New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Default is Repelling Blast good?

I think I've read folk mentioning how good or even overpowered Repelling Blast, the warlock evocation that let's your Eldritch Blast push whoever it hits 10 feet, is.

To me, this evocation looks almost useless. I can see it being decent if you're in melee, but then you're already at disadvantage to hit so that's a bad circumstance to find yourself in. It's also useful if you can push them onto a cliff or something, but that seems rare.

So why is this good, or was I just mistaken that such is a common opinion?

Speculation: at high level when you have several rays, hitting one person several times would be very good and possibly keep them from being able to get into melee range. Is that it?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: is Repelling Blast good?

Repelling Blast is just "decent" on its own. Good DMs may occasionally introduce battlefield effects where pushing an enemy into a certain area becomes beneficial for you, but that's not always the case. Rather Repelling Blast works wonders when you combine it with spells like Wall of Fire or Evard's Black Tentacles. Push an enemy into the area and laugh as he gets burned alive, or gets tentacle raped.

Another way to use it is to prepare beforehand and have someone else in the party "Ready" a spell with an area of effect, like Hypnotic Pattern or Fireball. Set the trigger for the activation of the spell as "the Eldritch Blasts of the warlock push the enemies into this certain area", and you can get more enemies into the area than if your friend caster simply used it on his turn.

Your "speculation" is certainly one way to utilize Repelling Blast, but to unleash its full potential, combination is the key.
    Spoiler: Avatar
    Show

^ Fantastic avatar made by Professor Gnoll. Yaya Tokaz, from the manga "Kukul and Nagi". ^
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Malifice View Post
    Only on a DnD forum would discussing the methods for jamming a T-Rex into a 10x10x10 box be a thing.
    Extended Signature: Homebrew Stuff
    Unlimited Blade Works: The Guide to the Ultimate Paladin/Sorcerer Multiclass

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Anything that lets you do damage AND do something else is worth a look.

Repelling blast lets you:
    • Move enemies away from squishy / ranged party members
    • Move enemies next to melee party members
    • Move enemies into bad things like fire and 10,000 foot drops
    • Move enemies so that a party member can get through the "line of mooks" and reach the "artillery" behind the line.
    • Move enemies so they are grouped for a party member's area of effect spell

Remember that 5e rewards party-level optimization as much or more than player-level optimization.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

This is sorta inspired off a trick used in Yu Yu Hakusho, but it might actually be a fun idea to blast a teammate with Repelling Blast to send him flying into a particular destination, in a time of dire emergency.
    Spoiler: Avatar
    Show

^ Fantastic avatar made by Professor Gnoll. Yaya Tokaz, from the manga "Kukul and Nagi". ^
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Malifice View Post
    Only on a DnD forum would discussing the methods for jamming a T-Rex into a 10x10x10 box be a thing.
    Extended Signature: Homebrew Stuff
    Unlimited Blade Works: The Guide to the Ultimate Paladin/Sorcerer Multiclass

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

In my last session the warlock hit a creature on a platform in a tree ten feet backward into open air 30' up.

this not only added 3d6 damage but brought the creature down to the ground where the fighters could beat on it.

There were three of these creatures and the lock dropped two onto the ground in one round.

It was very effective.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Yeah it's great. Don't underestimate the number of times there are good places to push enemies. Overboard, through a window, off a cliff, away from the wizard, next to the fighter, into the portal. A lot of adventures happen in exotic locations and there are always tactical battlefield choices to make.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyGator View Post
    In my last session the warlock hit a creature on a platform in a tree ten feet backward into open air 30' up.

this not only added 3d6 damage but brought the creature down to the ground where the fighters could beat on it.

There were three of these creatures and the lock dropped two onto the ground in one round.

It was very effective.
    We were in a fight where goblins were riding Giant Vultures. Sorceress uses Repelling Blast, goblins go bye-bye...
    Quote Originally Posted by krugaan
    All it takes is once:

"Grandpa, tells us that story about the Ricalison the Great again!"

Hours later...

"... and that, kids, is how he conquered the world with dancing lights."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by RickAllison View Post
    We were in a fight where goblins were riding Giant Vultures. Sorceress uses Repelling Blast, goblins go bye-bye...
    This is why I keep Crown of Madness on my sorcerer or warlock when I know enemies will be riding mounts.

Rider attacks the mount, the mouth gets mad, the mound attempts to drop the rider because the rider keeps attackingredients their mount... Eventually the mount dies and they drop or the rider is dropped... fun to spread chaos umong enemy ranks.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by R.Shackleford View Post
    This is why I keep Crown of Madness on my sorcerer or warlock when I know enemies will be riding mounts.

Rider attacks the mount, the mouth gets mad, the mound attempts to drop the rider because the rider keeps attackingredients their mount... Eventually the mount dies and they drop or the rider is dropped... fun to spread chaos umong enemy ranks.
    Crown of Madness is so underrated. While it is more situational than other spells, it makes for extreme fun under the right circumstances.

For added points, sow rumors about an anarchist group known as the Black Crowns, who have learned to tap into a magical wellspring of rage to increase their power to topple governments. Then stage a few rebellious actions marked by people with a black crown upon their head before having the sorcerer Subtle Crown of Madness onto a guard of the king. Get him super paranoid about how he cannot trust anyone when the party steps in to take down the guard...
    All it takes is once:

Hours later...

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    Not only just deal damage, it gets pasted onto the main source of damage for most warlocks anyway! Double score!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

DrowGirl

Repelling Blast
    When you hit a creature with eldritch blast, you can push the creature up to 10 feet away from you in a straight line.

What makes Repelling Blast great is less to do with the effect on its own, but how much better it makes eldritch blast. EB is already the strongest cantrip in the game, but now you're adding a control effect to it. Did I mention that there's no size limitation or saving throw? The reason this is so powerful is because it's on a Cantrip, and it's also a Warlock's main damage source. You have the power to constantly push creatures away from you and your allies, knock them off of parapets to take a castle, push people off of a cliff, corale enemies together for AoE spells. Being able to freely move enemies on the field at all times is a DM nightmare.

I'm also pretty sure you can push an enemy multiple times at higher levels, but the RAW isn't 100% clear here. Even if you can't, pushing three guys in different directions is fantastic. It is important to remember that it's 10 feet from you "in a straight line". I generally allow players to push them in one of three directions (directly away, or 5 feet to either side of that), but it makes positioning as a Warlock very valuable.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by RickAllison View Post
    Crown of Madness is so underrated. While it is more situational than other spells, it makes for extreme fun under the right circumstances.

For added points, sow rumors about an anarchist group known as the Black Crowns, who have learned to tap into a magical wellspring of rage to increase their power to topple governments. Then stage a few rebellious actions marked by people with a black crown upon their head before having the sorcerer Subtle Crown of Madness onto a guard of the king. Get him super paranoid about how he cannot trust anyone when the party steps in to take down the guard...
    Oh yes, CoM is one of my favorites. One of my friends says it's on the list of spells that I'm banned from learning. And this dude is a sandbox type DM :p

Repelling blast action
    Quicken CoM bonus action

An all warlock party (MC some of them) is quite the group to use CoM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

IMHO Repelling Blast is almost as good or better than Agonizing Blast.

I had a warlock in a seafaring campaign. Blowing opponents off of the ship was one of the most super fun and powerful effects in the campaign. But even in dungeons, synergy with a PAM/Sentinel fighter can be ridiculous.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

attackingredients
    Saywhowhahuh?
    Quote Originally Posted by imneuromancer View Post
    synergy with a PAM/Sentinel fighter can be ridiculous.
    Can't Opportunity Attack a creature from forced movement. They have to move of their own volition.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by ZenBear View Post
    Saywhowhahuh?

Can't Opportunity Attack a creature from forced movement. They have to move of their own volition.
    I think it is more the ridiculous nature of pushing them back so they have to re-enter the PAM/Sentinel's radius. So rather than a creature being able to back the PAM into a corner, the PAM could potentially advance while holding back the target.
    All it takes is once:

Hours later...

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Official answer is that crossbow expert works with ranged attack spells to eliminate disadvantage in melee range. Repelling blast to push an enemy back ten feet so you don't incur an attack of opportunity to move

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Elminster298 View Post
    Official answer is that crossbow expert works with ranged attack spells to eliminate disadvantage in melee range. Repelling blast to push an enemy back ten feet so you don't incur an attack of opportunity to move
    Each blast is its own attack, that's 10' per blast last I checked... 10' to 40'...

18. - Top - End - #18
    Bugbear in the Playground

Imp

One of my players combined it with Hunger of Hadar (area affect, 2d6 unavoidable damage at start of turn, 2d6 saveable damage at end of turn, difficult terrain). He set it in front of opponents, and then used repelling blast. Just taking that invocation ups his damage by at least 6d6 per creature, every other combat (intelligent or cowardly opponents go around it).

Also, at long range (especially combined with distant spell, spell sniper, or eldritch spear), against enemies, it effectively reduces their speed by 10 feet every hit. So, in that situation, it is the same as ray of frost, but more damaging.

19. - Top - End - #19

DrowGirl

Each blast is its own attack, that's 10' per blast last I checked... 10' to 40'...
    Yes, but it's done with the "Cast a Spell" action, which is a single action. You cannot move between EBs, so I'm not so sure that each hit would push a creature an additional 10'. The effect says "When you hit a creature with" not "for each hit you can". It's about as clear as Whirlwind Attack and moving, anyway. (Please, let's not go through that again)

Most people seem to allow multiple pushes, so I'm content with that at the moment. I'd be interested in seeing what SA has to say on it though.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Sabeta View Post
    Yes, but it's done with the "Cast a Spell" action, which is a single action. You cannot move between EBs, so I'm not so sure that each hit would push a creature an additional 10'. The effect says "When you hit a creature with" not "for each hit you can". It's about as clear as Whirlwind Attack and moving, anyway. (Please, let's not go through that again)

Most people seem to allow multiple pushes, so I'm content with that at the moment. I'd be interested in seeing what SA has to say on it though.
    Wrong.

You are using rules that don't relate to try and make up new rules.

"Agonizing Blast

Prerequisite: eldritch blast* cantrip

When you cast eldritch blast, add your Charisma modifier to the damage it deals on a hit."

The damage dealt by the Agonizing Blast EB has been confirmed to work off each blast. 1d10 + Cha for each one.

"Repelling Blast

Prerequisite: eldritch blast* cantrip

When you hit a creature with eldritch blast, you can push the creature up to 10 feet away from you in a straight line."

Repelling Blast uses the same wording of "hit" and not anything to do with what action is taken.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

You can also keep most melee out of your range unless they dash just be knocking them 40ft back. E-Blast has is very nice, but like everyone has said combining it with other spells or teammates makes for some great fun.

Also think of how often a warlock is going to be casting your go to cantrip anyway? Anything that improves on that is a win.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Zombie

• Move enemies so that a party member can get through the "line of mooks" and reach the "artillery" behind the line.

Remember that 5e rewards party-level optimization as much or more than player-level optimization.
    Don't forget things like if you are on a ship and you knock an enemy off the side you've more than likely killed him regardless of his HP.

Smashing apart a shield wall, extra good for creatures with some form of pack tactics.

And I think the most logical interpretation is that it's 10' per blast that hits, so up to 40'.

23. - Top - End - #23

RedWizardGuy

Repelling Blast is extremely good. In the hands of a good player, it works wonder.

In most fights, it should buy you at least 1 round (most combat start with at least 30 feets between enemies) from the 1+ blast that connects. Since a bunch of enemies don't have ranged attacks or they are a lot worst, that's great.

Works well with continuous area damage spells. The good ones like spike growth, firewall, hunger of hadar, but even the very bad ones like bonfire or cloud of dagger. Putting the bonfire in a 10 feets wide hall between you and the enemies means they have to take a save to get to your team. Then you can possibly push them back again.

Pushing back enemies in control spells. If he's already taking half movement to get out of web, chances are he won't be far from it.

As soon as you have different levels in the stages, it's monstrous. There's a stair or ladder? You're pushing them back, probably for extra damage and negating their movement altogether if there's difficult terrain.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    I think I've read folk mentioning how good or even overpowered Repelling Blast, the warlock evocation that let's your Eldritch Blast push whoever it hits 10 feet, is.

To me, this evocation looks almost useless.
    So why is this good?
    Since someone already summarized it perfectly...

THIS. A thousand times THIS.
    Quote Originally Posted by imneuromancer View Post
    IMHO Repelling Blast is almost as good or better than Agonizing Blast.
    Agreed. It works even more wonders as a multiclass with Rogue (Cunning Action) or Sorcerer (Haste), because it means it's easier to place yourself in the best position to push enemies the way you like it (since you cannot move between the rays).

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

First 5 levels:
    If you're playing the SorLock, look below. SorLocks are always one step ahead. Otherwise, you have a decent at will ability to move targets on hazards... hazards that can be caused by you, such as digging holes before the battle, or consistant AOEs such as Create Bonefire.

Mid game, if you have a wizard in the party, he can cast nice things like walls, and you simply, constantly push them back on those CAOE

End game, you can play your turn right after the party wizard casts Prismatic Wall (exactly 10 feet behind the enemie(s)) and then you both win the dammage dealing contest, effectivelly dealing 50d6+(1-4)d10+(1-4)d6(with hex) (×2 if a sorlock with quicken) dammage in 1 turn. This is dealt to 1-4 targets (or 1-8 for a sorlock), and can be repeated as much as needed, even in subsequent turns if you can teleport short range.
    That+ the occasional hazzard the dm will set+ the fact that it is a super cool ability visually makes it such a popular option.
    Last edited by Asmotherion; 2016-08-16 at 07:42 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Yes, pretty good. I would even say broken as it has no save. The only thing holding repelling blast is the lack of rules for how it interact with the environment, which makes it DM dependant.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Daphne View Post
    Yes, pretty good. I would even say broken as it has no save. The only thing holding repelling blast is the lack of rules for how it interact with the environment, which makes it DM dependant.
    I'm not sure exactly what you mean and which way you are taking it but I figured I would put this out there.

Eldritch Blast can't target objects

(the mad face is at WotC)

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

I'm not sure exactly what you mean and which way you are taking it but I figured I would put this out there.

Eldritch Blast can't target objects

(the mad face is at WotC)
    I know you can't target objects

What I'm talking about is how repelled target interacts with everything else: If there is a wall, does he break it? If there is a small rock behind him, does he tumble and fall to the ground? Does he ignores everything on the way?

The DM decides what happens and how it happens, that's why I said it's DM dependant.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

This is true. I simply mentioned 10' as it would pertain to the situation I outlined. 40' against one opponent or 10' per attacker if you are facing multiple enemies and want to get away. However you look at it it can be a great disengage while still dealing damage.

30. - Top - End - #30

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Daphne View Post
    I know you can't target objects

What I'm talking about is how repelled target interacts with everything else: If there is a wall, does he break it? If there is a small rock behind him, does he tumble and fall to the ground? Does he ignores everything on the way?

The DM decides what happens and how it happens, that's why I said it's DM dependant.
    The implications of this are actually kind of humorous. My initial instinct if I were DMing would be to allow it to push non-anchored objects. This has interesting implications however because a decent sized boulder where most of it is underground cannot be pushed, but a Gargantuan Creature can. You cannot move or knock down a stone tower that has a foundation, but you could shove a walking city. In other words, Repelling Blast has enough force to knock around an Ancient Black Dragon but cannot blow over a stone house.

Needless to say, if my players ever decided that were enemies of structure then I may have to create rules for this kind of interaction. Perhaps allow EB to knock down 5 foot sections of stone walls if you roll above a walls AC and/or assigned HP to it that they have to get through as well.