New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Barbarian in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: Iron Gods : Double Characters (IC)

Yarro responds to Sarina, "Probably set here to guard, I think. And do Gremlins speak Undercommon?" She shrugs at the holy symbol, but takes her time examining the potions in turn, before handing them to Kallak. Kallak also takes the belt pouch and holy symbol. "I don't mind carrying these for the group, unless anyone objects. I figure we can settle up accounts back in town. Could anyone tell which group this might have been part of? I guess the holy symbol could maybe tell us something, but I don't know what it is."

A little while later, before the torch goes out, Kallak also offers, "Hey all, if I really am the only one who needs to light, I can do without it a while while we wait for Sarina to recover. So longs as you two (motioning to Thorny and Yarro) can keep a lookout, I can wait to strike up another torch until we are ready to go on."

Yarro nods, and adds, "And I think we should go on, but you all should know that I have only two bombs left. I can switch to my crossbow after that, but I will be less effective."

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ettin in the Playground

"Sorry, not an expert on religions. Not one of Cayden's, that for sure." "Me neither. I doubt it's one of our major faiths. At least, I don't remember anyone with this symbol."

Spoiler
    Show
    No objection to spending some time in the dark and then coninuing on.

3. - Top - End - #123

SamuraiGuy

After examining the potions, Yarro states "This is lucky for us. These are potions of cure light wounds. I have this spell memorized, so I suggest two others should carry these, just in case." She hands one to Thorny and one to Kallak.

During the down time, Kallak feels out Thorny and Sarina a bit about their feelings on the Technic League. "I know you both have said before that you are not from Numeria, but have you had any dealings with the Technic League? They basically run this country."

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ettin in the Playground

Thony puts the potion in the bandolier. "Had no real contact with it and no dealings. Taking this town, they don't seem too active running it, as far as I can notice, and we have not been anywhere else." Thony shtugs. He apparently couldn't care less about the Technic League. "Southwards?"

5. - Top - End - #125

SamuraiGuy

Yarro chimes in, "Maybe we should go back towards the cave entrance by this path to the west, to cover our escape? I believe it would be better if something behind us, like those fire beetles, does not move in while we are exploring and block the way back, when we are tired and depleted. I am guessing we will need to explore this cavern in stages, like my mentor."

Kallak shrugs. "I'm fine, either way."

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ettin in the Playground

"Well, yeah, I suppose our goal is somewhere to the east, but no objection to playing it safe. That is, as safe as this could be played with the statistics at hand. Lead on." Thony seems to be fine with the plan. The Torch could well wait and the man is not a close friend of Thony's to rush saving him ahead of the man's own friends, even for a reward. Sarina seems to have no objections either, if only because she normally relied on Thony for decisions like that and did not have a strong opinion.

7. - Top - End - #127

SamuraiGuy

Once Sarina regains her sight, Kallak strikes a torch and hands it to Yarro. He then takes the lead on the path towards the east, with Yarro behind him.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

As you head down the west passage you see a collection of stalactites and stalagmites choke this low-ceilinged cavern, making it difficult to squeeze between them. Matching stalactites close in from the five-foot-high ceiling, giving the impression of a maw of needlelike teeth bearing down on one another. A dead half-orc sprawls on the ground near the cave’s eastern entrance. You can faintly hear the beetles skittering around beyond the west exit.

Battle map here

Skill prompts
    Know local: DC 10
    Heal :DC12
    Last edited by Sleepy Shade; 2021-04-22 at 05:59 PM.

9. - Top - End - #129

Lizardfolk

Turning over the half-ork Kallak and Yarro are able to recognize a long time patron of the bar and a minor friend Parda Garr. She was a brawler who was well liked by everyone in town. However lately she started hanging out with the Rope Fist gang. Seems she paid the ultimate price for associating her self with them. However you also notice that on her back are a number of wounds too clean to be made with claws. You can tell that they are most likely knife wounds and were done by an experienced combatant.

Continue on and clear out the beetles?

10. - Top - End - #130

SamuraiGuy

Kallak shakes his head, pointing to the knife wounds in Parda's back. He then leads the way forward, towards the fire beetles. On the way he looks behind the stalagmites, making sure nothing is going to leap out at them.

11. - Top - End - #131

Lizardfolk

You quickly move through the small forest of stalactites and stalagmites as you near the west entrance you can see the flickering lights of the beetles.
    Are you gonna go charging in or attack from afar?

12. - Top - End - #132

SamuraiGuy

As soon as they start to get close, Kallak quietly pulls out his bow and starts trying to sneak up on the beetles. His hope is to get off an arrow to two before they get in melee. He also fervently hopes they do not breathe fire...

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ettin in the Playground

Thony sneaks some distance behind Kallak. Sarina lets them go with the assumption that they will either eventually fall back or win without her intervention.

14. - Top - End - #134

Lizardfolk

Kallak sneaks up on the beetles easily as they seem more interested in scrounging for food than keeping a lookout for predators. They seem interested in what looks like a patch of burnt ground. Behind him about 20 feet is Thony ready to help out if needed.

You're in battle
    You have the surprise round.
    Spoiler: Initiative
    Show

1. Thony
    2. Sarina
    3. Kallak
    4. Beetles
    5. Yarro

Battle map here

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ettin in the Playground

Thony is all ready for Kallak to start a fight. He might be able to get one shot straight, but then the rifle misfires again.

Spoiler
    Show
    For the surprise round Thony will ready an action. A shot if he can see a target, a move if he cannot. On his normal round the rifle misfires. Sarina is not participating.
    Last edited by u-b; 2021-04-26 at 11:16 AM.

16. - Top - End - #136

SamuraiGuy

Kallak nocks an arrow and aims for the beetle to the north, furthest from the water. He releases just as the beetle pauses in its movements.

Edit: For Kallak's action after the surprise round, he quickly draws another arrow. If the first beetle he shot at is still moving, he fires at it again. Otherwise, he moves on to the next beetle in the line, the one northwest of him and shoots it.
    Last edited by Continental Op; 2021-04-26 at 11:04 PM.

17. - Top - End - #137

Lizardfolk

Kallak fires at the closest beetle skewering it. Thony realizes that he'll need to move up as he can't get a good sight on the enemy. The beetles now alerted to Kallak's presence focus on him. But kallak loosed another arrow and pins another to the cave floor. Finally with a clear line of sight to a target Thony brings his rifle up but it again misfires. The final beetle opens it's shell and flies toward Kallak. It tries to bite the young man but is not able to get a good grip.

Battle map here

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ettin in the Playground

Not wanting to waste time clearing his rifle, Thony draws the rapier and attacks in melee. He pierces the beetle right through and keeps it that way until it stops moving. He then lets it fall to the floor, wipes and sheathes the rapier and takes time to clear and reload the rifle. He then looks around for anything noteworthy (a close view of scorch marks and what not).
    Last edited by u-b; 2021-04-28 at 11:20 AM.

19. - Top - End - #139

Lizardfolk

With Thony's stab the final beetle finally falls silent. With a new vantage point everyone can see the scorch marks near the shore of the stony beach. A more through look might be needed to make sense of tracks you see in the soot.

Combat is complete
    Everyone gets : 105 XP

Climbing up and down the 5 foot cliff: DC 10
    Survival Making sense of the tracks: DC20

20. - Top - End - #140

SamuraiGuy

Kallak nods at Thorny in thanks for dispatching the last beetle. He then carefully climbs down the embankment and examines the track.

21. - Top - End - #141

Lizardfolk

Kallak climbs down the 5 foot cliff and takes a look at the tracks while he can tell some are human like tracks and various animals as well there are to many crossing over each other to get a clear picture. With both entrances clear the group must make a decision. Continue into the cave or return to town and rest up?
    Last edited by Sleepy Shade; 2021-04-30 at 07:14 PM.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ettin in the Playground

Thony looks as Kallak tries to make sense of numerous tracks. "Seems to be a popular place. Shall we move on deeper inside?" "Can we wait for a moment? I want leave a message here." Sarina takes a blank (formerly mage armor) scroll and writes a chort recap of what the party did and encountered so far. Then whe puts it near the dead beetles, places a small stone over it so that it stays put, but is still clearly visible. Then she is ready to go.

23. - Top - End - #143

SamuraiGuy

Kallak stares at the tracks a little longer, then gives it up as a lost cause. "I can't make anything out down here. As you say Thorny, the palce is too popular."

Kallak comes back up, and looks a little askance at Sarina. "You don't think we're going to make it back?"

Kallak has a small smile on his face, but Yarro either does not see it or it does not register. So she states in a matter-of-fact way, "It is always best to prepare. And Sarina's note is really for the town's benefit. I, for one, approve." Kallak just nods, and does not correct Yarro.

"Yes, I think we are ready to proceed. I will take point again, and we can take that path to the south now. Hoepfully there are no more of those weird frog-things."

24. - Top - End - #144

Lizardfolk

You return to the cave with the dead blindheim and start down the south exit. You find it leads to a long tunnel heading deeper into the mountain. You exit into an odd room that from Thony and Kallaks perspective reminds them of the dump. A collection of crates, boxes, rubble, and scavenged metal lies heaped in the northwest section of this damp cave. Several strange chalk drawings of twisted, spiny plants, a strange three-legged creature, and emaciated four-armed humanoids mark the walls.

Battle map here

You have 4hours and 20 minutes left of water breathing.

25. - Top - End - #145

SamuraiGuy

Kallak whispers to the others "What could have gathered all this trash? Those gremlins?". Kallak hefts his cold iron planson and cautiously approaches the garbage pile, waving the others back, listening for any sounds of movement.

Yarro takes the moment to examine the strange drawings (from where she is), to see if she recognizes anything.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ettin in the Playground

Thony just watches the passages. He is not particularly interested in a pile of garbage. At the moment, at least. "Is that the depiction of the same robot we have seen for real?" says Sarina pointing at the drawing of a three-legged creature "If so, maybe the rest is to await us too."

27. - Top - End - #147

Lizardfolk

The drawing of the three legged creature is very much the repair robot you saw earlier. The others however your not sure about the four limbed one. The garbage it's self seems to be just garbage but you notice that among the garbage are a number of technology items ruined but the sight gives you hope more tech is further in the mountain.
    While Kallak is looking over the garbage pile Yarro takes note of some of the pieces he digs out and between the two of them you find 7 silver disks.

Knowledge local DC20 to identify the four armed creature.
    Which way? Southeast or west?

28. - Top - End - #148

SamuraiGuy

Kallak keeps out his planson. "Southeast?" Unless there are objections, he starts heading down the tunnel.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ettin in the Playground

Neither Thony nor Sarina have any objections. They follow Kallak and Yarro in the same previously established order.

30. - Top - End - #150

Lizardfolk

As you enter the passage way you feel something is off. The air is colder and you even see a rim of frost lining parts of the walls and floor of the passage way. You soon enter a cavern your standing on a small cliff overlooking the cave and about ten feet below you see the cave floor and what seems to be a light layer of brown dust carpets the cave floor. a body of some sort sits slumped against the eastern wall.

Skill propts
    What is this stuff?
    Knowledge dungeon: DC 12
    or Survival: DC15
    Battle map Here