New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: OOTS #1226 - The Discussion Thread

Wait... I feel like there's something important missing here. Hmm... Oh yes! I got it.

Dun dun DUUUUN!!
    Proud White Cloak Acolyte of the Fan Club.

Neither murderous paladins nor psychotic liches shall ever extinguish the dream of Goblin Liberation. The Plan must continue.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

God I love the O-chul/Lien double-act. Panel three is just chef's-kiss perfection.

Seriously, anyone that complains that Paladins are dull, rote, boring characters needs to be forced to see all of their scenes. Clearly Lawful-Good, clearly heroic, but funny as **** with markedly different personalities that still gel incredibly well. Them and Hinjo really shows the many different ways you can play really excellent Paladin-types, they're all just so good...
    Last edited by Wraithfighter; 2021-02-20 at 08:55 AM.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Orc in the Playground

Can I just say that I love the fact she's wearing a very long cape, covering both herself and the ladder, just for the dramatic effect?
    Elan would be proud.
    When in doubt, set it on fire, right?

4. - Top - End - #214
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

wait a second... do we know who sent that scrying green eye? maybe that was serini that was looking in on them, after girard's exploding message, green like her speech bubble. or was that answered elsewhere?
    It's "locksmith of LOVE!" not "LO!"

5. - Top - End - #215

That was ZZ'dtri and the rest of the Linear Guild, during their whole search all of the desert to 'help' Penelope fond the Draketooth clan.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RMS Oceanic View Post
    It's still my crackpot theory that when the Order meets her, Belkar will go up to her and say "Hey, Grandma." Having never had a reason to divulge that information.
    Ahahaha! Hahaha. Hehe. Heh. Heh.

Boy, am I glad we got a reveal so soon! Has to be Serini (or a daughter? I think it's probably just Serini though). I guessed she might be one of the voices when we first saw em, didn't expect it to actually happen, though. Now I'm wondering who the orange voice is. I think a construct assistant sounds right.
    Quote Originally Posted by bravelove View Post
    people on this forum seeing the no politics sign: huh i wonder what that's for, can't be me, anyways time to compare the comic to politics again-
    Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    The people on this forum are the most pedantic group of people I have ever seen, that why.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mariele View Post
    Boy, am I glad we got a reveal so soon! Has to be Serini (or a daughter? I think it's probably just Serini though). I guessed she might be one of the voices when we first saw em, didn't expect it to actually happen, though. Now I'm wondering who the orange voice is. I think a construct assistant sounds right.
    I'm thinking it's probably still someone we met (once), but haven't seen since. The Giant did say such a character was going to be an important ally.

Hey! Wasn't he talking about Sereni?

Eh, maybe? She's had more than one appearance before now, and I don't think the Giant screwed up in his reckoning of that fact. It could just as easily mean he wasn't talking about her.
    Last edited by Ironsmith; 2021-02-20 at 11:53 AM.
    Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? 'Course ya do!

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

*gushes unintelligibly over our cat, Sunshine*

[Nexus characters, grouped by setting:
    Ouroboros: here
    Maesda: here
    Others: here
    ]

8. - Top - End - #218
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cardinal View Post
    I don’t think it is Serini. At least, not the brain part.

1) Serini should have good ability with projectiles, being a halfling. Instead we see that she can’t hit a dartboard particularly well.
    2) Serini was a chirpy, happy go lucky, bubbly character. Yeah, I suppose it could be conceded this might have changed given the severe trauma she had obviously suffered.
    3) Making potions like this isn’t really rogue skill set. It’s something else...
    Yeah, but if she did become part golemized, it would affect her motor skills and eyesight, especially precision and meanwhile, would make sense she became jaded by truama.

Well, amnesia could fall under the sort of brew classification as making poisons...

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ogre in the Playground

I gotta admit, seeing Serini alive was a total surprise. I stated several times before that she wouldn't have survived Xykon taking her diary. Seems I was wrong.
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

10. - Top - End - #220
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    I gotta admit, seeing Serini alive was a total surprise. I stated several times before that she wouldn't have survived Xykon taking her diary. Seems I was wrong.
    You and me both. Imean, I thought she very well may have still been alive for story reasons, but I didn't think she'd have been able to survive the lich storm.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

11. - Top - End - #221
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by locksmith of lo View Post
    wait a second... do we know who sent that scrying green eye? maybe that was serini that was looking in on them, after girard's exploding message, green like her speech bubble. or was that answered elsewhere?
    We have know for a long while that it was Zz'dtri
    I has Trophies!
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #222
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cardinal View Post
    I don’t think it is Serini. At least, not the brain part.

What I suspect is happening is that “Serini” is Redcloaks niece. She had some conflict with Xykon gone poorly and was left in a badly damaged state. In the same conflict, Serini was killed.
    At this point I'm never sure if people are serious when bringing up Redcloak's niece :P
    But if you are then I want to point out that the Giant confirmed in the latest QA post that Redcloak's niece will have no significance or further presence in the comic. (Yeah, I know, "unless she is". But it's pretty clear that Rich doesn't have big plans for her.)
    Last edited by Bilbo Baggins; 2021-02-20 at 01:37 PM.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo Baggins View Post
    At this point I'm never sure if people are serious when bringing up Redcloak's niece :P
    But if you are then I want to point out that the Giant confirmed in the latest QA post that Redcloak's niece will have no significance or further presence in the comic. (Yeah, I know, "unless she is". But it's pretty clear that Rich doesn't have big plans for her.)
    You may want to re-read Rich's careful avoidance of both truth and lies when discussing Malack, Greg and vampirism. If Rich does not have plans for RC's niece to come back, that's the response he would use. But so would it be if he did have plans for her to come back.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2021-02-20 at 02:05 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

14. - Top - End - #224
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo Baggins View Post
    You may want to re-read Rich's careful avoidance of both truth and lies when discussing Malack, Greg and vampirism. If Rich does not have plans for RC's niece to come back, that's the response he would use. But so would it be if he did have plans for her to come back.
    Indeed. I think it's most accurate to say the Giant had no big plans for Redcloak's niece to return when he was writing Start of Darkness. Whether he has plans (big or otherwise) for her to return now, around a decade-and-a-half later, isn't anywhere near as certain.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

15. - Top - End - #225
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by facw View Post
    Not recent, but we see two non-crayon flashbacks to Dorukan way back in Don't Split the Party: https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0532.html

Lirian is also there.
    Ah, yes...

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Correct. Kraagor died before the gates were built. Soon, Dorukan & Lirian were dead pre-comic 1. Girard we aren't sure of time of death, but long enough to be properly interred and a statue commissioned or conjured, so likely also pre-stip 1.
    Thanks!

16. - Top - End - #226
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

I'm really surprised considering this strip has an older hero coming back all bitter and cloaked after a dramatic encounter with a bad guy this thread has yet to mention that one movie once...you know the one! Terminator Dark Fate, yes

17. - Top - End - #227
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Ariko View Post
    We have know for a long while that it was Zz'dtri
    ok, i remember seeing something about that, someone's signature, but reading around i could not find a specific strip that confirms that. did i miss something, or is it just an circumstantial confirmation because his magic was green too and they were on scene fairly soon thereafter? i am not doubting that conclusion, but just wondering how it was arrived at or where it was found.
    It's "locksmith of LOVE!" not "LO!"

18. - Top - End - #228
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

Okay, this invalidates my personal theory that Serini had a child with Girard Draketooth (she did mark him with hearts in her diary) and died when V cast Familicide on that ancient black dragon back in book 4.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ironsmith View Post
    I'm thinking it's probably still someone we met (once), but haven't seen since. The Giant did say such a character was going to be an important ally.

Eh, maybe? She's had more than one appearance before now, and I don't think the Giant screwed up in his reckoning of that fact. It could just as easily mean he wasn't talking about her.
    I don't think Serini is the "unexpected ally who appeared on only one page before."

20. - Top - End - #230
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

ok, i remember seeing something about that, someone's signature, but reading around i could not find a specific strip that confirms that. did i miss something, or is it just an circumstantial confirmation because his magic was green too and they were on scene fairly soon thereafter? i am not doubting that conclusion, but just wondering how it was arrived at or where it was found.
    It was in a book commentary, IIRC.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

21. - Top - End - #231
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

did i miss something, or is it just an circumstantial confirmation because his magic was green too and they were on scene fairly soon thereafter? i am not doubting that conclusion, but just wondering how it was arrived at or where it was found.
    In the online strips, there's only the fact that Nale knows the Order was in the middle of the desert a week before.

It's explicit mentioned in a bonus strip in the printed book.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

gives a whole new meaning to „half-ling“
    * my emphasis

http://dmreference.com/SRD/
    http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

Things that don't kill me make me strong
    Things that do kill me leave me dead

23. - Top - End - #233
    Titan in the Playground

You're probably looking for this:
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Yes, the scrying beacon was Zz'dtri, checking up on Elan at Nale's request. It was primarily a bit of foreshadowing that Zz'dtri was coming back, since at that point no one expected him to ever show up again. You'll note that Nale confirms that he's been keeping tabs on Elan right after Z reveals himself (both to V and the reader).
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ironsmith View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    I don't think Serini is the "unexpected ally who appeared on only one page before."
    I was precisely going to ask: is there any consensus in this community as to whether Serini is the "unexpected ally who appeared on only one page before"...?

She appeared on several pages, for sure. But never as herself. So it would be either >1 appearances or 0.

Plus, Rich said "unexpected", and it was logical to expect to hear from Serini at some point--she's the only Scribbler not dead yet, and this Gate is her Gate. Even the comic title admits the half(ling) was expected!

So, IMO, it's a firm "no, we haven't seen that mysterious ally yet".
    Offer good while supplies last. Two to a customer. Each item sold separately. Batteries not included. Mileage may vary. All sales are final. Allow six weeks for delivery. Some items not available. Some assembly required. Some restrictions may apply. All entries become our property. Employees not eligible. Entry fees not refundable. Local restrictions apply. Void where prohibited. Except in Indiana.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ogre in the Playground

Delurking to say my piece:

If I had to guess, Serini knows Soon would never betray his oath, but that Soon must also be quite old. It'd be hypothetically possible for Soon to pass down power to someone less lawful, or perhaps have his power be usurped by someone hoping to exploit the gate. Maybe some Blatantly Evilchancellorson claiming power as the poor old paladin lord is senile and has no living heir, or a different cliche.
    If she's seeing paladins and the gates are down, she may have come to the conclusion that Soon is dead and someone from Azure City is trying to conquer the gates.

She may believe Xykon is a real threat, but then have trouble believing it's actually him since Roy's party technically caused the destruction of two of the gates

Other things to note:
    *Assuming they maintained communication, Girard's clan and Serini may have talked after Azure City fell, as there's a several month stretch before V wiped them out. Suspicions put up by Girard's clan would have been somewhat validated from Serini's perspective after they all died and Roy set off the trap that was set to alert all of them about Soon looking for Girard's Gate.

*Also Serini may not be aware Xykon specifically is in the encampment, as the Bugbears have been there for a long time.

*It's unclear if Serini knows Roy exists, odds are at most she knows Roy is associated with them.
    Last edited by Squire Doodad; 2021-02-20 at 04:43 PM.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

26. - Top - End - #236

It's also possible that after she heard about Soon's death (Gather Information check), she eventually went to Azure City and saw Shojo. And immediately spotted that he was no paladin.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    It's also possible that after she heard about Soon's death (Gather Information check), she eventually went to Azure City and saw Shojo. And immediately spotted that he was no paladin.
    Something along those lines would work, yeah. Then she sees all the gates are destroyed, doesn't know why, then paladins show up at her door and things go from there.

As an aside, I'd like to point out how wonderful the rest of the room is. Beanbags, dart boards, a houseplant...
    Odds are she's living with "Beaker" and this is their living room/potion chamber.
    Last edited by Squire Doodad; 2021-02-20 at 05:09 PM.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

-Squire Doodad

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bunsen_h View Post
    It would be odd if Resurrection wouldn't fix her problems, at a cost of a level, of course. Unless Xykon did something creepy with her soul but still left her body wandering around.
    I realize this is going to sound crazy, but maybe Serini just didn't want to die? I hear that there are some weirdos like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    It'd be hypothetically possible for Soon to pass down power to someone less lawful...
    (And also that's exactly what happened. Even if it's largely unrelated to what's going on now.)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blade Wolf View Post
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Winner of Villainous Competitions 8 and 40; silver for 32
    Fanfic

Pixel avatar by me! Other avatar by Recaiden.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWyrmGold View Post
    (And also that's exactly what happened. Even if it's largely unrelated to what's going on now.)
    I mean, yeah, technically speaking the plot in Azure City is literally "someone not a paladin takes control, wants to look into the other gates, and then one of the paladins destroys the gate to keep it out of evil hands", but in a precisely different way XD

-Squire Doodad

30. - Top - End - #240
    Halfling in the Playground

I. CALLED. IT!

As did many people, but still. I am looking forward to learning what happened to her.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    I'm pretty sure Orange has at least four arms considering the spear and saber's positions.
    Could be, but it works equally well if you presume the katana and spear are tucked into a belt.
    I Am A: Neutral Good Human Wizard (2nd Level)

My favourite forms of humour involve wordplay, self-deprecation and their
    mutant hybrid offspring: Intentionally misreading semantically ambiguous
    phrasing. Beware thy missing Oxford commas!