New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Default Sneak attack situations

Hi there,

I have a player who is thinking of going Warpreist at 1st level, then cross classing into Rogue at 2nd level, and he is going to take an ability to use hexes. And the hex in question is Summer Heat, as he wants to use it to try and get sneak attack. I am not sure if this would work.

Now he's theory is: use the hex, as if the target fails, then he should be able to get his sneak attack on the target.
    So from my understanding this could not happen, as fatigue only gives you a negative to the dex, and not denies it. I could be wrong, hence the question.

If a rogue can catch an opponent when he is unable to defend himself effectively from her attack, she can strike a vital spot for extra damage.

[B]"The rogue’s attack deals extra damage anytime her target would be denied a Dexterity bonus to AC (whether the target actually has a Dexterity bonus or not), or when the rogue flanks her target. This extra damage is 1d6 at 1st level, and increases by 1d6 every two rogue levels thereafter. Should the rogue score a critical hit with a sneak attack, this extra damage is not multiplied. Ranged attacks can count as sneak attacks only if the target is within 30 feet.

With a weapon that deals nonlethal damage (like a sap, whip, or an unarmed strike), a rogue can make a sneak attack that deals nonlethal damage instead of lethal damage. She cannot use a weapon that deals lethal damage to deal nonlethal damage in a sneak attack, not even with the usual –4 penalty.

The rogue must be able to see the target well enough to pick out a vital spot and must be able to reach such a spot. A rogue cannot sneak attack while striking a creature with concealment."[B]

Effect The witch surrounds her target with oppressive heat, dealing a number of points of nonlethal damage equal to her witch level and causing the target to become fatigued. The target can attempt a Fortitude save to reduce this nonlethal damage by half and negate the fatigued condition. Whether or not the target succeeds at this save, it can’t be the target of this hex again for 1 day.

Fatigued
    A fatigued character can neither run nor charge and takes a –2 penalty to Strength and Dexterity. Doing anything that would normally cause fatigue causes the fatigued character to become exhausted. After 8 hours of complete rest, fatigued characters are no longer fatigued.

Now it is a nice idea, but I am not sure if this works. Please could you help.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Sneak attack situations

Quote Originally Posted by Scottlang View Post
    So from my understanding this could not happen, as fatigue only gives you a negative to the dex, and not denies it.
    You are correct.

Note that there are warpriest spells that would allow sneak attack (e.g. Hold Person, or even Summon Monster to get a flanking buddy), as well as hexes (e.g. Slumber). But really, what I recommend instead is two levels in Ninja, so you can go invisible as a swift action, and get sneak attack because you're invis.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Along the same lines i guess

I am playing a Musket master 5 / Rogue 4 how do i get to include sneak attack damage in consecutive rounds from range.

I am new to this forum and am not sure if i posted in the correct place, my apologies.
    Last edited by UBU; 2021-10-25 at 12:07 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

The Mod on the Silver Mountain: Sneak Attack doesn't work on the dead.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2