New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Default [IC] Reavers of Zan [Sharp Swords & Sinister Spells]

This is the IC thread for Reavers of Zan, a play by post campaign for Sharp Swords and Sinister Spells.

Players:

OOC Thread.
    Recruitment Thread.

2. - Top - End - #2

Beholder

Default Re: [IC] Reavers of Zan [Sharp Swords & Sinister Spells]

Adventure 1: Citadel of the Dutiful Keeper

Formerly a vast empire, Zan was now an endless expanse of wastes and dunes dotted by the remnants of greatness. Crossing any section of this expanse was never wise without provisions, water, and great numbers. This was seldom done save by the intrepid merchants and their trains that ventured between scattered communities still clinging to depleted river ways or oases. Danger was never far away...

And so, when one of Zan's vengeful dust storms blew in pitting exposed flesh by tens of thousands of blasting granules, the initial charge of a surprise attack did great hurt to Zappo's caravan. The tribal raiders were mounted and knew the routes of caravans through the trackless sands by heart. Able to blindly navigate, their lesser numbers were rarely a disadvantage when the torrents of blowing dust would swallow them up like a ghostly apparition. However, this was no small band. They were numberless hordes, or so they seemed.

After the devastation of the initial sortie, the chaos grasped guardsman, merchant and teamster alike. Horses bolted, carts were overturned, and three found themselves separated from the host. They floundered aimlessly on the sea of dunes, flinching at the sudden insinuation of a spectral raider that was not there. The sounds of men and horses receded or were lost in the howling winds and hiss of dust, when suddenly, a shape rose up out of the sands before them.

They made out the squared corners of a facade of masonry. Remnants of a tower protruded up, but as they drew cautiously closer, a half-sunken ruin became material before their eyes. The structure itself was tilted, as though swallowed by the sands, unless it was an illusion of the pitch and climb of each mountainous dune. A vacant doorway in which doors no longer stood guard yawned black before them. Was it occupied? Either way, it was potential safety and cover. At any moment, a wave of riders might appear and strike them down, against which they had no defense.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Shiv

"Hope no one is home." Shiv mumbled through his face covering, eyes squinting against the stinging wind. "It's here or keep walking to nowhere!" He said, raising his voice to be heard above the dust storm. Without waiting for agreement Shiv stumbles into the doorway, shivering in the sudden cool of the darkness.
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"- Roger Zelazny, This Immortal
    Avatar Image: The Great Wave off Kanagawa by Hokusai; bitmap version by me.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Rhil

Not hearing what Shiv said, Rhil speaks up. "I think we should head inside." Seeing Shiv move forward, he follows into the darken doorway and takes just one step to the side and focuses on adjusting to the light inside.

5. - Top - End - #5

Beholder

No sooner had the three stepped over the threshold when five mounted raiders wielding spears materialized out of the hissing brown smudge of blowing sands. These stopped abruptly, pointing at the structure with apparent perturbation into which the three had stepped. They wheeled their mounts about and suddenly broke in different directions, perhaps looking for an alternate means to ambush their enemies and were gone.

The darkness veiled the further depths of the space into which the three now plumbed. The door had long since rotted away or had been otherwise removed. There were other ruined pieces of stone and detritus piled near to it that could be put up to make a hasty barrier if need be. They found themselves in some sort of entry hall perhaps twenty paces across. The ceiling was twelve feet above their heads. An arched doorway in the north and south walls led to other areas. The passage continued further into the structure than the meager natural light through the open doorway revealed. Sand covered most of the floor, though here and there stone blocks bared their surfaces and regular joints. The hiss of sand continued ceaseless outside, but their newfound refuge protected them from the worst. After a few investigatory steps, their senses revealed that in fact there was a tilt to the foundation of the ancient structure. A noticeable grade led down toward the easternmost portions lost in blackness. What lay further within or to the sides was unknown. They heard no other sound than the blowing elements.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    A running map below... I'll keep updating the map as you move around. The link will remain the same, but you may need to refresh your browsers for it to appear correctly.

If I get a majority opting for a common action, I may push forward at times.

6. - Top - End - #6

Shiv

"What are the odds they were more scared of us than whatever is in this place?" Shiv asks after the horsemen ride off. He slumps to the ground and brings his pack in front of him, digging through it. "Okay, I've got a few torches here." He says and brings one out.

He stands up and slings the pack onto his back again. "Right. Can't go stumbling around in the dark. Let's see where we are." He says and lights the torch.
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"- Roger Zelazny, This Immortal

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Leonard Luck 1d8 Supply 1d4

Leonard looks around the few visible parts of the room, worried about something hiding in the shadows.

“If there is something in here they’re scared of, we should probably find it before they find us. I’m quiet, I can check the doorways.

With the torch lit, Leo tries to move slowly and quietly to the north doorway and look inside. If there isn’t any immediate threat behind, he checks the south and any other doorways as well.
    I go by They/Them pronouns, BTW.

8. - Top - End - #8

Beholder

With Shiv's light illuminating the immediate surroundings, ornamented and once frescoed walls and ceilings were revealed, all having since worn away. Large sections of plaster had also fallen loose exposing the bare brickwork underneath in large sections. The place was in a sad state of neglect.

The torchlight was not quite enough to illuminate more than the entries into the northern and southern sections. In both areas, roughly square chambers each, considerable debris and refuse was strewn about and some half buried in small drifts of sand. In the northern chamber, that debris had been piled at the center by someone or something during the unknown past. Another open doorway stood in the eastern wall of the chamber to the north. Although Leonard could not see within, it seemed some daylight streamed in from a breach or alternate exit.

Show
    I didn't discuss before, but what do you all prefer? Do you want me to make rolls? I prefer if players do it. And, if you think a roll might be called for, feel free to throw one out just in case.

Old school searching and perception rolls: I'll take the stance that a lot of old games do, that player skill is important. If when searching for traps, for example, a character states explicitly a section of floor they are looking at, and a method of tapping with a pole on possible pressure plates, that stated action supersedes and dice results. If there is something to be revealed from specific action, I'll react accordingly. If nothing is stated, that's where attribute saves and luck rolls may come in.

In our current example, Leonard is just peeking in to get a general sense. If there was an obvious threat, I would certainly note it. Quagmire mentioned behind sneaky, and if they wanted to do that, a roll would be required. At this point, there is no obvious danger (unless it's well hidden), so I don't need a roll for the moment. If I did want to see a roll and the player did not supply one, I'd probably make a roll on their behalf rather than spend any extra exchanges on back and forth.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Rhil - HP 10/10 - Luck d6

"Which way do we go? I feel we can move around that pile of stuff since something had to put it there."

10. - Top - End - #10

Shiv

"Maybe they left something behind." Shiv says as he moves closer to the pile. "Maybe something we could use in case those horsemen come back."

11. - Top - End - #11

Beholder

With Shiv leading the way, the northern chamber was roughly thirty paces square with no windows. The licensed cultist confirmed the existence of another open doorway on the east wall of the chamber, through which a sliver of daylight pierced. Inspecting the pile closer, a sudden explosion of movement took the torch-wielding conjurer completely by unawares.

A huge red and black chitinous horror burst out from under refuse. Massive pinchers snapped, grasping at anything the moved in its lair. A long stinger tail glistened with poison as the pony-sized monster rushed with astonishing speed. Now revealed was a large burrow in the midst of the pile. A second monster began to emerge behind the first. A giant pincher grabbed onto Shiv's ankle, nearly dropping him to the ground. It began pulling him in towards its lair. The second monster was fully out and hissed at the other two intruders.

Show
    Surprise attack by these critters (the rules do not specify what happens in surprise...I will say this means automatically gaining initiative). The first round allows only the first to attack. They are 2 HD creatures with two attacks...a pincher attack and a stinger. The stinger carries a poison that can be resisted by Physique after a successful stinger strike for an additional 1d4 damage. The first attack is a maneuver to try and grab Shiv and hold him for a future attack with advantage.

The first attack: Pincher Grab: 1d20+1 16. He's effectively grabbed (no damage). Shiv must win a physique test to break free. All tests against these critters suffers a penalty of +/-1 due to their higher HD. We'll call this one scorpion 1. The two have the following hit points: Hit Dice: 2#2d8 9 7.

That's it for their actions this turn. Everyone can take your actions. Remember the +/-1 penalty. Add/subtract modifiers to the roll rather than modify your attributes.

Edit: assume a range of close between Shiv and giant critter 1. All others are assumed to be at near.

Map (refresh browser page if the old map shows up).

Last edited by roryb; 2021-02-25 at 02:43 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12

Shiv

"Ahhhhhh!" Shiv screamed as he was snapped up by the huge pincers. "Get it off, get it off!" he shouted and shoved the burning torch into the creature's face.

Spoiler
    Show
    He'll attack it with the torch instead of trying to break free, on the theory that pretty much everything hates having a torch shoved into their face. Maybe it will give up and let him go!

Torch Attack! (Physique 9 or Agility 8 as you see fit) [roll]1d20+1[roll]

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Leonard Luck 1d8 Supply 1d4

Leonard scrambles backwards to the doorway and gets behind it. ”Giant animals! I thought these things were a myth!”

He unslings his heavy crossbow from his back and gets on one knee, trying to put a crossbow bolt into the monster holding Shiv.

Spoiler
    Show
    not sure if I’d be able to move back and get a heavy ranged weapon set up in the same turn, but if so here is an attack.

(1d20+1)[18] wanting to get less than 10
    A hit deals (1d10)[8] damage.

Last edited by Quagmire; 2021-02-25 at 12:30 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

A quick flourish and two swords appeared in Rhil's hands. "Keep it busy with that torch and be ready to move!", he shouts to Shiv. He leaps to the left past Shiv towards the creature, swinging one sword down to cut the grasping pincer off and keeping the other one up, warding off potential attacks of the stinger or second creature.

15. - Top - End - #15

Beholder

redface Re: [IC] Reavers of Zan [Sharp Swords & Sinister Spells]

Shiv’s torch hit the thing right between its many eyes. Sparks from the flame erupted as the cultist’s true aim smashed against its hardened carapace. Leonard’s bolt went wide from his slow-loading personal arbalest.

In a flash, Rhil was at his companion’s side and drove a sword point between the monster’s lobstered joints, drawing ichor. An inhuman high-pitched squeal nearly defeated the intruders. The thing released its grip on Shiv, sending him back on his rump — but for the moment free. The thing scuttled back toward its burrow. It’s great claws covered its now blackened head just above its mandibles.

At the same moment, the second insectoid moved forward with astonishing speed, snapping at the swordsman with its pinchers and barbed tail. The mercenary maneuvered and parried, finding the armored tail not unlike a sword-wielding opponent.

Show
    Okay, Shiv’s Torch hit: 1d4 3. We’ll treat the damage as a penalty to the thing’s morale roll. This is d20 - 2 (HD) + 3 penalty. 10+ equals failure.

Morale check: 1d20+1 13. That’s a failure.

That’s a miss for Leonard. @Quagmire, note the 1d8 damage for heavy weapons for the future.

Rhil closes one category and makes an attack against critter #1. As per my OOC post, it sounds like he’s reserving a one die penalty for any incoming attack. I’ll say that can be declared after the dice hit the table. Attack with advantage on critter #1: 2#1d20+1 8 20. Looks like a hit! Sword damage: 1d8 2.

Critter #1 has 4/9 hit points and is fleeing into its burrow.

Critter #2 attacks Rhil Xillos with two attacks. Claw / Stinger attack / damage / damage / disadvantage: 2#1d20+1 6 10 2#1d6 1 6 1d20+1 21. Both miss.

State your actions.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

With one scorpion driven back and the other being kept busy, Leonard gets an idea. He drops his crossbow and runs around to the side of the creature. He tries to roll between its legs, and end up on his back under the large creature. Hopefully its tail can’t reach under itself, and he can get his hidden dagger into its underbelly.

Spoiler
    Show
    Not sure if I can move to under it, pull out my dagger, and attack in the same turn, but I’ll try. If not hopefully I’ll be in a good position for next turn.

17. - Top - End - #17

Shiv

"That's my lucky torch now!" Shiv says as he scoots back away from the giant bugs. "Too close together to blast them..." Shiv says, getting back to his feet. "...close enough to drain them though." He takes a step towards Rhil and the giant bug the swordsman was engaged with. He raises his arms and they begin undulating, mimicking the arms of an octopus. Sweat appears on his brow as he concentrates and suddenly translucent tentacles lash out from Shiv, attempting to latch onto both Rhil and the bug.

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Transfer Life, attempting to move One Hit Dice from the bug to Rhil.

The difficulty (power level) of the spell is 1.

Willpower 13 (1d20+1)[11]

If the spell is cast, the bug can resist the spell by rolling higher than my Willpower 13.

18. - Top - End - #18

Beholder

The strange spectral tentacles surged reddish in that brief moment before the injured scorpion scuttled away. The creature convulsed and curled into a ball. The second one began advancing. Flinging away his crossbow, Leonard drew his dagger. Flanking the thing was no easy task. The octoped was swift, able to rotate to new threats quickly. Nonetheless, Leonard was quicker, finding an opportunity to roll between the many articulated joints. The fleshy underside of the monster showed ripe for puncturing.

Show
    As per our OOC conversation, I can assume the rolls going forward.

Shiv's spell kills critter #1 and gives Rhil 4 bonus hp and effectiveness like a 2nd-level Warrior, as per here. On second thought, I think a consistency is to tie duration to PL too. So, effectiveness would be 1 turn (10 rounds).

Next is Leonard's maneuver to get into position. This is an Agility test with a +1 penalty due to Powerful Enemies. Agility test at +1 penalty (10): 1d20+1 4. Done! The system suggests the higher the number, while still within the range of your attributes, is better. So this was a bit of a struggle, but by no means barely made.

I'll await Rhil's action before the new round. Critter #2 has 7/7 hp.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

As the second creature begins to engage him, Rhil suddenly feels more powerful, more confident. A wicked smile crosses his lips. "Let's end this now, you sand eater." Quickly moving his arms, he creates a whirl of blades, trying to confuse the creature. He waits for the creature to use its stinger so he can deflect it, dance to the side, and go for the kill.

20. - Top - End - #20

Beholder

As Rhil moved past, Shiv was able to move to relatively safety behind his doubly armed companion. The creature danced and spun trying to outmaneuver Rhil and the plucky foe underneath it. The thing used its stiletto-barbed feet to bludgeon Leonard who wriggled to remain on target and out of harm's way. It was more difficult than he at first imagined when a bone-hard foot almost smashed his head. A deadly stinger tail lashed out at Rhil, who expertly batted aside the living weapon.

Rhil followed through, driving his blade length into the monster's mouth. It convulsed and pulled back, but Leonard wasn't finished with it. Striking upward with his dagger, he impaled the thing. Ichor spilled out onto the poor accountant along with the bulk of the giant dead arachnid.

Nothing else moved from the dark burrow within the rubble. Other than a befouled and half crushed rogue, the three were none the worse for wear.

Show
    Scorpion vs. Leonard: pincher attack vs. Leonard (10); damage: 1d20+1 15 1d6 1. Luckily, light armor absorbs all of that hit!

Scorpion stinger vs. Rhil: Attack vs. Rhil at disadvantage (14); Damage: 2#1d20 1 5 1d4 4. Whiff of all whiffs.

Rhil vs. Critter #2: Attack vs. Scorpion with advantage (10); Damage: 2#1d20 19 9 1d8 4. Critter #2 is down to 3/7 hp.

Leonard vs. Critter #2: Attack vs. Scorpion with advantage (12); Damage: 2#1d20+1 11 10 1d4 4. That finishes off Critter #2.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Leonard HP 8/8 Luck 1d8 Supply 1d4

Leonard pushes the dead beast off of him and gets to his face. Wiping the scorpion goo off of his face with a handkerchief , he looks rather disgusted. "That was... unpleasant. But at least we're alive and we know why the riders are afraid of this place."

Leonard kicks the dead scorpion to make sure it was dead, and if it was he kneels by the tail. "Well if I'm already covered in this things blood no harm done if I get a bit more on me. The stingers of scorpions have poison and, although I've never dealt with scorpions before, I have seen see how poison is extracted. Keep watch on the second one, just because it fled now doesn't mean it might not come back out."
    Last edited by Quagmire; 2021-02-27 at 07:50 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Rhil - HP 14/10 - Luck d6

Pulling out his sword, he takes a few steps back from the carcass. Quick snaps of the wrists flicks off any remaining ichor from the blades. "Well, if we can work together like that, we will be good."

As Leonard begins his dismemberment, Rhil reassures him. "That thing doesn't pose a threat to anyone and I don't think it'll have anything useful you can harvest."

As they regroup, Rhil takes a look into the eastern doorway for any other threats.

23. - Top - End - #23

Shiv

Not wanting to be left out, Shiv walks over and kicks the dead bug once for good measure. "My thanks to you bravos." He looks at the huge rip in his shirt from the pincer and sighs. "I'll worry about patching that up later I suppose. I don't know much about poisons there, but if we get hungry we could probably cook and eat them." He says.

"Now, for the reason I came in this room. See anything useful in that pile?" He says, holding the torch closer to the pile and looking over it.

24. - Top - End - #24

Beholder

Shiv investigated the pile. Judging by the drag marks, the creatures gathered up what remained of furnishings -- a ruined bench of moldering wood, iron works of unknown purpose, several unearths flagstones, and other detritus -- to help conceal their burrow. There was perhaps enough material here to barricade the entry if needed.

At the eastern doorway, Rhil peered into the adjacent room. Although he had no torchlight at his back, the failing daylight came down what appeared to be a partially ruined winding stairwell. Presumably this led up to the ruined tower they saw outside. Blowing grit swirled within the room's circumference. The elements had piled sand here and there in drifts. In another corner, some of the brickwork had given way to create a small narrow window. He could tell litter more without investigating.

Show
    I don't have my map with me, so I'll give you the rough description.

Edit: I have the map updated.

Last edited by roryb; 2021-02-28 at 01:28 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Rhil - HP 14/10 - Luck d6

He peers for a few moments, making sure there are no movements. He steps back. "Looks like a staircase that goes up, possibly. Want to check the other areas here to see if there's anything useful?"

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Leonard gets up to follow Shiv and Rhil. He pays particularly close attention to the steps of the staircase, looking to see if any are uneven or otherwise unusual.

When the topic of where to go next comes up, “I say we try to map the rest of this level first, don’t want any surprises coming from behind us.

27. - Top - End - #27

Shiv

"Bunch of garbage. Not sure what I expected, really." Shiv says to himself after picking through the refuse. "Staying on the ground's not a bad idea. I'd like to find another exit in case those riders come back and decide they're brave enough to enter."

28. - Top - End - #28

Beholder

The three moved across the entry hall into the space to the south. This was a rectangular room much of the same description as the others roughly thirty paces by twenty. Another open doorway lay in the southern portion of the eastern wall of this space. They had peered into the this room upon their initial survey of the surrounding rooms. Little else was revealed beyond their first probe. A few items were half-buried in the sand. There was other refuse laying about, but not so much as the far room to the north where the scorpion monsters burrowed and likely dragged off the largest pieces of junk and filth.

Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Something about the pile caught Leonards eye as well. He started to pull out some half-buried items, in case any were useful or valuable. He only did so with one hand though, keeping his dagger in the other hand in case there were any creatures for his search to disturb.

30. - Top - End - #30

Beholder

Sifting through the rubbish, it is not long before Leonard unearthed a scrap that caught his eye. At first appearing black and formless. However, it was a weighty bronze belt buckle in an ancient style that might fetch a good price by a collector. He found nothing else of value.

Show
    Counts as 1 thing and worth 1 treasure point (as per the abstract treasure rules in the Addendum).

Other actions?