New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default (Free) video editor?

I need to edit a MP4 video for a Kickstarter I'm looking at doing in a couple of months. What's a good free editor?
    I need to be able to add a stopwatch/clock function for one or two spots, probably insert a couple of images, and maybe do a few sound effects.

I'm on Win7, but don't seem to have Windows MovieMaker.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: (Free) video editor?

MovieMaker was part of a downloadable pack called Windows Essentials, as I recall, so if you can find an installer for that it might be worth getting it. Although you really ought to consider moving off Windows 7 anyway, considering it's been out of any kind of support for over a year now.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

There's the free DaVinci Resolve here. A review about it here. There are YouTube instructional videos. I've been meaning to get into it as I hope to edit many hours of videos I've filmed over the years. Someday...
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Avakuss for kinem's Planescape: Center of All
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)
    Ganzak for Toliudar's Coming Unstuck

Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Lightworks (https://www.lwks.com) can operate on a rolling (ie, automatically renewing) 1-week free licence. Obviously with some limits to the functionallity - mostly the final generation options are limited, but I was able to do subtitling, split screen, chroma key (aka green screen) and quite a few other things. I used it that way for several months while I was experimenting with it, and licenced it once I started producing "proper" videos.

If you want something really basic, the Photos application that comes with Windows 10 has some basic video editing facilities that are good enough for simple videos. (EDIT: It also requires windows 10 rather than 7... Missed that bit of the post...)
    Last edited by Manga Shoggoth; 2021-02-18 at 11:50 AM.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

5. - Top - End - #5

Maybe try Kdenlive?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I've *heard* of people using Blender for straight up video editing. I personally need to try that out to see how functional and user friendly that is, though.
    I have my own TV show featuring local musicians performing live. YouTube page with full episodes and outtake clips here.
    I also have another YouTube page with local live music clips I've filmed on my own.
    Then there is my gaming YouTube page with Kerbal Space Program, Minecraft, and others.
    Finally, I stream on Twitch, mostly Kerbal Space Program and Minecraft.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

I haven't been able to find a working MovieMaker install.
    DaVinci doesn't support Win7.

I have KDenlive installed, and can't seem to get beyond importing the clip. It won't play, it won't rotate, it won't do sound. Giving up for now after spending half an hour on it. Not sure why it's so hard to do something basic like "Fix the fact that the program imported a landscape video as portrait."

Maybe I'll just do without editing entirely.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

I have pleasant but very limited experiences with Shotcut. No idea if it does what you want to do. But it seems like a nice, stable and complete program.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by J-H View Post
    DaVinci doesn't support Win7.
    I have ver 16 installed on my Win7 PC and it opens. I just have no idea what I'm doing within it yet.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Avakuss for kinem's Planescape: Center of All
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)
    Ganzak for Toliudar's Coming Unstuck

Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

10. - Top - End - #10

Avidemux is good for simple operations like editing parts out or cropping the picture. It can also edit things in and replace the sound with outside tracks, but these are both a bit fiddly (there is, for example, an error where things edited in will be appended to the end and then have to be cut and pasted to their proper location)
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2021-02-22 at 04:03 PM.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)