New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Default Re: OOTS #1226 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by TRH View Post
    Haven't fully caught up, but I suspect Serini is half-undead now, not half-golem.
    FWIW, I agree.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by hroşila View Post
    I seriously doubt Soon was squarely in the wrong, but we know Girard and Dorukan were against him, and now this would mean Serini wasn't neutral either, but also anti-Soon. And Lirian might have stayed neutral but it's quite possible that she also agrees with Dorukan - it may have been too big a topic to remain neutral about with your romantic partner. Most curious.
    I think Girard talking about Serini could potentially count as evidence towards her being anti-Soon. Although, I suppose it could also just mean he thought she would be hard to find.

Peelee’s Lotsey

3. - Top - End - #243
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hroşila View Post
    Serini knows hers is the last gate standing and specifically that Soon's Gate is gone, and she's aware that the world and all of existence are at the stake. She is not hostile to the paladins, so it's not like she believes they destroyed Girard's Gate. She knows who Xykon is, and most likely that Xykon has her diary and that he's the reason why all those other gates were destroyed (wouldn't be surprised if she heard it about Lirian's Gate directly from Xykon). So you'd expect her to welcome any possible help, and it'll be interesting to learn what her reason is for not accepting it.
    It's probably not a coincidence that the attack started immediately after O-Chul talked about locating the Gate themselves.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

4. - Top - End - #244
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    You're probably looking for this:
    ok, thank you. i had a couple of replies like it was self evident, but it was more answered outside of what it available from only reading the strips.
    It's "locksmith of LOVE!" not "LO!"

5. - Top - End - #245
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

I just logged on for the first time in years to say - there have been fewer than 40 pages in the last year (O'Chul and Lien were taken by Serini on Feb 3rd, 2020). And yet with every strip it feels like we're accelerating toward the endgame. Hats off to you Mr. Burlew, your story pacing is on-point.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Time View Post
    It nice to see that one of the order of the scribble is still alive. And she planning to only erase their recent memories instead of killing them. Guess this means she isn't a new villain in the story and is merely neutral instead.
    My bet is that once they explain Xykon's destruction of Soon's gate (and the loss of Azure City) she will become the "ally for the first half of the book" people have been talking about.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Patterned_Pike View Post
    My bet is that once they explain Xykon's destruction of Soon's gate (and the loss of Azure City) she will become the "ally for the first half of the book" people have been talking about.
    I'll take that bet.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

8. - Top - End - #248
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Just popped in and saw the comic.... I guess that's how Xykon got Serini's diary...
    Professional Ancient Relic
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdeep Merch View Post
    Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Dwarf in the Playground

Personally I think it's unlikely that a character who has appeared on 7 pages (more if you count "invisible with a speech bubble") will be
    Someone who has appeared in exactly one (1) page of the story so far (including all the prequel stories)
    Last edited by facw; 2021-02-21 at 12:29 AM.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vorpal word View Post
    I just logged on for the first time in years to say - there have been fewer than 40 pages in the last year (O'Chul and Lien were taken by Serini on Feb 3rd, 2020). And yet with every strip it feels like we're accelerating toward the endgame. Hats off to you Mr. Burlew, your story pacing is on-point.
    Not that it changes your point much, but O'Chul and Lien were taken by Serini on Dec. 2nd, 2019, at which moment Rich announced to his readership that he was taking a couple months off.
    Offer good while supplies last. Two to a customer. Each item sold separately. Batteries not included. Mileage may vary. All sales are final. Allow six weeks for delivery. Some items not available. Some assembly required. Some restrictions may apply. All entries become our property. Employees not eligible. Entry fees not refundable. Local restrictions apply. Void where prohibited. Except in Indiana.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
    I was precisely going to ask: is there any consensus in this community as to whether Serini is the "unexpected ally who appeared on only one page before"...?

She appeared on several pages, for sure. But never as herself. So it would be either >1 appearances or 0.

Plus, Rich said "unexpected", and it was logical to expect to hear from Serini at some point--she's the only Scribbler not dead yet, and this Gate is her Gate. Even the comic title admits the half(ling) was expected!

So, IMO, it's a firm "no, we haven't seen that mysterious ally yet".
    There is a discussion in the Major character who has only appeared on 1 page in the entire OOTS saga thread starting with me pointing out Serini earlier appearances.

Some people indeed say all those appearances are drawings. flashbacks or her just not "appearing" so there isn't a consensus. Even the unexpected part is being dissected.
    Proudly addicted to pointing out where exactly rules can be found.

Countdown to Belkar's death and my follow-up count gives us less then 3 weeks left. Poor Belkar.

___

What effects allow a saving throw?
    List of almost all 3.5 skills.
    Old PF Initiative Build

12. - Top - End - #252
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

With everything going on, I expect that Roy may snap and just scream a large "Reason you Suck speech" aimed at Serini or rather the entire Order of the Scribble for basically letting their petty grievances and issues keep them from doing their job.

Heck, I could see the rest of the Order even joining in because of the inanity.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wizard_Lizard View Post
    Just popped in and saw the comic.... I guess that's how Xykon got Serini's diary...
    {Scrubbed}
    Last edited by truemane; 2021-02-22 at 11:48 AM.
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

14. - Top - End - #254
    Titan in the Playground

Can't be, she has appeared in several pages during the Crayons of Time.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateWench

Given that she strongly implies her hand has been replaced, this idea must be wrong, but I can’t shake the notion that she’s been hit with some rotting disease or a curse that has a progressive decay effect.
    "That's not right, that's not even wrong."

"This is not an idea to be tossed aside lightly, it should be thrown with great force."

16. - Top - End - #256

NecromancerGuy

Epileptic tree theory: the orange voice is the cloak, which is animated and sentient. What we see in #1189 is Sereni carrying the weapons, and the cloak (on her back) carrying the paladins.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by runeghost View Post
    Epileptic tree theory: the orange voice is the cloak, which is animated and sentient. What we see in #1189 is Sereni carrying the weapons, and the cloak (on her back) carrying the paladins.
    You've watched Doctor Strange haven't you?
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomePirate

So people keep mentioning that Serini should know a bit of what's going on since V and Durkon have been using the sending spell, but if sending spell requires both a name *and* a good idea of the target's physical appearance, is it possible she just hasn't been receiving them owing to the fact that her physical appearance is much different than if she had just been aging normally?

19. - Top - End - #259
    Titan in the Playground

So people keep mentioning that Serini should know a bit of what's going on since V and Durkon have been using the sending spell, but if sending spell requires both a name *and* a good idea of the target's physical appearance, is it possible she just hasn't been receiving them owing to the fact that her physical appearance is much different than if she had just been aging normally?
    If that were the case V and Durkon would never had attempted to join her as they have no desription of her.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2021-02-21 at 11:08 AM.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

You merely need to be "familiar" with the subject. You do not need to have met them or, indeed, have any particular knowledge of their physical appearance.

The most obvious consequence to this is that you can use Sending to target somebody who is in disguise, and who you have only met through the disguise, as long as you are targeting the disguised identity.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

21. - Top - End - #261
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    You merely need to be "familiar" with the subject. You do not need to have met them or, indeed, have any particular knowledge of their physical appearance.

The most obvious consequence to this is that you can use Sending to target somebody who is in disguise, and who you have only met through the disguise, as long as you are targeting the disguised identity.
    Of course, that may not necessarily mean you can figure out they're disguised I presume?
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CountDVB View Post
    With everything going on, I expect that Roy may snap and just scream a large "Reason you Suck speech" aimed at Serini or rather the entire Order of the Scribble for basically letting their petty grievances and issues keep them from doing their job.

Heck, I could see the rest of the Order even joining in because of the inanity.
    "I can barely stand any of these self-righteous twerps, but did I let that get in the way of saving the world?"
    "Aye."
    "Did I let it get in the way of saving the world when the world was immediately and clearly at stake?"
    "...Ne'er mind."

So people keep mentioning that Serini should know a bit of what's going on since V and Durkon have been using the sending spell, but if sending spell requires both a name *and* a good idea of the target's physical appearance—
    You're thinking of death notes. Sending requires you to be "familiar" with the subject, not to know any specific piece of information about it. It's vague enough that it could go either way, but if the resident spellcasting experts don't go "Maybe we're just not familiar enough with Serini" then that's probably not the issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blade Wolf View Post
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Winner of Villainous Competitions 8 and 40; silver for 32
    Fanfic

Pixel avatar by me! Other avatar by Recaiden.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Of course, that may not necessarily mean you can figure out they're disguised I presume?
    Correct. Its based on your personal ability to identify a target, not your factual knowledge of them.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

24. - Top - End - #264

"Half expected" is my favorite name for a comic, because a lot of people expected Serini, but we only get "half" of her (the other half is green). Well played, Giant.

What I take from this is that Serini did not have access to a high level cleric, or some way to get a restoration spell, so she had to rely on something else to patch her together.
    I also wonder if how Serini can brew potions, since that requires caster level 3. I think she took levels in bard, since she has the charisma for it.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by elros View Post
    I also wonder if how Serini can brew potions, since that requires caster level 3. I think she took levels in bard, since she has the charisma for it.
    It's an insta-pot. You just throw the ingredients in, and it does all the work for you.
    Yes, I know that is not a thing in D&D
    Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by elros View Post
    "Half expected" is my favorite name for a comic, because a lot of people expected Serini, but we only get "half" of her (the other half is green). Well played, Giant.
    I've interpreted it as a pun on Serini being the halfling we were expecting. It would be the Giant's style, too ("Utterly Dwarfed" for example).

It works as both puns at the same time, as it's true that we weren't expecting that half of Serini's original form would be missing.

Am I wrong in thinking that Serini was only drawn by Rich in non-crayon form in the entirety of the comic including prequels exactly one (1) time? I would find that a bit dishonest, but it could be defensible...
    Offer good while supplies last. Two to a customer. Each item sold separately. Batteries not included. Mileage may vary. All sales are final. Allow six weeks for delivery. Some items not available. Some assembly required. Some restrictions may apply. All entries become our property. Employees not eligible. Entry fees not refundable. Local restrictions apply. Void where prohibited. Except in Indiana.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
    I've interpreted it as a pun on Serini being the halfling we were expecting. It would be the Giant's style, too ("Utterly Dwarfed" for example).

It works as both puns at the same time, as it's true that we weren't expecting that half of Serini's original form would be missing.

Am I wrong in thinking that Serini was only drawn by Rich in non-crayon form in the entirety of the comic including prequels exactly one (1) time? I would find that a bit dishonest, but it could be defensible...
    When? I can't recall a non-crayon depiction of her prior to this at all? Sincerely asking what I'm forgetting.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Watcher View Post
    When? I can't recall a non-crayon depiction of her prior to this at all? Sincerely asking what I'm forgetting.
    Strip #196.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWyrmGold View Post
    "I can barely stand any of these self-righteous twerps, but did I let that get in the way of saving the world?"
    "Aye."
    "Did I let it get in the way of saving the world when the world was immediately and clearly at stake?"
    "...Ne'er mind."
    Yeah though I think that even Belkar noting that the Order is being more sensible than the Scribblers is a clear sign that things are getting screwy.

I do wonder how many of the Scribblers know what happened as they see how their grand plans had been falling apart...

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CountDVB View Post
    I do wonder how many of the Scribblers know what happened as they see how their grand plans had been falling apart...
    Well, most of them are dead, so that's mostly a matter of how many have been paying attention to the mortal plane from whichever afterlife and/or crystal their soul currently resides in. And how good the reception there is.
    Spoiler: Personal assessments
    Show

• Serini doesn't have a celestial/infernal/whatever-the-hell-Limbo-is perch to watch the world, but she seems to have at least a basic information network. She probably has a basic idea of what's going on...especially if she knows not existing is a likely/inevitable occurrence.
    • Dorukan and Lirian are probably busy with each other, and what they'd be physically capable of knowing depends a lot on the details of their imprisonment and where Xykon left that soul gem.
    • If Soon isn't chilling with his dead wife, he's watching his descendants try to protect his legacy. The fact that he didn't pull strings to haunt his good-for-nothing Chaotic Good grandson indicates that he's probably chilling.
    • We don't know a lot about Girard, except "paranoid" and "family-oriented". I wouldn't be surprised if he was watching his descendants up until a few minutes after Vaarsuvius said the wrong four words.
    • Kraagor is, of course, Redcloak's niece. If Right-Eye is as good at protecting his loved ones as Wrong-Eye, she probably got drafted into Xykon's army.

Quote Originally Posted by The Blade Wolf View Post
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Winner of Villainous Competitions 8 and 40; silver for 32
    Fanfic

Pixel avatar by me! Other avatar by Recaiden.