New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 21 of 28 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122232425262728 LastLast

Thread: The Snyder Cut

1. - Top - End - #601
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: The Snyder Cut

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    I dont think anybody has said that for the past year, TBF. This isnt a teenager specific thing.
    Yeah, but I'm referencing the lines that said something like, "you fight teenagers? Do you meet them at the mall?"
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

2. - Top - End - #602
    Ogre in the Playground

So

Finished this mini-series. The story was definetly better than the original movie, but...

But Snyder obsession with desaturated color palette still have this movie to be dreary, depressing and just.. Lack luster. It's ugly. Black superman uniform looks wrong. Mara's grey hair looks wrong. The Justice League with no color looks wrong and boring and generic and ashamed of what it tries to be.

It's a comic book movie for God's sake. It's not meant to be a Film Noir alien invasion. Snyder's style just harks back to the 1990s super hero movies where everyone just had black flight suits because they were ashamed of their character comic book origins.

Gimme Aquaman palettes 10 times out of 10
    Last edited by Cikomyr2; 2021-03-29 at 09:59 AM.

3. - Top - End - #603
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Peelee
    I don't think teenagers these days say "hey do you want to go hang out at the mall?" with nearly as much frequency as last millennium.
    Dare I ask, what do they say?

Originally Posted by Tyndmyr
    We mostly knew the characters, and most of those stand as excellent films in their own right. Sure, the Hulk is dodgy, but one meh film out of six? Not at all bad.
    You’re being very, very forgiving with Thor.

Just re-watched it a few days ago, and it’s…well, it’s big dumb fun. I enjoy it for that, and for the setup it presents, but not that great on its own.

Last edited by Palanan; 2021-03-29 at 12:23 PM.

4. - Top - End - #604
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr2 View Post
    So

Finished this mini-series. The story was definetly better than the original movie, but...

But Snyder obsession with desaturated color palette still have this movie to be dreary, depressing and just.. Lack luster. It's ugly. Black superman uniform looks wrong. Mara's grey hair looks wrong. The Justice League with no color looks wrong and boring and generic and ashamed of what it tries to be.

It's a comic book movie for God's sake. It's not meant to be a Film Noir alien invasion. Snyder's style just harks back to the 1990s super hero movies where everyone just had black flight suits because they were ashamed of their character comic book origins.

Gimme Aquaman palettes 10 times out of 10
    So that's a no on the black-and-white cut?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

5. - Top - End - #605
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    They call adults Cringe a lot, I know that much.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

6. - Top - End - #606
    Titan in the Playground

You’re being very, very forgiving with Thor.

Just re-watched it a few days ago, and it’s…well, it’s big dumb fun. I enjoy it for that, and for the setup it presents, but not that great on its own.

Perhaps a bit. Thor 1 was at least a serviceable introduction. It's not as amazing as Iron Man 1, but I've gone back and rewatched it voluntarily, so it can't be all that awful.

Still light years better than Suicide Squad.

I think the only genuinely great film for the DCU prior to JL was...Wonder Woman. That one I'll go back and rewatch, the others? Pass.

7. - Top - End - #607
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Cikomyr2
    Snyder's style just harks back to the 1990s super hero movies where everyone just had black flight suits because they were ashamed of their character comic book origins.
    What would you prefer, yellow spandex?

But yeah. Hand it to Aquaman, they certainly made use of color.

Originally Posted by Tyndmyr
    Perhaps a bit. Thor 1 was at least a serviceable introduction. It's not as amazing as Iron Man 1, but I've gone back and rewatched it voluntarily, so it can't be all that awful.

Still light years better than Suicide Squad.
    Definitely agreed.

8. - Top - End - #608

Bit open ended, isn't that?

9. - Top - End - #609
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Bit open ended, isn't that?
    Well how do you know they DON'T say that then? you can't say one way or another, so taking issue with it is kind of weird, since you might be making just as much assumptions about teenagers as he is. that and whether they do could depend on the culture and location they're in. we can't generalize this.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

10. - Top - End - #610

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Well how do you know they DON'T say that then?
    I don't know Planck's constant offhand but I can state with a fair amount of certainty that it's not 4.

11. - Top - End - #611
    Titan in the Playground

I don't know Planck's constant offhand but I can state with a fair amount of certainty that it's not 4.
    So? We're not talking about physics. The question can have more than one answer and still be valid, one of them might be what you dismiss as not an answer out of hand and out of nowhere. it sounds like your just making an assumption that they just don't for whatever reason.

12. - Top - End - #612

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    So?
    That was a shorthand, folksy way to say that one need not necessarily know what something is to be able to say what something is not. For example, teenagers by and large do not go to the mall to hang out anymore as they did in the 80s and 90s. I don't need to know what they do instead to know what they no longer do, so asking me what they do instead is fallacious and asserting that I must know what they do instead to be able to state what they stopped doing is equally fallacious.

Or, put more folksy, I know it's not 4.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2021-03-29 at 04:11 PM.

13. - Top - End - #613
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So that's a no on the black-and-white cut?

14. - Top - End - #614
    Bugbear in the Playground

Flumph

Well, for one I was a teenager until just about few years ago and we were definitely hanging around the mall after school.

15. - Top - End - #615

Quote Originally Posted by Precure View Post
    Well, for one I was a teenager until just about few years ago and we were definitely hanging around the mall after school.
    It's a good thing I said "by and large" then. I was a teenager in the heyday of malls and we almost never went. I never claimed that no teenager has set foot in a mall since the turn of the century.

Anecdotes are like D&D - specific always beats general, but that doesn't invalidate general. If I said "people mostly like mushrooms" and you say "well I hate them," you haven't proved me wrong.

16. - Top - End - #616
    Titan in the Playground

It's a good thing I said "by and large" then. I was a teenager in the heyday of malls and we almost never went. I never claimed that no teenager has set foot in a mall since the turn of the century.

Anecdotes are like D&D - specific always beats general, but that doesn't invalidate general. If I said "people mostly like mushrooms" and you say "well I hate them," you haven't proved me wrong.
    By that logic I can say most stars clearly aren't spheres, say the sun is anecdotal evidence and that saying we know what the sun looks like doesn't disprove me because specific doesn't beat general, and that most stars by and large are not spheres

you keep claiming that this true, but thats all it is: a claim. whether or not its true has yet to be determined, because you don't have any evidence that you claim this is something that is happening "by and large". just as I would rightly be disproven by evidence showing that stars are spherical in shape.

17. - Top - End - #617

Flumph

I mean, your claim was that Colbert doesn't know what teenagers are up to now, because his take on Lex Luthor made a joke that includes the assumption that teenagers hang out at malls. To support this claim, you're the one who need to prove us that hanging out at the mall is not something teenagers do anymore. Am I getting it wrong?

18. - Top - End - #618
    Ogre in the Playground

How about this for evidence?

While Generation Z spends a great deal of time online making purchasing decisions, 81% of them prefer to go to stores.
    The article is dated 2019, so fairly recent.

On topic, from what I’ve been reading the Snyder Cut is along the lines of Batman v. Superman, which I was not keen on, so it sounds like I’m not going to bother seeing it. But if someone wants to try to change my mind, go for it, my bar for ‘watchable movies’ is really low right now.

19. - Top - End - #619
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga
    On topic, from what I’ve been reading the Snyder Cut is along the lines of Batman v. Superman, which I was not keen on, so it sounds like I’m not going to bother seeing it.
    As a fellow non-BVS-keen person, I think you’re very safe in skipping the Snyder Cut and still having a productive, meaningful life.

Also, there’s always Love and Monsters, which looks hilarious and uses a robust color palette.

And if all else fails, Zombieland: Double Tap is great fun and has slightly more of a plot than the first one, plus fewer tragic comedian deaths and more iconic Elvis memorabilia. And only one or two very brief moments in slow motion.

And absolutely no chanting.

20. - Top - End - #620

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post
    How about this for evidence?
    Dang near fell out of my chair. I'll totally cop to being wrong on that, then. You win this round, Colbert!

21. - Top - End - #621

Flumph

Maybe this, too? But it's more shopping rather than simply hanging around.

https://chainstoreage.com/news/surve...-better-online
    Last edited by Precure; 2021-03-30 at 08:30 AM.

22. - Top - End - #622
    Titan in the Playground

As a fellow non-BVS-keen person, I think you’re very safe in skipping the Snyder Cut and still having a productive, meaningful life.

Also, there’s always Love and Monsters, which looks hilarious and uses a robust color palette.

And if all else fails, Zombieland: Double Tap is great fun and has slightly more of a plot than the first one, plus fewer tragic comedian deaths and more iconic Elvis memorabilia. And only one or two very brief moments in slow motion.

And absolutely no chanting.
    Yup! In addition, we just had Nobody come out, which is basically John Wick if it took itself far less seriously. Great times.

Courier is also an excellent film if you're into grounded, realistic spy movies.

We're actually getting some good stuff released again, which is pretty welcome.

23. - Top - End - #623

GnomePirate

I finally had time to watch this (also in parts, like I hear a lot).
    It was... strange. It was so obviously an art project that even I started looking at "scenes" and "direction" and "camera work" and "sound design choices", instead of just watching a movie. I don't think I liked that.

Overall, it contributed to my feeling that this movie was mostly just a big pile of cool ideas that someone had thrown together. The style was cohesive (which was a definite improvement over the previous version!) but the movie itself was far from cohesive. It had a lot of strange, confusing scenes, that I can only imagine were included because they were too cool or interesting to not include.

For example, Aquaman still has two different introductions. In the previous version I assumed that was the result of add-on reshoots, but no! Snyder actually wanted to introduce Aquaman twice. Why did one of those have extended Nordic Singing? Don't know!

Another one that stood out to me was the scene were Batman recruits the Flash. It has a very strange music choice. Barry is making puns, Batman is saying his superpower is being rich, it's a generally relaxed atmosphere - but at the background is this fast-paced, excitement-building music. Like the whole scene is very urgent and building to a climax. But it isn't. They just drive off in a car to go chill somewhere. Why the exciting music? I don't know.

The weirdest shot of all was the one where Lois decides to go back to work. She has been moping for a while but is convinced to pick up her normal life again. So she opens a drawer next to her bed. The drawer is filled with some generic bedside props: tweezers, make up brush, nondescript medication, pregnancy test, a notebook, and her press card. So she grabs the press card and you see a close-up of her sad and determined face, and all makes sense.
    And then the movie shoots back to a random shot of the drawer. The camera focuses on the nondescript bottle of medication. Is this relevant? Do I know what kind of medication it is? I do not. Does the medication matter? It does not. And then the focus shifts from the medication to the unopened pregnancy test. Is this relevant? Does it matter? It does not.
    So we're watching the drawer with generic bedroom props for a few seconds before the scene continues as if nothing happened.
    Why? Who decided: yes, let's focus on the contents of this drawer? I assume in any decently edited movie this would have ended up on the cutting room floor.

The movie is filled with things like that. It very much feels like someone had a ginormous pile of cool shots, dialogue and music, but didn't know which piece had to go where, so they just glued it all together and hoped the end result would be nice.

I don't like that the movie made me think about things like that. I don't want to consider moviemaking when I'm watching a movie.
    Last edited by Murk; 2021-03-30 at 09:32 AM.

24. - Top - End - #624
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Murk View Post
    The movie is filled with things like that. It very much feels like someone had a ginormous pile of cool shots, dialogue and music, but didn't know which piece had to go where, so they just glued it all together and hoped the end result would be nice..
    Yes, that is how Zack Snyder movies work.

25. - Top - End - #625
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    Yes, that is how Zack Snyder movies work.
    Lack of a solo cohesive theme or vision makes it more chaotic, but I can see the argument that people take what they need form the movie, so many people could have various interpretation and come away with different feelings.

He's like Rorschach in the movie Watchman. Two viewers could have completely different interpretation of his character : deranged psycho, last moral man standing, everything in-between. And that's from the same movie.

26. - Top - End - #626
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Murk
    It very much feels like someone had a ginormous pile of cool shots, dialogue and music, but didn't know which piece had to go where, so they just glued it all together and hoped the end result would be nice.
    Everything I’m hearing tells me that this movie was crying out for a determined editor. All of this sounds like it comes from a director who is so focused on individual shots that he’s not able to step back and consider how they work together—or don’t—as a whole.

Just from watching the trailer for the Snyder Cut, which I barely managed to get through, the movie comes across as pretentious and self-indulgent, and everything I’m hearing tends to back that up.

Broadly speaking, it’s nice that a director was able to go back and present his original vision for a film. But this particular vision carries a lot of baggage, and evidently carries it in slow motion.

27. - Top - End - #627
    Barbarian in the Playground

I found this version to be WAY more cohesive than the Whedon cut. Yes, it's self-indulgent, with a few odd choices, but structurally it all holds together pretty well. It's much better about explaining things like why the Mother Boxes could bring Superman back to life, it gives the main villain more of a motivation, ties Cyborg into the plot more, sets up the Flash better and gives him more of a purpose in the final battle, etc.

You could tighten some things up with a re-write, but most of the scenes have a clear purpose. The Lois scene, for example, establishes that she's still graving, setting her up for her role in bringing Clark back to his senses.

28. - Top - End - #628
    Titan in the Playground

Just dropped four hours ago:

29. - Top - End - #629
    Ogre in the Playground

Just dropped four hours ago:
    My takeaway from this is that if they excised every utterance of ‘Mother Box’ the movie would only be 3 hours long.

30. - Top - End - #630
    Titan in the Playground

...and if they cut all the slo-mo, we'd be back to two hours.