New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 27 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Iron Gods : Double Characters (IC)

Welcome to Torch

The town of Torch has long enjoyed a singular claim to prosperity—a violet flame that burns atop Black Hill in the heart of the town. The flame burned hotter than any normal fire, making it an invaluable resource for the smelting and forging of skymetals. However recently the towns claim to fame has mysteriously been extinguished. Councilor Khonnir Baine, one of Torch’s more powerful wizards decided to investigate the mysterious disappearance and discovered a series of unexplored caverns hidden beneath the Black Hill. After that the town council posted a reward of 4000 gold pieces to who ever relight the flame. A number of expeditions have ventured into the tunnels only one of which has returned. The group that returned was led by Councilor Khonnir Baine himself and he brought back a strange construct from the heart of Black Hill. However his second expedition failed to return and the council has posted another 4000 gold piece reward for his safe return.

Your group has for various reasons decided to join together and have entered town hall to be officially recognized as accepting the bounty. As you enter a Human man greets you he has a mousy look with clothes of a scribe and asks
    "Are you here about the Bounties? If you are I'll need to take your Name and next of kin for the record. After that I'll take you to Miss Dolga she'll answer any questions you may have about the bounty and what's happening."

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Iron Gods : Double Characters (IC)

A young man in a comfortable leather armor, with a rapier on his side and a musket behind his back is the first to report. He reports as if it was business as usual. "Yes, here for the bounties. Name's Thony Radache. My father, Anthond Radache, lives in Olfden, Andoran." His companion, a young beautiful girl with red hair and green eyes, dressed in flashy silks, seems to be much more nervous. "Sarina. Sarina del Arcoiris. I have no next of kin."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Behind Thorny and Sarina stands a tall Kellid. He is young, but has a few scars and haunted eyes that say he has lived through some difficulties already. He smirks and says quietly, "We have been here for years, but fine. For the record I am Kallak, and this is Yarro. And we are each other's next of kin."

The shorter human-looking woman behind Kallak nods. Her hood is pulled up, so details are not easy to see, but she also appears to be a Kellid, perhaps slightly older than Kallak. "Yes, we will find my mentor Khonnor." She speaks with a flat affect.

"And relight the torch." Kallak adds.

4. - Top - End - #4

Lizardfolk

The scribe takes your names commenting " Yes Kallak I remember but after the teams started to go missing we've required people to give next of kin in case of unfortunate demises." He walks away giving the names you gave him to another scribe and quickly comes back "All right just this way please" he walks over to a wooden door in the back of the lobby and gestures for you to go inside.

Inside is the Councils meeting hall six chairs surround a large table covered in papers. At one of the chairs sits a very old female dwarf grumbling as she looks over some papers her back towards your group. The scribe from the door calls out "We got a group of volunteers Miss Dolga" before he shuts it. She turns around finally facing you.
    Spoiler: Dolga Freddert
    Show

"Ahh good I was beginning to lose hope no one would show up. So" Despite her apperant age she gets off her chair and walks over to your group. You all notice she has a silvery war hammer atached to a belt holster. "Now then I'm sure you already know The Torch has gone out, Council man Khonnir Baine is missing and we've offered a heafty reward for both. But I'm sure you've got many questions about the details especially you two" she looks over at Thorny and Sarina.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Thony nods. "Yes. We'll need the information on all the other teams and all the data from Khonnir's first expedition. Then I'll think what else to ask."

Spoiler
    Show
    I will need timing of events, beginning when The Torch went out, visual description and professional composition of all previous teams and anything Khonnir has brought back, both factual and material.

6. - Top - End - #6

Lizardfolk

Dolga Freddert takes a moment counting something under her breath and responds with "It's been about eight days since the Torch went out and seven since the first group went in. They were a group of halfling adventurers. Next was a group of local thugs. The fourth group was a group from out of town a small adventuring party devoted to the worship of Brigh. Khonnir’s team undertook the third and fifth expeditions under Black Hill, and it was on the fifth expedition—his second trip—that he went missing. Khonnir spoke at length with the council before going back in, and he confirmed what his group told us, despite how outlandish it sounded. That was about two days ago. That will make you the fifth team to go in.”

"Now About what he told us he said the caves are inhabited by several enormous vermin and other scavengers, along with some strange humanoids who had the ability to blend into the shadows of the cave walls, and a nest of gremlins. Khonnir believed this indicated a deeper connection in the caves to the Darklands, but of more immediate interest was his discovery of a wall of solid metal deep in the caves. A wall made of a skymetal alloy called glaucite. He said it was like the kind we mine from the hills and surrounding plains, but formed into a structure with doors. It was near one of these doors that Khonnir found the broken automaton that he brought back after his first expedition.”

Skill Prompts
    • Who are these Local thugs she's talking about? K. Local DC10
    • Who is the god Brigh? K. Religion DC10
    Last edited by Sleepy Shade; 2021-02-21 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Adding skill prompts

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

"More questions then. Did Khonnir leave a sketch of a map? Did he decisively deal with anything animate he has encountered or did he mostly practice avoidance? Did he find any signs of groups one and two? Did he say what would be the plan for his second trip? Do you think that learning more about the automaton that he brought back could be in any way relevant to the success of our mission? What entrance, and, expecially, what exit is to be used, I mean, if we are to relight The Torch?"

8. - Top - End - #8

Lizardfolk

Dolga Freddert thinks for a moment and walks back over to the table picking up a few sheets of paper and reading them and then comes back over to you. "Well unfortunatly he didn't leave a map but the way he described it it was a pretty straight shot to the metal wall. Well as straight as a cave can be in any case.

What's in there is every thing I told you about everything he knew at least. Not sure what those huminoids he described are but the gremlins are mean little sneaks. They break anything and everything.

As for his future plans well I guess go beyond the metal wall. Not much you can do in a cave but go deeper.

He didn't mention anything about the other groups so my guess is either he didn't run into them.

As for the thing he brought out well he left it over at his house at the back of the Foundry Tavern. Maybe you can make heads or tails of it.

As for how to get in to the caves? Well apperantly There’s an underwater passage connecting them to Weeping Pond. Khonnir noticed a large number of human footprints on the pond’s banks—he was there the day the fires went out testing the water to ensure it hadn’t suddenly grown more toxic—and he realized that a sizable group of people had entered the pond but had not emerged. He took al look around making sure they hadn't drowned and found a under water cave."

Skill Propts
    • Gremlins? K Nature DC?
    • Weeping Pond Toxic? K Local DC10
    Last edited by Sleepy Shade; 2021-02-21 at 02:23 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9

SamuraiGuy

Yarro looks at Kallak and says, "I saw Khonnir put something in his study after he got back from his first expedition, but I did not examine it closely. I would like to do so before we enter the cave." She then turns to include Thorny and Sarina, "And it would be good to have some cold iron in case we meet those gremlins."

Kallak nods at Yarro, then says to Dolga, "Sorry, Miss Dolga, is going through the pond the only way into these caves?".

10. - Top - End - #10

Lizardfolk

Dolga looks at Kallak "Unfortunaly yes. We've found no way in or out besides those caverns under Weeping Pond. However if your worried about getting inside the coucil has been negogiating with certain people in town to help. Joram Kyte has agreed to cast water breathing on any group to aid in entering the caves—free of charge, of course. You can find him at the temple of Brigh or up at Crowfeather Palace when you’re ready to go. Also once you’re on the job, I’ll give each of you a writ that you can show to any of the merchants in town for a flat 20% discount on any gear you need to purchase—I wish I could offer a greater discount than that, but that’s the best I can do. Further, Val, Khonnir’s adopted daughter, has closed down her father’s tavern, the Foundry, for the time being. She’s told me that any group that’s going into the caves to look for her father can use the tavern, free of charge, as a headquarters and a place to rest between forays."
    Last edited by Sleepy Shade; 2021-02-22 at 01:31 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

"Water breathing? But..." Sarina stumbles there for a moment "...I mean, you've said the water is toxic? What would it do if we try to breathe it?"

"How much wather we are to cover? I think we won't have that spell on our way up."

12. - Top - End - #12

Lizardfolk

Dolga looks over at Sarina "I know it sound scary but I assure you it not that long. Khonnir estimated it was around fifty feet from the opening to the first cavern. As for the toxicity of the lake it's not so bad that you'll die from it. I wouldn't drink it but the worst that will happen is you'll feel like puking for a minute or two."
    Last edited by Sleepy Shade; 2021-02-22 at 01:45 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13

SamuraiGuy

Kallak nods. "Well, that is reassuring about the pond, Miss Dolga, thanks. Do you know anything about the purple-haired woman who was in town? Apparently she caused quite a stir around town, and no one has seen her since the Torch went out."

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

"I have no more questions at the moment, just one last thing: any fees, duties, taxes, restrictions or limitations on anything we might find there and bring here? Or will we be free to deal with it as we see fit?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Ready to complete the paperwork and go meet Val.
    Last edited by u-b; 2021-02-23 at 04:33 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15

Lizardfolk

Miss Dolga takes a moment contemplating before answering " I'm sorry dear but I haven't heard anything about a purple haired woman. Maybe a gnome? But as for any restrictions you'll be free to do things as you see fit as long as you can rescue Khonnir, alive preferably, and relight the Torch. However with so many missing teams I'm sure their loved ones would love to have their bodies back for proper burial. Now if you have any other questions you can talk to me or Joram Kyte once you are ready to head down into the caves." She returns to the desk and brings back a few sheets of paperwork for you to sign. After that she gives you a piece of paper with a special wax stamp on it. "Alright you're now officialy working for Torch, Just show that to any local shop keep and they give you a twenty percent discount on your purchases."

If you have no more questions you can leave and go where you want

16. - Top - End - #16

SamuraiGuy

Kallak nods. "Thank you, Miss Dolga. We'll probably want to head out in the morning, but we'll see." He and Yarro rise and leave the town hall.

Yarro looks off into the distance as she states "I am going to go inspect the automaton."

Kallak quickly interjects, "That sounds like a good idea for all of us, right? Sarina, Thorny, you in? We can talk to Val at the same time, and see if Khonnir told her anything about his first trip into the caves."

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

"We are with you." says Thony and follows towards the Foundry Tavern.

18. - Top - End - #18

Lizardfolk

Whith their buissness at the Townhall concluded our heros head off to the Foundry Tavern. By the time you arive it's noon. The Taven is next door to Khonnir's foundry where he is often tinkering with parts and inventing. However both buildings are closed right now. Everyone suddenly hears a girl scream and a sudden cacophany like metal hitting something. It seems to be coming from the back in Khonnir's house.

A set up of the map is here

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

"Run!" Thony did not bother explaining who he would want to run where, but Sarina took him hurrying between the buildings towards the house in the back as an example to follow. By the time they are out of the narrow passage, Thony already has his musket in hand.

Spoiler
    Show
    Are we round-by-round for this one?

20. - Top - End - #20

SamuraiGuy

Kallak follows Thorny, not drawing any weapons yet but getting ready to, should it become necessary.

Yarro runs around the side of the tavern, making sure her alchemist supplies are secure and available on her belt.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    So Yarro goes to the left around the tavern, with her goal being to get to back and see Khonnir's house from a slightly different vantage than the others.

21. - Top - End - #21

Lizardfolk

Kallak, Thony and Sarina run up the allyway and are now standing in front of the house. Yarro decides to take the long way around and eventually is also standing in front of the house off to the side. Inside you hear something big break. Thony takes a look inside and sees that the door to what looks like the store room has been broken down into the hallway. You still hear something breaking stuff and something faintly like a voice though it's being drowned out by the constant scraping and clawing of metal on walls. You can't see what's making the noise.

Battle map here

22. - Top - End - #22

SamuraiGuy

Hearing the noises from inside the building, Kallak thinks back to the couple of times he has visited Yarro here. "The main entrance is around the side," he tells the others. He looks at Yarro and points to the "back" door (the one to his left), and tells Yarro "Wait here." He then runs around to the right side, going up to the east door, stealing a quick glance into the main room if he can.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Can he peak in to the window in the main room near the door? And get ready to open the door in the same round? If we are going by rounds now, it looks like it is a move action to get within ten feet of the door, then a second move to go to the window and back to the door.

Yarro nods to Kallak, and goes up to the window looking into the small south hallway, to see if there is anything in there.
    Last edited by Continental Op; 2021-02-24 at 08:01 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Thony hurries to where Kallak said the door is. He sees the door, a window near it and, through it, he sees another window on the north side, so he continues on to north side and stops near the window there, looking into the room. Sarina stops just past the door, looking into the eastern window.

Spoiler
    Show
    I am assuming Thony carries his rifle loaded (powder+bullet). Let me know if it is not so.
    Last edited by u-b; 2021-02-25 at 09:16 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24

Lizardfolk

Thony,Kallak and Sarina all run around to the east side of the house and Thony continues to the north side. Looking through the windows you see a spidery 3 legged machine which appears to be attacking the wall trying to take pieces of it out it. The machine is sparking and vocalizing something. You can't see Val.

Spoiler: Picture of the creature
    Show

Battle Map Here
    Last edited by Sleepy Shade; 2021-02-25 at 11:57 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

"I don't see the girl, neither here nor there." says Thony, making a step back from the window to have space for his musket and takes an aim at the thing, but does not shoot. Sarina does not seem like doing much either.

Spoiler
    Show
    Thony: step, ready a shot at the machine in case things go hot (e.g. anyone attacks anything, like Kallak vs machine), active perception (1d20+6)[21] (can we make any sense of what the thing is vocalizing?) forgot we have a thread for that
    Sarina: delay until Thony has taken his shot (she sees him taking the aim), then step or move to have a line of effect (requires an open door or a broken window; a window that was just shot through will do) and place a grease under the machine
    Last edited by u-b; 2021-02-25 at 12:18 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26

SamuraiGuy

Kallak slowly opens the door and steps into the building. He holds out his hands in the innately human method to show non-aggression, while still keeping his weight on the balls of his feet and his greatsword ready on his back in case he needs it. Between the scream earlier and its apparent hostility towards the wall, Kallak is not holding out much hope that it can be reasoned with. But he has to try.

Kallak speaks a low and (hopefully) soothing Androffan. "Situation normal. Non-hostile detected. No immediate threat in area." Kallak has only done this once or twice before growing up in his parents' shop, but he uses his natural "reprogram"-type empathy to try to calm the robot down.

Meanwhile, Yarro is peeking into the window of the southern hallway, near the other door to the house. If she does not see anything, she opens the door and tries to sneak to the door on her right - the other door into the main living area. Her left hand unconsciously taps the reagents on her belt, itching to make a bomb.

27. - Top - End - #27

Lizardfolk

Kallak's attempt to calm the creature at first seems to be working as it stops attacking the wall. However it turns and moves towards Kallak the machine sparking and stumbling as it moves the few feet towards you on only three legs. It stops in front of you either unable or unwilling to move around Kallak. It looks at him with it's single glowing eye. Kallack now also hears someone else, hiding under the table and out of sight is the girl Val. Shes trying to keep quite with the large machine so close.

Battle map here

Spoiler: For those who speak Androffan
    Show

"Detection fail rerouting to.... Error orcanic susssstrate blockering covine remotal"

Spoiler: Val Baine
    Show

Skill prompts
    Know. Engineering Identifying the creature: DC11
    Diplomacy Convince Val to leave her spot: DC10
    Last edited by Sleepy Shade; 2021-02-26 at 11:14 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28

SamuraiGuy

Kallak sees that the robot-thing is not exactly hostile, at least not yet. He does not want it to escape outside, so he stays where he is. "Yarro!" he shouts, hoping she can hear him. "We could use your help with this thing!" Then he points to the other door, and says, trying to be calm and soothing again. "Val, girl. Go to the other door. This thing will not get you. Out you go, now."

-------------------------------------

Yarro opened the south door and was standing in the south hallway. If she hears Kallak, she will open the door to the main room.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Thony stands still, keeping his aim and ready to pull the trigger. Sarina steps to the left, getting herself a clean line of effect and also stands ready.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ready a shot and a grease.

30. - Top - End - #30

Lizardfolk

The robot takes a swipe at Kallak, it's hostility confimed Thony lets loose a shot and Sarina casts grease. The robot misses Kallak its claw hitting the floor, Thony's shot misses, his bullet hitting the wall near Yarro. Sarina's grease coats the floor behind and under the robot and the robot falls to the ground it's malfunctioning limbs slipping in the grease.
    Val rushes out the door but keeps close to the fight.

Battle map Here