New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Griffon

Default Question about weight of items!

I was looking at the Everful items, specifically rations, feedbag and field provision box.

I was wondering why everful rations weighs 2 lbs when both everful feedbag, and field provision box both weigh 1 lbs... that just seems super weird to me. What am I missing?

It would make the FPB no bigger than a few inches per side, which also just make no sense... also, unless the feedbag is made from thin cloth, it cant be that light... what gives?

Cheers

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Question about weight of items!

Suspend your disbelief.

This is the same game that lets you get more than 1lb of flour from 1 lb of wheat. That isn't possible via the laws of physics.

Also, the weights of almost every weapon in the game are WAY to high. The PHB has a great sword listed as 8lb and the great axe as 12 lb. In real life a hand and half sword ( great sword, 2h combat sword) is only ~3.5 lb. A real waraxe is ~4.5 lb with an upper cap of 6lb. Based on these weights, everyone in the D&D verse is a super muscled like a top class body builder.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

There was no thought given with the numbers. It's not at all important.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I think with low weight items, they just picked a random small number on the basis that it doesn't really matter unless you've got a Str of 3 or something.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

I suspect that the figure for Everlasting Rations assumes the bag is full, and the figures for the other two assume they're empty. It sort of makes sense, since Everlasting Rations fills itself automatically whether you want it to or not, and the others only fill up when you actually use them. Still, Field Provisions Box should probably weigh more.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Wow, Everlasting Rations and Field Provisions Box sure make the old Sustaining Spoon seem overpriced!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

It's magic. Who's to decide how much such things should weigh? Who decided how much a bag of holding, which can hold hundreds of pounds of loot, weighs? Why does it weigh more than a handy haversack, which basically does the same thing?

Answer: A wizard did it. No really, it was wizards, man.

In all seriousness, this is what happens when you create standardized magic items based on what really should be uniquely created effects.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.