New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 38 of 50 FirstFirst ... 13282930313233343536373839404142434445464748 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,140 of 1475
  1. - Top - End - #1111
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Skyside 7: The Big Pizza in the Sky

Quote Originally Posted by Reinholdt View Post
    [Searching for Truth]

Ilpholin really does want to catch Anika. The nymph is floating above the forcefield by necessity of her bike, so she has no proof that it didn't have some nasty effect upon touch. But Anika's form is mighty and Ilpholin's position precarious. If she caught Anika, they both would surely find out any offensive measures the shield possesses.

So she lets out a sigh of relief as Anika lands without ill effect. She ends up shaking her head with a coy smile. "You're at least twice as cool as I am. I just stood up a really cute guy and his horny friends." Much regret.

Ilpholin swings her attention back to focus on the issue at hand. Or below foot. "I was hoping Tellysandra would save this for further in. Something this big is a flashy and effective deterrent but it's gotta be drawing a ton of power to be maintained at this size. Makes it easier to overload and break. I can get some tools for just that, but it'll probably take Mister Squiggles a week to prepare for us." And maybe some modifications to the bike, which is even more time.

"Or we could try to sneak in somehow," Ilpholin says, pointing at the ship that was approaching in the distance.
    [Searching for Truth]

It looks like Anika was about to suggest something violent (likely something akin to 'smashing') judging by her body language when her attention is drawn to the ship Ilpholin points out. "Sneaking, eh? We can do that! So we just... move in when the ship goes through?" The druid inquires.

However, if Ipholin is paying any attention to what's going on underneath the forcefield she can see that there's people gathering by what appears to be a small shuttle of some sort. While some of them are armed they don't appear to be in any hurry so its unlikely they're preparing this ship in reaction to Anika and Ilpholin landing on the field. They might just be going out to meet the incoming transportation ship.

[Mina's Manor]

The font door bell suddenly calls out and if there are any cameras or a view of the front door from a window they can see a shadowy figure carry a dark green umbrella standing by it, waiting. As they're pulling the umbrella so close its hard to make out much of them besides the fact they at first glance appear to be human or at least human-ish. Could as well be an elf or any other smaller humanoid.

2. - Top - End - #1112

Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Purple View Post
    Alecto's Office

"A... Galatea? A statue, animated through love, or some other thing?" Given he's named his eldest daughter Alecto, Mr. Gilderman's knowledge of Greek mythology is perhaps to be expected. When/if told it's a robot, he'll hiss and grimace. "The Guild does not like robots. They can't be motivated by pain, most of the time, and they cut into our business in an unfortunate way. Will you be expecting it back?" Given that he expected something along the lines of an email address or telephone number, he's assuming Klaus will remote-control the robot or something, and that some form of wireless communication will be used. In which case it may very well be a disposable robot.
    [Alecto's Office]

"Close." Klaus concedes. "The original Galatea was a program developed by the founder of... well, a company from my world. The guy got unhealthily attached and kept adding more personality subroutines to it. Eventually passed the Turing test, got a snazzy hologram attached to it, and was sold commercially."

"Not to worry." Klaus holds up his hands, indicating a circular shape about the size of a hockey puck. "Robot itself is that big, has no limbs, and can't do much other than talk to you. If you decide to keep it, no skin off my nose."

Warehouse

Hana's screaming is quickly joined by Abby's voice, as she calls out to get someone to stop hurting her and leave her alone, adding to Hana that she's there and not alone and it's going to be OK. She cuts off suddenly and mid-word. Seconds later, somebody comes up and reaches through the bars of the cell door behind Hana and presses a sticky note between her shoulder blades. Drawn on the sticky note is a magical glyph of silence; Hana can still scream, and maybe even still get hoarse from it. But she's no longer capable of producing any sound. If she were to get out of the cell it'd be quite a dangerous piece of magic for her to possess... But that would require her to turn around and get out of the cell, which is going to be difficult. They've done the same to Abby, too.
    [Warehouse]

Oh, that made it so much worse. Hana already hated being locked in such a small container, now she had to reckon with the fact that she couldn't even hear herself.

She couldn't take it. Something had to give.

Fortunately, her willingness to keep her hands intact gave out before her general sanity, and without Abbi there to stop her this time, she'll pull her hands out of her shredders. At least nobody would hear the accompanying screams.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathkeeper View Post
    Mina's Manor

Mina accepts the practice implement.
    "Only what you taught me before. Which was mostly hand to hand basics than working with you." she says this without any judgement. Of course Sai taught her the basics before sai fighting. You don't start school in third grade.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    [Mina's Manor]

The font door bell suddenly calls out and if there are any cameras or a view of the front door from a window they can see a shadowy figure carry a dark green umbrella standing by it, waiting. As they're pulling the umbrella so close its hard to make out much of them besides the fact they at first glance appear to be human or at least human-ish. Could as well be an elf or any other smaller humanoid.
    [Mina's Manor]

Sai nods. "I was wondering if that Emily girl managed to teach you anything. Very well. Now, the first thing you need to know is-"

ding-DONG

"...Really?" Sai sighs and starts shuffling toward the dojo's exit. "I'll get it. For now, just start limbering up." Sai being Sai, he could be half an hour or more answering the door. Plenty of time to stretch.
    Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? 'Course ya do!

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

*gushes unintelligibly over our cat, Sunshine*

[Nexus characters, grouped by setting:
    Ouroboros: here
    Maesda: here
    Others: here
    ]

3. - Top - End - #1113
    Ogre in the Playground

Mina's Manor

Mina nods, but she does after a moment quietly go after Sai. Mostly because she doesn't trust something to not go badly for him at this point. It's been a rough day for Sai, it seems from her perspective.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

4. - Top - End - #1114
    Orc in the Playground

Alecto's Office

"No, I'm just thinking somebody here might destroy it when they find out what it is. I'll try to stop that from happening, but I can make no guarantees." Hopefully the drone will get to the office without being destroyed first. "But for now, I need to make some calls and set things up. Alecto, honey, could you show this gentleman back downstairs? Jasper, you too. Buffy, a glass of water." Jasper and Alecto both will leave the room, taking Korvin with them. Alecto's mother also leaves, but heads somewhere else where a tap can be heard running.

Back downstairs, the shop- GIRLS- remains as Klaus found it earlier, with cages of nearly-naked young humanoid women throughout, many of whom watch Klaus and the others nervously. At the counter, however, there's two people who weren't here earlier. The first is an ugly catgirl, completely hairless with triangular ears and loose, wrinkled skin; it's hard to say how old she is. Her face is catlike, with large yellow eyes, and she's wearing a loose, hooded black robe. One of her hands is in her pocket, the other grips a chain going to the wrists of a slender young woman. The captive has pale skin, dark brown eyes and pale brown hair marked with darker bits. There's a darker patch of colour about her eyes, and she's got a tail that starts off pale brown but is black at the end and her ears are round and nearly- but not quite- human in shape. The meerkat-girl is about twenty, and looks worried and vulnerable, in her trainers and bikini bottoms. "Look, see? She's worth money. You can make a profit, I just need money first. Look, the first meerkat to go through the Doctor's process. So pay me fair, and I'll buy another. Human, young. No more than twenty-five."
    "No, I can't do that. We don't buy here, except in exceptional circumstances. Go outside, to the booth near security opposite the leatherworker. They'll buy her there, and give you actual money. Then you come here, and use that money- if there's enough of it- to replace her for your doctor. OK? There's a process, please follow it." The speaker sounds frustrated, like they've been arguing this point for a while.

Warehouse

That's unfortunate, as it's going to be about half an hour before anyone comes by to check on her. The shredders will cause a lot of damage to her wrists and hands if she manages to get them off, or even if she fails. And Abby can't call for help either, as she's got a silence glyph post-it note stuck to her chest just above her dots, though she's not positioned where she can see into Hana's cage at what she's doing.

The person who comes to have a look opens the cell and pulls Hana out, looking her over and nodding to herself. They're a massive, muscular Amazon, two and a half metres tall, with deep red skin and short crimson hair. Her body's covered in scars, and her left eye is concealed behind an eye patch. Her right eye is piercing green. She wears a padded tunic with a breastplate over the top and an armoured kilt about her legs. Accompanying her are several others- a skinny and nervous-looking Vedalken in a tailored pinstripe business suit, playing with a very large ring of keys. A one-legged human male with dark skin and hair, a black dragonbone prosthesis strapped to their right knee, wearing a loincloth of human leather and carrying a trident and a dagger. A blind female elf with silver hair and bone-white skin elf wearing a diaphanous dark grey blouse and a matching loincloth, barely hiding anything, a red ribbon tied over her eyesockets and holding an urumi. An orc wearing mismatched armour including cricket shin pads, a modern bulletproof vest, and bits of steel, bronze, bone and wood, only a thumb remaining of their left hand, with a katar strapped to that hand and holding a chain to which several figures in sandals and shapeless white robes are attached.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

5. - Top - End - #1115

Mina's Manor

By the time Sai opens the door, the figure is gone.

Yet before he closes it, likely assuming it was a prank, the person is there again. Having appeared out of thin air. Their exact identity is still impossible to tell as the shadow of the umbrella seem to extend over them in a way that shouldn't be possible. The darkness only giving way to the outlines of two green eyes and nothing else of their facial features.

But whatever air of mystery this gave the visitor it's quickly broken along with the silence. "I've been waiting here forever! In the rain! Geez!" She stomps in frustration and then an accusing finger emerges from the darkness and points at Sai. "You are way too old and it ain't my fault!" She figure leans in, the umbrella coming with her, and looks around. "Someone messed with what I was doing and I have been standing here patiently to find out who or what!"

6. - Top - End - #1116

Mina's Manor

Mina nods, but she does after a moment quietly go after Sai. Mostly because she doesn't trust something to not go badly for him at this point. It's been a rough day for Sai, it seems from her perspective.
    Mina's Manor

By the time Sai opens the door, the figure is gone.

Yet before he closes it, likely assuming it was a prank, the person is there again. Having appeared out of thin air. Their exact identity is still impossible to tell as the shadow of the umbrella seem to extend over them in a way that shouldn't be possible. The darkness only giving way to the outlines of two green eyes and nothing else of their facial features.

But whatever air of mystery this gave the visitor it's quickly broken along with the silence. "I've been waiting here forever! In the rain! Geez!" She stomps in frustration and then an accusing finger emerges from the darkness and points at Sai. "You are way too old and it ain't my fault!" She figure leans in, the umbrella coming with her, and looks around. "Someone messed with what I was doing and I have been standing here patiently to find out who or what!"
    [Mina's Manor]

"Yes? Who is it?" Sai asks the empty air as he opens the door.

...Huh. He could have sworn there was someone out here. Maybe his old ears are playing tricks on-

Sai jumps as the figure reintroduces herself, one of his three-fingered hands going over his heart. Gah! Doesn't she know frightening an old man like that is dangerous?

But then she opens her mouth to speak, and Sai concludes that no, she doesn’t know that. She sounds like a petulant child, and probably isn't much more knowledgeable than one. Damn kids grow up so fast these days.

"(Patiently is not the descriptor I would use.)" He mumbles to himself. "Who are you and what business do you have here?"

Alecto's Office

"No, I'm just thinking somebody here might destroy it when they find out what it is. I'll try to stop that from happening, but I can make no guarantees." Hopefully the drone will get to the office without being destroyed first. "But for now, I need to make some calls and set things up. Alecto, honey, could you show this gentleman back downstairs? Jasper, you too. Buffy, a glass of water." Jasper and Alecto both will leave the room, taking Korvin with them. Alecto's mother also leaves, but heads somewhere else where a tap can be heard running.

Back downstairs, the shop- GIRLS- remains as Klaus found it earlier, with cages of nearly-naked young humanoid women throughout, many of whom watch Klaus and the others nervously. At the counter, however, there's two people who weren't here earlier. The first is an ugly catgirl, completely hairless with triangular ears and loose, wrinkled skin; it's hard to say how old she is. Her face is catlike, with large yellow eyes, and she's wearing a loose, hooded black robe. One of her hands is in her pocket, the other grips a chain going to the wrists of a slender young woman. The captive has pale skin, dark brown eyes and pale brown hair marked with darker bits. There's a darker patch of colour about her eyes, and she's got a tail that starts off pale brown but is black at the end and her ears are round and nearly- but not quite- human in shape. The meerkat-girl is about twenty, and looks worried and vulnerable, in her trainers and bikini bottoms. "Look, see? She's worth money. You can make a profit, I just need money first. Look, the first meerkat to go through the Doctor's process. So pay me fair, and I'll buy another. Human, young. No more than twenty-five."
    "No, I can't do that. We don't buy here, except in exceptional circumstances. Go outside, to the booth near security opposite the leatherworker. They'll buy her there, and give you actual money. Then you come here, and use that money- if there's enough of it- to replace her for your doctor. OK? There's a process, please follow it." The speaker sounds frustrated, like they've been arguing this point for a while.
    [Alecto's Office]

"Beg your pardon." Korvin interrupts, mask back on. He saunters up to the catgirl and her... "companion". "Did you say, 'Doctor'? As in, Doctor Master?" Korvin gives her a genial nod. "Korvin, Witness of Astheneia. I'm a big fan of Doctor Master's work. I happen to have one of his, in fact. A catgirl, about yea tall. Answers to the name 'Fifi'. Hell of a dancer." He chuckles dryly. "How much did you intend to sell this one for?"

Warehouse

That's unfortunate, as it's going to be about half an hour before anyone comes by to check on her. The shredders will cause a lot of damage to her wrists and hands if she manages to get them off, or even if she fails. And Abby can't call for help either, as she's got a silence glyph post-it note stuck to her chest just above her dots, though she's not positioned where she can see into Hana's cage at what she's doing.

The person who comes to have a look opens the cell and pulls Hana out, looking her over and nodding to herself. They're a massive, muscular Amazon, two and a half metres tall, with deep red skin and short crimson hair. Her body's covered in scars, and her left eye is concealed behind an eye patch. Her right eye is piercing green. She wears a padded tunic with a breastplate over the top and an armoured kilt about her legs. Accompanying her are several others- a skinny and nervous-looking Vedalken in a tailored pinstripe business suit, playing with a very large ring of keys. A one-legged human male with dark skin and hair, a black dragonbone prosthesis strapped to their right knee, wearing a loincloth of human leather and carrying a trident and a dagger. A blind female elf with silver hair and bone-white skin elf wearing a diaphanous dark grey blouse and a matching loincloth, barely hiding anything, a red ribbon tied over her eyesockets and holding an urumi. An orc wearing mismatched armour including cricket shin pads, a modern bulletproof vest, and bits of steel, bronze, bone and wood, only a thumb remaining of their left hand, with a katar strapped to that hand and holding a chain to which several figures in sandals and shapeless white robes are attached.
    [Warehouse]

Hana looks around at her "liberators", already in a frenzy from her incarceration and injuries. She notes what she's looking at; five others, at least four of whom seem to be seasoned combatants, and were definitely armed.

What she doesn't see are any of those fight-stopping shock prods the guards were so fond of. Which, to her overtaxed mind, means she has a fighting chance.

What follows is a solid right hook aimed at the Amazon's face, angled so the punch would come in just where her left eye would be; Hana is hoping she won't see it coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Vahnavoi View Post
    [From Groundtown to Skyside]

The man leaves his helmet dangling from the horn of his bike as he walks into a basket lift. As the lift nudges upwards, Hazel can notice her ghostly feet sinking part way into the floor of the lift, but only for a moment. Like in the prison yard earlier, when the lift reaches a steady speed, she floats to the top of the solid structure, like oil above water.

"Clinging to me is unnecessary. You don't have to worry about falling down through the ground up there anymore than you have to worry about it down here", the man explains. "As a ghost, being earthbound is as much a matter of attitude as it of physics. Just pretending the ground is still the ground will suffice. If you worked on it, you might eventually be able to float with the wind and such. It's the same principle as flying in a dream."
    [Groundtown => Skyside]

"...Ya know dat makes no friggin' sense, right?" Hazel drones, releasing him. "'Da same principle as flyin' in a dream'? Sense when does anythin' work da way it does in a dream?"

Clearly, Hazel has yet to spend too much time in the Nexus.

"Does dat mean if I close my eyes an' stard walkin' like I'm goin' up da stairs, I'll end up floatin'? Whad else does dat mean? Am I armed wit' finger guns now?"
    Last edited by Ironsmith; 2021-11-21 at 07:50 PM.

7. - Top - End - #1117
    Ogre in the Playground

Mina's Manor

"YOU!" snorts Mina, recognizing that voice. She stomps over beside Sai, uncaring that she wasn't supposed to follow him.
    "Throwing magic at people without their consent is rude you know! I oughta- I oughta- well I probably oughta do something. Whaddaya want?" she demands.

8. - Top - End - #1118
    Orc in the Playground

Alecto's Office --> GIRLS Main Floor

The sphynx-girl turns to look at Korvin, her lip hooking into a snarl. "Perhaps. Fifi, Fifi... Tabby, yes? The Doctor works mostly with cats. They are common and easy to find, and the perfect size for the process. Fifi was from the last batch. I'm glad to hear her dancing impresses. She was chosen for her coordination, I recall. She's... not been any trouble, has she? She fought, initially. That shouldn't be a problem any more, however." That sounds like Fifi, she's got tabby patterning, and she's had martial arts training she no longer remembers. "I was hoping for [large amount], but there's haggle room." She's actually expecting about half the amount she named, with more than that being better than less.

The meerkat glances at Korvin and gulps, quite uncomfortable with being so close to a man whilst she's so underdressed. At least the sphynx, the shopkeeper and everyone in cages are women, and none seem particularly interested in her as a person. Korvin does, and that's a worry.

Warehouse

The Amazon moves a hand very quickly to grab Hana's leg and hold it steady. Her grip is very firm, but gentle. "A good kick. This one has skill, as well as spirit. I'll take her. Thorog, pay the weed." The orc nods and produces a pouch, which is thrown at the Vedalken. "Fight for me, little one, and you will be rewarded. Anything you please, if I can do it you'll get it. Better food than you get here, healing, luxuries to your chamber. Eventually, you may even get freedom, and a job as trainer. Even my position, someday. Perhaps." The Amazon lets go of Hana's leg and kneels to look into Hana's eyes.

9. - Top - End - #1119
    Ogre in the Playground

[Searching for Truth]

Forcefields tend to be designed specifically to stop smashing levels of violence!

Glad she doesn't have to explain that, Ilpholin glances down for a moment. Well, at least they haven't been noticed. Yet. That'll only last for so long, even with the sun backing them up.

"We can try that, yeah. I was personally thinking about getting onto the ship somehow, but I think that might not be an option anymore. They have security going out to keep an eye on it." She points down at the activity below.
    Hmm.
    "Or we could wait for them to go check on the ship and slip in the door as they leave? Though we're much more likely to be spotted that way without a ship to cover us in some way."

[Black Abyss Body Shop]

Bruce is already on that, heading towards the kitchen for the first aid kit. Even Raven keeps them around! Like fire extinguishers. Necessities.

Not that Raven ignores Rose's request. It's impossible when Rose is leaning on her for support. "I've got the bandages covered. For anything else, you'll have to wait for me to put the Hotbox back together. It's really fascinating technology. I think I have a good grasp on how it works now so it shouldn't take more than a few minutes to reassemble." Raven thinks. Probably!

Maybe.

Regardless, she attempts to guide Rose into sitting down so that they can tend to that leg, Raven taking the kit from Bruce to get some gauze and antiseptic to take care of Rose's wound. "This'll sting a lot," Raven warns.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

10. - Top - End - #1120
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ironsmith View Post
    [Groundtown => Skyside]

"...Ya know dat makes no friggin' sense, right?" Hazel drones, releasing him. "'Da same principle as flyin' in a dream'? Sense when does anythin' work da way it does in a dream?"

Clearly, Hazel has yet to spend too much time in the Nexus.

"Does dat mean if I close my eyes an' stard walkin' like I'm goin' up da stairs, I'll end up floatin'? Whad else does dat mean? Am I armed wit' finger guns now?"
    The man laughs heartily. "What about it doesn't make sense? Think about it!" He holds his left palm up and mimes someone walking on its with fingers of his right hand. "When you walk around awake, you're upright. Gravity pulls you down towards your feet." He lays his hand on top of each other. "When you lay down to sleep, you are now supported by your back. The direction of gravity in relation to your posture changes. But your dreams, consisting of memories you made when awake, still play as if you're upright. That's why it feels different to walk around in a dream, and that's why, once you notice you're in a dream, you can do things like lift both feet off the ground and float away."

He gestures at Hazel's ethereal form. "That thing you're now is ectoplasmic projection of your past physical self. It looks like you did and moves around like you did when you were alive, because that's how you remember things being. It is a map of who you used to be. But a map is not the real thing, and once you grok that, you can take some liberties with it."

11. - Top - End - #1121

Mina's Manor

"Yes, me." The figure declares with annoyance as those eyes dart in Mina's direction. "And I already told you what I want. I wanna find out who messed up everything this badly." Her eyes narrow at Sai. "Was it you?" And there's that accusing finger of pointiness again.

[Searching for Truth]

Forcefields tend to be designed specifically to stop smashing levels of violence!

Glad she doesn't have to explain that, Ilpholin glances down for a moment. Well, at least they haven't been noticed. Yet. That'll only last for so long, even with the sun backing them up.

"We can try that, yeah. I was personally thinking about getting onto the ship somehow, but I think that might not be an option anymore. They have security going out to keep an eye on it." She points down at the activity below.
    Hmm.
    "Or we could wait for them to go check on the ship and slip in the door as they leave? Though we're much more likely to be spotted that way without a ship to cover us in some way."
    [Searching for Truth]

Anika considers this for a moment. "Can't you pull the same trick as earlier? Pretending to be an, uh, field operator while I can be your... pet hawk?" A beat. "Pet bear? Anaconda? Saber?"

Down below people are boarding the ship but they're not bringing with them any supplies. Instead it looks like they're moving in paintings and expensive-looking furniture into the shuttle for whatever reason.
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2021-11-22 at 05:10 AM.

12. - Top - End - #1122

Mina's Manor

"YOU!" snorts Mina, recognizing that voice. She stomps over beside Sai, uncaring that she wasn't supposed to follow him.
    "Throwing magic at people without their consent is rude you know! I oughta- I oughta- well I probably oughta do something. Whaddaya want?" she demands.
    Mina's Manor

"Yes, me." The figure declares with annoyance as those eyes dart in Mina's direction. "And I already told you what I want. I wanna find out who messed up everything this badly." Her eyes narrow at Sai. "Was it you?" And there's that accusing finger of pointiness again.
    [Mina's Manor]

Followed promptly by the wrinkled hand of placatingness as Sai gently pats her hand down, shaking his head. "I'm afraid altering magic to that degree is beyond my capabilities." He replies simply. "Though have you considered that this is not exactly a bad thing? Was it not your intent to make Mina fabulously wealthy?" His other hand goes to Mina's. "...Though perhaps you could have asked first, I dare say everything went according to plan."

Alecto's Office --> GIRLS Main Floor

The sphynx-girl turns to look at Korvin, her lip hooking into a snarl. "Perhaps. Fifi, Fifi... Tabby, yes? The Doctor works mostly with cats. They are common and easy to find, and the perfect size for the process. Fifi was from the last batch. I'm glad to hear her dancing impresses. She was chosen for her coordination, I recall. She's... not been any trouble, has she? She fought, initially. That shouldn't be a problem any more, however." That sounds like Fifi, she's got tabby patterning, and she's had martial arts training she no longer remembers. "I was hoping for [large amount], but there's haggle room." She's actually expecting about half the amount she named, with more than that being better than less.

The meerkat glances at Korvin and gulps, quite uncomfortable with being so close to a man whilst she's so underdressed. At least the sphynx, the shopkeeper and everyone in cages are women, and none seem particularly interested in her as a person. Korvin does, and that's a worry.
    [GIRLS Main Floor]

If it helps her psyche at all, Korvin doesn't especially look like a man. He barely looks human, with those form-concealing robes and expressionless mask. A grim spectre amid- yeah that won't help at all.

"Healthily fiesty, I would say." Korvin chuckles. "Perhaps not Doctor Master's intent, but there's a great deal of enjoyment to be had in the struggle, wouldn't you say?" He shakes his head slightly. "Shame she got away. But that's what I get for giving her too long a leash." He pulls off his glove and starts gently caressing the meerkat girl's hair. "I'll give you seventy percent for this one. A suitable replacement at a reasonable markdown, yes?"

Warehouse

The Amazon moves a hand very quickly to grab Hana's leg and hold it steady. Her grip is very firm, but gentle. "A good kick. This one has skill, as well as spirit. I'll take her. Thorog, pay the weed." The orc nods and produces a pouch, which is thrown at the Vedalken. "Fight for me, little one, and you will be rewarded. Anything you please, if I can do it you'll get it. Better food than you get here, healing, luxuries to your chamber. Eventually, you may even get freedom, and a job as trainer. Even my position, someday. Perhaps." The Amazon lets go of Hana's leg and kneels to look into Hana's eyes.
    [Warehouse]

Hana winces when the Amazon catches her punch, either from the pain of having her mutilated hands touched or in anticipation of a more robust response. Fortunately, the Amazon seems more impressed than insulted. In fact, if she wanted to secure her cooperation...

Hana opens her mouth to tell the Amazon she wants Abbi released, too, but the words die in her throat, resulting in meaningless mouthing. She tries again, then remembers that shs has that weird sticky note thing on her back. She tries to reach around to pull it off, but can't quite manage it, due to the positioning. Finally, she decides to just point firmly at Abbi's cell and see if the Amazon gets her meaning.

[Black Abyss Body Shop]

Bruce is already on that, heading towards the kitchen for the first aid kit. Even Raven keeps them around! Like fire extinguishers. Necessities.

Not that Raven ignores Rose's request. It's impossible when Rose is leaning on her for support. "I've got the bandages covered. For anything else, you'll have to wait for me to put the Hotbox back together. It's really fascinating technology. I think I have a good grasp on how it works now so it shouldn't take more than a few minutes to reassemble." Raven thinks. Probably!

Maybe.

Regardless, she attempts to guide Rose into sitting down so that they can tend to that leg, Raven taking the kit from Bruce to get some gauze and antiseptic to take care of Rose's wound. "This'll sting a lot," Raven warns.
    [Black Abyss Body Shop]

"Can't be much worse than being stabbed in the first plaaaaaaaaaaagh!" Rose grimaces and squeezes her eyes shut. "Agh! Nope, nope, it's so much [curtaining] worse, god f- ooh, that's freaking weird, it's like my leg's burning fffffff- how do you people survive without medigel?!"

Rose doesn't stay in a sitting position for long. She'll have made her way back onto Raven's bed, and once the antiseptic comes on, she'll be laying back down on it, fist pumping futilely into the mattress as she tries to get her mind off the AGONIZING PAIN in her leg.

Wait. Wait, did she say...

"Put back together"?

Now Rose was certain she didn't hear that right. Literally all the things could go wrong. Hotboxes aren't meant to come apart, and even certified geniuses in her era wouldn't be able to comprehend how all the myriad bits of technology came together to produce a scientific miracle. Attempting to reverse engineer it was a fool's errand. Nobody in their right mind would even attempt it.

Oh, right. Raven wasn't in her right mind.

"Remind me to get properly mad at you when I'm not bleeding out." Rose hisses, squeezing at the comforter.

The man laughs heartily. "What about it doesn't make sense? Think about it!" He holds his left palm up and mimes someone walking on its with fingers of his right hand. "When you walk around awake, you're upright. Gravity pulls you down towards your feet." He lays his hand on top of each other. "When you lay down to sleep, you are now supported by your back. The direction of gravity in relation to your posture changes. But your dreams, consisting of memories you made when awake, still play as if you're upright. That's why it feels different to walk around in a dream, and that's why, once you notice you're in a dream, you can do things like lift both feet off the ground and float away."

He gestures at Hazel's ethereal form. "That thing you're now is ectoplasmic projection of your past physical self. It looks like you did and moves around like you did when you were alive, because that's how you remember things being. It is a map of who you used to be. But a map is not the real thing, and once you grok that, you can take some liberties with it."
    [Skyside Lift]

Hazel sighs and takes a puff from a cigarette that she's definitely had all this time. "Sure, fine, whadeveh." She grumbles. Clearly the analogy is lost on her.

...Ugh. This elevator ride is taking forever. Who knew a lift from the ground to a city in the clouds could take so long?!

After a few minutes of anxious foot-tapping, pacing and watch-checking, Hazel decides to go back to the conversation to pass the time.

"...So whad's youh deal, anyway?" Hazel asks abruptly. "Howdja get involved in ghosts an' the supehnatural an' such? Dat normal around heye?"

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

13. - Top - End - #1123
    Ogre in the Playground

[Skyside lift]

The man looks wistfully into the horizon. "There's two kinds of fights in this world: those for pride and those for life. I got into what I thought was the former kind and nearly paid the price of the latter."

"When I was laying in a hospital, broken, and the staff were ready to proclaim me done, the Reaper appeared to me. They offered me a job: a new lease of life, in exchange of doing a Reaper's work myself. I asked them, what would happen if I refused? They showed me."

"In life, I had this principle, of never working for anyone else. So my first instinct was to reject the offer. Going back on my principle meant ceasing to be me. But, as I was standing on the doorstep to Hell, I realized, rejecting also meant I'd cease to be. I've heard, on the face of absurdity, man has no choice but to rebel, but I could not quite tell what counted as rebelling. Either way I was going to die."

He shrugs and walks out of the lift when it finally climbs over the edge of the city proper. "This was long ago, of course. It didn't happen here - place, city, world, whatever you want to call this nonsense." He waves backwards, tracing a circle around the world below. "What I used to call home didn't have floating cities, or spaceships, or faerie folk hanging around at bars. Not a lot of people knew about ghosts and all - a lot of people believed, for sure, but they were like virgins whose idea of sex was based on reading porn mags and bad erotica. So, believe me when I say, I've once been in the same crappy situation as you are now."

The road has twists and turns, but each step takes the pair closer to the Trust-Worthy Hotel. Few passers by take a look at the lone man apparently talking to himself, and decide they want more distance between themselves and the crazy.

14. - Top - End - #1124
    Ogre in the Playground

Mina’s Manor

”What were you trying to do anyway? Emily is still dealing with being a giant croc and a fancy lady at the same time.” Mina demands, continuing to not be amused.

15. - Top - End - #1125

Mina’s Manor

The figure groans as Mina talks. "Ugh, so many demands." The hand Sai slapped away now gestures towards him. "Since yes, I did in fact make her extremely wealthy, yet this is as usual the attitude I get in return. I give people this sort of stuff all the time but they're always so ungrateful unless everything is perfect. I even tried something different-" The green eyes glare at Mina. "-those items you were scoffing at. Of course, that's not good enough. Wouldn't even give me twenty minutes of their time! So I did expected more complaints when I came here. That seems to be what everyone is giving me after all."

The figure attempts to move past the two and into the manor at this point. Umbrella still held high and now dripping water all over the floor.

"However, in your case I was curious since a lot of stuff didn't turn out right as something interfered." The eyes dart between Sai and Mina. "And if it wasn't any of you... then what was it? If you give me an honest answer I might, eh, tweak out some details that you might have been unhappy with."
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2021-11-22 at 08:05 AM.

16. - Top - End - #1126

[Skyside lift]

The man looks wistfully into the horizon. "There's two kinds of fights in this world: those for pride and those for life. I got into what I thought was the former kind and nearly paid the price of the latter."

"When I was laying in a hospital, broken, and the staff were ready to proclaim me done, the Reaper appeared to me. They offered me a job: a new lease of life, in exchange of doing a Reaper's work myself. I asked them, what would happen if I refused? They showed me."

"In life, I had this principle, of never working for anyone else. So my first instinct was to reject the offer. Going back on my principle meant ceasing to be me. But, as I was standing on the doorstep to Hell, I realized, rejecting also meant I'd cease to be. I've heard, on the face of absurdity, man has no choice but to rebel, but I could not quite tell what counted as rebelling. Either way I was going to die."

He shrugs and walks out of the lift when it finally climbs over the edge of the city proper. "This was long ago, of course. It didn't happen here - place, city, world, whatever you want to call this nonsense." He waves backwards, tracing a circle around the world below. "What I used to call home didn't have floating cities, or spaceships, or faerie folk hanging around at bars. Not a lot of people knew about ghosts and all - a lot of people believed, for sure, but they were like virgins whose idea of sex was based on reading porn mags and bad erotica. So, believe me when I say, I've once been in the same crappy situation as you are now."

The road has twists and turns, but each step takes the pair closer to the Trust-Worthy Hotel. Few passers by take a look at the lone man apparently talking to himself, and decide they want more distance between themselves and the crazy.
    [Streets of Skyside]

"Oh, brudda." Hazel mumbles to herself as Sandels begins his narration. That was on her; she did sort of ask for his life story. Just not necessarily told like a noire drama. As he goes on, Sandels might be able to catch glimpses of Hazel clearly but inaudibly mocking him, making a "you talk too much" gesture with her hand, walking along in an obvious parody of his gait, and at one point pantomiming playing a saxophone to indicate the slow jazz she was sure he wanted to have playing in the background. After a while, it becomes less pantomiming and more just actually playing. She's not half bad at it.

That all goes away when he tries to empathize with her, though.

"Really." She deadpans, dropping the imaginary saxophone. "Youhe goin' ta tell me now dat you've been shoved outta youh bodeh so you could find youh wife and den had it backfire on ya? Somehow I doubt dat."

Mina’s Manor

”What were you trying to do anyway? Emily is still dealing with being a giant croc and a fancy lady at the same time.” Mina demands, continuing to not be amused.
    Mina’s Manor

The figure groans as Mina talks. "Ugh, so many demands." The hand Sai slapped away now gestures towards him. "Since yes, I did in fact make her extremely wealthy, yet this is as usual the attitude I get in return. I give people this sort of stuff all the time but they're always so ungrateful unless everything is perfect. I even tried something different-" The green eyes glare at Mina. "-those items you were scoffing at. Of course, that's not good enough. Wouldn't even give me twenty minutes of their time! So I did expected more complaints when I came here. That seems to be what everyone is giving me after all."

The figure attempts to move past the two and into the manor at this point. Umbrella still held high and now dripping water all over the floor.

"However, in your case I was curious since a lot of stuff didn't turn out right as something interfered." The eyes dart between Sai and Mina. "And if it wasn't any of you... then what was it? If you give me an honest answer I might, eh, tweak out some details that you might have been unhappy with."
    [Mina's Manor]

"That won't be necessary." Sai replies firmly. He doesn't really trust this woman or her magic; given how upset she seemed to be by the complaints she mentioned, he can only assume they're frequent and egregious. And given the apparent simplicity of what she wanted to do in making Mina wealthy, he doesn't think allowing her to "tweak" similarly simple details would end well for anyone concerned.

He turns to Mina and gives her a silent little head shake, emphasizing the percieved importance of refusal to her. Whether she takes his meaning, or agrees, is out of his hands.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

17. - Top - End - #1127
    Ogre in the Playground

Mina's Manor

Mina seems thoroughly confused.
    "Wait, if you were just zapping me into wealth, why did you ask for money for all your magic items?! I didn't trust them because I didn't have any money to afford nice magic things.
    I don't even know who was messing around with your magic. Probably some god or something. I don't even know any of the names of the ones that are supposedly watching over me and Sai. I'm sorry things aren't going your way. But if you're only expecting complaints you didn't need to come just to fix things more."

Mina has no idea what's going on and thinks it's probably best to just politely downplay all of this. But she still really confused as to what this person is thinking. Or why they're hiding so much.

18. - Top - End - #1128
    Ogre in the Playground

[Streets of Skyside - near the Trust-Worthy Hotel]

He doesn't say it, but the man finds Hazel's mockery of his life to be hilarious. It would almost be worthy of being recorded, but of course will soon be lost as surely as Hazel's ghostly jazz will be lost in the noise of Skyside traffic.

"No, I meant having to adjust to a surreal world where everything's turned on its head. But maybe you're beyond it already", he says with a smile. Then, he spots a familiar-looking sign and scans the area for the building he saw in Mini-Gandalf's divination. "Oh, hey. We're here. So, do you want to float inside and look for your wife on your own? Or do you want me to talk to her? Can't guarantee she'd notice you alone."

19. - Top - End - #1129
    Orc in the Playground

GIRLS Main Floor

His appearance, and the words he uses- praising about a struggle, for one thing- really don't help, no. The poor meerkat shudders as he strokes her brindled hair, and screws her eyes shut, before opening them again to make sure she's aware of where his hands are, if they're moving anywhere.

"That... would be acceptable. This one isn't as feisty, but the Doctor has been able to teach her first aid. Her name's Magoo." The sphynx reaches out and unchains the bindings about the meerkat's wrists, as she's not intending to sell those- and the price was purely for the girl. Korvin can buy restraints here, if he wants to. As soon as her hands are free, she moves up to cover her chest, and looks around wildly. Unfortunately, she doubts she'd get far- a near-naked woman running out of this shop would immediately attract attention from the security guards.

Warehouse

"Remove the silencer, let her speak. And give her something to wear, it's cold outside." The Amazon doesn't turn away from Hana as she speaks, but the Vedalken hurries to obey, walking quickly- not running, can't do to show that he's scared of these brutes, but he is scared- behind Hana and peeling off the post-it note before shrouding her shoulders with a large coat.

Whilst this occurs, two of the other gladiators are looking at the other cages, rather bored and enjoying what they can see. The elf is the exception, instead gently moving the urumi around, weaving it about her body. It's an unusual weapon, but she handles it confidently even without sight.

20. - Top - End - #1130

Mina's Manor

"I didn't need anything, it was just for fun!" The shadowy person claims. "But if you don't know..." She let's out another frustrated sigh. "Why would some god protect you in particular, huh? No one has been protected before and now you-" She points at Mina. "You get different treatment? What makes you so special? Is it the destiny thing you got? Maybe I can work with that, see what happens..." She seems to be getting dangerous ideas...
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2021-11-22 at 06:28 PM.

21. - Top - End - #1131
    Ogre in the Playground

[Searching for Truth]

"I mean... I can try, but a huge construction project like that is different from a small supply ship. You're supposed to know everyone on a ship already. Guess I could knock someone out and look like them. And their new pet hawk?" Ilpholin sounds a little skeptical, but they can certainly give it a try. It's less physically dangerous perhaps than performing questionable midair maneuvers on vehicles not designed for them.

Ilpholin looks at the cargo being moved. "Tellysandra likes expensive things right? Are hawks exotic enough and expensive enough? Maybe she 'bought' one."

[Black Abyss Body Shop]

"Why?" Raven asks with raised eyebrow. Is this about the whole trying to upgrade Rose thing? Raven thought they were past that!

Or maybe just cause it hurt taking care of that wound. Guess that's fair. Ish. "Oh you aren't going to bleed out just from that. It probably won't even scar! Maybe. Not used to putting breathing people back together." Zombies care less about their scars.

"I'm going to go take a shower to wash off whatever... this... was you got all over me and then I'll fix your box. If you need anything, just ask Bruce, ok?" Raven says as she heads towards the bathroom.

Bruce has preemptively brought Rose a glass of Orange Juice! For the blood loss.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

22. - Top - End - #1132

Mina's Manor

Mina seems thoroughly confused.
    "Wait, if you were just zapping me into wealth, why did you ask for money for all your magic items?! I didn't trust them because I didn't have any money to afford nice magic things.
    I don't even know who was messing around with your magic. Probably some god or something. I don't even know any of the names of the ones that are supposedly watching over me and Sai. I'm sorry things aren't going your way. But if you're only expecting complaints you didn't need to come just to fix things more."

Mina has no idea what's going on and thinks it's probably best to just politely downplay all of this. But she still really confused as to what this person is thinking. Or why they're hiding so much.
    Mina's Manor

"I didn't need anything, it was just for fun!" The shadowy person claims. "But if you don't know..." She let's out another frustrated sigh. "Why would some god protect you in particular, huh? No one has been protected before and now you-" She points at Mina. "You get different treatment? What makes you so special? Is it the destiny thing you got? Maybe I can work with that, see what happens..." She seems to be getting dangerous ideas...
    [Mina's Manor]

"That's the wrong question." Sai replies curtly. "The better question is, knowing she had higher powers watching out for her, who have already demonstrated they can mess with your magic, is it wise to provoke them with a second casting? It all worked out more or less as you intended this time, but do you really know how far the magic can be bent?"

[Streets of Skyside - near the Trust-Worthy Hotel]

He doesn't say it, but the man finds Hazel's mockery of his life to be hilarious. It would almost be worthy of being recorded, but of course will soon be lost as surely as Hazel's ghostly jazz will be lost in the noise of Skyside traffic.

"No, I meant having to adjust to a surreal world where everything's turned on its head. But maybe you're beyond it already", he says with a smile. Then, he spots a familiar-looking sign and scans the area for the building he saw in Mini-Gandalf's divination. "Oh, hey. We're here. So, do you want to float inside and look for your wife on your own? Or do you want me to talk to her? Can't guarantee she'd notice you alone."
    [Trust-Worthy Hotel]

"Ooooh, no." Hazel says, giving him a little push toward the building. "If ya run off, dere's a good chance I'd neveh find ya back, and den where would I be? Asides, I needja in there ta talk ta da staff, too. It's kinda hahd ta get directions when nobody can see or heah ya."

GIRLS Main Floor

His appearance, and the words he uses- praising about a struggle, for one thing- really don't help, no. The poor meerkat shudders as he strokes her brindled hair, and screws her eyes shut, before opening them again to make sure she's aware of where his hands are, if they're moving anywhere.

"That... would be acceptable. This one isn't as feisty, but the Doctor has been able to teach her first aid. Her name's Magoo." The sphynx reaches out and unchains the bindings about the meerkat's wrists, as she's not intending to sell those- and the price was purely for the girl. Korvin can buy restraints here, if he wants to. As soon as her hands are free, she moves up to cover her chest, and looks around wildly. Unfortunately, she doubts she'd get far- a near-naked woman running out of this shop would immediately attract attention from the security guards.
    [GIRLS Main Floor]

"Self-sustaining. I like that." Korvin chuckles, tilting Magoo's head up by her chin. "You know better than to run, don't you, Magoo?" He chuckles and runs his other, still-gloved hand down her cheek, which will cause some hair loss the follicles melt away. "Come on, then." He pulls her along, paying the sphinx girl as he leaves. "If you have any more, come see me first." He adds, giving her a little nod.

Then, as soon as he and Magoo are out of the shop, he gives her a little shove; just enough clearance that she might think she has a chance of getting away, and that she might not notice him discretely messaging Fifi and Sammi to come pick her up:

GIN-Tau99: Deal going down at GIRLS. Slave girl being sold has medical training. Buyer is overconfident putz. Get down there and retrieve a potential recruit.

Warehouse

"Remove the silencer, let her speak. And give her something to wear, it's cold outside." The Amazon doesn't turn away from Hana as she speaks, but the Vedalken hurries to obey, walking quickly- not running, can't do to show that he's scared of these brutes, but he is scared- behind Hana and peeling off the post-it note before shrouding her shoulders with a large coat.

Whilst this occurs, two of the other gladiators are looking at the other cages, rather bored and enjoying what they can see. The elf is the exception, instead gently moving the urumi around, weaving it about her body. It's an unusual weapon, but she handles it confidently even without sight.
    [Warehouse]

Hana lets out a gasp of relief as the silencer comes off, then wraps herself up in that coat, buttoning it up quickly so she can go back to having some modesty. "I've got a friend in here." She says, massaging her neck gingerly. "Her name's Abbi. She's in that cell right there." She points to it again. "We got captured together, and she's been looking out for me since. Bring her, too." Not even a question. She gets the feeling this Amazon would respond better to a confident assertion than a polite request.

[Black Abyss Body Shop]

"Why?" Raven asks with raised eyebrow. Is this about the whole trying to upgrade Rose thing? Raven thought they were past that!

Or maybe just cause it hurt taking care of that wound. Guess that's fair. Ish. "Oh you aren't going to bleed out just from that. It probably won't even scar! Maybe. Not used to putting breathing people back together." Zombies care less about their scars.

"I'm going to go take a shower to wash off whatever... this... was you got all over me and then I'll fix your box. If you need anything, just ask Bruce, ok?" Raven says as she heads towards the bathroom.

Bruce has preemptively brought Rose a glass of Orange Juice! For the blood loss.
    [Black Abyss Body Shop]

"That'll be a Vanilla Spice perfume I made myself." Rose replies, still wincing. "I was wearing something close to it when I first came to your shop, and... well, you know how Bruce reacted to it." She takes a little sip of orange juice and grimaces. "...For the record, it compliments you pretty well. If there wasn't any risk to wearing it around your zombies, I'd recommend it to you." She gives Raven a sad little smile and lets her go off to do her own thing.

Meanwhile, she has an ethical crisis to consider. She'd just promised Raven she wouldn't leave. But what was that supposed to mean? Rose is a spy. Deception's a big part of her job description. That promise meant nothing.

Well, it meant nothing to her. To Raven, it was persuasive enough to forestall a murder, potentially indefinitely. And the poor girl clearly needs someone to stick by her.

What kind of talk is that? Rose should know better than to get bogged down like this. She's walked out on hundreds of people who trusted her. That was her whole thing. Sure, she usually felt a little guilty about it afterwards, but it's her job.

...Entirely because it would let her help other people. Her people. Which she could no longer get to. Why should she go back to MERC after this? Money? If Raven got her Hotbox working, that was a non-issue. And if she did go back, they'd just send her on another job like this, if they had any sense.

Not that actually staying with Raven was a much better option. The girl's psychotic; she's already tried to kill Rose once. Who can say if she'll do it again? And besides, what does Rose really owe her? Not a damn thing! This was pure sentiment brought on by familiarity. There's no sense in getting trapped here, with a self-described evil empress, while she's still capable of leaving.

Rose sighs and shakes her head. She knows what she's going to have to do. And this juice really isn't helping that sickly feeling in her stomach.

If Raven does as promised and returns Rose's Hotbox, she's going to wake up to an empty bed in the morning.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

23. - Top - End - #1133
    Ogre in the Playground

Mina's Manor

Mina crosses her arms dramatically.
    "Yeah, they already turned me into a cow-person and messed with your magic to make sure I stick to this whole grand demon-averting destiny thing, you probably don't want to risk the bureaucracy turning on you. You might wake up mortal like Sai or something." she warns the intruder. She can clearly go wherever she wants so Mina and Sai are going to have to convince her to leave the normal way.

24. - Top - End - #1134
    Orc in the Playground

Near the Trust-Worthy Hotel

It's a good-looking hotel, four storeys and in a good position to have good customers, not far from one of the Skyside's busier air-docks. It's shabby enough that it looks as though it's reasonably priced, with the odd broken window, graffitied wall and overflowing bin. At about dawn, it's reasonably busy as guests check out and leave. Hopefully, they've not missed Hana in the crowd- or else she's hired a room for longer than one night, and so will be back.

Warehouse

The Amazon nods and walks over to Abby's cage, where she's leaning against the back of her cramped box and sighs as she sees Hana's OK. "A friend, hmm? More than a friend, way she looks at you. Doesn't look much like a gladiator, though." She reaches in and grabs Abby's face, moving it around. She pulls the sticker off Abby's chest. "What do you think? Do you want to be a gladiator, girl? Could you kill somebody, if you had to?"
    Abby gulps and nods slightly. "There's... there's people I'd like the chance to kill, mistress. Um. I am a trained masseuse, mistress. I'm sure some of your gladiators would appreciate that, if nothing else."
    The Amazon smiles. "Good. Dead gladiators don't earn money, you want to hurt them so they can't fight back but killing them is generally unprofitable." Sometimes, with high enough bets and plenty of gambling going on, it can be worth killing a gladiator or two.

GIRLS Main Floor --> Street of Slavers

Magoo meets Korvin's eyes, looking absolutely terrified, as her head is tilted back. She nods and then freezes as she feels the tingle of the glove starting to affect her skin, and gulps.
    "I will keep you in mind, if you tell me how to find you. This was... a slight emergency. Normally they go straight to the warehouse, so the Doctor can pick up the next subjects for the process. A few more should be decanted next week, girls and boys both." She doesn't know for sure what they are besides that, since Doctor Master is the main person responsible for maintaining the vats and keeping track of progress.

Outside, it's quite early so the street is rather empty, though there's still conspicuous guards. There's always conspicuous guards on the Street of Slavers, to prevent slaves from thinking they've got a chance of escaping. Opposite, there's a shop advertising men, there's the blank, hostile-looking concrete slab that is the Skyside Orphanage, there's a pet shop down the road and another shop specialising in exotic slaves.

Sammi won't be going, due to her blindness, but Fifi does bring along help- Makaru, the kor. They don't arrive immediately, though inform Korvin they're on their way, which is probably lucky as Magoo doesn't actually take the bait. Even with the shove, which made her stumble, and the distance between them; she tries to keep the distance, but doesn't know where they're going and doesn't want to run here.

25. - Top - End - #1135
    Ogre in the Playground

[Black Abyss Body Shop]

"Noted." All of the mecha-zombies are due for a software and hardware update it seems. Raven won't allow some... Vanilla Spice to derail her plans for world domination. P-plus, if Rose likes the way Raven smells with it, she should wear it more often. That'll necessitate the update.

Bruce keeps Rose company in the event she requires anything else for her injuries, standing dutifully out of the way, but close enough to be a presence.

Rose needn't worry about slipping out by the time the sun arrives. It'll take Raven the rest of the night to reassemble the hotbox she thoroughly disassembled already. Fortunately Raven has taken very detailed notes about what she did to get the box in the pieces it's in. It's really only a matter of going backwards! Mostly. There's only one or two things she improvises along the way. It's probably no big deal.

At the end of it all, Rose gets her hotbox back with one major change... the Raven Ebondark decal the catgirl added on the side for flavor. Does the dark empress just have decals of herself hiding in her desk or something? Either way Raven hands it over after a night of absolutely zero sleep. She won't stop Rose from excusing herself if she wants to step out though. After all, Rose has a hotel to manage.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

26. - Top - End - #1136

[Searching for Truth]

Anika considers this for a moment. "What if... hey, how small can you turn, Ilphy? Since say you flew over here with me you could be the, ah, delivered goods. Or we both could be. Sexy people are hired all the time right? If only to stand around looking pretty." Anika gestures down at the garden underneath them which certainly is full of beautiful things, in particular she seems to be gesturing at the unusually lifelike statues. "And she does seem to like pretty stuff."

Mina's Manor

"Oh! So you lied!" The figure declares with a sudden laugh. "Someone is already playing around with your life, huh? Should have figured that out sooner." Despite only seeing this persons eyes they get the feeling that she's grinning now. "But we're big boys and girls so I'm sure we can play together." The eyes turn to Mina. "Cow demon-hunting destiny, huh? I can work with that. In fact, you're not even the first cow-person I've worked with." The figure steps closer to her. "So tell me about these demons. Since I can help you here, promise! You do sound pretty pissed at these guys so why not let me help out?"
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2021-11-24 at 05:39 AM.

27. - Top - End - #1137
    Ogre in the Playground

[Trust-Worthy Hotel]

"Okay, okay", the bandaged man mumbles, not resisting Hazel's push. "Did you and your wife have some kind of secret phrase for situations like this? Not that I'm opposed to just proclaiming "I bring a message from the ghost of your wife"! It'd be worth it just to see her face."

He doesn't stay in place waiting for the answer. Hazel may as well tell him while he's on the move. He walks across the street and navigates through the crowd of hotel patrons until he get his turn at the check-in counter. "Hello. I have a message to a woman who said she's staying here. Her name's... hold on..." He snaps his fingers, as if struggling to remember who he's looking for. It's also a cue for Hazel to whisper him any missing details.

28. - Top - End - #1138
    Ogre in the Playground

[Searching for Truth]

"I mean, I can lose a few inches, but I'm pretty stuck as a moderately sized humanoid female." Unless Tauron's gone nuts with adding extra features lately. "But an exotic, foreign dancer? Now that I can do," Ilpholin says as her clothes start to shift from construction duds to soft silks. Sheer purple and pinks that are see-through in many areas and nearly so in others start to wrap her form, tied to her wrists and ankles, but baring a lot of arm, leg, and belly. Her body shifts to match, losing those obvious construction muscles and rough patches to become soft and shapely, an inviting feminine figure who kills more with swaying hips than any force of arms. Her skin takes on a lightly tanned tone and a snake tattoo slithers up her back.

"Oh... uh... are you going to be able to get dressed for this role? If you can't dance, maybe you own me? Skyside still permits slaves, right?" Ilpholin's been around enough drow slaves to play the part, even if she never truly understood their plight and misery.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

29. - Top - End - #1139

Mina's Manor

Mina crosses her arms dramatically.
    "Yeah, they already turned me into a cow-person and messed with your magic to make sure I stick to this whole grand demon-averting destiny thing, you probably don't want to risk the bureaucracy turning on you. You might wake up mortal like Sai or something." she warns the intruder. She can clearly go wherever she wants so Mina and Sai are going to have to convince her to leave the normal way.
    Mina's Manor

"Oh! So you lied!" The figure declares with a sudden laugh. "Someone is already playing around with your life, huh? Should have figured that out sooner." Despite only seeing this persons eyes they get the feeling that she's grinning now. "But we're big boys and girls so I'm sure we can play together." The eyes turn to Mina. "Cow demon-hunting destiny, huh? I can work with that. In fact, you're not even the first cow-person I've worked with." The figure steps closer to her. "So tell me about these demons. Since I can help you here, promise! You do sound pretty pissed at these guys so why not let me help out?"
    [Mina's Manor]

Sai can only shake his head again. This was Mina's choice to make, really. He just needs to be ready to get out of the way if things go badly.

Near the Trust-Worthy Hotel

It's a good-looking hotel, four storeys and in a good position to have good customers, not far from one of the Skyside's busier air-docks. It's shabby enough that it looks as though it's reasonably priced, with the odd broken window, graffitied wall and overflowing bin. At about dawn, it's reasonably busy as guests check out and leave. Hopefully, they've not missed Hana in the crowd- or else she's hired a room for longer than one night, and so will be back.
    [Trust-Worthy Hotel]

"Okay, okay", the bandaged man mumbles, not resisting Hazel's push. "Did you and your wife have some kind of secret phrase for situations like this? Not that I'm opposed to just proclaiming "I bring a message from the ghost of your wife"! It'd be worth it just to see her face."

He doesn't stay in place waiting for the answer. Hazel may as well tell him while he's on the move. He walks across the street and navigates through the crowd of hotel patrons until he get his turn at the check-in counter. "Hello. I have a message to a woman who said she's staying here. Her name's... hold on..." He snaps his fingers, as if struggling to remember who he's looking for. It's also a cue for Hazel to whisper him any missing details.
    [Trust-Worthy Hotel]

"Not as such, no." Hazel replies with a shrug. In retrospect, that seemed like a huge oversight, given their shared profession. "But dere are a few tings about us dat only I would know. If she gives ya any trouble, I could help ya prove it's me." She taps her chin in thought. "If nothin' else, ya could tell her ya know what we did in da changing rooms at Royals'."

"...Dat was our first kiss, ya pervert." She adds, when she realizes what that sounds like. "We were buyin' matchin' dresses for a thing at da Academy. Got to realizin' how pretty we looked to eachoddeh. Da rest is historeh."

Hazel will follow Sandels into the building and let him introduce himself. On realizing he doesn't have a name to give the receptionists, she whispers one in his ear. "Hana. Hana Jane Reeverman."

Warehouse

The Amazon nods and walks over to Abby's cage, where she's leaning against the back of her cramped box and sighs as she sees Hana's OK. "A friend, hmm? More than a friend, way she looks at you. Doesn't look much like a gladiator, though." She reaches in and grabs Abby's face, moving it around. She pulls the sticker off Abby's chest. "What do you think? Do you want to be a gladiator, girl? Could you kill somebody, if you had to?"
    Abby gulps and nods slightly. "There's... there's people I'd like the chance to kill, mistress. Um. I am a trained masseuse, mistress. I'm sure some of your gladiators would appreciate that, if nothing else."
    The Amazon smiles. "Good. Dead gladiators don't earn money, you want to hurt them so they can't fight back but killing them is generally unprofitable." Sometimes, with high enough bets and plenty of gambling going on, it can be worth killing a gladiator or two.
    [Warehouse]

Why does everyone keep saying that? Hana can't help but wonder. Sure, Abbi seems to be a bit attached to her, but who wouldn't be under these circumstances? Plus, she's married. No more "more than friends" for her, thanks.

Still. That won't exactly stop her from giving Abbi a relieved hug if and when the Amazon chooses to release her. It's certainly not stopping her from holding her breath while she waits for a verdict. And it most definitely didn't stop her from worrying about how she was going to get Abbi out when she first pulled out of her shredders.

Oh, right.

Hana looks down at her mutilated hands and grimaces. They don't exactly feel good with cold air running over them, whipping over every fresh wound like... well, a whip. But that was treatable. She'd just have to grin and bear it for now.

GIRLS Main Floor --> Street of Slavers

Magoo meets Korvin's eyes, looking absolutely terrified, as her head is tilted back. She nods and then freezes as she feels the tingle of the glove starting to affect her skin, and gulps.
    "I will keep you in mind, if you tell me how to find you. This was... a slight emergency. Normally they go straight to the warehouse, so the Doctor can pick up the next subjects for the process. A few more should be decanted next week, girls and boys both." She doesn't know for sure what they are besides that, since Doctor Master is the main person responsible for maintaining the vats and keeping track of progress.

Outside, it's quite early so the street is rather empty, though there's still conspicuous guards. There's always conspicuous guards on the Street of Slavers, to prevent slaves from thinking they've got a chance of escaping. Opposite, there's a shop advertising men, there's the blank, hostile-looking concrete slab that is the Skyside Orphanage, there's a pet shop down the road and another shop specialising in exotic slaves.

Sammi won't be going, due to her blindness, but Fifi does bring along help- Makaru, the kor. They don't arrive immediately, though inform Korvin they're on their way, which is probably lucky as Magoo doesn't actually take the bait. Even with the shove, which made her stumble, and the distance between them; she tries to keep the distance, but doesn't know where they're going and doesn't want to run here.
    [Street of Slavers]

Fortunately, Korvin doesn't have to really have a destination in mind. He'll get Magoo away from the shop, and from there effectively wander until Fifi and Makaru catch up with them. He's going to pretend not to notice them until they actually confront him, well out of view of the shops and the accompanying guards.

[Black Abyss Body Shop]

"Noted." All of the mecha-zombies are due for a software and hardware update it seems. Raven won't allow some... Vanilla Spice to derail her plans for world domination. P-plus, if Rose likes the way Raven smells with it, she should wear it more often. That'll necessitate the update.

Bruce keeps Rose company in the event she requires anything else for her injuries, standing dutifully out of the way, but close enough to be a presence.

Rose needn't worry about slipping out by the time the sun arrives. It'll take Raven the rest of the night to reassemble the hotbox she thoroughly disassembled already. Fortunately Raven has taken very detailed notes about what she did to get the box in the pieces it's in. It's really only a matter of going backwards! Mostly. There's only one or two things she improvises along the way. It's probably no big deal.

At the end of it all, Rose gets her hotbox back with one major change... the Raven Ebondark decal the catgirl added on the side for flavor. Does the dark empress just have decals of herself hiding in her desk or something? Either way Raven hands it over after a night of absolutely zero sleep. She won't stop Rose from excusing herself if she wants to step out though. After all, Rose has a hotel to manage.
    [Black Abyss Body Shop]

Naturally, Rose does slip out almost as soon as she gets the Hotbox back; she only stops long enough to do a test run to ensure it's still working, which doubles as a way for her to replenish her wardrobe. She'll gather her old clothes from the floor (most of them, at least; she can't seem to find her other sock) and flush them, giving Raven an affectionate peck on the forehead on her way out.

...And that'll be the last Raven will hear from her until around noon that day, when she'll recieve a delivery from a "floral shop" (in reality a transparent mafia front, though they do actually sell flowers), consisting of two dozen roses; eight yellow, eight orange, eight black. If Raven is at all familiar with the language of flowers, she'll recognize them as symbolizing friendship, passion, and mourning respectively, and that twenty-four roses were supposed to represent "thinking of you always", as in, twenty-four hours a day. If not, she'll probably still get to enjoy the tigrine color palette, at least.

The flowers will come with a note, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Rose's Letter
    Hey, Raven.
    I think it's only fair to tell you that I'll be leaving Skyside for a while. This place isn't quite what I thought it would be, and staying for too long would be bad for my health. It could be some time before I end up coming back.

But don't think for one moment that I'm going back on my promise! If you need me for anything, and I do mean anything♡, I'm only one call away. Well, one call plus a shuttle ride. And I don't want you waiting up on me, either. The future Empress of the Nexus is a busy job, right? I want to see a crown on that pretty head of yours by the time I get back!

Yours always,
    -Rose

PS: Saved you a kiss. Don't use it all up at once!
    She has, indeed, left a lip-shaped mark on the paper, with her phone number scribbled redundantly next to it.

"Hey, lady." The delivery man will turn a clipboard over to Raven before leaving. "Need you to sign off that these arrived safe 'n sound."

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

30. - Top - End - #1140
    Ogre in the Playground

Mina's Manor

Mina seems a little bit unnerved by this proposition.
    "Miss, I don't know anything about these demons besides that they killed my last incarnation and I'm supposed to stop them if they pop up again. And really, I don't think you have to work with it at all. I think I'm really rather done with people doing crazy magic stuff to me without telling me first. You don't have to do anything, thanks for offering." It sounds like she wants to mess with the celestial bureaucrats, which Mina thinks they probably deserve. But it doesn't sound like there's any way that happens without her and Sai getting caught in the middle, which she really doesn't think sounds appealing.