Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 14 of 27 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast
Results 391 to 420 of 805

Thread: The Snyder Cut

  1. - Top - End - #391
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Rater202's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Where I am

    Default Re: The Snyder Cut

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    Well, that sounds like Jason Aaron. Nifty ideas with no care for continuity, common sense, or potentially execution. I’m happy I skipped that run now.
    It gets worse.

    See, One of the first thing established is that back in 1,000,000 BC and for a few thousand years after that, Odin had a ... Thing, with Firehair, the "I'm not gonna call her a mutant becuase they weren't supposed to exist yet and she hasn't been explicitly called one but it's what she's being presented as" who hosted The Phoenix Force.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aaron is trying to claim that the Phoenix Force/Fire Hair is Thor's mom and that Gaea(Jord) being Thor's mom was a lie.

    Keep in mind we've seen Odin arranging to have a child with Gaea in her guise of the Giantess Jord and why and that Thor's mother being the Elder Goddess who is an embodiment of the earth and all things that live on it has been a plot point multiple times up to and including the Empyre event where Thor went off on a quest to learn how to channel his mother's powers and then used it to shut down the Caoti's plant control abilities.

    Now, we know that Thor had at least one previous incarnation who was a Red Head and died in a previous Ragnarock cycle. Until stated otherwise, I'm going to assume that that Thor is Firehair's son and the current Thor is Gaea's son, but the way it's being presented that's clearly not what Aaron intends... Despite all of the horrible continuity errors such retcon causes.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2021-03-05 at 12:35 PM.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

    Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here

    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

  2. - Top - End - #392
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2011

    Default Re: The Snyder Cut

    Originally Posted by Tyndmyr
    There are very few franchises that manage four solid films without one of the above happening. By any reasonable film standard, the MCU's doing quite well.
    Agreed, but the question is whether the MCU will keep it up with their swarm of new series on Disney+, which seems to be where the real action is happening.

  3. - Top - End - #393
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Utah
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Snyder Cut

    Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    That does seem likely. But still, we're far past the usual point of rebooting or horribly contrived sequels for most film series.

    There are very few franchises that manage four solid films without one of the above happening. By any reasonable film standard, the MCU's doing quite well.
    I would argue that they hit the 'horribly contrived sequels' wit the third movie, Iron Man 2. I agree that they are doing quite well compared to most, but there have definitely been stinkers in there.
    Campaigning in my home brewed world for the since spring of 2020 - started a campaign journal to keep track of what is going on a few levels in. It starts here: https://www.worldanvil.com/w/the-ter...report-article

    Created an interactive character sheet for sidekicks on Google Sheets - automatic calculations, drop down menus for sidekick type, hopefully everything necessary to run a sidekick: https://tinyurl.com/y6rnyuyc

  4. - Top - End - #394
    Troll in the Playground
     
    GnomeWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2013

    Default Re: The Snyder Cut

    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Credence View Post
    I would argue that they hit the 'horribly contrived sequels' wit the third movie, Iron Man 2. I agree that they are doing quite well compared to most, but there have definitely been stinkers in there.
    They seem to have learned from this though. Both Iron Man 3 and Thor: Dark World suffered from excessive focus on the title characters when we know them well and also had "Who?" villains. They felt isolated from the MCU.

    Contrast later films. Winter Soldier introduced new heroes and advanced the main storyline. Civil War is practically a full Avengers movie. Thor Ragnarok is equal parts Thor and Hulk.

    It's easier to make a compelling sequel if you're pushing the entire setting forward with them.

  5. - Top - End - #395
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Snyder Cut

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    They seem to have learned from this though. Both Iron Man 3 and Thor: Dark World suffered from excessive focus on the title characters when we know them well and also had "Who?" villains. They felt isolated from the MCU.

    Contrast later films. Winter Soldier introduced new heroes and advanced the main storyline. Civil War is practically a full Avengers movie. Thor Ragnarok is equal parts Thor and Hulk.

    It's easier to make a compelling sequel if you're pushing the entire setting forward with them.
    Iron Man 3 was a later film from Iron Man 2.

    Also Winter Soldier (one of the few I've seen) suffered from "where the hell is everyone else during this global, world-changing emergency" syndrome and also had "literally the first guy we meet and have known for two days but conveniently is the one person who can use bleeding edge technology to be on par with the others" as the new hero. It was pretty bad.
    Spoiler: Avatar by always-awesome Cuthalion
    Show
    Spoiler: Come down with fire
    Show
    Spoiler: Lift my spirit higher
    Show
    Spoiler: Someone's screaming my name
    Show
    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    We're from Europe, not a mirror dimension.

  6. - Top - End - #396
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Dragonus45's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Knoxville Tennessee
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Snyder Cut

    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    It gets worse.

    See, One of the first thing established is that back in 1,000,000 BC and for a few thousand years after that, Odin had a ... Thing, with Firehair, the "I'm not gonna call her a mutant becuase they weren't supposed to exist yet and she hasn't been explicitly called one but it's what she's being presented as" who hosted The Phoenix Force.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aaron is trying to claim that the Phoenix Force/Fire Hair is Thor's mom and that Gaea(Jord) being Thor's mom was a lie.

    Keep in mind we've seen Odin arranging to have a child with Gaea in her guise of the Giantess Jord and why and that Thor's mother being the Elder Goddess who is an embodiment of the earth and all things that live on it has been a plot point multiple times up to and including the Empyre event where Thor went off on a quest to learn how to channel his mother's powers and then used it to shut down the Caoti's plant control abilities.

    Now, we know that Thor had at least one previous incarnation who was a Red Head and died in a previous Ragnarock cycle. Until stated otherwise, I'm going to assume that that Thor is Firehair's son and the current Thor is Gaea's son, but the way it's being presented that's clearly not what Aaron intends... Despite all of the horrible continuity errors such retcon causes.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yea that sounds like him. Not a bad writer overall, but perhaps he should be just specifically barred from touching anything and everything to do with Thor. I swear it brings out the worst in him as a writer.


    Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    They seem to have learned from this though. Both Iron Man 3 and Thor: Dark World suffered from excessive focus on the title characters when we know them well and also had "Who?" villains. They felt isolated from the MCU.

    Contrast later films. Winter Soldier introduced new heroes and advanced the main storyline. Civil War is practically a full Avengers movie. Thor Ragnarok is equal parts Thor and Hulk.

    It's easier to make a compelling sequel if you're pushing the entire setting forward with them.
    I disagree.

    Iron Man 3 worked much better of those two since as the third movie it was a chance to pull in and look much closer at Tony as a person after all this super heroics and post Avengers stuff. The problems it had came a lot more from just having a weak script.

    Dark World as well just bad from the roots and I wouldn't blame it on any one part more then the rest.

    Civil War walked the finest of lines though with that Avengers thing.

    Managing to stick the entire cast of the franchise in there really just for one big fight but making it still feel like they were all so much more present then just Bucky, Cap, and Tony was just the chefs kiss. And the core themes of the movie make it genuinely feel like it was always Cap's show so to speak, outside of Black Panther getting a solid "revenge isn't the way" B plot to just get that origin story plot out of the way gracefully and free up his actual movie to really go places, but frankly you could have paired down Tony to just the cameo initially envisioned and keep it to just Cap and his supporting cast and still made a fairly compelling movie. Moving the "plot" forward was just a bonus to it.

    Ragnarok was a unique special piece of media best described as an apology for the Thor series not really feeling like it could earn a big sendoff movie to cap off Thor's arc and the Hulk movies just never taking off at all so ****it lets just throw a big party and blow up Asgard! I am aware there is some genuine commentary and metacommentary there but that was also just set dressing for the need to cover some bases and get Thor the third movie Hemsworth deserved and barely moved the "metaplot" forward in any meaningful way.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

  7. - Top - End - #397
    Titan in the Playground
     
    AvatarVecna's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2014

    Default Re: The Snyder Cut

    *Thanos snap happens, Reed Richards and Doctor Doom survive, but the rest of the Fantastic Four does not*

    Doom: "Excellent! Richards' entire team got snapped and now he must mourn their loss! Once again, DOOM has proven superior by having no friends to mourn in the first place!"

    *Reed, being canonically smarter than Tony Stark, figures out how to bring back snapped people, and uses this just to bring back his three teammates*

    Doom: "RICHARDS!!!"


    Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Apogee1's Stranger Things Mafia

    Avatar by AsteriskAmp

  8. - Top - End - #398
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Rater202's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Where I am

    Default Re: The Snyder Cut

    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    *Thanos snap happens, Reed Richards and Doctor Doom survive, but the rest of the Fantastic Four does not*

    Doom: "Excellent! Richards' entire team got snapped and now he must mourn their loss! Once again, DOOM has proven superior by having no friends to mourn in the first place!"

    *Reed, being canonically smarter than Tony Stark, figures out how to bring back snapped people, and uses this just to bring back his three teammates*

    Doom: "RICHARDS!!!"
    ...I want to say that's an exaggeration... But Reed once created a mathematical proof of the existence of immortal souls, extrapolated this to prove the existence of the afterlife, and used that to create a portal to Heaven solely because he couldn't accept that his best friend was dead.

    Reed Richards has objective proof of the existence of Heaven and has met and had a conversation with Capital G God and did nothing wth it.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

    Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here

    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

  9. - Top - End - #399
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Lizardfolk

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Snyder Cut

    So Reed Richards is basically Cave Johnson from Portal?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

  10. - Top - End - #400
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Dec 2019

    Default Re: The Snyder Cut

    Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    So Reed Richards is basically Cave Johnson from Portal?
    Cave was a money (and ideas) man, there was no indication he was a scientist.
    Last edited by Dire_Flumph; 2021-03-05 at 02:13 PM.

  11. - Top - End - #401
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Rater202's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Where I am

    Default Re: The Snyder Cut

    Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    So Reed Richards is basically Cave Johnson from Portal?
    No, becuase Reed's inventions work for their intended purposes.

    More seriously that real reason that Reed Richards is Useless is that his inventions are either difficult to replicate or would ruin the economy.

    One of the main reasons that Reed has infinite money to throw into his inventions is becuase he got bored and invented a permanent cure for acne, boils, and other pus-filled blemishes that could be manufactured much more cheaply than most such treatments—you pay less than it costs to by over the counter pimple cream, take it once, and not only are your various blemishes gone but you can never get that kind of blemish again.

    Various pharmaceutical operations are paying him a portion of their yearly income to prevent him from selling the recipe to any of the others or from marketing to himself becuase it would completely destroy the industry for treatments for such things.

    A lot of Reed's inventions are like that. Reed's basically holding the economy hostage without even trying.

    If you want to have a Cave Johnson analog... I suggest Norman Osborn, who created a universal cancer cure... for the sole sake of murdering Deadpool with it.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

    Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here

    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

  12. - Top - End - #402
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Tyndmyr's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Snyder Cut

    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Credence View Post
    I would argue that they hit the 'horribly contrived sequels' wit the third movie, Iron Man 2. I agree that they are doing quite well compared to most, but there have definitely been stinkers in there.
    I don't mind Iron Man 2, and felt that one was actually pretty decent. Thor 2 and Iron Man 3, now, you might have a point.

    But these are all at least still semi-functional films. They're not Donnie Darko 2, the direct to dvd unnecessary sequel, yknow? Or whatever it is that keeps plaguing any adaptation of the Fantastic Four.

    Heck, compare the MCU to the DCU. The former has a couple of rough entries, but the latter has perhaps three good movies, one mediocre one, and five bombs. (The Good: WW, Shazam, Aquaman. The Mediocre: Man of Steel)

    Of all the various movie franchises out there, I suspect only James Bond *might* have as many fan-beloved films as the MCU.

  13. - Top - End - #403
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Clertar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Ockham
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Snyder Cut

    Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    The former has a couple of rough entries, but the latter has perhaps three good movies, one mediocre one, and five bombs. (The Good: WW, Shazam, Aquaman. The Mediocre: Man of Steel)
    And these three are more or less at mediocre-average MCU standard.

    It's fair and square to criticize the MCU for the things that they don't get right (enough), and to expect quality from them. But any other movie franchise would sell their soul to have half the success in achieving what was intended.
    "Like the old proverb says, if one sees something not right, one must draw out his sword to intervene"

  14. - Top - End - #404
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Snyder Cut

    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    Reed, being canonically smarter than Tony Stark, figures out how to bring back snapped people
    Super easy, barely an inconvenience. He just needs to have enough knowledge to know he's in the MCU, where consequences don't really happen.
    Spoiler: Avatar by always-awesome Cuthalion
    Show
    Spoiler: Come down with fire
    Show
    Spoiler: Lift my spirit higher
    Show
    Spoiler: Someone's screaming my name
    Show
    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    We're from Europe, not a mirror dimension.

  15. - Top - End - #405
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Fyraltari's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    France
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Snyder Cut

    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    No, becuase Reed's inventions work for their intended purposes.

    More seriously that real reason that Reed Richards is Useless is that his inventions are either difficult to replicate or would ruin the economy.

    One of the main reasons that Reed has infinite money to throw into his inventions is becuase he got bored and invented a permanent cure for acne, boils, and other pus-filled blemishes that could be manufactured much more cheaply than most such treatments—you pay less than it costs to by over the counter pimple cream, take it once, and not only are your various blemishes gone but you can never get that kind of blemish again.

    Various pharmaceutical operations are paying him a portion of their yearly income to prevent him from selling the recipe to any of the others or from marketing to himself becuase it would completely destroy the industry for treatments for such things.
    What. The opportunity to justify his wealth AND lampshade the improbable good looks of all their chatacters (name one superhero character with acne) was staring them right in the face and instead of just saying "Reed Richards made a ton of money by selling a permanent cure for acne" they went with "our superhero character got bribed by big pharma." Why?
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law



    Mage avatar by smutmulch.

    Forum Wisdom

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    the Vector Legion [is the IFCC's new pawns], mark my words. Way too much unfinished business there and they already know about the Gates.
    I'll take that bet.

  16. - Top - End - #406
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2008

    Default Re: The Snyder Cut

    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    (name one superhero character with acne)
    Superboy... quite infamously.

    It almost killed him.

  17. - Top - End - #407
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Rater202's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Where I am

    Default Re: The Snyder Cut

    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    What. The opportunity to justify his wealth AND lampshade the improbable good looks of all their chatacters (name one superhero character with acne) was staring them right in the face and instead of just saying "Reed Richards made a ton of money by selling a permanent cure for acne" they went with "our superhero character got bribed by big pharma." Why?
    Honestly it's just one joke among many—Reed often invents things that should change the world but when he sells or tries to market it he's told it'll destroy the economy and either th person who buys the patents sits on it or he gets paid not to mass produce it.

    The acne was just the one I could think of off the top of my head.

    Though, admittedly, since specifically acne is caused by a bacterial infection and pimples and boils and the like in general are "there's grease or bacteria in your pores"

    The fact that pretty much everyone with superpowers has some enhanced ability to heal or a bolstered immune system would explain why they don't have to deal with that. The ones who don't are usually very big on health and fitness. That would explain why they're all good-looking.

    (Also, the worst acne outbreaks, the "pizza face" look is usually caused by someone washing their faces to much and scrubbing to hard in the hopes of getting rid of the acne, which ironically just dries out your skin and damages the surface layer making you more prone to skin damage and infections. Cleanliness is important but a lot of people take it to far or do it wrong.)
    Last edited by Rater202; 2021-03-05 at 04:23 PM.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

    Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here

    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

  18. - Top - End - #408
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Lord Raziere's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: The Snyder Cut

    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    What. The opportunity to justify his wealth AND lampshade the improbable good looks of all their chatacters (name one superhero character with acne) was staring them right in the face and instead of just saying "Reed Richards made a ton of money by selling a permanent cure for acne" they went with "our superhero character got bribed by big pharma." Why?
    Its a problem in comic books that if you let the inventor superhero actually change the world with their inventions, you quickly end up with something out of a sci-fi novel that doesn't look like the earth we know, and something something unrecognizable to the audience, something something not relatable, blah blah blah people in charge probably overkilled the willingness to NOT the change the world in that instance to prevent the world from becoming unrelatable and having to explain how its different and such.

    its ironically why Reed Richards is considered useless in the first place. all his super-science gets confined to super-science problems because for some reason there is no middle ground between "just like our world but with supers here and there" and "the inventor superhero has created a sci-fi utopia". its kinda dumb.
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2021-03-05 at 04:25 PM.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".



  19. - Top - End - #409
    Spamalot in the Playground
     
    Psyren's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Snyder Cut

    Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    I'm with you on this. Routine giant resets just feel obnoxious after a bit, and makes all character development feel meaningless.

    Comics are odd. I enjoy them sometimes, but it's hard to unironically enjoy much of the content itself. Even the biggest comic fans have to sometimes just shrug and acknowledge that the genre is wildly mixed, and the length of many runs sort of destroys even the broadest levels of consistency.

    One hopes that more folks would take a page from the MCU, where there's at least some broad overarching vision regarding how things fit together. Not that the MCU is perfect, mind you, but there's at least an attempt there.
    I actualy don't mind giant resets. If a given story didn't work or ruined a character, throw it out by any means necessary. What I mind is this whole mealy-mouthed "yes it actually happened, but in a pocket dimension nobody remembers" milquetoast attempt to please the few who liked it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Until the MCU continues to the point that it has the same system of patchwork and fixes and resets and alternate worlds as the comics. Don't confuse newer with better.
    By the time that happens we might be done with superheroes as a film concept anyway.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    They seem to have learned from this though. Both Iron Man 3 and Thor: Dark World suffered from excessive focus on the title characters when we know them well and also had "Who?" villains. They felt isolated from the MCU.

    Contrast later films. Winter Soldier introduced new heroes and advanced the main storyline. Civil War is practically a full Avengers movie. Thor Ragnarok is equal parts Thor and Hulk.

    It's easier to make a compelling sequel if you're pushing the entire setting forward with them.
    Part of the problem with IM3 and AOU is that they're not in the right order, story-wise. None of Phase 2 is. Nando has a great video on this. This is why we got really weird inconsistencies like Iron Man destroying all his suits in 3, only to inexplicably be in one and building a fleet of them again in AOU, as well as Shield disbanding in Winter Soldier and Nick Fury going into hiding, only to show up and save the day in AOU.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Quote Originally Posted by gogogome View Post
    Cheers to Psyren the MVP "naysayer".
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

  20. - Top - End - #410
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Kitten Champion's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2012

    Default Re: The Snyder Cut

    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    as well as Shield disbanding in Winter Soldier and Nick Fury going into hiding, only to show up and save the day in AOU.
    But the whole point is that Nick Fury's appearance in AoU is a surprise and not a "well of course SHIELD is around, why wouldn't they be?"-kind of thing.

    It's also set up in Agents of SHIELD, though it was the last plot point - albeit a relatively minor one - that transcended into the television medium. Well, until WandaVision presumably.

  21. - Top - End - #411
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    EvilClericGuy

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Indiana
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Snyder Cut

    Re: Most superheroes are good looking
    This was somewhat addressed in Avengers Academy. One of the characters was a young girl and she notices that she no longer needs to wear glasses and is in noticeably better shape. Hank Pym tells her that most powers seem to enhance people to something closer to physical perfection* and they have an easier time of staying in shape.

    * I don't have the book in front of me but I don't think these are the exact words he uses but it is the general idea.

  22. - Top - End - #412
    Spamalot in the Playground
     
    Psyren's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Snyder Cut

    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrant View Post
    Re: Most superheroes are good looking
    This was somewhat addressed in Avengers Academy. One of the characters was a young girl and she notices that she no longer needs to wear glasses and is in noticeably better shape. Hank Pym tells her that most powers seem to enhance people to something closer to physical perfection* and they have an easier time of staying in shape.

    * I don't have the book in front of me but I don't think these are the exact words he uses but it is the general idea.
    I always thought this was a natural consequence of most superhero teams being paid to work out, do Danger Room exercises etc. Talk about an unnecessary handwave...

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Quote Originally Posted by gogogome View Post
    Cheers to Psyren the MVP "naysayer".
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

  23. - Top - End - #413
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Rater202's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Where I am

    Default Re: The Snyder Cut

    Mutants aren't wrong when they claim to be the "next step" in human evolution. Though honestly, that term applies to superhumans in general.

    Having superpowers in and of itself make you more fit...

    Though it's only certain powers/power origins that actually makes you "perfect."

    And yes, I know that doesn't make sense but the very existence of the High Evolutionary should tell you that normal evolution isn't a thing in comic books.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

    Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here

    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

  24. - Top - End - #414
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Snyder Cut

    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Mutants aren't wrong when they claim to be the "next step" in human evolution. Though honestly, that term applies to superhumans in general.

    Having superpowers in and of itself make you more fit...
    For for what?
    Spoiler: Avatar by always-awesome Cuthalion
    Show
    Spoiler: Come down with fire
    Show
    Spoiler: Lift my spirit higher
    Show
    Spoiler: Someone's screaming my name
    Show
    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    We're from Europe, not a mirror dimension.

  25. - Top - End - #415
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Rynjin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2016

    Default Re: The Snyder Cut

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    For for what?
    For superheroics, duh.

  26. - Top - End - #416
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Rater202's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Where I am

    Default Re: The Snyder Cut

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    For for what?
    In general. Stronger, healthier, and so on. Better able to survive in a natural environment.

    It doesn't really amount to much on a day to day basis since most superhumans live in modern western civilization, and unless "superhuman attributes" or "superhuman immunity" are your powers it's only particularly noticeable if you're actively comparing a superhuman to a normal human of the same body type, environment, and lifestyle, but it's there and it's the reason why Superhumans tend to be better looking and healthier than baseline humans on average.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

    Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here

    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

  27. - Top - End - #417
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Snyder Cut

    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    In general. Stronger, healthier, and so on. Better able to survive in a natural environment.
    That's not what "fittest" means though, nor is it necessarily better able to survive in a natural environment (which as you pointed out later in your reply, is irrelevant anyway).

    No mutants are no less fit than mutants from an evolutionary point of view.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2021-03-05 at 08:39 PM.
    Spoiler: Avatar by always-awesome Cuthalion
    Show
    Spoiler: Come down with fire
    Show
    Spoiler: Lift my spirit higher
    Show
    Spoiler: Someone's screaming my name
    Show
    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    We're from Europe, not a mirror dimension.

  28. - Top - End - #418
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2008

    Default Re: The Snyder Cut

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    That's not what "fittest" means though, nor is it necessarily better able to survive in a natural environment (which as you pointed out later in your reply, is irrelevant anyway).

    No mutants are no less fit than mutants from an evolutionary point of view.
    All evolutionarily fit means, is more likely to survive long enough to reproduce. This by extension usually means being more capable of surviving in general or gathering resources in the environment they’re in.

    And I kind of think mutants fit that description. Since many of them do have traits that would normally increase survivability, especially living in Marvel Manhattan where it is utter chaos and normal people die by the truckload.

    This is somewhat counteracted by the cultural developments that seem to push mutants into more extremely dangerous scenarios either through being a super hero or villain. But I don’t think evolution really accounts for that.

  29. - Top - End - #419
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Rater202's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Where I am

    Default Re: The Snyder Cut

    [QUOTE=Peelee;24957257]That's not what "fittest" means though, nor is it necessarily better able to survive in a natural environment (which as you pointed out later in your reply, is irrelevant anyway).

    I did not say "fittest," I said "more fit." Someone who is predisposed to be healthier and stronger/faster/tougher physically is more likely to live long enough to have children, all other things equal, and is thus more fit in terms of pure Darwinian evolution.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    No mutants are no less fit than mutants from an evolutionary point of view.
    Since we are now talking specifically about mutants:

    The average mutant is, before accounting for powers and physiological changes, just slightly stronger, harder to injure, faster, and harder to tire out than a human of similar build, environment, or health habits. They also have a noticeably higher resistance to drugs and toxins—Boom Boom, a notorious party-girl, on one occasion celebrates the fact that, as a mutant, it takes a couple of extra beers before she starts to get drunk.

    Mutants are immune to some, not all, but some bacterial and viral infections. A plot point is that under normal circumstances they can't e infected by Sublime, but it's explicitly mentioned that mutants can't get HIV. This is in addition to having a slightly stronger immune system, on average.

    Take a physically fit and healthy human and a mutant with the same general health and body time, level of activity, and so on, both with equal knowledge of survival, and drop each of them naked and without supplies on two separate but functionally identical desert islands and come back in a year. The mutant is more likely to still be alive.

    This is, of course, assuming that the mutant doesn't have a superpower that gives them an unfair advantage and that neither the mutant nor the human has some physical or mental disability that puts them at an unfair disadvantage.

    Now, there are cases of mutants having powers that are harmful, like Rogue or Cyclops or Wither, dangerous powers they can't turn off, but those are almost universally the result of brain damage, psychological trauma, or both. The ones that aren't are usually caused by stressors causing the powers to manifest sooner than they should have, which sometimes makes things break.

    This is of course, excluding outliers--If we're comparing how well humans vs mutants can hold their liquor, it's not gonna be Ozzy Osbourne drinking for team human.

    (Osbourne is a real-life mutant, BTW. About ten years ago his genome was sequenced and he has several unique genetic mutations that allow him to better process drugs and alcohol and also makes him age slightly slower than normal. It ain't X-Men level crap but his unique genes have been the subject of study.)

    If we include outliers, then there is a subcategory of Mutants called Externals. Externals just... It's like Highlander. The only way they can die is to be killed by another External, which results in the slain External's life-energy being distributed among the other Externals. Otherwise, they stop aging when their powers manifest and will revive from any means of killing them, assuming they can be killed in the first place.

    (Externals is also a group of 5-6 long-lived mutants who do conspiracy stuff, but not every member of the Group Externals is an External in the biological sense, and not every External is a member of the group.)

    Since some members of the mutant population literally can't die, and fitness in an evolutionary sense is defined as "live long enough to pass on your genes," that pretty much cinches it.

    As does the fact that humans sometimes give birth to human populations: Under the current canon, at the rate that humans are giving birth to mutant offspring, mutants will be 51% of the native earthling population within 20 in-universe years.

    This prompts the formation of ORCHIS, a group of racist bastards who used to work for SHIELD, SWORD, HAMMER, AIM, HYDRA and other such organizations that have stolen resources from the same in order to wipe out mutants now so they won't be the majority in the future. They're currently holed up in a space station orbiting the sun and came within inches of accidentally causing a human extinction via robot uprising. Thought making a self-aware Master Mold that makes other Master Molds and is capable of making robots more advanced than itself was a good idea.

    For context, even Weapon Plus hates ORCHIS. The head of Weapon II went out of his way to destroy an ORCHIS operation
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

    Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here

    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

  30. - Top - End - #420
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Snyder Cut

    Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    All evolutionarily fit means, is more likely to survive long enough to reproduce. This by extension usually means being more capable of surviving in general or gathering resources in the environment they’re in.

    And I kind of think mutants fit that description. Since many of them do have traits that would normally increase survivability, especially living in Marvel Manhattan where it is utter chaos and normal people die by the truckload.
    Not a lot of the mutants that I am aware of have reproduced, so I have reason to doubt your assertion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    I did not say "fittest," I said "more fit." Someone who is predisposed to be healthier and stronger/faster/tougher physically is more likely to live long enough to have children, all other things equal, and is thus more fit in terms of pure Darwinian evolution.
    None of those make mutants more fit in terms of pure Darwinian evolution. They are the exactly same amount of fit. Darwinian evolution deems fitness in response to the environment. For example, the peppered moth underwent massively fast evolution during the industrial revolution, because white peppered moths were hard to see when landed. As a result, black peppered moths were eaten more often, as they were easier to see. Once the industrial revolution hit and the soot darkened the landscape, the white peppered moth suddenly stood out far more and the rare black peppered moth was more hidden, leading to a shift in peppered moths being predominantly black with the white variety now being rare.

    The white and black peppered moths were the same level off strength/fastness/toughness. None of that mattered. All that mattered was which was was able to survive and reproduce more in its environment, and when that environment suddenly changed, the variant that happened to fit that change was the one that survived, and was thus the more fit one.

    Nonmutants are no less fit than mutants to survive and reproduce. Mutants are not more fit. QED.
    Spoiler: Avatar by always-awesome Cuthalion
    Show
    Spoiler: Come down with fire
    Show
    Spoiler: Lift my spirit higher
    Show
    Spoiler: Someone's screaming my name
    Show
    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    We're from Europe, not a mirror dimension.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •