New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Skyside 7

Smuggling Route Dropoff

"I'm not sure that'll be needed. Where I'm from, the only people are humans, and I guess the armoured bears. They don't have daemons. First person I met here was an elf, and she didn't have a daemon. So... I thought non-humans didn't, here, and the people who looked human without a daemon had nonhuman blood. Since you're human, and don't have a daemon, it might just be me who has one." It's... sort-of not, but I'm the only person who really gives daemons to their NPCs and lesser characters. "There's not going to be a census here, it's really not the kind of place anyone cares about that kinda thing. Nobody's asked about Svipul, so I doubt anyone will notice you don't have one. Or that I do, I guess." Particularly helped by Svipul tending to stay in the pouch or hood of his hoody, and not saying anything where most people can hear her.

Ziyad is slowing down now, and bringing the truck to a stop. "I was told to wait here for the gangsters. Do you want to hang out here, or leave now? It might get dangerous."
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

[Smuggling Route Dropoff]

"Oh," Seraphina says, a little disappointed. She had gotten used to and excited about the idea of claiming she was part-catgirl -mermaid -elf -cow goddess -deer centaur thingie. And now she doesn't have to.
    "...Maybe? I suppose."

Even though the truck stopped, Seraphina doesn't get out of it. "Might as well just stay here, right? At least for now," she says, before retroactively coming up with a reason for it. "I mean, might as well see this thing all the way through. Besides, if I leave and they're watching, they might think I'm trying to take away some key part or something. I can leave after they get what they want."
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Orc in the Playground

Smuggler's Route Dropoff --> Plugging Paperboy's Territory

Ziyad pulls up next to an old warehouse, and honks the horn three times. A big warehouse door rumbles as it is pulled open and three people walk out. The first is an orange-skinned gith with lank brown hair, carrying a strange silver sword that flows like liquid; he wears a chainmail hauberk and a steel helmet with a straight nasal bar. Next, a large orc with dark green skin, wearing a business suit under a bulletproof vest, holding an antique submachine gun, a battered homburg hat on his head. Finally, a human woman wearing a pair of jeans and a black raincoat, unarmed besides a pistol at her waist and carrying a briefcase. The three stop a short distance away, the orc pointing his gun at the vehicle. "That the printer we've heard about? Get out. Let me have a look at you." Ziyad shrugs and does so, though nobody seems to be paying much attention to Seraphina at the moment. "You're not the guy I made the order with. He OK?"
    "No. The convoy was ambushed. He didn't make it." He doesn't mention he was the only survivor; if they knew that, they'd probably just take it by force and leave him with nothing.
    "Pity. I liked him. This is yours." She puts the briefcase down, and kicks it across to Ziyad, before whistling. A group of more gangers, about half of them obviously non-human, exit the warehouse and start unloading the heavy boxes from the back of the pickup. "Careful with those! They'll make us a lot of money." She laughs at her joke, and the orc joins in. The gith continues to look threatening and holding his strange sword.

4. - Top - End - #34

[Plugging Paperboy's Territory]

Oh, wow. This is really...interesting?
    Well, everyone's got lots of weapons. Probably about what she should have expected.

Seraphina, since nobody particularly cares about her, opts to just stay in the the vehicle. If she leaves the truck, that'll force everyone to pay attention to her. It's not really a situation that she'd like to get in. As long as she just hangs out in the car, presumably they'll continue to ignore her. (So long as she doesn't to anything suspicious or sudden, obviously.)

So, she keeps on sitting there, looking at the people. It's Ziyad's business, so it's probably best that Seraphina doesn't speak up, either. She could say the wrong thing, which could also be bad.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Orc in the Playground

Plugging Paperboy's Territory

Pretty much everyone in Skyside carries a weapon, at least a knife but more usually a pistol. The gangers are mostly packing pistols, though doubtless there's other weapons for them nearby, should trouble turn up.

Ziyad opens the briefcase and smiles, before taking it back to the truck and putting it in the cab. It'll be a minute or so before the flatbed's unloaded, and the moment that happens Ziyad gets back into the cab and starts the vehicle. "Do you want to go to the docks or the market to be dropped off? Market might have food or stuff to buy, but the docks'll have somewhere for you to stay if you want to stick around for a while." Might not be a good idea to stay in one for too long, though. There's no laws ensuring hospitality is actually granted.

6. - Top - End - #36

[Plugging Paperboy's Territory]

Carrying a weapon does sound incredibly useful.
    She's glad it all turned out well, regardless.

Seraphina doesn't have to think hard about what's better. She already ate back at that ruined cabin, and you can survive like three days to a week or something without food and stuff, anyway. But shelter is something that you need pretty immediately. And she seriously doubts her ability to find her way back to where she was staying, given how off-course she ended up going.
    "The docks, please," she says. "No point in having food if there's nowhere to stay for the night." Especially if this place is as dangerous as it looks.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Orc in the Playground

Plugging Paperboys Territory --> Docks

Off Ziyad goes, keeping an eye out to make sure he's not followed. He's just made quite a bit of money, and it's far more portable wealth than the printing-press was, and he would prefer it if nobody followed him to smash him in the head and steal his briefcase. And the fact he's in the now-empty pickup won't divert their attention either, since vehicles are quite expensive to import to the city itself- it's why the others in the helicopter up to the city were a small three-wheeled lorry and a mechanical horse.

He'll eventually stop outside a small building that is advertised as a bed and breakfast, stopping for Seraphina to get out. "Here we go. There should be others around, but that's the first I've found. I'll see you around, yeah?"

8. - Top - End - #38

[Docks]

Seraphina gets out of the pickup.
    And she honestly expected a lot more flying cars. Like, for all the streets to be jam-packed with them. It seems like it'd be the perfect market for this kind of place, but it seems like that kind of stuff is probably reserved for the richer areas.

"Yeah! Thanks,' she says back to Ziyad. "Hopefully next time we meet, there won't be a robot-dinosaur around."
    She waves goodbye to him.

Then, she turns, looks at the bed-and-breakfast, and enters it to negotiate a room for at least one night.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Barbarian in the Playground

[SPAAAACE!]

Zee frowns at the dead servitor.

Hemoglobin is all bound up?

Like...

Carbon monoxide poisoning? Because that's what carbon monoxide does. Binds to hemoglobin and prevents it from binding oxygen. Or something more exotic?

"The people back in the hall were killed with some kind of chemical weapon. Binds to your blood and prevents it from taking up oxygen. You suffocate in spite of being able to breath," Zee reports. "I don't think there's any left in the air here, though. And it definitely isn't a tyranid weapon. It isn't organic. Unless they've taken to using simple chemical compounds to mess people up which I wouldn't put past them."

They're jerks like that.

"There isn't anyone else in here. Just a bunch of harmless insects."

Were the silverfish feasting on book glue?

That's something they really like. Basically any source of carbohydrates, really.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmćre Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

10. - Top - End - #40

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    [SPAAAAACE!]

After consluting my local WH40k expert it seems like sisters of battle don't actually have in-built dataslates in their helmets. Only space marine armour have that. Thus Minerva will instead request to be handed a dataslate from someone so she too can see the map.
    As they reach the chapel and Minerva gets a better look at it, she starts reciting a prayer for the priests soul. She hadn't expected to find any loyalists, alive or dead, onboard so it felt like something she had to do. They were all going to die one day so the best way to go was to die for the greatest cause, for the Emperor of Mankind.

It's a quick prayer, they couldn't waste much time, and once she's done she turns to Zee. "Any living xenos inside?" She inquires while gesturing at the chapel. "The relics inside could be valuable but we can't waste much time acquiring them." In case it was some kind of ambush.
    Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Purple View Post
    SPAAAAAAAACE!

Organic bits are not fine. There's nothing wrong that the servitor's own diagnostics can identify, but they are not fine; they're dead, of suffocation. There's traces of an artificial chemical in the lungs and blood of the servitor, binding with the red blood cells instead of oxygen. It died because it suffocated, all the while the servitor's diagnostic auspex were telling it there was plenty of breathable air and nothing to suffocate on. The chemical isn't in the air around them any more, and there's not much in the servitor- or any of the other bodies Zee might get the chance to study. It's not a Tyranid bioweapon, either; the chemical has been engineered in a lab, but it's not a protein that's easily replicable by an organic laboratory.

The tech-priest hands Minerva her data-slate; she's got one integrated with her brain, so she doesn't need it. The autorifle-wielding mutant has a massive wound in his shoulder and upper chest; the bolt shell didn't hit anything lethal... until it exploded. The lady was killed by a shot to the head, her face mostly gone as a result of the round that killed her. The Gunslinger takes the dead lady's pistol, tucking it under her jacket, whilst one of the Gunners takes the rifle and checks it over before rifling through the corpse's pockets for spare rounds. It's tossed to the Gunner's newest recruit, swapping out her double-barrelled shotgun for the rifle. A packet of lho sticks and a curved knife are also liberated from the dead mutant.

There's a nest of silverfish in the back of the chapel, where the priest kept his robes; other than that, nothing is alive in the chapel. "What relics here interest you, Sister? I did not think the vessel had anything especially notable amongst its Ecclesiastical relics."
    [SPAAAACE!]

"This man gave his life defending them, that makes them worthy."
    But if none of the others warn her of any potential dangers inside, she will step inside to quickly retrieve the relics the priest had been protecting. She only take as much as she can carry, prioritizing that which has an obvious connection to the church and are easy to carry. This includes any insignia the priest might have been carrying.

That done, she will hand the relics over to one of the soldiers. Some of them should already be carrying bags so it shouldn't be that difficult transporting them. "Now we continue." Then she will take the lead and move out. Though she will still rely on the tech-priest to guide them through this maze of a ship.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Orc in the Playground

SPAAAAACE!

Something more exotic- carbon monoxide would trigger the servitor's sensors and show up on the diagnostics, as well as trigger ship-board atmospheric alarms. Also, judging by the fact it killed cultists and servitors but not the silverfish or other space-vermin, it was somehow targeted to human genes, and set to decay after a period of time to prevent identification. So I guess rather than targeting haemoglobin, it attacked the lungs to the same effect.

Relics are gathered! There's an aquila on a chain about the priest's neck, the skulls of his predecessors, and a small reliquary containing a spent brass bolter casing, allegedly fired by a Space Marine and ornately decorated with engravings of various symbols, including a pair of crossed gladii under a jawless skull. There's a collection of religious books, but they are falling apart. The silverfish have, in fact, been eating them. The soldiers do have bags and webbing to put the relics in, though none look particularly happy at carrying a skull, even the odd ones- the one with an archaic augmetic installed in the left eyesocket, or the one that has been dipped in silver, or the one covered in religious scrimshaw. They're all quite delicate, even the youngest skull being decades old.

"Are you ready? We shouldn't dawdle. They don't know where we're going, but the longer we wait the more likely they are to get in our way." Even if the genestealers can't figure out why they're going where they're going, they could still work out the direction and get in front of them.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ghost in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhosia View Post
    Getting Help From a Private Fi

The knifefighter raises her eyebrows in surprise as the catgirl brings up the futuristic display so casually. Skyside has plenty of fancy and wild tech out there, but it doesn't make things like this any less of a surprise. "Oh. Uh, gotcha." She blinks. This is, um, a- a bit out of my field, but... maybe you can set up a camera or something in a spot like this? There's programs out there that can identify faces in videos, right?"
    [Cyberpawnk 2077]

"Hmm... a camera sounds like a good idea actually. If I can hide it just right... and let it give me an alert when it picks up her face we can follow her from there. I... I don't know why I never thought of doing something like that, thanks! She immediately pulled out a much more standard phone- albeit one with a very cracked screen- from her pocket and started to flick through it. "My phone camera should hopefully be enough for the job..." The other alternative was stealing one, and she didn't know if Fi would approve or not. "... This will be a while, do you wanna get food while I sort this stuff out? I can shout you a meal for your choosing to help me instead of, well, stabbing me. Um." The catgirl gave a short, awkward chuckle.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deathkeeper View Post
    Manor Lab

Anri decides not to comment on the fact that she can't actually breathe since Nora seems to have actually gotten serious. She plants herself next to the body. It's hard to say if she's relaxed. Posture is a curious thing for a robotic body.
    But she does focus. Focusing is something she's quite good at. Just waiting. Imagining breathing. At the very least this body does have eyelids. So she obeys the closed-eyes part of the instructions easily.
    Click clack. In and out. Metaphorically. Her ceramic lips click, mouthing something no one in the room knows or would likely recognize.
    Click clack. Click clack.
    Click.
    Clack.
    Anri's spirit furls and is pulled along easily. Her will and desires push the transfer home more than she would ever expect.
    She awakens to darkness; light as her eyes flutter open. The room is spinning. She gasps as her lungs engage and her biological systems connect to her mind. She can barely process it all, but the first sound she hears is her own laughter. She can't even sit up from the nausea but her arms hug around herself as she laughs giddily at the simple joy of breathing and laughing and having a diaphragm at all.
    At least until her vision clears enough to lay eyes on Nora.
    "Oh, heavens. Quick, do we need a doctor for our doctor?" she asks, genuine concern in her voice.
    Manor Lab

Norael seems to smile as her mouth is sealing shut, and she shakes her head. The shake is enough to make her a bit off balance, but she leans on the desk to keep herself upright. "Magic comes with a cost, Anri. Mine especially. Do not worry, it will heal in time." It seems she suspected the sort of damage that would be dealt to her as she's already reaching into her desk to pull out several packs of gauze and wipes to clean the blood off herself. "And before we worry overly much about myself, please, lets make sure that you're feeling as if you should. The laughter sounded positive." She adds as she taps a tablet to pull up vitals and to make notes. As an afterthought, she nudges an empty wastebasket over towards Anri with her foot. In case the nausea gets to be too much. "I know we'll be wishing you out of that body soon enough, but I would like to make sure that the procedure was a complete success first."

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Manor Lab

Anri relaxes back into the seat. She takes a good few seconds to breathe.
    ”I feel well enough. A little sick, but I’m getting used to having blood and hormones and such. I need some time to breathe but Ah, I think I’m doing alright.”
    She feels strange. Much like how she did before the curse, really. Flesh and blood but still a good portion of machine whirring. Not ideal, but so so much better.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

15. - Top - End - #45
    Orc in the Playground

Tempest Row Nearly Free Clinic for the Gainfully Employed

Once again, this poor and mostly-charity run community hospital, over subscribed, understaffed and with second-hand equipment, is threatened by supervillainy. Liam- I mean, the mysterious and unidentified supervillain who tried to rob the place several years ago, has returned. He's a dark-skinned and hairless man wearing a plastic clown mask and a loop of LEDs behind his ears and over the top of his head. He's also wearing a dirty and torn white laboratory coat, with a large red rucksack on his back, antennae and wires protruding from it. Resting on his shoulder is a mechanical parrot, with multicoloured feathers from a household duster crudely taped onto its metal shell, and he carries a black rucksack. He's distorted by a flickering field of energy projected from the device within the backpack behind him, and blasting away with a weapon based on a cheap plastic water pistol. The squirt-gun provides the grip and trigger, but the internal mechanism has been removed and part of the clear blue plastic of the barrel has been cut away, allowing the innards to be replaced by a mass of wires, button-cell batteries and an antique vacuum tube. His weapon is firing blasts of yellow-orange energy that hit the edge of his force-shield and refract away, losing all accuracy as they do. They've drilled shallow holes in the walls of the clinic's foyer, as well as damaging the furniture he hits with it, but mostly he's aiming up and out of a window now at his opponent.

His opponent is a flashy woman in a nearly skin tight costume of white lycra, with glowing blue lines running across her torso and down her arms and legs, all meeting and connected at a rather small, streamlined white plastic shell on her back, with a small window that glows the same blue as the lines. Connected to the lines are her boots, rather chunky and not quite as elegant or streamlined as the rest of her, resembling nothing so much as cut-down wellies, if wellies had two blue glowing spots in the sole, apparently linked to her current position hovering three metres off the ground as she dodges the scruffier scientist's energy beams. She wears a pair of white plastic bracers, and with her hands raised she's able to blast back at the other scientist with blue energy beams that cut into whatever they hit. She's also wearing a blank white plastic mask with large blue-glowing goggles built into it, and her hair is long and blue, similar in shade to the light she's firing from her wrists and that glows from all her technology. Several white plastic boxes are attached to her waist, at what could be an integrated belt. Her energy beams are partly blocked by the energy shield, but they're also deflected away from her opponent, and she's not very accurate since she's also constantly adjusting her height and position in the air, and occasionally dodging if a blast from the scruffier science-super's pistol looks like it's getting too close.

Neither of the two are very accurate with their weaponry, causing a fair amount of collateral damage- mostly to the clinic, which has had its windows blown out, and the façade is scored and pitted with scars from the energy weapons both are using. There's people hiding and running, too, some of which have been hit by one of the battling technicians. The clinic's bouncer lies dead, slumped against the counter with a small hole burnt into his head, right between his eyes, the studded club he carried just out of his reach.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deathkeeper View Post
    Manor Lab

Anri relaxes back into the seat. She takes a good few seconds to breathe.
    ”I feel well enough. A little sick, but I’m getting used to having blood and hormones and such. I need some time to breathe but Ah, I think I’m doing alright.”
    She feels strange. Much like how she did before the curse, really. Flesh and blood but still a good portion of machine whirring. Not ideal, but so so much better.
    Manor Lab

Norael gives a small nod before reaching into a drawer, pulling out something from a little stash for such an occasion. A chocolate bar and a small bottle of water, both of which get offered to Anri. "Care to give your tastebuds a go before we proceed any further? I figure if nothing else, might as well enjoy it before taking it another step." She points out. Her mouth finally fully seals and the wounds upon her arms begin knitting as well. "Don't know how a djinn body works, but at least with this I imagine you'll want to savor something you haven't had for a long while." For as much as she got carried away, Norael at least thought a little ahead.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

Manor Lab

Anri smiles.
    "Well, we'll find out if this mechanical head you procured can do things just as well." she says, sitting up a little as she gingerly takes a long pull of the water. Slowly she breaks off a piece of the chocolate and eats it. She barely chews and mostly just lets it melt. She lays back in the bed a long while, smiling intently.
    "Alright, Nora. Thank you for your consideration. You didn't have to give me that. And everything works, just as you promised." she says with a nod. "If you want anything, I'm ready."
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

18. - Top - End - #48

Tempest Row Nearly Free Clinic for the Gainfully Employed

Seraphina, as it happens, is still in Skyside and nearby when yet another disaster happens.

She first notices it when an energy blast hits the wall just over head, down the street from the clinic.

She stops to see what's going on.

The cloak-wearing woman looks first to see what's going on.

One of the first things she sees is someone who had been hit in the hip by an energy blast. Of course, they've fallen and are no longer able to flee. In fact, they're very much in danger of being trampled if they remain there.
    Seraphina runs up to that person, asks if they're alright, and tries to help them up to escape.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Skyside 7: The Big Pizza in the Sky

[SPAAAAACE!]

Not killing the silver fish wouldn't be TOO much of a shock assuming oxygen carrying molecules are sufficiently different.

Regardless!

Zee is now on the lookout for unusual chemical compounds in the air.

"If you guys have respirators or air purifiers it might be a good idea to have them on just in case our pals decide to dump their asphyxiant into the air again," she warns.

She isn't personally very concerned about it.

After all, her biology is purely optional.

She wears this shape because she's fond of it and it really helps to prevent people from freaking out at the sight of her. Zee is one hundred percent certain that Minerva would shoot her a bunch of times without giving her the chance to explain the very important distinction between herself and daemons.

That said!

Forward!

Mostly because she isn't going to bother with the relics. Those are important to other people who aren't her.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmćre Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Orc in the Playground

Nearly Free Clinic

The person is pretty clearly not alright, the injury to the hip bleeding quite profusely though it seems to have been a glancing hit. They're fortunately a rather small individual, a half-elf with pale blue skin and dark green hair, small and non-functional gills flapping in their neck. Their injury means they can't put any weight through their leg, and can't walk or run- and if they tried hopping, it'd only be a matter of time before they are knocked over again and trampled.

A yellow-orange blast, deflected by the energy shield, is headed towards Seraphina. If it hits, the energy is sharp light; rather than burning a hole and cauterising it, like a laser would, it slashes and penetrates without heat.

21. - Top - End - #51

[Nearly Free Clinic]

If Seraphina were a man, the energy blast would have completely missed her. As it is, it doesn't hit anywhere that has important organs or bones or joints and so adrenaline should cover for it. Sure, there's a 50-50 chance she'll have some abdominal injuries as a result, but at least there's no internal bleeding.

The half-elf definitely needs help, though.

Seraphina says, through gritted teeth, "Hey, let's get you up." She crouches down and tries to lift the half-elf up. That way, even hopping, the half-elf could use Seraphina as a crutch.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Orc in the Playground

Nearly Free Clinic

The half-elf is helped up, leaning against Seraphina as they move away from the battling super-engineers. Not entirely sure where Seraphina was hit by that blast of sharp light, or how much it will hinder her get away given she's helping the half-elf that can't walk very well. "Thank you. I... I really thought I was about to die. Here, this way- there's an alleyway, we should be sheltered there." The half-elf points, and it is indeed an alleyway a short distance away. Several other people are also hiding there, including an elderly one-eyed gnome in bloodstained blue scrubs. The gnome is performing some emergency surgery on a red-haired Kalish, which probably explains the blood.

23. - Top - End - #53

[Nearly Free Clinic]

Through a bizarre combination of luck and un-luck, Seraphina got hit in one of the few places where she could get a chest-wound and not hit anything that is necessary for herself. Just fatty tissue and maybe some milk ducts. No muscles or structural parts, so it doesn't significantly impede her ability to help the half-elf. She's torn between feeling a lot of pain and a lot of numbness, so.

"Y-yeah, no problem," the cloaked woman says, going towards the alleyway. She bites her lip hard to distract herself. "Just happened to be nearby. 'M sure you would've done the same if the roles were swapped."

Before giving the half-elf time to confirm or deny the assumption, Seraphina says, "Okay, nearly there. I'm going to help you down then, okay?" Once they get to the relative safety of the alley, she helps the half-elf down again.

Which is completely necessary, because it lets Seraphina handle her own injury. She stands back up, and bunches up her undershirt to her wound. Then using up her left hand, she applies lots of pressure and holds it in place.
    "Okay...triage..." she says. Triage, triage, triage. What needs to be done, and what can't be done?
    She glances at the gnome. "What do you need?" Seraphina asks, directing her question towards the gnome. She, then, looks back at the disaster zone of a street, looking if there's anyone else who (1) can't get away on their own, (2) will die if they stay as-is, but also, most importantly, (3) will probably survive if they can get out of there.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Orc in the Playground

Nearly Free Clinic

"Ideally, I need this guy back in the clinic. Since that's not happening... uh, painkillers, antiseptic, more surgical thread and a pay rise. You got any medical knowledge or experience?" The gnome doesn't even look up, keeping at his work at patching the grimacing Kalish's injuries- the alien has been hit in the head, an energy blast taking their right eye.

Most of the people from the clinic have either fled or are sheltering inside it, but there's a few other injured people hiding and taking shelter in the road nearby. A human ganger, barely out of his teens, is crouched behind an A-board sign for a café, not too far from the alleyway. He's wearing a pair of jeans and a purple shirt and yellow scarf, though he's using the scarf as a crude tourniquet on his arm. He probably could get out of there on his own, and he's got a gun too- a pistol with a magazine in the grip that loads into a two-chambered cylinder to feed bullets into the barrel.

A small girl, six or seven by the looks, is sobbing quietly in the middle of the road, her mother slumped over her. The mother lives, but has been shot through the leg, and can't move on her own. The child won't leave her mother.

25. - Top - End - #55

[Nearly Free Clinic]

"Um...first aid, sutures, prosthetics," Seraphina says, listing off all her relevant knowledge and experience. There is some other stuff, too, but it's completely irrelevant to the situation.

She figures out the situation on the street. There's nothing she can do to help the teenager that he can't do himself, so he's pretty low-priority right now. The mother and the girl, though...by helping one person, she can get two people out of there. If they both stay there then it'll get worse. Prime candidates for helping.

Painkillers. Antiseptic. Surgical thread. Got it. "I'll bring one more person over here, and then I'll go ask about your pay raise." Gotta keep some levity, right?

After scrunching up more undershirt, redoubling her pressure on her chest, and taking a deep breath, she sprints out towards the mother and the child.

"Sorry, you'll need to walk," she informs the mother as she gets close. She goes to the left side of the mother, since Seraphina's right arm is the only one free. "Can you put an arm around me?" She crouches down, so that she can put her own arm around the woman to help her stand.

If the woman gives an affirmative, she tries to stand them both up together, and taps the crying child with her left hand (only briefly removing the pressure on her own wound), and points towards the alley. "Can you go ask my friends if there's space for your mom?" Obviously there is, but getting the kid out of the street as fast as possible will be the best for both the kid and the mother.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Orc in the Playground

Nearly Free Clinic

"Two of those are handy. Prosthetics less so, right now." The Kalish screams a little as the gnome finishes his task, and moves on to the half-elf's leg. The gnurse is out of anaesthetic, even local stuff, so the half-elf is left wincing as the injury is washed and stitched.

The mother is helped up, and smiles at her daughter. "Yes, off you go. Hurry, and keep an eye out. Thank you, miss." She's quite slow as a result of her leg wound, and is bleeding badly. She'll go as fast as she can, however, as her daughter runs toward the alleyway and asks. She's quickly pulled into the alleyway by the Kalish.

The ganger pops out of his cover and fires his gun at the flying lady, winging her slightly. One of the bullets grazed her leg; quite impressive, given she's bobbing and weaving quite a bit to avoid the attacks of the supervillain in the clinic. She responds by flying up a little further, out of the crude tinker's sight, and turning to blast the sign and the ganger behind it with both hands. Her blasts aren't sharp light, behaving like traditional lasers, and the wooden sign won't survive the sustained fire for long- but the ganger can't move away, since it's the only cover he's got.

The villain inside the clinic whilst this is going on walks deeper into the building, whistling tunelessly to himself.

27. - Top - End - #57

[Nearly Free Clinic]

Seraphina purses her lips when thanked, and doesn't respond to it. Being thanked is nice, but. . .
    Anyway.

She helps the mother over to the alley, glad that the alien(?) helped out with the daughter. Seraphina helps the mother to the alley, and helps her down gently.
    Then, she checks her wound again...her shirt and undershirt are pretty blood-soaked, but her cloak is still mostly decent. Not feeling lightheaded yet, so she'll be fine.

Painkillers. Antiseptic. Surgical thread, she repeats in her head. "Okay." Okay. Okay. Okay okay okay. "If I can't find that pay raise, I hope you'll settle for meds." She's really not ready for this and definitely doesn't want to run in to an active shootout with sci-fi bullets flying around, but people definitely need it. If he was short on surgical thread before, he'll definitely run out before he can finish helping the mother, and she's bleeding pretty badly. She's not really ready to run in yet, but delaying any longer would just make her lose the nerve that she spent the last while building up.

Seraphina takes a sharp intake of breath, and goes out of the alley, running to the clinic. Not sprinting; she needs to keep a little more aware and ready to react. She gives the teenager and the flying lady as wide a berth as she can on her way to the clinic, planning where she's most likely to find the needed things. This is more of a clinic than a huge hospital, so. . .painkillers. Probably behind the counter at the entrance, or in the pharmacy section. Antiseptic, the same. Surgical thread would be in...storage? Or a doctor's-only place, which should also have the other two also.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Orc in the Playground

Nearly Free Clinic

It's quite a large clinic, with several back rooms and a small ward for anyone who might need to stay overnight. Avoiding the fire of the flying lady and the ganger is pretty easy, given one's shooting mostly down and the other mostly up- there's ricochets and wild shots, but mostly directed either into the sky or the ground.

Seraphina can get inside quite easily. There's more people hiding in the waiting room, mostly patients or visitors too scared to move. There's a desk at the back with two receptionists hiding behind it, both young humans. They've got quite a few pills and other medicine there, but likely not the kind of thing the gnurse wants most. Another door leads to the small ward, which has three beds, two of which are empty. The third has a doctor in blue scrubs hiding underneath it. From there, there's three more doors, one marked WC, one marked with STORAGE and the third, marked with the radiation symbol, is the one the supervillain is currently interested in. He's ignoring everything else, and has put his gun down on a surgical trolley nearby as he struggles to pull the door open. Whilst it does have a handle, it's marked with the word 'PUSH', so pulling will take a while.

29. - Top - End - #59

[Nearly free Clinic]

Seraphina is starting to feel a little light-headed and a little thirsty.

After moving away from the doorway, she takes a moment to see what's up.
    That guy over there might be the other gunman.

She goes over to the desk, since that was the first place she expected to look anyway, and it doesn't lead her near that guy.

She leans over the desk to see if she can find antiseptics or the right painkillers.

Instead of finding them, she notices the receptionists.

Seraphina whispers, "Hey, um...there's a doctor out there treating some victims. He's short, and..." she gives a one-sentence description of the gnurse. "Needs surgical thread, painkillers, antisceptic."

She glances back around the room to make sure the shooter was still focused over there, then goes back to whispering. "Those are in storage room?"
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Orc in the Playground

Nearly Free Clinic

"That... Uh. Not our doctor, that's Nurse Stephun. I got some wound clean spray here. No surgical thread, though. We're out. Got a roll of fishing line, though, that should do. And... painkillers." The receptionist has a quick rummage, finding a spray bottle of wound-cleansing antiseptic, a small roll of fishing line and a small jar of headache pills. Stronger painkillers might be more useful, but aren't kept behind the counter- or if they are, they've run out.

The supervillain who had been fighting picks their gun up again, shakes it, and shoots at the door, blasting off the hinges and the lock and then squealing as the door falls towards them. It's not heavy enough to hurt, but he has now made it into the room marked with the radiation symbol and heads inside. He pulls out a small spanner and starts to work on dismantling a large machine within that room.

The sound of gunfire from outside ends, and the flying lady lands cautiously, checking on the ganger to ensure he's no longer a threat.