New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: LGBTAIitp Part 60: Still Going Strong

Quote Originally Posted by ArlEammon View Post
    My internal homophobia is very bad right now. And I really hate myself atm. It's worse for me because it's Pride Month and I feel like a total loser.
    Quote Originally Posted by TaiLiu View Post
    Definitely don't feel like it's your fault. We live in homophobic societies, so it's difficult not to internalize it. It's definitely hard work to change it and keep it changed.
    Yes. This is a difficult thing, and it's not our fault for feeling internalized shameful feelings.

The fact that you're(ArlEammon) recognizing them for what they are is really good. For me, it was so much worse when I just took those shameful feelings for granted as "normal."
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    where is the atropal? and does it have a listed LA?

2. - Top - End - #392
    Ogre in the Playground

Just wanted to say that it helps having people to talk to even though this is all frustrating for me, so thank you everyone who's answered, and people who've been reading and not answering, too :)

My diabetes itself is going well and I'm hopeful the next results will be good. The test is done every three months because that's how long red blood cells live, and that gives a snapshot of the level of blood sugar over that period. So taking a blood test too soon could give poor results just because it would include all the time I didn't know I had diabetes and my blood sugar was super high. My next test should be in August, but it's possible I would be able to call for appointments until September as some places don't schedule during summer (except for life-threatening emergencies). I'll be sure to let you know.

Happy Pride Month to everyone and hugs to those who want them!

3. - Top - End - #393
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lissou View Post
    Just wanted to say that it helps having people to talk to even though this is all frustrating for me, so thank you everyone who's answered, and people who've been reading and not answering, too :)

My diabetes itself is going well and I'm hopeful the next results will be good. The test is done every three months because that's how long red blood cells live, and that gives a snapshot of the level of blood sugar over that period. So taking a blood test too soon could give poor results just because it would include all the time I didn't know I had diabetes and my blood sugar was super high. My next test should be in August, but it's possible I would be able to call for appointments until September as some places don't schedule during summer (except for life-threatening emergencies). I'll be sure to let you know.

Happy Pride Month to everyone and hugs to those who want them!
    Can you schedule your surgery anyway, and cancel if it turns out your blood sugar levels aren't right? Or do you need to be cleared by a doctor before you can even make an appointment?

4. - Top - End - #394
    Bugbear in the Playground

Comic con was pretty fun. Got to attend a couple of celebrity guest panels (William Shatner and the actors who played the Weasley twins) and met a lot of awesome people. I think my Pokémon trainer cosplay was probably the better of the two though.
    LGBTitp

5. - Top - End - #395
    Ogre in the Playground

Can you schedule your surgery anyway, and cancel if it turns out your blood sugar levels aren't right? Or do you need to be cleared by a doctor before you can even make an appointment?
    They're requiring the results before they schedule the appointment, unfortunately, otherwise I would definitely have done it that way!

6. - Top - End - #396
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm feeling the effects of losing passively supportive Reddit communities. Since I don't want to even browse Reddit until and unless they make some more major and positive concessions...

Does anyone have recommendations for good alternatives to Reddit for support communities that don't have anything like giantitp's no politics rule? Lots of the stuff I've been anxious about lately has been very political.

7. - Top - End - #397
    Titan in the Playground

I think the blackout is only two days, so you should be able to go back to all the subs you frequent on Wednesday.

8. - Top - End - #398
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    I think the blackout is only two days, so you should be able to go back to all the subs you frequent on Wednesday.
    Okay. But I said that I won't be going back to Reddit unless and until significant progress is made. It's not just about the blackout actions taken by moderators of subreddits.

9. - Top - End - #399
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dire Moose View Post
    Comic con was pretty fun. Got to attend a couple of celebrity guest panels (William Shatner and the actors who played the Weasley twins) and met a lot of awesome people. I think my Pokémon trainer cosplay was probably the better of the two though.
    Glad to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by Lissou View Post
    They're requiring the results before they schedule the appointment, unfortunately, otherwise I would definitely have done it that way!
    Dang, that sucks. It'd save everyone so much time if you could queue up in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by gomipile View Post
    I'm feeling the effects of losing passively supportive Reddit communities. Since I don't want to even browse Reddit until and unless they make some more major and positive concessions...

Does anyone have recommendations for good alternatives to Reddit for support communities that don't have anything like giantitp's no politics rule? Lots of the stuff I've been anxious about lately has been very political.
    Maybe see if your local LGBTQ organization runs support groups.

10. - Top - End - #400
    Ogre in the Playground

Let's talk about a retail worker who is the only person working in the store for their shift. What would you consider to be appropriate responses for that worker to make when customers make the worker angry by using slurs in conversation?

11. - Top - End - #401
    Troll in the Playground

As someone who's been in that situation; refuse to serve the customers unless they apologise.

Although that would depend on a bunch of factors like seniority and job security.
    Last edited by BisectedBrioche; 2023-06-20 at 07:25 AM.
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

12. - Top - End - #402
    Titan in the Playground

Let's talk about a retail worker who is the only person working in the store for their shift. What would you consider to be appropriate responses for that worker to make when customers make the worker angry by using slurs in conversation?
    Wow. No advice, since I'm terrible with this kinda stuff. But if that's happening to you or someone you know, I'm very sorry. That's an awful thing to deal with.

13. - Top - End - #403
    Ogre in the Playground

I phrased it very generally, but yes, this is a situation I'm dealing with myself. I am a retail employee.

I've reacted angrily to some customers using transphobic slurs in a hateful manner. They've not been aiming the slurs at me, but they are saying them while talking to me.

Nearly everyone I meet assumes I'm a cishet male. The attitude of these customers is that they think I'm going to be amused by their transphobic "jokes."

14. - Top - End - #404
    Titan in the Playground

I phrased it very generally, but yes, this is a situation I'm dealing with myself. I am a retail employee.

I've reacted angrily to some customers using transphobic slurs in a hateful manner. They've not been aiming the slurs at me, but they are saying them while talking to me.

Nearly everyone I meet assumes I'm a cishet male. The attitude of these customers is that they think I'm going to be amused by their transphobic "jokes."
    Wow. I'm sorry. That must be deeply unpleasant to deal with. I'd be upset, too.

15. - Top - End - #405
    Ogre in the Playground

Wow. I'm sorry. That must be deeply unpleasant to deal with. I'd be upset, too.
    It's... a whole thing.

It looks like I'm not going to lose my job over it, but it seems like that's mostly because I get paid less than they'd have to offer to replace me.

I'm stepping up my job search to get out of retail. I've been in it a few years now, and I think that's more than enough if I can help it.

16. - Top - End - #406
    Titan in the Playground

It's... a whole thing.

It looks like I'm not going to lose my job over it, but it seems like that's mostly because I get paid less than they'd have to offer to replace me.

I'm stepping up my job search to get out of retail. I've been in it a few years now, and I think that's more than enough if I can help it.
    Good luck. I hope you get out soon.

17. - Top - End - #407
    Bugbear in the Playground

I have some happy news – I had top surgery last week! Everything went well and it's all healing nicely so far. I've waited so long for this (close to 10 years!), and now that it's done it still feels kind of unreal. Like it hasn't completely sunk in that it actually happened. And I still have to wear a compression vest for a few weeks, so it doesn't actually feel all that different to when I was binding before (though the post-surgery binder is more comfortable, which is good because I have to wear it all day long, including at night. I only get to take it off to shower and to change the wound dressings).
    But it's strange, I expected to feel very happy, and/or relieved it's done, but instead I just feel... content? I'm definitely not unhappy and I don't regret it at all, I am very glad I had this surgery, but I don't feel any of the euphoria that a lot of other trans people describe after surgery. Maybe because it still feels kind of dreamy and to be fair, my chest doesn't look great yet (still some bruising and swelling, and not fully healed incisions, but nothing that looks concerning at this time), so it's probably normal to not be overjoyed. But I do feel content, and at ease. And I think that's good enough.
    You can call me Juniper. Please use gender-neutral pronouns (ze/hir (preferred) or they/them) when referring to me.

"We all are vessels of our brokenness, we carry it inside us like water, careful not to spill. And what is wholeness if not brokenness encompassed in acceptance, the warmth of its power a shield against those who would hurt us?" - R. Lemberg, Geometries of Belonging

Stories Art

18. - Top - End - #408
    Ogre in the Playground

Congratulations, I'm so happy for you :D

19. - Top - End - #409
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lycunadari View Post
    I have some happy news – I had top surgery last week! Everything went well and it's all healing nicely so far. I've waited so long for this (close to 10 years!), and now that it's done it still feels kind of unreal. Like it hasn't completely sunk in that it actually happened. And I still have to wear a compression vest for a few weeks, so it doesn't actually feel all that different to when I was binding before (though the post-surgery binder is more comfortable, which is good because I have to wear it all day long, including at night. I only get to take it off to shower and to change the wound dressings).
    But it's strange, I expected to feel very happy, and/or relieved it's done, but instead I just feel... content? I'm definitely not unhappy and I don't regret it at all, I am very glad I had this surgery, but I don't feel any of the euphoria that a lot of other trans people describe after surgery. Maybe because it still feels kind of dreamy and to be fair, my chest doesn't look great yet (still some bruising and swelling, and not fully healed incisions, but nothing that looks concerning at this time), so it's probably normal to not be overjoyed. But I do feel content, and at ease. And I think that's good enough.
    Yay, congrats! That's amazing!

20. - Top - End - #410
    Titan in the Playground

Today I watched an thirty second anti-trans ad. Nothing unexpected: regretful detransitioners, parents worried about their kids, complaints about free speech.

I wonder how much influence this ad campaign will have on transphobia and trans people. It's a little concerning.

21. - Top - End - #411
    Troll in the Playground

Today I watched an thirty second anti-trans ad. Nothing unexpected: regretful detransitioners, parents worried about their kids, complaints about free speech.

I wonder how much influence this ad campaign will have on transphobia and trans people. It's a little concerning.
    Probably quite a bit. People without any experience with trans people are probably likely to take such an ad at face value.

I'd call this more than a little concerning, especially in the light of the heaps of anti-trans legislation getting passed in the US.

At this point all I feel I can do is hope that this stuff doesn't catch on in Europe, but I'm seeing the first signs of similar extremists in our local politics. They don't seem to be getting as much traction at least.
    Last edited by DeTess; 2023-07-01 at 12:32 AM.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

22. - Top - End - #412
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DeTess View Post
    Probably quite a bit. People without any experience with trans people are probably likely to take such an ad at face value.

I'd call this more than a little concerning, especially in the light of the heaps of anti-trans legislation getting passed in the US.

At this point all I feel I can do is hope that this stuff doesn't catch on in Europe, but I'm seeing the first signs of similar extremists in our local politics. They don't seem to be getting as much traction at least.
    You're probably right, though I hope you're not.

I feel like things are better for trans people than a decade ago. In the past, such an ad might not have been necessary cuz it's what the general public thought. Now maybe they need an ad campaign to keep up the bigotry.

23. - Top - End - #413
    Titan in the Playground

You're probably right, though I hope you're not.

I feel like things are better for trans people than a decade ago. In the past, such an ad might not have been necessary cuz it's what the general public thought. Now maybe they need an ad campaign to keep up the bigotry.
    We can only hope it doesn’t work. But they have a lot of power to broadcast to a lot of people who are becoming more polarized on other issues that they are making related to trans issues.

We can only hope it is a final fervor before the end of their hate and they move on to something else.

And all we can do is combat it by being ourselves.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

Follow me on Twitter!

24. - Top - End - #414
    Titan in the Playground

Advertisements, especially on traditional media, don't really exist to convert new "conscripts" but to harden existing believers. I would expect the knock-on effect to an anti-trans ad would be that most people ignore it, some on the fence fall over one way or another, and those who already believe the rhetoric will have been armed with "facts" to throw out to people in order to justify their bigotry.

Given that I think "the fence" has largely disappeared over the last decade or so anyway, this reeks of a "last push". An anti-trans ad isn't HARMLESS by any means, but it's not something to get overly worried about.

25. - Top - End - #415
    Colossus in the Playground

for what it's worth, a number of pro-trans or otherwise pro-LGBT youtubers have noted that a lot of Anti-Trans propaganda adds are being attached to their videos where it's highly unlikely that they'll find a target audience—the people paying for the ads are basically wasting their money.

I don't know the ratio of these adds missing their target like this to popping up in more harmful places, but...
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

26. - Top - End - #416
    Troll in the Playground

I wonder if they're aimed at people who're hate watching. Or maybe in the hope of swaying people who went to the videos looking for more info?

It's also possible that kind of nonsense isn't actually allowed by the platform holders (I'd certainly hope so), so it's not properly tagged because the way it's being smuggled in.
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

27. - Top - End - #417
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lentrax View Post
    We can only hope it doesn’t work. But they have a lot of power to broadcast to a lot of people who are becoming more polarized on other issues that they are making related to trans issues.

We can only hope it is a final fervor before the end of their hate and they move on to something else.

And all we can do is combat it by being ourselves.
    For sure. Being openly trans may help people accept and understand us—or at least tolerate us as part of the world.

Advertisements, especially on traditional media, don't really exist to convert new "conscripts" but to harden existing believers. I would expect the knock-on effect to an anti-trans ad would be that most people ignore it, some on the fence fall over one way or another, and those who already believe the rhetoric will have been armed with "facts" to throw out to people in order to justify their bigotry.

Given that I think "the fence" has largely disappeared over the last decade or so anyway, this reeks of a "last push". An anti-trans ad isn't HARMLESS by any means, but it's not something to get overly worried about.
    That might be right. The company that put it out has a lot of money and is otherwise occupied with other unpleasant activities. What I'm worried about is that this is not gonna be a metaphoric last push. It's just gonna be a continued part of their profile.

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    for what it's worth, a number of pro-trans or otherwise pro-LGBT youtubers have noted that a lot of Anti-Trans propaganda adds are being attached to their videos where it's highly unlikely that they'll find a target audience—the people paying for the ads are basically wasting their money.

I don't know the ratio of these adds missing their target like this to popping up in more harmful places, but...
    Quote Originally Posted by BisectedBrioche View Post
    I wonder if they're aimed at people who're hate watching. Or maybe in the hope of swaying people who went to the videos looking for more info?

It's also possible that kind of nonsense isn't actually allowed by the platform holders (I'd certainly hope so), so it's not properly tagged because the way it's being smuggled in.
    It's also unpleasant to watch. You wanna see this video about elevators? First you gotta deal with thirty seconds of people telling you how awful you are. They're wasting their money, but it still kinda sucks for us.

28. - Top - End - #418
    Titan in the Playground

Can I introduce you to Adblock Plus and Ublock Origin? You'll never need to see it again.

29. - Top - End - #419
    Titan in the Playground

Can I introduce you to Adblock Plus and Ublock Origin? You'll never need to see it again.
    Thanks, I appreciate the recs. I use UBlock Origin on my computer, but I was watching YouTube on my phone. Unfortunately, there's no UO there.

30. - Top - End - #420
    Titan in the Playground

Thanks, I appreciate the recs. I use UBlock Origin on my computer, but I was watching YouTube on my phone. Unfortunately, there's no UO there.
    People keep saying this, but I'm not sure why they believe it. You can absolutely install both on your phone. It doesn't work for the garbage Youtube app but you can just access Youtube via your browser.