed this before, that meant they had chosen poorly time and time again when put into a similar situation. Moghu let out a sigh, knowing his answer, even though some hidden part of his mind screamed out against it.

I have already risked my life time and time again for the Clan, Moghu states, the gravity of never again being connected to the Great Mother reaching him. If you will not restore my tattoos, I owe you nothing more. I will find a new home, Moghu says, a prideful streak entering his voice. Perhaps the Slowpoke would take him in; their touch had felt similar to the Great Mother, after all.

Through it all, Moghu stood tense, doubting that the Spore-Speakers would let him leave, despite their promises. Even more than that, Moghu feared what would happen when he woke up.

Show

16. - Top - End - #256

RedKnightGirl

Jayce thought for a long time, trying to work out what the man told him. The Maw offered a chance for change, quick and easy. The way back left him as he was, with all his inadequacies and insecurities. He made it sound like jumping into the Maw was the coward's way, even if he said no one would blame him. Jayce would blame himself, or at least old Jayce would. New Jayce might be free of such things, free of anxiety and pain.

One thing was for sure, he couldn't go on as he was. Worried about being in his brother's shadow, his guru's shadow. He needed to free himself from that, either by embracing what he was, or rising to the challenge. And would this choice really affect him in the waking world? For now at least, it was the most real thing to the young guide.

Jayce squared his jaw and made up his mind after a long back and forth in his head. He peered over the gaping Maw and was in awe of its size and spirits. He turns away, afraid he might see his brother among them, struggling at this crossroad. He looked down the path he came from, a comfortable cave, where he knew exactly what he was and took it all in stride, the whispers of his failures rolling off his back like water on a Psyduck. He smiled.

And then made himself fell backwards into the Maw behind him. I'm coming, brother. I will rise to the occasion. I will be not brer afraid, I will be better and will earn my respect.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ettin in the Playground

Eira

The ice creaked and groaned as you flooded it with your magic. Ice filled the cracks like water, firming up the weak floor and knitting together the wall that had begun to rapidly expand. Reith gasped at your magic, clearly in awe of what you were doing. Power flooded through you in quantities you'd never seen before.

The Great Scrawl was safe. The enemy forces had retreated, but they were far from beaten and would remain a threat to the Clan for a great many years, you knew.

Reith looked at you, opening his mouth to say something ...

And then you woke up.

Reith leaned over you, the real one this time, not the one constructed of your dreams. Congratulations Eira, he said. You've passed the third trial. You have earned the right to petition Jirachi.

Velitus

As you awoke, sobbing, Akari immediately huddled in your lap. She was quivering as hard as you were, but, now that you were awake, quickly began to wrap silken threads around you, tying the two of you together. Loon, she cooed, trying to comfort you.

Above you stood Resh. There was no audience here, only the other supplicants and their mentors. Still, he made sure that his voice was loud enough to be heard by all present. Velitus, you have passed your third trial and have earned the right to petition Jirachi. I am proud to be your mentor, and you do credit to the training of your clan.

Underneath though was a dark undercurrent. He knew what you'd dreamed, and he knew that others knew now as well. He removed a ring from his finger and returned it to Hulloth, who cast him a dark glance. You couldn't see the dreams of others though, so it must have been the ring that let him see.

Moghu

The Spore Speakers let you leave freely, but there were dark mutterings from the clan on your way out. As you travelled through the Paras lands on your journey, the Flame Hunters you met spurned you, old friends refusing to even meet your eyes.

Then you came to the Purelake, to the Wishiwashi Clan that you had been to before. Here, you could charter a path to your future, and the world was open before you.

And then you woke up.

And then you puked.

Heat flared on your skin as your tattoo writhed. It raged at you, at the trial, at Hulloth. The freedom and clarity of though you'd felt in the dream began to slip away from you once more. After all, it was a nightmare, not real.

Inneq, alive again, said nothing. He hugged you, tears streaming down his face. After a long moment, he whispered in your ear, That will never happen. I swear it. His voice shook as much as he did.

He took a second to gather himself. Moghu Flame Hunter, you have passed the third trial and have earned the right to petition Jirachi. Congratulations on being the first Paras to do so, your tattoo calmed at that, smoothing out the rough edges of your awakening.

Jayce

As you fell into the valley, the shadows became black once more, and you woke up. Darius was there, sitting calmly in meditation as you slept. A smile played across his lips.

You see? he said with a wicked grin. You weren't ready for this trial, but that didn't particularly matter. Congratulations Jayce, you have passed the third trial. You have earned the right to petition Jirachi.

He placed a hand on your leg, squeezing it. Your mother and father love you very much. While I think your dream might have been more real than the others, that first bit was a complete fabrication of the berries. While he couldn't see you: his eyes were bandaged even at dusk, you felt that you had his full and undivided attention.

All

Beshelt was awake already, smiling fiercely and chatting with her mentor, an older Mightyena hunter, quietly. The Whismur Clan and Lapras Clan children were nowhere to be seen, nor their mentors. The Beautifly Clan boy remained asleep, his mentor - whose colorful tattoos covered her whole body and were louder even than Velitus's - did not look happy with how things were going.
    Last edited by CosmicOccurence; 2021-03-24 at 07:24 PM.

Games I'm in:
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #258
    Titan in the Playground

Moghu's whole body shook as he took great rasping breaths, trying to steady himself and push down the feeling of nausea. For the first time ever, the Great Mother's touch was not a welcome reminder, but a shackle being placed back. The rage, the indignation, the feelings he'd felt before all faded away, filtered through Her touch. Compared to what he'd felt in the dream, it was like going from drinking from a raging river to sipping at the edge of a stream.

However, deep thoughts about the nature of his relationship with the Great Mother could wait. For now, Moghu simply clamped his arms around Inneq's back, holding tightly against the older Flame-Hunter. Soon his own tears were running down his face, partly in pain from the Great Mother's backlash, partly from what he had just lost, and partly from the thrill of passing. Moghu simply sat there for a long moment, shaking slightly until a nagging concern crept into the back of his mind.

What... what did you see? Moghu finally rasps out, looking up at Inneq with panic in his eyes. What he'd done was akin to treason, even if it had only been in a dream, a fact that his tattoo was making exceedingly clear. He trusted Inneq, but would still much rather the older Flame-Hunter hadn't seen what had occurred.

Show

19. - Top - End - #259
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

Eira grins up at the real Reith, trying not to show the uneasiness that she felt. The level of sudden violence and the choice between the Great Scrawl and the traitors may have been more obvious and contrived than reality, but she isn't certain that they aren't reflections of what reality may come upon her and her people.

Springing up and stretching quickly, Eira nods to her mentor as well. "I'll take a nap to win a Trial any time they offer it, I suppose. Now I just need to decide what to ask the stone." Beneath her bantering statements is a heavy undercurrent of doubt. The wish probably doesn't matter--according to what she's heard, Jirachi hasn't made an appearance at one of these events in a very long time--but it's still important to her, and the dream has muddied the water somewhat. Does she wish for her Clan's home, or does she wish to head off the danger and division that she's afraid is coming?

Having a home will fix that, she thinks to herself, making icicles sprout from her fingers. She shivers, remembering the burst of power from the dream. Once Clan Weavile has a home, things can settle down...

Shaking her head to dispel the uneasy thoughts, Eira looks over the rest of the group. So: so far, four successes, two failures, and two undecided... is that a failure? she notes, taking a moment to look over Moghu again as he apparently wakes up vomiting. Not sure, I guess; the one undecided doesn't look good, so this is probably done soon. She nods to the others who are up seem relatively put together, pasting her customary grin on her face.
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ettin in the Playground

Even knowing that it had just been a dream, that the real Akari and Hana were fine, Velitus gave a small, giddy laugh when Akari hopped over to him, cuddling the little Swadloon. "It's okay," he promised, trying to reassure her as much as himself. "It's okay now."

He barely even noticed Reth at first, until the older shaman's words slowly drifted into his conscious mind. You're not my mentor. He bit back the immediate, spiteful retort. There are other Clans here. Besides, no sense making him seem sympathetic by acting like this is some one-sided hatred of mine. He took a deep breath, watching Reth hand the ring back to Hulloth.

"I'm honoured by your praise," he said, far too formally and stilted to sound real, though he didn't much care. And in comparison to what my dream could've showed of you, you were lucky.

He looked around the others - since he hadn't been evicted by Hulloth upon awakening, it suggested that those who were absent had failed. Which meant that everyone from his group from the first trial had passed this one too, leaving just the last one to undergo the trial. We all seemed to wake at about the same time, except Beshelt. I wonder if it's unusual for one person to remain trapped in the trial longer than the rest...

21. - Top - End - #261

RedKnightGirl

When he wakes, Jayce still feels the vertigo from the fall and doesn't try to move. He feels around first to make sure he is steady before doing anything else. Once he is sure the ground was firmly beneath him, Jayce finally sat up.

With a shaky voice Jayce replies,"It really felt real, and that was the worst part. I nearly forgot that it was a dream and just accepted it. It really hurt." He still needed to fully calm down from the ordeal. Those negative thoughts really hit home. But now he saw just how toxic they were to his wellbeing and he really did have to change who he was, not unlike what he already resolved to do.

"But now what should I petition for? I never thought I'd make it this far. I still haven't seen what these omens will lead to. I think something different might happen this year and people may be counting on me to make a good choice, not a selfish one." He knew what he wanted to petition for, and honestly it would take a lot of convincing to change his mind. He still felt guilt for that desire though.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ettin in the Playground

Moghu

I saw everything, Inneq said, knowing his words hurt. However, what you saw was not a prophecy of the future. It was a nightmare. The Paras know the value of the Flame Hunters, even if we are not as celebrated as the Spore Speakers or Shroom Brewers.

I cannot imagine they would reject your request, nor that we will ever face another fire bad enough to burn away your tattoo entirely.
    He didn't seem so certain about that last bit though.

He claps you on the shoulder, a smile breaking through. Besides, the Great Mother will forgive and forget all this when you make your wish. Your scars are a testament to your devotion. I know that, and so do you.

Eira

Reith didn't respond to your comment on the wish. You knew that he would want you to wish for the discovery of the homeland, the deciphering of the Scrawl. However, he also wouldn't try to convince you to wish for something you didn't want to. This was your accomplishment, your proverbial kill.

Most Weavile would have sacrificed the Scrawl you know, Reith said. We prize the hunt, the chase. I worry that the dream of home may be vanishing from the minds of our people, but youth like you give me hope.

He smiled as he looked down at you. I can't wait to see your father's face when he hears how well you've done. You've made him, and me, very proud Eira.

Velitus

Resh was just as stilted in playing this game as you were, remaining outwardly positive and respectful. He sat down next to you, his voice shrinking to a hush, almost a whisper. Not that your wish matters, since the old rock hasn't done anything for centuries, but I hope that you don't go and use it on something selfish. The Comfey already have a bad reputation for the trait, so try not to make it worse for your clanmates.

This wasn't the first time he'd said 'your clanmates' instead of 'our clanmates' when referring to the Comfey members of the Twin Petals. He wasn't the only one with such ideas, but they were rare, and even more rarely spoken.

Beshelt seemed to sense the tension, for she left her mentor mid-conversation and skipped over.Oh hey! I recognize you from a few years ago. Aren't you that famous fire mage who wasn't even able to keep some flames from killing his healer? Must not be much of a shaman. It was all the gossip last clansmeet. Resh flushed, standing and storming away without a word.

Beshelt just winked at you. Hope that didn't make things worse for you. He seems like a right Purrloin he does. Prideful as sin. There are other decent ones in your clan, right?

Jayce

There will come a day when I'll no longer be around to give you advice Jayce, Darius said. I am an old man after all. And you yourself are on the cusp of adulthood. This decision is one that you will never again get to make. I would hate to influence your decision.

Of course, if it were me, I would use my wish for bananas.

He fished in his pack, rummaging for several long moments. Eventually he pulled out a small dagger made of jet black obsidian. It was a knife that you recognized as belonging to your brother, and was one of the few belongings left of his.
    It was the only thing that Darius had asked to keep of Garet's, as all the rest stayed with you and your parents.

Regardless of what you decide, I think that you are now ready to carry this with you. Garet would be proud of your accomplishments here, he held the knife to you, the moonbeams catching it and sending glints of light into the air.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'll leave it up to you whether or not Jayce knows what a banana is.

The knife is functionally identical to the one you already have

All

With a gasp, the Beautifly boy woke up, his face pale. His mentor's uncertain face broke into a smile. You had me worried there Yashe. Congratulations, you've passed the third trial. The boy looked around, noting the two empty beds of his companions and you five. He nodded in acknowledgement, before he and his mentor began chatting quietly to each other.

Games I'm in:
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #263
    Titan in the Playground

Moghu nods, trying to hide wiping his tears away as he stood back up. If Jirachi listens, we'll never have to worry about an inferno again, he states, voice cracking partway through. We will be safe, and that dream will never come true, he continues, looking around at the others who had passed. He was pleasantly surprised to see that most of his group had passed, or at least the ones that had sided with him in the Nidoking trial. Perhaps Ithgar did not divide the teams as well as he thought, Moghu thought with no small sense of satisfaction.

What now? Moghu asks, unsure. There was almost no chance that the wish would really be granted, but Moghu could dream. How do you think the Spore-Speakers will react?

Show

24. - Top - End - #264
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

Eira nods, smiling up at Reith for a moment. "Not that I'll ever hear it from him," she says quietly, only the slightest trace of bitterness in her tone. His concerns about the youth of Clan Weavile disturb her even more, but she pushes it away for now. Keep an eye on the tracks before you; there's no sense dealing with that until the present can be dealt with.

She looks around at the group, assembled, trying to decide who she might be able to walk over to. Everyone seems fairly shaken by their experiences. Another thought strikes her, and she looks sharply towards the forest just in case there's a flash of white fur. What if the Absol's warning was that these dreams were more than simple nightmares? A moment later, she shakes her head; it's too much of a jump for her at the moment, even if she can still feel the omen of disaster looming over the Clansmeet, waiting to fall.

Releasing Omen by her side for the small dog's calming presence (which is almost paradoxical, given his name), Eira scratches the Houndour's ears for a moment and then decides to move over to Jayce and his mentor. The Zubat Clan seemed to have some minor similarities to Weavile in externals, and he and his mentor were at least not crying (As far as she could tell). "Well, that was... at least less physical than the other two Trials," she says by way of greeting, idly stepping around and behind Jayce and his mentor more out of habit than any real attempt to hide. "Do we go see the Jirachi stone now, or is there some sort of ceremony first, do you think?"
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ettin in the Playground

The only reason I would even be tempted to make a selfish wish is because of the way you've treated me. Velitus half wondered if the Nightberries' effects lingered enough that Hulloth and Dreamflower would still be able to read his thoughts, and realised that he didn't particularly care. "I won't disgrace our Clan," he replied to Resh, coolly. He hadn't missed the 'your clanmates' comment, but just as he had no intention of wishing for something to himself alone, he had no intention of stooping to Resh's level.

And then Beshelt came to his...rescue?..with a backhanded insult.

"Yes, there are many decent people in my Clan," he retorted. Then he sighed, speaking a little more gently. "I appreciate you trying to help," he added, softly - and definitely remembering the conversation he'd had with Felt earlier in the Clansmeet - "but I can stand up for myself if I want to. There's a reason I don't." He wasn't going to tell her how much influence Resh had and how much harm he could cause to the integrity of the Clan if he felt inclined. "And while Resh may have many flaws, his skills as a shaman are not one of them." Velitus knew all too well how limited in scope the powers of a shaman could be.

26. - Top - End - #266

RedKnightGirl

Jayce saw the knife and examined it closely. He took in every detail and couldn't stop his bottom lip from shaking or the tear from escaping. A fitting momento and perhaps something that would mark a change in perspective for Jayce. Perhaps this would give him the courage needed to be his own person.

Still, he laughed lightly as Darius and it made him feel better. "Well I don't blame you, bananas are really good. Maybe your wish will come true if we stay here long enough. I feel a lot better about making a petition, big or small."

He looked around at the rest. "And it looks like a strong few made it through too. Of course beshelt and Eira made it. I guess our group really had a lot of good competition." He wondered if Felt or her group would have made it this far in a different group, but that hardly mattered now.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ettin in the Playground

Moghu

Inneq clapped you on the back when you shared your plan for the wish. I think, he said, that they will be very, very surprised. And that the Flame Hunters will perhaps be looked down upon less in our clan.

Don't expect any miracles though.
    He grinned at the pun, showing a sense of humor that rarely peeked out from his serious facade.

Eira

A glance around showed no sign of the Absol nearby, though it was dark out and, aside from a faint glow in the direction of the Clansmeet, there was little light to see by anymore. Omen seemed to enjoy being out of his pokeball, and was sniffing the air with unusual excitement, flames crackling in his jaws. As you headed over to Jayce, he bounded in front of you, demanding scratches before you did anything else. It was just as well, Jayce seemed to be having a significant moment with his mentor and a knife.

Velitus

Oh, sorry about then. I didn't mean ... she ducked her head. I guess it wouldn't matter much anyways. After all, past tonight the chances of us seeing each other again are pretty low. I really should stop putting my nose in other clans' business.

She apologized again before flitting over to Ithgar, who graced his ex-clansmate with a clap on the back and an encouraging word.

Jayce

Darius nodded at your reflections. Regardless of how this journey turned out, it has been good for both of us.

And yes, they are all quite capable. Though I admit your warning has me on edge. I might just be hearing whispers, but
    he cut off as Hulloth stood, clearly about to take you up the Stone Circle.

Ears open Jayce, he whispered. As long as you listen hard enough, you can hear anything, find anything, that you want.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm imagining hearing whispers as an auditory equivalent of jumping at shadows

All

Hulloth stood, brushing grass off her robes. Sheketh and Ithgar joined her, all looking appropriately solem.

Yashe of Beautifly, Eira of Weavile, Jayce of Zubat, Velitus of Twin Petals, Beshelt of Mightyena, and Moghu of Paras, you have passed the three trials of Jirachi, Hulloth said. Mentors, this is where you take your leave. The full ceremony will be over by the time the moon reaches the Star of the Great Ursaring's Fang. Your mentors nodded in respect and turned to walk back to the river where they would wait to greet you at the ceremony's end.

In the Trial of the World Soul, you showed your connection to nature, and ability to have a tangible impact in the world, Ithgar continued, his wildness contained to his normal constant shifting of weight.

In the Trial of the Clan Soul, you demonstrated your mastery of the combat skills necessary to survive in our world, Sheketh said, voice imperious as ever.

And in the Trial of the Name Soul, you faced down your greatest fears without breaking, showing your individual spirit, Hulloth finished.

After a pause, she picked up the thread again.You have earned the right to make a Wish of Jirachi. This wish is yours alone. It does not belong to your Clan or to the World, but to you, and you alone. Nobody can tell you what to wish for except your Name Soul.

Sheketh continued, You will ascend to the Stone Circle alone, the next of you beginning the climb once your predecessor has passed under the first arch, he pointed to a stone arch on the path up the massive geological formation, about 100 feet up from where you'd begin. When you arrive, take your place next to one of the menhirs

We will come up last. None of you will touch Jirachi, not that you'd be able to get through Hulloth's wards in any case, Ithgar growled. We'll instruct you in the rest of the ceremony at the top.

Once you pass under the first archway, you will remain silent until you make your wish of Jirachi,
    he growled at you. I know you pups must be shaking with excitement, but patience is a virtue, Hulloth snorted in amusement at that coming out of Ithgar's mouth, and he finished, Or at least, so I've been told.

They led you to the path, and Hulloth dabbed each of with a dark ochre you on the forehead, the chestbone, and the bottom of your feet, forcing you to take off boots or moccasins if you wore them to apply it.

Moghu was the first to go up, though Ithgar seemed to be picking at random the order to ascend the Stone Circle.

Spoiler: Moghu Only
    Show

The hike up the stone monument took the better part of five minutes. The path was well worn by the feet of generations of youth just like yourself, who had passed the Trials and hoped to make a wish. You passed under what must have been a hundred stone arches that stood over the well-worn path, each marked with the symbol of a different clan. You saw yours at one point, others from clans you'd encountered near home, and others that you'd first seen at the clansmeet. There were many more that you didn't recognize at all. Some even belonged to Clans that you knew no longer existed, such as the recently extinct Noctowl Clan. When you crested the top of the Stone Circle, many things caught your eye, warring for your attention. What you noticed first, you wouldn't remember.

Was it the solem circle of menhirs, standing tall and proud?
    Was it the beautiful iridescent purple crystal, glowing with the light of the moon itself?
    Was it the soft golden barrier around it?
    Was it the all-consuming fire ravaging the Clansmeet and its inhabitants on the distant horizon?
    Was it the massive Emboar leaving a river of flames as it steadily raced towards the Stone Circle?
    Or was it the Absol, curled up next to the barrier that held Jirachi, its eyes fixed steadily on you?

When you'd taken in the scene, the Absol stood and nuzzled the barrier around Jirachi in as meaningful a way as it could. Then it turned and raced to the edge of the Stone Circle, leaping off and down the hundreds and hundreds of feet to the grasslands below, racing as far away from the disaster that was about to unfold.

Spoiler: Everyone Else
    Show

I'd recommend holding off till Arc posts, since his reaction might shape your reaction. In general, we can assume that the posting order of you three is just whatever order Ithgar decided to go with. Yashe and Beshelt can be the last of you up the stone.

-----
    The hike up the stone monument took the better part of five minutes. The path was well worn by the feet of generations of youth just like yourself, who had passed the Trials and hoped to make a wish. You passed under what must have been a hundred stone arches that stood over the well-worn path, each marked with the symbol of a different clan. You saw yours at one point, others from clans you'd encountered near home, and others that you'd first seen at the clansmeet. There were many more that you didn't recognize at all. Some even belonged to Clans that you knew no longer existed, such as the recently extinct Noctowl Clan. When you crested the top of the Stone Circle, many things caught your eye, warring for your attention. What you noticed first, you wouldn't remember.

Was it the solem circle of menhirs, standing tall and proud?
    Was it the beautiful iridescent purple crystal, glowing with the light of the moon itself?
    Was it the soft golden barrier around it?
    Was it the all-consuming fire ravaging the Clansmeet and its inhabitants on the distant horizon?
    Was it the massive Emboar leaving a river of flames as it steadily raced towards the Stone Circle?

Games I'm in:
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #268
    Titan in the Playground

Moghu stood stoically as the Soul Clan praised their efforts, masking his excitement as best as he is able. If Inneq was right, and this could change things for the Flame-Hunters, that would be enough, even if his wish did not come true. Moghu peeled off his boots to receive Hulloth's mark, nodding to the shaman as he did so. As Moghu made the hike, he allowed himself to dream of the world his wish could create. The Flame-Hunters would be able to do something else within the clan, and would not need to risk their lives. The Great Mother would be safe and, with the safety no great fires brought, could perhaps make better contact with the other tribes. More importantly, Inneq couldn't die in a great blaze, and Moghu wouldn't be able to lose his tattoos. If his wish came true, that dream would be nothing but a dream.

When Moghu took in the sights at the top of the Stone Circle, his grip instantly clenched around his spear with a white-knuckled intensity. He had heard tales of Absol all his life, and the warnings yesterday were not enough to wholly deter that. However, as Moghu saw the horizon, there was a soft clatter as the spear fell from his hand, hitting the floor. The Absol was gone before Moghu had the chance to react, the Flame-Hunter staring at the great inferno on the horizon slack-jawed. An Emboar, an apex predator. Flames made flesh, fueled by rage. Moghu had heard stories of them, but never seen one in person. The boy could swear he felt his tattoos pulling away from his body, as if to put any more distance between them and the beast.

Eventually, years of training and discipline broke through Moghu's fear, and the boy began to move almost unconsciously.

FIRE! Moghu shouts as loud as he can, finding a volume that he didn't even know he had. FIRE AT THE CLANSMEET! he shouted again, eyes frantic. Inneq was back there. Was the last dream a prophecy? If it was, there was no chance that Moghu could let it become true. Moghu hurriedly picked up his spear, turning to anything he could use to stop this.

And found only Jirachi, sealed within a crystal.

Moghu ran towards the barrier, slamming a fist into it as hard as he could. Stop the fires! he shouts, pummeling the barrier. That is my wish! STOP THE FIRES!

Show

29. - Top - End - #269
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

Eira's uneasy ruminations over her wish are interrupted by Moghu's roar at the top of the mountain. Rushing up to the top for the greater view, she takes in the situation in a glance, her eyes widening at the enormous flaming Pokemon headed their way. It seems the South isn't quite as safe as they all seem to act.

Sparing a glance at Moghu hammering at the golden barrier (As long as we've got the supernatural part covered, I guess, she thinks with more skepticism than she'd say aloud), Eira turns towards the rest of the group. "Beshelt, do you have a Water-Type? If not, you're with me; we need to start getting that thing's attention away from anyone who's still alive at the CLansmeet," she says, tapping Pebble's Apricorn rapidly. I can't release her now; there's no point at the top of this rock.

"We need one more volunteer; someone fast and willing to be burned a bit if it comes to that. The rest of you, get to the river and start working on that fire as fast as you can. There might still be some people alive on the outskirts; if any of them are able to move, get them moving water as fast as they can."
    Now that the disaster had finally come, she feels much calmer; she can deal with active catastrophe much better than looming possibilities. "I have no idea what this thing is, but we have to move fast. Who's going to help lead Big and Burny away?"
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #270

RedKnightGirl

Jayce set a plodding pace, stil contemplating the journey he was on, both literally and figuratively. Dao marched beside him, enjoying the exercise while Ivan snoozed in his harness. The moment of truth was soon to be upon him, but he still worried about what might lay ahead. So far, the omens had failed to materialize anything. That's when he heard the shout.

Arriving at the scene, Eria and Moghu had already started taking action. Jayce just stood a moment in dread and awe. The efforts of the small group of them seemed so trivial when taking the size of the Clansmeet into consideration. "Will we be able to descend in time? That pokemon is heading right for us. Do you think the wards will hold? Absol I saw was looking right this way. I think Jirachi is in danger!"
    Last edited by CateranEnforcer; 2021-03-28 at 09:49 AM.