New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271

Default Re: OOTS #1226 - The Discussion Thread

Soon and Shojo were not related. Soon was without family after his wife got Snarled. Shojo was the son of the Azure City lord Old Jo.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lio45 View Post

Am I wrong in thinking that Serini was only drawn by Rich in non-crayon form in the entirety of the comic including prequels exactly one (1) time? I would find that a bit dishonest, but it could be defensible...
    That'd be entirely dishonest. here is what The Giant stated in the commentary of Utterly Dwarfed:

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Burlew
    What, you still want a hint of something specific yet to come? Something you're not expecting? OK, how about this: Someone who has appeared in exactly one (1) page of the story so far (including all the prequel stories) will become an important ally in the first half of the next book. Good luck figuring that one out
    Apicture of Serini was shown here and she appeared here, here and on page 43 of Start of Darkness. The Giant made no provision for the page being drawn in the usual art style so it's not Serini. My money is on spikey-mask bugbear with suspicious ties to Redcloak.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2021-02-21 at 03:13 PM.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    I like that guess, I'ma hop on that train with you.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

4. - Top - End - #274
    Orc in the Playground

I would say that's implausible due to being totally unguessable... but you did just guess it, so clearly it isn't.
    (This signature intentionally left blank)

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by elros View Post
    "Half expected" is my favorite name for a comic, because a lot of people expected Serini, but we only get "half" of her (the other half is green). Well played, Giant.
    I've interpreted it as a pun on Serini being the halfling we were expecting. It would be the Giant's style, too ("Utterly Dwarfed" for example).

It works as both puns at the same time, as it's true that we weren't expecting that half of Serini's original form would be missing.
    Yeah, it works as both. The Giant is quite good at puns like that. (Blood Runs in the Family is probably still my favorite example.)

6. - Top - End - #276
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by runeghost View Post
    Epileptic tree theory: the orange voice is the cloak, which is animated and sentient. What we see in #1189 is Sereni carrying the weapons, and the cloak (on her back) carrying the paladins.
    ...that would actually explain why she's still wearing a cloak way too big for her, I guess.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anitar View Post
    I would say that's implausible due to being totally unguessable... but you did just guess it, so clearly it isn't.
    Well, the Giant made it clear that it would be really hard to guess (I mean, one page!?) and that guy is at the North Pole already AND has done something in this book to make him (somewhat) stand-out among other spear-holders.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2021-02-21 at 05:26 PM.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by One Skunk Todd View Post
    Given that she strongly implies her hand has been replaced, this idea must be wrong, but I can’t shake the notion that she’s been hit with some rotting disease or a curse that has a progressive decay effect.
    With a different (and potentially rotting) eye and hand in a D&D setting, I can't help but think of the hand and eye of Vecna. Presumably they would have their own voice, and attempt to control whoever is grafted to them. In 1e (quite possibly where Serini found them) their powers weren't settled, but up to the DM (with rules for rolling for them, or just writing his own choice). The rotting disease would fit the use of such things and fit 1e just fine. Not sure what the rules are in 3.5e.

postscript: looks like neither are in the d20 SRD, so likely are specifically trademarked and can't be used.
    Last edited by wumpus; 2021-02-21 at 07:19 PM.

9. - Top - End - #279

Quote Originally Posted by wumpus View Post
    With a different (and potentially rotting) eye and hand in a D&D setting, I can't help but think of the hand and eye of Vecna. Presumably they would have their own voice, and attempt to control whoever is grafted to them. In 1e (quite possibly where Serini found them) their powers weren't settled, but up to the DM (with rules for rolling for them, or just writing his own choice). The rotting disease would fit the use of such things and fit 1e just fine. Not sure what the rules are in 3.5e.

postscript: looks like neither are in the d20 SRD, so likely are specifically trademarked and can't be used.
    That's a really interesting notion. (^_^)b

But as you note, there would be major difficulties in including them. Not to mention, it looks like she also lost the part of her torso that arm was attached to (likely the arm too), as well as her foot.

I'd love to see some sort of middle ground, a homebrew idea of the Giant's rather than strict RAW. And regardless I'm stumped for exactly how someone missing at least part of their face (if not head) and that many body parts could 1) escape Xykon and 2) survive long enough to get to whoever performs the grafts.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Pixie in the Playground

Griffon

\

Since we're guessing who the mysterious ally is who only appeared on one page, I'll put down my money.
    I still think orange-voice is a dragon. So the page that the ally appeared on was the page of dragons getting zapped by the familicide spell, but this is one that survived somehow.
    Storywise, V still has to come face to face (not just zombies) with the real consequences of what they did.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Pixie in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post

*Also Serini may not be aware Xykon specifically is in the encampment, as the Bugbears have been there for a long time.
    Nope. See 1189: Serini tells Lien not to make so much noise that "a certain lich hears you." (We're assuming Xykon is the only lich around, right?)

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BruceGee View Post
    Nope. See 1189: Serini tells Lien not to make so much noise that "a certain lich hears you." (We're assuming Xykon is the only lich around, right?)
    I mean, she might not have realized it was Xykon specifically.
    But yes, thinking about it it'd be highly unlikely for her to not have known it was Xykon.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

13. - Top - End - #283

Quote Originally Posted by arimareiji View Post
    And regardless I'm stumped for exactly how someone missing at least part of their face (if not head) and that many body parts could 1) escape Xykon and 2) survive long enough to get to whoever performs the grafts.
    Maybe she was straddling the boundary of an area-of-effect Protection from Negative Energy when Xykon blasted her. She fell. He then did an Animate Dead on her, assuming that she was dead... and she played along. With such skill that he never realized that she wasn't really a zombie, until she managed to escape, keeping her living half out of his view the whole time.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateWench

I guess she must have gotten the replacement at a secondhand store. 😃

Even so, I imagine it cost her an... 😜
    Last edited by One Skunk Todd; 2021-02-22 at 12:41 AM.
    "That's not right, that's not even wrong."

"This is not an idea to be tossed aside lightly, it should be thrown with great force."

15. - Top - End - #285

PirateWench

And you know that “firsthand” quip wasn’t all that humerus. It felt kind of half-hearted.
    Last edited by One Skunk Todd; 2021-02-22 at 12:41 AM.

"This is not an idea to be tossed aside lightly, it should be thrown with great force."

16. - Top - End - #286
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

I'm willing to bet several quatloos that Serini pretty much has full knowledge of the immediate situation surrounding the gate, except for some of the more obscure details (e.g. the billions of worlds, the world within the rift, the fourth/fifth quiddities, Redcloak's Plan). I don't think she has any misconceptions about the paladins' or the Order's intentions; she's just decided (due to either correct reasoning or to a character flaw) that her own plans will work better with them out of the way.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by One Skunk Todd View Post
    I guess she must have gotten the replacement at a secondhand store. 😃
    I don't see a raspberry beret.

18. - Top - End - #288

Quote Originally Posted by bunsen_h View Post
    Maybe she was straddling the boundary of an area-of-effect Protection from Negative Energy when Xykon blasted her. She fell. He then did an Animate Dead on her, assuming that she was dead... and she played along. With such skill that he never realized that she wasn't really a zombie, until she managed to escape, keeping her living half out of his view the whole time.
    I would make a joke about using the half-zombie template, but I have little doubt someone somewhere has written one. Probably someone who works the graveyard shift.

(/now i want to play a half-zombie half-dragon half-pixie half-celestial half-devil half-merfolk half-drow, just to see the look my DM gives me)

19. - Top - End - #289
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by arimareiji View Post
    I would make a joke about using the half-zombie template, but I have little doubt someone somewhere has written one. Probably someone who works the graveyard shift.

(/now i want to play a half-zombie half-dragon half-pixie half-celestial half-devil half-merfolk half-drow, just to see the look my DM gives me)
    I think in the Dragon strips there was a snail with a load of templates like that, actually.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    I think in the Dragon strips there was a snail with a load of templates like that, actually.
    Yeah, a bunch of templates and some extra abilities to boot. "The Snail is a "vampiric half-dragon half-troll lycanthropic fiendish snail" with psionic powers and a Challenge Rating of 14.".

If you want to read more: wiki page.
    Last edited by Yanisa; 2021-02-22 at 06:59 AM.
    Proudly addicted to pointing out where exactly rules can be found.

Countdown to Belkar's death and my follow-up count gives us less then 3 weeks left. Poor Belkar.

___

What effects allow a saving throw?
    List of almost all 3.5 skills.
    Old PF Initiative Build

21. - Top - End - #291
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BruceGee View Post
    \

Since we're guessing who the mysterious ally is who only appeared on one page, I'll put down my money.
    I still think orange-voice is a dragon. So the page that the ally appeared on was the page of dragons getting zapped by the familicide spell, but this is one that survived somehow.
    Storywise, V still has to come face to face (not just zombies) with the real consequences of what they did.
    Random guess: the (orange) beholder on page 32.
    https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0032.html

22. - Top - End - #292
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Corneel View Post
    Random guess: the (orange) beholder on page 32.
    https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0032.html
    That seems unlikely for reasons elaborated on, on said page.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anitar View Post
    Rich said "Good luck figuring that one out." Not to be confused with "I trust that someone will figure it out eventually". Being unguessable in this case is more a feature than a bug, IMO.

That's probably my favorite guess of all. That bugbear tribe is nearby. It's likely they'll interact with the Order at some point.
    Offer good while supplies last. Two to a customer. Each item sold separately. Batteries not included. Mileage may vary. All sales are final. Allow six weeks for delivery. Some items not available. Some assembly required. Some restrictions may apply. All entries become our property. Employees not eligible. Entry fees not refundable. Local restrictions apply. Void where prohibited. Except in Indiana.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Titan in the Playground

That's probably my favorite guess of all. That bugbear tribe is nearby. It's likely they'll interact with the Order at some point.
    but that masked bugbear was in two strips.
    That bugbear tribe is nearby. It's likely they'll interact with the Order at some point.
    That should be interesting.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2021-02-22 at 09:10 AM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

25. - Top - End - #295
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    That seems unlikely for reasons elaborated on, on said page.
    The fact that it appeared on page shows the near-certainty factual falsity of that premise, though. The joke was funny, but it didn't need to be completely accurate.

And that's the closest I'm going to get to speculation along that line of reasoning.

ETA: Actually, I see no problem with letting the comic handle that issue itself.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2021-02-22 at 10:07 AM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

26. - Top - End - #296
    Halfling in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    The second one it appeared in happened after Utterly Dwarfed was published.
    Quote Originally Posted by Manty5 View Post
    They're actually wagering G P's from monster-san's scrabble stash.
    See what I quoted here: Quotes from Fyraltari
    Also this post from Fyraltari.
    See this post from Mortsdeer.

27. - Top - End - #297

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    I don't see a raspberry beret.
    Well, it's definitely not warm there... :)

28. - Top - End - #298
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Yes, the "important ally" will be in N strips, with N>>2 and [N-1] of those strips being in Book 7.
    Offer good while supplies last. Two to a customer. Each item sold separately. Batteries not included. Mileage may vary. All sales are final. Allow six weeks for delivery. Some items not available. Some assembly required. Some restrictions may apply. All entries become our property. Employees not eligible. Entry fees not refundable. Local restrictions apply. Void where prohibited. Except in Indiana.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Pixie in the Playground

Griffon

To sum up, here is my evidence for orange-voice being a dragon:
    1. Serini must have a powerful spellcaster as an ally, to create a teleportal rune behind every single door. She certainly didn't do that herself, and this doesn't seem like a world where a high-level mage would do a job like that as a subcontractor.
    2. The spellcaster is still around. Someone suggested that her cloak allows flying -- but it would also need to create invisibility as well. And there would need to be two of them -- one for each voice. An active spellcaster seems far more likely.
    3. On 1189, it looks like a single being is carrying both paladins, and Serini told her ally to grab both of them.
    4. Serini's speech balloon on the last panel of 1189 is slightly above orange-voice's. That suggests some kind of mount -- probably a flying mount, given that the voices are moving across the page and the paladins' ledge was high and inaccessible.
    5. A large, strong, flying spellcaster that can be used as a mount. I can't think of anything other than a dragon that fits the bill.

Getting more out on a limb here -- we know Girard has dragons in his family tree. So the scribblers could have met and befriended a relative, and Serini could have arranged for her ally to be resurrected after it was familocided on 639. Also, we know that Rich has repudiated the concept of "evil races," so even a black dragon might be good or neutral.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ettin in the Playground

Yes, the "important ally" will be in N strips, with N>>2 and [N-1] of those strips being before strip #1178.
    Fixed that for you. A lot of people forget that the comment in question wasn't made at the end of the book, so the strips 1178-1189 don't count for the appearance of the creature for only 1 page of the story before that point.