New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Skyside 7: The Big Pizza in the Sky

[Klaus's Minibus]

Wait, really? Not actually helping them get out?
    June raises her arm as instructed. "The people who got me into this situation probably already left town," she informs him, since she was outside of town and then brought here and sold to that group.

She really does have to get back to where she was eventually: she stashed her tiara there, and she's afraid if she takes too long to get back, someone else might find it first.

Then again, she doesn't really have anywhere else to go right now. Besides the tiara, staying here isn't really that different from going back. Especially since she doesn't actually know the way back, and even if she gets back, she doesn't know where that is. The last time she was with someone who could help her know where anything was, she got abandoned, so...well, food and shelter and clothes and training and revenge aren't really all that important. But having someone around who can tell her where the heck she is and won't just abandon her when she desperately needs help...
    But she still wants to get that tiara back. It's pretty crucial.
    But but, in order to get it back, first she needs to find out how to get there from here. It's slightly better than just flying until she finds a coast and then swimming along the coast until she recognizes something.

"There's a m... another mermaid in there that I promised her I'd help her," she says, "but they did something different with her because she can't breathe air."

June exhales.
    "I'll help you, on the condition that I can still leave whenever I want." It definitely won't be before she has a good idea of where she is and where she wants to go and what this whole place is like.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

2. - Top - End - #302

[Klaus's Minibus]

"All the more reason to stay a while, then." Quire replies, continuing to take her measurements. "If I were to just drop you off outside of town now, it'd be straight into the hands of the people who got you into this mess, which would be pointless and stupid on my part. At least if I teach you to defend yourself first, you've got a fighting chance." He steps back a pace, framing June between his hands like he intended to make a portrait of her. "We'll help your friend out, too. Getting people out of cages is kind of part and parcel to crippling the slaver presence here. Besides, I'm not here to tell you what to do; just how to do it." Something of a hands-off approach, apparently.

"And yes, you can still leave whenever you see fit. I just got you out of a cage, I'm not interested in putting you in another one." He smiles. "All I ask in that regard is that you at least tell me before you leave. That way, if you disappear suddenly, I know for sure it's because you've been taken."
    Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? 'Course ya do!

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

*gushes unintelligibly over our cat, Sunshine*

[Nexus characters, grouped by setting:
    Ouroboros: here
    Maesda: here
    Others: here
    ]

3. - Top - End - #303

[Klaus's Minibus]

While June was convinced already, she doesn't want to admit that she was convinced that easily. "I find it unlikely you've ever taught a mermaid-" merbatmaidgirl, or whatever she is now "-especially one with wings, how to defend herself. So don't blame me if it's more difficult than you imagine." Besides, everything's pretty recent so she doesn't really have the muscle memory to match it all. She had legs not too long ago, after all. And normal fingers instead of claws. And her teeth feel weird in her mouth when she talks, and she's a little worried about biting her tongue.

"So I guess I'll trust you for now, that you have something in mind."

She still goes along with whatever he needs to get the measurements.
    "And don't worry, I'll make sure to give you my two-week's notice when the time comes."
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

4. - Top - End - #304

[Klaus's Minibus]

Quire smirks. "Maybe not. But there are still plenty of universal things I can show you." He pulls out a notebook and jots down her measurements, tapping his chin in thought, looking over her again, intently. If she weren't practically naked already, the gesture could be somewhat accurately described as dressing her down with his eyes. Finally, he jots down a couple more things and stands up. "Looking forward to working with you, June." He says, making his way back over to his Hotbox.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

5. - Top - End - #305
    Ogre in the Playground

Black Abyss Auto Shop

Krayger dutifully searches for the startup button for the shuttle.
    ”Well with all that stuff you threw on yourself a zombie could smell you from a mile away. But I guess you were coming in the front door anyway. If they have them out front then either they must get customers somehow or they don’t care how obvious a front it is.”
    He seems very unbothered by all of this. Maybe he’s just not afraid of zombies.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

6. - Top - End - #306

[Klaus's Minibus]

June can still feel the 'dressing down' part and it feels weird.
    While talking with him, she had almost forgotten how underdressed she was, because they were just talking like normal. Suddenly remembering, she goes to covering herself up, a little.

"Yeah, same. Looking forward to it," she says.

Since she can't really move around on her own easily, she ends up just talking with someone else who's near her.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

7. - Top - End - #307

Quote Originally Posted by Deathkeeper View Post
    Black Abyss Auto Shop

Krayger dutifully searches for the startup button for the shuttle.
    ”Well with all that stuff you threw on yourself a zombie could smell you from a mile away. But I guess you were coming in the front door anyway. If they have them out front then either they must get customers somehow or they don’t care how obvious a front it is.”
    He seems very unbothered by all of this. Maybe he’s just not afraid of zombies.
    [Black Abyss Auto Body Shop]

Rose takes a sniff of her own fingers and sighs. "You know, when the ads said this stuff was supposed to make you smell 'totally yummy', I didn't think this is what they meant." She stands up and helpfully nudges Krayger's finger over to the start button. "I've already sent a picture back to MERC. We'll wait a few minutes to see if anything else happens, then I guess we'll have to go."

Quote Originally Posted by 5a Violista View Post
    [Klaus's Minibus]

June can still feel the 'dressing down' part and it feels weird.
    While talking with him, she had almost forgotten how underdressed she was, because they were just talking like normal. Suddenly remembering, she goes to covering herself up, a little.

"Yeah, same. Looking forward to it," she says.

Since she can't really move around on her own easily, she ends up just talking with someone else who's near her.
    [Klaus's Minibus]

Klaus opens up his Hotbox and produces the proximity mines, along with a remote to arm and disarm them. He steps out of the bus and flags down the marshwiggle. "Take these. Set them up near the alleys into here. Let me know when you're done, and keep more than ten feet away from them afterwards." He hands him the mines. "There'll be some grub ready for you when you get back. Salmon sound good?"

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

8. - Top - End - #308
    Orc in the Playground

Klaus' Minibus

The marshwiggle takes the mines and goes to place them, but he's got something to say first. "I'll place these, because it's protecting these people- and me. But... I'm a pacifist. I won't use violence except to protect others." Not himself, which is one reason why he was caught.

The jackdaw returns, transforms back into a woman- completely undeterred by her nudity- and approaches Klaus. "They weren't able to follow our trail. We have gotten off clear, for now at least."
    The young man with short black hair will walk over. They look very similar; he adjusts his head and makes... jackdaw noises. She replies with similar sounds, but he'll back off after. "My clutch-mate says you do not intend to leave. This true?" The man now grows feathers, a beak extending from his face as his arms twist into wings, his feet turn into bird-talons, and a tail erupts from his rear as he gets smaller and turns into a jackdaw.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

9. - Top - End - #309

[Klaus's Minibus]

"Well, that's good, because these things will be doing all the violence for you." Klaus replies to the marshwiggle with a little smirk.

When the jackdaw lady returns, he offers her his suit jacket; even if being nude in mixed company didn't bother her per se, it still seemed polite to offer her some protection against the elements. "That's right." Klaus says to the other one. "There's still too much work to do. You can go whenever you wish, if you aren't worried about being tracked down again, but I'm not leaving just yet."

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

10. - Top - End - #310

[Klaus's Minibus]

June feels like she has no choice but to interject right here: "Saying it's the machine and not the person using the machine that's doing the violence is the same argument as saying it's the gun and not the shooter that shot someone," she says. Seems pretty obvious and basic to her.

That's basically all she can do, anyway, just say that. She kinda gets where the marshwiggle's coming from.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Orc in the Playground

Klaus' Minibus

"I am not a harmless pacifist. I will hurt people to protect others. Besides, these are traps. If I place these, whoever is hurt by them has walked into them. They are the ones responsible for that harm, not I." An unusual take on mines and other booby traps, but one which works for the marshwiggle.

The jackdaw turns down the shirt, folding her arms instead. It... doesn't really hide much, but she also doesn't have much to hide there. "We shall leave now, he and I. We know how they caught us before, and where. We need to warn the Clattering, protect our tribe and neighbours. I wish you luck, and... If the old crow gives me leave, I'll return with weapons, and possibly volunteers. My clutch-mate won't be one of them." 'Old crow' may be a description or a title for their leader, it's hard to say. Feathers start growing from their body after they've finished speaking as she begins the transformation back into jackdaw-shape. Klaus has a moment to say something before both birds fly off.

12. - Top - End - #312

[Klaus's Minibus]

Klaus silently rolls his eyes at June's comment. That was obvious, he was being facetious. The man had no small amount of contempt for pacifism, and it naturally had a bit of snark ready when confronted with it. That said, he was a little surprised to hear the marshwiggle's take on the subject; he was actually willing to take Klaus's sarcastic comment at face value, which was uncommon. He wasn't sure if that was a genuine perspective or just a convenient rationalization, but he'd take what he could get.

Klaus nods to the jackdaws as they get ready to leave. He didn't really have anything else to say to them, but he liked the prospect of having reinforcements in the near future. For one night's efforts, a band of thirteen plus extras was much better than he was expecting.

He's going to like it here.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

13. - Top - End - #313

[Klaus's Minibus]

Between everything she's done today, and getting around a lot of that warehouse and everything, June decides she's a little tired. Going to nap a bit, since it seems they're largely just waiting and there's not anything immediate she has to do for now.

She tries to find a position where she can be comfortable in the seat, wraps herself in her wings like a bat does, and closes her eyes.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

14. - Top - End - #314

Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Purple View Post
    SPAAAAAAAAACE!

The area around them is a plain corridor, with very little cover. There's some reliquaries against the walls that could provide some cover; the nearest is an antique grandfather clock with a pressed steel case and a secondary digital display above the pendulum. It looks bulky enough and sturdy enough to survive a beating, too- though the tech-priestess probably won't appreciate its use as a barricade. Alternately, a heavy weapons servitor is emerging from its hidden emplacement in the floor, a slack human face attached to a heavily armoured body mounting a pair of storm bolters. Unfortunately, the servitor is dead, so the guns cannot be used- but it can still serve as cover. It swivels around to face the wall.

Or she can use the Gunners, who are all dropping into a crouch and aiming their weaponry in the direction that Zee is pointing. They have thirteen assault rifles, an Imperial autogun, a laser rifle and a flamethrower. They've all shut their eyes for now and are looking away. The tech-priestess sheds her robe and hovers higher, until she's far overhead, pulling her arc pistol out and streaming a blast of binharic cant to inspire the machine-spirits used by all the humans in the corridor, and also Minerva's. She's joined by the servo-skull. Neither of the cyborgs bother closing their eyes; they can't, for one, and the enginseer is quickly cycling through all the options of her augmetic optics to determine the one best suited to seeing the genestealers coming.

Zee melts a hole in the wall. The lights flicker and the ship's artificial gravity lurches slightly before the power systems compensates, and on the other side of that wall and the one beyond that a genestealer collapses with a hole burnt through its chitin, cranium, and brain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebonack View Post
    [SPAAAAAAAAACE!]

"Bullseye," Zee mutters, half a smirk tugging at the corner of her mouth. She shoulders the weapon, turning her attention to the gunners taking up position. With how fast those monsters are ripping through the walls something that's simply hard isn't going to help very much. These people are going to need cover that will actually offer some amount of protection. What if she...

Hmm.

She...

Could reanimate the turret servitor.

That would pretty much without question upset people, though. And she still isn't sure how she feels about it. Gross and creepy, mostly?

No, making cover is a better use of her time.

Zee kneels down in front of the soldiers and places one hand against the metal floor, invoking the spheres of Matter and Shape. And speaking firmly aloud as she does, "The Emperor protects." The floor buckles and warps like a still pond disturbed by a stone as mass weaves itself together, a tightly bound barrier of layered metal wire spun under tremendous pressure. In that newly created wall slots have been set where the soldiers can take aim at the incoming monsters. The genestealers will have to cleave through one more wall to reach them.

But this wall will fray with explosive violence when the claws pierce it. The outer three most layers will expand into clouds of metal wire many times their current volume when cut into, possibly injuring the creatures while making it more difficult to reach the deeper layers. In innermost layer is simple solid metal, a final bulwark to keep the barrier from fraying toward the humans inside.

The 'psyker' makes a show of staggering under the effort after completing her work, then draws a tonfa in each hand from her hips, taking a deep breath.

Those who had been paying attention may note that she had drawn the things before hadn't she?
    SPAAAAAAAAACE!

Minerva hadn't actually been looking for cover. As far as she had been concerned these were close ranged xenos so there wouldn't be any projectile to seek cover from. Apparently they were tearing through the walls anyway so it probably wouldn't do much good other than providing the creatures cover.

However, it made it rather obvious where they were located.

She gestures for the rest of the group behind her to stop and then to take up firing positions at the new wall Zee just had made. Minerva herself was planning to provide some covering fire in case the creatures got the bright idea to try to get over the wall before the armsmen could reach it.

But that didn't mean she was going to stay back. She was just going to walk towards the wall rather than running, making sure her aim wasn't impeded too much once the xenos started attacking. This was more than worth sacrificing some of her limited supply of bolter ammo on.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ironsmith View Post

Rose takes a sniff of her own fingers and sighs. "You know, when the ads said this stuff was supposed to make you smell 'totally yummy', I didn't think this is what they meant." She stands up and helpfully nudges Krayger's finger over to the start button. "I've already sent a picture back to MERC. We'll wait a few minutes to see if anything else happens, then I guess we'll have to go."

Black Abyss Auto Body Shop

Krayger is very careful about buttons. He has to be with those huge three-fingered hands.
    "Well, wasn't the mission to check out if it had ties to KABAL? Did you get any evidence of that?" he asks. It seems like the rookie might be looking for an excuse to book it at the first sign of danger.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Orc in the Playground

Klaus' Minibus

The other merpeople also spend quite a bit of time resting. They can't get about easily in Skyside, and given that they've all been magically transformed into merpeople they probably won't survive long in Seaside either.

The jackdaws leave, and if she does return it might not be for a few days. The female didn't tell Klaus how far away their family is, after all, and organising a return might also prove tricky- especially if they come with weapons. Klaus saw that neither of them were able to take their clothes with them when they transformed, so if they do return with weaponry it'll have to be on foot.

The catgirl will take over the measurements of the other girls if Klaus is as thorough with them as he was with June. The girls were recently slaves, that level of attention would probably disconcert most of them.

SPAAAAAAAAACE!

The Gunners aren't from the 40k'verse, they're mercenaries from the Fallout one. They still appreciate the cover, and take up defensive postures readily and happily.

The genestealers rip through the wall, the smaller one leaving the hole first and into the wall of bullets and of flame, as the Gunners open up, firing as rapidly as they can. They slowly stop as they have to reload, however; despite using the same basic model of assault rifle, each actual weapon is slightly different, so there's a mix of magazines in use. The first genestealer is dead, a heavily perforated corpse that is also slightly on fire, but the Patriarch is unharmed; it stayed back and directed its underling to go first. Now it squeezes through the hole in the wall, and as the Gunners reload looks at them and roars. It puts its own psychic might into the roar and its gaze, a wave of psychic fear directed at the defenders. It's too much for the rookie, who drops the autogun taken from the chapel and runs down the corridor. She'll go past Minerva in her panic, so the Sororitas might be able to stop her or convince her to stay put- or punish her desertion, or just let her run until she's out of the tech-priestess' noospheric damping aura, the one that disabled most of the defences they've walked past.

17. - Top - End - #317
    Firbolg in the Playground

[Tempest Row]
    The beggars manage to catch Haia's attention. Human safety is, after all, a high priority for her, and some of the more assertive ones could be construed as giving commands. Since Hunter hadn't specifically told her not to help them, her programming demanded she do so. She walks up to one of them. "Hello. I heard you say you are hungry. How can I help?"
    The beggar gives Haia a dull look. "Thank you, miss."
    "Can you spare just a few coins to buy a meal with?"

Hunter has kept walking on, and is about to duck into a storefront.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

18. - Top - End - #318

Black Abyss Auto Body Shop

Krayger is very careful about buttons. He has to be with those huge three-fingered hands.
    "Well, wasn't the mission to check out if it had ties to KABAL? Did you get any evidence of that?" he asks. It seems like the rookie might be looking for an excuse to book it at the first sign of danger.

"Running out screaming didn't make it obvious enough?" Rose snarks. "No, I did not find any evidence of KABAL's connections here. I was a little too busy trying to stay alive." She sighs. "We'll come back again tomorrow. If we stick around too long after that bit of mortal terror, it'd look super suspicious, wouldn't you say?"

Klaus' Minibus

The other merpeople also spend quite a bit of time resting. They can't get about easily in Skyside, and given that they've all been magically transformed into merpeople they probably won't survive long in Seaside either.

The jackdaws leave, and if she does return it might not be for a few days. The female didn't tell Klaus how far away their family is, after all, and organising a return might also prove tricky- especially if they come with weapons. Klaus saw that neither of them were able to take their clothes with them when they transformed, so if they do return with weaponry it'll have to be on foot.

The catgirl will take over the measurements of the other girls if Klaus is as thorough with them as he was with June. The girls were recently slaves, that level of attention would probably disconcert most of them.
    [Klaus's Minibus]

Hm. That catgirl would be someone to keep an eye on. Taking the initiative was a good trait to have in a minion.

After everyone's done their bit, Klaus delivers as he promised; hot, fresh food from his Hotbox, though printing out enough for everyone takes some time and he has to break it up into shifts. The food will be of subpar quality, roughly comparable to what one could get at a gas station (he did, after all, only have the freeware version), but it still had to be better than gruel, and the fact that he was willing to sit and eat it with them probably wasn't going to hurt his reputation.

Quote Originally Posted by Recaiden View Post
    [Tempest Row]
    The beggar gives Haia a dull look. "Thank you, miss."
    "Can you spare just a few coins to buy a meal with?"

Hunter has kept walking on, and is about to duck into a storefront.

[Tempest Row]
    "I am sorry. I do not have any currency." Haia apologizes. "Is there any other way I could help you?" She looks around for another way to acquire food for the man. It's worth noting that she does not yet know whether theft is illegal here, or for that matter, what would be considered theft.
    Last edited by Ironsmith; 2021-07-06 at 08:14 PM.

19. - Top - End - #319
    Barbarian in the Playground

SPAAAAAAAAACE!

The wave of psychic terror hits Zee and finds-!

Nothing.

There's no soul to attack.

She levels her one tonfa at the incoming beast and lets loose with a salvo of weapons fire, bolts of plasma surrounding a tiny incandescent white core. The projectiles don't pack nearly the punch that her lance does, but she needs to reload the thing and she figured that building some cover for the gunners would be a better use of her time if the goal is to save lives.

Each bolt still packs significant destructive force.

A tiny mote of pure neutronium that shreds the air around it to create the plasma sheath. Despite being so small the projectile carries significant mass to augment its penetrating power.

Nothing quite like shooting dead stars at people you don't like.

"Oh shove it. We're not afraid of you," Zee challenges, the air around her swelling with Determination.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

20. - Top - End - #320

Klaus's Minibus

June is roused, when food is ready.

She eats some, even though it's not exactly the best food.
    But gas station food isn't that bad, she thinks.

She goes along with whatever his plan is.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Orc in the Playground

Klaus' Minibus

Most of the now-ex slaves are grateful to have food, especially anything better than the gruel they were given. There might be a few curious looks at his HotBox, but the technology is far beyond anything most of these individuals have seen before. The Guild usually takes captives from the smaller and more vulnerable communities in Outside, or prowl at the areas where vulnerable people tend to enter alone.

The catgirl's name is Fifi, the marshwiggle is Wallowglum. The others might be named as they get important, but Earl is currently short of time and there's a lot of them which haven't said anything yet.

22. - Top - End - #322

[Klaus's Minibus]

The rest of the night is spent fulfilling the rest of hie promise; clothes and weapons for everyone who had stayed. The weapons he gets printed off fairly early; they come out in parts, which he assembles into helium-propelled handguns, similar in mechanism to the rifle had had used in his rescue of the slaves. They were designed first and foremost for self-defense; each fits neatly under a coat or jacket, and have eight shots in them before their tanke and ammo reserves need to be replaced, which would be enough for a singular threat but not a protracted firefight. Each of them gets wrapped up in an outfit and gifted to one of the ex-slaves, with the exception of Wallowglum; Klaus wasn't sure he would even be willing to use the weapon, and pressing the matter was likely to annoy him.

Which left the matter of the outfits themselves. After retrieving the measurements from Fifi ("thank you Fifi, nice work"), Klaus spends an inordinately long time putting together their clothes, agonizing over color choices, fabrics, the level of detailing, and so on. Not that he minded; this was one of three great loves in his life, and the second most likely to earn him scorn back home. Here, he could afford to enjoy himself, and just as importantly, show that he was enjoying himself. Anyone checking in on this process would find him humming and mumbling to himself as he worked, showing a surprising amount of profficiency with a needle.

For the most part, Klaus gave each of them something which could be described as "formal business wear"; a three-piece suit for the men, and a blouse-skirt-overcoat combination for the women. Each of the coats has a holster sewn into the inside, so they would be able to carry their new weapons in concealment. The only major exception to this was the outfits for the mermaids, which more closely resembled ballgowns. Said gowns had their skirts set up such that they were held up by their own internal framework of wires and hoops, the bottom of which have some concealed ball-bearing wheels; the idea is that the mermaids would be able to pass for humans if the need arose. Unfortunately, the same could not be said for the mermen; he simply didn't have the means to make their tails less obvious, so he just gave them the top halves of the suit instead and quietly hoped that would be enough.

Which left June, who would be something of an exception to the exception. With all of the physical anomalies in her anatomy, he'd need to go over the finer points of her ensemble with her. He'll be finishing around the time she wakes up in the morning, having worked ceaselessly through the night to clothe his new allies.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

23. - Top - End - #323
    Ogre in the Playground

"Running out screaming didn't make it obvious enough?" Rose snarks. "No, I did not find any evidence of KABAL's connections here. I was a little too busy trying to stay alive." She sighs. "We'll come back again tomorrow. If we stick around too long after that bit of mortal terror, it'd look super suspicious, wouldn't you say?"
    Black Abyss Body Shop

Krayger shrugs.
    "Well, it's your job and there's no time limit. Seems like a lot over just one zombie, though." Krayger is kind of biased given the amount of undead he's slain over the course of his career. Zombies just don't really scare him anymore.
    In fact most things that can be defeated with a shotgun don't particularly scare him anymore.

24. - Top - End - #324

Klaus's Minibus

As it was June's first time not sleeping upside-down in several weeks, she's understandably a little disoriented when she wakes.

Also, she falls over, after overcorrecting for
    And with her wings wrapped around herself, she can't really move her arms to help herself get up.
    After spending a few seconds almost-panicking that she somehow managed to literally trap herself by just sleeping, she quickly decides that she'll do anything to get out of the unenviable position of being helpless even when waking up.

She tries using her shoulders to move around, and her tail pushes against the seat, she arcs her back, and finally...nothing useful yet. Her tail finds one of the seat supports, and wraps around it, discovering that her mertail is actually a good deal more flexible than she expected, being able to wrap around it. She pulls herself, and after just a little more work, manages to unwrap her wings enough to get herself upright.

Well, that was embarrassing.

She hopes nobody else saw that.

Looking around to check if anyone else was paying attention, she notices that others are getting clothes.
    She looks around some more, and spots their savior. Maybe he was waiting for her to get up before giving her hers.

She scoots closer, on the ground if necessary, to him. "Do you ever sleep, or are you one of those people who says he doesn't need it?" she asks.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

25. - Top - End - #325
    Orc in the Playground

Klaus' Minibus

All the guys and girls get clothing. Both the male merpeople are accepting of the clothes, even if everyone else gets more mobility than they do. Wallowglum doesn't look all too comfortable in a suit, even one tailored to his specific measurements. He'll also refuse any shoes he's given; his webbed feet are wide and tough, so he's used to being barefoot.

Fifi and Samantha, the squirrel-girl, are curious about how he's accommodated their tails, but generally everyone is quite pleased with their new clothing.

The driver in the back of the minibus may have seen June's awkwardness; nobody else has.

26. - Top - End - #326

Black Abyss Body Shop

Krayger shrugs.
    "Well, it's your job and there's no time limit. Seems like a lot over just one zombie, though." Krayger is kind of biased given the amount of undead he's slain over the course of his career. Zombies just don't really scare him anymore.
    In fact most things that can be defeated with a shotgun don't particularly scare him anymore.
    [Black Abyss Auto Shop]

Rose gives him a look somewhere between "slightly amused" and "very annoyed". "Listen, beefcake." She begins. "A big part of this mission is not letting on that we're up to anything. If I had a zombie lunge at me and stayed, I'd be even more out of place than I already am. And god forbid I actually do anything to defend myself in the event; most people that come through here aren't going to know how to do a suplex."

...Neither did she, but that was beside the point.

Quote Originally Posted by 5a Violista View Post
    Klaus's Minibus

As it was June's first time not sleeping upside-down in several weeks, she's understandably a little disoriented when she wakes.

Also, she falls over, after overcorrecting for
    And with her wings wrapped around herself, she can't really move her arms to help herself get up.
    After spending a few seconds almost-panicking that she somehow managed to literally trap herself by just sleeping, she quickly decides that she'll do anything to get out of the unenviable position of being helpless even when waking up.

She tries using her shoulders to move around, and her tail pushes against the seat, she arcs her back, and finally...nothing useful yet. Her tail finds one of the seat supports, and wraps around it, discovering that her mertail is actually a good deal more flexible than she expected, being able to wrap around it. She pulls herself, and after just a little more work, manages to unwrap her wings enough to get herself upright.

Well, that was embarrassing.

She hopes nobody else saw that.

Looking around to check if anyone else was paying attention, she notices that others are getting clothes.
    She looks around some more, and spots their savior. Maybe he was waiting for her to get up before giving her hers.

She scoots closer, on the ground if necessary, to him. "Do you ever sleep, or are you one of those people who says he doesn't need it?" she asks.
    Klaus' Minibus

All the guys and girls get clothing. Both the male merpeople are accepting of the clothes, even if everyone else gets more mobility than they do. Wallowglum doesn't look all too comfortable in a suit, even one tailored to his specific measurements. He'll also refuse any shoes he's given; his webbed feet are wide and tough, so he's used to being barefoot.

Fifi and Samantha, the squirrel-girl, are curious about how he's accommodated their tails, but generally everyone is quite pleased with their new clothing.

The driver in the back of the minibus may have seen June's awkwardness; nobody else has.
    [Klaus's Minibus]

"Yes." Quire replies unhelpfully to June's question. He's got a mug of hot coffee in his hands, having printed it off a few minutes ago, and takes a tentative sip of it now. "This helps." He adds, with a small, sardonic smile.

When Samantha and Fifi go to look at how the skirts accommodate their tails, they find Klaus has made their skirts such that they zip up from behind, with the zipper teeth coming up just a few inches shy of the waist. The end result is that there's a hole of adjustable size in the back of the skirt, potentially reaching all the way to the bottom if that's the most comfortable option for them. Klaus wasn't used to tailoring for someone with those sorts of needs, so he tried to throw in as much margin for error as possible without sacrificing functionality.

Which brings us back to June. Quire hands her the outfit he had created, or rather, wheels it over for her to see. Like with the other mermaids, he'd gone for a more ballgown-esque approach with a self-supporting skirt; seafoam green, with pleats running down the skirt on either side. He nudges said pleats aside, showing small gaps in the fabric where she could store a sidearm inconspicuously, despite the formal nature of the gown. The upper half of the dress has another anomaly; he'd left the back open and clasped on a knee-length cape at the shoulders, which had sheathes cut into it such that it could fit around her wings comfortably. The clasps themselves are an unintrusive black and allow the cape to be deattached quickly in the event she needs it.

Truthfully, it was a little more opulent than he would like. But in this line of work, coherence was the most important aspect of the costume, and given the choice of having her look out of place because she didn't belong in Skyside or having her look out of place because she was clearly hiding something, he found the former to be greatly preferable.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

27. - Top - End - #327

SPAAAAAAAAACE!

The Gunners aren't from the 40k'verse, they're mercenaries from the Fallout one. They still appreciate the cover, and take up defensive postures readily and happily.

The genestealers rip through the wall, the smaller one leaving the hole first and into the wall of bullets and of flame, as the Gunners open up, firing as rapidly as they can. They slowly stop as they have to reload, however; despite using the same basic model of assault rifle, each actual weapon is slightly different, so there's a mix of magazines in use. The first genestealer is dead, a heavily perforated corpse that is also slightly on fire, but the Patriarch is unharmed; it stayed back and directed its underling to go first. Now it squeezes through the hole in the wall, and as the Gunners reload looks at them and roars. It puts its own psychic might into the roar and its gaze, a wave of psychic fear directed at the defenders. It's too much for the rookie, who drops the autogun taken from the chapel and runs down the corridor. She'll go past Minerva in her panic, so the Sororitas might be able to stop her or convince her to stay put- or punish her desertion, or just let her run until she's out of the tech-priestess' noospheric damping aura, the one that disabled most of the defences they've walked past.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebonack View Post
    SPAAAAAAAAACE!

The wave of psychic terror hits Zee and finds-!

Nothing.

There's no soul to attack.

She levels her one tonfa at the incoming beast and lets loose with a salvo of weapons fire, bolts of plasma surrounding a tiny incandescent white core. The projectiles don't pack nearly the punch that her lance does, but she needs to reload the thing and she figured that building some cover for the gunners would be a better use of her time if the goal is to save lives.

Each bolt still packs significant destructive force.

A tiny mote of pure neutronium that shreds the air around it to create the plasma sheath. Despite being so small the projectile carries significant mass to augment its penetrating power.

Nothing quite like shooting dead stars at people you don't like.

"Oh shove it. We're not afraid of you," Zee challenges, the air around her swelling with Determination.
    SPAAAAAAAAACE!

The runner is fortunate Minerva isn't a commissar or they'd be dead right now. No, she's willing to give people a second chance.

Therefore, she's going to grab the runner and shove them right back where they came from. "FIGHT OR DIE!"

Then she's going to start firing her bolter, aiming towards the approaching genestealers. She's mostly aiming to keep them back but it's a bolter so its likely to still cause some pretty grevious injuries if they're hit.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Orc in the Playground

SPAAAAAAAACE!

The Determination swelling around Zee heartens the other Gunners, and combined with Minerva... being Minerva, the rookie Gunner also goes back to fighting, pulling her pistol out and loosing shots at the Patriarch. The solid-shot lacks the punch to get through the xenos alpha's thick chitin, muscle and bone, so it's still standing from those. Zee's own attack, as well as the bolter shells from Minerva's gun, are more effective; one of its lower arms is blasted off, and it's bleeding from several large wounds to its abdomen and chest.

It charges the wall and carves into it with razor-sharp claws and howls as the wall's ablative properties show themselves, wire lashing out at the monster and preventing it from cutting through the wall, so instead it gets as close ot the wall as possible, where the angle makes it hard to hit, and starts ripping into the floor, aiming to go under the wall that it can't go through.

29. - Top - End - #329
    Barbarian in the Playground

[SPAAAAAAAACE!]

"Everyone back up!" Zee yells as she scoots away from the wall, popping the back of her longarm open and letting it vent a jet of plasma for several seconds before snapping it shut again.

There!

Big gun is in the 'reloaded'.

Hopefully she'll have time to shoulder it for another shot by the time the big genestealer is done smashing up through the floor.

"Spread out! Make it harder for it to catch a bunch of people together."

Think tactically!

Be strong!

Don't fear!

Be glad there isn't a commissar around or he might be shooting someone to improve moral!
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Ogre in the Playground

[Black Abyss Auto Shop]

Rose gives him a look somewhere between "slightly amused" and "very annoyed". "Listen, beefcake." She begins. "A big part of this mission is not letting on that we're up to anything. If I had a zombie lunge at me and stayed, I'd be even more out of place than I already am. And god forbid I actually do anything to defend myself in the event; most people that come through here aren't going to know how to do a suplex."

...Neither did she, but that was beside the point.
    Black Abyss Body Shop

Krayger shrugs.
    "Well that's that, then. Though it's important to note that you're in Skyside. People around here would probably think it more odd that you're not carrying a weapon.
    If that's the angle you want to play, you can come back tomorrow. Unless you want to walk back in hanging over your dear bullfriend's shoulder playing the damsel calling for backup. I don't know if a zombie would fall for that, though."
    Krayger gestures at the massive revolver on his hip. Playing the outraged SO wouldn't be terribly far from his actual role here as babysitter.