New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Skyside 7: The Big Pizza in the Sky

Intruder's Lair

iWear stomps on the hatch once more, before flying off again. She'll be back before half an hour has passed, accompanied by a collection of thugs from the local gang, armed with guns and Molotov cocktails. They'll go to the nearest door and start pounding on it with sledgehammers, whilst iWear hovers up behind them, ready to fire her crude flamethrowers into the warehouse once the door is open.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

2. - Top - End - #122
    Troll in the Playground

Intruder's Lair

The door can be broken down easily enough. The structure beyond is briefly illuminated by the blast from the flamethrowers. Inside, the warehouse is decrepit and crumbling, a fitting lair for a monster. The thugs look uneasy. They know something dangerous lives here. They don't know what.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

3. - Top - End - #123
    Orc in the Playground

Intruder's Lair

"Go on, throw your bottles in there, set the place alight! This thing doesn't like heat, so let's burn this place to the ground!" iWear knows the thing is a nanite cloud, but won't tell the gangers that- she doesn't think it'll calm them down, and quite likes them scared. If they panic and run, they're less likely to try betraying her to steal her own tech. She doesn't want to set them on fire, she doesn't know if she's got enough fire to deal with the intruder that stole her tech. "Come on, do what I pay you for! Or do I have to get the Boiler Blokes, they won't chicken out from a little darkness!"

4. - Top - End - #124
    Troll in the Playground

Intruder's Lair

A bunch of molotov cocktails are thrown, and a gasoline fire begins to spread throughout the entrance to the decrepit warehouse. The firelight flickers through the building, illuminating strange, twisted shapes impossible to identify in the gloom. And then there's the laughing, the sound of a million voices mocking the attempt all as one. "Oh, that's rich. You didn't even bother to aim." A bolt of red energy arcs out of the darkness beyond the flames and strikes one of the thugs dead in the center of his mass, burning a hole clean through him. As he collapses, the other thugs start to look very panicked and likely to flee.

My Nexus characters

5. - Top - End - #125
    Orc in the Playground

Intruder's Lair

"Oh, it talks. What a surprise. You stole some of my tech, and didn't die when I activated my failsafe. You'll either give me reparations, or die." She keeps her eyes on the warehouse as she addresses the thugs- or their leader, at least, if he's alive. "If you run now, you won't get the battery- and I'll take my money back, too! Cowards, burn it out!" Granted, they might need to aim their petrol bombs better for that to work properly, but hopefully they'll manage to do something.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Troll in the Playground

Intruder's Lair

"We'd like to see you try. Even with those fancy new toys, you can't kill us. Your devices are crude, compared to our elegance. Crude, but effective."
    The warehouse is pretty big, and made from concrete and metal, hardly good materials to burn. It's unlikely that even with good aim, the thugs will be able to burn the creature(s?) out.
    "If you want your tech back, come in here and take it. Or are you... scared?"

My Nexus characters

7. - Top - End - #127
    Orc in the Playground

Intruder's Lair

"You think I'm scared? Of a little dark? You don't know me, you cloud of pathetic dust-bots." iWear grins and flickers through several vision modes on her goggles, thermographic then traditional green night vision and finally a blue-tinged electromagnetic vision, picking up the magnetic fields generated by electrical devices and people. She's hoping it will help pick out the nanites, but really it's guesswork, and she strides into the dark. The vision mode she's using is once again quite a new innovation, and I don't know if a cloud of nanites would generate a notable electromagnetic field.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Troll in the Playground

Intruder's Lair

The entire building is full of electromagnetic fields.
    They're flowing through the walls, the floor the ceiling. Hidden within rusted shipping crates are huge machines, constantly running.
    There's no verbal response, rather a grating, high-pitched, mechanical noise that sends the thugs reeling and grabbing their ears. "Well then. Care for a rematch? Come on in."

My Nexus characters

9. - Top - End - #129
    Orc in the Playground

Intruder's Lair

Well, that's both useful and unhelpful. Regardless, iWear strides into the warehouse. "I'm in. You gonna come out and say hi, or stay hiding, in... pretty much everything, I think. Fetch petrol, oil, straw, wood anything! This place won't burn on it's own!" She shouts over her shoulder, and hopes the thugs will do as she asks. She doesn't expect it, though. Chances are, they'll run and hide like the cowards they are.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Troll in the Playground

Intruder's Lair

"You might want to check again before sending in your grunts."
    They're gone. This thing isn't worth the pay.
    One of the machines in the warehouse moves. Another blast of red energy arcs out of it towards iWear.
    "How about you just die, instead of making ridiculous demands."

My Nexus characters

11. - Top - End - #131
    Orc in the Playground

Intruder's Lair

The villain doesn't say anything as the red light is blasted towards her, activating her boots to jump over it before sending a quick blast of flame in the direction it came from. She lands a bit hard and off-balance, the flamethrowers- being repurposed jets- have more recoil than the lasers she usually uses, and she's not yet familiar enough with them to start compensating. She toggles quickly through her other visual methods before settling back on electromagnetism, just to see if there's any unusual thermal heat signatures nearby or movement.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Troll in the Playground

Intruder's Lair

The flames spread across one of the cargo containers, revealing narrow holes cut into it. The mechanism inside is badly scorched, but it doesn't lose cohesion. It doesn't seem that this particular trap is made of nanites. Something drops down out of the ceiling behind iWear.
    "Looking for us?"
    A pitch-black sword slashes at her neck. The nanites aren't even trying to appear human now, just a shifting mass of spikes and blades.

My Nexus characters

13. - Top - End - #133
    Orc in the Playground

Intruder's Lair

Small motion sensors in the back of iWear's goggles alert her to the movement behind her, so she is able to duck and dive, escaping the attempted decapitation. She rolls at the end of the dive and washes the area where she'd just come from with flames from her left flamethrower, keeping her right one ready as she glances around to see if there's any more movement. Maybe seeking vengeance wasn't the smartest idea, and maybe she should have rounded up some more villains and heroes that use tech to back her up. Those thugs are getting nothing except a fly-by visit later with her lasers, if she gets out of here, so that plan failed.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Troll in the Playground

Intruder's Lair

The creature is already gone before iWear fires, not staying in place long enough to give her a clear shot. It dodges away deeper into the warehouse, trying to draw iWear further in as she attempts to kill it. Then, while she's distracted fighting it, a steel blast door falls over the door she blasted in and locks in place, sealing both of them inside the warehouse.

My Nexus characters

15. - Top - End - #135
    Orc in the Playground

Intruder's Lair

Ugh, this thing can move quickly. She isn't sure where it's gone, and this place is far scarier than she was expecting. The blast door slams shut, and iWear blasts her rocket boots over to it to try and force it open. She didn't bring a crowbar or anything, and she's a little worried about things now.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Troll in the Playground

Intruder's Lair

"You locked us in and tried to destroy us. Now it's time for us to return the favor."
    The blast door is reinforced steel, very difficult to bend or break with human strength, even assisted by the rocket boots.
    An energy blast scorches the wall beside iWear.
    "You are but human. We are transcendent."

My Nexus characters

17. - Top - End - #137
    Orc in the Playground

Intruder's Lair

"You broke into my house, destroyed my gear and tried to kill me. Locking you in and trying to blow you up was justified." Which, uh, works against iWear, she realises now. Too late to take it back now, though.

She does stand with the door to her back now, though. Theoretically she won't be able to be surprised by the nanites turning up behind her this way, but she's not really accounting for the size of the microscopic robots. If she sees movement she'll blast flame in that direction.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Troll in the Playground

Intruder's Lair

"Human beings. So shortsighted."
    The nanites don't attack. Yet.
    "We give you a choice. Transcendence or death."
    iWear may have a third option in mind. Or she might want to learn more first.

My Nexus characters

19. - Top - End - #139
    Orc in the Playground

Intruder's Lair

"Transcendence how? Download my brain into your swarm? I don't want to lose who I am." She'll lose a quick burst of fire into the room, just to show she still can, but... she's got quite a limited supply of fuel, so she can't really afford to do that too much.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Troll in the Playground

Intruder's Lair

"To rise beyond the petty concerns of mortal flesh. To become one with the technology you claim to wield. Immortality. Invincibility." To some, that would be a tempting offer. But it does come at a cost. The loss of humanity, of the corporeal form. The death of yourself and loss of your soul, if you believe in such things. And the entity here doesn't seem entirely sane either. How maddening must it be, to have your mind and physical form shredded to a billion component parts, each but a tiny sliver of your true self?

My Nexus characters

21. - Top - End - #141
    Orc in the Playground

Intruder's Lair

"I enjoy dressing up and causing havoc with my stuff. Part of why I enjoy that is the fact I can take it off at the end of the day and blend into high society without anyone being any wiser. I 'transcend', I'll lose that ability. I'd be iWear for the rest of my life, and... well, iWear's social life is really boring." She presses the sole of one foot against the blast door, and reaches down to fiddle with the jet- and the latches holding the boot onto her foot. Exactly what she's doing is... honestly questionable, and might not work. And will severely hamper her if it doesn't.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Troll in the Playground

Intruder's Lair

"Paltry concerns. What are humans to immortal demigods? They will die. We will live forever. We are invincible!"
    The nanites flow out of the walls into a roughly human-sized figure in front of iWear. They back slowly away from the flames, but hold out a pseudopod. Nestled inside is a small black object. "Take it. Become more."

My Nexus characters

23. - Top - End - #143
    Orc in the Playground

Intruder's Lair

"Sexy, fun, and eligible to inherit family fortunes." Despite her words, iWear moves to take the pod. Once she's gripped it, she'll squeeze the trigger and activate the flamethrower on that hand to destroy the nanites she can see before rolling away from her boot, which is still stuck to the blast door.

The boot will explode, a directed blast into the door to hopefully create a hole iWear can either escape through or pry wider so she can escape. Ideally it'd blast the door off entirely, but the only explosive she's got is the fuel tank for the jet boots, so that's highly unlikely.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Troll in the Playground

Intruder's Lair

The capsule is cold to the touch and slightly rough, but looks like a solid piece of metal.
    The nanites are already beginning to retreat when iWear blasts them with fire. Blobs of destroyed material drip off them.
    "Fool. You will pay for this betrayal!"
    The explosion tears the blast door apart. Fresh air wafts in from outside.
    "You will never get another chance. Now you die!"
    The capsule explodes into a swarm of nanites and begins attempting to devour everything it touches, including iWear's gear and her flesh and bone.

My Nexus characters

25. - Top - End - #145
    Orc in the Playground

Intruder's Lair

iWear screams as the nanites explode out of the capsule- held in her closed hand- and start to eat at her body. She holds the affected arm out as far as she can and roasts it with her other hand, the air filling with the scent of burning plastic and cooked meat. Hoping that's done enough for now, she stumbles out through the hole into the sunlight.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Troll in the Playground

Intruder's Lair

Disappointed they didn't get a convert or a kill, the nanites let iWear go.
    They're sure she'll return, either to exact revenge or to beg for a second chance at immortality.
    But they won't be here when it happens.
    By this time tomorrow, the warehouse and everything in it will have disappeared, as if they were never there in the first place.

My Nexus characters

27. - Top - End - #147
    Orc in the Playground

Leaving Intruder's Lair

iWear is not planning on returning. Not today, not tomorrow, not next week. This whole area has been marked on every map she owns as a no-go area. She won't discover the absent warehouse for a while yet, and when she does... Well, it won't reassure her, that's for sure. For now, though, she's got to build a prosthetic hand she can wear to replace the charred and ruined stump of her right arm.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Bugbear in the Playground

[open-for-whatever scene]

The slave trader shouts at the orc woman and pounds his fist on the counter. She promised them mermaids! Not only does this caravan batch not have any mermaids, it has even fewer products than usual!

Gharol is very frustrated.
    Obviously.
    She seethes. It was Mr. Shades's responsibility to do the deliveries. "Apologies," she says. "Our former employee joined forces with a witch and a demon to steal all our product. He will never have the chance to do this again." From her tone, she implies he was killed for his betrayal but, in truth, after interrogating one of the bodyguards, the witch – who they hired as a bodyguard – caused a revolt among their other hires, turning them all against each other. And her hellhound familiar, and also some kind of demon she summoned, crushed all resistance and stole away their product for who-knows-what-reason. And that coward Mr. Shades ran off with his tail between his legs like the sniveling dog that he is.

She's a supervisor, dangit! Not a caravan leader! And yet here she is, demeaning herself to actually interact with the sellers! She needs to be back in that city, trying to infiltrate the Underground Magic Pet Fighting Ring! The black market magical animal guilds have been crowding out slave trade and reducing demand and forcing them to make riskier plays. Not to mention! The resthouse-safehouse halfway to Skyside has been destroyed by some kind of mechanical dinosaur! When things go wrong, they all go wrong at once.

Gharol pinches her nose. "Look. We both know you have backup surgeries and magic that can turn people into mermaids. We're willing to take a loss on this deal, so we'll pay for their use. Not to mention, we got a lot of natural redheads and blondes: we know one of your regulars has a thing for those."

The musclebound orclady smirks: "Plus! We caught a batgirl. Adult. You already know that they're rare, but they're also as hard to catch as harpies. Lots of uses. Find the right buyer..." She leaves the rest unsaid.
    Last edited by 5a Violista; 2021-05-27 at 11:38 AM.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deathkeeper View Post
    Manor Lab

Anri takes a deep breath. She tries to focus, but at the moment even she would admit she's not terribly experienced with her powers.
    "I've only twisted one wish and it was because they used their first to force me to drug myself. But it did happen and not entirely by my own intention. I have nothing but gratitude for your efforts, Norael. But if you wish to be specific just in case, I won't hold it against you." Anri explains calmly. She wishes she had thought of the pony thing on her own, but it must have come from her subconscious.
    There's also a bit of a lie; she does find Nora more than a little...odd. Enough to not want to work here, not enough for her to really judge Nora personally. Not that it's what she thought ten minutes ago but hey, being able to breathe has vastly improved her mood.
    Manor Lab

"By Atom that's terrible. I do hope whomever wished for that got what was coming for them afterward. I only ever hear about that sort of thing as dark gossip, so I'm glad you came out okay."
    Norael says, entirely sincere and disgusted by such a wish being used in that way. Still, she had her own matters to attend to at the moment and had already considered how to carefully word her wish. "Right. So. Anri... She takes a deep breath to settle herself and lets it out in a long sigh. Even with Anri's assurances, this sort of thing still felt incredibly risky. "I wish to have a mouth and throat suited to my body's physiology and biological processes." It was a risky wish, given she wasn't entirely sure if her body had biological processes, but the clarification should at least be enough to allow something useful.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

Manor Lab

Anri winces.
    ”Well...yes, but my retribution is what got me into this mess to begin with.” It’s a complex memory. She savors the feeling of retribution but it probably would have been better if she had just granted the wish and left.
    But Norael makes her wish and Anri just...hiccups?
    Norael’s face forms a mouth much like it did momentarily before. Only this time for good and with less blood.
    Now Nora doesn’t have biological processes that a human does but she is still humanoid so the basic structure checks out. Mouth, throat, inner parts. Of course Nora’s core is now well, something along the lines of a nuclear reactor or something the last section is a bit vague.
    So while the color of her lips and teeth and tongue might be more in line with her supernaturally metallic skin than a human analogue, they certainly do all exist now.
    Time will tell if there’s any safety concerns about there now being a permanent vent for Nora’s nuclear core.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]