New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: LGBTAIitp Part 60: Still Going Strong

Quote Originally Posted by 137beth View Post
    Does anyone have recommendations for a queer-friendly TTRPG-focused Discord server?
    Lancer's PilotNet (second result for Lancer on discord search, only one for PilotNet) is very, very queer-focused. I spend a lot of time there myself, and... well, if the dabbing mech in front of a trans flag as the server banner doesn't give you an idea of how welcoming it is to the queer community, nothing will.

Don't have any ideas for more general ones, but that one's grown rather more than just Lancer, at least.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Pixie in the Playground

It's been ten years since my grandma passed away so she's been on my mind lately. She died when I was in High School and that was also around the time I started realizing that I'm not-straight (I'm aroace) but those weren't thoughts I shared with my family at the time. When grandma passed away I was emotionally messed up for months, she was really one of my fav people in the whole world... probably because she spoiled me rotten, lol. She was one of those people who just wanted nothing more than to dote on their grandkids and greatgrandkids and listen to classical music.
    Years passed, I realized I'm aroace and came out to my family, and I always felt sad that grandma never got to see me graduate from school or finish my first animated project. One day this year me and my parents were in the car together and the conversation has moved to reminiscing about grandma. And mom and dad recalled the time she came to visit them back when they were living in San Francisco, during June, and coming across a pride parade. That was her first real encounter with the existence of queer folks and she was appreantly 'in shock' and 'appalled'.
    And, well, appreantly my parents thought it was just a funny anecdote, but that was kind of a punch to the gut for me to hear something like that. Because... I would like to believe that no matter how many figurative monocoles she popped while seeing her first pride parade, if she lived longer or if I came out to her while she was alive that she would have accepted me. That she loved me and my cousins and my cousin's kids so strongly that if any one of us came out as aroace or gay or trans or bi or any other flavor of queer, she would have overcome whatever prejudice she had.
    And like... I don't think that's an out-there thing to think about! I mean that story happened like 27 years ago and 17 years before she died, she could have changed her mind. And I know nothing was more precious to my grandma than her family. And it's not like she was a raging homophobe single-mindedly focused on hating LGBTQAI+ people, after all, I only ever heard she had any problem with us long after her death. But... I don't know for sure, I CAN'T know for sure. Because she's dead. And that lack of certainty is just... making me really sad. How I can't be certain about it.

(On a happier note, my weekly visits to grandma's house was actually where I was first exposed to queer media. One of the weekly magazines she used to get had a recurring comic by a lesbian about herself, her girlfriend and their cats. I dunno if grandma ever read those comics, but I sure did.)
    (Hey! Maybe check out my comic?)

It's not my fault I was born straight into the future.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Troll in the Playground

For what it's worth, people's initial reaction can often be very different from how they react in the end. Not to mention that like, having someone you're close to come out as queer makes people think about it in different ways too.

So I don't think it's set in stone that your gran would have been a bigot at all.
    I make avatars. Sometimes.
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #124
    Pixie in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Good news: Finally came out as non-binary to my grandmother, which means I'm out to everyone.

Bad news: Got a Reddit suspension for appealing my permaban from r/lgbt for not being friendly to idiots making attack helicopter jokes because they muted me last time I appealed it.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Astrella View Post
    For what it's worth, people's initial reaction can often be very different from how they react in the end. Not to mention that like, having someone you're close to come out as queer makes people think about it in different ways too.

So I don't think it's set in stone that your gran would have been a bigot at all.
    Thanks for your kind words. On some level I'm still just shaken up about the uncertainty of it all. I guess that's one of the tragedy of death, it's the one thing that stops us humans from learning and evolving our views.

Quote Originally Posted by ComicSansSeraph View Post
    Good news: Finally came out as non-binary to my grandmother, which means I'm out to everyone.
    Congrats!!
    (sucks about Reddit, though)
    Last edited by TwilightSandwic; 2022-01-26 at 08:48 AM.
    (Hey! Maybe check out my comic?)

It's not my fault I was born straight into the future.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

I exist.
    That's pretty much all, really.
    "We were once so close to heaven, Peter came out and gave us medals declaring us 'The nicest of the damned'.."
    - They Might Be Giants, "Road Movie To Berlin"

7. - Top - End - #127
    Troll in the Playground

Existing is one of those things that has a low barrier to entry (if you can acknowledge it as an achievement, you're in), while still being an amazing achievement. Especially when it takes more effort to exist as yourself in some form.
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

8. - Top - End - #128
    Titan in the Playground

If you live in Texas and you need someone to talk to because you are scared, I am available via PM.

Reach out to any trans or LGBT friendly org in your area.

Stay safe.

Know you are loved.

Know we are fighting.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

Follow me on Twitter!

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Lentrax View Post
    If you live in Texas and you need someone to talk to because you are scared, I am available via PM.

Reach out to any trans or LGBT friendly org in your area.

Stay safe.

Know you are loved.

Know we are fighting.
    Is this politics or what? We can't talk about politics, but I know one website that is down since a week ago, if it's anything like that we can probably say what it is.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    Is this politics or what? We can't talk about politics, but I know one website that is down since a week ago, if it's anything like that we can probably say what it is.
    {scrubbed}
    Last edited by Pirate ninja; 2022-04-07 at 05:39 AM.
    Non caerulea sum, Caerulea nomen meum est.
    Extended Signature.
    I'm not not a humanoid. Come not not be one too.
    Answer trivial questions in the OOTS trivia thread!

she/her

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

And because this is a political issue, this is as far as we can go in this thread.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Caerulea View Post
    {Scrub the post, scrub the quote}
    Too much detail, probably.

You could have said "local politics" or if the cause was something else "international politics", or maybe for a third thing "local terrorist incident", "international terrorist incident", "local accidental disaster" or "international accidental disaster" or any of billions of variations without getting into details depending on what it was.

Oh and yakyak.org is back:

Sorry, I didn't notice it was down until <name> mailed me today.

The AWS instance that YY was on was retired because of an underlying HW issue. I've migrated it to another server, restarted phpbb and things now seem okay :)
    Last edited by Pirate ninja; 2022-04-07 at 05:58 AM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Draw your own conclusions, I'm outta here, not worth sticking around for the ending to me, anymore.

{Scrubbed}
    Last edited by Pirate ninja; 2022-04-07 at 05:55 AM.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Otomodachi View Post
    Draw your own conclusions, I'm outta here, not worth sticking around for the ending to me, anymore.

this sucks. here i was, just thinking that it's been i while since i left the forums. thinking maybe this time i will be able to have opinions on a webcomic without encountering a wall of subtle hostility. or at least be funny in the face of it. guess not. I dont use twitter, so i have no way of actually talking to the guy, but he doesn't need to tell us to not use the forums. we're already getting harassed off of them.
    Last edited by Pirate ninja; 2022-04-07 at 05:55 AM.
    Thanks Uncle Festy for the wonderful Ashling Avatar
    I make music

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

Hey.

Just reminding you (Yes you).

I love you.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

16. - Top - End - #136
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Otomodachi View Post

Quote Originally Posted by The Extinguisher View Post
    this sucks. here i was, just thinking that it's been i while since i left the forums. thinking maybe this time i will be able to have opinions on a webcomic without encountering a wall of subtle hostility. or at least be funny in the face of it. guess not. I dont use twitter, so i have no way of actually talking to the guy, but he doesn't need to tell us to not use the forums. we're already getting harassed off of them.
    I'm probably missing important context, or maybe I'm misreading something. What about 2022 in particular makes the long-standing no politics/religion talk policy problematic now? It's always been the case that some topics of critical importance can only be talked about outside of the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Lentrax View Post
    Hey.

Just reminding you (Yes you).

I love you.
    ♥♥♥
    Last edited by Pirate ninja; 2022-04-07 at 05:59 AM.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TaiLiu View Post
    I'm probably missing important context, or maybe I'm misreading something. What about 2022 in particular makes the long-standing no politics/religion talk policy problematic now? It's always been the case that some topics of critical importance can only be talked about outside of the forums.
    I'm just as confused as you are.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TaiLiu View Post

♥♥♥
    I have to say, the tone of the forums, and style of moderation feels very different to how it was before I sorta drifted away before returning in 2020.

It's hard to put my finger on, but if nothing else, it feels harder to just ask for clarification on the rules or what the issue is if your post is scrubbed.

But then, maybe I've just been spoiled by forums with open user/moderator discussions and a public appeals process. Different spaces, different styles.
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

19. - Top - End - #139

Chimera

Life is so frustrating. @BisectedBrioche , I might understand what you mean. I've been here since 2004. This is my third account on this website because after not being able to get a password for my last account, none of the moderators would help me get another one.
    I am ArlEammon. I've been here since 2004, but I've lost access to my other account.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    I'm just as confused as you are.
    Confusion buddies! Also, hi, it's been a hot minute! Hope things are going well with you and yours.

Quote Originally Posted by BisectedBrioche View Post
    I have to say, the tone of the forums, and style of moderation feels very different to how it was before I sorta drifted away before returning in 2020.

It's hard to put my finger on, but if nothing else, it feels harder to just ask for clarification on the rules or what the issue is if your post is scrubbed.

But then, maybe I've just been spoiled by forums with open user/moderator discussions and a public appeals process. Different spaces, different styles.
    Oh, okay. I've never been scrubbed before, so maybe I've just avoided that aspect of these forums. I agree—these forums have always had a relatively rigid moderation style. But Rich is paying for the forums and wants, like, a controversy-free space; and if I wanna talk politics I talk about them elsewhere; and admittedly I'm not winning any awards for posting rate. So it's not been a huge problem for me.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthArminius View Post
    Life is so frustrating. @BisectedBrioche , I might understand what you mean. I've been here since 2004. This is my third account on this website because after not being able to get a password for my last account, none of the moderators would help me get another one.
    It sucks losing access to your account. I'm sorry about that.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Firbolg in the Playground

Rain has now ended

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

Sad to see it end.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

23. - Top - End - #143
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by BisectedBrioche View Post

You (general "you", not BB specifically) can always PM any moderator if you have a general question or the specific moderator who issued a warning or Infraction if you have a question about that, and if that route does not work, you can always consult Roland St. Jude. If you ever have any issues, you're always free to ask me and I'll do whatever I can to help.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthArminius View Post
    None of the moderators are able to do anything to help. Moderator powers are the ability to use red text without issue and access to few extra buttons. Only the administrators would be able to do anything concerning that, and even then it'd likely be Rawhide's domain.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

So, in other news...

Happy birthday to me, I have been gifted with a trip to Thailand, for reasons typical to us.

Any tips?
    "We were once so close to heaven, Peter came out and gave us medals declaring us 'The nicest of the damned'.."
    - They Might Be Giants, "Road Movie To Berlin"

25. - Top - End - #145

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by JusticeZero View Post
    So, in other news...

Happy birthday to me, I have been gifted with a trip to Thailand, for reasons typical to us.

Any tips?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfg6xG1C6vA

Happy Birthday.
    Last edited by DarthArminius; 2022-04-26 at 10:04 AM.
    I am ArlEammon. I've been here since 2004, but I've lost access to my other account.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Troll in the Playground

So, in other news...

Any tips?
    Oh congrats!

Listen to your surgeon! And take after care seriously, it's really rough, especially at the start, but it's very important. Oh, and drink lots and lots of water. I was already prone to UTI's before bottom surgery, but it got a lot worse after. (Now with drinking enough fluids and some cranberry supplements and once I didn't need to wear pads anymore post-surgery wise it got a lot better.)

Oh, and don't worry if everything doesn't magically feel right in every way from the start, it takes time for your body to adapt to the new anatomy + healing + nerve rejiggling and all that.
    I make avatars. Sometimes.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

So it's been a few years since I was last really around the forums, but since I've been doing a 'general update' in various places lately I've looked back here enough times that I should really include this place as well.

Anyway: I'm non-binary. More on the 'agender/neither of the above' end of the spectrum - I'm very much a 'they' rather than a 'he' or 'she' - as it turns out.
    I came-out back in 2019, and although it's not been perfectly smooth sailing (both due to global events and otherwise), overall it's definitely been better than being stuck in the closet. I guess I have had the slight advantage of transitioning as an adult, meaning that people are sort of obliged to take you more seriously, so that may have helped things a little (even if it doesn't really make up for the 'lost years' beforehand, but that's another topic).

That's about the gist of things, really. I don't know if how 'actively back' here I'm going to be long time (or indeed if there are any other old-timers who'd remember me either way) but regardless, if you're reading this: I hope you're safe and doing well.
    Last edited by Mx.Silver; 2022-04-26 at 04:44 PM.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Troll in the Playground

So, in other news...

Any tips?
    Happy Birthday!

For me, the worst part was the pre-surgery enema. You'll be asleep for most of the recovery days in hospital, so they're fairly easy (just bring a book or something). Once the drains and catheters are out, you're home free. ^_^

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

It is good to see this thread persists. Be Well.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morphling View Post
    Yo I'm gay.
    That's pretty gay.