New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: LGBTAIitp Part 60: Still Going Strong

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    People keep saying this, but I'm not sure why they believe it. You can absolutely install both on your phone. It doesn't work for the garbage Youtube app but you can just access Youtube via your browser.
    Yeah, I know. I have adblock for my phone's browser. The problem with accessing YouTube through the browser is that the subtitles disappear when you expand the video. I need the subtitles to understand what's being said, so I gotta use the YouTube app. The ads come as a package deal with accessibility, I guess.

2. - Top - End - #422
    Titan in the Playground

Ah, yeah, that's a bigger issue. I typically hit the "Desktop site" toggle for Youtube because the mobile version loses so much functionality (like Shuffle doesn't work on a playlist either). Looks like captions work that way as well.

3. - Top - End - #423
    Titan in the Playground

Ah, yeah, that's a bigger issue. I typically hit the "Desktop site" toggle for Youtube because the mobile version loses so much functionality (like Shuffle doesn't work on a playlist either). Looks like captions work that way as well.
    Oh, for your mobile browser? I never thought about doing that. I may experiment with that and see if it'll preserve the subtitles. I don't think so, but I'll be very thankful if it works.

4. - Top - End - #424
    Titan in the Playground

I tested it out last night and it seemed to work, though the subtitles do take up a huge amount of screen space on mobile.

5. - Top - End - #425
    Titan in the Playground

I tested it out last night and it seemed to work, though the subtitles do take up a huge amount of screen space on mobile.
    Gotcha! Thanks. If they aren't too terribly large, I might watch my videos that way from now on.

Of course, YouTube is now blocking ad-blockers, so this is probably just a temporary solution.

6. - Top - End - #426
    Titan in the Playground

They can try lol, just like others have tried before. It never works for long, because any "anti-block" they put in place can always be circumvented.

7. - Top - End - #427
    Titan in the Playground

They can try lol, just like others have tried before. It never works for long, because any "anti-block" they put in place can always be circumvented.
    I hope you're right. Of course, it's possible that their anti-adblocking tactics will make it so only the technically competent can bypass it. Which will lock out a lotta people.

I experimented with desktop mode on my phone. Unfortunately, it looks like YouTube on my mobile browser bypasses my adblock. Which is too bad, but also my phone's adblock is unrobust compared to something like uBlock Origin.

8. - Top - End - #428
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by TaiLiu View Post
    Today I watched an thirty second anti-trans ad. Nothing unexpected: regretful detransitioners, parents worried about their kids, complaints about free speech.

I wonder how much influence this ad campaign will have on transphobia and trans people. It's a little concerning.
    Two questions, answers welcome from anybody.
    Do you think these concerns are 100% invalid?
    Do you think polarization is increasing?

9. - Top - End - #429
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rydiro View Post
    Two questions, answers welcome from anybody.
    In answer to the second: demonstrably yes. While it's a bit difficult to list direct examples while staying inside board rules, if you've been following LGBT rights issues at all, you'd know that the current explicitly anti-trans pushes are a very recent phenomenon and have been getting increasingly strident as time's passed. Especially in the face of increased public tans acceptance.

As for the first, if you'll permit me to answer a question with another question: do you think the concerns put forward by the anti-gay-rights campaigners of the 80s and 90s were 100% invalid? Because unfortunately this is very much the same playbook being used this time around.
    Last edited by Mx.Silver; 2023-07-10 at 08:45 PM.

10. - Top - End - #430
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Silver View Post
    In answer to the second: demonstrably yes. [...]

As for the first, if you'll permit me to answer a question with another question: do you think the concerns put forward by the anti-gay-rights campaigners of the 80s and 90s were 100% invalid? Because unfortunately this is very much the same playbook being used this time around.
    I barely know anything about 80s/90s politics. And not much about the current campaigns either. I hoped to get a less political, perhaps nuanced viewpoint on the whole range of opinions.
    You know, to lessen polarization a bit.
    Perhaps I didn't phrase my first question very well.
    Last edited by Rydiro; 2023-07-11 at 06:14 AM.

11. - Top - End - #431
    Colossus in the Playground

I barely know anything about 80s/90s politics. And not much about the current campaigns either. I hoped to get a less political, perhaps nuanced viewpoint on the whole range of opinions.
    Perhaps I didn't phrase my first question very well.
    Yeah, urns out that most biggots don't have much in the way of nuance to their opinions and any excuses they use to hold them up fall apart the second you look at them with a critical eye.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

12. - Top - End - #432
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Yeah, urns out that most biggots don't have much in the way of nuance to their opinions and any excuses they use to hold them up fall apart the second you look at them with a critical eye.
    Hence why TERF Prime, author of the Uber popular 'wizard slavery is great' books, refuses to engage with anybody actually trying to debate her.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

13. - Top - End - #433
    Ogre in the Playground

I would suggest probably not using a discussion of anti-trans attack ads as the jumping-off point, in that case
    People commissioning attack ads aren't coming at a topic in a good faith spirit of debate: they're trying to effect change in policy and/or public opinion.

That's the point I was getting at with the answer to your first question: the validity of the "concerns" raised by people commissioning and running attack ads does not typically even matter that much to them, just so long as it could sound vaguely reasonable to someone not informed about the topic.
    If what you want is a more general overview of the state of trans rights movement and the opposition to it, this is not going to be a good place to start.

I will also say that, in general, it's quite difficult to get a comprehensive answer to questions about civil rights issues that isn't in some way political. Civil rights are fundamentally political topics, as are their opposition movements and that is very much the case wrt trans rights.

You're not going to make a difference on that front in a forum thread, I'm afraid. The 'polarization' here is the result of much larger, political, issues.
    It also has a body count attached to it.

tl;dr: if you have questions about trans issues then you'd be best off just asking those straight-out.

14. - Top - End - #434
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

You're not going to make a difference on that front in a forum thread, I'm afraid. The 'polarization' here is the result of much larger, political, issues.
    I like to think that talking to individuals in a mutually understanding way can often make a difference.
    Not that that is an easy thing to do, but yeah.

15. - Top - End - #435
    Titan in the Playground

Problem is, you're not trying to talk down an individual. You're trying to talk down a mob.

Standard mob tactics are divide and conquer. Break into increasingly smaller groups until they all spontaneously realize they're alone.

At that point, maybe you can have the conversation. Until then, busting up large groups is the primary goal.

16. - Top - End - #436
    Ogre in the Playground

Yesterday for the International Nonbinary Day I came out as nonbinary on facebook. I only got a couple comments and a couple private messages, but they were all positive, and two of them (so 50%) mentioned not being surprised, which was nice.

I don't know if the people who didn't respond or react didn't see it, saw it and didn't care, or something else, but if anyone was annoyed, judgemental or whatever, they decided to keep their mouth shut about it, which is nice.

I'm relieved, I didn't know what to expect, especially from some people I've known for upwards of 25 years, so only getting positive reactions is definitely a huge relief.

As for my diabetes, it's getting under control, I don't have a new date right now but I'm using the delay to get in shape and slowly change my wardrobe and presentation to reflect me better without breaking the bank.

17. - Top - End - #437
    Ettin in the Playground

Being mildly sex-averse, having a short temper, and being unable to recognize jokes is a bad combination.

For context, a few months ago, someone jokingly tried to flirt with me* and then I said "no" and they did it again, but phrased more humorously, and then I said something that I... very much regret.

*that's an oversimplification, but not wrong.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

18. - Top - End - #438
    Titan in the Playground

I’m not sure what you mean by “100% invalid” or even what it means for a concern to be valid or invalid. (Logical validity? But that’s a binary thing.)

The second question is an empirical question that requires empirical evidence. I’m unfamiliar with that evidence, so I dunno.

Quote Originally Posted by Lissou View Post
    Yesterday for the International Nonbinary Day I came out as nonbinary on facebook. I only got a couple comments and a couple private messages, but they were all positive, and two of them (so 50%) mentioned not being surprised, which was nice.

I don't know if the people who didn't respond or react didn't see it, saw it and didn't care, or something else, but if anyone was annoyed, judgemental or whatever, they decided to keep their mouth shut about it, which is nice.

I'm relieved, I didn't know what to expect, especially from some people I've known for upwards of 25 years, so only getting positive reactions is definitely a huge relief.

As for my diabetes, it's getting under control, I don't have a new date right now but I'm using the delay to get in shape and slowly change my wardrobe and presentation to reflect me better without breaking the bank.
    Congrats on coming out and glad to hear your diabetes stuff is going well.

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    Being mildly sex-averse, having a short temper, and being unable to recognize jokes is a bad combination.

For context, a few months ago, someone jokingly tried to flirt with me* and then I said "no" and they did it again, but phrased more humorously, and then I said something that I... very much regret.

*that's an oversimplification, but not wrong.
    What did you say? Did you tell them off? Whatever the situation is, sorry you’re in it. It sounds stressful.
    Last edited by TaiLiu; 2023-07-16 at 01:25 AM.

19. - Top - End - #439
    Ettin in the Playground

What did you say? Did you tell them off?
    Spoiler: content warning: really, really hyperbolic accusation
    Show
    I said:
    There's a word for the type of person who tells someone to do something sexual after they have already said "no" and it begins with an R.

We have since both apologized to each other, and now get along decently well (when we interact at all, anyway) but someone else, a friend of his, keeps holding the interaction over my head.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

20. - Top - End - #440
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

In answer to the second: demonstrably yes. While it's a bit difficult to list direct examples while staying inside board rules, if you've been following LGBT rights issues at all, you'd know that the current explicitly anti-trans pushes are a very recent phenomenon and have been getting increasingly strident as time's passed. Especially in the face of increased public tans acceptance.

I think your second answer addresses the first. Or put another way, "same song, second verse." In the 40s and 50s, it was the Communists. In the 60s and 70s, it was the feminists. In the 80s and 90s, it was the gays and lesbians. (And to be fair, that stretched into the 2000s.) Now it's trans people.

Everyone wants to be part of the "crowd," which means there has to be someone who is on the "outside." The exact words may change, but the underlying sentiment stays the same.
    Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

21. - Top - End - #441
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: content warning: really, really hyperbolic accusation
    Show
    I said:

We have since both apologized to each other, and now get along decently well (when we interact at all, anyway) but someone else, a friend of his, keeps holding the interaction over my head.
    Oh, I see. Do you regret it cuz it hurt your friend's feelings? Or cuz your friend's friend is being a real jerk about it? I hope your friend can tell their friend to stop bothering you. You've both forgiven each other.

22. - Top - End - #442
    Ogre in the Playground

I have an appointment with a new surgeon in October to discuss my top surgery. He's been recommended, seems very nice based on videos where he explains different procedures, and is a bit cheaper than some of the other options. As a result even for a first appointment the wait is a bit long (other doctors have availaibilities this month) but I figure it's worth it to get a result I'll be happy with. On top of that, by the appointment my diabetes doctor is confident my diabetes won't get in the way of surgery whatsoever.
    I'm using the time I have beforehand to make sure I'm as healthy as possible, lose a bit of weight and gain a bit of muscle if I can, and refine my project. For instance I've given more thoughts about my nipples, I've decided to keep them but to ask for both a placement and an areola size that are more gender-neutral.

I'll keep you informed. It's always frustrating to wait but it feels good to have a date for the next step.
    Money-wise, I'm still unsure what I'll do, I might crowdfund some of it, but I'm not too worried about it. People spend more on things that don't change their lives for the better as much. If I end up getting in debt for the first time ever, well there is a first time for everything :)

23. - Top - End - #443
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't care about gender, don't understand gender, don't care about "understanding gender", don't understand "caring about gender", but do, slightly, care about "understanding 'caring about gender'."

Based on how many levels of abstraction are needed for "gender" to have any relevence to me, I probably don't have one. I may be wrong, though, and nobody (including myself) will ever know.
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2023-07-26 at 07:32 AM.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

24. - Top - End - #444
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lissou View Post
    I have an appointment with a new surgeon in October to discuss my top surgery. He's been recommended, seems very nice based on videos where he explains different procedures, and is a bit cheaper than some of the other options. As a result even for a first appointment the wait is a bit long (other doctors have availaibilities this month) but I figure it's worth it to get a result I'll be happy with. On top of that, by the appointment my diabetes doctor is confident my diabetes won't get in the way of surgery whatsoever.
    I'm using the time I have beforehand to make sure I'm as healthy as possible, lose a bit of weight and gain a bit of muscle if I can, and refine my project. For instance I've given more thoughts about my nipples, I've decided to keep them but to ask for both a placement and an areola size that are more gender-neutral.

I'll keep you informed. It's always frustrating to wait but it feels good to have a date for the next step.
    Money-wise, I'm still unsure what I'll do, I might crowdfund some of it, but I'm not too worried about it. People spend more on things that don't change their lives for the better as much. If I end up getting in debt for the first time ever, well there is a first time for everything :)
    Good luck with the October appointment! And with the personal health project. And also with the money situation.

I don't care about gender, don't understand gender, don't care about "understanding gender", don't understand "caring about gender", but do, slightly, care about "understanding 'caring about gender'."

Based on how many levels of abstraction are needed for "gender" to have any relevence to me, I probably don't have one. I may be wrong, though, and nobody (including myself) will ever know.
    Being gender unknown is cool. Just like Mew and a lot of other Pokémon!

25. - Top - End - #445
    Ettin in the Playground

Being gender unknown is cool.
    I wouldn't say it's "cool" or "uncool" because I don't care about it, but... thanks, I guess.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

26. - Top - End - #446
    Troll in the Playground

I see gender as being kinda like clothes; it's what you choose to wear, sometimes what you're expected to wear, and reflects who you are inside from your choices.
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

27. - Top - End - #447
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BisectedBrioche View Post
    I see gender as being kinda like clothes; it's what you choose to wear, sometimes what you're expected to wear, and reflects who you are inside from your choices.
    I do indeed also not care about fashion.

I throw on whatever's on top of the pile or drawer, usually.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

28. - Top - End - #448
    Firbolg in the Playground

Does anyone know what, if any, athletic records are held by transwomen?

It seems like I see an article every day calling for a ban in transpeople in sports because trans men are "shattering all the records" but if I follow up on any of the specifics they mention it is always something like "held a school record in a single event for a few months".

Obviously the whole thing is just a politicized scare tactic, but I am really curious what the actual truth is behind it?
    Looking for feedback on Heart of Darkness, a character driven RPG of Gothic fantasy.

29. - Top - End - #449
    Titan in the Playground

I wouldn't say it's "cool" or "uncool" because I don't care about it, but... thanks, I guess.
    No prob!

Quote Originally Posted by Talakeal View Post
    Does anyone know what, if any, athletic records are held by transwomen?

It seems like I see an article every day calling for a ban in transpeople in sports because trans men are "shattering all the records" but if I follow up on any of the specifics they mention it is always something like "held a school record in a single event for a few months".

Obviously the whole thing is just a politicized scare tactic, but I am really curious what the actual truth is behind it?
    At least twenty-three. One athlete won a bike race and then the biking organization banned trans women.

30. - Top - End - #450
    Firbolg in the Playground

No prob!

At least twenty-three. One athlete won a bike race and then the biking organization banned trans women.
    I saw that article as well. The title is misleading though, as only 2 of those actually involve records, and both are national. The rest are just a list of transwomen who won (or in some cases just qualified for) an event.

Honestly, if anything, it looks like transwomen are statistically underrepresented in athletic accomplishments.
    Looking for feedback on Heart of Darkness, a character driven RPG of Gothic fantasy.