Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 68
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    MonkGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2016

    Default Re: skull lord and assume supernatural ability

    Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleBison View Post
    No, that is just wrong. The ability doesn't cause you to gain anything; the word "gain" doesn't even appear in the text. It only says "regain".
    If a skull lord is healed so that its hit points once again exceed one-third or two-thirds of its full normal total, ...
    The "if" part sets the condition when the ability starts to work.

    Followed by the effect part:
    ...the appropriate skull reappears. The skull lord then regains the use of the ability granted by the skull.
    The effect doesn't explicitly require you to have lost the ability. It is the effect that you "regain" it. And as said, effect parts that are nonfunctional don't stop the rest of the effect to apply. "Regain" is the short form of "to get back; to recover possession ". While the "back/recover" part of the effect doesn't apply in our situation, the "gain" part still applies.

    It's like an undead creature with rage. Just because it doesn't have a CON score, doesn't cause the rage ability to become nonfunctional. It still has (3 + "-"= 3) 3 rounds duration and all other modifiers besides from CON still apply.

    Same here, just because you don't gain it "back", doesn't stop you from gaining it.

    I hope the explanation is comprehensible. I'm not sure if I did find the best words to describe the situation here..^^
    Orochimaru, the ultimate villain
    El Mariachi dual double-hand-crossbow action
    Papa Smurf a Redcap Lion of Talisid (ubercharger/gish)
    Hellfire Escalation Glaivelock a Killer Kobold build
    Hammerdin of Moradin a guide to epic hammer throwing
    Almighty Claw of Malar monk/warlock gish (with minor DBZ-SSJ fluff)
    TO: BoBaFeat Body outside Body & Void Disciple 4 to break the game.

  2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Earth and/or not-Earth
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: skull lord and assume supernatural ability

    Quote Originally Posted by Gruftzwerg View Post
    The "if" part sets the condition when the ability starts to work.

    Followed by the effect part:

    The effect doesn't explicitly require you to have lost the ability. It is the effect that you "regain" it. And as said, effect parts that are nonfunctional don't stop the rest of the effect to apply. "Regain" is the short form of "to get back; to recover possession ". While the "back/recover" part of the effect doesn't apply in our situation, the "gain" part still applies.

    It's like an undead creature with rage. Just because it doesn't have a CON score, doesn't cause the rage ability to become nonfunctional. It still has (3 + "-"= 3) 3 rounds duration and all other modifiers besides from CON still apply.

    Same here, just because you don't gain it "back", doesn't stop you from gaining it.

    I hope the explanation is comprehensible. I'm not sure if I did find the best words to describe the situation here..^^
    You can't just ignore part of an ability when you're interpreting it. The text says "regain", so if you can't regain the ability then nothing happens.
    I'm making a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.

  3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground
     
    GreenSorcererElf

    Join Date
    Jul 2016

    Default Re: skull lord and assume supernatural ability

    Quote Originally Posted by Darg View Post
    Well, there you go. Polymorph grants Triple Skull (Ex) and therefore the Su abilities with it.
    Might want to reread polymorph. It grants ex special attacks, but not special qualities. Triple Skulls is a SQ.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    So, your roleplaying guide is pretty much "Live Fast, Die Young, Leave a confusing corpse"?

  4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground
     
    GreenSorcererElf

    Join Date
    Jul 2016

    Default Re: skull lord and assume supernatural ability

    Quote Originally Posted by Gruftzwerg View Post
    The "if" part sets the condition when the ability starts to work.

    Followed by the effect part:

    The effect doesn't explicitly require you to have lost the ability. It is the effect that you "regain" it. And as said, effect parts that are nonfunctional don't stop the rest of the effect to apply. "Regain" is the short form of "to get back; to recover possession ". While the "back/recover" part of the effect doesn't apply in our situation, the "gain" part still applies.

    It's like an undead creature with rage. Just because it doesn't have a CON score, doesn't cause the rage ability to become nonfunctional. It still has (3 + "-"= 3) 3 rounds duration and all other modifiers besides from CON still apply.

    Same here, just because you don't gain it "back", doesn't stop you from gaining it.

    I hope the explanation is comprehensible. I'm not sure if I did find the best words to describe the situation here..^^
    Error. It regains the ability GRANTED BY THE SKULL. It is THE SKULL that grants the ability, inherited from the three skulls ex sq which is not gained.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    So, your roleplaying guide is pretty much "Live Fast, Die Young, Leave a confusing corpse"?

  5. - Top - End - #35

    Default Re: skull lord and assume supernatural ability

    Quote Originally Posted by Darg View Post
    Well, there you go. Polymorph grants Triple Skull (Ex) and therefore the Su abilities with it.
    even if you dont have the ex ability the monster's su abilities are fair game for assume supernatural ability if you assume its form.

  6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    MonkGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2016

    Default Re: skull lord and assume supernatural ability

    Quote Originally Posted by Calthropstu View Post
    Error. It regains the ability GRANTED BY THE SKULL. It is THE SKULL that grants the ability, inherited from the three skulls ex sq which is not gained.
    Nope, it is not referring to the "Three Skulls" ability.
    The skull lord then regains the use of the ability granted by the skull.
    It refers to the skulls that they grant the abilities and not to the "Three Skulls" ability. That is not what the text says.
    Orochimaru, the ultimate villain
    El Mariachi dual double-hand-crossbow action
    Papa Smurf a Redcap Lion of Talisid (ubercharger/gish)
    Hellfire Escalation Glaivelock a Killer Kobold build
    Hammerdin of Moradin a guide to epic hammer throwing
    Almighty Claw of Malar monk/warlock gish (with minor DBZ-SSJ fluff)
    TO: BoBaFeat Body outside Body & Void Disciple 4 to break the game.

  7. - Top - End - #37
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Khatoblepas's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    England

    Default Re: skull lord and assume supernatural ability

    Quote Originally Posted by Calthropstu View Post
    Might want to reread polymorph. It grants ex special attacks, but not special qualities. Triple Skulls is a SQ.
    Re-read the monster entry, Triple Skulls is a SA!
    Quote Originally Posted by newguydude1 View Post
    even if you dont have the ex ability the monster's su abilities are fair game for assume supernatural ability if you assume its form.
    Where does it state that a Skull Lord has Bone Beckon etc outside of Triple Skulls? It's not in its stat block, and you don't get Skull Loss if you polymorph into one.

  8. - Top - End - #38

    Default Re: skull lord and assume supernatural ability

    Quote Originally Posted by Khatoblepas View Post
    Where does it state that a Skull Lord has Bone Beckon etc outside of Triple Skulls? It's not in its stat block, and you don't get Skull Loss if you polymorph into one.
    i explained it in your own vow of poverty example.

    creature who has vow of poverty
    i assume the form of said creature
    i grab assume supernatural ability:exalted strike
    i can now exalted strike even though i dont have vow of poverty.

    as gogogome pointed out your treating innate monster abilities like magic items so you can somehow say the monster doesnt have it. he has it. just like a monster with vow of poverty has exalted strike. if you do assume supernatural ability vow of poverty you get everything. if you do assume supernatural ability exalted strike you only get exalted strike.

    bone beckon is in the stat block. it references the skull lord personally many, many, many times along with his skulls. you have absolutely no basis or grounds to say an su ability obtained via an ex ability is not part of the creatures stat block.

    by your logic a creature who obtains a su ability via a class feature doesnt have the ability. nonsense. why stop there? why not say 100% of the creatures ex and su abilities are not his stat block but the result of his race and therefore the creature has no ex or su abilities since theyre all derived from race.

    Quote Originally Posted by assume supernatural ability
    You learn to use a single supernatural ability of another kind of creature while assuming its form through a polymorph self spell or a similar effect.
    all skull lords have create servitor. doesnt matter if its his ex ability that grants him the su ability. he still has that su ability. and when i turn into a skull lord and grab assume supernatural ability i can use it.

    simple logic
    anyone who has triple skulls has create servitor
    all skull lords has triple skulls as a racial ability
    therefore skull lords have create servitor
    therefore i can assume the form of a skull lord and use create servitor with assume supernatural ability.
    you cannot say "skull lords dont have create servitor". its a racial su ability. they have it.

    vow of poverty is a terrible example. ask yourself this. if a creature has fiery burst as a racial feat. does he have a su ability called fiery burst? y/n.
    the answer is y.
    let me remind you all feats are ex abilities unless noted otherwise.
    Last edited by newguydude1; 2021-02-25 at 12:40 PM.

  9. - Top - End - #39
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Khatoblepas's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    England

    Default Re: skull lord and assume supernatural ability

    Quote Originally Posted by newguydude1 View Post
    bone beckon is in the stat block. it references the skull lord personally many, many, many times along with his skulls. you have absolutely no basis or grounds to say an su ability obtained via an ex ability is not part of the creatures stat block.
    Ahem:
    Quote Originally Posted by Monster Manual V pg 6
    SA:
    For the purpose of determining the effect of feats and
    the application of templates, the creature’s special attacks
    are given here even if they appear elsewhere in the statistics
    block. Specific NPCs don’t include this information.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monster Manual V pg 6
    The final portion of the statistics block consists of para-
    graphs explaining special abilities noted earlier
    For the purposes of feats, the special attack entry in the stat block is what you use to see what you can do as that monster. No Bone Beckon, Create Servitor, or Bone Shard in that entry, so no Assume Supernatural Ability (Create Servitor).

  10. - Top - End - #40

    Default Re: skull lord and assume supernatural ability

    Quote Originally Posted by Khatoblepas View Post
    Ahem:




    For the purposes of feats, the special attack entry in the stat block is what you use to see what you can do as that monster. No Bone Beckon, Create Servitor, or Bone Shard in that entry, so no Assume Supernatural Ability (Create Servitor).
    i literally dont see the point your trying to make.

    could someone else try to explain what this person is trying to say?
    how does that quote say su abilities obtained from a racial ex ability is not a "supernatural ability of another kind of creature"
    how does that quote even say su abiltiies obtained from feats is not part of that creatures stat block? did i understand what hes saying right?

    the quote is just saying its listing the abilities twice or more. once in the feat list, once in the stat block, for ease of access. how is this relevant to anything here?

    let me just break it down sentence by sentence
    For the purpose of determining the effect of feats and the application of templates,
    for determining the effects of feats,
    for the application of templates. as in for dms who want to apply templates to monsters.

    the creature’s special attacks are given here
    the creatures special attacks are given here.
    even if they appear elsewhere in the statistics block
    even if the creatures special attacks appeared elsewhere in the statistics block.

    so the whole thing is still inside the creatures statistics block. absolutely none of them is outside it.

    so to determine the effects of feats and to apply templates, the creature special attacks are listed here even though theyve been previously listed at another part of the statistic block.

    wtf does this have to do with su abilities and ex abilities that grant su abilities?

    i genuinely dont understand the argument here.



    his earlier quote
    Many creatures have unusual abilities. A monster entry breaks these abilities into special attacks and special qualities. The latter category includes defenses, vulnerabilities, and other special abilities that are not modes of attack. A special ability is either extraordinary (Ex), spell-like (Sp), or supernatural (Su). Additional information (when needed) is provided in the creature’s descriptive text.
    just says special attacks and special qualities are ex, sp, and su.

    yet somehow these two quotes prove that create servitor is outside the monsters stat block.
    wtf am i missing?



    Quote Originally Posted by Calthropstu View Post
    Might want to reread polymorph. It grants ex special attacks, but not special qualities. Triple Skulls is a SQ.
    triple skulls is listed as a special attack twice.

    Quote Originally Posted by mmv
    special actions triple skulls
    ...
    sa triple skulls



    edit:
    ok i think i might understand what hes saying?

    i think he thinks that the "stat block" ends right above "skull loss". so everything from "skull loss" to "create spectral rider" is not part of the creatures stat block.
    so hes saying "create spectral rider", an unbolded unindented su abilitiy, is also not part of the skull lords stat block and therefore unavailable for assume supernatural ability.

    if thats what he is saying he is wrong. because "skull loss" is part of the creature stat block. that line that separates it from possessions doesnt mean the stat block ends there. it just separates the special ability descriptions from the other stuff.
    Last edited by newguydude1; 2021-02-25 at 01:36 PM.

  11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Karrnath
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: skull lord and assume supernatural ability

    When you polymorph you don't gain access to an individual's feats unless they are inherent to the form, such as the free bonus feats like improved natural attack, weapon finesse, and the like. These are marked with a B. So polymorphing into an individual with vow of poverty does not grant vow of poverty unless it is inherent to the individual's form (I do not believe this is the case for any statted creature. An individual may take a feat, but that is not a part of the form, thus you may not assume supernatural ability on the feat, since the form doesn't possess the feat, the individual does. This is the same for supernatural abilities gained through class, as they are an individual's abilities.

    Effectively when you polymorph into a creature, many effects happen. You take the form of a generic creature of that type, meaning you are not polymorphing into Gorag the Devastating orc barbarian 12, you are polymorphing into an orc. Then you roll a disguise check to see how well you look like Gorag the Devastating. Gorag the Devastating may possess vow of poverty and exalted strike, but a generic orc does not.

    Now I don't believe any of the above matters to the case of the skull abilities.

    I believe that like the rest of mm 4 and 5, the statblock is hideous, and moves things away from where they need to be. Namely Special Qualities are not all within the special Qualities section, and special attacks aren't all within the special attacks section. They have dr, immunities, resistances, and special senses, all which should be in the special Qualities section, outside of it. Spell like abilities, spellcasting, offensive auras, and similar that should be within the special attack section, are usually not within the special attack section. This makes many of these statblocks incredibly difficult for player use, and I generally have to reorient the statblock into the normal statblock in order to use the monster.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    I feel like telling the ghost of Gary Gygax to hold your beer is a good way to suddenly stop being the GM, but I have to admit that this would probably be remarkably effective. At what, I dunno, but effective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombulian View Post
    I am continually astounded by how new you are here in contrast to how impressive your mind is.

  12. - Top - End - #42

    Default Re: skull lord and assume supernatural ability

    Quote Originally Posted by Falontani View Post
    I believe that like the rest of mm 4 and 5, the statblock is hideous, and moves things away from where they need to be. Namely Special Qualities are not all within the special Qualities section, and special attacks aren't all within the special attacks section. They have dr, immunities, resistances, and special senses, all which should be in the special Qualities section, outside of it. Spell like abilities, spellcasting, offensive auras, and similar that should be within the special attack section, are usually not within the special attack section. This makes many of these statblocks incredibly difficult for player use, and I generally have to reorient the statblock into the normal statblock in order to use the monster.
    i actually like the new format. i think its designed in a way thats easier to use. like if you need a spot or listen its at the top instead of needing to find it in the middle of the skill list. so its not using a character sheet format, its more of a cliff notes format and then explanations later.

    i could see how it could be frustrating but i like the new format. old format is better for inputting data into a computer, new format is better for not inputting any data and having the sheet next to you and you roll manually.

  13. - Top - End - #43
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2014

    Default Re: skull lord and assume supernatural ability

    Quote Originally Posted by newguydude1 View Post
    i actually like the new format. i think its designed in a way thats easier to use. like if you need a spot or listen its at the top instead of needing to find it in the middle of the skill list. so its not using a character sheet format, its more of a cliff notes format and then explanations later.

    i could see how it could be frustrating but i like the new format. old format is better for inputting data into a computer, new format is better for not inputting any data and having the sheet next to you and you roll manually.
    I'm with you here. The information is roughly organized into when the info is relevant. Pre-combat stuff is first, then enemy-turn info like AC and saves and resistances, then own-turn information like speed and attack modes. It takes a little getting used to, but it's much easier to find stuff once you do. (I'm working on my own character sheet software currently and I like this layout so much that I've adopted it myself.)

    That said, the fact that they arrange things in this way can make it difficult to determine what kind of ability something is from a design perspective, which is extremely relevant when using one of 3.5's many differently-implemented form-altering capabilities. The new format is (in my opinion) much better at running the monster, but much worse for players assuming the form of the monster.
    Last edited by rrwoods; 2021-02-25 at 02:08 PM.
    Excel sheet for 3.5 -- Native support for stacking rules and multiple forms; as lightweight as possible otherwise. (links currently broken, if you want a copy LMK)

  14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground
     
    GreenSorcererElf

    Join Date
    Jul 2016

    Default Re: skull lord and assume supernatural ability

    This entire thread belongs in the "silliest things from 3.5" thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    So, your roleplaying guide is pretty much "Live Fast, Die Young, Leave a confusing corpse"?

  15. - Top - End - #45

    Default Re: skull lord and assume supernatural ability

    Quote Originally Posted by Calthropstu View Post
    This entire thread belongs in the "silliest things from 3.5" thread.
    why dont you play test the thing before calling it silly. its decent at levels 1-4, but at level 5 it becomes unusably worthless.

  16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground
     
    GreenSorcererElf

    Join Date
    Jul 2016

    Default Re: skull lord and assume supernatural ability

    Quote Originally Posted by newguydude1 View Post
    why dont you play test the thing before calling it silly. its decent at levels 1-4, but at level 5 it becomes unusably worthless.
    Ummm. The only way that is true is if your gm allows TO and throws absurd CRs at you. I have played straight fighters from lvl 1 to 20 and found them to be perfectly fine. Sorcs are my preffered, but all classes are viable. I looked at that statblock and its Three Skulls ability looked way op for a 1st level ability. That's the level of "We fight a couple wolves, maybe a few goblins and then beat a low level boss and gain a level." That thing could solo a cr 12 encounter easily.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    So, your roleplaying guide is pretty much "Live Fast, Die Young, Leave a confusing corpse"?

  17. - Top - End - #47

    Default Re: skull lord and assume supernatural ability

    Quote Originally Posted by Calthropstu View Post
    Ummm. The only way that is true is if your gm allows TO and throws absurd CRs at you. I have played straight fighters from lvl 1 to 20 and found them to be perfectly fine. Sorcs are my preffered, but all classes are viable. I looked at that statblock and its Three Skulls ability looked way op for a 1st level ability. That's the level of "We fight a couple wolves, maybe a few goblins and then beat a low level boss and gain a level." That thing could solo a cr 12 encounter easily.
    look at it again.
    create servitor has a total el cap of 7.
    so thats 3 serpentirs
    or 4 bonespurs

    serpentirs damage output is 1d6+2. he has 8 attacks a round so thats a lot. but guess what, the average damage is 5.5 per hit. so dr5 is gonna drop that to 4 damage a round. 4. your straight fighters are gonna have something that beats dr. these guys dont. 4 damage a round. dr 10 creatures they do 0 damage.

    bonespurs have a better shot at creatures with dr but they are glass. low ac, only 26 hp, only one attack a round, they gonna get chopped up real nice.

    and then we have the problem of corpse hunting to get skeletons. if you want to raise actual skeletons then you need to do the whole corpse hunting thing and even then your stuck with ecl7.

    so tell me how any of this can solo a cr12 encounter?

  18. - Top - End - #48
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    JNAProductions's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Avatar By Linklele!

    Default Re: skull lord and assume supernatural ability

    Quote Originally Posted by newguydude1 View Post
    look at it again.
    create servitor has a total el cap of 7.
    so thats 3 serpentirs
    or 4 bonespurs

    serpentirs damage output is 1d6+2. he has 8 attacks a round so thats a lot. but guess what, the average damage is 5.5 per hit. so dr5 is gonna drop that to 4 damage a round. 4. your straight fighters are gonna have something that beats dr. these guys dont. 4 damage a round. dr 10 creatures they do 0 damage.

    bonespurs have a better shot at creatures with dr but they are glass. low ac, only 26 hp, only one attack a round, they gonna get chopped up real nice.

    and then we have the problem of corpse hunting to get skeletons. if you want to raise actual skeletons then you need to do the whole corpse hunting thing and even then your stuck with ecl7.

    so tell me how any of this can solo a cr12 encounter?
    They average 1 damage per hit, not half, against DR 5 that works against their attacks.

    And, just clicking some random SRD monsters...
    Formians: No DR, CR up to 17.
    Mephits: DR 5/Magic, CR of 3.
    Devourer: No DR, CR 11.
    Gray Render: No DR, CR 8.
    Lillend: No DR, CR 7.
    Rakshasa: DR 15/Good and Piercing, CR 10.

    So, against some EL 12 encounters, your minions won't do much good.
    Against others, they'll be fighting at full power.

    There's no guarantee any given CR foe will have DR or not.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

    Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Professor Gnoll!
    Show


    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Cdr. Fallout!
    Show

  19. - Top - End - #49

    Default Re: skull lord and assume supernatural ability

    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    They average 1 damage per hit, not half, against DR 5 that works against their attacks.

    And, just clicking some random SRD monsters...
    Formians: No DR, CR up to 17.
    Mephits: DR 5/Magic, CR of 3.
    Devourer: No DR, CR 11.
    Gray Render: No DR, CR 8.
    Lillend: No DR, CR 7.
    Rakshasa: DR 15/Good and Piercing, CR 10.

    So, against some EL 12 encounters, your minions won't do much good.
    Against others, they'll be fighting at full power.

    There's no guarantee any given CR foe will have DR or not.
    cr10 formian myrmarchs have 28ac. serpentirs have +5 to attack. they literally cannot hit except on a critical.
    serpentir ac is 15. all of the fm's attacks are gonna hit unless he roles a 1.
    add his fast healing 2 to that and you get the idea. serpentirs are gonna get clobbered.

    higher cr has higher ac, dr, flying, or some other gimmick and stuff. i really dont see how these cr4 creatures are relevant at level 12.

  20. - Top - End - #50

    Default Re: skull lord and assume supernatural ability

    Quote Originally Posted by Calthropstu View Post
    Ummm. The only way that is true is if your gm allows TO and throws absurd CRs at you. I have played straight fighters from lvl 1 to 20 and found them to be perfectly fine. Sorcs are my preffered, but all classes are viable. I looked at that statblock and its Three Skulls ability looked way op for a 1st level ability. That's the level of "We fight a couple wolves, maybe a few goblins and then beat a low level boss and gain a level." That thing could solo a cr 12 encounter easily.
    Which cr 12 encounter did you have in mind?

  21. - Top - End - #51
    Troll in the Playground
     
    GreenSorcererElf

    Join Date
    Jul 2016

    Default Re: skull lord and assume supernatural ability

    Quote Originally Posted by magicalmagicman View Post
    Which cr 12 encounter did you have in mind?
    Just about any standard beatstick model would be obliterated by the 32 attacks per round. Sure, their damage is low. But we both know how little that matters as soon as wbl comes into play. It's a cr 7 right? So as a pc, you get 7th lvl wbl. Buy a few buff reusables and that 1d6+2 becomes much greater. Getting this at lvl 1 is so much overkill it isn't even funn
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    So, your roleplaying guide is pretty much "Live Fast, Die Young, Leave a confusing corpse"?

  22. - Top - End - #52

    Default Re: skull lord and assume supernatural ability

    Quote Originally Posted by Calthropstu View Post
    Just about any standard beatstick model would be obliterated by the 32 attacks per round. Sure, their damage is low. But we both know how little that matters as soon as wbl comes into play. It's a cr 7 right? So as a pc, you get 7th lvl wbl. Buy a few buff reusables and that 1d6+2 becomes much greater. Getting this at lvl 1 is so much overkill it isn't even funn
    its a cr4

    why dont you just show us how these serpentirs would kill a formian myrmarch which is 2 crs lower than what you claim they can solo.

    and its 24 attacks per round.

    i suggest you review all the monsters and abilities involved to get the numbers straight before you start doing "math"

    just show us how a wizard who spends all of his wbl trying to beef up three cr4 monsters is "op" and capable of "soloing cr 12 encounters"
    and show us how its better than a normal necromancer using animate dead to create a 20hd skeleton and outfitting that with wealth by level.

    edit:actually its two 20hd skeletons cause you get 4x your caster level in undead hd. two twenty hd skeletons v.s. three serpentirs. show us how the serpentirs are "op" compared to animate dead. and keep in mind scrolls of both stone to flesh and polymorph any object can create any skeleton you want.
    Last edited by newguydude1; 2021-02-27 at 05:21 PM.

  23. - Top - End - #53

    Default Re: skull lord and assume supernatural ability

    Quote Originally Posted by Calthropstu View Post
    Just about any standard beatstick model would be obliterated by the 32 attacks per round. Sure, their damage is low. But we both know how little that matters as soon as wbl comes into play. It's a cr 7 right? So as a pc, you get 7th lvl wbl. Buy a few buff reusables and that 1d6+2 becomes much greater. Getting this at lvl 1 is so much overkill it isn't even funn
    Isn't a Formian Myrmarch a "beatstick model"?

    Could you show us a "beatstick model" that gets obliterated by three cr4 creatures?
    Last edited by magicalmagicman; 2021-02-27 at 05:08 PM.

  24. - Top - End - #54
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: skull lord and assume supernatural ability

    {Scrubbed}
    Last edited by Pirate ninja; 2021-02-27 at 05:34 PM.

  25. - Top - End - #55

    Default Re: skull lord and assume supernatural ability

    Quote Originally Posted by XionUnborn01 View Post
    {Scrub the post, scrub the quote}
    I do. I plan on using this to give my Psion access to undead once he can hit manifester level 12 with Metamorphosis.

    I don't think I'm a garbage player. Nor do I think this is idiotically shoehorned, obnoxious, or annoying.

    I think the real obnoxious and annoying player is someone who insults others and puts down other people's way of playing when other people's own DM has fully accepted their way of playing. If his DM allows it, who are you to call the way a person plays the game idiotic, obnoxious, or annoying?
    Last edited by Pirate ninja; 2021-02-27 at 05:34 PM.

  26. - Top - End - #56

    Default Re: skull lord and assume supernatural ability

    Quote Originally Posted by TheShapechanger View Post
    I do. I plan on using this to give my Psion access to undead once he can hit manifester level 12 with Metamorphosis.

    I don't think I'm a garbage player. Nor do I think this is idiotically shoehorned, obnoxious, or annoying.

    I think the real obnoxious and annoying player is someone who insults others and puts down other people's way of playing when other people's own DM has fully accepted their way of playing. If his DM allows it, who are you to call the way a person plays the game idiotic, obnoxious, or annoying?
    It always amazes me to see someone posting solely to spew hate towards other people's way of playing. Especially in a thread that doesn't concern them in any what way or form. Needless to say I will never share a table with such people.

    If your creating a regular skeleton with the ability, your hd limit is a hard 17 because 17hd skeletons are cr7. So I do think it is a good idea for a psion, or anyone with polymorph for that matter, to always pick this trick up since there is no cost for this free 17hd skeleton.

  27. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground
     
    GreenSorcererElf

    Join Date
    Jul 2016

    Default Re: skull lord and assume supernatural ability

    Quote Originally Posted by magicalmagicman View Post
    Isn't a Formian Myrmarch a "beatstick model"?

    Could you show us a "beatstick model" that gets obliterated by three cr4 creatures?
    8 attacks, 1d6 +2 +5 to hit. I thought it was 4, it was 4 of the other creature op mentioned, 3 for this one.

    8 attacks, it's all being controlled by a pc. Skull Lord is cr 7, so 7th level wbl. You add several buffs from wands, scrolls etc. Haste for 27 attacks, +6 to hit +2 to damage. Desecrate + portable altar for +2 to hit.
    Surround and flank for additional +2.
    So we are looking at +10 to hit, but still pitiful damage. But we've also spent virtually nothing. A little bit of fixing is needed.

    Wand of bulls strength gets us to +12/+4 on each skeleton. Prayer hits +13. wand Magic fang (easy to umd) gets us to +14/1d6+6.
    At 24 attacks, I am fairly certain average 228 damage potential can fell some cr 12s. Pretty sure we can get much higher, and it hasn't even cracked half a lvl 7's wbl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    So, your roleplaying guide is pretty much "Live Fast, Die Young, Leave a confusing corpse"?

  28. - Top - End - #58

    Default Re: skull lord and assume supernatural ability

    Quote Originally Posted by Calthropstu View Post
    8 attacks, 1d6 +2 +5 to hit. I thought it was 4, it was 4 of the other creature op mentioned, 3 for this one.

    8 attacks, it's all being controlled by a pc. Skull Lord is cr 7, so 7th level wbl. You add several buffs from wands, scrolls etc. Haste for 27 attacks, +6 to hit +2 to damage. Desecrate + portable altar for +2 to hit.
    Surround and flank for additional +2.
    So we are looking at +10 to hit, but still pitiful damage. But we've also spent virtually nothing. A little bit of fixing is needed.

    Wand of bulls strength gets us to +12/+4 on each skeleton. Prayer hits +13. wand Magic fang (easy to umd) gets us to +14/1d6+6.
    At 24 attacks, I am fairly certain average 228 damage potential can fell some cr 12s. Pretty sure we can get much higher, and it hasn't even cracked half a lvl 7's wbl.
    How are the Serpentirs casting the Wands of Bull's Strength and Wands of Prayers? You said they fell cr12 creatures "solo" and those buffs have to be cast in combat.
    Lets say you do get the buffs on them. +13 to hit at 28ac, that's a 70% chance to miss. 228 x 0.3 = 69 damage potential. But that's assuming the Formian myrmarch stands still instead of moving around with its 50ft move speed.

    Core only, 7th level wizards with access to scrolls can get their hands on two 12hd hydra skeletons.
    Less extreme example, the 7th level wizards should have two Frost Giant skeletons.
    By your logic 7th level wizards at WBL is beyond "silly". Especially since unlike the Serpentirs, they can be further buffed with corpsecrafter feats. Which means Animate Dead needs to be removed from the game.

  29. - Top - End - #59
    Troll in the Playground
     
    GreenSorcererElf

    Join Date
    Jul 2016

    Default Re: skull lord and assume supernatural ability

    Quote Originally Posted by magicalmagicman View Post
    How are the Serpentirs casting the Wands of Bull's Strength and Wands of Prayers? You said they fell cr12 creatures "solo" and those buffs have to be cast in combat.
    Lets say you do get the buffs on them. +13 to hit at 28ac, that's a 70% chance to miss. 228 x 0.3 = 69 damage potential. But that's assuming the Formian myrmarch stands still instead of moving around with its 50ft move speed.

    Core only, 7th level wizards with access to scrolls can get their hands on two 12hd hydra skeletons.
    Less extreme example, the 7th level wizards should have two Frost Giant skeletons.
    By your logic 7th level wizards at WBL is beyond "silly". Especially since unlike the Serpentirs, they can be further buffed with corpsecrafter feats. Which means Animate Dead needs to be removed from the game.
    No. The Skull Lord solos the encounter. It is the skull lord buffing them.

    And yes, Animate Dead is fairly broken as well.

    Edit:

    The problem with all of this is that unlike animate dead, the skull lord has this as infinite use. It's not just "I create three serpentirs," it's "I create 3 serpentirs. Oh no they all died. Well, I create 3 more serpentirs. Oh no, they all died. Well, 3 more."

    Even without buffs, that will eventually kill anything without dr 10 or renewable healing.
    Last edited by Calthropstu; 2021-02-27 at 06:38 PM.

  30. - Top - End - #60

    Default Re: skull lord and assume supernatural ability

    Quote Originally Posted by Calthropstu View Post
    No. The Skull Lord solos the encounter. It is the skull lord buffing them.

    And yes, Animate Dead is fairly broken as well.

    Edit:

    The problem with all of this is that unlike animate dead, the skull lord has this as infinite use. It's not just "I create three serpentirs," it's "I create 3 serpentirs. Oh no they all died. Well, I create 3 more serpentirs. Oh no, they all died. Well, 3 more."

    Even without buffs, that will eventually kill anything without dr 10 or renewable healing.
    dont undead have a rule that if it dies it stays dead and can only be revived via revive undead spell?

    and at cr12 virtually everything has dr and renewable healing. it actually might be literally everything. havent seen a monster without either in forever.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •