One of my players' characters is a Changeling going through a slight identity crisis, and to that end, they've designed a spell.

I've never really seen a spell like this, so I'd be interested to hear the forum's opinion on this.

Change Race
5th-level Transmutation

Range: Self
Casting Time: 12 hours
Components: V, S, M (Rare herbs and oils worth at least 2,000 gp, and a sample of blood from the desired race)
Duration: Until dispelled
Classes: Druid, Cleric
You transform a humanoid within range into a different humanoid of a playable race, from whence the blood sample came. The target forms a vision in their mind of what they want to be as the desired race, and the spell shapes them accordingly. The caster must have seen a member of the desired race, else the transformation fails.
Over the course of the casting, the target’s natural essence is reformed into that of the desired race. The targeted creature retains the capabilities it had in its original form, but it exchanges the racial traits of its original race for the racial traits of the desired race.

At Higher Levels: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 7th level or higher, the range of this spell becomes 30ft. When you cast this spell using a 9th-level spell slot, the change is permanent and cannot be dispelled without another casting of this spell or the Wish spell.