New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Default Re: [IC] Reavers of Zan [Sharp Swords & Sinister Spells]

Shiv staggered back. Rhil took advantage of the positioning, interposing himself at the mouth of the corridor. The shambling forms came in with weapons at the ready. Rhil attacked as the first one came into range, reducing the skeletal antagonist to ruin. A second stepped over his fallen companion at two attacked with abandon. The dual blade-wielding champion deflected their ill-timed blows. Leonard currently stood at the rear of the group.

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Two undead are considered Close, the remainder at Near.

Rolling for initiative for the round (Agility roll in case of same level/HD opponents):
    Agility rolls for initiative (Rhil (14), Shiv (8 at penalty), Leonard (10), respectively): 1d20 14 2d20l1 7 1d20 1

I wrote the wrong code for Shiv, since penalty means keeping the higher die, so that's a failure. However, Shiv's spell was cast and enacted in the first round.

Order: Rhil, Leonard, Undead, Shiv

Next, Rhil performs an Advanced Maneuver (as per his ability) to interpose himself to defend Shiv. Advanced Maneuver (14): 1d20 4. I'll dispense with having them resist since it doesn't directly effect them but rather Shiv.

I'm interpreting "Attack Posture" as meaning Rhil is using both weapons offensively. His attack goes before theirs. Attack at Advantage (10); Damage (d8) vs. HD (d8): 2d20l1 8 2#1d8 7 3. #1 is defeated.

#3 takes #1's place and two attack as a mob (2HD). Undead Attack (>14) at +1; 1d6: 1d20+1 4 1d6 5. That's a miss.

Leonard can still act, but of course, the other two are currently in the way. Any ranged attack will face a penalty die.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Orc in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Leonard HP 8/8 Luck 1d8 Supply 1d4

Feeling a bit guilty about getting the party into this situation by triggering the teleportation trap, Leonard draws his crossbow and tries to help. He tries to line up a shot against the skeleton, but with his party members in the way it is difficult. He seems nervous fighting the living dead, even though he is standing behind the other two.

Spoiler: dice
    Show
    agility 10, [roll]1d20[/roll] roll, [roll]1d6[/roll] negative die, [roll]1d8[/roll] damage
    think I did the dice code wrong here, can you do the rolls?
    Last edited by Quagmire; 2021-04-15 at 07:45 PM.
    I go by They/Them pronouns, BTW.

3. - Top - End - #63

Beholder

Leonard’s shaking shot went wide, striking the corridor wall, and then clattered off into the darkness beyond, narrowly missing Shiv.

Show
    Attack with penalty (10); damage (d8j vs HD (d8): 2d20k1 17 1d8 2 1d8 5

On a natural 20, this will hit an ally or some other calamity. I’d say a heavy crossbow takes an action to reload.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Pixie in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Rhil - HP 10/10 - Luck d6

"I hate undead," Rhil moans. "They just ignore it when you do flashy moves that makes other hesitate. Right, remember Rhil," as his voice trails off into a mutter, "less flash, more slash. less flash, more slash...."

Rhil starts whirling both blades in his attacks against the foes, trying to allow those behind him a chance to attack but preventing the undead from passing him

5. - Top - End - #65

Beholder

Rhil swings, reducing another to shards. The shambling skeletal shapes continue to surge forward, faster than the swordsman can ward off. One takes the place of the fallen, and despite his efforts, another manages to force its way through the whirling blades to threaten Shiv. A rusted dagger finds its way through the Sea Lord cultist's embattled defenses.

Show
    Rhil takes out #2 Attack at Advantage (10); Damage (d8) vs. HD (d8): 2d20l1 2 2#1d8 8 3
    ...and attempts to hold the line (advanced maneuver) Hold the Line (Physique): 1d20 11, but barely fails.

#3 and #4 are close to Rhil, and #5 has squeezed past to be close with Shiv.

Leonard reloads a bolt

The undead attack Rhil. Undead Attack Rhil (>14) at +1; 1d6: 1d20+1 10 1d6 6. Miss

#5 attacks Shiv. Undead Attack Shiv (>8): 1d20 17 1d4 1. Hits for 1 damage.

Go for it, Shiv! By the way, Chambers, make sure to put Shiv's vitals in your posts.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Shiv - HP 5/6, Luck d6, Physique 7/9

Ears bleeding from the spell failure, all Shiv can hear is a loud droning sound as he watches the skeleton guards advance. He cheers as some fall to his companions blades but cries out when one slips past and stabs him in his side. With the sound of the deep still ringing in his ears he can't hear his own words as he shouts the incantation to steal the unlife of the skeleton that attacked him.

Spoiler
    Show
    He's casting Transfer Life at Difficulty 1, attempting to move one HD from the skeleton to himself.

Willpower 13
    Rolling twice for the penalty die
    (1d20+1)[5]
    (1d20+1)[18]

"We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"- Roger Zelazny, This Immortal
    Avatar Image: The Great Wave off Kanagawa by Hokusai; bitmap version by me.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Pixie in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Rhil - HP 10/10 - Luck d6

Spitting our a curse, Rhil has a quick thought. He shifts to one side then brings both swords in parallel in an arc across his opponents. Quickly pivoting on one foot, he spins around to bring the blades across the skeletons again, hoping he is lucky enough to destroy both of them.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Orc in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

With another bolt loaded in his crossbow, Leonard lines up a second shot against the skeletons. Taking a deep breath, and feeling calmer since the front line seems to be holding strong, he lets loose another projectile towards the skeletons.

9. - Top - End - #69

Beholder

Rhil’s offensive was effective, dropping the one to his left flank and sending shards of broken armor and bone showering from the other. The last shape replaced the fallen. Rhil had opened himself with his overextended maneuver, and the enemy pressed him hard with blows powered by the forces of the unliving.

Behind, Leonard lined up a second shot with his large crossbow, this time at the nearest that harassed Shiv. The shot nearly went into Rhil’s flank and skittered off into the darkness.

Shiv was incoherent with the rotes of incantation, but a bony fist knocked the wind out of him yet again, cutting short the devastating sorcery.

Show
    Actions:

First is Rhil. Attack with Advantage at +1 (attacking 2); 1d8 damage at advantage; HD of two: 2d20l1+1 4 2d8k1 8 2#1d8 6 4

That takes out #3 and reduces #4 to 2 hit points. Bravo! Almost got what you wanted. (I treated them as a 2 HD mob so the damage could spill over.)

Next is Leonard. Attack (>10); damage; HD: 1d20 18 1d8 5 1d8 8. That’s a miss against the closest, #5.

Next, the skeletons. #4 and #6 attack Rhil. Attack (>10]; damage: 1d20+1 13 1d4 2. I reduced their combined D6 to d4 due to medium armor. That scores a small hit.

#5 on Shiv. Attack (>8]; damage: 1d20 19 1d4 2. Another hit, this time for for 2.

Next, Shiv’s spell. For a complication, the only that comes to mind is to extend the penalty die for another turn.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Pixie in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Rhil - 8/10 HP - D6 luck

Seeing the success of the attack, Rhil begins the same steps again. As the bolt streaks past him, he yells back. "Try hitting it with the crossbow instead of shooting! I might survive then!"

11. - Top - End - #71
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Shiv - HP 3/6, Luck d6, Physique 7/9

Gasping for breath like he just surfaced from underwater, Shiv shakes from a cold only he feels. His teeth chatter in his skull and he barely even feels the knock of the bony fist. "N-n-n-notttt not not work work work workinggg...." He manages to stutter before slamming the torch into the face of the nearest skeleton.

Spoiler
    Show
    Melee attack with a Penalty die, Physique is 7.

(1d20)[9]
    (1d20)[16]
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"- Roger Zelazny, This Immortal
    Avatar Image: The Great Wave off Kanagawa by Hokusai; bitmap version by me.

12. - Top - End - #72

Beholder

Rhil worked his blades finding his rhythm. He grew more effective after whittling down the mindless toughs. Two more lost their animating power, crumbling to bits.

Shiv was having a terrible time toe to toe, but managed to keep just out of the last remaining enemy’s deadline swing. From behind came the click of Leonard’s crank as he readied another bolt.

Show
    To recap, #4 on Rhil has hp remaining. #6 is also facing him, and #5 vs. Shiv. Not hearing from Quagmire, I’ll assume Leonard is again reloading his bow. Order as usual: Rhil, skeletons, Shiv (factoring his above attack).

Rhil. Attack at advantage at +1 (vs. 2HD); damage (at advantage); hit points of #6: 2d20l1+1 6 2d8k1 8 1d8 4 takes out #4 and #6 both.

Skeleton. 1d20 (success >8]; damage: 1d20 7 1d4 1. Luckily a miss by a hair.

One left!

13. - Top - End - #73
    Orc in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Leonard considers Rhil's advice to run into the fray, mentally tallying up the odds of him dying if he tries it. "I'm good back here, you're doing fine."

With only one skeleton left, he takes aim at it and fires.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Pixie in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Rhil - 8/10 HP - D6 luck

As the dust of his foes settles, Rhil beams for a moment. "There's a story for me to tell. It will take more than five ske....." He pauses and quickly counts the defeated in front of him. As Leonard speaks, Rhil raises his head up. "Right, it will take more than SIX skeletons to defeat me!"

Turning around, he notes Leonard training another shot at the undead. He quickly calculates then moves to one side away from the area of fire then leaps forward with blades slashing, timing the attack to happen after the bolt is loosed.

15. - Top - End - #75

Beholder

Rhil ducked aside as Leonard's shot released. This time, the bolt struck true, lodging itself in the old mail of the last shambling figure. The animating magic possessing this skeletal warrior was stronger than the rest. It raised up its axe, but Rhil was faster. Going through his practiced maneuvers, his twin blades reduced the figure to a pile of old bones.

The three were still alive. What remained in the chamber beyond was cast in darkness until they could explore further.

Show

Attack at advantage (10); Damage (d8) vs. HD (d8): 2d20l1 8 2#1d8 4 7

Forgot to roll damage with advantage: One more 1d8: Advantage damage die: 1d8 7. Thanks to that, the skeletal freak is dead for good.

And, I did this out of order. Doh! Leonard's shot first:

Attack (>10): 1d20 9. That's a hit this time! Damage (1d8): 1d8 3. Not enough to destroy it, but Rhil finishes it off.

If you want to take a few moments, you can recover with a physique roll and a "first rest" for 1d4. I'm inclined to waive the Physique roll for the first rest and give up to 4 hp back. Afterwards, the roll will be required.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Pixie in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Rhil - 8/10 HP - D6 luck

Standing over the remains, Rhil begins to get his breath back. As he does, he senses the pain in his chest and glances down at it. Trying to decide how bad it is, he sees Shiv in the periphery. He takes a good look at his companion.

"You look like you could take a few moments to get yourself together. Leonard, how about reload and guard the doorway while Shiv takes a few, wouldn't ya?" Rhil settles down to take a breather and see if Shiv needs anything.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Orc in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Leonard takes a few relieved breaths at the fight being over, before reloading his crossbow and standing by the door like Rhil asked. “Rest is good, but not for too long. Might be more of those things out there.”

Leaning against the wall and looking into the dark hall in front of him, Leonard keeps an eye out for anything that would disturb the other two as they rested.