New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Re: OOTS #1226 - The Discussion Thread

So just going to point out to the people discussing the current status of the various characters making up the order of the scribble, that (SoD spoilers)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Liran and Dorukan's souls probably aren't in that gem anymore
    , given that it was supposed to be in Xykon's pocket, and his body was destroyed by Dorukan's gate. Decent chance the gem was destroyed and the souls freed when X's body went boom. Figure they're chilling in their respective afterlives by now.

(unless I'm forgetting some critical detail or statement by The Giant)

2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AMoonWalker View Post
    So just going to point out to the people discussing the current status of the various characters making up the order of the scribble, that (SoD spoilers)
    Spoiler
    Show
    , given that it was supposed to be in Xykon's pocket, and his body was destroyed by Dorukan's gate. Decent chance the gem was destroyed and the souls freed when X's body went boom. Figure they're chilling in their respective afterlives by now.

(unless I'm forgetting some critical detail or statement by The Giant)
    Dorukan's crown-magic-thingie survived Xykon'd exploding so the gem may have as well.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

3. - Top - End - #183

Also, there's nothing in the spell description for Trap the Soul that says destroying the gem frees the soul.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Orc in the Playground

So, that dartboard in panel 1. The one with three darts that missed very badly. I don't imagine a halfling rogue would have any business missing with darts at all. I'm thinking that either Orangetext threw those, or they're from Serini trying to acclimate to her "second" left hand.
    (This signature intentionally left blank)

5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Also, there's nothing in the spell description for Trap the Soul that says destroying the gem frees the soul.
    ???

https://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/trapTheSoul.htm
    The gem holds the trapped entity indefinitely or until the gem is broken and the life force is released, which allows the material body to reform
    (emphasis mine)

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

6. - Top - End - #186
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Haven't fully caught up, but I suspect Serini is half-undead now, not half-golem. Golems don't have red eyes as far as I can remember, and while I'm sure it's mostly a coincidence, the final effect on her does make her look a fair bit like the mythological version of Hel, half-dead, half-living.

More importantly, if she were half-golem, there would definitely be visible stitches were the golem parts were grafted on, but here the two halves are blended seamlessly.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    Except that Grandma Bitterleaf is in a nursing home.
    Like one of THOSE could hold an Epic Rogue in.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

8. - Top - End - #188
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Neither were most sabres. For one thing, they may have been called "cutlass", but the standard naval sword was a sabre. And of course, during the period in which sabres were used, most of them ended being used by infantry, because there is so many more soldiers in the infantry than on horses. A sabre is a curved sword designed for primarily for cutting rather than thrusting, but with thrusting still being a possibility. As such, the typical katana is more like a sabre than it is like a longsword (which is about even between thrusting and cutting, with I'd say just a shade of preference for thrusting).

I am somewhat aware that katanas vary widely in curvature, with some being practically straight, and those might be more analogous to longswords than sabres, but generally speaking, and certainly in the context of the comic, the katanas employed by the paladins are more analogous to sabres than they are to longswords.

Grey Wolf
    I've trained HEMA w/ longswords. Full disclosure, only longswords and I've never done full contact sparring. That being said....

Katanas are like longswords because they are used like longswords. There are some European longsword techniques that have no analogues in Japanese swordsmanship (like anything using the false edge) but in general, the overlap between the usage of both is significant. The both have most of the same stances and footwork, and many of the same kinds of swings. Both are used to stab and cut. Conversely, the saber is nothing like either. It is an exclusively single-handed weapon with swings made not with the hips but with the wrist, and the lead foot is almost never changed. Treat yourselves to some youtube videos of longsword vs katana, or longsword vs saber, or any combination thereof. Or for a more thorough breakdown, watch technique videos for each weapon.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TRH View Post
    Haven't fully caught up, but I suspect Serini is half-undead now, not half-golem. Golems don't have red eyes as far as I can remember, and while I'm sure it's mostly a coincidence, the final effect on her does make her look a fair bit like the mythological version of Hel, half-dead, half-living.

More importantly, if she were half-golem, there would definitely be visible stitches were the golem parts were grafted on, but here the two halves are blended seamlessly.
    Half Clay Golems don's have stitches. She's have to pass a DC 25 will save to avoid turning Neutral Evil with a hatred for all fleshy life if she's a half-golem.

10. - Top - End - #190

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by mikelibrarian View Post
    Half Clay Golems don's have stitches. She's have to pass a DC 25 will save to avoid turning Neutral Evil with a hatred for all fleshy life if she's a half-golem.
    Half-clay golems also have "grotesquely distorted musculature, such as an overlarge chest, arms attached by thick knots of muscle at the shoulder, stubby fingers, or arms that hang almost to the ground." I don't see any sign of that either. In general, my point here isn't even literally about stitches, but just that stylistically, the union between golem and person will invariably be depicted as mismatched and awkward in some way, while Serini's halves seem too harmonious for that, at least the way I see it.

Remember also that Rich cares more about having things feel thematically consistent as opposed to rules consistent, which is one of the reasons characters always use healing potions and almost never use healing wands the way actual 3.5 players do all the time. I think that mindset rules out a half-golem who would look this well-put together, even if it were mechanically or even flavor-text possible.
    Last edited by TRH; 2021-02-19 at 07:10 PM.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Imagining Xykon doing silly things, because jokes
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by dancrilis View Post
    Perhaps [Xykon] combined her with Redcloak's niece.
    "Alright, I know this sounds crazy, but it'll make a bunch of people go nuts. It'll be hilarious! Also you're too low-level to object."

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    Spoiler: SoD
    Show
    Xykon 100% killed Lirian, and then zombified her corpse, and then also trapped her soul in a crystal, she is absolutely not orange voice
    Unless Serini stole the crystal from Xykon when they last met. Or, more likely, it got lost between the couch cushions when Xykon moved and it was wound up in a black market novelty lamp she happened to buy last time she was in town.
    ...okay, the part about losing a crystal containing the soul of one-time enemies because he doesn't care enough to keep track of it does sound plausible.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
    Maybe it's her child, also half/golem-ized? @danielxcutter did mention the subject takes a big hit to INT from the procedure. And leaving her offspring in that kind of condition is the sort of thing Xykon would enjoy, if he couldn't just zombifie the kid and cart him/her away.
    "Alright, your choice: Do I kill you or the kid?"
    "Oh ****. Okay, calm down, think logically. If I die, what're the odds Junior could find a cleric willing to resurrect me? I'd probably have better odds, so from that perspective I'd be the better choice to survive. But am I just trying to justify a selfish—?"
    "Time's up, I'm killing half of each of you."

Quote Originally Posted by Murk View Post
    So if the plan is to make them forget... then why abduct them in the first place?
    Because if the people you abduct, simply disappear, the people who sent them will only send more to see what happened. Plus, now they'll be on guard against being disappeared themselves.
    Send back the abductees with a totally convincing story that, whatever they're looking for, it isn't here, and your hunters will move off and look somewhere else. Only works if you're absolutely sure in your amnesiac and that your implanted story remains intact.
    I'd like to point out that you started your response to "Why were the paladins abducted if they're just going to be amnesia'd and released?" with an explanation of what would happenif they were abducted and released without being amnesia'd.

Quote Originally Posted by BaronOfHell View Post
    Aha, even though the battle between the Order and Xykon will go awry, the world will ultimately be saved, however only a heavily wounded Belkar survives.
    Sadly the RedCloak will also perish in the battle, and many years in the future the world will once again begin to unravel. Belkar, the only person left alive who knows about the plot (thanks to Elan's story telling on the mechane) manages to travel back in time to the place where it all went wrong, now his mission is to make sure things goes right so RC can help sealing the rifts.

Also Belkar had a sex change at some point after defeating Xykon.
    Anyone else have D+D=T flashbacks?

Quote Originally Posted by Lionheart261 View Post
    If you were set on mind wiping your captives from the start, you'd time it so that the potion was finished by the time they woke up...
    Even assuming she had the time to prebrew the potion (ie, it doesn't take longer to brew than it takes to wake up), the paladins left their alarm clocks at home, so it's hard to know exactly when they'd wake up.

Quote Originally Posted by AMoonWalker View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    , given that it was supposed to be in Xykon's pocket, and his body was destroyed by Dorukan's gate.
    Xykon canonically washes his laundry, and most people empty their pockets before washing their robes. Jokes aside, the gem is more likely to have been destroyed in the dungeon explosion than the gate explosion.

Haven't fully caught up, but I suspect Serini is half-undead now, not half-golem. Golems don't have red eyes as far as I can remember...
    Unless you let an iron golem rust. Or build a stone golem out of sandstone. Pretty sure I remember these things being in 3.5, too.
    But it's pretty rare for only the eyes to be red, barring an after-market paint job.

Half Clay Golems don's have stitches.
    glances at Serini's color palette
    I think you're confusing clay with swamp gunk.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blade Wolf View Post
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Winner of Villainous Competitions 8 and 40; silver for 32
    Fanfic

Pixel avatar by me! Other avatar by Recaiden.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWyrmGold View Post
    Pretty sure I remember these things being in 3.5, too.
    That's the book art for a psion-killer.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

13. - Top - End - #193
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWyrmGold View Post
    ...I'd like to point out that you started your response to "Why were the paladins abducted if they're just going to be amnesia'd and released?" with an explanation of what would happen if they were abducted and released without being amnesia'd...
    If you're responding to me, I'd say that releasing the Paladins merely with a bad case of amnesia, doesn't help Serini very much. It's not enough that the Paladins don't remember getting darted, or her little cave; they need to remember something innocuous that prevents them from wondering why they have a blank spot in their recollection for however long it was.

The point is for the Paladins to think of the area as unremarkable. Big lapses in memory aren't unremarkable.

I love your idea of the proposed dialogue between Serini + child, and Xykon. He's a Complete Monster, but damned if he isn't one of the most entertaining characters in the strip.

Well said comments too, in the rest of your post. EDIT: Not having looked at the SRD for the critter, Crystal really should have been made into a Crystal Golem. I had no idea such were possible.

I still think the art is a nod to the Terminator. We'll see.
    Last edited by Ghosty; 2021-02-19 at 07:30 PM.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Colossus in the Playground

Have undead in OOTS ever had coloured text on coloured background for their speech bubbles? The Nightcrawler had coloured text on black background (as opposed to the white text that is standard for undead) - but the coloured text on coloured background is less usual.

Whereas, as demonstrated by Crystal, it's quite appropriate for constructs:

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0978.html
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    That's the book art for a psion-killer.
    Told you it was in 3.5!
    (I googled "red crystal golem," found a familiar-looking image; the page title said Pathfinder, so I made a silly assumption.)

If you're responding to me, I'd say that releasing the Paladins merely with a bad case of amnesia, doesn't help Serini very much. It's not enough that the Paladins don't remember getting darted, or her little cave; they need to remember something innocuous that prevents them from wondering why they have a blank spot in their recollection for however long it was.

The point is for the Paladins to think of the area as unremarkable. Big lapses in memory aren't unremarkable.
    My point being that you seemed to be answering the opposite question of what had been asked. Even if the answer to the actual question was buried in there, it was far from the best way to explain it.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blade Wolf View Post
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Winner of Villainous Competitions 8 and 40; silver for 32
    Fanfic

Pixel avatar by me! Other avatar by Recaiden.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

She's have to pass a DC 25 will save to avoid turning Neutral Evil with a hatred for all fleshy life if she's a half-golem.
    It’s not impossible that she is, in fact, evil.

There’s no guarantee that she’s actually *protecting* the gate at this point.

It seems unlikely, because if she was actively trying to destroy the world it’s hard to see how she’s currently doing that. But it’s impossible for me to guess at her current mental state.
    Last edited by Dion; 2021-02-19 at 08:00 PM.

17. - Top - End - #197

GreataxeFighterGirl

Honestly, Serini's condition resembles greyscale from ASOIAF; a slow-moving disease that consumes the body and mind, leaving a rotted husk behind. She might only have a few years or even months to live.

18. - Top - End - #198

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Have undead in OOTS ever had coloured text on coloured background for their speech bubbles? The Nightcrawler had coloured text on black background (as opposed to the white text that is standard for undead) - but the coloured text on coloured background is less usual.

Whereas, as demonstrated by Crystal, it's quite appropriate for constructs:

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0978.html
    Good point, but on the other hand, she's not entirely undead either, going by my theory. Whatever's going on with her is definitely unique one way or another.

19. - Top - End - #199

Lizardfolk

My guess for Serini's Template is a rush-job fix by Grubwiggler. She was rushed in to the castle in a series of bags, but Grubwiggler pointed out that she was only *mostly* exploded. Now, mostly exploded means partly intact. All exploded, there's only one thing you can do; get a mop.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    It’s not impossible that she is, in fact, evil.

There’s no guarantee that she’s actually *protecting* the gate at this point.

It seems unlikely, because if she was actively trying to destroy the world it’s hard to see how she’s currently doing that. But it’s impossible for me to guess at her current mental state.
    Or she's Evil but still wants to protect the world because she likes existing as much as the next half-golem Halfling lady.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

21. - Top - End - #201
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    Generally, yes. But they're also not made to be cavalry swords, for one.
    Right that would be the katana's predecessor, the tachi.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Ugh, that Rich Burlew is a sneaky bastard. When I first saw that cloaked figure in #1225, my first thought was "Is that Serini? Can't be, whoever that person is, they're too tall to be a halfling." Come one strip later and...yup, it's an old female halfling (quarterling?) on a stepladder.

Wicked, wicked Rich Burlew. Sneaky bastard, he is. It's precisely that sort of double subversion that makes me question his parentage once again.

Very well done indeed, Rich!

23. - Top - End - #203
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

I just wanted to point out something interesting with her wording. At first I thought that Xykon had blasted her with some necromancy spell and that's why she's like this, but her saying that he's the reason she lost her first hand makes me think he somehow injured her in a way she couldn't regenerate from and she ended up getting this green hand to replace it. I'm not sure how educated this guess really is, but I'm pretty sure that Xykon wasn't the one that made her be all half-green.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

There's also the fact that she still has her white hair on her green side, including on her green foot.

It kinds reminds me of gangrene a bit. Is there a spell that inflicts onto someone?

Then again, she does say she lost her original hand so unless it's basically her old flesh golemized and attached...

As for the stat concerns about her potentially being part-golem, it has been pretty clear that the Giant has been willing to tweak the precisions for the sake of the story.

I mean, losing Int doesn't always makes sense for a half golem and it may not affect her alignment.

For example, from the "The Year of Rogue Dragons" trilogy by Richard Lee Byers, we have the Chaotic Neutral half iron-golem mercenary named Dorn Graybrook. According to the Forgotten Realms wiki, he has 10 levels of Fighter and 3 in Ranger (according to the Forgotten Realms wiki) so he wasn't too impeded by his condition mentally, though I never read the books.

25. - Top - End - #205

Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    My guess for Serini's Template is a rush-job fix by Grubwiggler. She was rushed in to the castle in a series of bags, but Grubwiggler pointed out that she was only *mostly* exploded. Now, mostly exploded means partly intact. All exploded, there's only one thing you can do; get a mop.
    Heh. "Go through their clothes and look for loose copper pieces..."

It would be odd if Resurrection wouldn't fix her problems, at a cost of a level, of course. Unless Xykon did something creepy with her soul but still left her body wandering around.
    Last edited by bunsen_h; 2021-02-20 at 01:44 AM.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

Props to the people who called "halfling or other small creature standing on something"

I'm hoping the paladins will be able to get an explanation out of her over the next couple comics. The story of what Xykon did to her is bound to be interesting.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Pixie in the Playground

long time lurker, first time poster: Serini might be a Green Star Adept, a 3.5 prestige class for casters that focuses on replacing the character's body piece by piece with starmetal. we have seen already that starmetal is a material that exists in this setting and which has some narrative significance.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by jstorrie View Post
    long time lurker, first time poster: Serini might be a Green Star Adept, a 3.5 prestige class for casters that focuses on replacing the character's body piece by piece with starmetal. we have seen already that starmetal is a material that exists in this setting and which has some narrative significance.
    Um, but Serini wasn't a caster? She was a rogue. I mean, I suppose you could argue she multiclassed to caster and then went for a prestige class, but seems really, really unlikely to me--not to mention that the clear implication of what she says in this strip is that she was forced to replace parts of her body because of Xykon, not because she chose to go prestige.

29. - Top - End - #209

Dumb question: Is it just me, or are the circles on Serini's face more evocative of her being partly insubstantial (i.e. bubbles) than they are of boils/warts/etc? I blame the cauldron bubbles for making me think this. (^_^)°

Quote Originally Posted by bunsen_h View Post
    To try to get as much information out of them as possible. A properly-done interrogation doesn't involve force, torture, or drugs, but simply building a rapport with one's subject and having long conversations.
    My memory plays tricks on me, not sure: Have we ever seen that happen in this comic, apart from O-Chul?

(With MitD, that is. I don't think anyone could seriously believe I'm talking about Redcloak with O-Chul, but better safe than sorry.)

30. - Top - End - #210
    Pixie in the Playground

I don’t think it is Serini. At least, not the brain part.

What I suspect is happening is that “Serini” is Redcloaks niece. She had some conflict with Xykon gone poorly and was left in a badly damaged state. In the same conflict, Serini was killed.

In order to survive, the niece grafted Serinis body parts to her own, but it isn’t Serinis brain in that head.

Why do I think this?

1) Serini should have good ability with projectiles, being a halfling. Instead we see that she can’t hit a dartboard particularly well.
    2) Serini was a chirpy, happy go lucky, bubbly character. Yeah, I suppose it could be conceded this might have changed given the severe trauma she had obviously suffered.
    3) Making potions like this isn’t really rogue skill set. It’s something else...