New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Default From the Journals of Elis Took 7

From the Journals of Elis Took.

Sean piloted us upriver as the evening settles in. Eventually, we found a nice camping spot. After making sure it was not occupied, we settled in for the night. Gil and Bronxy took the first watch. To support our casters, I took the second watch.

I woke up before my shift, and the gnome and doggo-goyle were running away. I kicked Sean awake, warned that Gil is running, and took off after the wayward gnome. I caught them a half-mile later, with Gil in a tree and the doggo-goyle guarding the tree. I approached, but since the doggo-goyle knew me, I was not attacked. Instead, it pinned me and started panting over me. I hazarded a guess that Bronxy was excited to see me.

I exercised my vocabulary and asked Gil to call off the doggo-goyle. She demurred; she found being in this tree was just peachy for the time being.

Meanwhile, back at camp, unbeknownst to me, Angus had awoken and began tracking us.

I lifted Bronxy off myself and ascended the tree. I inquired as to what had spooked Gil; the gnome was utterly convinced that something in the darkness was going to slay her. I assured Gil this was not the case. I promised no harm would come to Gil. Gil responded by climbing higher into the tree.

Gnomes can be infuriating, can't they dear reader?

Meanwhile, the casters were back at camp, left to their own devices (i.e., defenseless). Fergus noticed a witch riding a serpent flying overhead in the moon light.

Angus tracked us to the tree and climbed up to join us. I briefed him on what happens. We conferred on a way to return Gil to camp without harming her.

The spellcasters stayed at camp, but saw another witch on a broomstick, flying overhead. Another witch on a raven followed shortly thereafter. Angus and I noticed the broomstick witch flying past us. I pointed to the witch and recommended to Gil that we should go in the other direction.

The spellcasters noticed two more witches fly over.

One last time, I tried reasoning with Gil. But I noticed three more witches fly overhead. As I worked to convince Gil to come down with me, Angus also decided staying in the tree was a wonderful idea. Defeated, I asked them to protect each other and told Bronxy to stay. I traveled back to camp, where there were no spellcasters.

Wonderful! But the boat was still here, so perhaps they had not gone far.

Sean and Fergus came out of hiding. While conversing, Sean and I saw a farmhouse fly by. Fergus noticed nothing, as he ranted about witches. I convinced the spellcasters to come back to the tree. Fergus thought climbing the tree was an excellent idea; he joined the other two.

Spellcasters will be my death, dear reader.

Sean took matters by the bit and attempted to hypnotic pattern the others out of the tree. Gil and Fergus came down; Angus strongly refused. Fergus and Gil both fell out of the tree following the hypnotic pattern; both managed to land without injuring themselves. We led them back to the boat. Angus stayed in the tree. Sean saw more witches flying overhead.

Back in our camp, I tried once more to reason with Fergus and Gil. Both slowly came around. Afterwards, Fergus and I returned to the tree to fetch Angus. We successfully convinced Angus to return to our camp.

And the witches just kept coming.

The witches were headed towards the mountains. Our targets, the wizards, were headed towards the mountains. We had to head to towards to the mountains, or we drowned.

Gil and Angus remained on guard. Sean, Fergus, and I went back to sleep. Night finished uneventfully.

With morning, we all awoke feeling refreshed. Sean piloted us upriver through the morning. Suddenly, we hit something. There was a break in the river, as if a priest has parted the river, crossed its bed, and left the parted river behind. Fergus prepared to dispel the...interruption, but there were a number of woodland creatures in the break. I attempted to scatter them and to drive them towards shore; why deplete the local population? We may have been on an involuntary mission for Lord WADE, but we still served our conscience. Instead, the woodland creatures gathered around me, as if fascinated. So, I picked up the boat and moved it across the break. Then I led the woodland creatures to shore. Fergus successfully dispelled the magic interrupting the river.

This was just in time for some locals to show up and harangue us about destroying their path across the river. As I was ashore and surrounded by local wildlife, they assumed I was a witch! But before serious combat could begin, my comrades landed the boat. I boarded it, and we took our leave of the hostile locals. Meanwhile, the local wildlife continued to follow us from along the shore. Gil tried taking us downriver. Not the plan! Angus took over and piloted the boat back upriver. But the local wildlife had started swimming out to the boat and boarding!

Giving up, we came ashore and setup camp again.

During his night watch, Fergus started screaming. Sean and I awoke to the screams. I tried to snap Fergus out of his fit but was unsuccessful; Sean failed as well. I carried Fergus to the shore and dunked him in an attempt to break his fear. I still failed. Sean tried to talk him down, but Fergus fled the camp. We failed in our attempt to restrain him. Sean stayed behind; I pursued Fergus. I finally treed him fifteen minutes later, about a mile away. I was unable to convince him to come down, so I joined him. And tried to hog-tie Fergus so I could take him back to camp. It took three tries, but SUCCESS! We went back to camp.

We noted every night, somebody's scared and climbs a tree. Then they stayed there. WHAT DID IT MEAN!?

Angus woke up and started screaming. I tried to hogtie him and missed. Then I tried the lasso thing. And it worked! But I could not drag the highlander back to camp; I had no leverage. I was slowly being pulled away from camp.

Meanwhile, Sean convinced Fergus to cast remove fear on himself. It seemed successful. Partially. Nope, not at all!

I changed plans. When hogtying failed, I fastened one end to a tree! SUCCESS! I tried to convince Fergus to come back and have a bit of tea and some scones. Angus refused; the highlander wanted haggis. I lied and offered haggis. Angus did not believe me! I was cut to the quick.

Fine. I decided if subtle would not work, it was back to hogtying. I was unsuccessful, and Angus broke free. I untied his legs and let him run.

I returned to camp and conferred with Sean. Had the sprites caused this as their bindings weaken? Sean said no, he was certain this was the work of witches.

(OOC: DM said, I hadn't thought of that. $#!+.)

I let Sean return to sleep; he had been trying to help. I kept watch, with crazy Fergus and the woodland creatures.

After the night passes, Gil woke up. I feed her and sent her after Angus. Fergus said he was fine. But if he was mind-controlled by witches, was that not exactly what he would claim? Eventually, I freed him, with the warning that I would eat ol' Longshanks if he gave me any more grief. That was a hollow threat, dear reader, but it had been a long night. In response, Fergus conjured a breakfast. The local wildlife, still gathered, provided me with nuts and berries. Gil and Angus returned. Angus still wanted haggis, but I lied. I shared my nuts and berries, while Fergus conjured black pudding. Angus was mollified.

We fortified ourselves with a good meal. And I took a nap. My compatriots noted the way the witches were headed. We might be out of the flight path shortly; getting an inn and sleeping through the night might work. We only seemed to be affected when we wake up. We high-tailed it for Bushton the Old.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    This one is summarized WAY after the fact. I don't have any pithy recollections to share, unfortunately.
    Last edited by thorr-kan; 2022-04-23 at 09:50 PM.
    I have a blog; come see what I've created: https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.com/
    -The 2024 Character Creation Challenge (#charactercreationchallenge):
    https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.c...tionchallenge/

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Campaign Journal: From the Journals of Elis Took.

Welcome back. Looks like I have some catching up to do.

3. - Top - End - #33

EvilClericGuy

OOC added and Bronxy the Doggo-goyle links corrected.
    I have a blog; come see what I've created: https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.com/

4. - Top - End - #34
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Library Ogre: Brief Awakening
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

5. - Top - End - #35

EvilClericGuy

Default From the Journals of Elis Took 8

We reached the waters of the river. Once there, the party debated what to do with the boat. We decided to leave; the spirits' binding will fade, and can then use the boat to flogat leisurely downstream! But first we hid the boat. Then it was off to Bushton the Old! Night fell before we arrived, but we pushed on.

Actually, we do not. My compatriots convinced me another night rough would not kill me. After dinner, I took first watch. Something approached our camp. I woke the gnome and the Highlander. It appeared to be a 12-year-old boy. I welcomed him to our camp and asked what can we do?

"Have you seen any witches tonight?" he asked.

"We have not, young sir." I replied

He had seen a meeting of witches and the Lord of Hell. He was on a quest to save a Princess of Knee and free her from a curse. We wished him good luck with that. I offered hospitality; he was grateful, because he had not eaten for days. He had hid from witches in hollow of a tree. He remained with us the rest of the night. My woodland menagerie fascinated him.

Night passed. The boy remained there in the morning. We split breakfast and sent him on his way. In morning's light, we belied last night's fear effect was the result of the Lord of Hell. We entered Bushton the Old. There, we were greeted by wanted posters with caricatures of us on them. There is a 2000gp reward for us, dead, offered by Wizards of the Coast. They desired our heads. I had an additional bounty for art theft, Angus for slaughtering small children in the temple, Sean for an unpaid bar tab, Gil for kicking puppies, and Fergus for committing plagiarism in his poetry contest.

Sean disguised us with his illusions, and we moseyed through town. But we were then mistaken for the boy, apparently named Izar, from last night by someone who turned out to be his older brother. We tried dissuading him in his belief. That proved difficult, as Gil and I were virtual twins of the last. The brother continued pestering us. Was it witchcraft? Were we possessed? Why were there two of us? We continued out of town, but a crowd kept gathering.

Fergus created water over the brother and other bystanders. We bolted out of town. As the part exited, they realized I was not with them.

The party returned to town. Several minutes later, I showed up with followers. Angus came to get me, and I kept going. The rest of the party followed, but I again fell behind. Angus picked me up, over my non-strenuous non-objections. The posse took exception to this and began stoning us. Angus was hit by one rock, and the rest of us took some injury, but we outran the posse. We travelled a bit further, then made camp for the night.

As we sat down to dine, six large wolves entered the camp site. Though seemingly unfriendly, Fergus offered them some of our conjured ham. The wolves took exception to this and bit Fergus. The fight was on!

I lifted the wolf that had bit Fergus, while Fergus blessed the party. Sean cast a colorful spell that knocked out a wolf. My wolf escaped, and the rest swarmed me. Gil and Bronxy savaged a wolf, while Angus struck two others.

I stabbed the one that got away from me. Fergus began chanting. Sean cast another colorful spell, throwing an orb at another wolf. The wolves then swarmed Fergus. Gil and Bronxy continued savaging their wolf, and Angus struck two more.

I stabbed another wolf. Fergus maintained his chant. Sean attempted to frighten one wolf, but it remained unafraid. Again, the wolves swarmed me. Gil and Angus each manage to slay their wolves. Bronxy then slayed the wolf fighting me.

I disengaged and quaffed a potion. Fergus continued to chant. Sean threw a dagger and winged one. The remainder attacked Fergus, negating his chant. Gil missed, but Angus and Bronxy both successfully battled their respective opponents.

I threw my dagger at one remaining wolf. Fergus healed himself. Sean also threw a dagger, but the wolf still stood! What did it take to kill this thing?! Wolves swarmed Angus and nicked Gil. Gil attacked her attacker. Ferus killed one. Bronxy attacked successfully.

I stayed out of combat. Fergus resumed his chant. Sean interposed himself between Fergus and wolf. Fergus missed. Gil missed. Angus missed. Bronxy missed.

I stayed out of combat. Fergus continued chant. Sean scrounged for a dagger. A wolf managed to nick Angus. Gil dropped her sword. Angus hit with a mighty blow. Bronxy missed.

I moved in and punched the ground. Fergus maintained chant. Sean missed with his dagger. The wolf missed. Gil picked up her sword. Angus missed. Bronxy slayed the beast.

Fergus healed most of the party's ills. We burned the corpses, concerned about lycanthropy. Sean found this unlikely; they were harmed by mundane weapons. Fergus could remove curse if necessary; he does so, just in case, on: myself, himself, and Angus. Gil will be cured tomorrow.

We camped for the rest of the night.

Show
    Again, summarized way after the fact. A brutal combat, but being pure of heart and mind, we once emerged, victorious!

6. - Top - End - #36

EvilClericGuy

Default From the Journals of Elis Took 9

Gil did not turn into a werewolf overnight. Our luck may have turned for the better. Fergus cast remove curse anyways, just to be certain.

We traveled for another uneventful day. By noon the next day, our magic map seemed to show us catching our quarry. We heard a ferocious boom as the ground quaked. Gil and Angus fell to the ground, though the rest of use kept our balance. Sean realized he no longer recalled his full complement of spells. A quick check showed the rest of us had many of our magic items nullified. We had been subjected to a mass arcane dispel, a tool used by an ancient order of priest to combat arcanists. (OOC: A call out to my Al-Qadim campaign!)

From the distance came the sound of much divine smiting raining down on some arcanists. There was also an unpleasant smell of burned flesh ahead.

I reconnoitered over the trail summit ahead of us. A quick peak showed a host of corpses and two groups, both in dire straights. Over 50 bodies had been turned to charcoal about 200' down slope from the summit. I gestured my comrades to come forward silently.

One group was equipped in the heraldry of Tyr. Those would be the chest owners and allies of Wade. The other group was our targets, the Wizards of the Coast. Gil unlimbered a bow, while I futilely sought any boulders to throw. I question Gil, "Could I throw Bronxy?" "Sure!" came the reply. I do. A HIT! But the dogoyle appeared injured as well. Oops!

The priest of Tyr fell. Fergus and Sean began acting stupid. Feebleminded! I later learned. Fergus attacked downslope with a hammer. Gil started shooting arrows; an enemy wizard went down. Sean sat down, petting his dog. Angus also charged downslope.

Bronxy fled the battlefield. A fireball struck Fergus and Angus, while a dire wolf attacked me. I slung a bullet at the remaining wizard and just missed. Angus engaged the remaining fighters, while Fergus continued his advance. Gil continued to rain arrows on the remaining wizard.

The wizard cast arcane bolts at Fergus and myself; Fergus fell. I knifed the wolf, as I realized it was no longer magical. Gil continued to pelt the wizard. Angus finally reached the wizard, but failed engaging him in melee. The paladins serving Tyr engaged the fighters serving the Wizards.

The dire wolf continued it's attack on me, but missed. The remaining wizard managed to put Angus to sleep. Bronxy returned to protect Gil. Gil shot the wizard with a might blow; he died! I engaged the dire wolf, but also missed.

The two groups of warriors continued to fight, not realizing their masters had fallen. Gil shot and slew the wolf. I raced forward to save our fallen comrades.

I penetrated the swirling, continuing melee and sought my comrades. Gil provided cover fire while Bronxy remained faithfully nearby.

A fighter struck me, but I sank a dagger into his ribs. I then flanked him and kicked Angus awake. Gil continued to cover us, engaging the fighters. Some paladins remained fighting.

Another fighter struck at me. I knifed him as well, yelling at Angus to patch up Fergus. Fergus regained consciousness, but remained stupid. Gil's archery finally failed to strike, as did the surviving paladins.

Both fighters futilely swung at me, but it was time to cut my losses. Angus handed me Fergus (Editor's note: Uncle Elis missed no opportunity to gloat about his girdle of giant strength-enhanced abilities.), and I rabbited up the hill. Gil continued providing cover fire. The paladins continued fighting inefficiently. Angus remained behind to fight the Wizards' servants.

Those servants reengaged and slew a paladin. I returned to the summit by Gil, badly injured. Gil continued to shoot arrows as the fighters. Angus remained in melee, assisting the paladins.

As the melee below continued, I dumped Fergus. For some reason, Bronxy growled at me. Ungrateful creature. Gil's archery skills again failed, as did Angus's melee skills.

An enemy struck Angus, but missed the paladins. I searched for the chest, to no avail. Gil's archery improved, killing one fighter and wounding another. Angus's melee skills still failed, but the remaining paladin struck the remaining fighter.

In return, said fighter slew the last paladin. I just missed using my sling. Gil missed with both arrows. Angus missed with his sword. Apparently, our former fortune had turned against us.

The fighter smote Angus mightily. Our ranged weapons attacks still failed. Angus chose discretion as the better part of valor and disengaged.

The remaining fighter gave chase. My sling bulled missed, but Gil's arrow did not! We held the field alone.

A quick search, and Gil discovered the chest. Angus performed first aid on the rest of us. Because of religious differences, we left the Tyrians.
    Afterward, we fled the battlefield, travelling for a full day. Then we went to ground and rested for a day. We continued this pattern for three more days. On the fifth day, Fergus and Sean regained their senses.

Show
    And at that point, we took a mid-season break. Sessions 8 & 9 were from May 2021, so I'm a little behind. But the campaign did continue! I have rough summaries, and I'll get those written up and released at some point in another thread.

7. - Top - End - #37

EvilClericGuy

Thank you to our mods for letting me resurrect this thread one last time. The campaign to date had been a lot of fun. I know a few people were interested in how things turned out, and I didn't want to leave anyone hanging.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Orc in the Playground

Thank you!
    Awesome Rutger Hauer Jugger Avatar by Thormag
    OSRIC Wiki & Site
    I play at The Unseen Servant PbP Forums

9. - Top - End - #39

EvilClericGuy

Volume 2 has hit the broadsheets!
    https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...-Took-Volume-2
    Last edited by thorr-kan; 2023-06-05 at 11:03 AM.