New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Orc in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Default Re: [IC] Reavers of Zan [Sharp Swords & Sinister Spells]

Leonard HP 8/8 Luck 1d8 Supply 1d4

Leonard turns the belt buckle over in his hands a few times as he appraised its value, before holding it up to the other two and smiling. “Found something shiny here, this ruin might have more if we keep exploring. Where to next!
    I go by They/Them pronouns, BTW.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Pixie in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Rhil - HP 14/10 - Luck d6

"Nice, could fetch a coin or two to the right person. Let's see what is through that doorway." Rhil nods to the opening in the east.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

The slant of the room was more discernible here. With another exit in the far side of the northern wall (presumably linking with the original entry hall), this chamber was almost entirely filled in by sand. Sections of wall appeared to have collapsed at some point and the very building threatened to be swallowed by the sands. The sands were deepest in the far eastern side where something stuck out above the silt. It was too far away and too dark to tell for certain, but it almost appeared as though the top portions of a head were sticking through.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Remember the outside description was a half sunken square keep with a tower.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Shiv

"I'm not poking around in that corner. Had enough giant beetles for one day." Shiv says, adjusting his hood to try and keep out the dust in the air. "Look, let's check out the tower. Maybe we can hide out in there, at least until this storm passes."
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"- Roger Zelazny, This Immortal
    Avatar Image: The Great Wave off Kanagawa by Hokusai; bitmap version by me.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Pixie in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Smiling at his bug shy friend, he nods his head. "I'll protect you, don't worry. Let's find a rock or stone and toss it over at the thing over there and see if it reacts. You get behind me and toss it." He gets both swords ready to defend against a sudden rush.

6. - Top - End - #36

Beholder

A stone was lobbed to the thick sand, upon which it plopped and then proceeded to roll down the sandy hill. When it hit the bottom, the stone clinked against something metallic like the musical jingle of coins. Nothing else moved.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Pixie in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

"What's that?"
    Rhil looks at the stopped stone. "Alright, watch the sand." He moves into the room and uses a sword to prod the area around the stone to discover the source of the sound.

8. - Top - End - #38

Beholder

Getting closer, Rhil saw a few half-buried coins. They were bronze or other tarnished metal -- aged too much to determine their worth by sight alone. Nonetheless, it appeared to be spilled wealth. Closer to the mound, he now made out the head of a buried statue against what might have been the far wall. It was in likeness to a figure wearing a stylized headdress of some sort. Lapis lazuli pieces and other semiprecious stones were placed elaborately in the stone figure. It may have been buried there for ages. Only the top part showed. He detected no sound or movement, nor visible holes where crawling things may burrow.

Show

9. - Top - End - #39
    Orc in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Leonard looked at the mound, and the statue head. I’ll get the head if I can, if it’s too heavy I could pry the stones out.

Stepping softly, Leonard creeps up to the mound of sand. He tries to lift the statue head. If it isn’t too heavy, he tries to bring it back to the rest of the group.

10. - Top - End - #40

Beholder

Leonard found the head was likely attached to an entire standing statue. But noticing up close, there were more embedded stones of even greater value and gold-chasing around many of the details. He noticed perhaps six feet from that the hint of a second buried statue. Each statue was most likely quite weighty, and also inaccessible until properly excavated. Whether the stones were salvageable apart from the statue itself remained to be seen.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Pixie in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Keeping an eye towards the doorway to the north, Rhil reaches down and clears the sand from the coins and collects them. "Leonard, spend a few moments prying those jewels off. If we have time, we can come back for any others."

12. - Top - End - #42

Beholder

To his amazement, Rhil found gold coins. He pocketed at least eight of them stylized with an ancient stamp. There were likely more buried. The more he uncovered from the edge, the more coins he recovered.

Show
    1 point of treasure. Whoever tries to pry gems from the statue must make the post.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Orc in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Leonard gets his dagger back out, and brushes some giant centipede off the blade. "It would be worth more if we could get the whole statues out, instead of just some semi-precious rocks. If only we had a team to carry them out."

Somewhat disappointed about how much prying the gems off reduced the value of the statue, Leonard starts prying the stones free from the statue. He tries to get any that are already exposed, but doesn't try to excavate any more.

14. - Top - End - #44

Beholder

The stones were very stubborn. Try as he might, the statue wasn't yielding them willingly. Up close, Leonard could see their luster. They shined with a light almost all of their own.

Show
    Prying Stones with Difficulty of 5 (Physique): 1d20+5 25. That's a no go. Care to Push the Roll or downgrade Luck (SS&SS p. 8)?

15. - Top - End - #45

Shiv

"Hey, those look pretty nice. Be a shame if we didn't live to spend them." Shiv says, stepping forward to hold the torch a little closer. He looks down at the statue, still buried in sand. "I....uh....am not sure about digging the rest of that up though. Maybe some other time?"
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"- Roger Zelazny, This Immortal

16. - Top - End - #46
    Pixie in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

"Right, dead men can't spend any coin. Still, I don't think those raiders are going to willingly come in here. So, unless there is something else here that wants to say otherwise, we have a little time. Let's see if there are any more coins right here then move on. How about you dig for a few while I take a look at this doorway?" If Shiv begins to dig, Rhil will take the torch and move to the doorway to see what is beyond. Otherwise, he will just dig a bit more himself.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Orc in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

"I can dig, but I can't get these stones out. Someday though, we should return here with a team to excavate these and bring them back to sell."

Leonard keeps brushing the sand away in search of more coins. However he works carefully and slowly, not wanting to damage the statues.

18. - Top - End - #48

Beholder

Leonard recovered four more weighty gold coins, and then six, and the more he uncovered, the more he found until it seemed a real trove lay hidden under the sand. As he uncovered more, the sands gradually but noticeably lowered, revealing more of the statues. Now beautiful gold chased alabaster faces were revealed under the headdress, pure and unblemished. A strange design etched on the wall began to be revealed as well.

Show
    Treasure 2 to add to what you've found.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Orc in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Pocketing the coins happily, and looking at the beautiful statues with admiration, leonard says "I think we should stay here a bit longer. I'm curious about it now."

He brushes away sand to reveal the full etchings, trying to identify what they mean. Then he takes some pages from his ledger and some charcoal from the burning torch, to create rubbings of the most significant looking patterns on the etchings. "I wonder who it was who created this place, and what happened to them."

20. - Top - End - #50

Beholder

A channel of sand between the two statues was not difficult to clear away, revealing a most peculiar design in the wall. The adjacent statues were frozen in a gesture pointing to the ancient glyph. As Leonard eagerly began to make an etching, a strange low thrumming caught his attention. Before he could react, a bright light blinded the three and then plunged them into total darkness.

They were wholly somewhere else. Their senses immediately honed in on the sudden absence of gusts against the entry doorway and the noticeable colder clime. There was no noise except for the grit under their boots and the echoes of their hastened breathing...and then the unnameable dread.

Show
    Your torch is still in hand, but the flame sniffed out.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Orc in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Leonard shivers and fumbles around in the darkness, trying to figure out what kind of place they were in. He is somewhat panicky at the unexpected magical effect, and the fact that they could be anywhere. "We have to get a torch lit, see where we are"

22. - Top - End - #52
    Pixie in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Rhil starts to curse as the darkness engulfs him but holds his tongue. As the dark builds oppressively around him, he crouches down into a lower stance and places his blades in a defensive fashion. He begins to listen for the sounds of breathing to locate his comrades and then any other sounds that indicate those who may not be friendly. He almost jumps as Leonard speaks. Calming down, he gently calls out. "Shiv? Are you well? Can you get that torch lit or do we need to?"

23. - Top - End - #53

Shiv

"Oh, I'm here." Shiv says quietly. "Wherever here actually is...and I'd rather not light up the torch right away. Maybe we'd just reveal ourselves to something else, eh?" He says, keeping his voice low. "Give it a minute or two, see if our eyes adjust. If you feel you'll panic without light right away, here, take it and burn it. Just try and remain calm."

Shiv holds the torch out in case anyone wants to grab it and then slowly squats down until he can touch the floor. He runs his hand in a circle around along the ground, trying to learn something about where they are. "The most important thing to remember...when you suddenly find yourself in an unexpected situation...is to not panic. He who thinks before he bolts may yet win the race."

24. - Top - End - #54

Beholder

Such was the complete darkness that even their eyes wouldn’t adjust. However, their ears and touch did. They found themselves in a tight space. It was no more than ten paces from wall to wall except in the only direction they found air space, as though they were at the dead end of a corridor. The silence, other than their own breathing and shifting feet, was ominous. Under Shiv’s touch, he noted less masonry, and more stone — perhaps limestone or sandstone. The walls, too, were rough like carven rock. Without a light source of exploration in the inky blackness, they could discern no more details.

25. - Top - End - #55

Shiv

"Haven't been eaten yet, so let's see where we're at." Shiv says. "Here, come hold the torch for me and I'll try and catch a spark with my flint."

26. - Top - End - #56

Beholder

It took few tries and soon a flame sputtered back to life. The intense torchlight lit their immediate area, confirming their suspicions. They found themselves in a close area with a passage leading away beyond the reach of their light. How they got there, or where they were was a mystery. Now the raiders were the last thing on their minds. They surmised they were now underground. The tunnel was cut — whether by hands or water or a combination thereof, they were uncertain. The low ceiling was rough and the tone and grit of the makeup confirmed a sandstone composition. There were no markings nor masonry on the walls, floors or ceiling except the rough pits, scars, and erosion worn by time. Only the one apparent direction led them away from their current confinement. Which direction that was, there was no telling, disoriented as they were. Still, they heard no sound nor tell of living thing.

Show
    Will update a map after you move into the next area.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Pixie in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Rhil - HP 10/10 - Luck d6 (those extra HP probably have already disappeared, let me know otherwise)

Rhil takes in the new surroundings. "Vannessa's Teats! Looks like we chose the wrong statues to mess with. That magic has a purpose and someone intentionally put it there. So, there should be a way back out, maybe other statues. Only way to know for sure," he gestures into the dark, "is to head that way. I'll move first and keep that torch close enough for me to see anything coming." After making sure his comrades are ready, Rhil steps forward, scanning all sides for anything unusual.

28. - Top - End - #58

Beholder

With Rhil leading the way and Shiv’s torch near at hand, the shadows fled their flickering fingers of illumination. The way proceeded roughly straight for another forty paces before it widened to a larger chamber of some sort. As Rhil approached the terminus of the passage, he saw works of iron or bronze in the room beyond — mouldering racks and ruined gates of metal bars littered the room.

The room was not unoccupied, however. Skeletal guards went about their way in a mockery of their duties in life until the intruders stood at the threshold of the chamber. Six shambling shapes turned toward the three with blackened and blunted weapons readied with a silent challenge from agape jaws.

Show
    Confirming those extra HP go away. Actions? There are six, each 1 HD. While within the passage they can only attack two at a time (as can you).

29. - Top - End - #59

Shiv

"I don't suppose you would be open to a parley...?" Shiv asks into the room, appearing from behind Rhil. "No? I didn't think so. Brace yourselves!" He says and steps to the side to get a clear view of the room. "Unblinking Lord of the Depths, hear my plea and answer! Wash away this flotsam that bars our path back to your cold embrace." Shiv intones to his chosen god and points at the skeletal guards. The air pressure in the room suddenly drops like a beach is drained of water before the tsunami and moments later a silent explosion fills the space as several fathoms of pressure explode among the skeletons. Blood drains from Shiv's nose and ears as he bears some of the burden of the pressure himself.

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Arcane Blast at Power Level 2. The 'element' I've chosen for his Arcane Blast is force, flavored as the unrelenting and sudden pressure of the deep sea. He's going to use Blood Sacrifice, sacrificing 2 points of Physique to add 2 to his Willpower for the spell casting roll.

Modified Willpower is 15, need to roll a 15 or lower. (1d20+2)[21]
    Deals (2d6)[6] force damage, can be resisted for half damage.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Pixie in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Rhil - HP 10/10 - Luck d6

As Shiv begins his spell, Rhil takes a half step back to make sure he doesn't get caught up in anything unpleasant. Seeing the blood begin to trickle out of the ears of Shiv, Rhil steps up alongside his companion and puts himself into an attack posture that allows him to defend the man beside him. He bounces gently on the balls of his feet, waiting for the enemy to come to him for its punishment.