New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Post Pathfinder/ 3.5 Harvesting for crafting

I came across this: https://www.reddit.com/r/UnearthedAr...or_harvesting/

I've always wondered why one cant just chop down a tree and craft a chair from it. The value conversion just doesn't fit, wood is really cheap but a good chair is really expensive... never mind making a bow from saplings or young trees or something practical and real life.

that book is for 5e... right?

does pathfinder or 3.5 have something like that?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: Pathfinder/ 3.5 Harvesting for crafting

Yes, that book/thread is for 5e. Answering your more general 3.P question:

The crafting rules have fixed costs for raw materials of mundane items both for game balance and ease of play reasons. If you could chop down random trees in the wilderness and turn them into ladders and quarterstaves with no cost but time, then your GM would suddenly have to be careful about how they describe the world to avoid the party getting infinite wealth, or else simply make sure you never have enough downtime to make anything valuable.

This is not to say that your table can't come up with ways to grow, glean or excavate crafting materials manually, just that you're pretty much on your own with devising how that would work from a rules and economy perspective.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

The closest thing to resource production in RAW would be a Profession (logging) check, which earns you money without Crafting a finished good.

I dislike Profession, and prefer to have players roll on the Perform income chart with each relevant, non-Craft skill. I find that lets NPCs generate a living wage, and PCs without magic make some noticeable cash in downtime while wizards are making scrolls and wands. I also use a roll on that table for harvesting pelts/poisons/magical organs from dead creatures.

So Survival and Knowledge nature to see how much useable wood you gather in eight hours. That raw material lets you make Craft checks.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Clementx View Post
    The closest thing to resource production in RAW would be a Profession (logging) check, which earns you money without Crafting a finished good.

I dislike Profession, and prefer to have players roll on the Perform income chart with each relevant, non-Craft skill. I find that lets NPCs generate a living wage, and PCs without magic make some noticeable cash in downtime while wizards are making scrolls and wands. I also use a roll on that table for harvesting pelts/poisons/magical organs from dead creatures.

So Survival and Knowledge nature to see how much useable wood you gather in eight hours. That raw material lets you make Craft checks.
    There are mechanics for harvesting parts from creatures, and unfortunately the profession mechanics dont account for using the things you make.

it seems there is just this black void for chopping down and shaping a basic tree.